PDA

View Full Version : Ivan the Terrible (long story)

rodawn
May. 20, 2012, 02:00 PM
Ivan is our house cat. Well, one of our house cats. We have another, King Caesar, who is, well, not very kingly. But I digress.

Ivan is a good predator.

Last night, while hubby and I were watching Mission Impossible, Ivan decided to go on his usual nightly prowl - he likes to catch things like moths, flies, and other critters that he thinks do not belong in our house. Hubby and I are oblivious to all but the movie.

Until we heard Ivan growling. Hubby goes to investigate.

"Uh, honey...."

"yes?"

"Ummmmmmmm... think you need to see this....... "

I'm thinking that this had better be worth it. So, up I get and walk to our bedroom. There, on our bed, was Ivan... looking all ferocious and predator-like and trapped between his paws.......was a MOUSE. ON OUR BED. :eek: I guess he figured it was a nice comfy, quiet, peaceful place to kill and eat said prey without being disturbed. :dead:

So, up I pick up Ivan, with freaking-out-squeaking-like-crazy mouse firmly fixated in his teeth, and I plop him back out in the cat den... and then I said to hubby, "EVERYTHING off the bed and INTO the machine." "Everything?" "EVERYTHING"...

"But," says hubby, "he was only on the one blanket."

I said, "just how do you know he wasn't flipping that thing all over YOUR pillowcase."

"Good point". Bed gets stripped and I turn on the wash, add EXTRA soap and baking soda. Bedroom door gets CLOSED. Firmly. Although the thought crossed our mind...what if he caught it IN our room?? :eek:

Meanwhile, Ivan the Terrible, decides it's crunch time (that's a nasty sound, by the way) and that was the end of momma mouse.

So, you ask... how do I know it was momma mouse?

Because 30 minutes later, as we had settled back into Mission Impossible......

In comes Ivan with ANOTHER mouse. A juvenile this time. :eek: Quickly dispatches it. This cat does not play much. He tends to be all business.

Then, ANOTHER juvenile........

By this time, it's midnight. Bedsheets are finally in the dryer. I'm WIDE AWAKE. Ain't this woman gonna be sleeping for quite a while, me thinks.

By 2 AM, there hasn't been any more mouse, so in to bed we pile... but we firmly close our bedroom door, since Ivan seems fixated on trying to bring his prey into OUR bedroom. :dead:

3 AM and I'm still wide awake. Finally get to sleep.

Next morning, hubby looks at me and says, "so, did we wake you at all last night?"

"We?"

"Me and Ivan"

"You and Ivan? What did you do?"

"Oh," says he ever so casually, "Ivan caught 2 more mice! But he lost one behind the freezer."

Gulp.

Out comes the vacuum cleaner (AGAIN) and everything gets moved, dryer, washer, freezer, everything. No mouse.

We determine the family is in the basement. And Ivan is down there. AGAIN. King Caesar has come up to say hello, good morning, nice to see ya... ciao, gotta go see the cinema... and down he goes to watch his own form of Kitty Mission Possible, starring Ivan the Terrible.

I just get nicely settled down for breakfast... and here comes Ivan... with juvenile #5. We wonder if that's the one that got away. We are certainly hoping so. I wonder if he's starting to get full? Apparently not... no play, just crunch, crunch, crunch. I lose my appetite.

The good news is, Ivan has had his binge of mouse fare for the day. In the space of 16 hours, he has dispatched one adult and at least 4 juveniles...that we know about. My guess is that momma mouse thought our house was a nice, clean place to have her litter, a safe place to raise her babies. Um, well, not so much.

The other good news is Ivan no longer seems fixated on the basement. Instead, he settles in at the bowl of cat food and starts eating. HOW can he possible be hungry? I mean, he just ate, that we know about, 5 mice. Then he tears around the house banging and batting his ball around (isn't he tired from being up all night hunting and eating?). I decide he needs some grass to go with all that protein (does anyone else feed grass to their cats? Mine chime and howl when they see me coming with a handful from outside!) Plop that on the floor and both cats proceed to chow down. They must be part horse.

