PDA

View Full Version : OH SH*T! IT'S ALIVE!!

Alagirl
May. 15, 2012, 03:09 PM
I just went to dump my compost pale on my pile - which is a large plastic trash can with holes drilled in the sides (not ideal, but it works)
I step around the gate ebhind which I parked it...
I peek over the edge and see something fuzzy...Squirrel, maybe? Must have died or whatever <shrug>

I lift the bowl over the trashcan and turn it over....when the fluff raises it's ugly head and bare it's teeth:
IT'S A POSSUM!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Poor thing had to endure a shower of stale hotdog rolls and coffee grounds...

it looks smallish, so I turned the trash can over, maybe it's gonna scramble...it kinds looked like in the movies...with all the refuse on top of it, poor thing.

(and no I am NOT going to touch it. They creep me out, thank you very much, no go ahead and point and laugh!)

SmartAlex
May. 15, 2012, 03:52 PM
:lol: The first, last and only time I ever did a girly scream was when I walked into the feed room and came face to face with a possum on the window ledge.

Finding one in my compost bin would elicit a similar reaction.

ChocoMare
May. 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
Got fresh panties? :lol:

I'd have done the same wee-girl shriek and fled.

saddleup
May. 15, 2012, 04:15 PM
Holy cow! I'm shuddering here at the thought of it! Gross!

GoForAGallop
May. 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
I actually find them incredibly adorable, and would have just felt bad for dumping trash on it. :lol:

Nezzy
May. 15, 2012, 05:01 PM
it will probably enjoy the garbage. they do not see well, which is why they show you their Huge mouth. They really are not very fast when trying to get you, b/c like i mentioned, they do not see well. they just want to be left alone. just have to worry about EPM

Calvincrowe
May. 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
Ahhh...poor possum! I love them (we have very little EPM here) and they are actually fairly gentle little near-sighted creatures. I have also given the scaredy pants squeal when finding mice in my feed barrel when the lid was left ajar. EEK!:D

Foxtrot's
May. 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
I'm told possums are not territorial, so with a bit of luck this one will just wander away looking for kedible morsels.

But leave them alone - they can crush a finger like a chicken bone.

One ambled into our moving horse trailer one night. We lept out and thought it was dead (playing possum). My daughter picked it up and we put it in the trailer tack room. (Bad decision). It was pretty long stretched out . When we got home it had moved to the other side of the tack room, so it was not dead. Next day we took it to the wildlife person and asked if they would want us to return it to its old 'hood, but she said they wouldn't care and just wander on, so they released it out back of her place. It had a broken tooth, and some blood, but was fine.

Alagirl
May. 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
It did not stick around for me to come back with the camera. :)

Luckily my 'farm' is not near any horses.

So much for thinking you know the wild life in your area....

:lol:

Frank B
May. 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
We love our 'possum down here! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsmrLiK1efw)

Opus1
May. 15, 2012, 10:14 PM
Good timing.

I had a juvenile/young possum end up in my bedroom(!) about a week ago. My theory is that it came onto the enclosed back porch, hid, and slipped inside at some point.

Of course, I didn't find him until about 3:30 a.m. I'd heard some noise in the room, but thought maybe it was a frog in the screen, or even a small mouse. Went back to sleep for 30 minutes, woke up, and heard real noise -- close to my bed. I flipped on the light, looked down and -- in all my blondeness -- thought there was a pink snake hanging off my shoe shelf. :D Once I realized it was the back end of a possum, I was actually kind of relieved. Possums are easy to catch -- snakes, not so much.

I grabbed my pop-up laundry hamper and scooped him in, then put him outside.

Here's a couple pics of him in the basket:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--nVwBlZgnVc/T7MND56OdAI/AAAAAAAAHW8/u2yaN1oYb7c/s800/546446_3833399714804_1272264850_33554535_194229469 9_n.jpeg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7uCRWOFAFP0/T7MND4_65VI/AAAAAAAAHXA/KC8_kCOPEOI/s800/577632_3833405474948_1272264850_33554542_167788873 4_n.jpeg

Foxtrot's
May. 15, 2012, 11:18 PM
Funny how just about anything can be reason to start a thread - he is so cute in the basket, but happier outside I'm sure.

So, Frank - you love your possums - as in possum stew?

