PDA

View Full Version : dead battery on riding mower

curiousgirl
May. 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
The battery on my riding mower died. Can I jumpstart it with another mower, the same way you would from car-to-car?

Bluey
May. 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
Yes, if both batteries are the same voltage is best.
We jump ours with the pickup.

Better to get a battery charger, sold at Lowes/Home Depot or such, about $35 and let it charge for a bit.

If the battery is bad or old, best to get a new one.

Alagirl
May. 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
take the battery to a carparts place. they can check it and see if you need a new one or if you can just charge it.

Having a charging unit handy is never a bad idea.
I have an old van with a 7 yo battery. every time somebody leaves the dome light on, I need a jump...the charging unit has been god send. Easy to use, too.
You can get different ones, make sure it covers car, trailer, mower, what have you! :yes:

Also, if the battery is not old, do check for short circuits...;)

curiousgirl
May. 16, 2012, 01:40 PM

Better to get a battery charger, sold at Lowes/Home Depot or such, about $35 and let it charge for a bit.

Thanks Bluey!

curiousgirl
May. 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
take the battery to a carparts place. they can check it and see if you need a new one or if you can just charge it.

Having a charging unit handy is never a bad idea.
I have an old van with a 7 yo battery. every time somebody leaves the dome light on, I need a jump...the charging unit has been god send. Easy to use, too.
You can get different ones, make sure it covers car, trailer, mower, what have you! :yes:

Also, if the battery is not old, do check for short circuits...;)

Thanks Alagirl, looks like I'll be making a trip to Home Depot!

Alagirl
May. 16, 2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks Alagirl, looks like I'll be making a trip to Home Depot!

LOL, stop at advance Auto first. I don't think HD checks batteries. ;)

Tom King
May. 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
Those little batteries don't last but a few years at best, especially if you don't keep a charge going in them in the off season. Take it out, and carry it to TSC, or any parts place to exchange it for a new one. You get 10 bucks for the old one allowed on the new one. Fortunately, they aren't real expensive.

Rabtfarm
May. 17, 2012, 08:11 AM
I have been having some success at Walmart: I have picked up 3 batteries there recently, the last one for my tractor. All around $80 net after the trade in of the old battery.
Lastly I have also discovered that there is no such thing as a maintenance free battery: they all have cells that need distilled water to top them off occasionally. Pick up a battery charger if you do not already own one too..works better than a set of jumper cables sometimes...as Tom says, once they lose charge they are pretty worthless. Around here in the wintertime once they lose charge and freeze they are kaput...you cannot recharge them.

gumtree
May. 23, 2012, 09:54 AM
As other have said yes it can be jumped. Most if not all mower batteries are 12 volt. But they do not have a long life. If it does not charge back up after mowing for a couple of hours it is most likely shot. They cost around $25 at Wal-Mart. IMO money well spent considering the hassle of having to jump. Occasionally the charging system go bad.

fooler
May. 29, 2012, 05:05 PM

This, plus the charger can be used on car/truck batteries as well. ;)
We buy replacement RM batteries at Walmart every 1 - 2 years, depending on the weather extremes.