View Full Version : ? on adding points to cutaway jacket, legal?

May. 17, 2012, 01:29 PM
I recently found an awesome deal on a cavallo cut away jacket http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo/process/locale/en_US/page/2060221.html , always wanted one but since I had a perfectly good coat couldnt justify spending the money to get one. Found one off ebay for fraction of price. My question is can you add vest points to these coats, like the points of shadbelly? Is it legal for the dressage ring? I think it would look smashing and since I doubt I will ever get to wear an actual tail coat this might be as close as I get, lol! Unless the baby that's coming is uber talented. :lol:

May. 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
The points are meant to simulate the look of a vest under the shadbelly, so if wearing a vest under the jacket would be OK, I would think that points should be OK.

May. 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Hum...not sure.

Shadbellies are not allowed at 4th level and under.
So simulating one and adding points...not sure if it will be allowed. And I don't really understand what would be the point in doing so really.

I would save my money for more lessons! :)

May. 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
The reason I was thinking of adding some points would be to add a little fabric to the front, not all of us are size two stick figures. After having my daughter I have a slight pooch and was thinking the points might help cover up some. And as far as lessons go, its not the rider that is lacking its the riders pocket book! If I had 10's of thousands of dollars to buy me a horse with that kind of talent I'd be there already but when all you have is OTTbs your chances of riding psg are slimmer than those that can buy quality and it doesnt matter how many lessons you take if the horse aint got it you can't force it. :no:

May. 17, 2012, 03:38 PM
The rules say

DR120 Dress.
1. The dress code for Training through Fourth Levels is a short riding coat of conservative color,
with tie, choker or stock tie, white or light-colored breeches or jodhpurs, boots or jodhpur boots,
and protective headgear as defined in DR120.5 and in compliance with GR801. A cutaway coat
(modified tailcoat) with short tails is permitted.

So it IS legal.

The rules don't say ANYTHING about vests or points, with ANY kind of coat. So since they appear to be legal for a real tailcoat, I would be inclined to think they are legal for a "modified tailcoat".

But call USEF, or check with a Dressage TD.

May. 17, 2012, 04:10 PM
Janet thanks so much for that answer!!!

May. 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
It's legal, yes.

However. I would warn you that those cutaway coats aren't flattering on anyone but the stick-thin, from what I've seen. They haven't been all that popular either - I've seen maybe a handful in the 5 or so years since they've made that style.

May. 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
What Kadenz said. I'd wait for another too-good-to-pass-up deal on a more traditional jacket. There's a reason this one is for sale, lol!

May. 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
I agree. I know two people who bought them when they originally came out, and neither wore them more than once or twice. They just aren't flattering. I've only seen one around this year, and it was on someone who was definitely around a size zero.

May. 17, 2012, 08:53 PM
If you have a poochy tummy (and at a certain age, many of us do!), the traditional frock coat is your bestest friend.

May. 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers, I actually already have the coat, was such an awesome deal that I felt it was worth the risk of not liking it. When I put the coat on and stand in front of the mirror it is actually the most flattering coat I have ever put on, suprisingly! Looks way better than my pikeur. The cut just seems to work on me and believe me when I say I am my worst critic about clothes! I think the vest points would just add a little something to the coat, plus I only show locally nothing rated, so gonna give it a try, well come winter anyways.

May. 28, 2012, 07:10 PM
I found one also on Ebay, but it was a Grand Prix version of that coat. I had to have it. I got it really reasonably, I couldn't refuse it....but my reason for getting it was because I figured if I ever got brave enough to ride dressage aside, I would have a dressage style coat. I do have correct side saddle habits, but I have seen this coat before and thought it would look great with an apron....and a vest (or points). besides I loved the way it looked on me....and nope, not a "2" either. :) and I am short :)

Jun. 1, 2012, 06:58 PM
So from the eventing side of the world-I have only seen two of these at shows ever. I can't say it's my favorite look, but the first one really took me by surprise since I had never seen one. Are they pretty common in the straight dressage world?

Jun. 1, 2012, 07:41 PM
They're not common in my experience. I've seen two or three.

Jun. 1, 2012, 07:41 PM
Life is short. It's a crime of fashion only, and will generally be indulged at the lower levels. If it floats your boat just do it.

Far worse is the notion that riding OTTBs won't get you to PSG... put in enough hard work, bring one of them up to 3rd level, sell on and buy/lease something better if necessary. It's how most of us advanced.