PDA

View Full Version : Strapless vs. Rox Dene...

hunterested
Mar. 14, 2001, 05:21 AM
I will preface by saying I have not seen Strapless in person but after watching the Hunter Spectacular tape, I was reminded of the terms "manners and way of going". Did anyone see the flipping of her head, pinning of ears? I do appreciate her jumping consistancy but feel she is not nearly as spectacular as Rox Dene. To me Red Panda has a marvelous way of going and looks like his picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "hunter"! I realize that Strapless may have been the best of the trips that night, and I do not know if her emotions are regular or just apparent that evening but to me I'd take Rox Dene for her jump anyday. NO offense. Who's your pick?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hunterested
Mar. 14, 2001, 05:21 AM
I will preface by saying I have not seen Strapless in person but after watching the Hunter Spectacular tape, I was reminded of the terms "manners and way of going". Did anyone see the flipping of her head, pinning of ears? I do appreciate her jumping consistancy but feel she is not nearly as spectacular as Rox Dene. To me Red Panda has a marvelous way of going and looks like his picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "hunter"! I realize that Strapless may have been the best of the trips that night, and I do not know if her emotions are regular or just apparent that evening but to me I'd take Rox Dene for her jump anyday. NO offense. Who's your pick?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Private Dancer
Mar. 14, 2001, 05:25 AM
Strapless is a lovely horse, no question, but Rox Dene, hands down. (And I have seen them both go - "live").

JustJumpIt19
Mar. 14, 2001, 05:27 AM
Rox Dene all the way. People who don't ride horses have even heard of her! She's the classic hunter to me.

****Courtney****

barb
Mar. 14, 2001, 06:15 AM
Strapless seems to REALLY flip her tail too! I have never seen this in a big time hunter...Did Rox Dene do the same. I think she's a gorgeous horse but slooking at the pictures on towerheads, I really noticed the tail flip...But I would die to have any nice hunter like her!

AHC
Mar. 14, 2001, 06:25 AM
Between the two, I'd probably pick Rox Dene, although I think Strapless is pretty amazing. She has great form, uses her hind end, jumps the jump with ease, etc. The little things she did that showed she was a horse and not an automaton didn't bother me. Overall, I thought she seemed to be enjoying her job!

Personally, I was pleased that some of the horses showed signs of life instead of just dullness and that the judges didn't severely penalize a tail flip over a jump, an exhuberent lead change or a teeny bit of playing in a corner.

And yes, I would agree that Red Panda is a lovely horse, looks and goes like a classic hunter and since he's only a first year horse, we can assume he'll get better and better.

barb
Mar. 14, 2001, 06:48 AM
You have a good point!! A little more spunk and life to her is a good thing...She truely dows have a beautiful jump and I guess the tail flip is a sign that she is using her ENTIRE body to get over those big jumps!!!

Duffy
Mar. 14, 2001, 06:50 AM
I fell in love with Southern Flight and Rob Graves' new chestnut horse from the tape!

As far as Strapless vs. Rox Dene....No comparison IMO. Rox Dene all the way!

ErinB
Mar. 14, 2001, 09:31 AM
Well, I've never seen Rox Dene "live". I saw Strapless (and really liked her) but from what I've heard, Rox Dene.

I'm glad someone brought up Red Panda. What an awesome, awesome, awesome horse. I'd give almost anything to have that horse at my barn!

Horse On Course (http://www.virtue.nu/hoc/hoc.htm)
The Horse Show World Online!

Becca
Mar. 14, 2001, 09:53 AM
I agree- there is NO comparisson. Rox Dene was superb, from beginning to end. That style and flair ahs something that Strapless has not quite got. Strapless is beautiful, and can jump! but not Rox Dene.

Someone mentioned that the tail might be an extension of that awesome back cracking roundness she has- as the tail is part of the back bone, makes sense to me...any validity in that??

And I agree AHC, a bit of life is nice to see. Although ears laid back is one of the things to me (tiny though it is!) that really makes me cringe. For some reason to me it takes the polish right out of the trip. I'm being pickypickypicky here, but i LOVE seeing earsa pricked and a great big wow i'm loving this! expression.

AHC
Mar. 14, 2001, 09:56 AM
Becca, I think we're pretty much in agreement. Must say I don't remember Strapless pinning her ears, but I could be wrong. Or maybe it's just that I own a mare and have gotten used to a bit of tail swishing and ear pinning and don't "see" it the same way some others do.

Becca
Mar. 14, 2001, 11:45 AM
AHC- Ear Pinning in general- not pinning that one on Strapless!!:) But its all the time in the hutners that they'r all pinning those ears. I like a bit of it is from being sour.

DMK
Mar. 14, 2001, 12:18 PM
I agree on the ear pinning, although some horses are doing it as a sign of concentration, so it's tough to figure out which from the judge's booth (although if it comes with inverted neck, tail wringing and a stop, it's not so hard).

As for the tail action she displays, since I come from a QH background, it's expected that I prefer a quieter tail (but not nerved quiet, in case there are righteously indignant people lurking!!!).... BUT, her tail flipping really just comes from an extremely athletic back end - the laws of physics are tough to fight!

As for the comparison between Rox Dene and Strapless... Sure, Strapless is every bit as good as Rox Dene... just as soon as she hops in a time machine and goes back and wins the national title in the 1st and 2nd years, does the conformation AND keeps it up in the workings for another couple of years... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

RumoursFollow
Mar. 14, 2001, 12:32 PM
I hate nothing more than to watch a horse go around with that crinkled up nose and ears pinned. After watching several rounds of this at Ocala last weekend, I turned to someone and said you know, if my horse ever hated his job that much, I'd just retire him. Shoot.. its not worth it to me because my horse means the world to me. But then again, he doesnt jump like Strapless! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Not that Strapless is that bad.. I dont know where I'm going with this post LOL

I like Rox Dene better.. I just thought she was breathtaking to watch.

horsenut
Mar. 14, 2001, 12:40 PM
but I was fortunate to be present at the AHJF Hunter Classic last month. Strapless is certainly a gorgeous jumper. I would say only that it's just too soon for comparisons. She doesn't have to win the same things Rox Dene did to be considered as great someday, but she will need to stand the test of time. I never heard of her until last year but even then she won a lot with Lyman T. Whitehead. Let's give her a chance to be great!

I also have to agree with whoever mentioned Southern Flight ... another beautiful jumper. It was so sad to see him take a spill in the middle of a perfect 2nd round.

MissD
Mar. 14, 2001, 01:10 PM
Can anyone post some pics of these two horses? I must have been living under a rock and I've never seen either of them. Only heard of them last month. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Mar. 14, 2001, 01:20 PM
sorry that I can't do that, but this thread is making me have another Mandy moment... One of the greatest hunters/jumpers (junior/AA/puddle when he was 26)ever, and a stud to boot... If you guys get tired of seeing his pictures, just say so.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1198441&a=8834796&p=28736327&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1198441&a=8834796&p=28752148&Sequence=0&res=high

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1198441&a=8834796&p=28752147&Sequence=0&res=high

dublin
Mar. 14, 2001, 01:43 PM
Here's a great picture of her. I have it as wallpaper on my computer and just sigh and drool everytime I look at it! I never saw her in person, but based on this picture, I would have to say all the comments about her in this topic are right on the money.....

MissD
Mar. 14, 2001, 01:58 PM
Jaime Lynn, aka Silly Mommy--Mandy is amazing, look at those knees! I love the pic with his mane flying all over the place. He looks like a sweetie. I know he was everything to you and I am offering you a virtual hug. You can come cry with me anytime you want. I'll never get tired of seeing Mandy pics!

RumoursFollow
Mar. 14, 2001, 02:24 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with MissD Silly Mommmy... what a beautiful, classic horse he was.

Palisades
Mar. 14, 2001, 02:45 PM
There are a lot of really fancy, scopey horses in the hunter ring today... Strapless, Red Panda, Oszcar, Most Wanted, etc etc. Rox Dene is the one that remains legendary because of her consistency. If Strapless continues to put down the same flawless trips time after time for another 5 years, then we can start comparing her to Rox Dene.

Mar. 14, 2001, 03:09 PM
I do have one of his clones, and if I don't sell her first, plan on bringing her out in the First Years soon....

RumoursFollow
Mar. 14, 2001, 03:14 PM
SM-- Goodness!! It has that same lovely look, just like daddy!! What a nice baby. Its for sale??

