PDA

View Full Version : I think the chickens are trying to Gaslight me

2DogsFarm
May. 17, 2012, 05:13 PM
Last night I went out - as usual - to close up the coop.

The 6 freeranging girls & rooster put themselves to bed on the roosts when it starts getting dark, now around 8P.

One hen is still out, and wandering around my backyard clucking to herself in (I swear) a worried tone.

Inside the coop are 4 hens & rooster on the roosts and.....
(wait for it)

my favorite - the goofy-looking Houdan hen - HANGING UPSIDE DOWN FROM ONE FOOT IN THE HANGING FEEDER!!!! :eek:
:( She is not moving at all.

OK, 2DOGS, I tell myself, either the rooster killed her (she is NOT his fave) or she hung herself somehow, but either way, she is D-A-I-D :cry:
I go to take down her pitiful body and
She moves!
She Lives!!!
Somehow she had caught one claw in the baling twine (what else?) that supports the feeder and could not get herself free.

A little disoriented from all the blood rushing to her teeny head, a little stiff in the leg that was supporting her 5# froofy body, but otherwise okay.
I rechecked at 9P and she was on the roost - apart from the others, but normal.
This morning you'd never know anything happened.

Oh - and I had to chase the "worried" hen into the coop - like she didn't want to cross that invisible Police Tape marking the scene of the crime.

Are they trying to make me crazy(er)?

RacetrackReject
May. 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Oh no! That's no good, but at least she's ok now.

I once noticed the flock was acting weird when I went to shut the chicken pen up. I heard a chicken making an odd sort of cooing noise, but couldn't find the chicken. Finally my helper and I are standing at the outside of the wall to the stables and we kept saying "It sounds like it's right here". Well, when we looked up we had not one, but two hens who had jambed themselves in the corner where the roof met the wall and they could not get themselves out. We brought them down and they hobbled a bit. One kept falling over, so I held her at the waterer while she drank what seemed like a gallon of water, then I put her in a nest to rest. The next morning all was ok, but that night another hen was trapped in the same place. I had to board up that outside section of the wall. I'm not even sure how or why they were up there, it's over 12' high and they cant' walk up to it.

2DogsFarm
May. 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
12' UP?
:confused:

And no teeny chicken-sized ladder laying in the dust?
That must have been the Test Flight from Hell :lol:
Maybe they all piled on top of each other like Chinese acrobats then left the last 2 stranded?
Allez Oop!

Calvincrowe
May. 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
:lol::lol: Oh, I needed a laugh, and 2Dogs--that image will be forever stuck in my head now--I imagine the pill bugs from "Bug's Life" flinging chickens up in the air!

Hens can be so, so stupid can't they? It's like the wake up in the morning asking themselves, "hmm, how can we kill ourselves today?". I was mowing my girl's pasture last night, and all the hens came running out when the gate opened to see what was happening, and then proceeded to run ahead of the tractor like in a cartoon--never thinking to run sideways, away from the mower. Sigh.

2DogsFarm
May. 17, 2012, 05:52 PM
:lol::lol: Oh, I needed a laugh, and 2Dogs--that image will be forever stuck in my head now--I imagine the pill bugs from "Bug's Life" flinging chickens up in the air!

:cool: Glad to oblige.
My flock runs in front of the mower too.
Some day I'm going to spew feathers from the mulcher, I just know it :mad:

Oooh!
I didn't see Bugs' Life - now I'll have to add that title to my Redbox List.
If you haven't seen Nick Park's claymation Chicken Run DO rent that!

danceronice
May. 17, 2012, 08:31 PM
One reason she looked dead is probably that hanging or carrying them upside down makes it very hard for them to breathe. It's a good thing you found her. She probably got tangled up and then 'passed out.'

That or you interrupted some really weird form of chicken justice.

Carolinadreamin'
May. 17, 2012, 08:46 PM
One reason she looked dead is probably that hanging or carrying them upside down makes it very hard for them to breathe. It's a good thing you found her. She probably got tangled up and then 'passed out.'

