PDA

View Full Version : Barns in South Dakota

asochocky
May. 15, 2012, 07:44 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions about well-run, safe barns in South Dakota that may specialize in dressage but jumping is fine? In my google searches, I have found a few barns but am really interested if others have had experiences with any farms in South Dakota? Anywhere in the state is fine. Thanks. Anna

mjhco
May. 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
SD is a mighty big state.

Approximate location would help.

The centers of population are Rapid City and Sioux Falls. Many hours apart.

asochocky
May. 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
Actually, I am from Sioux Falls, but haven't lived their for almost twenty-five years. I am open to places near-ish to Sioux Falls, but have spent alot of good times in the Black Hills. I tend to gravitate towards population centers of some kind! Thanks! Anna

ddashaq
May. 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
Back about 8 years ago there was a dressage instructor named Deb Parks who was either in or very near to Sioux Falls.

http://www.valleyspringsfarm.com/Home.html

This is the farm that came up when I googled her just now, not sure if it is the one I visited to watch one of my friends ride with her. I lived in Sioux City at the time and she was the only dressage instructor I heard of in that area unless you wanted to head into Nebraska.

asochocky
May. 16, 2012, 05:47 PM
Thank you so much for the Valley Springs posting. The facility looks quite good.

Tif_Ann
May. 16, 2012, 06:38 PM
Natalie Hamilton Hinneman comes to Sioux Falls often, at least monthly, for lessons/clinics. She has students that ride at a couple private farms, a couple that ride where I board, Cedar Ridge Equestrian Center on the north side of town (but we are pretty full right now), and a few that are now boarding at the new location near Harrisburg, CK Stables. I *believe* Susen Shumaker of Gable Acres arranges the clinics. Susen also gives lessons. Sandie Van Voorst gives lessons as well, and rides with Natalie, and is quite good.

Other boarding barns in the area include Reinbow Stables on the east side of Sioux Falls, Windy Hills and Westride Equestrian Centers on the north side of town. None of them are known for their English riders, more western, but you will find riders of all disciplines at pretty much every barn in town.

Then there is Performance Plus Arabians, and Glory Bound Arabians - but I'm not sure if they board, or just train/instruct. And obviously, Arabians/Saddlebreds/etc is their specialty.

PM me if you want contact info for these or more information.