PDA

View Full Version : Trip to aachen

hometowngirl
May. 20, 2012, 12:35 PM
Planning a road trip thru Germany next may and am wondering for any tips about Aachen? Not sure there will be any events in that area while we are there, mid May? Also wondered if the area is good just for scenic horse farms? Any recommendations of horse things to do in that area or other parts of Germany. Traveling with a few friends not so horsey but willing to accommodate me for a horse fix!

Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Miss Dior
May. 21, 2012, 02:33 AM
Not really. But the city around the Zentrum is so charming. Good tack shop Luttgens in town. Great food at Am Knipp! Wonderful patio out back. I really enjoy seeing the treasury in the city. Lots of Charlemagne artifacts and relics. Great dom. More interesting is the town of Trier. Porta Negra and the ancient Roman ruins are wonderful and it is a lovely town! Nice for walking.

Miss Dior
May. 21, 2012, 02:36 AM
Forgot I really LOVE Dusseldorf. Amazing shopping along the river. Great cafes and museums. Hubby loves Baden Baden and Rotenburg. Like a Disney village. All middle age charming ambience. Baden Baden Brenner Park Hotel is so elegant and worth a dinner in the garden. Wonderful evenings there!!!! Enjoy.

Meshach
May. 21, 2012, 09:34 AM
I was in Aachen a couple of summers ago for the CHIO Aachen show, which is in July. While we were there, we went to this really cool hot springs spa -- http://www.carolus-thermen.de/go/bad_aachen/english.html

And there is also a gorgeous cathedral tucked into one of the side streets.

There are some tack shops but we didn't go in because they had a trade fair at the show.