PDA

View Full Version : Another Goat ?? ...is a Weater as....

spook1
May. 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
nasty as a intact male? Would they make a good horse companion?

T.i.A

didgery
May. 16, 2012, 09:36 PM
Wethers are lovely animals. Not stinky like a buck. I highly recommend one! My mule enjoyed his pet wether, Jasper Jules, and missed him when he was gone (the does, which remain, were not social with Fenway so we just got him a mini mule last weekend).

cowboymom
May. 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
A tame wether is one of the sweetest creatures in the world.

SLW
May. 16, 2012, 11:38 PM
You will have a soul mate with a wether!! Plan on not getting task done because you will enjoy hanging out with him as much as your horse.

Nes
May. 16, 2012, 11:41 PM
They will make a good horse companion if the horse bonds with them; but goats needs other goat companions too :).

tradewind
May. 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
Wethers are amazing companions for both people and horses. I have two and would not trade them for anything.

Pennywell Bay
May. 17, 2012, 05:45 AM
2 Neubians and a mini goat. Holy crow do I adore them. They eat my weeds at the fenceline, follow me around like my dogs. Be prepared to get great fencing to keep them in and make certain you can lock you grain up tightly.

My boy Marley head butted the aluminum doors to the feed shed to get them open. Mr. PB was not impressed and threatened to have goat burgers for Memorial Day....

spook1
May. 17, 2012, 08:51 AM
Thank you guys!! Thats good to know! I may need another as a companion for a horse. I am glad to here they are not stinky:lol:

S1969
May. 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
Timely question as I'm trying to decide on a companion for my mini mare (or a grazing muzzle). I just can't let her graze 12 hours over night like my big horses. But I didn't realize goats would need a companion goat....do they? My good friend has 4 Nubian kids - two males and two females. They may keep one of the males (wethered) as a pet, but looking to rehome the other one. Would he miss goat companions? I'm not sure I really want more than one....(the other alternative is to find another mini and dry lot them both)....

Daatje
May. 17, 2012, 10:21 AM
We used to raise Nubians. I love goats! Our last goat was a wether and he was the absolute sweetest guy. The horses loved him!

Something to think about, if you only want one goat and not two, get a singleton buck from birth and bottle feed. That's what Gabe was, and he was much better adjusted to being the only goat (he thought he was a horse!) than if he was raised with other kids.

If you do get a buck kid, make sure you have him disbudded, as horns can be dangerous.

Awe, now you've got me wanting goats again! Good luck!

maunder
May. 17, 2012, 10:54 AM
I have five goats - three wethers and two does. My smallest little wether adores my Thoroughbred and sleeps by his own choice in the stall with him at night. As much as he loves that horse he does love socializing with his goatie friends so I'd agree that goats really should have pals of their own species.

My two largest wethers are La Manchas and they are horned. They aren't mean with their horns but the horns do tend to get in my way sometimes when the goats are milling about at feeding time. The boys also like to hook their horns into the fence and pull - just for the fun of it. :cool: They can't wreck my welded wire pasture fence but they do a number on the lower grade fencing I use between the stalls. I have to replace that fairly often due to goatie action.

MistyBlue
May. 17, 2012, 11:06 AM
Wait a minute...Didgery, you got a mini-mule for your big mule and I didn't see photos in that post? :winkgrin:

KarrotKreek
May. 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
I second all the comments that wethers are great. None of the nasty boy habits or odor. I have one that I gelded late after deciding I couldn't handle the odor or the fact that he drank straight from the tap, so to speak.

He is odor free, not quite as billy goat gruff in looks as he used to be, but gentle as a teddy bear.

maunder
May. 17, 2012, 11:24 AM
I have one that I gelded late after deciding I couldn't handle the odor or the fact that he drank straight from the tap, so to speak.

:dead:

:lol: But the does love it! ;)

hundredacres
May. 17, 2012, 11:28 AM
A tame wether is one of the sweetest creatures in the world.

We LOVE our Nubian wether. We got him to keep the dry-lotted pony company but he is a BFF to all of the horses - the mares coddle him like a baby. Just this morning I saw him crawl on top of one of the mares as she napped. He was raised with the horses though and has no idea what bad goats do - he doesn't eat tails or make much noise at all.

maunder
May. 17, 2012, 11:40 AM
Erg - that reminds me. The little Nigerian Pygmy wether that loves my Thoroughbred so much does chew his tail. I forgot about that because I'm so used to it.

It's a lovely level "cut" that makes my horse look like something out of an old Stubbs painting. :lol: The tail is level to right above the hocks! Ah!

The wee goat (named Gimli) doesn't chew the tails of the three mini horses and it's only Gimli that chews. I've tried everything but he even loves the taste of No Chew.

cowboymom
May. 17, 2012, 12:07 PM
I have a single goat now-he's survived one brother and one buddy. I've been trying to find him another friend but in the meantime he's happy hanging out with the dogs and me. Especially me. He drinks wine with me. :D I love him dearly.

maunder
May. 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
I have a single goat now-he's survived one brother and one buddy. I've been trying to find him another friend but in the meantime he's happy hanging out with the dogs and me. Especially me. He drinks wine with me. :D I love him dearly.

