PDA

View Full Version : Products That Work and...... Products That Don't

Lord Helpus
May. 30, 2002, 07:48 PM
Let's all give Kudos to our favorite products. Ones that really do what they say they will, and (hopefully) for a reasonable price.

But, if there is a product out there that just plain is a waste of money, let's save each other some frustration......

And I'll go first: /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fly Sprays:

Repel-X does NOT repel an darn thing. I could use a 1/2 a bottle if the extra strong mixtue and those flies flip me their middle finger (hypothetically speaking, of course) as they land on the drenched-with-Repel-X horse.

The fly spray that comes in the silver spray bottle... is good. AAARRRGGGGHHH. Something TEC? Will edit this post tomorrow when I get the name off the bottle...

Sun Screens/Anti-Fading Sprays:

I need help here. I have used several, but it is too early in the season to have come to any definitive conclusion. Anyone have pros/cons about different brands?

Anti fungal Shampoos:

The one in the black bottle with the purple label (said label has long ago fallen off my gallon bottle). Pro-Tek or something like that? Will have to find out name at tack shop.... Anyway, it does seem to keep fungus at bay.

Any other products to buy or avoid?

Lord Helpus
May. 30, 2002, 07:48 PM
Let's all give Kudos to our favorite products. Ones that really do what they say they will, and (hopefully) for a reasonable price.

But, if there is a product out there that just plain is a waste of money, let's save each other some frustration......

And I'll go first: /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fly Sprays:

Repel-X does NOT repel an darn thing. I could use a 1/2 a bottle if the extra strong mixtue and those flies flip me their middle finger (hypothetically speaking, of course) as they land on the drenched-with-Repel-X horse.

The fly spray that comes in the silver spray bottle... is good. AAARRRGGGGHHH. Something TEC? Will edit this post tomorrow when I get the name off the bottle...

Sun Screens/Anti-Fading Sprays:

I need help here. I have used several, but it is too early in the season to have come to any definitive conclusion. Anyone have pros/cons about different brands?

Anti fungal Shampoos:

The one in the black bottle with the purple label (said label has long ago fallen off my gallon bottle). Pro-Tek or something like that? Will have to find out name at tack shop.... Anyway, it does seem to keep fungus at bay.

Any other products to buy or avoid?

DMK
May. 30, 2002, 07:59 PM
Micro-Tek for the fungus shampoo. Two thumbs up for it and the spray.

Premier coat spray (same company as Microtek) is also quite good.

Fly spray - Flysect Super C - it's a concentrate like Repel-X, but it is much better (not that any of them really work)

Vogel boot conditioner (I leave a bottle in the tack box for chaps and paddock boots)

Leather Therapy cleaner and the conditioner

DMSO (1 pint) + 10 cc dex or predef (mix with furacin for great leg paint, wound paint).

ALUSPRAY!!!!!!!!

Grooma curries (perfect for wimpy think skinned TBs)

Sole Pack (by Hawthorne)

Animalintex Poultice (for feet)

Uptite Poultice (for legs)

Witch Hazel (under dry wraps and under poultice)

Sore No More gel and spray - great for massaging on muscle spasms - I have used it on myself, if it works half as well on horses, we have a winner!)

Dove or Ivory dishwashing soap - World's Best Shampoo after Microtek

Infusium Leave on Spray (with UV protectant) - mix 50/50 with water, spray on for detangling and conditioning.

"You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty. "
- Sacha Guitry (1885-1957) *

myrna
May. 30, 2002, 08:29 PM
what is good to get rid of this?

mm

daytimedrama
May. 30, 2002, 08:34 PM
Tri Tech 14 is the stuff in the silver bottlem it's expensive but it's the only thing that works!!

~Christina~
"I don't patronize bunny rabbits!" -Heathers
*Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

SLW
May. 30, 2002, 08:50 PM
Quick Silver blueing shampoo, excellent stuff.

Vetroline for getting tangles out.

Klac 87 (now it's called something else) but it's still in the orange bottle and made in Germany. It's a *natural* fly repellent which is reasonably priced and doesn't scare the bejebbers out of you if you get it on your body.

Kensington (don't think I spelled that quite right) mesh leg wraps for fly protection. The pair I have is being used for the third fly season and still in good shape.

next.......

SLW
"It is I."

creseida
May. 30, 2002, 08:55 PM
Repel-X Works for me (as well as anything).

Corta-flx Liquid. Not the cheapest, but Cressy is doing very well at Age 22, with no stiffness, soreness or anything, except loose stifles as a result of EPM.

Leather Therapy Products. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hooflex: the old stand by still does better than these new fangled hoof cremes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Not impressed by:
Gold Nugget Shampoos; so "low foaming" that they don't get the dirt out! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Gnat Away smells nice....even to the bugs! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Absorbine Fly Sprays that "last up to 14 days". Well, I guess 5 minutes qualifies as "up to" 14 days. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

MsRidiculous
May. 30, 2002, 09:06 PM
A lot of mine are ditto-ing what's already been said, but this is the stuff that I buy again and again and again.

Cornucresine for the feet

Micro-Tek for fungus. I have both the shampoo and the spray. One application of that stuff and bye bye fungus!

Hawthorne's Sole Packs

Uptite Poultice (none of that other stuff even comes CLOSE)

Cowboy Magic detangler for the tail! It just can't be beat. Smells nice, too. I also like their "green spot remover" even tho I have a bay, when he gets off the trailer he sometimes has poo/sweat spots on his butt. A little bit of that spray and it just rubs right off.

My favorite product??? DUCT TAPE! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

-Amanda

Just keep kicking

CoolMeadows
May. 30, 2002, 09:26 PM
Another vote for Tri-Tech 14. Doesn't smell half bad for a fly spray and has sun screen added.

Dove antibacterial/sensitive skin for daily leg washing.

Absorbine Flex + supplement. I used to use Corta-Flex but I'm really impressed with the Flex+

Equithane 'pour in' hoof pads. Total god-send for those with tender toes!

Johnson's baby bath. The best for sheath cleaning and good for shampooing faces too.

Witch hazel and Wintergreen rubbing alcohol from the Dollar Store.

Mix the above with Blue lotion liniment. Not the really dark blue stuff but the thick light blue liniment that you can get at some race track suppliers.

Straight Arrow Hoof Maker. Reasonably priced, works well and smells like apples.

Thrush buster. The purple stuff. Nothing works better.

On my shi* list:
Freedom Spot-On. I didn't see any fewer flies on the horses, and one of mine managed to rub his face on his leg and get it in his eyes. They were puffy and weeping for over a day!! It also made him drool. Needless to say, I was a (more)neurotic mess for 48 hours.

That mane pulling thingy. Maybe it works for some, maybe I'm mane pulling thingy-challenged, maybe my horse's mane is absurdly thick (it is!) Either way, the manes always looked choppy and butchered when I tried to use it. My neighbor uses it and her horses' manes look icky, too. Too bad, since Jon Jonhates having his mane pulled. They told me when I bought him, "don't ever try to pull his mane - just cut it." Did I listen? Does a 12 year old ever listen? Nope. I thought he wouldn't mind if I just did a few tiny hairs, over several days. He punched me in the chin (to add insult to injury, this was immediately after bucking me off) for my efforts. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif 14 years later, it's still his one and only flaw.

Men's Ariat paddock boots. No. I am not a man. My SO bought a pair. They were terribly uncomfortable, NOT water-resistant, let alone water-proof, and the leather disintegrated in a matter of weeks. But, I sure do love the women's.

Excalibur sheath cleaner. Am I the only person who can not master this product? It comes out of the bottles in globules. It goes into the sheath in globules. And... it falls back out of the sheath in globules. It doesn't seem to do a whole lot of breaking down dirt.

LMH
May. 31, 2002, 05:05 AM
Fly Spray-agree with Clac 86 of course I am also partial to DynaShield

AntiFungal-I HATE MircoTek-didn't do diddly. LOVE the Maleseb (SP?) stuff for dogs-great on horses

linament-wintergreen alcohol

BEST wound treatment ever-you got it-Wound Balm.

Agree with Leather Therapy as well

OK-I will stop now, I am not adding a heck of a lot.

jr
May. 31, 2002, 05:20 AM
The "Hug" closure on blankets sheets etc.

I have a horse with a HUGE shoulder -- everything rubs -- Rambos, Wilsons etc. etc. The Hug doesn't. No more rub spots!!

sixpoundfarm
May. 31, 2002, 05:26 AM
Carr- Day & Martin Canter Coat spray, and Tea tree hoof oil! Very good stuff.

Second the Dove dish soap for shampoo, the water just beads right off.

I like my homemade fly spray- Mix Larrys concentrate fly spray with some extra citronella oil and a dash of Pine Sol.

Lord Helpus
May. 31, 2002, 05:47 AM
Thank you all for supplying the names Tri-Tec, MicroTec, etc.. I had a senior moment when posting last night.

I have put my horses on apple cider vinegar for fly control, as of 2 days ago and already I seem to be noticing a difference. 1/2 cup in AM and 1/2 cup in PM. Only horse it is not working well on is George who hates the pellets in his feed and tends to leave them. And the vinegar, being a liquid, goes to the bottom of the tub, and ends up mixed with the uneaten pellets.

A product I am very interested in finding out the best brand of (great grammar...) is sunscreen. Warren is still a glossy seal brown. But he is still wearing his turn out fly sheet. Soon it will be too hot even for it and the boys will come in during the day. But he fades even while being ridden and between 6 PM and 9 PM when he goes back out for the night and before sunset. By Aug. he looks like a mouse. HELP!

I am just about to finish a bottle of QuicScreen (made by the QuikSilver people). Has anyone tried this v. other products out there? Since he has not started to fade on his neck yet, I guess it is working.......

Sleepy
May. 31, 2002, 05:47 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't like Leather Therapy?

Favorites
Fredelka leather conditioner
Schreiner's Herbal Solution
(really does get rid of summer sores and proud flesh)
Ivory Liquid
Any thing with tea tree oil
The hoof oil in the white jar with the horse shoe - has the same ingredients as what I used to custom blend

Don't waste your money
Excalibur
Orvus

HelenD
May. 31, 2002, 05:48 AM
Stuff that Works;

Plain ole gycernie soap after every ride for keeping tack looking brand new for YEARS of hard use.

Blunstone Boots - One pair has lasted OVER 2 years of 2x daily trips to the barn. My ariats last 2 months at MOST of that. I get mine thru a guy in Australia and pay LESS then the lowest grade Ariats and LOVE my Blunnies. When I see someone wearing Ariats at the barn, I KNOW they don't really work there - there just there as part of the scenery. The new style of Blunnies, Culbertson is GREAT for riding.

Bobby's English Tack. I LOVE my hunting bridle; really nice, quality leather that looks fantastic (with proper care) for years and years.

Wool Felt Saddle pads - Unless you get really lucky or cut them yourself, you have to get these from the western section - but get the 3/4 " thick shaped one. These are FANTASTIC pads. Wonderful.

Stubben Offset Stirrups for those of us with knee problems who still spend hours in the saddle. GREAT stirrups - much safer then the Herme-Springer 4 way.

Rein Aid - LOVE them. Really helped me take clearly understand how to get my hands out of the equation.

Dover Rain Sheet with mesh lining - A GREAT sheet to have around.

Polarfleece liners/coolers - great for drying out horses - really cool science fun for wicking the water/sweat off your horse in the winter.

Grazing Muzzle that attatches to the halter (NOT the all in one version - that has thinner rubber and a too large hole and the halter part falls apart.

Stuff that you shouldn't waste your time with;

Ariats - any of their paddock boots that you plan to use for more then riding. They were fine when I was boarding my horse and I didn't "really" do stuff around the barn. For day in/out, these things are worthless and fall apart WAY too soon for their very expensive price tag. I have a pair I got when they first came out, the lowest grade, that have outlasted all others purchased since. I don't know when their manufacturing standards changed, but, as of my last pair, they are not worth even half of their cost.

