PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Is Enduring The Cicada Serenade?

Frank B
May. 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
They emerged here in Sullivan County, Tennessee about a week ago and are naturally creating quite a racket. None of the brood maps I've found so far predict a 2012 emergence for this area, although certain parts of Virginia and West Virginia well to the North and West of us are due for a 17 year emergence.

lilitiger2
May. 17, 2012, 09:43 AM
none out here in MT but had to post this song for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYzz_FhMmpI

called ciccada serenade.....:)

Sonesta
May. 17, 2012, 09:44 AM
Oh, I guess I'm weird, but I love it. It takes me back to my lazy childhood summers at my grandfather's cattle ranch. It's a peaceful sound to me.

Frank B
May. 17, 2012, 10:56 AM
none out here in MT but had to post this song for you

:lol:, even though it's more irritating to listen to than the Cicadas!

Oh, I guess I'm weird, but I love it. It takes me back to my lazy childhood summers at my grandfather's cattle ranch. It's a peaceful sound to me.
You're probably referring to the Tibicen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibicen) , AKA the "jar fly" or "dog day" Cicadas. Their intermittent ascending chrrr-chrrr-chrrr call during the heat of August is not at all annoying. I enjoy lying in the hammock with a cold one and dozing off to it.

The ones we have right now are the Magicicada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magicicada), or 17-year variety, and set up a loud, monotonous, high-pitched drone or whine that goes from dawn to dusk and becomes bothersome very quickly. Check out the link. They are interesting critters.

Sonesta
May. 17, 2012, 11:13 AM
Ah, didn't know there was more than one kind!

Maybe you can record their drone and post a .wav file

Mosey_2003
May. 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
I love the "dog day" Cicadas... Brings back memories :)

Frank B
May. 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
...Maybe you can record their drone and post a .wav file
Do a search on "cicadas". Some of the results should have professionally recorded clips.

ChocoMare
May. 17, 2012, 11:32 AM
During the big-hatch & sing years, it can be deafening.

But just think about it... cicadas have a great life. They sleep for years, hatch, sing, have sex and die. Perfect! :lol:

jawa
May. 17, 2012, 11:40 AM
Sometime in the 90's central VA had a huge hatching of the 17 year cicadas. I was remarking to my elderly riding instructor about how annoying the constant noise was and asking how he dealt with it being outside all day. He said "What?". I thought he was being funny, so I answered back LOUDER the same questions. He held up his finger signaling me to hang on for a minute and turned on his hearing aid. I repeated myself in a normal volume and he laughed and said "I just turn my hearing aid off and I can't hear 'em."

gothedistance
May. 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
Love their singing, but when they sit in a branch over your head while you are relaxing in the shade reading a book....well, that sound is worse than standing next to a shrill 747 warming up! It is truly ear ringing to the point of pain!

So VA is supposed to be coming up on our 17 year cycle of those noisy insects, huh? Haven't heard any yet, but guess I better stock up on the soft foam ear plugs soon....

Lil'E Rox Farm
May. 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'm so glad I was lurking around today. I'm from CT and one of the Adult Leaders in my son's Boy Scout Troop is Dr/Professor that has studied and researches these and yes tracks them every year all over the World. I showed him this thread and he responded with this.

If you can respond on this thread, send them to www.magicicada.org. The TN emergences are totally unexpected, and I'm trying to figure out what they are. I'm particularly looking for information about emergences in 2008 and 1995, as well as ones this year!

Please feel free to check it out.:)

Tamara in TN
May. 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
none here yet

Tamara

ReSomething
May. 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
In 2008 we had the XIII brood here. It was huge and noisy and we lost a few distal limbs on the trees. I'm not sure I'm ready to welcome them back!

Frank B
May. 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
Information regarding the emergence has been e-mailed to the contact address listed in the magicicada.org website.

If you'd start another thread with the request in the title, you could probably get more information. The mods would surely let it stay around "purely in the interest of science" don'cha know. :D

Frank B
May. 17, 2012, 03:45 PM
Love their singing, but when they sit in a branch over your head while you are relaxing in the shade reading a book....well, that sound is worse than standing next to a shrill 747 warming up! It is truly ear ringing to the point of pain...

