PDA

View Full Version : what's the difference?

Alagirl
May. 22, 2012, 05:12 PM
Between the 6 dollar rope handle bucket from Walmart and a muck tub?

Calvincrowe
May. 22, 2012, 05:21 PM
The quality of the plastic, for the most part. I bought two muck buckets and one "cheapo imitation". The muck buckets have been kicked by the horses, and hit by the tractor, but are still looking good. El Cheapo was in 3 pieces after 2 years. There you go.

jawa
May. 22, 2012, 05:27 PM
Quality and thickness of plastic. El cheapo doesn't weigh the same as a true muck tub.

buck22
May. 22, 2012, 05:42 PM
ditto the above. I have both and use both on a daily basis, there are some instances I prefer one over the other. I actually prefer the Wallmart one for filling hay nets because the handles are slightly smaller and the net slips over them more easily.

When I need a heavy job, I use the Muck tub proper, when light will do the Wallmart one.

In all fairness both have stood up equally well for me for nearly 5 years.

Hampton Bay
May. 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
I guess I've never used the "real deal". I use the cheap ones and they seem to hold up just fine. But then I really just use them to feed hay out of since my horses are out 24/7.

CHT
May. 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
The cheap ones are particularly bad if you let them get cold...they will shatter with the slightest provocation.

Alagirl
May. 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
The cheap ones are particularly bad if you let them get cold...they will shatter with the slightest provocation.

LOL, good to know. Thankfully we don't get it THAT cold here.

(I am about to drill holes in the newly acquired 6$ job to plant my hops in it.)
:D

Ambitious Kate
May. 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
I like using the el cheapos for water tubs - at 5.00 each, and lasting about two years, they are just fine. The heavy ones are heavy - yeah they last, but not that much more that I want to lift and extra 10 pounds when the others work just fine for me.

pAin't_Misbehavin'
May. 22, 2012, 07:54 PM
(I am about to drill holes in the newly acquired 6$ job to plant my hops in it.)
:D

Ooh, just a PSA that's totally OT, but did you know

hops are very poisonous to dogs?

I didn't until my home-brewer DH told me.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along.

I never use muck tubs. I've never been really sure what they were for, actually. I just use a wheelbarrow.:)

Alagirl
May. 22, 2012, 08:03 PM
Ooh, just a PSA that's totally OT, but did you know

hops are very poisonous to dogs?

I didn't until my home-brewer DH told me.
Interesting. Never heard of that. (maybe he was just trying to keep dog out of his precious supplies?)

Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along. :cool:

I never use muck tubs. I've never been really sure what they were for, actually. I just use a wheelbarrow.:)

:lol:

I never heard there was a beast like that til I joined the intrawebz...wheelbarrows seem so much more practical. Alas, they seem to have a million uses away from the manure pile! :cool:

pAin't_Misbehavin'
May. 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
Interesting. Never heard of that. (maybe he was just trying to keep dog out of his precious supplies?)
l:

Not saying DH would not be capable of such a thing, since he often feels that around here dogs have. all. the. things.:), but in this instance, it appears, tis true. (http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/05/09/hops-and-dogs/)

Alagirl
May. 22, 2012, 08:25 PM
Not saying DH would not be capable of such a thing, since he often feels that around here dogs have. all. the. things.:), but in this instance, it appears, tis true. (http://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/05/09/hops-and-dogs/)

it actually makes sense somewhat: warm beer (and I mean warmer than room temp) is supposed to make you sweat. A good thing when you are sick, bad when you can't sweat....