:)

2DogsFarm
May. 17, 2012, 12:13 PM
Every year since I bought my farmette I go to the County Fair and coo over the goats.
So Sweet! So Key-oot! So Purty!!!

The only thing holding me back has been the fact that I'd need to redo my pasture fencing - coated tensile wire - to goatproof it.

Now comes along hundredacres.....
So tell me: does your horselike wether respect the horse fencing?
If the answer is yes, I could very likely end up with a goat this summer (County Fair is 8/3-12).

And, perchance it doesn't work out at 2 Dogs Farm: where exactly in IN are you?
Ya know, just in case a goat got "lost" around your farm :uhoh:

cowboymom
May. 17, 2012, 12:19 PM
My goat doesn't mind any fence. My teenage son designed him a virtual CELL out of horse and hog panels and was very proud when it held the goat for two weeks. :lol:

Tall woven wire with a hot wire on top works fine but it's a hassle to build/convince non-goatie husbands to build...we recently moved and I lost my goat pen.

Pigweed spends a lot of time loose in the yard sleeping with the dogs on the porch waiting for me to come outside....he's just like a dog except he expels bb's constantly and eats the foliage.

maunder
May. 17, 2012, 12:20 PM
Goaties are wonderful. I adore mine. Nothing is more fun to watch when they decide to perform Rodeo Goat antics, especially when accompanied by toots, which they do by blowing air out their noses.

You know what is very, very lovely too? SHEEP! I have my black sheep wether, Wickery and my little disabled ewe, Tuuli in my back yard and they are the friendliest, most snuggly creatures that I can imagine. They are more quiet than the goats and will stand quietly next to me if I'm sitting out in the yard.

mp
May. 17, 2012, 12:21 PM

We're now down to a single wether, too. Lucky is 19 years old and sweet as can be.

His littermate and brother, Peewee, died last fall. We were worried that Lucky would be lonely but he seems to be doing fine all by himself. He gets a good head and shoulder scratching every morning and evening when he gets fed. That seems to be sufficient company for him.

re: fence questions: If it won't hold water, it won't hold a goat. ;)

No, they do not respect horse fencing. They will escape and they will eat your shrubs, rose bushes, grape vines, AND your neighbor's landscaping, too. Our old one is easy to keep in because he's ancient. But when they were younger, we put up hogwire panels topped with hot wire to keep them in. Darling animals and when I'm retired, I plan on having several again. But until then, I'm swearing off.

maunder
May. 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
For fencing I've had great success with five foot high welded wire horse fence. It goes right to the ground (or they will shimmy under) and there is a board on top.

For temporary use I have the PowerBuilt panels from Premier. I can put up little grazing areas and these work very nicely.

I don't have any electric do any of my fences. I do have a problem with the mini horses scratching their bums on the fence but no one gets out (knock wood).

saanengirl
May. 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
I have goats in six-strand electric fencing, and it does the job. They respect the fence and six strands is enough to make it seem solid enough to where they are not tempted to try to escape.

didgery
May. 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
Wait a minute...Didgery, you got a mini-mule for your big mule and I didn't see photos in that post? :winkgrin:

Just click "Arrietty G. Teaspoon" in my signature line, or visit www.braysofourlives.com or www.facebook.com/fenwaybartholomule for loads of pictures! :D

hundredacres
May. 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
Our goat absolutely respects the electric braid fence. We did need to add one lower for him in some sections but that was just because he could walk under on some of the hills. When he was a kid he was zapped by the fence and he jumped 3 feet in the air. He's not dumb - he stays away now. And anyway, he won't go where the horses can't go.

Ours is also a very picky eater and he won't anything but grass or weeds. When we've let him in the front yard he stripped an oak sapling tree of it's leaves, but well, we don't let him in the front yard!

I HIGHLY recommend halter training them though. We blew it by thinking it was cute to follow the pony anywhere. Now I can't get him to go anywhere unless the pony comes too.

2DogsFarm
May. 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Can you tell I want to be enabled?

Nothing is electrified at my place, but if adding a goat-level hot wire would work I might consider that.

Hmmm...that would also end the horses' favorite pastime: grazing through the fencing.
But that means I lose the very neat equine-maintained 2' border that never needs mowing...
Decisions
decisions
:confused:

didgery:
Arrietty is beyond cute!
Is Barthomule in LOFF <3?

leaf
May. 17, 2012, 02:40 PM
I adore my worthless boer wethers. All 250 lbs each of them. I thought I'd go into the meat goat business. Do you know how cute the kids are? Playing king of the mountain on a trying to nap draft horse? Needless to say the meat business is out for me, although I do threaten them when they are especially rascally. Spike is 12 yrs. old, Choma (roast in swahili), and Yellow eyed Steuben are 10.
I have a 5-strand electric rope fence, all 7 boers do fine with it.

didgery
May. 17, 2012, 03:33 PM
My kids and adolescent goats were trouble on fencing, but my mature does (3 years and up) are very easy to contain. You'll probably need woven wire fencing plus a couple strands of electric to contain teenagers!

oliverreed
May. 17, 2012, 03:50 PM
Didgery, Arietty is TOO cute!!!!!