Cut Heal, Blu Lotion, most all those wound applications gunks - studies show (and I concur) that plan old NOTHING but clean works, or if you must put something on it, Preparation H, is the only thing that actually assists healing.

Strong Bits instead of proper training.

Every fly spray I've ever bought.

That's all I can think of now!

Helen
(if you want the info on where I get my Blunnies for less then 100 a pair (heck, less then 75 really), email me)

In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

JB
May. 31, 2002, 05:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myrna:
what is good to get rid of this?

mm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder Dust! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Let's see... besides my assortment of Dynamite fly spray and wound products...

Good:
EquinylCM
Hoof Shield
arnica (with or without dmso)
Sore No More!
Farnam's new SunShield - seems so far to be keeping the exposed parts of my black horse black
Infusium leave-in conditioner, 1:1 with water

Hey SLW - I want to hear more about the leg wraps. I have been VERY tempted to try some, but am afraid with turnout they will slouch too much. The ones with the plastic vein to keep them up scare me, 'cause what if that snaps?

CAH
May. 31, 2002, 06:16 AM
Proud Flesh - the best medication I have ever used is called "Biozide gel". Available only from your vet. Great stuff.

farmergirl
May. 31, 2002, 06:19 AM
I'm new here, but I have to post one I truely believe in. BL solution. It is Devils Claw and Yucca in a liquid. It seemed to work just as well as bute and gave me another 4 months riding time on my gelding with arthritis. I used the powdered products, but this one seemed the best. I don't know how it would work for other types of pain, but for the chronic pain it really did work.
One other thing that I just stumbled on is Valentine's Hoof Oinment. My farrier brought some out and it really does wonders for my horses dry feet. It does not smell very good, but is thick . I noticied a difference in the first week I was using it.
I have to agree with everyone else about the Repel-X, I think even more flies came to visit my horse with that.

dcm
May. 31, 2002, 06:38 AM
Good stuff:

Ditto Tri Tec 14. Also Bronco, the cheap stuff, works real well for a quick spray at shows, best short-term spray - lasts couple of hours.

Vetrolin Lintiment. Awesome stuff for getting rid of saddle and girth marks. Great for a sponge off at shows, too.

Working on the sunscreen stuff, too. Rio fades to a brindle/mousie color by July. The book is still out on those. Can't remember what brand I just bought, but it has a large sunflower on the bottle.

Cowboy Magic Detangler. Best stuff around, no exceptions.

Micro-Tek anti-fungal shampoo.

Biotin-Plus Hoof supplement. You could not pay me to try something else. Excellent stuff.

Won't list the bad stuff because there are too many and ya'll have listed most.

JB - what is your internet addy for Dynamite? I used to have it, but lost it somewhere. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

****^-^****
Don't ask me, I'm just the mom!

If Dressage is Symphony, and Eventing is Rock 'n Roll, then Hunters must be R & B

Flash44
May. 31, 2002, 06:40 AM
I buy whatever fly spray is on sale. They all suck.

Suave shampoo and conditioner in one for tails. I don't soap my horse very often, just quicksilver on his legs.

Reducine/turp on hooves, maybe whatever oil is around and a little any brand thrush stuff if it's been wet out.

Uptite for poultice, mud for feet

Hydrogen peroxide and a little furacin and some pretty colored spray for first aid.

I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor don't bring me down...

msj
May. 31, 2002, 06:50 AM
You can get it from several vet catalogs. I think I got the last batch from Jeffers. I felt the same way about Excaliber and this is a few cents cheaper as well if I remember.

Well, things I'm sold on:
Blundstones - I finally have to throw out my first pair after 5 years of total abuse. They cost me $135 originally which equates to $27/yr. Can't beat that. Just wish they made them with insulated lining for winter.

Rambo's - 7 yrs with my first turnout sheet and it's still going strong.

Passier Lederbalsam - wonderful leather conditioner.

Bar saddle soap - that used regularly (which I don't do anymore) and the Lederbalsam are all that is needed for keeping leather in excellent shape.

Ultrashield fly spray from Absorbine. Been using it for years. Like much much better than Clac. But, like DMK said, none are really great. I apply it everyday and have been known to use it on myself. Hey, if it's safe for dogs....

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Agree with a lot of the stuff mentioned so I won't repeat most.

msj

You know you're a horse person when...you can find your boots by smell.

Robby Johnson
May. 31, 2002, 07:01 AM
I can't think of any that I can add, and some of you have given me some good ideas.

You *can* get English wool-felt pads through Stateline Tack, actually. Look at their big catalog. Also, Stubben makes them too.

Robby

You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

hitchinmygetalong
May. 31, 2002, 07:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HelenD:
Stuff that Works;

Grazing Muzzle that attatches to the halter (NOT the all in one version - that has thinner rubber and a too large hole and the halter part falls apart.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second that! I had the "all in one" and after four repairs tossed it and got a turn-out halter and the muzzle that attaches to the halter. Much better.

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."
-Louisa May Alcott

SLW
May. 31, 2002, 07:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JB:
Hey SLW - I want to hear more about the leg wraps. I have been VERY tempted to try some, but am afraid with turnout they will slouch too much. The ones with the plastic vein to keep them up scare me, 'cause what if that snaps?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ones we use are made w/ velcro to keep them on- no hard plastic strip. The mesh fabric is sturdy and mine haven't fallen when used. I bought them because I was treating some scrapes on the mares legs which needed protection and noticed what a difference they make in reducing the constant stomping because of flys. They have fleece at the top and have a nylon trim at the bottom. I paid $25 for a pair three years ago.

Let me add that my horses are Quarter horses, whom are laid back, and generally don't create problems. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I suspect that on a *creative* horse or a horse w/ a sense of humor they could become *toys* to pulled off etc. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SLW
"It is I."

Quinn
May. 31, 2002, 07:43 AM
MSG - monosodiumglutomate (Accent) DOES work at removing proud flesh. As does brown sugar and iodine mixed as a paste.

Excalibur works on scratches/mud fever.

Bronco fly spray is cheap and as effective as any others I have tried.

Didn't like the Quikscreen or whatever it's called as a sunscreen. My black horse ended up being "streaky" for the summer.

canadian eh?
May. 31, 2002, 07:46 AM
Great herbal supplement that hasn't been mentioned is Wendals Moody "M", has super great results with my mare who can be a little on the cranky side with other horses. A+ for that one.

Ms. Anthrope
May. 31, 2002, 07:48 AM
I haven't been hands-on with horses in a while, but I'll try to remember my favorites.
Cowboy Magic stuff, especially the leave-in conditioner.
I love Horseman's one-step for everday tack cleaning, once a week I use glycerin (sp?) soap and a conditioner that comes in an orange tub, I'll try to remember what it's called.
Ivory dishwashing soap for the body. I like color-enhancing ones for tails.
Oxiclean for white stuff.
Those bathing gloves you find at drugstores next to the poufy sponges. I like them better because I can scrub better and feel a horse's coat and skin.
Infusiom23 mixed with Johnson no more tangles.
Aphogee gloss therapy for highlighting muzzles, eyes, ears, etc. 3 drops do the job well and don't collect dirt and don't look ridiculously obvious.
Farrier's formula as a hoof supplement. I also like dapplez and mirra-coat, but that's probably because those were the only supplements Mocha would eat. They did make her coat extra shiny, though.
Healthy hair moisturizer. The sample bottle lasts at least three months and really helps tails.
Plain old toothpast for cleaning bits. Rinse well or your horse will look like he has rabies.
Dipirone, but I think it's not availbale in the US.
I never found a hoof polish that worked well and didn't become a dirt magnet or dry hooves, so I was nuts enough to make my own by purchasing tubs of clear, brown, and black mascara from a cosmetic manufacturer and mixing them myself. I brush the mixture on while the horse is standing on a hard clean surface, let it dry, then rub with a towel spritzed with showsheen.
Dep gel helps braid manes. Buy the extra firm hold, mix a dollop with water. Cheap and effective. Citre shine hairspray holds braids in place.
Micro-tek is great, but baby oild works in hours to remove fungus. The downside is that the horse will lose his hair along with the fungus.
Generally speaking, I hate showsheen. I bought a bottle and rarely touched it, except for making hooves shiny and removing very stubborn knots from tails.

Clive's Mom
May. 31, 2002, 08:00 AM
Oxyclean works! - use the hottest water you can stand.

WonderDust for proud flesh - as already stated, it DOES work.

Micro-Tek - I love it, it works.

X-Terra Cream - took off the sarcoid on the first go-around. My vet rocks!

What doesn't work worth a lick....(in my experience):

EasyBoots - arrrrghhhhhhhhhhh! How many rolls of duct tape could I have bought for what I paid for that stupid device?

Miller's Everest Blankets - can you say utterly destroyed within 2 days of wearing? I'll stick with the WeatherBeetas thankyouverymuch.

Bronco Fly Spray - I swear the flies were laughing at me....

Homemade Flyspray with Citronella Oil - ok, now the flies are on their backs, holding their bellies as they giggle uncontrollably

- C

- Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at a bar. -

bayfilly
May. 31, 2002, 08:13 AM
I'm with Lord Helpus, I would love to find a product to keep my mare from turning mousey and splotchy this summer. She wears a fly sheet and will be going out only at night soon, but last summer she looked so bad, I love to find something that works.

Things that I like:
-Bronco, its cheap and seems to work the best.
-Rubber Curry Mit to get all the dirt off my very sensitive TB
-Fleece lined bell boots, my horse usually gets rubs, but not with these. So far they have lasted a while, although she only wears them while being ridden.
-Healthly Hair coat conditioner. It a concentrate that you mix with water. Makes my horse shiny!! Also great to spray in tail to detangle.

FlowerPower
May. 31, 2002, 08:13 AM
At my barn they make everything... fly spray, hoof oil, saddle soap...

I like the Bronco fly spray for short term too, like during your lesson etc. Since none of it really works, I skip it, except for the lessons and I wash that off afterwards - why leave chemicals that don't work on the pony? The fly spray Phyllis makes smells like salad dressing gone bad and I KNOW it doesn't work! I faithfully put it on her horses before their dressage tests but see the flys on them anyway.

The hoof oil she makes is fantastic. So is the saddle soap.. she just melts down a glyscerin bar, adds a big splash of Lexol (sp?) conditioner and puts it in the fridge to reharden... clean and condition in one step saving (me) TONS of time! I love it, make it for myself as well!

~Arkie clique~

"Do, or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Louise
May. 31, 2002, 09:10 AM
SLW may very well be right when she says they work best on quiet, well behaved horses. I bought some for my Polish Warmblood, the one with the big spook and the sense of humor.

He jumped around so much, and pulled at them so that they wouldn't stay in place, and by the fourth or fifth time he had them on, he had them destroyed.

---------------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle

jacksmom
May. 31, 2002, 09:59 AM
i just have one addition

gold nugget GNatural Cream (used to be GNat Away) nothing works better on jacks scrapes, they heal up and hair clearly grows back in faster.

rescuemom
May. 31, 2002, 10:33 AM
Loves (that work): Schreiner's Herbal, ShowSheen (for detangling and keeping it that way), GroomaCombs for Thelwellian manes, plastic curries, Leather Therapy, Cowboy Magic green spot remover, QuicSilver shampoo for whitening, NavilamO for navicular relief, WeatherBeeta rain sheets, VetWrap/Co-Flex, Biozide (why is this only available thru vets?), Thrush Buster, Cashel Crusader fly mask, tea tree oil spray, SWAT, Mtn. Horse crocheted gloves.

No, thanks: Micro-Tec, Ariat paddock boots - awesomely comfortable but don't last - 3 pair is enough already.

So-so: Excalibur worked fine for me, but I no longer use it. I love the ManeMaster, but I think how well you like it depends on your horse's mane type. I've found flysprays that were completely worthless, and one that was very effective and disappeared from the market after one season. It was so effective I worried about toxicity, since a shot in the air dropped flies dead. I now alternate between EquiSect and an herbal, both semi-effective.

JB
May. 31, 2002, 10:39 AM
Oh yes, forgot the Crusader Fly Mask! Long, with ears. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pocket Pony
May. 31, 2002, 11:20 AM
Hmmm - a lot of what I like has been listed...

Purina Strategy - puts weight on Mickey and he loves it
Platinum Performance - great all around supplement
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - makes him so soft and shiny!
BL Solution
Sore No More Gel
Listerine as a refreshing bath (mix w/ H20 of course)
Quick-Braid for helping to tame the mane
Mrs. Pastures for keeping Mickey happy!
And, despite everyone else's opinions, I LIKE Ariats! I've had one pair of paddock boots for over 3 years now and I've worn them every day. I have 4 pairs of paddock/muck boots total and they've all been fine. (Plus my field boots are Ariats as well)
Net Relief!!! Stopped Mickey's head shaking during allergy season!!
ReactorPanel saddle!!

Dislike:

I guess I'm only the 2nd person who wasn't too thrilled w/ Leather Therapy. It seems like it cleans well, but leaves it a bit dry. I like the Lexol liquid soap.

Citronella natural fly spray - what a rip off!

Baby pads - they got all bunchy under my old saddles

Miller's CR-7 breeches. Mine got holes in them above the knee patches.

* I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. *

kd welden
May. 31, 2002, 11:26 AM
lots of great ones, here's my favorites

the pulling comb with wooden handle, its a Godsend!

cornucrescine for feet - nothing better

quiksilver shampoo

lexol spray conditioner

kirk's castile soap

continuex - want a reason to use this stuff? Come see my horse!

zinc oxide for babies - best sunscreen for white noses and feet

and finally, I could not do it without my Smart Pak!!! They make life so much easier!

DMK
May. 31, 2002, 11:33 AM
I clean forgot about the "doesn't work" category.

I'm right there with you on the Ariats. I've heard good reports from a lot of people who LOVE them, but I never experienced it (I will caveat that I am very tough on shoes - all of them).

Magnetic boots (bell, hock and ankle) - I'm lukewarm on this one. I bought 'em because I figured if they did nothing more than increase blood flow (all that they have been proven to do) than it would be enough. Well I saw virtually no improvement over a variety of horses/conditions. But on the other hand, it's not like magnets expire, so at $40-$200 bucks for a lifetime of product use... well I have had worse deals on things that didn't work.

Just about any "horse" shampoo. Big bucks for nothing that I couldn't get in my bottle of Dove!

Eqyss Avocado Mist - smells great, wasn't so great for detangling.

Cowboy Magic detangler stuff. It might work great but it's hideously expensive AND it takes three years to apply it. Like I wanted to expire of old age on the washrack?

More product recommendations:

I have to plug the Alu Spray again - great for hulking idiot young horses that have scrape du jour.

MSM!!! Isn't it nice when one of the cheapest supplements is one of the best?

Dover's Italian knock off gum bell boots - cheap and good, plus they are one of the easier pulls ons to deal with (but extra thick at the bottom).

Vetrolin - a good over all body wash

creseida
May. 31, 2002, 11:48 AM
Other things, now that I think of them:

Belvoir Glycerine Soap
Excalibur (works great on dirty mare udders /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

Dislikes:
Anything from State Line Tack /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
TS breeches (gross colour, overpriced)
Horseman's One Step (goes on Highly despised list)
Neatsfoot COMPOUND

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

JRG
May. 31, 2002, 12:16 PM
Things I like:

Hammanol for leather conditioner

Solitude- I don't want to be around my horse with this fly spray. Note: Shouldn't be used daily.

Buccas blankets. Rambo's too.

Grooma curry's, the one with all the little rubber nubbies. Works wonderfully on my sensitive TB.

Vetroline shine

Feibrings- For hooves, it is the only one that has an anti-bacteriant in it.

Lemattes wool pad. Just awsome, have 3 of them.

Big Waste of money:

Micro tek, didn't do squat for my boys fungus

Thrush buster too darn expensive...period.

Repel "What"...anything at all

Argentinian strap goods, once you touch it you can't get that smell out.

Ms. Anthrope
May. 31, 2002, 01:05 PM
I have yet to find a fly spray that works. They're water-based so as soon as your horse sweats it's pretty much gone. What i did find to be effective was to spray tails heavily with whatever brand is cheapest. That helped. For thrush, 1 part bleach to 9 parts water, mist lightly. Way cheaper and more effective then anything else. Bareback pads in general are a waste of money. I also agree that ariat paddock boots aren't worth it, mine lasted six months while the original pair I got (I think they were devon-aires) lasted 9 years. I had them resoled once and replaced the heels twice on them but that's only because I destroy shoes since my feet are bad.

Goodyfourshoes!
May. 31, 2002, 01:36 PM
edit

JuniorJumper01
May. 31, 2002, 02:00 PM
Like:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

Solitude Fly Spray

Internatinal AV 2 Helmet

$40 SLT Show Shirt

$6 Pebble Grip gloves that STOP blistering on your poor fingers

Lexol conditioner and cleaner

My CHEAP Devon-Aire field boots that have lasted me 2 years and are still going strong and looking good

Sheepskin grooming mits for show ring touch-ups (I LOVE these-Gets rid of ALL extra dust/loose hair that wasn't brushed off)

Scrub 'N Wash Sponges

Quic Color

White vinigar for cleaning white socks, etc.

Mens beard and mustache trimmers for clipping the face, ears, and fetlocks ($12 on sale by ConAir)

Vetrolin liniment

Hooflex liquid and paste

Kopertox for thrush

Rio Vista Mineral Ice for legs

Show Sheen

Nevr-Dull Silver polish

Fungisan for ALL of your fungis problems

Corona ointment

Tuff-Boxes as tack trunks

Weatherbeeta cool coat sheet (for sun, flies, and the night before a show)

HDR Bridle (very nice quality for price)

French link full-cheek bits are GOD!

Devon-Aire Cool Cotton breeches (made of a fabric that literally can not pill)

Dublin overlay girth ($60 if you can find one)

HDR saddles are not THAT bad if you take really good care of them and have a booty thats ONLY worth $800. Foam panels can always be re-flocked. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Professional's Choice boots of all kinds

LibertyVille's jumping boots that have interchangeable liners (fleece and neoprene) but ARE made in an un-desireable country (Read: India) Leather does not smell and fleece lining is nice. 4 straps as opposed to 3.

Shoulders Back training aid

$5 SLT whips (leave me alone!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dominus 2-way flex stirrups

Vetrolin Bath

Absorbine herbal coat conditioner

Pytchley show gloves (extremely slippery at first)
[/list]

Dislikes:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

Baby pads without girth and/or billet straps

Rubber Bits

Vinyl salt block holders

TS's

SSG Pro Show Glove (wear through very quickly and cause severe blistering of the fingers)

Neatsfoot Compound

Bite Free Fly Spray

Devon-Aire Versailles Breeches (pill very badly)

SLT brand leather

Natural fly sprays

Bungee cross ties/trailer ties

Cheap plastic tack boxes

"Prince of Wales Spur Set" with nylon starps. The spurs start to peel after awhile... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Flat nylon lead lines

[/list]

*~One tequilla, two tequilla, three tequilla, FLOOR!~*

*~If you can't Dodge it, Ram it~*

*~Amanda~*

www.pbec.net (http://www.pbec.net)

Paris
May. 31, 2002, 02:49 PM
What's a lematte wool pad?

reefy!
May. 31, 2002, 03:00 PM
JuniorJumper01

Where'd you find that Dublin girth?? I just ordered one last week from Mary's Tack but they neglected to tell me it was on order from Europe and will take 4-6 weeks to get here /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

It was a beautiful one (orginally ordered the wrong color). Does Dublin have a website?

JuniorJumper01
May. 31, 2002, 06:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aclamado:
_JuniorJumper01_

Where'd you find that Dublin girth?? I just ordered one last week from Mary's Tack but they neglected to tell me it was on order from Europe and will take 4-6 weeks to get here /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

It was a beautiful one (orginally ordered the wrong color). Does Dublin have a website?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually got it at a tent sale near me. (If any of you come to Wellington-It's the big white tent on South Shore.)

They are saddlery liquidators. I believe I have their website:
Saddlery Liquidators (http://www.saddleryonline.com)

My girth is not listed on their site, but then again, most of what I bought from them while they were here is not listed on their site. They are based in VA but come down to Wellington for the season.

If you e-mail them, I'm sure that they will help you out. The customer service is truly excellent and I highly recommend them. GREAT people.

I'll scan a picture of my girth if I can find one. (The girth has brown double elastic on both ends and has that center strip down the middle that some find unattractive. I guess that would make it a chefeless girth and not an overlay-sorry about that bit of false information! The center strip is a darker contrasting color than the "body" of the girth which is a nice conservative "all-around" brown to match many saddles. The leather is also exceptionally nice for the price paid. The two colors in the girth match my other tack perfectly, so I went for it. It was cheap enough...)

I hope you like what you find! If I can help you anymore, please let me know!

Now that I've figured out my girth ISN'T and overlay, you may not be interested, but still give the liquidators a try. Or you could try Great Tack Store! (http://www.equestrian-tack.com)
This place also has exceptional customer service. Will special order ANYTHING for you and sells at a *very* competitive price. Bought all horsey Christmas gifts from these people and literally saved hundreds. They wil negotiate to prices that are a real steal! A family owned and operated business. Great people X10! You can mention my name if you buy from them (hint hint.) Actually mention my mom's name (Mary Mahar) since she's the one with the credit cards. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A picture of a similar girth but mine doesn't look so "suede-y." It's actually a very nice and smooth grained-type leather.
Girth (http://store1.yimg.com/I/crazyhorse_1681_10206179)

[This message was edited by JuniorJumper01 on May. 31, 2002 at 09:32 PM.]

JB
May. 31, 2002, 06:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KH0920:
I have yet to find a fly spray that works. They're water-based so as soon as your horse sweats it's pretty much gone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I like the Dynamite spray - it's all natural, and is mineral oil based so it doesn't magically evaporate. It also doesn't leave a heavy residue that some other oil bases sprays I tried did.

Neighland
May. 31, 2002, 06:43 PM
Derma Cloth's.....the BEST invention ever!! They are wonderful for scratches and fungus...no scrubbing or washing...wipe them on and wipe off...just like Karate Kid!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Aresol Fly spray...the only spray I use well I have the bottle of Bronco for my 22 year old that wont' tolerate aresol.

Quic Color/ Silver...wonderful

quick Braid....again wonderful

Professional choice girths.....a beautiful thing! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Rambo's...another beautiful thing I will never use another turnout!

Good ole Delgrange's...not the new ones but the oldies!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Loofa's...great!

Giant fans in barn aisles....a must in the hot south!

Dislikes:

Excalibur....awful unless you like huge sheaths!!

Any leather stuff the gunks up tack!!

wierd polos...you know the ones....too fluffy and too stretchy.

orange tack!!

oh and to whoever the person was...possibly DMK that mentioned the avacodo mist...yeah I was peeved when it came home and did nada....smells great though!!
hmmm well I guess that is all!!

great suggestions everyone

Lord Helpus
May. 31, 2002, 07:17 PM
Geeze, guys, this is great. I am keeping a list. Only one problem: some of these things I have only vaguely heard of before and i don't know where to look for them. Junior Jumper was great to post all those links to her girth. Maybe some of you could edit your posts to include what tack shops you buy these products at???? Cuz if it ain't in Dover or SLT, I probably don't have a clue where to look for it..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Like fly masks with ears. What do you all do for your horses who get ears trimmed for shows? Around here no one carried masks with ears.....