Ivan is now sleeping, with a rather protuberant tummy, contentedly oblivious to everything around him.

I sincerely hope he got them all! :lol: He gets a gold star and the Fabulous Kitty Award... but I hope he doesn't mind if I don't snuggle with him for a couple days.

:lol: :dead: :uhoh: :lol:

I'm off to wash the floor - - AGAIN. The thought of mouse juice on my floor, just gives me the .........

CDE Driver
May. 20, 2012, 03:51 PM
That is a seriously great story!

Miss J
May. 20, 2012, 05:19 PM
Woot! Go Ivan! What a good kittie you have:). Besides the whole let's eat on the bed thing lol:lol:

At least he had the decency to go after the nest, as cute as they can be. I accidentally killed a mother mouse when I had opened my shop drawer(she got caught in-between the drawer). And then i had found her nest of babies.... I didn't know what to do... So I brought them to the vets to be euthed. Vet gave me a 'are you serious!??' look. I didn't know what to do and didn't want them to starve....

My kittie Sylvester is an awesome mouser! Kills the rodents but leaves the birds!

Doberpei
May. 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
Well, it sounds like Ivan is resting up, because he is has more work to do.

My exterminator told me (after I discovered my mouse infestation, and I am catless), that a male mouse travels with two females, and one of the females is always pregnant. (I neglected to remember the gestation period) AND, that mice don't tend to go more than 100 yards from where they are born. So, the ones born outside come into the house during the cold weather and go back out if they are around that long, but the ones that were born inside never leave, and just keep producing indoor mice, thus, my infestation.

Happy Hunting!

Judysmom
May. 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a great cat!!

Similarish experience once- my big Rottie caught a huge woodchuck, and promptly started running towards the house! I could read her face, she was totally thinking "I'm going to eat this inside. What fun!"

I ran after her and grabbed her before she made it back inside (I had a dog door at that house). She so would have eaten it on my bed too. Yuck!!

lolita1
May. 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
I would suggest a good worm out! But good kitty mine just stare at the rats as they wiz around.

redhorse5
May. 20, 2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for that. I was starting to think about wavering on my vegan diet. After the Mousecapades episode I'm good.

JB
May. 20, 2012, 10:26 PM
lmao!!!

Good Gawd, the things cats think are fun are sometimes....interesting LOL We had a cat who, several times, would hear the door open to be called for breakfast and would make a beeline and come in before anyone was the wiser, and drop (mostly) live prey at my Dad's feet :lol: A live squirrel was NOT the most fun thing to be catching before breakfast LOL

Ivan rocks!

2DogsFarm
May. 21, 2012, 06:30 AM
Ditto the tapeworm meds for Ivan - that's where they pick them up from (& bunnies).

When I lived in the city I had a housecat that caught mice and always brought them underneath my bed to ke-runch!
He also had a triumphant CaughtIt! yowl, so you'd know he was coming with his snack.
Ick XP

SuckerForHorses
May. 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
Can I PLEASE borrow Ivan?! We have mice, and our cat just lets them run around like they are part of the family!

Ivan is our house cat. Well, one of our house cats. We have another, King Caesar, who is, well, not very kingly. But I digress.

Ivan is a good predator.

Last night, while hubby and I were watching Mission Impossible, Ivan decided to go on his usual nightly prowl - he likes to catch things like moths, flies, and other critters that he thinks do not belong in our house. Hubby and I are oblivious to all but the movie.

Until we heard Ivan growling. Hubby goes to investigate.

"Uh, honey...."

"yes?"

"Ummmmmmmm... think you need to see this....... "

I'm thinking that this had better be worth it. So, up I get and walk to our bedroom. There, on our bed, was Ivan... looking all ferocious and predator-like and trapped between his paws.......was a MOUSE. ON OUR BED. :eek: I guess he figured it was a nice comfy, quiet, peaceful place to kill and eat said prey without being disturbed. :dead:

So, up I pick up Ivan, with freaking-out-squeaking-like-crazy mouse firmly fixated in his teeth, and I plop him back out in the cat den... and then I said to hubby, "EVERYTHING off the bed and INTO the machine." "Everything?" "EVERYTHING"...

