PDA

View Full Version : DIY Horsefly Trap Plans

Aggie4Bar
May. 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
Does anyone have plans for building a bomber trap? Any luck with homemade vs. the uber pricey store-bought variety?

draftdriver
May. 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
I built one similar to this: http://alamance.ces.ncsu.edu/files/library/1/TABANID_Trap.pdf

I didn't catch any horse flies with it, but I've heard that others have had better luck.

Drive NJ
May. 24, 2012, 01:45 PM
We built this kind
friends also have it

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/greenheads.htm

we used leftover plywood - which I like because it can stand on its own in wind without staking down
but its heavier and takes maintenance

our friends built the trap using heavy duty contractor plastic bags to make the sides - jus staple onto a wood frame - WaLa

we have used plastic lidded food storage containers with the inserted cone for the collector
(our friends have used recycled thin plastic pastry containers and they have worked)

In either case you need some kind of strap to go over the container to hold it onto the trap

I know our trap catches LOTS of the biting nasties - as does our friends
we are just up from a river and greenheads are rampant and will end riding sessions in the summer due to nasty biting the horses to distraction

Good Luck

Aggie4Bar
May. 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
So concept-wise, the trap simply attracts the fly with something dark beneath the trap, after which they fly upward into the container? I think we can rig something up like that.

draftdriver: Do you think yours is just too close to the ground to be fully effective?

We have a boatload of horseflies this year. Surrounded by woods, and we've had pretty good rain this year to boost their numbers. Spraying the horses the other night just meant that I got attacked. Got bit through my pantlegs :mad: and ended up doing a partial striptease to get one out of my shirt. Hate the things!

ksojerio
May. 24, 2012, 04:19 PM
I built one similar to this: http://alamance.ces.ncsu.edu/files/library/1/TABANID_Trap.pdf

I didn't catch any horse flies with it, but I've heard that others have had better luck.

Wow! that's sooooome fly trap.

I make a disposable trap from empty 2 liter soda bottles. For bait I've used either a chemical attractant or rotten meat in a water solution. These are hung is trees near the corrals to draw flys away from horses and trap them.

threedogpack
May. 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
was just reading about this. Ammonia in the trap is supposed to be attractive to the flies and/or octenol (mosquito attractant).

NEWT
May. 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
Husband built the one that Drive NJ posted about. It worked pretty well! ... but not as well as the commercial one we purchased last year... ummm, I think its called the epps trap?

Anyway, it works fabulously. It attracted and caught so many deer and horse flies that this year we are so far (knock on wood) deer fly, horse fly free... for now. June is around the corner and they turn up in great numbers then so we shall see what results we have. I'm optimistic!

draftdriver
May. 25, 2012, 09:54 AM
draftdriver: Do you think yours is just too close to the ground to be fully effective?

I was improvising when I built it. I used dark green garbage bags for the bottom cover. Perhaps my problem was that I used a small WHITE plastic vitamin bucket as the lure rather than a black ball. I made the inside trap out of a large-mouthed jar and a bit of leftover window screen for the cone part inside of that. My contraption was light enough that I had to stake it down.

I built it in the barn aisle, in full view of the horses. When I put it outside and turned the horses out, they seemed to think an alien spacecraft had landed in the pasture! :lol: