PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck hitch: doesn't want to "let go" of the ball.

deltawave
May. 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
When I unhook my GN trailer the electric winch has to work REALLY hard, hiking the entire truck up before the ball "gives way" and comes loose. It's extremely well lubricated, the coupler "releases" and spreads open just like it should, but it seems like the ball won't let go until the poor winch is just about screaming and sometimes I even have to sit on the tailgate and bounce up and down to get it to pop off.

Suggestions?

oldpony66
May. 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
Will the next-smaller size ball work? I have a bumper pull so please excuse me if GN doesn't work the same way.

Underthebridge
May. 19, 2012, 07:40 PM
Get back in the truck, a slight forward or a slight back, my old truck used to do this, if that does not work there must be something wrong.

deltawave
May. 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
Only one ball size, but moving the truck slightly is a good idea, thanks! :)

lilitiger2
May. 19, 2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah, make sure it is parked level if you can!

Ha! Just told my husband about this and he said, "Has she tried bouncing up and down on the tail gate??":lol:

hosspuller
May. 20, 2012, 12:14 AM
Sounds like the trailer is moving as the jack lifts. Try leaving the truck in neutral with the parking brake off. Place a chock at the truck wheel to keep it from rolling away yet allow some movement.

clanter
May. 20, 2012, 09:03 AM
have you lubricated the hitch and ball?

airhorse
May. 20, 2012, 09:12 AM
Stop on a level area, put the truck in neutral, apply parking brake, shift into park. This will remove any tension on the hitch and prevent the truck from moving after shifting into park.

saje
May. 20, 2012, 09:15 AM
Clanter:

When I unhook my GN trailer the electric winch has to work REALLY hard, hiking the entire truck up before the ball "gives way" and comes loose. It's extremely well lubricated, the coupler "releases" and spreads open just like it should, but it seems like the ball won't let go until the poor winch is just about screaming and sometimes I even have to sit on the tailgate and bounce up and down to get it to pop off.

Suggestions?

SLW
May. 20, 2012, 10:01 AM
Stop on a level area, put the truck in neutral, apply parking brake, shift into park. This will remove any tension on the hitch and prevent the truck from moving after shifting into park.

This. :)