:::checking bank account::: too bad I'm broke! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mar. 14, 2001, 04:02 PM
that were never for sale (for the right price). One was Mandarin, and the other is a coming 28 yr old schoolie that we've had since he was 3. He's still doing the beginning jumping lessons, but I can't put really little kids on him because he has too much "spunk"!!!LOL

April was 4 in that picture, and has matured significantly since then--she'll be 6 in April!!!! Wonderful mind/mover/everything, you should see her over 4'!!!!!!!!

Jane
Mar. 14, 2001, 04:22 PM
I couldn't agree more with AHC's comment about showing "signs of life". /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've seen both mares go -- Rox Dene twice (unfortunately), and Strapless about a dozen times last year when she was still being shown by Lyman. I loved her from the first time I seen her go, so I can see why people are comparing her to Rox Dene. At the same time, I kinda feel bad for her for being compared to Rox Dene. There's no question Rox Dene was a freak, it won't be easy to find another like her, also, Strapless hasn't done as much at this point as Rox Dene had. . That said, I hope to see Strapless around for a long time. It's certainly exciting to have a star hunter to watch again....I was sad watching Holly last trip on Overdressed at the Garden in '99, knowing it was the last time I'd see the pair go...and what a wonderful way to wrap up a great partnership!!

Jair
Mar. 14, 2001, 04:36 PM
(good topic Hunterested!)

A quick question for those of you who are familiar with the top hunters:

Why was the big chesnut Oszcar so special? I saw some pictures of him jumping in championship classes and to me he looked like a clunky overgrown pony leaning towards the overweight side (not to mention splinterbellying a bit). I know he supposedly got a perfect 100 or something for one round, but when I compare pictures of him to those of the elegant Rox Dene, Strapless and that Red Panda who I think is fabulous, he just does not fit the bill for what I'd consider a champion hunter.

Any thoughts?

middkid
Mar. 14, 2001, 04:44 PM
I just watched the AHJF tape and I had to say I was a little let down seeing Strapless. Then again with all the hype going around I had expected to see another Rox Dene. She is really nice and I would die if I had her, but she seems a bit fresh and I though Southern Flight was a better jumper. Southern Flight, Red Panda, Dialog L, and Most Wanted were my favorites on the tape. Then again that was just one trip I have never seen Strapless live.
As for Oszcar I saw him go in Ocala and while he is pretty big in the belly, I thought he was adorable, but I like the ponyish ones so that is just my opinion. I thought he was a good jumper though, not as good as the ones that I loved on the AHJF tape though, but certainly good enough to be a champion hunter.

Mar. 14, 2001, 04:47 PM
to answer the previous question about Oszar, and any other horse that doesn't have the best form, but goes around pleasantly.

--Jaded

RumoursFollow
Mar. 14, 2001, 04:48 PM
I stalked.. I mean watched Osczar in Ocala this year, and although I never watched him do the regulars, in my opinion he has a great style as an amateur horse and Dawn is a lovely rider and decorates him beautifully. It was my observation that she did great on everything she rode down there. In fact, I walked away more impressed with Osczar than I was when I got down there. (and her other horse, Sagacious is great as well) I did, however, witness (God forbid) Dawn having some human moments as well... believe it or not she chips too. When she rides him at her best though, he is no less than a fabulous jumper. The first time I watched him in the ring, I was sitting on my horse out the ring and turned just in time to see her come down the diagonal and jump an oxer that was facing me. The way he jumps up to her and lofts in the air just couldnt be more beautiful to watch, in my opinion.

I agree though, that the hype around certain horses can be obnoxious at times and make the politics in this sport which are already fairly prevalent, worse. I'm sure though that Osczar had one heck of a trip to earn that 100 though.. I wish I could have seen him do the 4ft.

I'm hardly a judge, heck, I'm an amateur who does the 3ft on an easy horse. But I do know what jumps good and what jumps ugly... just because it is a good horse doesnt mean it has to jump 8 perfect jumps every time it goes in the ring... and that is especially evident if you got the video or watched the AHJF classic in person. Give those horses a break people..

[This message was edited by Rumour (NO S!!) on Mar. 14, 2001 at 07:53 PM.]

hunterested
Mar. 14, 2001, 06:57 PM
Let's face it, personal preference is what it's all about. Riders have preferences as well as judges. My "wonderhorse" has a great jump as well as elegance, way of moving and manners. I have always been a stickler on manners and tolerate zero negative emotion and very little sassy emotion. That may be fine at home or relaxing but in the showring, in that kind of company, it urks me. And what was with all the missed lead changes by the "stars"??? I am intrigued with all the ga ga over Strapless. Yes she is wonderful but do judges hear all this hoopla and are they ever influenced? I almost get tired of listening to all the drooling about her.

spaz
Mar. 14, 2001, 07:08 PM
Anyone have pictures? I'm pretty sure I've seen Oszcar somewhere, but I've only heard of the other 2 (I think.) Pics please!

RumoursFollow
Mar. 14, 2001, 07:28 PM

RumoursFollow
Mar. 14, 2001, 07:30 PM

Justbay
Mar. 14, 2001, 07:32 PM
I have to say I was there when Ozcar earned his 100. And he did THAT DAY! And it was fabulous - remember when you see him go now - it was several years ago when he did that at 4 foot.

Rox Dene was an incredible horse and a great match with Elizabeth - quite an amazing pair! Glad to know Rox Dene has a happy life now.

Strapless - Who knows??? A compliment to be compared to Rox Dene.

RumoursFollow
Mar. 14, 2001, 07:34 PM
I cant get the Osczar pic to work but here's a link...

http://www.towerheads.com/gallery/HorseRiderYear/O sczar,%20with%20%20Dawn%20Fogel%20%20%20No.%2048%2 0Picture%20of%20Year.jpg (http://www.towerheads.com/gallery/HorseRiderYear/Osczar,%20with%20%20Dawn%20Fogel%20%20%20No.%2048% 20Picture%20of%20Year.jpg)

Thats him and Dawn Fogel at Devon 2000.

daytimedrama
Mar. 14, 2001, 07:40 PM
no Rox Dene, but close? hehe, not really

~Christina~
"Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!" JD;Heathers

daytimedrama
Mar. 14, 2001, 07:50 PM
maybe you like this one?

~Christina~
"Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!" JD;Heathers

Twister
Mar. 15, 2001, 06:19 AM
I'm a little surprised by the hoopla around Strapless. She's a very nice horse, but I don't think she's a world beater. I don't think her pinned ears and wringing tail means she didn't leave it all on the lunge line, I think she's a grump.

Jair, Ozcar can certainly have those WB moments, but on the whole, is a pretty nice horse.

2Dogs
Mar. 15, 2001, 07:28 AM
I have looked at the tape several times now: I see darn nice horses. But....and this especially to Silly Mom who apparently has thoroughbreds: what I also see are a lot of big, chunky warmbloods. Southern Flight and Red Panda had, I thought, the most grace and lightness, what I used to see in the old days of the great thoroughbreds. I am thinking of getting back into the hunters after years in the jumpers, but do I really have to go find a big warmblood to be competitive? Aaargh ( and Rox Dene was an exception...).

Mar. 15, 2001, 09:34 AM
There are still TB's out there with the more substantial build, but you don't usually see them on the track. On the other hand, the WB/TB crosses are becoming extremely popular. I much prefer full TB's, but I do have a few 1/4 DWB, 3/4 TB babies, and Mandarin's last foal is the same cross as well.

Still prefer my full TB homebreds in temperament. JMO

Blinky
Mar. 15, 2001, 10:42 AM
I must be living under a rock. What tape are we talking about and where can I get it?

RumoursFollow
Mar. 15, 2001, 10:47 AM
Blinky- we're talking about the AHJF $100,000 Classic video. You can order it for about $50 from http://www.towerheads.com

Blinky
Mar. 15, 2001, 11:03 AM
Will do.

Robby Johnson
Mar. 15, 2001, 11:46 AM
I've read a lot about her in the Chronicle - a year or so ago - but don't know how she is bred. Is she a full TB? A WB/TB x?

I think she made a huge splash at CWEF this winter and everyone thought "Mare. Hunter. Rox Dene. Who's this horse?"

AFA the flipping of the tail - my own mare does this too. And it is because she really follows through behind. And it's something, like AHC mentioned, that you get used to when riding a mare.