I will add that both Ariats and Horseman's one Step are on my "Can't live with it, Can't live without it" lists. I have a Love/Hate relationship with both products... but I will keep on buying them until something better comes along.

lilblackhorse
May. 31, 2002, 08:22 PM
ok, I will jump in with my limited memory:

Passier Lederbalsam
Hydrophane
Kirk's Castile
Showsheen
Turnout rugs with warranties (TAKA-tho the buckles sucked)
Schreiner's
my 25 year old Stuebben body brush
Sterlite or Rubbermaid containers
Roma Equalizer gel girths
Roma galloping boots
the Absorbine green fly spray stuff
Saratoga Oasis fly sheet
Aanstadt Daas full seats
Mane master
Myler bits
Coolmax shirts & microfibre underwear
fleece instead of wool for some coolers
Wellington boots for rainy weather
kerrit's vests
rubber reins with handstops
Jolly balls
Body protectors (Tipperary)

Dislikes:
Cowboy magic (it isn't water soluble, and is a mess to clean up if it spills, take my word for it)
heavy gel pads
Nylon halters and leads
dressage pads which are too long
Ariat paddock boots
Orvis shampoo
Sleazy sleepwear

Wow, I am sure I am leaving out something on the dislike list, but I am such a tackaholic, I can get excited about any product!LOLOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif The cowboy Magic when it was ripped open by the barn packrat was my most frustrating moment. I liked the stuff too until I tried to clean it up. I htink my more frustrating ongoing product are the Ariat boots. I even recently called them and told them that they stink, and for $185 for Hexcel Pro's they should last a lot longer than a year of mild to moderate use. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif . I am pleased to see I am not the only one annoyed with Ariat.

aimee

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

MsRidiculous
May. 31, 2002, 08:30 PM
I forgot what I hate!

Showsheen
gel pads
myler bits
girth covers (only because they slide around and bunch up and just annoy the crud outa me)
polo wraps. any kind. I hate them!

I gave up on fly spray years ago. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

-Amanda

Just keep kicking

Judy A
May. 31, 2002, 08:53 PM
Most off you will turn your noses up at this but it works----1 gal of kerosene---add a little water, not much + a dab of breath o' pine.

Instead of show sheen----Pledge or other furniture spray.
to toughen feet + also soles especialy for people changing to te barefoot trim----formaldahyde.

white line--a mix of strong iodine + formaldahyde.

for flies---soak a strip of flannel or other absorbant cloth in the above fly mixture + tie in horses tail, or to halter, in mane, etc.

Gucci Cowgirl
May. 31, 2002, 09:36 PM
Those square cloth things that make your horse COPLETELY shiny (Maple Springs!)

Cavallo Dress Boots /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Marigold's Fly Spray (by Equyss(sp?) (Dog and Pony!)

SMB boots (Maple Springs!)

Eskadron Polos (Maple Springs!)

SSG gloves (any, they're greaaat!) (practically everywhere)

Vogel's leather conditioner

Passier Lederbalsam (everywhere)

Stuuben Spurs (they last soooo long!!) (Maple Springs)

Dislike:

Any flyspray that is water soluble and smells bad

Spray-on leather soap

cheap bell boots

home-made polos that are never the right size

Gel pads

Saddle Pads without billet or girth straps

Nylon lead/lunge lines

Elastic side reins

Cheap elastics that break when you need them most

~*Grand Prix schoolmaster = $250,000.....
*15 yrs training with the world's top trainers = $40,000.....
*Top hat and tails = $1000.....
*The final salute after completing your first Grand Prix test = PRICELESS.~ (copyright me!)

RubysMom
May. 31, 2002, 11:43 PM
No one's mentioned "Quik Braid"?
That stuff is awesome!!!!
Works way better than gel, IMO.
Adam's Fly Spray and Flysect Super 7 are the best of the fly sprays, the rest are worthless.
Love my Epona Scrubby cloth, it's the BEST for bathing and when used dry gets sweat marks off the coat with little effort.
Other Faves:
Cowboy Magic
The cheapie anti-bacterial pop up baby wipes that you get at Wally World for cleaning horsey eye snots and crusty nostrils, works better than a wet rag.
Hoof Alive
(great for human nails and cuticles too!)
Square Pad with big pockets for trail riding, snacks, drinks, carrots, cell phone, map, hoof pick all fits with room to spare.
Strongid C2X...wonderful stuff, keeps my colic prone mare colic free!
Riding Sneakers, Roper Brand....wears like iron, and believe me, I abuse them.
Sheepskin Mitt, a must have for the grooming box. Puts that final shine on the coat.
Thrush buster

NOT faves:
Excalibur....has anyone figured out how to keep the stuff IN the sheath? I even have a problem cleaning my mare's "tetas" with it. But it DOES work great on getting manes and tails "squeaky" clean. (gotta give it that much).
Clac fly spray, any natural fly spray...worthless!
Ditto on the Avocado Mist....

Tannenwald Trakehner
Jun. 1, 2002, 01:04 AM
My Bentley Dressage Saddle (loves...)
Courbette stirrup leathers
Keratex Hoof Hardener
Nolvasan Ointment (or my own mix--Nolvasan teat dip mixed with KY Jelly)
Quic Color
Quic Braid (loves)
Uckele Animal Health products including Hoof Biotin, Yucca Saponin, Equi-VM
Cortaflx
B-L Solution
Hamilton halters--best hardware
Double ended brass snaps--million uses
Duct tape--million & two
Economy size dewormers, including Safeguard & ivermectin
Custom mixed grain--oat & corn & soy base, light on the molasses, vitamins & natural oils preserved
PLastic mounting block
Bacon grease for hooves
Solid plastic fence posts--look like wood, NO chewing, no rotting (loves!)

Dislikes:

Wahl Black as something shampoo--majorly thick purple boogery stuff
Commercial fly sprays
Any "cheater" stirrup irons
Cocosoya - whatever they say, way more expensive than soybean oil at Sams or Gordon Foods, plus shipping; refined oils add calories, natural grains and seeds (sunflower & flax hear hear!) add EFAs; don't know what the heck the coconut oil supposedly brings to the party
Pelleted feeds--dried puffballs of unknown origin & age, when horses prefer grain

Breeders & Friends of the Trakehner horse:
American Trakehners - European Engineering, Made in America!

JRG
Jun. 1, 2002, 01:39 AM
CM, they are wool sheerling saddle pads. I throw them in the wash and dry and they always come out fabulous. I guy in europe makes them for Eisers. I was wining that all the pads he used to make were huge so if you had a smaller saddle they looked hidious. Then he sent me a smaller one. I have been in love ever since. I have had my original for 2 years, and just bought another one for schooling. But you need the third for showing. The only down side is they are pricey, but I haven't spent a dime on any other saddle pad so I think I have broken even.LOL

piaffeprincess98
Jun. 1, 2002, 04:19 AM
for fly spray i love the Supershield Green. The roll one stuff is good o, as is Gnat Away.

Shampoos I'd say Riovista COlor Enhancing (I use chstnut)

for conditioners I like Eqyss Avacodo mist or the botanical one that's for mane and tail too (can't think of the name....) The marigold summer stuff is good too. Hey, ALL of Eqyss' stuff is good, but a bit expensive!)

For feet, I like Fiebing's (SP?) Hoff dressing cause it dries quickly.

For blanket's sheets, I like the Baker show sheets. WeatherBeeta makes good horse clothing and I love my WB galloping boots.

~*Lindsay*~
A proud co-owner of CorLin PROductions. Watch out horseworld, here we come!

**Currently having found that perfect Mini (his name is Rocky) and moving in at our own little farm**

JuniorJumper01
Jun. 1, 2002, 04:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
Geeze, guys, this is great. I am keeping a list. Only one problem: some of these things I have only vaguely heard of before and i don't know where to look for them. Junior Jumper was great to post all those links to her girth. Maybe some of you could edit your posts to include what tack shops you buy these products at???? Cuz if it ain't in Dover or SLT, I probably don't have a clue where to look for it..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Like fly masks with ears. What do you all do for your horses who get ears trimmed for shows? Around here no one carried masks with ears.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel honored. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

For fly masks with ears the Crusader mask looks awesome (although I haven't had any personal experience with them. Maybe some owners of them could help out here.) I was going to buy one while my horse was at our old barn because flies were pretty bad, but we moved, and flies now are pretty minimal and she doesn't need one.

ANYWAY, Dover and (I *think*) SLT carry the Crusader fly mask. They come in "long" sizes which cover the nose and with ears. And there is a nifty hole between the ears for the forelock to pop through.

Here's some links:
Fly Mask with Ears (http://www.doversaddlery.com/cart1.asp?CatalogNumber=4b-2336)
When you get on that page, there are links to many other Crusader masks. (long, long with ears, and standard.)

Dover also carries the popular Farnam Supermask with Ears ($19.70), a short hood fly mask ($15.70), Riders fly mask with ears ($11.99), and the Absorbine bonnet with ears ($15.70) which looks like the horse would keep it on for approximately 5 minutes. The Crusaders by far seem the best.

Check out Dover's 2002 Catalog on pages 128-129 or their sale catalog on pages 58-59 where all of the above fly masks are on sale! (Or if you want just ear protection, you could use the fly bonnets that all the jumpers are wearing these days!) There was also a great H&R article on this subject (fly protection for horses with clipped ears) that I will have to dig up for you.

E-mail me if you need product numbers or anything if you don't have the sale catalog. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If you need help finding other products people have mentioned, e-mail me and I bet I can find it for you.

*~One tequilla, two tequilla, three tequilla, FLOOR!~*

*~Amanda~*

mmaurer
Jun. 1, 2002, 07:43 AM
I love all the healthy hair products. Their shampoo's are awesome and the critus makes my grungy grey shine,and keeps him clean until he gets home to the dirt hole he loves to roll in.

I hate hay bags and hay nets. Why can't they make bags that stand up to wear and don't rip and horses can chew holes in them.grrr.

Leslie Maurer
Jump The Moon Sporthorses
Home of Echo Shea (arab sporthorse) and Outrageous Fortune(overo Pinto RPSI)

Invite
Jun. 1, 2002, 07:44 AM
My favorites:
Rio Vista Equine Shine waaaayyyy better than show sheen /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
castile soap-so much easier than the green jelly goop for cleaning sheaths!!!
Paul's Harness Shop they make such nice leather stuff and it is very reasonable.
Corona Ointment- super for scrapes
Finish Line Fluid Action
Bite Free- pricey, but it seems to work

Invite
Jun. 1, 2002, 07:52 AM
Stuff I hate:
Shoulders back thing....why in the world did I waste $50 on that thing??????
Bronco bug spray - It just sucks
Excalibur....more of the green goop ends up on the ground than in the sheath
The made in argentina pessoas....they are sooo heavy, no where near as nice as they were when they were made in England.
I'm sure their is a lot more I hate, but this is all i can think of right now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

myrna
Jun. 1, 2002, 09:47 AM
Hate.

the fly mask with ears......when(not if) a fly gets inside,it drives the poor horse crazy.

mm

3dazey
Jun. 1, 2002, 04:11 PM
Love this topic!

Have just 3 to add...

LOVE...

Nolvasan cream (can this still be found for sale?)
Poly pads
Keratex hoof hardener (saved my TB's career & I am a sane person again!)

NRB
Jun. 1, 2002, 04:55 PM
Arait WORK boots,

The Cascades have lasted 2 plus years so far of riding, mucking, and washing horses (on a somewhay daily basis, 5 to 6 days a week). Interesting to hear that the paddock boots don't have a good rep.