"But," says hubby, "he was only on the one blanket."

I said, "just how do you know he wasn't flipping that thing all over YOUR pillowcase."

"Good point". Bed gets stripped and I turn on the wash, add EXTRA soap and baking soda. Bedroom door gets CLOSED. Firmly. Although the thought crossed our mind...what if he caught it IN our room?? :eek:

Meanwhile, Ivan the Terrible, decides it's crunch time (that's a nasty sound, by the way) and that was the end of momma mouse.

So, you ask... how do I know it was momma mouse?

Because 30 minutes later, as we had settled back into Mission Impossible......

In comes Ivan with ANOTHER mouse. A juvenile this time. :eek: Quickly dispatches it. This cat does not play much. He tends to be all business.

Then, ANOTHER juvenile........

By this time, it's midnight. Bedsheets are finally in the dryer. I'm WIDE AWAKE. Ain't this woman gonna be sleeping for quite a while, me thinks.

By 2 AM, there hasn't been any more mouse, so in to bed we pile... but we firmly close our bedroom door, since Ivan seems fixated on trying to bring his prey into OUR bedroom. :dead:

3 AM and I'm still wide awake. Finally get to sleep.

Next morning, hubby looks at me and says, "so, did we wake you at all last night?"

"We?"

"Me and Ivan"

"You and Ivan? What did you do?"

"Oh," says he ever so casually, "Ivan caught 2 more mice! But he lost one behind the freezer."

Gulp.

Out comes the vacuum cleaner (AGAIN) and everything gets moved, dryer, washer, freezer, everything. No mouse.

We determine the family is in the basement. And Ivan is down there. AGAIN. King Caesar has come up to say hello, good morning, nice to see ya... ciao, gotta go see the cinema... and down he goes to watch his own form of Kitty Mission Possible, starring Ivan the Terrible.

I just get nicely settled down for breakfast... and here comes Ivan... with juvenile #5. We wonder if that's the one that got away. We are certainly hoping so. I wonder if he's starting to get full? Apparently not... no play, just crunch, crunch, crunch. I lose my appetite.

The good news is, Ivan has had his binge of mouse fare for the day. In the space of 16 hours, he has dispatched one adult and at least 4 juveniles...that we know about. My guess is that momma mouse thought our house was a nice, clean place to have her litter, a safe place to raise her babies. Um, well, not so much.

The other good news is Ivan no longer seems fixated on the basement. Instead, he settles in at the bowl of cat food and starts eating. HOW can he possible be hungry? I mean, he just ate, that we know about, 5 mice. Then he tears around the house banging and batting his ball around (isn't he tired from being up all night hunting and eating?). I decide he needs some grass to go with all that protein (does anyone else feed grass to their cats? Mine chime and howl when they see me coming with a handful from outside!) Plop that on the floor and both cats proceed to chow down. They must be part horse.

Ivan is now sleeping, with a rather protuberant tummy, contentedly oblivious to everything around him.

I sincerely hope he got them all! :lol: He gets a gold star and the Fabulous Kitty Award... but I hope he doesn't mind if I don't snuggle with him for a couple days.

:lol: :dead: :uhoh: :lol:

I'm off to wash the floor - - AGAIN. The thought of mouse juice on my floor, just gives me the .........

Trixie
May. 21, 2012, 03:29 PM
At least he had the decency to go after the nest, as cute as they can be. I accidentally killed a mother mouse when I had opened my shop drawer(she got caught in-between the drawer). And then i had found her nest of babies.... I didn't know what to do... So I brought them to the vets to be euthed. Vet gave me a 'are you serious!??' look. I didn't know what to do and didn't want them to starve....