KrazyTBMare
May. 15, 2012, 11:24 PM
Opus, Im not sure I would have been so calm to turn on the light and find a critter next to my bed! But dear Lawd he is super cute!

Alagirl
May. 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
Opus, Im not sure I would have been so calm to turn on the light and find a critter next to my bed! But dear Lawd he is super cute!

:lol::lol::lol:

Kind of like that eye glass commercial with the racoon! :D

yes, I am very near sighted...it could happen to me! :o:yes::lol:

runNjump86
May. 16, 2012, 12:34 AM
Bahahaha!! The closest encounter I had with one was when I was a young 'un...like, 10. My friends and I were feeding at our boarding barn, and we caught sight of a possum just chilling in the middle of the old arena-turned-dry lot. Of course, two 10 year old girls, we went FLYING up to the barn and probably screamed on the way up. Either way, one of the other boarder's husbands went out with a lunge whip and used the handle to try and prod the little devil back to the woods, to no avail. Instead it just hissed and bared its ugly teeth. He ended up making a noose with the lash end, roped it around its teeth, and carted it back to the woods where it belonged. :lol:

Now, you want to hear me do a girly scream/shriek? Put a rat in my grill. I'm pretty sure I scared the neighbors....half a mile away!

Somermist
May. 16, 2012, 12:38 AM
:lol: The first, last and only time I ever did a girly scream was when I walked into the feed room and came face to face with a possum on the window ledge.

Finding one in my compost bin would elicit a similar reaction.

Me too! Eating dry cat food right there in the feed room and I was in high heels on New Years Eve checking a pregnant mare. Yeah, I know who does that. ;) I wear high heels probably once a year, maybe. I still ran like hell. Then I made my husband go in and get rid of him.

NBChoice
May. 16, 2012, 12:52 AM
Ahhh! I think they're so cute in a creepy way. But I don't want one near me!

Belg
May. 16, 2012, 07:41 AM
Gotta love the holey trash can composter... it's almost as good as the holy hand grenade....

Frank B
May. 16, 2012, 09:05 AM
So, Frank - you love your possums - as in possum stew?
Eat one of those filthy things? Are you kidding? I'd as soon kiss a horse's butt. (Insert *yechh* emoticon here)

Looking at one, I get the distinct impression that they are one of God's early lab experiments that went horribly wrong. Kinda like the Wildebeast -- or certain humans. :lol:

SmartAlex
May. 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
Once I realized it was the back end of a possum, I was actually kind of relieved. Possums are easy to catch -- snakes, not so much.

I'm not sure I would have been relieved in either case. Snakes or Possums on my shoe shelf at 3 am would be grounds for house abandonment. :eek:

I may be a country girl, but I whimp out real fast with untame critters that move quickly and unexpectantly.

Aggie4Bar
May. 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
Eat one of those filthy things? Are you kidding? I'd as soon kiss a horse's butt. (Insert *yechh* emoticon here)

How about raccoon? :D

Not to hijack, but... My neighbor likes to watch that Redneck Vacation show. I've yet to see it although I've heard the run-downs of most episodes (from same neighbor, lol... "You have to watch the show! Omigod, I've never felt so normal!!"). Anyhow, there was an episode where they hosted a more/less roadkill barbeque. When they picked up their raccoon from the butcher, the gal asked if it still had its feet on it because where they come from, if it doesn't have its feet, people might try to sell you a housecat. :eek: :lol: :dead: For whatever reason, this prompted my neighbor to start asking questions about eating raccoons and if it's true about leaving the feet on for identification. It does, after all, sound like some sort of sick joke. This is how I came to learn that it is legal, with proper license, to sell raccoon meat; yes, there are individuals in our community for whom it's a dietary staple :dead:; and yes, it's customary leave at least one foot on.

But I'm with Frank B on this. Raccoon and possum are not on the menu. Not sure I could go there even if I was on death's doorstep with starvation.

arabhorse2
May. 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Possums look like huge, monstrous rats to me. Definitely DON'T find them cute or appealing. :dead:

My mother remembers eating groundhog and squirrel as a child, but she never ate raccoon or possum to my knowledge. Her father was a hunter so they always had meat, even if it wasn't 'store bought'. ;)

I've found a snakelet in the house, but never a possum. It was easy enough to trap the baby snake under a broom and scoot his butt out the front door. A possum I'd just as soon shoot as try to catch.