From Wikipedia:

Some cicadas produce sounds up to 120 dB (SPL) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound#Sound_pressure_level),[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada#cite_note-5050.co.za-11) among the loudest of all insect-produced sounds.[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada#cite_note-12) This is especially notable as their song is technically loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_loss) in humans, should the cicada sing just outside the listener's ear.

Jet aircraft at at takeoff generally range from 100 dB for the new noise abatement fanjets to 140 dB for fighter aircraft.

carp
May. 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
I have a definite gap in my education when it comes to acoustical engineering. If a single cicada can hit 120 decibels, what's the noise level of a bunch of cicadas sitting on the same branch? I know the decibel scale is algorithmic: two cicadas singing a duet does not result in a noise level of 240 decibels. Additionally, the sound waves have the potential to interfere and cancel each other out. So, how loud is a branch of cicadas singing together?

Opus1
May. 17, 2012, 06:14 PM
Huh. I know it's the yearly varieties, but here in South Georgia, it seems like we have them from about now until ... Sept? October? It's daily and it's a nice reminder of 'Crap. Summer's really here.' :D

Frank B
May. 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
I have a definite gap in my education when it comes to acoustical engineering. If a single cicada can hit 120 decibels, what's the noise level of a bunch of cicadas sitting on the same branch? I know the decibel scale is algorithmic: two cicadas singing a duet does not result in a noise level of 240 decibels. Additionally, the sound waves have the potential to interfere and cancel each other out. So, how loud is a branch of cicadas singing together?
It's complicated. :lol: Doubling the sound level results in an increase of 3 dB. But sound level falls off as the reciprocal of distance, and since two Cicadas can't occupy the same place at the same time, unless they're numping and finging* -- and besides, only male Cicadas chirp, so unless they're gay and like to brag about it while they're... well, you get the idea.

*(Do Cicadas nump and fing?) :confused:

oliverreed
May. 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
It's complicated. :lol: Doubling the sound level results in an increase of 3 dB. But sound level falls off as the reciprocal of distance, and since two Cicadas can't occupy the same place at the same time, unless they're numping and finging* -- and besides, only male Cicadas chirp, so unless they're gay and like to brag about it while they're... well, you get the idea.

*(Do Cicadas nump and fing?) :confused:

:lol::lol::lol:

RobinL
May. 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
Wed. I heard them in the woods behind the farm where I keep my boys. The lady that owns the farm thought it was some kind of machinery running :) We're in the Shenandoah Valley, VA.

Blume Farm
May. 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
We had them here last year in central NC. It sounded like a horror movie! At first I thought it was noise from road construction in town but then i realized the sound was conitnuing even after all the equipment was parked for the night. It was a constant buzzing in the air....could drive a sane person mad!

Then there were all their little carcasses everywhere! Gross!

Glad i don't have to go through that for another 13 years.

Lil'E Rox Farm
May. 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
Thank you so much Frank B I saw Dr. Cooley who you responded to form the website http://www.magicicada.org today and he said the information coming in from "my horse people" is terrific. Made me giggle that I had "horse people"! Thank you for the idea of the request in a new thread.

Guin
May. 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
None here in Massachusetts yet. I like their singing.

Eight years ago, there was a massive hatch. I drove down to Maryland to pick up Tribble when she was a puppy, and she and all the other puppies/dogs were happily munching on cicada carcasses. They crunched underneath your feet!

Frank B
May. 19, 2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you so much Frank B I saw Dr. Cooley who you responded to form the website http://www.magicicada.org today and he said the information coming in from "my horse people" is terrific. Made me giggle that I had "horse people"! Thank you for the idea of the request in a new thread.

Please inform him that the above URL has also been passed along to an Amateur Radio Forum.

Tamara in TN
May. 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
I heard some of the first this morning on my way to the fields

Tamara

Frank B
May. 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
You're running about 10 days behind us, Tamara. Ours started about the 3rd.

Tamara in TN
May. 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
You're running about 10 days behind us, Tamara. Ours started about the 3rd.

we are three weeks behind everything else in TN :lol:
summer
winter
harvest
planting

Tamara