:lol:

This reminds me of when I was trying to find someone to euth a chicken with a broken leg. Why? Well, because he wasn't getting around real well and because, as a bleeding heart vegetarian, I simply couldn't off him myself and Mr. Trixie was out of town.

I called a whole bunch of vets, most of whom appeared to think I was insane. My small animal vet wouldn't do it, my horse vet wouldn't do it, and the only place I could finally get to agree to do it over the phone was a small animal exotic vet very far away that would've charged a surprising amount of money.

Thank goodness for COTH-er friends who have fiancees who are vets, and who will take pity on bleeding heart vegetarians that can't kill their own chickens.

oliverreed
May. 21, 2012, 03:34 PM
OK, totally off track here but with the story about euthing a chicken - one of my dear friends was married to an abusive stingy man before she got smart and dumped him. They had two young daughters and a guinea pig. Pig got sick, husband wouldn't let her take it to the vet. Pig really sick. So she decided she had to euth the pig herself, and after much thought, injected him with some vodka and when he was passed out she put him in the freezer. She figured he'd freeze to death, which is usually a painless way to go.

Ivan the terrible sounds like one awesome kitteh!!!

Ambitious Kate
May. 22, 2012, 07:57 PM
If your cat brings you a present (and yes, Ivan was bringing you a gift) you need to realize he thinks he is helping contribute to the larder. Its important to 'accept' the gift and not throw him and/or the mouse out because he will just go and get another one, thinking he didn't do enough or didn't do it right.

That's what Ivan did. When you got upset about the mouse he went to do a better job. And another better job.

You encouraged Ivan to keep on hunting by not accepting his gift.

Basically, you want to take the mouse and praise the cat. Sounds counter intuitive, but you have to think about how the cat thinks, not what you think. You don't have to hold the mouse, but praising the cat, or petting him, and taking the mouse away is pretty much it. Just don't make such a disgusted deal about hating the mouse, because he'll just go get you another one.

RedMare01
May. 22, 2012, 08:41 PM
:lol: Great story!

Good kitty for catching all the mice, but I just could not have a kitty crunching down and eating one IN my house. Let alone five. :dead:

The one and only time my kitties caught a mouse (it was behind the stove and the three kitties took shifts in the kitchen until it was caught :cool:), I took it away from the one that caught it and put it outside. Alive. My kitty was just walking around with it in his mouth. He was quite proud of himself, but I don't think had any intention of killing it. Which was fine by me. Living mouse, just not in my house.

NBChoice
May. 22, 2012, 10:39 PM
Hahaha! I love this story. Though gross (and sad... I hate when I catch my dogs or cats playing with mice. :(), it's good that your kitty is disposing of rodents!

TrotTrotPumpkn
May. 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
My cat caught a mouse once...when we lived in a 31 story apartment in downtown Minneapolis! We were on the sixth floor and he went nuts tearing at the insulation under the dishwasher (because the mouse was behind it in the wall). Yuck, yuck yuck. At least it wasn't an urban rat I guess.

Cute story. Good kitty!

danceronice
May. 23, 2012, 09:29 PM
At least he kills them. Sundae caught one (there's always one or two in the winter that come in under the dishwasher) and carried it into the living room. I finally managed to trap it on my desk and throw it outside. None of them had the slightest idea what to do with it.

Of course, Puff (the COTH giveaway dog) grabbed a juvenile possum out of a bush one night. Thank goodness it 1. went into 'dead' possum mode and 2. he dropped it when I yelled. That's when I discovered I do NOT have the heart to beat a possum to death with a shovel.

johnnysauntie
May. 24, 2012, 11:41 AM
He could have left little mouse corpses outside your bedroom door for you to find with your bare feet in the morning. Thank goodness he eats them! Were I you, I would be doing 3 things.

1) telling Ivan what a fine kitty is he
2) talking to the vet about worming, post-mouse
3) going a little light on Ivan's cat food for the next few days. Keep him a bit on the hungry side, to ensure he rids you of any remaining mice.