Robby

Jane
Mar. 15, 2001, 12:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> what I also see are a lot of big, chunky warmbloods. Southern Flight and Red Panda had, I thought, the most grace and lightness <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personally prefer TBs too, or, WBs with lots of TB blood. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif IMHO, an ideal hunter is elegant and "stylish". /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Is Red Panda a TB? I know Socrates is, and also Don Graves' Axton Lane....I read in the COTH he raced through age 7. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

AHC
Mar. 15, 2001, 12:26 PM
Robby, I'm pretty sure Strapless is a Dutch Warmblood, though I don't know who her sire and dam are.

dublin
Mar. 15, 2001, 12:36 PM
Wasn't Rox Dene a WB/TB cross??

Twister
Mar. 15, 2001, 01:04 PM
Yes, she is, dublin. Aristos B is her sire.

AWIP
Mar. 16, 2001, 02:40 PM
After comparing the 2 photos of Strapless and Rox Dene I've got to say I like Strapless's front end much better.

Strapless has those wonderfully tight forearms that keep a horse as far from hitting the fence as possible. Rox Dene has the forearms that point at the ground and look pretty but I find myself wondering if the horse makes a mistake, aren't they MORE likely to hit a fence than with Strapless's style?

Granted they are both EXTRORDINARY horses ... and living works of art on course

Lisi
Mar. 16, 2001, 05:02 PM
about strapless's legs vs. rox dene's, i think that maybe the strapless kind of tucking up legs might lead to horse jumping over its shoulder too much. there's probly some problem with any way a horse can pick up its feet. still, i bet neither rox dene nor strapless would hit a fence or jump over their shoulder. (i have never seen either one 'live' so i really wouldnt know; this is my opinion from seeing the pics).

about osczar, i see what you mean that he is not always the prettiest jumper but he is very cute. classic importer also strikes me as being kind of an ugly jumper in pictures (again i havent seen either in person) but they both probly get over the jumps easily and efficiently.

G
Mar. 16, 2001, 05:57 PM
Someone commented on how Classic Importer was not a cute jumper in pictures, but got the job done. I, too, was not particularly impressed by Classic Importer's scope until I saw him and Danielle go... that completely changed my mind! Those two are awesome together, and the picture they create is perfect. Totally. Another horse who comes to mind when thinking of those who don't strike me as FABULOUS on film is Most Wanted. But I saw him go and that horse is round as a ball and gorgeous to boot.

As for the Strapless vs. Rox Dene bit... They are both completely different horses w/ completely different styles. I like both the same, they are both awesome and both deserving of their successes.

-Jackie-

ErinB
Mar. 16, 2001, 06:29 PM
I think that it is really hard to judge a hunter's true style by a picture or five. I, too, saw a picture of Most Wanted and was not terribly impressed, but I got a chance to see him go at CWEF and now I think he's incredible. Just like you could see one of Strapless' famous jumping pictures, yet she could have a bad day at any time and maybe not jump to her usual standards.

Just as it was discussed awhile back on the Allison LaJoie thread, a picture is one tenth of the total jump, and a much tinier fraction of the total trip. It can't possibly measure the whole horse, so I find it best not to judge a book by its cover, or a horse by his/her picture!

Horse On Course (http://www.virtue.nu/hoc/hoc.htm)
The Horse Show World Online!

Jane
Mar. 16, 2001, 08:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> a picture is one tenth of the total jump, and a much tinier fraction of the total trip. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why we need more hunter videos!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ErinB
Jun. 9, 2001, 02:20 PM
You know, after seeing Strapless (and her amazing rider, of course) win bucketloads of prizes and awards at Devon just in the 10 minutes it took to grab a hamburger and sit down, I'm starting to see now why she just may be "almost" Rox Dene. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif She really is beautiful.

~Erin Lizzy
Visit my Website (http://www.virtue.nu/sugabebe/index.htm)!
"If you don't like the way I drive, get off the sidewalk!"

ErinB
Jun. 9, 2001, 02:21 PM
By the way, how much do you think Strapless is worth now, anyway? Do I even want to guess?

~Erin Lizzy
Visit my Website (http://www.virtue.nu/sugabebe/index.htm)!
"If you don't like the way I drive, get off the sidewalk!"

Black Market Radio
Jun. 9, 2001, 02:49 PM
I heard strapless is under 16'hh, is that true?

Cantering queen!

Gifty
Jun. 9, 2001, 03:00 PM
Yes Strapless is a small junior.

Red Panda is a Warmblood, by Opium de Laubry.

Bloodlines suggest he was breed to be a jumper, not a hunter, plus he is an import.

Putting on flame suit!

Personnaly, while I loved Rox Dene, and like Strapless, I would not classify either as the best hunter.

I think the best hunter needs to succeed with MANY different riders.

Rox Dene, only had a few and Strapless was had a few more and not much success in the non-pro divisions. Yes, she hasn't done that many and has done well at a few, but I have a hard time saying they are the best of the best when a handleful of people are the only ones that can ride them.

Personally, I think a horse that has had success with many different riders over many many years would be preferable.

How about Harbor Bay, Magic Word, Whadyasay?

They all competed successfully in the pro divisions and with amateurs and juniors at the same time, winning at the best of the best shows.

Strapless might pull it out in the next few years, I will reserve my judgement until later.

Rox Dene was a fabulous show horse and from the sounds of things a great broodmare. Had her owners choosen to keep showing her instead of breeding her she might have gone onto even more winning. But, I respect their decision, as it seems to have been made with the horse in mind, instead of winning.

JMHO

DOME
Jun. 10, 2001, 07:43 AM
I don't feel that Strapless has been around long enough to provide justification to her being a "Rox Dene" or "The next Rox Dene". Once she is around for a couple of years, being a consistant winner under, as somebody said, several different riders, then, perhaps we can consider it.

As far as manners go: Pinning the ears, that is a fault. But, then again, she is a mare, and us 'mares' all have our days /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif . Flicking of the tail over the jumps is a sign of a *very* good jumper. I have a mare who does this, who is a knee jerker, back cracker, what you will, jumper and some people questioned this when she was fo sale- they are kicking themselves now because Strapless does the same thing...
Anyhow, just thought I would drop in a line- Strapless has more time to prove herself- as of now, Rox Dene prevails, and most definitely possesses the ultimate hunter look.

DOME

Bumpkin
Apr. 3, 2002, 03:08 PM
I think in light of it being a year later and postings made on another thread in the past 24 hours, this would be a good thread to bring back up.

See what people think now....

G
Apr. 3, 2002, 03:09 PM
I think that Strapless has really matured over the past year and is just jumping even better. She's not over her front end so much and she just looks great!

-Jackie-
"I'm finding my way back to sanity again, though I don't really know what I'm going to do when I get there."
http://jax.0catch.com

Bumpkin
Apr. 3, 2002, 03:10 PM
This first post is one I made today......

Strapless Is The Best Hunter Ever

Strapless is such a cool mare.

Not only does she do well and win with her professional rider, but she has won and done well with her juniour owner and now someone else who just jumped on an rode her without very much notice. Who is also a juniour rider!!!
That is really a True Champion and to me the very best attibute for a REAL HUNTER!!!
Trustworthy, honest and able to do her best regardless of who is on her.

Think about it, most professionals can get the best out of a horse and learn their quirks etc... but to do what this mare has done is something most of the other hunter champions were not able to do.

Strapless is worth watching, not the same rider and horse combination year after year, show after show.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This posting is by....

Jamie Taylor
Member posted Apr. 03, 2002 12:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. She jumped high and tight yes, but my eq horse has a tendancy to be overimpressed with fences too so her jump didn't bother me too much. In the handy, she got very impressed with an oxar and jumped it QUITE round, which popped me a teensy bit, but she never really threw me around too much.
2. I know I had a cheering section that consisted of all my east coast friends, they all wanted to see how much I was going to suck haha. I don't know if anyone stopped to watch, I wasn't paying attention to that.
3. Not too much, couple little jumps to warm up couple bigger jumps, the second day we only jumped some wee jumps then trotted some and went in. As I always say, the horse knows how to jump, and if it doesn't the warm up ring is no where to teach it. She only did the amount she needed to warm up, and then we went in.
I also agree with Bumpkin in the thought that what makes Strapless soooo great is the fact that not only is she beautiful and perfect over 4' with Emily, but she can win the 3'6, with anyone. That is what makes her truly amazing I think.

