PDA

View Full Version : fake tails for hunters?

daytimedrama
Feb. 14, 2002, 07:48 PM
My horse has a not so great tail, and i was thinking of buying him a fake tail. Is this not necessary for the hunters or Eq? Where would be the best place to buy one? The tricky thing is my horse is grey and his tail isn't prefectly white, so would I have to have one custom made. Is this a waste of my money, or is is better so that it will look like he has an ok tail?

~Christina~
"I don't patronize bunny rabbits!" -Heathers
*Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

daytimedrama
Feb. 14, 2002, 07:48 PM
My horse has a not so great tail, and i was thinking of buying him a fake tail. Is this not necessary for the hunters or Eq? Where would be the best place to buy one? The tricky thing is my horse is grey and his tail isn't prefectly white, so would I have to have one custom made. Is this a waste of my money, or is is better so that it will look like he has an ok tail?

~Christina~

daytimedrama
Feb. 14, 2002, 07:53 PM
I should say his tail isn't really horrible, but at my barn I'm surrounded by horses with awesome tails, so George is stating to get a complex. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

~Christina~

mwalshe
Feb. 14, 2002, 07:53 PM
Fake tails are illegal under USAEq rules I believe.

equrider
Feb. 14, 2002, 08:19 PM
the people that i work for used a fake tail on one of their horses in the equ and hunters at indio. Its totally legal to use one and makes horses with no tail look much better.

Bumpkin
Feb. 14, 2002, 08:23 PM
Are you back???
Hoopoe and I may be jaunting to BC and the Dog and Pony along with Maple Springs on Monday!!

"Have You Hugged Your Trainer Today?"

MsRidiculous
Feb. 14, 2002, 08:33 PM
I think fake tails look just that- FAKE.

-Amanda

"when angry, count four. When very angry, swear." Mark Twain

Peggy
Feb. 14, 2002, 08:42 PM
I think that they cost about $200?? My friend who braids charges an extra $5 or so to put them in when she does tails.

And, yes, I believe they are legal.

Risey27
Feb. 14, 2002, 08:51 PM
Hey personally i LOVE the fake tails and I have used them on my horse before...I actually like the fuller look and yes they do look fake but i think the horse looks more elegant that way!! and fake tails are NOT illegal LOL or TONS of people would be fined for doing this...

Mariah

AAJumper
Feb. 14, 2002, 08:53 PM
I think they look fake also, and just seem like they'd be a bigger hassle than they are worth.

visit www.victorianfarms.com (http://www.victorianfarms.com)

Jamie Taylor
Feb. 14, 2002, 09:05 PM
Ruby never had her tail braided cuz she would ring it, and it looked too skinny. One day we decided to do hunters at Menlo on her, and we borrowed a fake. Now I won't go without it. The tail (no one will believe me, unless you've seen it) made her go better. She had a very bouncy hind end, and the tail made it look flatter, which was very nice, because it was a little distracting. So, I am all for fake tails, in fact the majority of the hunters at our barn wear em, the majority of hunters out there wear them! They can look fake, but if you get a good one they don't! Most people don't think that Ruby's is fake....You just have to get one that doesn't make the tail HUGE, if it's too big, get your braider to thin it out, they can make sure that it looks ok.

Dooner
Feb. 14, 2002, 09:06 PM
So where do you get a good one?

akrogirl
Feb. 14, 2002, 09:09 PM
They are almost a requirement at the Paint shows it seems, and it is not uncommon for them to fall out in the ring /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I would be very careful about pursuing that option. BTW, I also think they tend to look fake.

Jamie Taylor
Feb. 14, 2002, 09:14 PM
You can get good ones from Champion Tails, but a lot of tack stores carry the basic colors now...grey shouldnt be tooo hard since most grey tails have enough different colors that they fit...We got my sisters hunter a new tail from Champion tails, and his tail is weird, they did a good job soo.....I dunno, Christina if you really want to know, IM me, I can tell ya where my mom got King's. Ruby's we bought off someone, because it was obviously good luck =) Hers is special, she is so redish brown that hers is black with some redish color in it....haha, but thats another story..

Bumpkin
Feb. 14, 2002, 09:23 PM
Since Elliot and Ruby are related, it sounds like they also have the same tail swishy thing going on.
I also hate his skimpy tail.
And I have thought perhaps that extra wt would make a difference.
He is a red bay like Ruby, but his tail is jet black. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

lmlacross
Feb. 14, 2002, 09:40 PM
George's tail looked great in the pic-- for what it's worth, that is!

LML

RumoursFollow
Feb. 14, 2002, 09:40 PM
at breed shows. EVERYONE uses them. Its like.. going to the ring without a bridle. (I was going to say underwear, but in light of certain threads..)

Anyway, just like anything else, fake tails vary greatly in price depending on the quality of the tail that you order.

Here are some links to sites that do tails. I ordered my paint's tail from the first one. And one the thing about how George's tail isnt white, none of them have white tails. So keep in mind that when they make white tails, they make them "horse white." lol. But I know that the first place will do custom and the 2nd place is all custom.

http://www.showhorsepromotions.com/hair.htm

http://www.judilovell.com/tails.html

http://www.loveequestrian.com

http://www.tailsbymary.com

Just like anything else, some of these will be better than others. But you can tell by looking at the site. I am quite satisfied with the tail I recieved from the first link. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-----------------------------
RumoursFollow
Ten Oaks Farm (http://www.geocities.com/tenoakssc/index.html)

geckoUBC
Feb. 14, 2002, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jamie Taylor:
We got my sisters hunter a new tail...QUOTE]

I just thought that sounded too funny, for some reason!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Aleesha

mwalshe
Feb. 15, 2002, 01:06 AM
hmm, why did i think these were illegal??

