PDA

View Full Version : Naples vs. Wellington

bridgewater3day
May. 16, 2012, 09:49 AM
As someone looking to get a head-start in the industry, and hoping to work under someone in the South Florida area, wondering which area would be more suitable? I'm currently an event rider who is looking to switch-over to pure dressage and eventually work towards PSG, and don't have a bottomless pit of financial backing, so which area would be best to try to find work/trainers in? Also any opinions on pricing/venues/things to look for/things to avoid/social scene/area info is appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Melyni
May. 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
IMHO there is no comparison,
Wellington has WAY more to offer in terms of exposure and contacts than Naples. However it is considerably more expensive.

The South Florida thing is very much a winter time thing, but during the winter there is way more in terms of competing and training going on in Wellington.

If you are going as a an assistant/WS then you'll have to go where the trainer you work with goes. I'd worry more about who I was working with than where I was working.
MW

2tempe
May. 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
I've been living in central Florida for several years, and I don't even hear much about Naples. A trainer I know drives down there every month or so to do a clinic; I sense that things are a bit sparse.

You might want to contact Poulins in Deland (near Daytona) as they are periodically looking for working students and maintain some presence here year round. They hired an (older) friend of mine to work part time last summer in exchange for lessons.
Wellington is THE place to be in the winter, but it is, as noted, expensive and IMO often as much about the social scene as the riding part. Up here in the central part, it is certainly quieter, and more year-round...

FLeventer
May. 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
Naples has a dressage scene? I've only ever been to dressage shows in wellington/west palm in south florida. The poulins are good to work for, my friends has been a ws there for a few years. She is a brilliant rider now in comparison to before she went. She loves working for them.

There are some others in C. Fl if you want names pm me.

cadance
May. 18, 2012, 07:32 PM
Naples has a dressage scene?

my thoughts exactly. I don't think many places in the US can compare to what Wellington has to offer...

Kaluna
May. 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
I agree with what's posted here. Welly winter is very expensive, but lots of trainers have year-round presence there and may have more time to work with you in the summer (and alot less expense).

Lynnwood
May. 18, 2012, 08:41 PM
As someone looking to get a head-start in the industry, and hoping to work under someone in the South Florida area, wondering which area would be more suitable? I'm currently an event rider who is looking to switch-over to pure dressage and eventually work towards PSG, and don't have a bottomless pit of financial backing, so which area would be best to try to find work/trainers in? Also any opinions on pricing/venues/things to look for/things to avoid/social scene/area info is appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Grew up in Naples (21years) doing mostly the hunter/jumper scene but did dabble in dressage and had a horse working on 3rd level at one point. There are a few nice barns and a few good instructors but its sparse. Most everyone trailers out or pays for someone to come in.

Hands down 100% Wellington. Naples is lovely and if your looking to teach you might find a niche there as there are not many trainers to choose from.. if your looking for someone to work under and build your own while still gaining instruction WELLINGTON