View Full Version : How can I get rid of pigeons?

May. 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
We have a covered arena that is wonderful for schooling horses when it is raining or hot. Unfortunately the pigeons love the arena too, and like to nest in the corners and generally cause problems through destroying insulation and defecating everywhere. Has anyone else dealt with pigeons in a similar situation? How did you get rid of them?

May. 17, 2012, 09:08 PM
A pr decided to move into my indoor arena come summer when I have all the doors open. The only way I was able to get rid of them was to shoot them. Well, I didn't shoot them but had them shot.

Pigeons are the rats of the bird world just as sparrows are the mice of the bird world simply because they move in, make a mess and chase other birds away. I had a pr of barn swallows build a nest last wk in my barn but they haven't been back for 2 days now. I'm pretty sure that sparrows have chased them away. :(

May. 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
Get a pellet gun and start having target practice at the pigeons.

May. 17, 2012, 10:15 PM
Shoot'em.......it's the only way to get rid of rats with wings.

Twisted River
May. 17, 2012, 10:29 PM
Shoot em. Or, if you could find one this would be REALLY cool (not positive it it would work though)... Find a Raptor club and see if they'll come out and fly their birds in your arena. I bet that would scare away the pigeons and would be incredibly neat to watch!

May. 20, 2012, 07:59 PM
Pellet gun, red-tailed hawk, and a Craigslist pigeon trapper teamed up to eliminate my pigeon problem.

But now the grackles have taken over... :sigh:

May. 20, 2012, 08:58 PM
Shoot em. Or, if you could find one this would be REALLY cool (not positive it it would work though)... Find a Raptor club and see if they'll come out and fly their birds in your arena. I bet that would scare away the pigeons and would be incredibly neat to watch!

Raptor club?

May. 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
But now the grackles have taken over... :sigh:

Shoot'em and knock down the nests before the eggs hatch AND check proper song bird nests as grackles will let other birds raise their nasty offspring.

May. 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
The only sure-fire way to get rid of them is to remove all places to build nests or perch. It's a huge PITA and can be expensive, but sealing off the entire underside of the roof with fine mesh denies birds a place to build nests and congregate, which tends to make them move on to a more hospitable location.

Shooting the offenders (as long as you're using something that won't make holes in the roof...) is cheaper, but takes a lot of time and never really ends.

May. 21, 2012, 11:34 PM
You can also call your local Pointer/Setter club..They use pigeons to train young dogs on as they are stronger flyers and the pups are less likely to catch them. They go on excursions to trap and catch them, and they are pretty good at it. If you have too many people riding in the arena to shoot at them, this may be a good alternative for you.

May. 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
Pellet/BB gun is your friend in this case.

An experienced person can safely shoot them inside the barn with out doing any damage to the barn.

May. 22, 2012, 09:54 AM
One of my barn cats has a unique talent. He likes to walk on the barn rafters. I don't have any birds in the barn as a result.

It is a little odd to look up there and see him, but the horses are used to it. He is the only barn cat I have that behaves this way.

May. 22, 2012, 10:07 AM
if you can get somewhat close to where they are.. alka seltzer broken in to pieces and wrapped up in white bread to make little balls. may sound odd but it works!!

May. 22, 2012, 06:05 PM
We had some show up at our barn at first they were all white. Then more friends came, and all colors. They will keep coming back, even their babies. They have a location in their brains, and once they make a place their home, only way to get rid of them is murder. Or, all their offspring, and their offspring and so on will imprint on the location, and the location "lore" is passed on and on and on.

I read a bunch of stuff on how to rid this barn invader.

I did see a documentary on ridding these things from a particular area. They gave birth control to them on a timed feeding station. Thus no babies, which over time the adult birds just died a natural death. Thus numbers over the years decreased. It is kinda like the cat colonies, and the catch spay/neuter release program.

I chased ours with the lunge whip, but over time, the bb gun was the best. Ours was not the best bb gun, had to shoot boxes of bb's and they had to be in the barn to do the deed since we had a cheap bb gun and shooting outside AT the barn, doubt we could hit it. Had the dogs chase them, me chase them, didn't work. They would fly away, then come back in a little while or day later when they thought it was safe.

I liken pigeons to face book. First they send you a friend request. You accept, by doing nothing about their presence. Do not be fooled, they are checking out your pictures, and all kinds of stuff on your wall. Then they "like" you on face book as a great place to settle down, and have a family, then more will follow you, and like your face book page, and your barn or arena, the word gets out, and then the more friends request you and you can't do anything about it (it is the pigeon virus which takes over your face book page, logon id and password, and starts sending friend requests to everybody within cooing distance) and you accept them as friends, they will also in turn tell their friends, and then you will have them have pooping and having families in your barn forever, flapping their wings and scaring the horses. It is hard to unfriend them, but bb guns are the best way to unfriend them.

Unfriend them now! Ka-pow!