Apr. 3, 2002, 03:24 PM
Soo....Anyone want to post any other pics of these two awesome mares, so we can make a more informed decision? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yes, I am just looking for something to drool over...At least I'm honest!

*It's Your Life. Star in It.*

*Tuff To Be Black*
*Every So Often*
* http://community.webshots.com/user/texaseqstar *

PTDeaconHP
Apr. 3, 2002, 04:14 PM
I wish I could do juniors with my horse PT. He's so beautiful and great, but he hurt his legs a while ago, and can only really do 3' foot now... My sister did him in juniors for a little and he won like crazy, but then he got hurt... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
It's kind of sad that he probably won't ever be famous, cause I just do him in childrens, but that doesn't really matter, hes the world to me /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I don't know why I'm saying all this, lol, I guess just because I wonder what he would be doing now if his legs hadn't gotten so bad, and he did juniors for a long time... I guess I just feel like he deserves to be known and loved all over the country, but then, every horse does! But oh well, I shouldn't think about the past! live the moment, think of the future! lol! Sorry, for this mumbling to myself, lol, I feel betetr now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

***"There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse."***

PTDeaconHP
Apr. 3, 2002, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:
Why was the big chesnut Oszcar so special? I saw some pictures of him jumping in championship classes and to me he looked like a clunky overgrown pony leaning towards the overweight side <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahah sounds like my other horse... a chunky, big necked, over grown pony! lol! (hes a little fat, but he thinks is muscle hahahaha) /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

stop4
Apr. 3, 2002, 04:59 PM
Look at the picture of Clara and Strapless at Devon. It is at Big Eq in the 2001 junior hunter scrap book. She definatly not jumping great in it... actually she is jumping really bad.

Although I have never seen Straples go in person, all the pics I see of her show her jumping 3 feet over everything but not really bringing her knees up very well... has anyone else noticed this?

Marion
*Gregor* *Amalia* *Waffle* *Welldon*

Jamie Taylor
Apr. 3, 2002, 05:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumpin'Fool:
Quote: "Originally posted by Bumpkin:

Strapless is such a cool mare.
Trustworthy, honest and able to do her best regardless of who is on her.

"

That is, of course, unless she is slamming on the brakes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you talking about??? Ok I never got the chance to see Rox Dene, but from what I have heard she was a little hard to ride. Strapless, however, I have ridden her and know that she had the ability to win with just about anyone. She is a truly amazing mare, maybe her front end isn't great in pictures, but it isnt the pictures that make her amazing. (My eq horse jumps GREAT and she takes horrible pictures)Its the over-all picture that is so beautiful with Strapless. Granted, I never saw Rox Dene, but I have seen and ridden Strapless, and she gets my vote.

[This message was edited by Jamie Taylor on Apr. 03, 2002 at 09:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jamie Taylor on Apr. 03, 2002 at 09:30 PM.]

Jamie Taylor
Apr. 3, 2002, 05:42 PM
BTW, I forgot to mention, that when Strapless goes in the ring and dips her head for a stride (ie looks like a real horse, not a machine) that means her round is going to be great according to her trainer. They encourage that, or at least don't try to stop it.

RodeoGirl
Apr. 3, 2002, 05:46 PM
Is not at all cool. Im sure you all could make your points without saying nasty things about other people's horses. How would you feel if someone said on a public BB that your horse is a stopper, etc?

Jamie Taylor
Apr. 3, 2002, 05:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PTDeaconHP:
Quote: "Originally posted by Jair:
Why was the big chesnut Oszcar so special? I saw some pictures of him jumping in championship classes and to me he looked like a clunky overgrown pony leaning towards the overweight side "

hahah sounds like my other horse... a chunky, big necked, over grown pony! lol! (hes a little fat, but he thinks is muscle hahahaha) /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

***"There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse."***<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't he the one to get a perfect 100???

CBoylen
Apr. 3, 2002, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamie Taylor:
What are you talking about??? Ok I never got the chance to see Rox Dene, but from what I have heard she was VERY hard to ride. Dumped more than her fair share....Strapless, however, I have ridden her and know that she had the ability to win with just about anyone. She is a truly amazing mare, maybe her front end isn't great in pictures, but it isnt the pictures that make her amazing. (My eq horse jumps GREAT and she takes horrible pictures)Its the over-all picture that is so beautiful with Strapless. Granted, I never saw Rox Dene, but I have seen and ridden Strapless, and she gets my vote.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm; why did this topic re-appear? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Jaime, I can understand you wanting to defend a horse that you enjoy and respect, but perhaps you could have done it without insulting another one? I don't believe the post you were referring to with this response made any mention of Rox Dene, so it really wasn't necessary for you to do so. In any case, I'm going to respond. Don't always believe everything you hear, and don't repeat it unless you can verify it. I watched Rox Dene go nearly every day for six years. I can remember someone falling off of her twice. Maybe that's more than her fair share to you, but hey, I'd take those odds /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I don't think you can make a judgement on how hard a horse is to ride without ever having ridden them. Laura Kraut, Bert Mutch, Elizabeth Solter, Louise Serio, and even Megan Johnstone, before her much publicized freak accident, all put in lovely trips on this horse. Just because no one else ever rode her doesn't mean she was difficult, it means she'd done what she was supposed to do and didn't need to prove herself with numerous combinations.

[This message was edited by C.Boylen on Apr. 03, 2002 at 09:11 PM.]

gwen
Apr. 3, 2002, 06:01 PM
I have never seen Strapless go in person but from the pictures I have seen, she is BEAUTIFUL!! And I prefer a horse with a little spunk and life...she's having fun out there..isn't that what a hunter is all about???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

PTDeaconHP
Apr. 3, 2002, 06:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RodeoGirl:
Is not at all cool. Im sure you all could make your points without saying nasty things about other people's horses. How would you feel if someone said on a public BB that your horse is a stopper, etc?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would hate it so much and be so upset if people insulted my boys! I agree 100%, the insults are not ok!

Cream Soda
Apr. 3, 2002, 06:04 PM
I think both mares are both wonderful, give Strapless some more time to mature and perfect her jumping style. Also for the comment on tail swishing, even though it is frowned upon, who cares? Horses aren't completely perfect, they all have their quirks, especially mares. Plus most big named hunters get their tails injected so they don't swish, I think I would rather see a lively horse than one with a stunned tail.

Dolce Vita
Apr. 3, 2002, 06:12 PM
I saw Strapless go at the Capital Challenge and all I can say is WOW! There was just something about her, a presence that she had. Everything looked so effortless /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

*Chelsea*

"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it." - Groucho Marx

*Pictures* (http://community.webshots.com/user/tothestars) *My Horse Is Famous!* (http://www.vetcentric.com/userportal/POTW/potw.cfm)

Jamie Taylor
Apr. 3, 2002, 06:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C.Boylen:
Quote: "Originally posted by Jamie Taylor:
What are you talking about??? Ok I never got the chance to see Rox Dene, but from what I have heard she was VERY hard to ride. Strapless, however, I have ridden her and know that she had the ability to win with just about anyone. She is a truly amazing mare, maybe her front end isn't great in pictures, but it isnt the pictures that make her amazing. (My eq horse jumps GREAT and she takes horrible pictures)Its the over-all picture that is so beautiful with Strapless. Granted, I never saw Rox Dene, but I have seen and ridden Strapless, and she gets my vote."

Jaime, I can understand you wanting to defend a horse that you enjoy and respect, but perhaps you could have done it without insulting another one? I don't believe the post you were referring to with this response made any mention of Rox Dene, so it really wasn't necessary for you to do so. In any case, I'm going to respond. Don't always believe everything you hear, and don't repeat it unless you can verify it. I watched Rox Dene go nearly every day for six years. I can remember someone falling off of her twice. Maybe that's more than her fair share to you, but hey, I'd take those odds /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I don't think you can make a judgement on how hard a horse is to ride without ever having ridden them. Laura Kraut, Bert Mutch, Elizabeth Solter, Louise Serio, and even Megan Johnstone, before her much publicized freak accident, all put in lovely trips on this horse. Just because no one else ever rode her doesn't mean she was difficult, it means she'd done what she was supposed to do and didn't need to prove herself with numerous combinations.