AliCat518
May. 16, 2012, 03:03 PM
When I was about 11, before my dad had installed electricity in the barn, I went to feed the horses. It was 5:30am, before school. I walked into the tack room, just like any other day, reached my hand in the trash can of feed, searching for the scoop, and I grabbed a POSSUM.

Nearly crapped my pants. I went SCREAMING for daddy on that one.

Opus1
May. 16, 2012, 11:17 PM
For me, catching a small possum was easier than trying to catch a snake. Simply because the possum will hold still when you come close, more or less. (Although if you get too close, it will bare its teeth.) And because it's harder for a possum to find a crevice to slip into.

Now, my cousin likes to cook all sorts of Ga. wildlife. While I've never ate possum, I remember the one time he cooked it. The meat was very greasy and it did not smell appetizing. As for raccoon, I was tricked into trying some ('Here, try some hash ...') and it was seasoned very well, but you could tell the meat was leaner and a bit tougher. I don't recall any distinct taste to it, since it was served up as hash and over rice. And I was fine eating it after he told me what it was, up until I hit a piece of bone ... And that was that.

Alagirl
May. 17, 2012, 12:54 AM
oh darn I think Samy the possum is still here...

I just stepped into my laundry room and saw some curious creature in the shadows of the carport, moving towards the door.
"NO you cannot move in!"
(I have one of them old fashioned ranch houses, the original door is in the car port but we made one from the kitchen...)

I closed the door really quickly.

I have 3 cats, I don't need a possum, racoon or more cats on the couch! :no:

Beentheredonethat
May. 17, 2012, 01:27 AM
I went to see what the Beagle was looking at in the yard one day, and came upon a nasty dead juvenile possum. Poor thing! The dog nosed him a bit, but backed off. That's got to be pretty nasty for a Beagle not to get it.

So, I got some gloves to pick it up to dispose of it, and it moved! Ugh! Talk about playing possum! He very, very slowly got up and very, very slowly walked underneath some wood on the ground. Apparently he walked very, very slowly away in the middle of the night.

Funniest thing was back when I had a roommate and she went down into the laundry room, which USED to have a hole in the door for the dog to come in and out. I hear a screech and she comes running up the stairs shaking. Down I go and find a poor baby possum shaking and hissing behind he dryer from the scary big lady. I closed the door, and he was gone the next day. I covered up the hole in the door to prevent further encounters.

shakeytails
May. 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
At the old farm I was surprised by a 'possum in an uncovered, nearly empty trash can I used for feed. I dragged the can out of the feed room and called for Dee, the bestest farm dog ever. I dumped the can and Dee quickly dispatched the possum. She didn't care that it played dead- she just crunched it's head. For weeks afterward, she'd bring me a dead possum almost daily, she must have scoured my property and the neighbors looking for them! Normally I would have discouraged such behavior, but because of the EPM thing, I just let Dee carry on.

Sunnyhorse
Jun. 12, 2012, 11:51 PM
"Dad?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNihdGBu8k) :D

Alagirl
Jun. 13, 2012, 12:24 AM
"Dad?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuNihdGBu8k) :D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

flashwhitelock
Jun. 13, 2012, 03:15 AM
EPM, EPM, EPM. Hate possums.

Mosey_2003
Jun. 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
When they picked up their raccoon from the butcher, the gal asked if it still had its feet on it because where they come from, if it doesn't have its feet, people might try to sell you a housecat. :eek: :lol: :dead: For whatever reason, this prompted my neighbor to start asking questions about eating raccoons and if it's true about leaving the feet on for identification.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I heard they leave rabbit feet on, at least in Europe (I'm thinking the thread was on here, but I can't remember) because that way you know it's not a cat...

jse
Jun. 13, 2012, 07:26 AM
When I was about 11, before my dad had installed electricity in the barn, I went to feed the horses. It was 5:30am, before school. I walked into the tack room, just like any other day, reached my hand in the trash can of feed, searching for the scoop, and I grabbed a POSSUM.

Nearly crapped my pants. I went SCREAMING for daddy on that one.

THIS!!!!
It happened to me as well. I screamed SO loud!
He had feasted on so much food that when I tipped the trash can over to get him out he just slooooowwwwly wobbled out and looked back at me like, "thanks for the meal!" <-----like Timbleton on Charlottes Web!

