PDA

View Full Version : sound dampening for metal roof....feasible or nuts?

MediaMD
May. 18, 2012, 09:30 AM
Nervous nellie mare HATES HATES HATES T-storms (twirls in stall, would jump out if she could) not only because of thunder, but our metal roofed barn is quite noisy with rain pelting down. And we've had T storms EVERY day this week so it's a top of mind problem right now.

I have wondered about somehow installing insulation but worry that would just trap the heat indoors since the metal roof reflects sunlight but obviously the barn isn't climate controlled. We have fans and open areas under the gables so it stays relatively cool.

Is there a way to sound proof or dampen the noise from the rain? Our other horse just stares at her, shakes his head in disbelief and keeps eating his hay. Because we are trying to keep her from hurting herself and we are already dealing with a recent diagnosis of exertional rhabomylosis which is exacerbated by her frantic behavior, we are willing to put some money into resolving this issue.

Anybody do this? Cost to benefit ratio of different materials, methods? Is this a DIY project?

thanks

Zu Zu
May. 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
Insulation the thin kind `` strategically placed should cut the 'noise'

If your barn has a ridge vent and side venting and fans .. ventilation and that 'shake and bake' 'convection oven' syndrome should not be so stifling ~

draftdriver
May. 18, 2012, 09:54 AM
I have 4" of styrofoam insulation packed between the roof trusses, at the bottom, so there's air circulation above via the roof vents. Cuts the noise somewhat.

Bluey
May. 18, 2012, 11:11 AM
Everyone and their dog today around here uses the spray on insulation, that 2" give more protection than 4" of the old type you put up with chicken wire.

You may want to check into that in your area.

We used that in our well house and it insulated very well, even better than the old well house we have with concrete block with insulation in it.

Mosey_2003
May. 18, 2012, 12:03 PM
In the meantime can you put pompoms in her ears when you're expecting rain?

sk_pacer
May. 18, 2012, 12:55 PM
I agree with Bluey. Here, there are many industries that use steel buildings and they just spray insulation on the roof and it really quiets the racket from rain.

whicker
May. 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Does the spray -on insulation work well in very damp humid hot climates? (Va.) Are there critters that get into it?

I'm getting some run in sheds, and hate the noise of a metal roof. Our main barn is asphalt shingle over wood. It needs regular frequent maintenance. What is the best roof, other than slate or copper?

MediaMD
May. 18, 2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks everybody--am looking into spray on insulation that hubby and I can do ourselves. A bit daunting to the height challenged since ceiling is pretty tall but also checking into having someone help us.

This was also a pretty interesting product-Noxudol referenced on another forum:
--------------------------------
3 coats (dry time between coats 20 min) gallon covers 20 sqft at recommended thickness.
watch this video and you will see the effectiveness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkYrBpARXxw

Might be worth looking into as well.

I hadn't thought about the ear puffs--good idea!

eeyore4176
May. 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
Our house and barn both have metal roofs. The barn just has the styrofoam sheets on everything except the ceiling over the stalls, which is still bare metal since they were added after we bought the place. I think the insulation actually helps to keep the barn cooler in the summer months. If you keep the doors shut, it'll be about 10-15 degrees cooler. We are surrounded by trees too, so the shade also helps keep it cool. Our issue is that a good portion of our trees are walnut and those suckers hitting a metal roof sound like gunfire. The horses don't seem to mind but I still jump occasionally.

Todd miller
May. 20, 2012, 07:39 AM
The insulation ideas are good. I have worked with metal roofing for over 30 years and one creative response to this issue is to add sound-deadening metallic tape to the back side of the panels. Just small pieces will make a huge difference. These tapes are use a lot in the automotive industry.

Also, there is a product out called ant-con which would be applied to the entire back side of the roofing but it helps with sound deadening and also protects against condensation. just fyi, I accept metal roofing questions on my educational site at www.asktoddmiller.com. I am not selling anything through the site ... just helping.

judybigredpony
May. 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
I used the rigid stuff and wedged it between trusses..it was GREAT cut down noise and made barn so much cooler in summer. It was a low ceiling old crappy shed conversion but it worked for many years until we bought 2 more farms.
Only worry I ever had was horses might try to pull it down when being creative (never happened)

Jim_in_PA
May. 21, 2012, 08:52 AM
Professionally applied spray-foam insulation would provide the most dampening; other forms of insulation will provide some level of relieve and sound absorption. Further benefit from all of these is reducing heat swings.

Ridinwyoming
May. 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
My husband and I have identical metal pole barns. He had his spray foamed inside on the roof and sides. Made a huge difference not only in the sound dampening but with high winds as well, plus it keeps the temperatures more even inside. His seems rock solid. Plan on doing the same with mine. :)

Equibrit
May. 22, 2012, 10:33 PM
Ear plugs ?
http://www.horsehealth.co.uk/lemieux/accessories/ear-plugs?zenid=938rbvffe0frrdmp9afc3imtl5