Cowboy Magic detangler
for tails has been awsome.

The Versallies Breeches from Devon Aire have held up fine for me.

Ghazzu
Jun. 1, 2002, 05:45 PM
Derma-Gel wound ointment.
Actually works.

Portia
Jun. 1, 2002, 05:50 PM
Loves:

Eskadron Open Front Gel Boots -- provide support and protection, go on and off super easily, and you can throw them in the washer. Some of the new copies probably work just as well. (Dover)

Lende Shipping Boots -- safe, stay in place, easy to use, and durable. I've had mine for 6 or 7 years now. I saw these boots save a mare who got hung up in a trailer and kicked the partition down. She was cut up like hell on the flesh above the boots, but all the important stuff in her lower legs and hocks were protected. (Dover and other places)

Fungidye -- for thrush and skin fungus. It kills the bacteria without killing the healthy tissue. You can get it from Jeffers and some other places.
Jeffers -- Fungidye (http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&mscssid=ABCNEGMSRVU29NRTDFEDCLL27EMC99F6&pf_id=11840)

Miracle Mist with Tea Tree Oil (anywhere)

Eqyss Micro-Tek (anywhere)

Cowboy Magic Detangler (anywhere)

Web-rubber reins (Dover or Courbette)

My relatively new Albion Kontrol jumping saddle

Sprenger jointed stirrup irons -- I have a bad knee and they let me ride with my stirrups short enough (anywhere)

Trevira Cord Girth (from Dover and probably other places) -- inexpensive ($16.70 at Dover) comfortable, does not chafe, can't be overtightened, throw it in the washing machine and it comes out great. A great summer girth.

Equalizer Comfort Girth (again from Dover and other places) -- same attributes as the cord girth, but a bit more traditional looking, and you can throw it in the washer A great winter girth.

EuroGirth -- a pretty traditional looking girth made of heavy elastic that stretches a little bit all over. The hardware is excellent and they last a long time. Problem is, I don't know where to get them now that Tack in the Box doesn't carry much tack any more.

Beval's Italian stirrup leathers -- leather around a nylon core, so they don't stretch, and half-holes (Beval)

Western-style Thinning Knife -- the kind that has a wooden handle and folds up like a switch blade -- great for doing mane quickly and easily and still having them look pretty good (Dover and lots of other places)

Kerrits Schooling Tights -- lightweight, breathable, stretchy, good for our heat (anywhere)

Boink Schooling Tights -- same quallities as Kerrits (Boink, Dovers, or other places)

Royal Rider Fly Wraps -- Lucien has to wear wraps because he's prone to summer sores, and he destroys them quickly. These, he's had for a couple of months and hasn't destroyed yet. (United Vet Equine and other places)

Groomers Edge Double K 501 Clippers -- see my post on Beezer's thread about clipper recommendations (United Vet Equine)

Manna Pro Apple Wafers -- 20 lbs of long-lasting horse cookies for $10.00 (the feed store or State Line)

Hates:

Leather Girths

Saddles, bridles, or other leather goods made in Argentina (including now the Pessoas) or India

Hoof conditioners -- the last thing we need in our climate is to make hooves moister than they are

Little pieces of nylon and foam that claim to be shipping boots

Leather horse boots with fleece lining -- how does anybody keep these clean?

"I hold it that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing..." Thomas Jefferson

Pony Jumper
Jun. 1, 2002, 06:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghazzu:
Derma-Gel wound ointment.
Actually works.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where do you get Derma-Gel? I got from some my vet when my horse had a cut that wouldn't heal on his leg and this stuff was so great for it! I would like to get some more, as I have almost finished the bottle, but I don't know if I should get it from my vet or if there is another place to get it.

snapper
Jun. 1, 2002, 06:34 PM
Products that work:

Quic Braid. I recommend this to everyone.
Mane master. For mane maintenance only. I pull when Snapper is sedated and attempt to keep her mop under control with the mane master. Works pretty well until I slack off.
Tritech Super 7 fly spray.
Absorbine Supershield Green-lasts long enough for a ride and I can use it on myself. Plus it smells nice.

Products that don't work:
Any other fly spray I have ever tried!

Lord Helpus
Jun. 1, 2002, 08:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Judy A:
to toughen feet + also soles especialy for people changing to te barefoot trim----formaldahyde.

white line--a mix of strong iodine + formaldahyde.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me guess... Judy A is married to an undertaker. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif That is just about the only way you can get formaldahyde.... I know, because I have tried. Finally, someone told my that Thompson's Deck Sealer had formaldahyde in it. So down to Home Depot I go and look at the lables. I can't tell from the labels, so I call the 800 number on the side of the can. After asking my question 3 times I end up talking to an attorney in their regulatory department! I think that they thought I was an undercover agent trying to find out if Thompsons was breaking any Federal laws....

Once the attorney at Thompsons realized that I was not an undercover spy, but just some crazy horse person who wanted hard hooves on her horse, he spoke guardedly to me. Turns out that formaldehyde is a bad carcinogen and is closely regulated. It has been removed from all consumer products and the likes of you and I cannot buy it anymore.

lilblackhorse
Jun. 1, 2002, 08:45 PM
Portia, the Eurogirth can be found at Dressage Extensions. We just got one in at our shop, and needed to find one to see how to price a used one-(ours is a 28 FWIW /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Snapper, that is how I do my horse's mane too....pull when drugged, mane master to tide us over until the next drugging /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

I forgot another love:

Patagonia riding breeches. They quit making them, but promised me that they would be bringing them back. I love them-lightweight fabric, pullons, with "bicycle short" crotch of cushy fleece. They also make a winter weight breech too. I scarfed up all the ones I could find from patagonia's outlets, but alas, mine are wearing out. Perhaps if enough people called their 800 number, we could get them back in production.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

In The Gate
Jun. 1, 2002, 10:31 PM
Are you kidding? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole, let alone put it on my horse! Not only is it a carcinogen, it can kill you if you breathe it in. My biology teacher spent several days in the hospital when he was in college because of it. It will damage your lungs so oxygen cannot get in, it will preserve you alive.

They stopped using it even as a preservative and now use safer, less toxic chemicals.

Valerie
~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
I'm a 4th quarter senior!!!
And I'm going to:!!!UC Davis!!!
Valerie's home page (http://www.geocities.com/vwiles02)

[This message was edited by In The Gate on Jun. 02, 2002 at 01:55 AM.]

breezymeadow
Jun. 2, 2002, 05:38 AM
yes, Nolvasan is back on the market in it's delightful creme form.

It was taken off for a couple of years due to "product instability" (which I believe was either that the ingredients tended to separate and/or didn't last as long as the expiration date led one to believe). Apparently, they fixed the problem, & it is now available pretty much everywhere it was before.

Right after it was taken off the market, Breezymeadow purchased six jars of "contraband" so as not to run out. Can you tell that it's a product that she likes & uses?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer- upper".

vineyridge
Jun. 2, 2002, 05:48 AM
Love:
All Select products that I've tried--
NuHoof and Powerflex both worked for Duncan.

Keratex for hooves (it does have formaldehyde)

A cheap sponge from the auto department at WallyWorld with a built in scrubber on one side--great for scrubbing away crud on legs and backs and much cheaper than any horse product

SUNFLOWER SEEDS--thanks, Fairweather

Grooma soft rubber curries

Equine America's Sheath Cleaner

Actually I'm fond of pretty much all Equine America products

The safety halters in nylon with a leather crown piece.

Bag Balm for scrapes, etc.

Hates:

Can't think of any off the bat.

Just My Style
Jun. 2, 2002, 06:06 AM
Weathabeeta blankets

Bronco Fly Spray (Cheap and works as well as anything else.)

Ringworm/ Rain Rot Spray (It pink and you can get it from Jeffers. It is MUCH cheaper than any other fungicidal spray an it works amazingly well. Couldn't live with out it.)

Head & Shoulders w/ conditioner (Especially for the dandruff mane or tail.)

Murphy's Oil Soap for tack

Stable Fresh (Spray it in your stalls or paddock where the horses urinate. Eliminates flies and odors. You can also use it for all other pets.)

Desitin (Diaper rash cream. The perfect all purpose cream.)

FlowerPower
Jun. 2, 2002, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3dazey:

Nolvasan cream (can this still be found for sale?)
Poly pads
Keratex hoof hardener (saved my TB's career & I am a sane person again!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Caution regarding Nolvasan cream... very good for horses, very bad for cats! It says on the label that it can be used for cats but it nearly killed mine...

~Arkie clique~

"Do, or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Ghazzu
Jun. 2, 2002, 09:54 AM
I believe Derma-Gel is only available throught the vet.

I second the flex stirrups (I have the Sprenger knock-offs) for those of us with bad knees.

For sole toughening, Durasole.
Available online through Alvin Farrier supply, IIRC.

Tannenwald Trakehner
Jun. 2, 2002, 10:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3dazey:

Caution regarding Nolvasan cream... very good for horses, very bad for cats! It says on the label that it can be used for cats but it nearly killed mine...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have used it on my cat with no problem, but he is not an extremely fastidious guy and so did not ingest much.

Breeders & Friends of the Trakehner horse:
American Trakehners - European Engineering, Made in America!

DMK
Jun. 2, 2002, 11:55 AM
Lord Helpus - I wonder if the vets can still get formaldahyde?

We used to mix with iodine to make a sole toughener, and we also got straight formaldahyde to - get this - remove elastikon residue! Nothing and I mean NOTHING is better to remove that gunk off hair!

And strangely, we did not die while using it. Of course we didn't walk into a low ventilation area and snort away, either! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

There is another effective - probably MORE effective method of toughening up a sole... There is a product that large mechanic shops use to clean up oil/gas out of water spills. The stuff comes in a sheet or roll - it looks like a tightly woven white felt (that's as close as I can get to describing it). It may only be about 1/4" thick max. The mechanics I have known call the stuff "diapers" or "tampons" (don't ask /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ). It is about as close to 100% water repellent as you can get.

We used to put venice turpentine on the sole, cut out a hoof shaped piece of the stuff, with an inset cut out for the frog, slap it on, and possibly apply some duct tape, but if they were going in the stall, the venice turpentine held it in place pretty well (sometimes up to 24 hours).

The stuff worked as well or better than anything else I ever tried (up to and including vet prepared sole paints). Finding it is a little tougher. Fortunately my BIL works at a large carrier company, but I gather the stuff is precious even to them!

MeanderCreek
Jun. 2, 2002, 01:11 PM
find someone who SHOWS dairy cows - they'll have formaldahyde, or know where to get it - how do you think all those cows get four nice full even quarters /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

www.meandercreekstable.com (http://www.meandercreekstable.com)

Lord Helpus
Jun. 2, 2002, 03:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MeanderCreek:
find someone who SHOWS dairy cows - they'll have formaldahyde, or know where to get it - how do you think all those cows get four nice full even quarters /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meandercreek, I can honestly say I have never thought of how cows get 4 nice even full quarters. In fact, I am not sure, even now, what you mean by it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Now, in a meat cow, I could imagine why a "quarter" might be important, by why would a dairy cow need to have 4 quarters? (Unless it was to make change for a dollar? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

DMK
Jun. 2, 2002, 05:23 PM
In Section 3.67.A.c.ii of "Useless Trivia" that I have gathered over the years, a "quarter" is a teat. Four even quarters is a full bag that is perfectly symmetrical. I think it's possible that this info has been retained from reading All Creatures Great and Small in the 70's, but I'm not sure about that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As to how or why formaldahyde gives a dairy cow a full quarter, I don't have a clue, and I am pretty sure I don't even want to dwell on it, and dear lord, one hopes they don't sell off the milk of the winner like they auction off the beef steer!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

creseida
Jun. 2, 2002, 08:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RubysMom:
Excalibur....has anyone figured out how to keep the stuff IN the sheath? I even have a problem cleaning my mare's "tetas" with it.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you don't just take a gob of it and stuff it in there. You rub it on your hand a little bit, then work your now-coated hand up there and... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Same for mares. I have a mare who gets the black cruddies almost daily. A lot of this is due to an old injury that does not allow her to completely lift her tail, so she gets "klingons" and drippies that accumulate. She gets a butt bath almost daily to keep her clean.