Alagirl
Jun. 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
This morning I found a chipmunk in my bed...I thought I had finally qualified for breakfast in bed...but apparently I am only at the apprentice stage.

Chippy was very much alive and took the chance to bolt.
Now I have no idea where he went off to....

SmartAlex
Jun. 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
This falls under OH SH*T! IT'S DEAD!!

I keep peanuts for horse treats in a plastic container in the barn. The lid has recently gone missing, but no big deal... last week I reached in for a handfull of peanuts and pulled out a dead mouse.

I jumped around going "Eww Eww Eww" throwing peanuts and mice. My horse looked at me like I'd lost my mind. Luckily I had a fresh, unopened bag for treats. Now, where is that Lid?!?

Sonesta
Jun. 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
HAHAHA! Possums are so common around here that we encounter them all the time. Just last week I was in the backyard and was cleaning the fallen leaves out of the center of my sego palms and reached in to grab a handful of leaves and what to my surprise was hiding there (I suppose sleeping til nightfall) but a juvenile possum.

I took a quick photo of him with my phone. See below.

I just left him alone and he was gone by the next day.

RacetrackReject
Jun. 13, 2012, 12:07 PM
How about raccoon? :D

Not to hijack, but... My neighbor likes to watch that Redneck Vacation show. I've yet to see it although I've heard the run-downs of most episodes (from same neighbor, lol... "You have to watch the show! Omigod, I've never felt so normal!!"). Anyhow, there was an episode where they hosted a more/less roadkill barbeque. When they picked up their raccoon from the butcher, the gal asked if it still had its feet on it because where they come from, if it doesn't have its feet, people might try to sell you a housecat. :eek: :lol: :dead: For whatever reason, this prompted my neighbor to start asking questions about eating raccoons and if it's true about leaving the feet on for identification. It does, after all, sound like some sort of sick joke. This is how I came to learn that it is legal, with proper license, to sell raccoon meat; yes, there are individuals in our community for whom it's a dietary staple :dead:; and yes, it's customary leave at least one foot on.

But I'm with Frank B on this. Raccoon and possum are not on the menu. Not sure I could go there even if I was on death's doorstep with starvation.

OMG, I'm laughing so hard at this. When I first moved to this area, I went to one of the two meat butcher shops to get some steaks to grill. When I pulled up at the first one there was a sign on the door that said "Coons available". I sort of scratched my head and went on in because I couldn't figure out what that meant. As I'm waiting in line, I hear a guy say that he was there to pick up his raccoons and the bell went off. I ran out of there so fast it wasn't even funny..lol. I now shop at the other butcher shop.

tabula rashah
Jun. 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
I was feeding at a friend's barn one night and when you first turn the lights on in cold weather, they take a little while to warm up and come on. So I walked into the feed room in the dark and sort of saw the grey kitty on the bench where the cats got fed. I gave it a pet and it's fur felt a little funny but hey barn cats get into lots of stuff right? So I went on getting the horse feed ready- and then the lights popped on. Apparently I had pet a full grown possum who was snacking on cat food!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard me scream about a mile away and I think I washed my hands about a million times after that!!

Alagirl
Jun. 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
I was feeding at a friend's barn one night and when you first turn the lights on in cold weather, they take a little while to warm up and come on. So I walked into the feed room in the dark and sort of saw the grey kitty on the bench where the cats got fed. I gave it a pet and it's fur felt a little funny but hey barn cats get into lots of stuff right? So I went on getting the horse feed ready- and then the lights popped on. Apparently I had pet a full grown possum who was snacking on cat food!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard me scream about a mile away and I think I washed my hands about a million times after that!!

Here kitty, wont to come in and snuggle with Mama? :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOeWFBy75A

Equibrit
Jun. 13, 2012, 06:20 PM
I have a 12" terrier that takes them down. Over and out !

jcotton
Jun. 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
For me, 'coons and possums get trapped and .22 in the head! and dumped in the little animal ditch.
I don't like EPM carriers. Skunks, too, if they come around.

Big_Tag
Jun. 13, 2012, 09:05 PM
Aww I think they're cute. I always feel sorry for them when you encounter them on the road and they're running for their life at a snail's pace.

