PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried thickerpasture.com microbes to improve grass?

dogbluehorse
May. 22, 2012, 07:18 AM
I came across this website
www.thickerpasture.com
where they are advertising some magic microbes that you spray on the soil, and theoretically dramatically improves root growth resulting in thicker pasture, faster grass growth, etc. It's pretty expensive, over $700 to treat 32 acres (1 gallon), they are also selling an 8oz bottle to treat 4 acres for $176. Was wondering whether anyone has tried it.

SkipHiLad4me
May. 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
I have no experience with the product but as with most products like that, you're better to spend your money on lime and fertilizer :yes: Tried and true method of getting thicker, faster growth and stronger roots!

Katy Watts
May. 22, 2012, 08:11 PM
Our neighbor thought he could use microbes instead of fertilizer. He went broke, and sold the farm.

You can sometimes get a season of enhanced breakdown of organic matter that will release nutrients, IF you have a high OM soil. Generally these companies originate in areas with such soil. Then when that's gone, you are SOL. OM is valuable for a lot of things. I don't think one should mine it for short term gain. I'd rather it stay there for the long haul.
Katy Watts
a professional crop consultant

dogbluehorse
May. 22, 2012, 08:42 PM
Our neighbor thought he could use microbes instead of fertilizer. He went broke, and sold the farm.

You can sometimes get a season of enhanced breakdown of organic matter that will release nutrients, IF you have a high OM soil. Generally these companies originate in areas with such soil. Then when that's gone, you are SOL. OM is valuable for a lot of things. I don't think one should mine it for short term gain. I'd rather it stay there for the long haul.
Katy Watts
a professional crop consultant
Thanks for the advice. I figured it was like the stuff they advertise on Sky Mall to make your hair grow back/get rid of gray/other unlikely miracles, but no harm in asking! We live in MA, and soil quality is not great where we happen to be, so we're struggling to establish good paddocks. Using fertilizer, composted manure etc, but was wondering whether this would help.