Now you know how I have so much experience with sheath cleaner. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

RubysMom
Jun. 2, 2002, 09:23 PM
OK, NOW I know how to use Excalibur.
I would get so mad when the gel would just "glob" out of the sheath, I would be stuffing it into the sheath and it would fall out as fast as I could stuff it in there..... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Thanks for the tip....:D
Is there a "blonde moment" clique out there? tee-hee

creseida
Jun. 2, 2002, 09:46 PM
NO problem! It took me the first 10 or 15 tries to figure it out myself. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Sleepy
Jun. 3, 2002, 05:48 AM
Well, this thread has taken a turn for the weird, discussing formaldehyde and dairy cow udders. I don't think I want milk from a show cow either. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

DMK, to remove Elastikon residue or anything else sticky like that, use something with acetone in it such as Absorbine. Also useful for removing labels from places they should have put labels in the first place. Anyone that has nail polish or fake nails, be careful doing this as it will destroy your nails.

MeanderCreek
Jun. 3, 2002, 06:36 AM
You don't need to worry, the milk of show cows doesn't even come close to your bowl of Wheaties. They're milked into the drain when they're being treated for anything.

DMK is right as always - the quarters are sections of udder and they're supposed to be even and full looking. Realistically, they're usually not, so some people who show do things to "enhance" the udder. Just like some people who show horses do things to "enhance" a horses disposition, training, or tail.

and back to the original topic

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I love
show sheen
Araiat paddock boots - mine last about a year and a half each pair worn ten hours a day avery day - better than my Blundstones that only lasted three months
SWAT
Pyrannah fly spray - it actually works
Poly pads for schooling
Real sheepskin pads for showing

www.meandercreekstable.com (http://www.meandercreekstable.com)

Lord Helpus
Jun. 3, 2002, 06:58 AM
Well, I am now 1 week into my Apple Cider Vinegar trial and I can now put in in my "Things that work" list. I am deliberately only flyspraying Bear's legs and ears (he has a fly mask), but not putting any fly spray on him body.

He is every bit as happy as the two boys who are wearing fly sheets. I look out to the pasture and his tail is mostly still, with just an occasional flick. Before the vinegar, even with fly spray, he was constantly flicking off flies.

I am feeding all the horses a 1/2 cup morning and a 1/2 cup evening. Only George took a day or so to get used to the taste. I guess he had never been fed apples where he came from. I know that both Warren and Bear love apples, and they had no trouble at all eating their grain with the apple cider vinegar in it.

The best part is, the more they sweat, the better it works, and it can't wash off!

CAH
Jun. 3, 2002, 07:04 AM
Products that I love....

Dermal-gel
Biozide gel
Both are obtained through your vet.

Orvus shampoo. A little goes a long way and it rinses clean. Great for facilities that bath many horses.

Quik braid
Waxed braiding thread
Solo comb
Furacin spray
Ariat boots
Lexol conditioner

Things I have used and hate....
Any medication that is "red, blue, etc"
Wonder dust
Mane Master
Any "spot on" fly treatment

Things I wouldn't be caught dead with...
Spotted, striped or blotched polo wraps, saddle pads or breeches that look like they belong on safari

Hot pink, neon orange, lime green anything

reefy!
Jun. 3, 2002, 08:07 AM
Yay JuniorJumper01!

I've been looking for a girth with brown elastic!
Not white, not *green* but brown! That way you don't see it so much.

Everyone has given such a wealth of good information.

Thanks!

JuniorJumper01
Jun. 3, 2002, 04:31 PM
Aclamado,

Yay! Now I feel like I've actually *added* something to this board. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dover also has a couple of leather and synthetic girths with brown elastic. The Dover Fleece-Lined girth appears to have brown elastic (both ends or one end-your choice) and the sheepskin is :gasp: removable for cleaning ease!

Would give you links but the Dover site is down or something. Or maybe my computer is taking a puke on me...again. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

*~Listen! Or Your Tongue Will Make You Deaf.~*

*~Amanda~*

clickstar
Jun. 3, 2002, 04:43 PM
love /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
~ absorbine refreshmint. great body wash to make a tired pony feel relaxed and tingly!
~ shedrow no-bow cottons. nice and fluffy, very hard to wrinkle
~ shedrow (anything!!)
~ lexol cleaner and conditioner. both awesome.
~ quic braid
~ mane and tail shampoo and conditioner
~ baby wipes!!
~ absorbine hooflex
~ farnam wonderdust
~ millers/roma galloping boots
~ eskadron open front knock-offs (same product, 1/3 the price!)
~ waxed braiding thread
~ cheap leather halters from greenhawk. they break when needed, and i don't cry!
~ sealtex!
~ vetrap!
~ davis head bumper and splint boots

hate /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
~ fiebings (anything!!)
~ can-pro green winter blankets
~ cheap immitation "duck" tape (it's gotta be 3M DUCT tape!!)
~ neoprene splint boots
~ absorbine fly masks (they're ugly and don't stay on!)
~ horseman's one-step

[This message was edited by clickstar on Jun. 04, 2002 at 02:11 PM.]

Finzean
Jun. 3, 2002, 11:16 PM
This stuff is great and smells good. Offers protection from all the wonders of summer - sun, etc. and marigolds send bugs running from gardens and in the 3 weeks we've been using this stuff on the "herd" it seems to work.

But I'm with Flash44 - "they [flysprays] all suck." We buy whatever bottle most tickles our fancy. Maybe the vinegar thing is worth a shot....

Favorite things:
Venice Turpentine
Cornucresine
Carr & Day & Martin Belvior Glycerine Soap
Dan's feed tubs and buckets - I've got quite a few that are antiques by now!!
Orvus
super 14

What're you doin' on the ground? I thought you said you could ride?!

Well, I was ridin' when I fell off!!!

Emanon
Jun. 4, 2002, 06:06 AM
Carr Day Martin Main and Tail - the BEST stuff - makes a beautiful tail.

Microtek - excellent - no more scratches or fungus on my redheaded fair skinned boy.

DMK
Jun. 4, 2002, 06:26 AM
finzean - A-double-Men to the Dan's tubs and buckets!!

They are just like the old rubber fortex tubs, in that you cannot kill them, but they sure are a lot nicer to look at!

I know I have a couple that are "visiting" their 3rd decade...

deltawave
Jun. 4, 2002, 08:48 AM
There are easily as many opinions out there as there are people and horses, but here's a few more...

LIKE:
--Repel-X, it works as well (poorly) as the others and is cheap and the smell reminds me of being a kid! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

--FLY PREDATORS! Honest to God, there are like NO flies at our barn this season; the owner puts out a new batch every 2 weeks, and they seem to be working great.

--that new Orange Bottle (some southwestern name) sunscreen/coat conditioner stuff. Got a sample pack at a charity auction and it's keeping my girls nice and clean and slick. If it keeps dark bay Kelly from turning bronze, so much the better...stay tuned.

--cheap-o brand yellow mouthwash is the BEST liniment, and usually around $2.00 a quart.

--Quic Braid

--Formaldehyde or Turpentine for tender bare feet. Turpentine is easier to use and less risky to the horse.

--Legend. Have tried EVERY oral joint supplement known to man, with ho-hum results. After 2 shots of Legend, Kelly is sound as a ROCK again (was ouchy in the hocks) and feeling like a million bucks. I figure 2 shots a year is about the same cost as all those daily supplements...

DON'T LIKE:
--herbs 'n spices, homeopathic remedies, and "natural" products in general. NO data, NO proof, NO well-done controlled studies and NO regulation. That's enough for me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

--those "leather polish" products that leave an icky film on your tack. Plain old castile or glycerine soap and Lexol conditioner for me.

--Vetrolin for MY horse---makes her break out!

http://www.deltawave.homestead.com
http://www.seeliecourt.homestead.com

harmony1679
Jun. 4, 2002, 09:57 AM
I couldn't resist jumping in on this one!

Faves...

*Vetrolin Liniment
*Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer and Hoof Dressing
*Hooflex
*Sivlerado Shine Spray
*Just about any grooming product made by Ultra Schneider's Saddlery (http://www.sstack.com)
*Generic $2 curry brushes
*Farrier's Formula Life Data Labs (http://www.lifedatalabs.com)
*Corta Flx
*Thrush Buster
*Generic glycerin bars
*Passier Lederbalsm
*Schneider's Adjusta-Fit Blankets and SheetsSchneider's Saddlery (http://www.sstack.com)
*Any blanket, sheet, neck sweat, stall drapes, saddle pad, etc made by RaDon (even though they're a little $$$$)
*Quic Braid, Silver and Color
*Billy Royal work tack - especially the english bridle with snapsSchneider's Saddlery (http://www.sstack.com)
*Cashel Crusader fly masks
*Electrogroom horse vacuum
*State Line Tack adjustable yearling blanket (even though the velcro was a little scary for my filly at first, that blanket fit her all winter)
*My Campbell cutback saddle

Can't Stand...
* SHOW SHEEN (I'll save the coat of wax for my car, thank you)
*Fly spray - period.
*Cardboard tack made in India
*Hay nets
*Horseman's One Step
*Polyester saddle seat Kentucky Jods (though I own 3 pairs! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )
*Laced reins
*Catalogs that don't carry any bits smaller than 5"

maresrule
Jun. 4, 2002, 02:20 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Patagonia riding tights ROCK! Those are the best. I would be SO happy if they would bring those back....

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Love my Crusader Fly mask (with ears) and Quiet Ride from

SmartPak (http://www.SmartPakEquine.com)

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My new Mosquito Magnet that sucks up all the skeeters (it was supposed to go to the barn but they are going to have to buy their own - this ones staying in my backyard) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have to say I love my Ariats. I have about 7 pairs including dress boots, paddocks, clogs and their new sandals and have never had a problem with the quality. And they are sooo comfortable.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Baby pads - what is the point?

FifteenOne
Jun. 7, 2002, 04:25 AM
On My Good List:

Gum Spirit of Turpentine (not Venice!) for toughening soles.

Buccas blankets.

Hug fly sheets (www.blanketnet.com (http://www.blanketnet.com))
Clicker for training (http://www.on-target-training.com)

Bit-O-Magic (Cheval)

Ariat boots - I'm in the "I like them" camp!

Hooflex

That little plastic triangle-shaped sweat scraper that's about the size of a greeting card & fits easily in a brush box ($1.89 @ KV Vet supply - www.kvvet.com (http://www.kvvet.com))
7% Tincture Iodine - around nail holes in hooves before hooflexing

Soft rubber curry for bathing

Sheepskin mitt for applying fly spray to ears/face.

Sprenger jointed stirrups.

Just My Style
Jun. 7, 2002, 08:56 AM
I forgot my dislikes:

Bigeloil- Makes me break out in hives! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Daydream Believer
Jun. 7, 2002, 09:52 AM
I haven't read all the posts so forgive me if these have already been mentioned.

Love:

Endure Sweat Resistant Fly Spray-expensive but seems to work better than all the others I've tried.

Animed's Complete Joint Care Powder-Has everything in it to include Glucosamine, Chrondroiten, MSM, yucca, bioflavinoids and creatnine. It's the only product I've ever tried that I can honestly say has helped my TBX geldings hocks. It's kind of new and hard to find but their website is www.animedproducts.com (http://www.animedproducts.com) and they will sell direct. It's reasonably priced as well.

Passier Lederbalsam-best stuff for revitalizing tack.