[This message was edited by C.Boylen on Apr. 03, 2002 at 09:11 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry, I've edited my post I hope it is more to your liking. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I think you are implying that I resarted this post, which I did not, I just added my $.02 since I had never said anything before. I didn't mean to insult Rox Dene, I don't think being difficult to ride is a bad thing personally, I say all the time that my eq horse is very hard to ride, and will dump more than her fair share of people if you dont ride her right. I said that i HEARD she was hard to ride. Never rode her, so I can't say for sure that she is. If someone says gee I heard this, I usually wouldn't take it with a grain of salt. I also said I had never seen Rox Dene go so truly if I was someone reading my post I might have gone, yeah I heard that she was hard, but who knows. Please do not publicly humiliate me by trying to tell me that I am jumping to conclusions. I am fine with being told I am wrong, however I am not fine with people telling me I am completely wrong on a public bulliton board. You could have done something else to tell me and I would have been happy to fix my post. Also, I was responding to the thread, I happened to quote that person because I thought it was wrong that she would say Strapless was a stopper, because that is not true and I know that for certain. I am sorry I said that Rox Dene was hard, but enough people have said that on this board, and you haven't said anything to them. Please, next time, if you are going to say something, don't choose to attack one person, its not fair.

RodeoGirl
Apr. 3, 2002, 06:39 PM
I dont think C. Boylen was attacking you...just stating her dissapproval of you bashing Rox Dene. You don't want to be publicly attacked and C. Boylen doesn't want RoxDene attacked. Sounds like the two of you are in agreeance.

CBoylen
Apr. 3, 2002, 06:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamie Taylor:

I'm sorry, I've edited my post I hope it is more to your liking. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I think you are implying that I resarted this post, which I did not, I just added my $.02 since I had never said anything before. I didn't mean to insult Rox Dene, I don't think being difficult to ride is a bad thing personally, I say all the time that my eq horse is very hard to ride, and will dump more than her fair share of people if you dont ride her right. I said that i HEARD she was hard to ride. Never rode her, so I can't say for sure that she is. If someone says gee I heard this, I usually wouldn't take it with a grain of salt. I also said I had never seen Rox Dene go so truly if I was someone reading my post I might have gone, yeah I heard that she was hard, but who knows. Please do not publicly humiliate me by trying to tell me that I am jumping to conclusions. I am fine with being told I am wrong, however I am not fine with people telling me I am completely wrong on a public bulliton board. You could have done something else to tell me and I would have been happy to fix my post. Also, I was responding to the thread, I happened to quote that person because I thought it was wrong that she would say Strapless was a stopper, because that is not true and I know that for certain. I am sorry I said that Rox Dene was hard, but enough people have said that on this board, and you haven't said anything to them. Please, next time, if you are going to say something, don't choose to attack one person, its not fair.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry if you felt attacked, that was in no way my intention. I certainly didn't think my post was worded to humiliate you, merely to correct the information you provided. I'm sure at one time or another we've all been told on this board that we're wrong /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Thank you for editing your post. I also never meant to imply that you restarted the thread, and I'm sorry you took it that way. I just found it amusing that the thread was resurrected after quite a large amount of time, since I don't really agree with the whole thing. To compare two horses is really rather ridiculous when they aren't showing against one another. Even more so when you consider the facts that one retired before the other one even began its career, and one was a primarily a conformation horse and the other is not. It's a different year, a different group of horses, and it's apples to oranges in my mind. It's also quite difficult to compare things without criticising one of them, and I don't think any of us have the right to do that.

LJD
Apr. 3, 2002, 07:16 PM
...but I can't believe no one has mentioned Overdressed. I think he is just a good a hunter as Rox Dene and Strapless. BTW, I have to go with Rox Dene as the textbook hunter. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Is she having another baby this spring??

*Pony Rock*

CBoylen
Apr. 3, 2002, 07:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pony Rock:
BTW, I have to go with Rox Dene as the textbook hunter. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Is she having another baby this spring??

_*Pony Rock*_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not this spring unfortunately /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
She was recently bred for next year however. Too early to be sure of anything, but she's caught on the first try every other time.

Bumpkin
Apr. 3, 2002, 07:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RodeoGirl:
Is not at all cool. Im sure you all could make your points without saying nasty things about other people's horses. How would you feel if someone said on a public BB that your horse is a stopper, etc?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both mares are so incredible. I have to say we are all so fortunate to have not one but two fabulous mares in such a short time show up on the show scene.

I guess time will tell when they retire and breed Strapless as to how well her foals turn out.

I also think is a real treat to have someone like Jamie Taylor who posts on this BB and has ridden Strapless and did so well without really riding her very much at all before hand.

Jamie's genuine niceness to everyone, and enthusiasm is a refreshing treat to us all.

Congratulations Jamie!!!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Court@HJ-OH
Apr. 3, 2002, 09:26 PM
Here she is!! OOPS credit goes to towerheads!!!

**Courtney**
Jack ~On the Rocks~ PLEASE /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Momo ~Just My Luck~

A woman only needs two animals in her life.. the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it!

Court@HJ-OH
Apr. 3, 2002, 09:31 PM
Here is an early pic of strapless, you can see how much she has improved! And of course I threw in the legend herself!

**Courtney**
Momo ~Just My Luck~

A woman only needs two animals in her life.. the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it!

JumpinAround
Apr. 3, 2002, 10:58 PM
Rox Dene is the winner hands down. No matter what picture you see of Rox Dene they are all impeccable. Always round and tight with her front end.

I have seen strapless go yes it jumps beautiful however I've seen it take some pretty nasty pictures some that I would be embaresed to even let publish.

RumoursFollow
Apr. 3, 2002, 11:51 PM
but I will always prefer Rox Dene to Strapless. That said..

Having Jaime go to Tampa to show Strapless hardly puts her into the category of "a horse that will win for anyone thats riding it." I mean, we're not talking about Joe Schmoe here, we're talking about the person who won WIHS and USET finals in the same year.. last year!

I also think that it should be noted, that not every horse is put on this earth to do 170 divisions at a horse show. Back in the day people accepted the fact that there were professional horses, and there were amateur horses. Rox Dene won everything there was to win as a professional horse. Why continue competing when she had nothing left to prove to anyone?

Not sure why this was brought up again, but I think its silly to compare the two. I would be willing to bet that only a VERY small handful of people have seen both horses go in person.

-----------------------------
RumoursFollow
Ten Oaks Farm (http://www.geocities.com/tenoakssc/index.html)

Zaboobafoo
Apr. 4, 2002, 05:14 AM
Having only seen Rox Dene go with Meghan, and never having seen Strapless go, my opnions are unqualified at best, but I'll share them with the group anyway /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rox Dene was "classic". She was smooth, never a hair out of place, always jumped a perfect ten. Riden evenly and perfectly around the jumps

Strapless is more dynamic. She has a jump that brings in gasps from the crowd and is very excting to watch, from what I hear. And Emily's gusty riding only adds to that.

Too very different horses ridden two very different ways, and both amazing horses in their own right.

knowonder
Apr. 4, 2002, 06:07 AM
I have only seen Rox Dene go in person--Strapless only on video--so I cannot offer an informed opinion. I can however, at the risk of sounding cheesy, say that when I watched Rox Dene go it actually made the hair stand up on my arms--much like Secretariat's Belmont stretch drive does--not from excitement but from just knowing that I was in the presence of greatness. I have seen other horses jump more "spectacularly" ie making me gasp with a perfect fence out of eight or nine but Rox Dene spoke to my heart. She was absolutely mesmerizing in the effortless picture she provided. Congratulations and thanks to C Boylen for sharing her treasure with our hunter world.

That having been said--Jamie--don't know you personally--only by reputation, but many congrats on getting to ride Strapless--I am green with envy and she seems like a phenomenal mare and show horse--all my best wishes for the coming show year /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Proud Member of Wood Hill Farm who's motto is "I'm not going sober!"

Sparky
Apr. 4, 2002, 06:11 AM
I'm one of the handful who has seen both horses go, plus the Williams are family friends and I adore Emily and have watched her progress practically since she was born. Both horses are spectacular----it's silly to compare them in a "who's better" context. Their styles are so different, and if ANY hunter makes you run to the ring to watch, then they and their rider are doing what we all are striving to do.

jr
Apr. 4, 2002, 07:03 AM
Rox Dene, saw her go at Upperville. I almost cried.

DreamBigEq37
Apr. 4, 2002, 10:27 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Court@HJ-OH:
Here is an early pic of strapless, you can see how much she has improved! And of course I threw in the legend herself!

