PDA

View Full Version : Where to find used dressage saddles?

Blkarab
May. 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
I am on the search for a used dressage saddle, and I wanted to see if I could find out what websites were reliable? Or, where do most people go when looking for a saddle. I would prefer used and nothing too expensive.

I've already checked Ebay and also Craigslist.

Also...places to avoid?

I have a message out to my local GMO to see if anyone has anything they would like to sell.

TIA

Jo
May. 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
I purchased my Schleese from www.saddlesource.com and had an excellent experience.

CHT
May. 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
Try Trumbull Mountain Tack. They will have you send your info and horse's measurements to let you know if they have anything likely to fit, and if they don't, will give you ideas as to what makes to keep an eye out for.

Manahmanah
May. 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
I found a pretty nice dressage saddle over at Bucks County Saddlery.

http://www.bcsaddlery.com/

It's a shame horseman's outlet doesn't list the consignment section online, they have a ton of stuff.

merrygoround
May. 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
Heritage Saddlery-large two ,location selection

pelham-saddlery.com -don't leave out the dash in the address.

Melissa.Van Doren
May. 21, 2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet/the-Used-Saddles-cln-Dressage/Categories

Blkarab
May. 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
You guys Rock! Thank you!

2tempe
May. 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
If you have an idea of tree size needed and brand(s) that you like, www.dressagestar.com has lots of saddles; also tacktrader.com

tntrak
May. 21, 2012, 02:35 PM
Just bought a used Hermes Corlandus from FineUsed Saddles.com . They have some excellent upper end saddles used.

ako
May. 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
I second this one http://www.saddlesource.com/ as well as eBay.

There are probably folks on here who have something. What size and brands are you considering?

I'm about to put a Custom Saddlery Revolution on eBay when I get to it.

And of course many reps have used on hand.

Note about "Saddle Source" (aka Rick's)... They don't always post all their saddles online. I think especially if the saddle is in NJ.

KateWooten
May. 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
My Truck !

Depends on the area - Patti Merli travels with a great set of used saddles for trial too.

Velvet
May. 21, 2012, 03:21 PM
Try Trumbull Mountain Tack. They will have you send your info and horse's measurements to let you know if they have anything likely to fit, and if they don't, will give you ideas as to what makes to keep an eye out for.

Can't say enough about how wonderful Trumbull Mtn is to deal with! They're great!

alto
May. 21, 2012, 03:49 PM
My Truck !

Depends on the area - Patti Merli travels with a great set of used saddles for trial too.

I'll send you my address :winkgrin: - you like to drive cross countries don't you :yes:

Blkarab
May. 21, 2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm not wanting anything very expensive...this is for my mare who has been out of work for some time. I just need something that I can feel comfortable in and fits her well. She's very sensitive and the wrong saddle can be disasterous for her.

I'm looking for an 18" medium tree. Nothing fancy. I would prefer to stay away from Wintec however...I had one a long time ago, and it wasn't a good fit for me.

I have used a Passier GG on her before and it fit like a glove. My current saddle is a Cliff-Barnsby and fits me awesome, but not her. My gelding is a completely different build, so I'm unable to swap saddles :(

We are located in the Midwest.

alto
May. 21, 2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone.
I'm not wanting anything very expensive...this is for my mare who has been out of work for some time. I just need something that I can feel comfortable in and fits her well. She's very sensitive and the wrong saddle can be disasterous for her.

It's rather unlikely that the saddle which fits her well now (as she comes back into work) will do so when she's muscled up - I'd look for something very adjustable (how much really depends in what level) or just accept that this will be a temporary saddle (unfortunately even going with an adjustable tree saddle is no guarantee, tho it usually extends the time over which a given saddle will fit - again this very much depends on what you & horse are doing).

I'd look for wool flocked panels at this stage & a generous fit on the tree.
If a Passier GG is still likely to fit her, there are lots on the used market - I think there are even some older "what fits like a Passier GG" threads :)

Marshfield
May. 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Pelham Saddlery is another good source

Niennor
May. 21, 2012, 05:34 PM
Got mine from Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Passier-Dressage-Saddle-GT-Georg-Theodorescu-17-5in-seat-27-5-cm-width-/320879364629?pt=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item4ab5e68a15#ht_1314wt_1163

But they got a shop outside Ebay as well
http://shop.mindbuzzler.com/

Tasker
May. 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
I've bought off of Ebay with decent results - one saddle was the wrong size another had more scratches than were described/photographed but more often than not, the experiences have been good. I'm not motivated enough to have quibbled about the prices with the sellers - just chalked it up to bad luck and gotten on with the next thing.

HorseClicks (http://www.horseclicks.com/saddles-for-sale) has a free listing section for saddles. I've browsed the listings and listed ours that are for sale (sold 2 so far) and it seems to get a fair amount of traffic.

Good luck OP!

Renaissance Lady
May. 21, 2012, 06:22 PM
Well, you might try www.hastilowusa.com . I was looking at their website this past weekend and they seemed to have a good selection of used dressage saddles (an assortment of brands). I have gotten two from them and have been extremely happy with mine. They are very good about helping you get the proper fit. Would probably have you take a couple of tracings of the back, photos, etc. and help you obtain the proper fit, if you are ordering it through the mail--and if close enough, would come do a proper saddle fitting for you.

Guardian1
May. 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
www.fineusedsaddles.com!! AMAZING website!!

Blkarab
May. 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Yes...I know what fits her now, will likely not fit her later when she gets back into shape. The Horse of Course is local here, and Marty has already agreed to adjust whatever saddle I settle on, so I'm not too concerned about that...and yes, I prefer wool flocked. The main concern right now, is finding something that fits us both for now. We can adjust later. Which is why I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new saddle...I just did that last July for my other horse, lol.

I will check out the Passier thread...and I'm looking at all the links to the websites.

I have 2 saddles out on trial from HOC, and will see how they fit tonight.

Satchel85
May. 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
www.mmtackshop.com is also great :)