PDA

View Full Version : What did you pay to run water lines/auto water/frost free hydrant?

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
I realize this is going to vary by location, I'm just looking for completely ballpark/guestimate figures from anyone willing to share. The farm I'm looking at has a defunct well and that's the only frost free hydrant. The current owners run a hose to the east pasture from the house.

Pasture is 40-50 feet from the closest side of the house. Probably 60 feet from the outside line.

ANY idea what trenching runs per foot? Do they just hook into the house?

Any idea on what a heated waterer (Nelson, Ritchie type) costs to install? There would be only a few horses in this pasture. It is not the main pasture, but that is currently planted in alfalfa and not fenced.

Yes we freeze deep here. Any tips or advice on all of this is appreciated! The pasture that is fenced was one I had only planned to use in the summer for rotation, so maybe installing a waterer isn't the best allocation of funds. The main pasture is on the west side of the property (this is along the east boundary).

I wasn't planning on moving horses home if we got this place for a year, but the horse I donated last year to a theraputic riding center is not going to work out for them after all. So now I'm scrambling a bit. Of course I don't even own this farm yet...so if hypothetical questions totally annoy you please don't worry about answering!! :-)

SPF10
May. 21, 2012, 12:58 PM
Totally new construction, Bar Bar A waterer so no heater needed. In Maryland, did the trenching ourselves. 125 ft from well to tackroom where storage tank and hot water heater are, and just through the tack room wall to the wash stall. Approx. another 115 ft line to frost free hydrant by run in and split off approx. 50 ft, to go to the waterer. Total cost was approximately $3800.00 we only did the trenching and supplied the waterer, plumber supplied everything else.

jess h
May. 21, 2012, 01:08 PM
In my previous life, we did the waterers ourselves (trenching 4' down, going deeper at the waterer for geothermal heat, pouring the cement, laying water and electric for a heater, etc.) for around $4k per waterer, using the medium-sized Nelsons. They were ~ 300' from the house, but the cost was largely in the unit. We ran them off the house, which was fed by a good well.

Your mileage may vary. Best of luck!

2DogsFarm
May. 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
This will definitely be ballpark:
8 years ago I paid $800 to have a line run from the house 250' to the barn and a frostfree hydrant put inside the barn.
This was done by the son of a friend of my hayguy whose Dad was a plumber, so probably less than a "regular" plumber.
But he did a good job - in 8 years the only time the pump froze was when I left if unwrapped & not-quite-off in the dead of Winter :uhoh:

If it's just a couple of horses and you have electric run to the pasture, consider using one of the 16gal heated buckets that look like muck tubs.
I have 5gal heated buckets in my stalls - which are open to the elements year-round - & they never freeze.

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 21, 2012, 02:08 PM
If it is 40-50 feet to a grounded outdoor outlet do you really need to run electric or can you use an extension cord (inside of pvc or something critter proof)? Is it terrible that I asked that? LOL! It really would be just for one winter...

JB
May. 21, 2012, 02:26 PM
I just did this - $4/foot for the digging and the pipe, and IIRC my hydrant was about $400 (might be off a bit, wasn't MORE than that).

But, we only have to go down about 18", so I'm sure the cost per foot would go up if you have to go significantly deeper.

JB
May. 21, 2012, 02:28 PM
If it is 40-50 feet to a grounded outdoor outlet do you really need to run electric or can you use an extension cord (inside of pvc or something critter proof)? Is it terrible that I asked that? LOL! It really would be just for one winter...

I totally run a heavy duty (12g) extension cord from the house to the water tub about 50' from the outlet for the Winter. I've done that for 8 Winters now, never any trouble

tangledweb
May. 21, 2012, 03:56 PM
I got a quote for $4K to install a nelson <100 feet from existing power and water.

I'm going to do it myself. The waterer cost me $600. I've not bought the other supplies yet but expect it'll end up costing a bit over $1k and 2 days work.

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 21, 2012, 04:36 PM
I got a quote for $4K to install a nelson <100 feet from existing power and water.

I'm going to do it myself. The waterer cost me $600. I've not bought the other supplies yet but expect it'll end up costing a bit over $1k and 2 days work.

How wide/deep of a cement pad are you going to put down around the waterer?

tangledweb
May. 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
How wide/deep of a cement pad are you going to put down around the waterer?

I've not read the install instructions to see what they recommend, but the ones that came with the property are set on octagonal pads that are about 2' across. I don't think it would need to be very thick.

update: The install guides are online
http://www.nelsonmfg.com/pdf/700installation.pdf
They recommend a pad 4' to 5' across and 5" deep.

2DogsFarm
May. 21, 2012, 05:11 PM
TTP:
I did not put down any cement pad around my hydrant - just a dry well of gravel (septic grade - about 2" chunks).

And if you do use a HD extension cord by all means encase it in something horseproof!

I've had mine running to the trough (50gal PVC barrel) just outside my barn for 7 years and just this Winter "someone" <coughcough: Hackney Pony!> decided it was fun to deconstruct, remove the sinking de-icer and pull the cord out of the PVC it was run through :mad:

I had the cord in 3" PVC that ran to the bottom of the trough then up through an elbow joint and more PVC to the ground and then tunneled through to the outlet inside the barn.
Apparently this year I need to reinforce & ponyproof that system.