**Courtney**
Momo ~Just My Luck~

_A woman only needs two animals in her life.. the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it! _<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> What did they do to make her so much better??? Was it just her experience or did they do something with her?? She looks EXACTLY like my horse in that first picture it's scary! I have a picture of my horser from Jacksonville this yr that looks EXACTLY like that pic!! Whoa!!

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~

<3 Justice Served <3
<3 Nip N Tuck <3

"Riding is sort of like Nuts and Bolts- If the rider's nuts, then the horse bolts."

geckoUBC
Apr. 4, 2002, 10:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lauryn:
Quote: "Originally posted by Court@HJ-OH:

**Courtney**
Momo ~Just My Luck~

_A woman only needs two animals in her life.. the horse of her dreams and a jackass to pay for it! _" What did they do to make her so much better??? Was it just her experience or did they do something with her?? She looks EXACTLY like my horse in that first picture it's scary! I have a picture of my horser from Jacksonville this yr that looks EXACTLY like that pic!! Whoa!!

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~

<3 Justice Served <3
<3 Nip N Tuck <3

"Riding is sort of like Nuts and Bolts- If the rider's nuts, then the horse bolts."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm.. it's not like Strapless was a bad horse a year ago. She won the big classic in Florida... I doubt she needed that much "improvement". I'm assuming that she just took a bad picture.

Aleesha

DarkerHorse
Apr. 4, 2002, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C.Boylen:
Quote: "Originally posted by Jamie Taylor:
What are you talking about??? Ok I never got the chance to see Rox Dene, but from what I have heard she was VERY hard to ride. Dumped more than her fair share....Strapless, however, I have ridden her and know that she had the ability to win with just about anyone. She is a truly amazing mare, maybe her front end isn't great in pictures, but it isnt the pictures that make her amazing. (My eq horse jumps GREAT and she takes horrible pictures)Its the over-all picture that is so beautiful with Strapless. Granted, I never saw Rox Dene, but I have seen and ridden Strapless, and she gets my vote."

[This message was edited by C.Boylen on Apr. 03, 2002 at 09:11 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I so agree Mr. / Ms. / Mrs. C. Boylen.

-----
http://www.catchride.com
http://forums.catchride.com

kd welden
Apr. 4, 2002, 12:12 PM
I'm not really getting into this but I watched Meghan Johnstone have lots of really bad trips with Rox Dene. I don't think I ever saw her fall off but she stopped and chipped a lot. I never counted it against the horse... sure Meghan is a great rider, but I just considered Rox Dene to be a professionals horse.

As for maturity... these two horses seem very similar. Strapless had to grow up some and this is demonstrated in her jumping style. But she started winning at the beginning - As I remember watching Rox Dene, she too won from the start but also had some growing up to do because she was a little spooky at the beginning.

I think both are horses of a lifetime. For those who cried watching Rox Dene, I dare say you'd also cry watching Strapless. Why compare them? Let's consider ourselves lucky that we have had the opportunity to watch both amazing horses and that they didn't have to compete agianst each other!

elizabeth
Apr. 4, 2002, 12:19 PM
KD Welden, could they ever compete against each other? Is it likely? I have no idea what both of them compete in (other than knowing they are both fabulous hunters). . . .

DreamBigEq37
Apr. 4, 2002, 12:26 PM
No, Elizabeth, Rox Dene has since retired and had two foals, and is no longer competing, I doubt she would be able to get back in good enough shape to do the regular workings against Strapless, and it would be unfair since she is no longer at the top of her game after such a break. She is happily retired and producing amazing foals *hopefully* /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~

<3 Justice Served <3
<3 Nip N Tuck <3

"Riding is sort of like Nuts and Bolts- If the rider's nuts, then the horse bolts."

Coreene
Apr. 4, 2002, 12:37 PM
Same kind of question as the title of this thread. It's just a personal preference thing. Both horses are great, lots of others are as well. Some people will prefer one over the other on the basis of color, some won't like flappy tails, whatever.

kd welden
Apr. 4, 2002, 12:42 PM
I was reading back a bit on this line and read a question about Osczar... Yes, he did score the first perfect score in any class. I can't remember who the judge was but he said he couldn't find a reason not to give the score, the horse went amazingly well and was ridden very well.

Osczar is a great horse although I'm not sure you can put him in line with Rox Dene or Strapless. And although Osczar might come off pony looking, I assure you that in person he is nothing close to a pony.

Someone else mentioned Overdressed. Another very nice horse and certainly a force in the workings as he and Holly were amazing together, but I haven't heard much about him since he was sold. Whereas these other two have been "Up In Lights" regardless of the rider.

And, like Ms. Boylen said, the times are always changing. Estrella and Strapless haven't competed agianst each other yet but I'd hate to be the judge when they do. The two are absolutely amazing and it will be a hard day to judge. But, like any show, one horse will win out over the other. Not every horse always has a perfect round so even then (and even IF Strapless and Rox Dene could compete against each other) we will never know who is truly best. -

I go back to my last post, does it really matter?

Maxx
Apr. 4, 2002, 12:49 PM
I agree with you, kd welden, no it really doesn't matter.
But the other side of the coin.....I think it's kind of neat that people are excited/enthused enough to be even talking about these two great horses in these terms. Even if it's nonsense to compare the two, it makes a bit of "news" and excitement in the hunters just to talk about it.
I, for one, HAVE seen them both go, "in person".....and have definite ideas about MY favorite! LOL

findeight
Apr. 4, 2002, 12:56 PM
For whoever asked a few pages back Strapless is, I believe, Danish.
Fortunate to have seen them both go, Strapless quite a bit more. Unfortunately I caught Rox Dene on a not so great day both times I saw her. Rox is probably the standard reference to a great hunter though. Intersting that we have threads going about drugging horses so they become automatons yet we have some criticizing minor style flaws like ears back or that elevated hind end that kicks the tail up. No slam intended just an interesting thought.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

Court@HJ-OH
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Quote: "Originally posted by Jair:
Why was the big chesnut Oszcar so special? I saw some pictures of him jumping in championship classes and to me he looked like a clunky overgrown pony leaning towards the overweight side "

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beat this!!!! FIRST of only two horses so far to receive a perfect "100".

**Courtney**
Momo ~Just My Luck~

Tobi
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:09 PM
how about the fact that these two great horses are both mares??

i have heard it said that while mares can be really tough to deal with, if you have a good one she will probably be great.

i had a 14.3' mare that i showed in the A/O's, while not in the same solar system as these two horses, she had amazing talent for a little horse!!

spaz
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:13 PM
Who was the other one?

BLBGP
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:18 PM
I think the "other one" was Justified?

geckoUBC
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:19 PM
For some reason I thought that there had been three... Osczar, Justified, and ?? (maybe Overdressed?)

Aleesha

So Intent
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:24 PM
Actually, I believe it was one of Peter Pletchers rides, in houston, if my memory serves me correctly... Geste? Or maybe it was Justified?

Also... I have been wondering since I heard Jamie was riding Strapless... Why? (In the nicest possible manner). I was under the idea that Strapless was shown by Emily in professional classes and Clara in the Jrs.

geckoUBC
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by simplyirresistable:
Actually, I believe it was one of Peter Pletchers rides, in houston, if my memory serves me correctly... Geste? Or maybe it was Justified?

Also... I have been wondering since I heard Jamie was riding Strapless... Why? (In the nicest possible manner). I was under the idea that Strapless was shown by Emily in professional classes and Clara in the Jrs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that Jamie just catchrode Strapless when she was in Florida for the week.

Aleesha

Colin
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:27 PM
And Precious Peter Pletcher!

drifting cloud
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:28 PM
QUOTE: "how about the fact that these two great horses are both mares??"

I agree, Tobi!! I have thought about this a couple of times while reading this thread.

I am more into eventing and dressage. While there are some great mares in these disciplines, most of the top horses seem to be boys. I have watched some of the World Cup Qualifying jumper classes on TV, and there are a bunch of mares in those classes. In fact, it seems like most of the European riders are on mares.

LJD
Apr. 4, 2002, 01:56 PM
Osczar was the first to do it. I do not know who the second one was... Robert and Justified were the thired pair. The last horse to do it was Geste with Peter Pletcher. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

*Pony Rock*

AHC
Apr. 4, 2002, 02:21 PM
I've seen both horses go and thought each one was spectactular in her own way.