Bwahahah!

OP, I am glad your hen is ok. I'm sure it was scary finding her like that.

MunchingonHay
May. 17, 2012, 08:57 PM

I dont know why this is SO FREAKING FUNNY:lol::lol: I laughed so hard my dog got upset

2DogsFarm
May. 18, 2012, 06:52 AM
:lol::lol::lol: "Weird chicken justice"
Oh lord, if I'd had a beverage I woulda spewed :lol:

Honestly with this hen it could have been suicide - she is that flaky.

danceronice - I know!
That's the first thought that popped into my head too and the last was "what if I'd checked on them 20min later?"

I hate watching people carry chickens upside down - yes it makes them quiet...
Because they cannot breathe! :mad:

classicsporthorses
May. 18, 2012, 07:30 AM
OK I don't even have chickens and I was laughing out loud at these posts.

We did have the errant hen show up to our place a few weeks ago-none and I mean none of our immediate neighbors have chickens so this lady must have walked some distance. Sadly my dog "caught" her and carried her a bit too hard to show me what 'pest' she had rid our farm of.

I hope to get some chickens and work with the dog. Knowing my luck I'd get the chickens who are more on the flaky side. It always seems we get the dented animals here. Makes for a lot of fun though.

Thanks for making me laugh!

2DogsFarm
May. 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
classicsh:
:lol: "dented animals"

Oh DO come to the Dark & Feathered Side!
& Do not be surprised if your dog says "Yes Ma'am!" to your chickens.

My barncat - AKA The Verminator - who has taken down bunnies near her size, wandered up to the henhouse when my girls were a mere 9 weeks old, took one look and has not been back since.
Apparently talking chickensmack intimidates some predators.

JB
May. 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
2dogs - :eek: oh my!

classic, I came to the dark side, you should too!! I mean, how can you resist this Cochin roo (http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2db39b3127ccef070a89232b800000030O00AZtmzRs2ct2 IPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/) and this Easter Egg with "ear wings" (http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a2db39b3127ccef071408e129c00000030O00AZtmzRs2ct2 IPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/) lmao!

ChocoMare
May. 18, 2012, 01:41 PM
Oh this is funny! :lol: Especially the Allez Oop reference. Bwahahaha a;)

Chicken Run trailer, for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVdlxwX6A7g :D

2DogsFarm
May. 18, 2012, 03:20 PM
O
M
G
:lol:
Chocomare - I had forgotten just how crazyfunny Chicken Run was!

Not sure I want to see it again now that I actually have chickens - perhaps too close to home?

ChocoMare
May. 18, 2012, 03:21 PM
I actually find it much funnier now that I know chickens! :lol:

2DogsFarm
May. 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
Ha!
I wish my rooster were a little more Mel Gibson and a little less Sid Vicious :no:

Baby I was born to Lose!!!

More like born to be Coq au Vin :mad:

JB
May. 18, 2012, 03:37 PM
Chicken Run WAS funny, and would be funnier now that we have chickens! :lol:

ArabDiva
May. 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
dented animals

ok, I wasn't going to reply to this one, but 'dented animals' made me totally bust out laughing.

I have a barn cat who either jumped out of the hayloft or got stepped on by a horse, and ever since then, has had a gimpy front leg. The little critter gets hisself in crazy fixes all of the time, I swear he has used 18 lives, but he still survives while his brothers are long gone. He even catches mice for me!

OP, I'm glad you found your upside-down chicken and put her right-side-up. I'm going to go hug my chickens now.

airhorse
May. 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
Last year I was walking out to the barn and caught a ripple in the water trough out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough, a nearly dead chicken was floating in there. I pulled it out and it would spasm every 15 seconds or so, but otherwise was pretty lifeless. It was not very warm out yet and I'm sure she was about to die of hypothermia. I dry her off and blow dry her with a heat gun, the wife sets up a pile of shavings and a heat lamp in one of the stalls. I put a web cam on her and hope for the best. About 6 hours later, she was perking up, and by morning was very upset with us for separating her from the flock.