I actually read a book once by an individual who raised a lot of wild animals and of them all (which included groundhougs, squirrels, raccoons, etc), it sounded like the possums were always the most mellow, "best" pets of the lot. In a later life I'd love to have a pet possum, and a pet skunk.

Call me crazy; wouldn't be the first time ;)

Sonesta
Jun. 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
Anybody seen this Geico commercial about not being able to afford a puppy so getting the kids a possum? Hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo10WRKsLJ4&feature=youtu.be

Renaissance Lady
Jun. 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
My scariest moment was when I opened the door to the feedroom of a small dirt floor gambrel roof barn on our property and found a ball of snakes! I'm snake phobic (even if they were garter snakes :) ), so ran screaming backwards out the door--ended up by the well pit (covered) and happened to look down and snakes were coming out of it. Nearly wet my pants. Thought I was in a National Geographic nightmare.

Alagirl
Jun. 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
My scariest moment was when I opened the door to the feedroom of a small dirt floor gambrel roof barn on our property and found a ball of snakes! I'm snake phobic (even if they were garter snakes :) ), so ran screaming backwards out the door--ended up by the well pit (covered) and happened to look down and snakes were coming out of it. Nearly wet my pants. Thought I was in a National Geographic nightmare.

Indiana Jones moment...:cool:

tikihorse2
Jun. 14, 2012, 07:36 PM

I would have died. Honestly died, right there on the spot. I am terrified of snakes! :dead:

Opus1
Jun. 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Anybody seen this Geico commercial about not being able to afford a puppy so getting the kids a possum? Hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo10WRKsLJ4&feature=youtu.be

My aunt and I both crack up at that one. Especially after my possum incident ...

gabby.gator
Jun. 14, 2012, 09:47 PM

MOVED!!<<< is exactly what I would have done! not kidding either~ my trainer lived in a house that had snakes in the basement, came home one day to find a baby snake on it's way up to the second floor EEEEWWWWW!!!!!

my husband told her boyfriend at the time "good thing that never happened to "gabby", cuz we'd be looking at new houses the same day!!

I"m BEYOND phobic :eek::eek:

Griffyn
Jun. 14, 2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the reminder! My dog killed a smallish one, and I have yet to pick it up and dispose of properly!

D Taylor
Jun. 14, 2012, 10:31 PM
Years ago I was checking late on a sick horse. He was finally resting and I did not turn the barn lights on. Saw one of my cats at the kitty dish and gave him a back pat. My he was scruffy! No hair on the tail was the 2 nd clue.

So we named the moocher O. He grew fat and healthy on kitty food. Never left a mess in the barn and in the evenings when I called kitty kitty came running in the barn with the cats for dinner. Only O was not a he....O was a she.

So begat O2, O3, and O4. All O's children seemed to understand mooching kitty food was ok. But leave after the fact and they did. Enter boyfriend and father apparent to O and family. Lazy and dirty. Nasty to the cats. My barn broom convinced him to MOVE ON. Wise choice on his part.

We stopped over the years somewhere around O15. O ORIGINAL had long since passed on. She was old and crawled to the barn one night and laid down and never got up. But a decendent or 2 always hung around. In colder weather toward dark you could watch them waddle to the barn to finish off whatever the cats did not. They were never as likable as O. Nor were they nasty. O15 was the last I think and stopped visiting after the 1 st winter. Perhaps he moved on or maybe the coyotes got him. He was handsome as far as opposums go so I'd like to think he just moved on.

I kinda miss O.

Superminion
Jun. 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
My Mom forgot something in the house one winter, and left her car door open to run in and grab it. She got sidetracked when the phone rang and was in the house for probably a good 15-20 minutes.

I'm sure you can all guess where this is going....

4-5 miles down the road she heard rustling in her backseat and pulled over to see what was going on. She came face to face with a very large possum snacking on some crackers my sister had left on the floor. She refused to get back into the car and made my father leave work to get the thing out.

Poor Mom still turns white as a sheet when she talks about it. She's not very into the 'outdoors' and that just sealed the deal!

Mtn trails
Jun. 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
Getting back to opossums, have you seen this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/doodlebugdezines/2403154561/

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Renaissance Lady
Jun. 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
That poster is a riot!!