Lucky Jamie Taylor to have had a chance to ride a mare like Strapless. I am envious! (same as I would've been to hear someone got to ride Rox Dene, in case anyone thinks I'm playing favorites.)

spaz
Apr. 4, 2002, 02:35 PM
Isn't it kind of weird that after all these years a horse finally got a perfect 100 and then after that 3 more did it too? With in I'm guessing 5 years?

Is it the "Well hey, it's possible" thing or what?

AAJumper
Apr. 4, 2002, 03:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kd welden:

Estrella and Strapless haven't competed agianst each other yet but I'd hate to be the judge when they do. The two are absolutely amazing and it will be a hard day to judge. But, like any show, one horse will win out over the other.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would love to see that, since I've known Estrella since she was born practically. We're so proud of her, and so glad she went to such a good home and is doing so well.

visit www.victorianfarms.com (http://www.victorianfarms.com)

Becca
Apr. 4, 2002, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by spaz:
Isn't it kind of weird that after all these years a horse finally got a perfect 100 and then after that 3 more did it too? With in I'm guessing 5 years?

QUOTE]

I believe the 100s were given on the Open Numerical system, which was relatively new when the 100s finally came. . . . I'm not absolutely certain of when or how, just recall that as a detail.

spaz
Apr. 4, 2002, 04:02 PM
I know that they were on the open numerical system but I think that that system has been around for a while? But of course, I don't really know much, especially about the history of the open numerical system.

daytimedrama
Apr. 4, 2002, 04:19 PM
I thought Justified was the first to get 3 100's I could be wrong though. He is out west being a Children's Hunter, It breaks my heart in a way to see such an amazing horse not really using his potential, but whatever /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

~Christina~
"I don't patronize bunny rabbits!" -Heathers
*Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

[This message was edited by daytimedrama on Apr. 04, 2002 at 07:28 PM.]

Beezer
Apr. 4, 2002, 04:39 PM
Is that it's like the world of gymnastics: Once that perfect 10 was achieved, it got easier every time to give that perfect score out. Now, before anyone starts, I AM NOT SAYING THAT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM WASN'T DESERVED, OK?? I just think that it's more a case of the barn door being opened and the horses going through it.

"When I can't ride anymore, I shall still keep horses as long as I can hobble about with a bucket and wheelbarrow. When I can't hobble, I shall roll my wheelchair out to the fence of the field where my horses graze, and watch them." -- Monica Dickens

spaz
Apr. 4, 2002, 04:41 PM
Thank you Beezer for saying that. I didn't want to say it first LOL.

LJD
Apr. 4, 2002, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by daytimedrama:
I thought Justified was the first to get 3 100's?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was scored by three judges at the Middleburg Classic and received 100's from all three. So the average was a 100. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif So obviously, he had to be pretty damn good if they all scored him a 100.

*Pony Rock*

Dolce Vita
Apr. 4, 2002, 05:00 PM
I would love to see Estrella and Strapless compete. I've watched both of them go -- both were awesome. Estrella caught my eye even before she went into the ring at the Middleburg Classic. Such a beautiful mare -- I'd be proud of her too AAJumper! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Did you ever get to ride her?

*Chelsea*

"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it." - Groucho Marx

*Pictures* (http://community.webshots.com/user/tothestars) *My Horse Is Famous!* (http://www.vetcentric.com/userportal/POTW/potw.cfm)

Fiction
Apr. 4, 2002, 06:41 PM
Can someone post pictures of Estrella? I've never seen her but I've heard alot

-----
This is not a true story
-----

AAJumper
Apr. 4, 2002, 07:53 PM
Here's a pic of Estrella in the first year greens at Indio, 2000. The rider is my trainer, Wynn Morrow-Peck. My friend, who owns my barn bought her as a three-year old (although we knew her when she was born, as she was my old trainer's foal) and my trainer trained her up to her second year green year. Then Patrick Spanton rode her for a little more than a half a year, until she was sold to Betty.

AAJumper
Apr. 4, 2002, 07:57 PM
Oh, To The Stars, no, I never got to ride her. My trainer rode her almost exclusively, although my friend did ride her a little bit. She was bought as an investment horse, not as something for my friend to ride. My trainer sure does have a good eye for talent, I've come to discover!!!

no longer a BBer
Apr. 5, 2002, 10:00 AM
I just saw the AHJF hunter classic from last year (2001), and I was not impressed with Strapless. Yes, she is a VERY nice horse, and yes she goes very well, but when I saw her it wasn't like a WOW OMG!!!!!! type feeling.

Also people said she exploded off the ground, but in this video I didn't see too much exploding.

She is VERY nice though. I also was expecting to see some overjumping bad jumper, but she was not. She jumped just as good as the rest of them.

The horses I was impressed with was Hollywood and Azure. They are both amazing movers and really good jumpers. Hollywood had his ears up the whole time, also. I also loved Callaway.

Go Get 'Em Tiger!!!

NinaL aka Chrissy
Apr. 5, 2002, 12:11 PM
...how about GG Valentine?

I saw her for the first time last year at Devon and thought she was great.

I am surprised that more people do not "take the chance" on a mare. Maybe it's because I've never been cursed with a mare-y one but, IMO, they seem to have a better work ethic than a gelding and, frankly, I just prefer them.

Certainly, once you get to the higher levels of jumpers you see disproportionately more mares and stallions than at the lower levels.

In my experience, intact animals tend to be more "aware" of their environment than neutered ones. Of course, this can be both a blessing and a curse.

Nina

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Irving Townsend.

RumoursFollow
Apr. 5, 2002, 12:44 PM
Azure is an extremely good mover, I find him to be fairly.. common (but NOT! in a bad way... good common) over the jumps. I am pretty sure that its his movement, not his jump, that made him a Lindner horse. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I dont think he showed in FL this year anyway.

I like Hollywood very much too.. but I dont think he's Dene. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RumoursFollow
Ten Oaks Farm (http://www.geocities.com/tenoakssc/index.html)

dublin
Apr. 5, 2002, 12:58 PM
I haven't seen the 2002 AHJF tape yet, but have the 2001 tape and have watched it a number of times.

There were so many nice horses, but I have to admit that my absolute favorite was Southern Flight (and yeah, Harold Chopping is a cutie, too... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). I thought he jumped spectacularly, and that fall in the second round was such a shame. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Is he still showing? Can't recall seeing his name in the results so far this year.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Bumpkin
Apr. 6, 2002, 07:52 AM
Estrella is gorgeous. And what a great story AA!!

Duffy
Apr. 6, 2002, 05:07 PM
Totally agree, Bumpkin and Dublin! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dolce Vita
Apr. 6, 2002, 05:43 PM
Yes, she does have a good eye! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I'd say that Estrella has to be one of my all time favorite horses...her markings, the way she jumps -- I love everything about her! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

*Chelsea*

Dana
Apr. 7, 2002, 09:11 AM
I have to agree with Chanda. I think it's like comparing apples to oranges with comparisons between Rox Dene and Strapless. I was never fortunate enough to see Rox Dene go, but I've seen Strapless live on numerous occasions and on the AHJF video from 2001 & 2002.

I can see why some people like Strapless so much, she really is a fantastic horse. Unfortunately, she's not MY ideal of the hunter. Doesn't mean that she's not a fantastic horse. Horse shows are all about opinions.

I also am quite aware that some horses are just not photogenic. I've been involved with several who won tons at the shows, but NEVER took a picture that you'd want to buy. IMHO, Strapless is probably one of these. Her rounds always look better to me in person than the photos I see later.

Regarding the 100 scores. Oszcar was the first to score 100, Justified was the second and Geste was the third. To the best of my knowledge, no other horse has scored 100 yet.

FWIW, Geste has his official "retirement" ceremony from the Regular Working Hunter division at the Pin Oak show last night. They did a great job on it, and it was quite moving. Peter rode him in while the announcer recited a list of his wins in the Regular and Regular Conformation divisions. The new job description for him is to be an Adult mount for his owner.

Texan By The Grace Of God
Apr. 7, 2002, 08:26 PM
****Wishes****

Bumpkin
Apr. 8, 2002, 07:13 AM
Oh I hope they have some retirement news in the COTH!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Geste deserves it, he is such a lovely horse.

JumperEq
Apr. 8, 2002, 07:19 AM
Anybody have any pictures of the other horses mentioned in this thread?

.:Erin B #2:.
-Dream Destinations-

2Dogs
Apr. 8, 2002, 07:28 AM
I am just going to throw out these comments (ouch!)