Wintec saddles-I don't deserve a nice leather saddle. The last one I had never got cleaned /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif and got blisters from dampness. Wintecs are so easy to care for, inexpensive, lightweight, adjustable, and durable.

Wintec webbers-These are the synthetic leathers. They are really easy to adjust either mounted or dismounted and have no buckle bump under your leg.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think...it's Friday! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Britney
Jun. 7, 2002, 12:46 PM
I guess I'm a little late getting to this thread.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif But, I'll post a few of my items anyway /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Oh and, Lord Helpus, you are my angel! after reading that you started using the apple cider vinegar to feed( which I hadn't heard of ) with such great results, I have started using it and already see results! Can it ccause any side effects?

LOVE..

-Absorbine Gel Liniment for shoulders, back, neck, etc.. easy to apply, works well, and smells like spearmint!
-Vetrolin lininment. Hands down the best, in my opinion. I can't get enough of it on my horse's legs.
-All Leather Therapy products as well.
-Horsemen's One-Step, GREAT at restoring old leather and softening new leather.
-Those little one side wool, the other side cactus cloth mitts.. great for applying fly spray to wimps /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
-Davis Bell boots have probably held up the longest in turnout even though I've gone through two pairs of them
-Thornhill bridles. Mine has held up great. even with only about once a month cleaning. It is butter soft.
-Excalibur works fine for me, I also use warm water.
-Rounders horse treats!! My horse is obsessed with them.
-Absorbine Flex+. I like that it has all the same ingredients as Cosequin, but costs about half as much and works just as well.

HATE..

My list is getting overboard.. but the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that just did not work out for me was the Big D fly sheet that I bought. My horse runs around a little bit in turnout, but, The mesh is so thick that he would come in soaked in sweat. I'd rather he found a way to keep the flys off himself, naked.

I do agree with alot of the things people have on their hate lists as well.

--------------------
Britney L. Pelletier
~*Rush Hour*~

still thinking...

Xanthoria
Jun. 7, 2002, 04:18 PM
Love:
- Weatherbeeta Eskadron boot knockoffs!
- Wintec saddles!
- Farnam Tri Tec flyspray!
- $1.49 wide-toothed hair pick/comb from Walgreens - perfect for tails!
- Neosporin for cuts.
- Showsheen for repelling dirt.
- Stateline Tack Essex bridles cheap and not bad at all for the $$!
- Keratex! (it's basically formaldehyde)
- Nice fluffy sheepskin half pad: mmm!
- Mountain Horse Sportive High Rider boots - comfy!

Hate:
- Weatherbeeta Moulded galloping boots: nylon webbing edgeing fell apart, and they got permanently stained with poop and a mystery blue weed thing, after 1 use.
- Laced reins - hell to clean.

NancyL
Jun. 8, 2002, 11:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghazzu:
I believe Derma-Gel is only available throught the vet.

I second the flex stirrups (I have the Sprenger knock-offs) for those of us with bad knees.

For sole toughening, Durasole.
Available online through Alvin Farrier supply, IIRC.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A second vote for Durasole -- hardens up tender tootsies in a heartbeat, won't break the bank, and takes up just a tiny spot in the tack trunk!

I buy it at the local "horseshoe mart" -- yup, they sell horseshoes and other stuff.

Jo
Jun. 8, 2002, 12:16 PM
Off the top of my head...

- Infusium 23 leave-in conditioner. If I had a scanner, I could show some before and after shots of my horse's tail.
- Corona as a hoof ointment
- Fleece schooling square from Dover
- Lifesavers as a cheap, individually wrapped treat (note: not good in Texas summers)
- Mrs. Pasture's horse cookies
- My Ariat boots (both paddock and field)
- My hand-me-down spurs that I got from an old barn mate
- ORVUS! I love love love this shampoo.
- Roll-on deodorant (hee hee) fly spray for the pon-pon's eyes and ears
- Absorbine liniment gel stuff
- MSM
- Chiropractic work

DISLIKES:
- SHOWSHEEN, get it *away* from my horse! I've got a barely used bottle if anybody wants it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
- Mane N Tail (ick ick ick)
- One of the Equinyl products (GL? maybe?) - didn't do squat for the mare, so she's back on MSM

Geez, I'm drawing a big blank here. It's easier to go through the likes because I can just think about what is in my tack trunk, but I've gone through so much stuff that I don't like, I don't buy it and then I don't think about it anymore.

All I want for my birthday is a COTH khaki hat. Or for mine to come home. That would work too.

GirlLikeThat
Jun. 9, 2002, 05:43 PM
Some things I use daily:
- Orvus Shampoo...faily cheap for the amount you get and I swear you dont run out...I have been on the same jar for like 2 years and MANY horses!

- Quic Silver...it just plain works on greys

- Healthy Hair Care Conditioner...great for everyday on the coat...leaves it shiny and healthy!

-Canter Silk Mane & Tail Conditioner...gets out tangles like ShowSheen without the sticky plastic feeling for a healthy tail

- Tuffin Up/Tuff Stuff...put only on the bottem of the hoof and the sole...strengthens for less cracks etc.

-Corona/Coruncresin around the coronary band for good hoof growth

-Stress Dex...electrolyte supplement that is cheap, works, and tastes great /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Furall...great for cuts

-For that terrible thrush and an overnight cure mix sugar and betadine and spread generously in hoof. Wrap with vetwrap and cotton and your thrush will be gone by morning!

-QuicClean...last minute stains on a grey solved!

-Listerine for that itchy tail

-SkinSoSoft and water for a fly spray...its hard to find at supermarkets now but it works as well if not better then tack shop fly sprays and is cheaper!

-Vetrolin/Alcohol/Water as a spray on liniment

-------------------------
-Erin-
"Im so terrified of no one else but me
Im here all the time
I wont go away..."
(Matchbox 20, Long Day)

UndeniedGirl
Jun. 9, 2002, 06:12 PM
GirlLikeThat -- I love mb20! GirlLikeThat is actually my SN somewhere else /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
~Cass

"Dont let your schooling interfere with your education" -- Mark Twain

TB4me2000
Jun. 10, 2002, 02:19 PM
*Cowboy Magic ANYTHING...expensive, but it works!
*Riovista Ravishing Red Shampoo
*Biotin Hoof Supplement
*The big glycerin soap bars for cleaning and Lexol's Restorer and Conditioner for conditioning
*Weatherbeeta Winter Blankets
*Big D Sheets...we had one for five years, unfortunatly, it got left at the tack store and they kind of took it since it had been there to long /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
*Pepi Spray ::mmmmmm::
*Repel X...sorry, but it works on Lexi!
*Johnson's Baby Shampoo for faces
*Baby Powder for socks

Dislikes:
*Nature's Defense...yeah, defending the flies...
*Ummm...forgot the name, but its the dry-shampoo in the big black bottle...so gross! leaves a filmy, sticky layer all over...::eww::
*Pull-on bellboots-they'll be the death of us all! Bell boots in general are pretty annoying though, you either have to pull or tape or continue buying every week or so...

Ummm, thats all I can think of right now...

Britt

J. Turner
Jul. 16, 2002, 09:51 AM
Skin so Soft in the fly spray. Really helps with the sand gnats in the south. I think it really softens the coat, too.
Raised reins -- think they're so purty.
Rambos -- last forever
Dover's Rambo knockoff -- pretty darn good, too
Wool/fleece half pad -- after the gel pad craze, we go back to good ol' natural products
Perfectly wrapped polos -- in conservative colors, of course
Shirts with spandex -- hate armpit wedgies
Tank tops with built in bras
Tailored Sportsman -- the cut more than the color
Charles Owen -- a pretty approved that's comfy and fits
Dover's Italian bell boot knock offs -- easy on/off and cheap
Fans
Blundstones
Any detangler that works
Finally having my own clippers

HATES:
cheap leather - anywhere, anytime
Fly spray -- why do we go through the motions? See above though for SSSoft.
Wearing wool jackets in the summer
Ariats

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
-- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
*** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
*** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***

Pixie Dust
Jul. 16, 2002, 10:35 AM
I just got some Keratex, hoof hardener about a week ago. It's a pain to apply and the oder smelled strangely familiar....then I remembered. Smells just like formaldehyde!! Like those frogs in biology class.

Thumbs up-
Keratex (after one week already results)
MSM
Strategy
Inexpensive leather girth of good quality- Pauls Harness Shop
Quick Braid
Skin So Soft- no it's not perfect, but it smells nice and his face looks nice when I use it
Rubber pimpled groom mits

What's wrong with Excalibur...works fine for me

Thumbs down-
Professional Choice SMB's They slip and they are hot
Fly spray in general
Fly sprayers in general

Superheroes of the universe, unite! http://www.allmightysenators.com/super.html

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

Foxhunt4me
Jul. 16, 2002, 11:37 AM
Thumbs up-
------------

Dehner Boots

ACE - better riding through chemicals

Calm and Cool Paste - if you dont like chemicals ( use a bit more than they say , and a few hours in advance )

Hooflex for hooves

Venice Turpentine for hardning hooves

Corona for hooves or chafing

DMSO

Glucosamine ( Grand Flex )

Vitamins with Probiotics ( Grand - Vitae )

Beet Pulp for weight gain

Corn Oil for weight gain

Purina brand horse treats - available in 50 lb bags.

Electro Dex electrolytes

Absorbine

Shampoo - they all work but why bathe an animal that rolls in the dirt after you wash it?

SMB's work if you know how to put them on

Fly Spray > Get Repel XP, buy Permethrin CONCENTRATE oil from the farm store, make a batch with both diluted to the appropriate full strength. Repels / kills everything but the cattle flies - will repel them for a while. If you want it really strong add some oil based cattle spray too - but watch out it can burn their skin.

Zinc Oxide Ointment

Bell Boots ( Bar - F )

Davis boot for soaking abcesses

Thousand Mile Horse brand Open Wound Salve yeah its new age kinda / herbal but this one actually works.

Thumbs down-
-------------

Cheap leather tack
Myler bits
MSM
Chiropractic
Acupuncture
Homeopathic remedies
Magnets
Lasers
4 point trim on feet
Kentucky Breeches
Cider Vinegar fly spray
Skin so soft

Thanx

wendy
Jul. 16, 2002, 11:37 AM
I'm having amazing success keeping every kind of bug off my horse with a once-every-two weeks application of that spot-on stuff plus an every-other-day misting of a mixture of diluted kids' OFF and citronella oil. Only regimen I've ever seen that keeps em off for more than fifteen minutes. Every other bug repellant is worthless. Especially Gnat-away, which apparently works by attracting all the gnats to the treated horse, thus protecting all the other, un-treated horses.

