PDA

View Full Version : Attacking insect.. What is it??? (Photo Added, Post#4)

Aggie4Bar
May. 20, 2012, 11:21 PM
I plan to call my exterminator tomorrow. Not expecting a solution as much as finding out what the heck in dealing with.

Each time I open the gate between my paddock and pasture, I get attacked by some kamikaze flying insect. It buzzes loudly, like a mini chopper zooming in, which freaks me out. Whatever it is, it's in one particular tree near my gate. If I walk past, I get buzzed. Hubby was on the tractor today and kept getting buzzed and bumped. When I crept up for a closer look, there were some beetle-like things scurrying up and down the tree. They were not there at dusk, but the fly-by warnings and collisions only occur during the daytime.

I've studied the tree looking for nests and don't see anything. I've googled for an hour looking for agressive beetles. The things I saw crawling back and forth did not look like bees, but the do act like them. No stings yet, just some deliberate warnings to go away.

What the hell is in my tree????

sketcher
May. 21, 2012, 06:36 AM
A picture would help. What kind of tree is it?

saje
May. 21, 2012, 06:50 AM
Did they look like this:?

http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/images/b-txt/bimg142.html

They are loud loud loud, and seem to not care what they fly into but aren't actually aggressive, just busy and clumsy.

Aggie4Bar
May. 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
I put my ninja skills to work at 7am this morning and got a photo. These things are only about 1/2" long and move like little beetles. However, zooming in reveals that they are probably some type of wasp. I've done more googling of ground and tree wasps/hornets/bees and still cannot identify this thing. As stated, there have been no stings (yet), but they are quite aggressive with the bumping and dive-bombing.

Sorry for the blur. Iphone photo and very zoomed in.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e93/aggie4bar/wasp.jpg

UPDATE: Texas A&M id'd it for me. It's a variety of Longhorn Beetle (go figure, Longhorn on an Aggie property...:rolleyes:). In spite of its foul temper, it's not a threat to people. Its presence doesn't bode well for the tree, however. :no:

deltawave
May. 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
Probably some type of carpenter bee--the males defensively hover around the hole where the female is laying eggs. They're aggressive about "buzzing" you but don't sting.

Bacardi1
May. 21, 2012, 02:30 PM
That's definitely not any type of Carpenter Bee - it's some sort of wasp. If there are a lot of them going up into that tree, chances are better than excellent there's a nest somewhere.

See what an expert says. Some wasps aren't particularly dangerous re: stinging until the nest is completed & egg-laying begins. Then there can be serious trouble.