PDA

View Full Version : Young Horse Test or Training/1st Level Test?

displacedyank
May. 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
So I have a very talented, just turned 5yo that I'm marketing for sale. I took her to the Williamston Show this past April, and just focused on the USEF Young Horse Test. She scored well, earning a 70% and 71.2%. My question is, looking forward to future shows, would you guys rather see a young sales prospect shown in the Young Horse Classes, Training/1st Level Tests, or both? My pocketbook is limited, and I want to focus on only what would be in her best interest, and these two divisions are scored very differently. All comments, and suggestions would be welcome!! Thanks!

netg
May. 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
This sounds like a very nice horse who isn't one headed to young horse championships. In that case, I'd show off how much training it has by doing regular tests, and show off the nice score gaits it is likely to get as well. If you can have a horse get 7+ submission and 7+ gaits, you're starting off pretty well.

NOMIOMI1
May. 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
I feel the young horse test shows much more about the horses future just IMO

Kaluna
May. 15, 2012, 08:52 PM
Ride the test that your horse does best at. The young horse tests really stress gaits and good riding. Meaning, a good rider can produce a nice test on a nice horse because of inherent talent (not drilling movements). The judges don't care so much about little flubs -they know the horse is only 5 - but they care about balance and rideability. And you get oral comments from the judge. The first level tests take a bit more training to really shine at and you're sometimes riding against horses with more experience. Judges care alot more about little flubs. They don't know how experienced or inexperienced your horse is or what the age is.

But, and here's the big but, even very nice horses can do worse in the young horse classes than the regular levels, OR do better better in the young horse classes than the regular levels. Sometimes it's different year to year dep on how they grow, etc. Think about your horse's strengths and weaknesses, take a good look at the tests and ride the one that shows off your horse best! :yes:

Good luck!

honeylips
May. 15, 2012, 09:22 PM
With scores in the low 70s in the YH classes - I would switch to training level and go that route or better yet - First level would be even more marketable if the scores can be in the upper 60s/low 70s at First level

displacedyank
May. 15, 2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the replies!!! This young horse started out in the Hunters, not doing dressage, so I feel like we are pretty far behind anyways. She only started doing dressage about 7 months ago, and contact was a four letter word back then! *LOL* That's why I have been waffling between the young horse versus the Training/1st Level test. I certainly don't want to pit this horse that has only taken up contact in the last 5 months against horses that have been at 1st level for life. *LOL* It was based on that reason that I went the young horse route. But then again, in that division, I'm against young horses that have been started correctly from the get-go. *sigh* Decisions, decisions... I really would like to just keep her at home and continue her training for the next 6 months before forcing her to go out and "show the world" what she knows...but that doesn't sell a horse, now does it? :(