I also thought Southern Flight was the best of the 2001 lot

I do not like Strapless: I think she overjumps, lands in a heap and often has to run down the lines (and I have seen her in the flesh)

I have a mare and thinks mares are fabulous (go Mystery!!)

I disagreed often with the scores in the 2002 WEF: too high or too low, I couldn't make sense of it from the tape (limited view it is true)

so there you go - ain't opinions wonnerful!

CBoylen
Apr. 8, 2002, 07:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JumperEq:
Anybody have any pictures of the other horses mentioned in this thread?

-Dream Destinations-<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I think if you wanted to search TH you could find a pic of pretty much all of them. I'm not sure how they feel about them being borrowed and posted on this board, so I'm not going to be the one to do that. On the other hand, as soon as I get home to my scanner this week, I can post some pics of Rox Dene that I'm pretty sure haven't been published, if you'd like to see them. (they've been hiding, but I found them unpacking from the move in the fall /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

JumperEq
Apr. 8, 2002, 08:34 AM
Pics of Rox Dene would be awesome!

Unfortunately, I don't have a TH subscription (just not in my budget /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ). Perhaps, I'll get my book report done early enough tonight to do a search on the internet for them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (I'm trying to motivate myself...*sigh*)

-Dream Destinations-

Court@HJ-OH
Apr. 8, 2002, 08:41 AM
here are some of Geste courtesy of The Legacy Cup website!!

**Courtney**
Momo ~Just My Luck~

Court@HJ-OH
Apr. 8, 2002, 08:42 AM
one more

**Courtney**
Momo ~Just My Luck~

Jane
Apr. 8, 2002, 10:37 AM
Chanda, we would love to see never-seen-before pics of Roxdene! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Geste -- I saw him with PP at the Garden a few years ago, what a pair! there was a nice pic of him with PP on the Ashmont Farm site's gallery of champs, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Overdressed and Holly -- now here's a pair I watched more than any others. His jumps were phenomenon; I used to literaly hold my breaths watching him. He also had quite a personality. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Strapless -- I think I'll have to agree with those who said perhaps she doesn't photograph as well. The thing I love most about this mare is her expressions and presence when she enters the ring.

And speaking of the AHJF Hunter Classic, I really, really like In Sync and Sister Parish. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Justin
Apr. 8, 2002, 10:55 AM
Did someone call?

gwen
Apr. 8, 2002, 11:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Justin Timberlake:
Did someone call?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

knowonder
Apr. 8, 2002, 12:10 PM
Oh please oh please do post these! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2Dogs
Apr. 8, 2002, 12:40 PM
Jane!!
You picked my two favorites....particularly N Synch....one of the ones that appeared to get a "low" score that I didn't agree with (I know - tape).

Texan By The Grace Of God
Apr. 8, 2002, 03:41 PM
Gesty-Pooh is my baby and not only is he the most amazing horse but he is the sweetest ever...he is SOOO adorable without his braids in..ooo that WILD mane!!

****Wishes****

Jamie Taylor
Apr. 9, 2002, 10:38 PM
I wish I had pictures of me on Justified, good thing that horse isn't a 4' horse any more as he was incredible, and this was after being a junior horse for a long time, without a whole lot of "tuning." He was incredible, never saw Overdressed but I can only imagine. When I was little I used to obsess about Roxdene, when we people jumped, I was always Roxdene etc...never got to see her go, but that was enough for me. Strapless, well I'm biased, between her and Justified I will admit that I am hugely lucky. I saw Ozcar (is that how you spell it...you know who i mean) at indoors this year, very nice horse, might not photograph as nice as Rox Dene does. I was wondering, this is a little bit of a random question but All the Gold, did he show a lot? Like, was he famous before he became an incredible hunter stallion?? I've only seen the picture they have for his ads so I don't know, but seeing some of his "children" he passed on some special talent, I don't know, maybe some of you saw him? I also saw In Sync at Tampa, Charlie had been telling me about him and with the fuss he made I was thinking that he was exagurating a lot, well he wasn't. I was VERY impressed with In Sync. A horse that hasn't been mentioned, Rio Bravo? I saw him go in the 4'? and in the younger juniors, VERY CUTE! I was impresses, I could go on forever, but I'll shut up now...Oh one more thing, Estrella, love her, have ever since I saw her go with Patrick (never saw her before Patrick) and think she is going to be amazing, she is a 4' horse now? or is she just 2nd year? Whatever she is she is amazing. I'm sure I will think of more incredible horses, wish I could come up with something off the top of my head that's in CA....I know we have them, because I've seen nice horses here, their names just haven't been mentioned so it isn't springing to my mind. =)

Midge
Apr. 10, 2002, 04:42 AM
All The Gold had an incredible jump, but interestingly smacked about half of them as he went around the course. 3'6", he hit the jumps. 4', he hit the jumps.

'If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?'

knowonder
Apr. 10, 2002, 06:13 AM
Have you seen Shine go--I've heard conflicting reports about how good he is--I know he almost always wins his hacks but not necessarily his over fences trips.

Court@HJ-OH
Apr. 10, 2002, 07:56 AM
http://www.shinestallion.com/ There is a really long video to watch! Best mover I have ever seen!

**Courtney**
Momo ~Just My Luck~

[This message was edited by Court@HJ-OH on Apr. 10, 2002 at 11:16 AM.]

Bumpkin
Apr. 10, 2002, 08:10 AM
You showed Justified also?
WOW!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
You already know this, but anytime you are in Seattle, please come ride dear Elliot!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

knowonder
Apr. 10, 2002, 09:25 AM
Yeah--I actually had them send me the video--I was considering breeding to him but then at Indio he didn't win anything over fences--a few 4-6 places I think--he did however win all or most of his hacks--he is one of the prettiest horses I've ever seen for sure! I just wondered if anyone had ever seen him go live.

DreamBigEq37
Apr. 10, 2002, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I always wondered about All The Gold too, he has awesome foals that did really good at the IHF from what I heard but you never really hear his name as winning in the show ring. Huh. What other hunter stallions are really good? Any that have a good showring record?

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~

<3 Justice Served <3
<3 Nip N Tuck <3

Did You Hug Your Horse Today?

dublin
Apr. 10, 2002, 11:25 AM
I just watched it, and yes, he is lovely to look at, and a lovely mover. He looked good in the jumping round they showed, but obviously that is just one class.... I too would love to hear what someone who has seen him jump in person thinks of him!

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Anne
Apr. 10, 2002, 11:33 AM
I believe that All the Gold was circuit champion at WEF in the Regular hunters in 1991? He also showed successfully in the AOs and might have been circuit champion in that division as well.

Jamie Taylor
Apr. 10, 2002, 11:34 AM
is amazing. I love him dearly. I have to say as a pre-green horse, we were all a little on the fence about him, but when he moved into the 1st years he blossomed quite a bit. He is a lovely jumper, an amazing mover and from what I've heard a very nice stallion also. I love him, I don't think he got pinned as well as he could have this Indio, I don't know though I wasn't able to watch him as closely as I'd wanted.

Jamie Taylor
Apr. 10, 2002, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:
You showed Justified also?
WOW!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
You already know this, but anytime you are in Seattle, please come ride dear Elliot!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, 6 times, during Indio I rode all 4 of the Lyons junior hunters. All very nice horses, but Justified (and Double Dutch, but hes green and not been back east I don't think) was my favorite. They also had Abel, Erin Stewarts old junior hunter. Justified was SO MUCH FUN, but he could have an attitude, if I leaned hard on his neck (which I SHOULDN'T be doing anyways) he would get really really angry, now the younger daughter has moved into the younger smalls on him, and he's doing pretty well! If I am ever in Seattle, which of course I never am =(, I will have to come by and see the infamous Elliot!

domino
Apr. 10, 2002, 03:46 PM
Here is an All The Gold baby, she is really quite nice.

"If all goes well, you've overlooked something."
"Humpty Dumpty was pushed."

Multiple Choice
Apr. 10, 2002, 03:48 PM
I saw Shine go in Harrisburg and Washington. He has quite the ring presence. There is something about hiim that really draws the eye. He is absolutely DEAD GORGEOUS; FANTASTIC mover; and absolutely lovely jumper. He is a wonderful horse, and if I a had a mare, i would definately consider him as a stallion prospect! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif I really love him!

*Sarah Beth*
"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."
-Calvin and Hobbes