Grooma curry combs-- the best. Grooma mane-tamer thingy: yuck. I've produced nicer looking manes with a pair of thinning shears

Anything made by Kerrits or Mountain Horse is wonderful. Tuff Rider breeches are great as well. Ariat paddock boots suck. Anything made by Devon-air will fall apart on the drive to the barn the first time you wear it.

elnachick
Jul. 16, 2002, 12:12 PM
too fun! it's great that the very thing on one person's "love it" list, is on another person's "hate it" list /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My likes:
duct tape, baling twine, and double ended snaps
excalibur
glycerin saddle soap and lexol
vetrap (not the knock offs)
polar fleece coolers, they work great
weather beeta horse clothing, esp. the old school turnout
tea tree oil, citronella oil, and peppermint oil for various things
vetrolin shine for tails
bigeloil and/or vetrolin
good old murphy's oil soap for tack
grooma curries, especially the soft one
witch hazel
round cotton leadropes of ample length with a knot tied in the end
nevr-dull metal polish
the old-fashioned crocheted (sp?) ear nets - the ones that have fabric covered "ears" and a little croched bonned with fringes

dislikes:
super ultra lasts two weeks fly sprays.
bungee crossties - hate those things!
nylon lead ropes
lead ropes that don't have knots at the ends!
rambo blankets. I have always found them to be a bunchy pain in the neck to deal with (being the gal who had to put them on someone else's boarded horse, etc.)
those "Thermalux" blankets that were so popular about 6-8 years ago - horrific fitting and total shavings magnets
furacin. Once you stick your finger in the jar, the whole lot is contaminated, it always drives me nuts to see someone taking a glop out of a tub of furacin (with hair and dirt in it...) to put on a fresh wound. Plus it melts and generally gets gross.
Farrier's Formula. I swear, you can tell by the smell in the stall that a horse is on this stuff, I just hate the smell and I've never known anyone to comment that it made a big difference (I like other products better)
those farnum mesh fly bonnet things with elastic edges, that when the horse rolls end up with dirt crusted exactly over their eyes, that shift and cause rubs near eyes, etc. They work for some but I've never had luck.
peace,
jen

[This message was edited by elnachick on Jul. 16, 2002 at 04:17 PM.]

twotempi
Jul. 16, 2002, 02:45 PM
vetrolin - wonder of all wonders, and it smells SO good!

tea tree hoof oil (with green label) - great for white / striped hooves.

Listerine - the best bit/spur/metal wash, takes out stains, disinfects...

Loreal Kids Tangle Tamer - non-drying and smells wonderful (pear scent especially)

epona bar in a jar saddle soap - puts a great,longlasting luster on tack.

Sore No More - works better than prescription muscle relaxant on my back spasms!

Absorbine Superpoo shampoo - smells nice, cleans well, leaves coats really shiny.

First Ice ice boots - better than ice cells, mold to leg and stay cold forever.

ahf
Jul. 16, 2002, 03:58 PM
I can't believe I'm the only one here who uses Bite-Free (the expensive stuff in the red bottle)?! It really has worked better than anything else for me.

Clac86 worked for me the first year, after that they must have changed the formula because it ceased to be effective.

I'm glad to hear that Novalsan ointment is back and improved. I didn't like it before because it mutated fairly quickly on the shelf into something other than ointment. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

incentive
Jul. 16, 2002, 07:55 PM
The apple cider vinegar does seem to be helping with the flies. I've had no problem with them eating just a couple of handfuls of grain with 1/4 cup 2x a day. SWAT works fairly well on their noses and doesn't dilute like regular fly spray. After 2 weeks on the vinegar, I'll be brave and try turn out without fly spray and see what happens. Murphy's oil soap, right off the shelf in the house cleaning product aisle works great on tack. Triple Crown Chopped Forage has been very well recieved by the elderly horses in the barn. All the others want it too!

piaffeprincess98
Jul. 17, 2002, 07:45 AM
Good products-

Eqyss anything, espcially the Avocado mist! It's kinda expensive though at $17 /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Weetherbeeta blankets/sheets are great, very good quality.

Riovista color enhancing shampoo works good.

As always, show sheen is my friend! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Fiebing's Hoof dressing drys quicker than others so it doesn't come off as bad.

Quick and easy grroming block works on Toppers for his weird skin problems.

Absorbine Supershield green is expensive, but it smells good and works.

Spot On fly treatment worked well for us. I did notice a difference.

Bad things-

I agree, Repel X didn't do much.

Tough stuff kind of dries out the hoof.

~*Lindsay*~
A proud co-owner of CorLin PROductions, specializing in dressage, eventing, and hunter/jumper digital photography.

~*Co-founder of the COTH Photographer's clique*~

eventer_mi
Jul. 17, 2002, 07:57 AM
I'll chime in here...

"Obstacles are those frightening things we see when we take our eyes off our goals." - Anon

eventer_mi
Jul. 17, 2002, 08:10 AM
I'll chime in here...

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif to:
Rambo and Bucas sheets/blankets. Destructo-pony wasn't able to do any permanent damage to these.

Rubber reins - the English kind. I love the secure way they feel.

Mountain Horse anything, especially their breeches/boots. Great fit for those of us built like a boy - practically indestructible.

Hay ball. I'm hay-net impaired - can't stuff one of those things to save my life. The hay ball is so easy to stuff, and if a horse gets a foot caught (hasn't happened yet), they're not dangerous.

My trailer hitch mirror. Can't remember what it's called, but it's a mirror that hangs over your truck bed to help you align your hitch and ball. Saved me countless hours of frustration trying to hitch up.

Dover canvas half-chaps. Love them. Can't wear them out, and at that price, it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg if they do wear out.

Keratex. Pricey, but for my TBs thin, shelly feet, worked wonders if you were religious about using it.

David med boot. Great for soaking abscesses, etc.

Those coiled hose thingies that wrap around your horse's legs so you can soak without having to hold on to a hose. Great invention! You'd have to pry mine from my cold, dead fingers.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif to:
Absorbine Green fly spray. Smells like soap, feels like soap, flys don't even notice it's on.

Sports Med boots - I'll add to that one! Ick. Collects so much sand, burrs, etc...

Ariat half-chaps. Elastic broke the second week I had them. Too cheap for the money you pay.

Easy-boots. As my former farrier said, Easy-boots are for horses with perfectly shaped feet - and horses with those kind of feet don't need 'em! Can't put them on, can't keep them on. Ugh.

Neumann's Tackified gloves. Hate them - hate that sticky feeling that just won't go away after you take the gloves off. Ick.

"Obstacles are those frightening things we see when we take our eyes off our goals." - Anon

M.K.Smith
Nov. 2, 2002, 11:01 PM
Love:

I recently discovered Cowboy Magic detangler. It's worked great to take out burrs and tangles.

Don't waste your money:

Flat hose...A friend had purchased some from a local sale barn and it broke on his first use of it. We assumed that the reason his broke was because you can't anything from the sale barn. So, we thought we'd get some from Home Depot (I expect Home Depot to carry high quality--after this experience I know longer hold that expectation). The stuff broke the second time I used it (it cost about $20 a section...not exactly cheap)...I also ended up getting soaked in 30 degree weather. Nothing like not being able to feel your fingers and knowing that there are still more barn chores to do before you can leave.

I was so mad that I almost took it back to Home Depot and threw it on their counter with me dripping wet and muddy with gross boots and hay on my polar fleece...however, it was on my fiance's credit card. We returned it and they gave him his money back...his comment as he handed the garbage bag to the clerk was "This stuff is crap." That pretty much sums it up.

Now it's back to the drawing board...our neighbors are allowing us to use their water (we don't have a well yet) and we were looking for an easy to drain and easy to deal with way to use about 300 feet (I think) of hose. My fiance is a fire fighter, so we may try to use some fire hose.

MKB...

carribean
Nov. 3, 2002, 09:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Judy A:
Most off you will turn your noses up at this but it works----1 gal of kerosene---add a little water, not much + a dab of breath o' pine.

Instead of show sheen----Pledge or other furniture spray.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHOA!!!!!! KEROSENE AS in the stuff used as a LIGHTER FLUID? And PLEDGE as in the WOOD CLEANER? Never heard of those before, but you sure are brave! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

**anna**
*~Proud Founder of the H/J Paints Clique~*

DMK
Nov. 3, 2002, 10:05 AM
mkbrown - at our last barn we had to run hoses for what seemed like miles (no water at the far paddocks). We ran the hose along the fence line and buried it under the leaves - eventually grass grew over it and provided a very minimal insulation. Since the hose was never moved/stepped on or otherwise messed with, we never had to replace or repair it, and it was not an expensive hose (hoses, actually). Then we put those quick snap on/off hose connections AND a on/off valve at all the hose ends. This way you could turn on the hose once and connect/disconnect to the 3 or so differnt connections necessary to water all paddocks, and you only had to drag around the main hose which was not that long.

The only issue we had to worry about was water freezing in the hose in winter, but fortunately it ran slightly downhill to the barn, so if you left the vavle open, all the excess water would drain out.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

barngirl
Nov. 3, 2002, 11:10 AM
What a great thread...
Things I like:
Showsheen.. super shiny white tail on my dapple/flea bitten gray

Quic Color.. really whitens his white and pops out the black!!!

Ariat boots... the only thing i hated was thier plastic zippers... but they are using metal now... they are so comfy and I have only had trouble when I negelected to clear and care for them

Orvus... goes a long way... cleans in hot or cold water and leaves their coat soft ..a lso great for cleaning sheaths..

Chick's Saddlery's Triple stitched leather halters with chin and crwon adjustments... brass hardware for I think $22.. for $24 you can get a brass name plate added!!! it isn't fancy and they do need to be oiled, but they look great and last. I can't justify spending more than $25 on a halter as they can so easily get broken.

Those cream colored thick straw fiber hard brushes... if your horse is not a muddy monster you can skip the curry brush and goes a long way in that elbow grease shine department.

I love my Schleese saddle and so does my horse!!

I love my myler bits... My horse went from going in a pelham to a No-pinch dee ring and no martigale... he loves it and is soft and happy when working!!

Anything by Buckeye feed company... I love their feeds and their horse treats are cheap and don't make a big messy in my grooming tote. Horses love them.

JOinted stirrups... helps me with my knee and back pain and still healing ankle sprain!!!

the Neck Stretcher.. bungee thingy that encourages a horse to use its backand neck... my horse has a super topline and it really helps him relax his back and use his hind end... way better than draw reins or anything else.

Dislikes
Any saddle with a deep seat!!!
Draw reins
TS's .. I don't mind the color, but I can't stand the fit.. and I can't ride with a seam in my inner thigh or I get horrrible rubs.

Silly Mommy
Nov. 3, 2002, 05:11 PM
Anyway, DMK, your post on the first page had something with DMSO/Dex and add to furacin. I've used DMSO/Furacin for "stingy" feet at a show with hard ground. How/what does the Dex do to help?

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif After one month of using sunnies/flax, I'm actually stunned at the results - thanks Fairweather!

I've found the GlucoFlex powder from Jeffers to be quite effective with my geriatric ward.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Spot-on fly stuff - I have some strong suspicions about some bad side-effects it could cause.

cheap leather reins that could break at the worst possible moment causing you to fall and break your tailbone. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Back to the Show Sheen statement: The guy who does my stalls is a walking beer brewery (that is just a statement to set up this scenario - I'd love to have someone else, but at the moment, he's all I have, and despite the fact that he's pickled, he's punctual, and reliable to be here - I won't let him touch the horses). Anyway, one day I walked into the barn, and a client was grooming her horse. I stopped dead in my tracks at a very distinct odor, and asked her if XXX was here (it was too early). She said no, then I asked what she'd just put on her horse - Show Sheen. Middle of the winter, barn doors closed, I'd been on the wagon for about six months - THAT "stuff" SMELLS LIKE GIN!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

BREATHE!!! Oxygen is a good thing!
Sunnieflax Clique, PITA Clique (even if no one cares that my butt is broken)
"poster formerly known as Silly Mommy"

EventerAJ
Nov. 3, 2002, 06:30 PM
Good stuff:

+another vote for Orvus. It's great and it lasts forever

+QuicBraid. Can't live without it! (not easily, anyway /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

+SMBs. I've used them for 5 years now, never had a problem (XC and SJ)

+Rambos. After spending $150 on blanket repairs one year (weatherbeetas and such) I finally got a Wug. What took me so long? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

+Bobby's English Tack. Excellent price for the quality. Unbelievable thickness, well-finished and not stiff. My black-padded bridle is beautiful, and I love the supple rubber reins. And he makes some of the strongest stirrup leathers I have ever seen! Bobby's English Tack... leather with ATTITUDE! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Buying adventures never to repeat:

-cheap leather tack. You know what I'm referring to

-Miller's stuff has gone downhill recently /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

hmm, there are more, but I need to think... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~AJ~
"Got no excuses for the things that we've done; we were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly young." K.C.