PDA

View Full Version : Ridden Horse Behaviour project

Equestrian Science
May. 16, 2012, 07:25 AM
Firstly I hope it's ok to post on here: I read the T & C and I think it's ok, but if not, my apologies!

I'm working on a project in the UK to develop a video based open access teaching and learning resource to describe Ridden Horse Behaviour. We are part way through and would love some feedback. I've been a lurker on here for a while and there seems to be a broad range of members.

The resource is aimed at students and industry trainees, but anyone with an interest in ridden horse behaviour is welcome to use it :) It is purely descriptive and focussed on the horse. We will not be disussing training methods.

You can access the resource at:

http://riddenhorsebehaviour.wikispaces.com

Just to reiterate, the completed resource will be completely free for anyone to access, so I have nothing to sell!

We do also have a facebook community and would love more members, but I'm not sure if I should post that link here. You can access it from the website though :winkgrin:

Many thanks in advance

ES

Petstorejunkie
May. 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
This is based on who's data?

Equestrian Science
May. 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
This is based on who's data?

Hi Petstorejunkie, thanks for your interest, but I'm not sure what you mean?

The horses on the Ridden Horse Assessment page were assessed by a panel of Vets, qualified Dressage Judges and Trainers (10 of each). We have not analysed the data in full yet so the comments are based on average scores.

We are using as many clips as possible from the horses that were used in the assessments, but for some of the pages (eg the behaviours) we are using youtube links. We are trying to be as objective and descriptive as possible , but some subjectivity is unavoidable as there are few scientific measurements of ridden horse behaviour to date. Hope this helps, any further feedback welcome :)

RedHorses
May. 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
I like the pics of the toy horse and rider on each page. :D

Exuberant doesn't have a C in it. Napping should have only two Ps. You need someone to proofread your site.

The Napping description seems weird. First I would not have said napping isn't a specific behaviour without a lot more explanation. You've got nothing there to tell anyone who doesn't know what napping is what napping is. Napping IS a specific behaviour (refusal to leave home/the herd) that can expand to include other behaviours (like refusal to move, bucking, rearing, spinning, running sideways/backwards, etc) as further resistance. I would definitely not have said that napping occurs towards home as that implies the behaviour occurs when moving towards home.

Your horse assessment descriptions are making assumptions about the knowledge of whatever system of levels in whatever discipline you're talking about in whichever country you live in. In plain language your "from the horses mouth" descriptions don't tell me what discipline most of the horses do, what XX level means, or what country/system is in use for said levels so I have a hope of finding out should I actually be that interested. When you want to share knowledge don't make people navigate away from your site to find information.

Are you going to add the judges' and trainers' comments to the link at the Read More? There's nothing there as far as I can see. I was expecting some more detailed comments made by the judges and trainers since there was a super simplified version of what they'd said. Most disappointed to find nothing...

Under The Eyes you have a huge pic of a horse's whorl - not an eye in sight?

It looks like you have an outline of your intentions well started. Keep on going. :)

Equestrian Science
May. 17, 2012, 05:20 AM
Wow thanks for all the feedback RedHorses. I've corrected all the typos and reinstated the eyes!

The resource was set up for vocational learners, so we wanted to make it very visual with minimal text. The 'more info here' clicks take you to discussion posts, but no one's posted anything yet so there's nothing to read! I could perhaps start each thread off with some more detailed judges comments.

A good point as well about explaining the standards for non-UK members, will look into this.

Finally I'm glad you bonded with 'James' and 'Dancing Belle'! I did the pictures as it was easier than sourcing non copyright ones.

A big thanks again :)

ES

ideayoda
May. 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
A couple of questions: how do you post to your site? And second: how can you NOT address training methods? They are DIRECTLY related to the reactions (the horses are showing).

Appsolute
May. 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
I have to confess, I do not understand the goal of the site.

Visual examples of horse’s body language when undersaddle?

But not to address training techniques? Ears held this way mean happy… ears held that way mean annoyed (which is usually a response to the rider / training technique).