PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my electric fence!!!!

Miss J
May. 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
I have a M120 Gallagher plug in charger, hot tape and plastic rods to make a portable fence for sections of my yard. This is so I can let my mare munch a little more green grass.

I 'thought' I could just plug 'er in, make a square with the posts and go. I started reading directions and realized I need three(?) galvanized grounding rods staked three feet apart and six feet deep! This isn't what I considered portable, since I don't even know how on earth I'll get these grounding rods out of the earth once driven in!!

Please someone advise me on how or what to do! Or any other portable electric fence advice you can give:). As well as can i use re-bar for my grounding rods?

Many thanks!

yellow-horse
May. 20, 2012, 05:37 PM
have you looked into bipolar tape from horse guard, i haven't used it but when i have to replace my traditional horseguard i' going to try it

ReSomething
May. 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
Electric fence is a lot less simple than it looks. But once you have the ground rods in you can expand all over the place and in the strangest directons. I have several little tape dividers to keep the horses out of the berry vines (delightful belly scratchers, not so good for my pie making dreams though) and all I have to do is tie or clip or hang the tape on to a charged tape or rope or wire to get it charged and keep them out.
You can use rebar for grounds.
For something really portable the bipolar seems to be the way to go.

Frank B
May. 20, 2012, 06:01 PM
If it's a very small area, say 30' X 30' and the ground is moist (which is often is under lush grass), you may be able to get away with one short rod driven a couple of feet into the ground. Radio Shack has them. (http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=ground%20rod&origkw=ground+rod&sr=1)

hosspuller
May. 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
For a small area ... like within 100 feet, I use a stainless steel rod 5/15 inch diameter x 36 inches long. Drive it into the earth and clip the ground lead to it. It has a loop at top so I can pull it out of the ground after a week-end of camping. If you keep your temp padock small you could use a similar rod.

Otherwise, make it a permanent installation and just keep the origin point. Kind of like an Etch-a-sketch. Start at the house and draw a line to the green grass with the tape, then a circle. Put the horses in the circle, then turn the fencer on.

Miss J
May. 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
Thank you everybody! (sorry don't know how to multi-quote and I am on my tiny iPhone screen) I did the re-bar thing, mare touched the tape once and is now happily eating away from it:)

When I was reading the directions, I could not believe the all the things you had to do to make the fence work!

Now all I have to do is train the damn deer to stay away from my berry bushes! Or no pies like you resomething:) ps- what kind of berry bushes do you have? All I have so far are raspberry, black current and saskatoon....

Thanks for the tips guys:)