Reminds me of the time some years ago, when riding across a farmer's property we stopped to speak with him. He allowed a gun club to hunt on his property and told us this tale. Said one of the gun club members brought a city slicker in to hunt. When they were leaving the farm, the farmer asked them if they shot anything. They replied they had shot a fox. "Red or grey fox?" he asked. They said they didn't know so he said he would be able to tell them. When he looked in the trunk of their car, they had killed a German Shepherd. What idiots out there. I have had G. S. all my life and that tale certainly ruined my ride. I never asked if what they had planned to do with it, thinking they had a prize trophy.

rmh_rider
Jun. 16, 2012, 05:20 PM
Babies or adults, I detest EPM makers.

They are SO nasty. The 3 I have trapped were literally nasty to look at. Oh and they smelled too.

ICK.

Opus1
Jun. 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
So we named the moocher O. He grew fat and healthy on kitty food. Never left a mess in the barn and in the evenings when I called kitty kitty came running in the barn with the cats for dinner. Only O was not a he....O was a she.

Awww. :) I just read that out loud to a friend.

We had a nameless possum that hung around for about 2 winters when I was a kid. We first discovered him (her?) early one morning when my dad was leaving for work. He walked out to the car, bent over to pet the dog (and 2 cats curled up with him -- it was a pretty cold night for Ga.) and noticed another ball of fur.

He didn't mooch food (that we knew of) but we'd see him on those ungodly cold (below 30 :D ) nights curled up with everyone else.

witherbee
Jun. 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
Funny stories! I feel bad for them, so leave them alone when possible. That said, I am lucky to have 2 really good dogs that will dispatch possums or racoons if they come in the barn or on the property other than in the woods. We have a Hidden Fence for the dogs that keeps them out of the woods, so critters are safe there. My Chessie is the best and kills with one shake. The lab/hound has gotten almost as good, but occassionally needs an assist with racoons - she is mostly a squirell and mole hunter.

We did have a momma possum get run over by a car and killed in front of our property. Most of the babies she had with her were killed too (my poor hubby felt awful when he got them all off the road). We were in the barn and one of the babies was in one of the stalls and was injured and very small. We asked the Chessie to kill it because there was just nowhere to take it and it seemed kinder at the time. THe Chessie looked at us like "really?! You sure you want me to kill that?" I think she thought it might be a kitten (although she probably knew by smell that is wasn't). I normally tell them to stay away from any small critters. Sad even if it was the right thing at the time.

lolita1
Jun. 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
Really witherbee that is awful. Nice not.

Hinderella
Jun. 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Once upon a time, I was driving down the road and spotted a possum that had been hit by a car & killed. As I passed by, I spotted movement, so I went back. I found that possum was a momma, and there were three good sized babies who had been riding on her back, who had all survived. I put on long sleeves and gloves and scooped them up into a box I had in the truck.
I stopped off at a nearby vet's office to see if he had the number of a wildlife rehabber, and he practically took my head off, said they'd all have to be killed and tested for rabies, and I needed shots, etc. etc.

I backed out of there...slowly...See, I'm not an idiot, I took reasonable precautions and I'd had absolutely zero skin to skin contract with the little guys. Although they did try to wrap their little prehensile tails around my (gloved) fingers.

I checked with my sister, who's a wildlife biologist, but lives too far away to step in. Based on my description to her, she said the triplets were really old enough to get by on their own, and I could release them in a safe area. So I did, but I was almost sorry that I wasn't going to get the chance to care for them for a while.

Alex and Bodie's Mom
Jun. 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
We have possums all over and I think they're cute. I've raised one litter and tried to raise another baby that got lost -- the litter was older (momma got killed on the road) and I gave them to the wildlife center to release when they were ready. The other one was much smaller and very sweet -- he'd ride on my shoulder even. Unfortunately, I lost him. Still miss him.

Just an FYI: I read in Equus magazine a few months ago that barn cats can also carry EPM. It isn't just possums and other wildlife.

oliverreed
Jun. 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
My wonderful brother-in-law, a Southern boy, saw the fat possum that hangs around our bird feeder early one evening and yelled "What'll you all give me if I catch that possum?!?" I said "$100!" and man I never saw him run so fast in my life! He didn't catch the possum, though. I didn't realize they were normally slow, it sure ran that night.