PDA

View Full Version : Helmet, pad, coat and rider hair question

flbay
May. 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
Venturing into my first USDF show since 09, second ever!

Now that the helmet rule is in place, what general type is seen most in the dressage ring? Matte black, grey stripe down the middle, material, felt? I ride in a J3 Charles Owen - the bowler looking one with a black material cover and a brim that flips up. Would that be ok or scream eventer?

My hair is very very short..but sticks out about 3 inches under my helmet...too short for a hair net, I can sometimes get some pins in in, but it is very layered. Any suggestion for how to look my neatest?

What color pads are seen most commonly? I have both black and white. Assuming true dressage pad and not the slightly smaller pad or swallowtail pad from a few years ago...I have a black one of those I have never used. I would guess that they are out now??

My coat is black with a little charcoal undertones...is that still ok?

Thanks in advance for input!

2tempe
May. 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
Helmet: you will be fine. Does the brim stay up or can you flip it down? If so, I would.

Hair: if you can't wear a hairnet because it will stick out all the holes. I would plaster down the "out" part w/ some type of hair goo so it doesn't move and head on into the ring.

Jacket: You will be fine

Pad: white is first choice, black would be ok, skip the swallowtail.

Interestingly, if you stand ringside, you will see all kinds of stuff. Though traditional is the norm, there is IMO a wider range of free thinkers than you would see elsewhere. Really, the judges don't care much so long as you are neat and tidy and not off the chart w/ a wacko ensemble.

Petstorejunkie
May. 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
Regarding the hair: I have a crazy pixie cut a little like this (http://www.knotforlife.com/images/hairstyles/celebrity/victoria-beckham.jpg) and for shows and clinics what I do is add some mouse, or gel or whatever to it while it's wet and slick it back all guido mafia style, then slap a hairnet on THAT.
works like a charm, but looks fugly when you don't have a helmet or hat on.

pn
May. 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
You can put your hairnet on, and then make the loose extra part into a hairnet ponytail and flip it up under your helmet.

netg
May. 21, 2012, 11:01 AM
I love the haircut in that pic!

My hair is very fine and one hairnet doesn't work for it. I use two not evenly lined up, just the kind you get at a drug store not a horse-specific one, and that works for me. I also try to make sure my hair isn't as clean as I would like it on a daily basis - not washing it after my horse's bath tends to help, for example, and maybe overdoing it with product. Otherwise the gelled back while wet and stick a hairnet on technique can help.

As for the rest - sounds fine, as others have said.

I still use a velvet helmet because I prefer it. Though I suppose when I retire this one I will go for one of the newer "sporty" styles... Certainly no one gives me funny looks for my more traditional and less current helmet look.

flbay
May. 21, 2012, 12:19 PM
PSJ, that is essentially the cut I have!

Thanks everyone for the input.

jcotton
May. 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
my hair is short, just long enough to style but not a pony tail or contain neatly under a helmet.
When I show I put a hair net on that is made by eriquestrian. To put it on, pull it over your head, once down below your ears, pull it up to the top of your head catching your short hair. I think of it as a 'do-rag' for riders. The website is www.reiquestrian.com.

Everything else you have will work.

PiaffePlease
May. 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
I have never seen a helmet like yours at any dressage show (schooling or rated). Maybe you can borrow one?

Your jacket will be fine, white pads are preferred but any conservative color will do.