Were they in the past?

Mickee Shaw Stables
Feb. 15, 2002, 05:55 AM
I believe fake tails are illegal in hunter conformation and hunter breeding. (If you'd like I could go find the rule and be sure?)

As for looking fake, fake tails that cost $200 are going to look fake. Sometimes a blend of "not real" hair glued to a post.

A really nice tail that will look and feel natural because it is REAL HORSE HAIR would cost close to $800-$1000.

www.MickeeShawStables.com (http://www.MickeeShawStables.com)

ccr
Feb. 15, 2002, 06:19 AM
Fake tails can fall out and they can look fake -but usually that's a result of the person tying/putting the tail in. There are two types of a "fake" tail - a tail switch and having a tail hand tied in.

When tying a tail in, the person will take individual pieces of horse hair and tie them to individual pieces of your horse's tail. This takes a long time and cost a good amount - but if you take care of them properly, they last a long time and unless you pick through the tail, you wouldn't know the difference. Big thing here is care - you can't just run a comb through these tails - you need to use your fingers and pick the tail apart.

For the switches - there are several different types of tails out there - some are easier to tie in and look more natural than others. Most have some type of "knob" at the top with two braided horsehair ties. (I believe AQHA's rule is that you have tie horsehair to horsehair - I could be wrong, but that stands out in my mind for some reason) If you have a horse that has a really thin tail, these tails can be harder to "hide" - meaning it's hard to hide that knob at the top. There are some that have a knob with a hole in the middle and no ties. To tie these in, you simply braid a section of hair from deep in the center of the tail, run the braid through the hole so that the "knob" is right up against the dock of the horse's tail, then tie several knots in the braid. They used to have tails that had a leather piece at the top with ties. The hair was sewn onto this leather piece and then you wrapped that leather piece around the innermost portion of the tail and tied it in. I haven't seen those in a while. Don't tie the tails in where they hang to the ground or almost touch the ground - that's a common mistake that's made. If you do this, it's very easy for your horse to step on the tail and rip it out when backing up. We normally hang ours so that the bottom of the tail hangs at or just above the fetlocks.

Two good sources for tails -

A Bit More Tack in Raleigh, NC - has those with the hole in the top

Tami Thurston of Tails by Tami in Tarboro, NC - she used to make tails for a lot of the big QH guys, not sure if she's still doing it or not. She also used to tie tails in - again, not sure if she's still doing that.

knowonder
Feb. 15, 2002, 07:16 AM
As a hunter rider who also showed Saddlebreds for a while I can tell you that NO 5-gaited or 3-gaited shaky-tail goes in the ring without one. I think the "fake" look everyone is talking about has to do with the fact that we as a discipline are just kind of catching up to the trend of fake tails--I'm not really pro or con other than to say if you are going to do it, spend the money and the time to do it right. Otherwise it looks like someones 6 year old tied it in. Despite the things I didn't like about showing Saddlebreds (a whole diffent thread) I can say that their tails always looked gorgeous and they were 95% fake--it's just a matter of learning how to do it--best of luck! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JinxyFish313
Feb. 15, 2002, 07:42 AM
as for swishy tails..weight works but so does having the tail blocked b4 u show, my trainer did that w/my friend's horse for WIHS & it worked great, too bad didnt end up showing, lol

http://radiofinderizer.net/cgi-bin/columbia.cgi?sf=1&s=yes&u=infamous3136&a=Nas

Trooper
Feb. 15, 2002, 08:05 AM
I would be careful about blocking a tail, I believe that it is a rule violation.

Mickee Shaw Stables
Feb. 15, 2002, 08:08 AM
Blocking a tail is a rule violation. Not to mention that the blocks sometimes go bad and can offset a horses equilibrium or leave the tail at off angles.

www.MickeeShawStables.com (http://www.MickeeShawStables.com)

spoiledsweet
Feb. 15, 2002, 08:11 AM
Yes, I believe blocking is illegal. Check with the vet, but I think it can also cause permanent damage. Plus, the horse can't swish at flies, which is not pleasant for him, obviously.

As for fakes, if I were going to use one, I'd definitely have it hand-tied in. I boarded at a western barn, and they were experts at this! It might be easier to find someone to do it through western magazines/publications or a western tack shop.

As for fakes that aren't hand-tied in, I saw one fall off in the hack at pony finals once. No one would claim it! Pretty funny.

findeight
Feb. 15, 2002, 08:29 AM
Anything which alters the horse is illegal. Adding hair extensions to the tail is, in most cases, NOT viewed as altering just enhancing.
Sugical procedures to quiet a swishy tail, allow it to appear to come out lower on the hip or correct a crooked tail are altering therefore illegal.
Other things which fit this are other surgeries that change appearance(with the exception of correcting an injury like a notched ear)and altering the horse's color or markings. Meaning you can use color spray on already exsisting black points on a bay or buckskin but you can't paint them on if they are not there.
A very unusual lawsuit resulted from a Saddlebred mare owner who selected a Champion stallion based on his flashy white socks. Turned out they were painted on and nobody ever noticed.
Always carefully check your rules before you get too involved in these "enhancements" or you may cross the line.
Unfortunately illegal doesn't mean these things aren't done. Whoever mentioned the tail blocks backfiring into serious trouble was right.

A good reputation taking thousands of years to build can be destroyed in a few hours.

Rye
Feb. 15, 2002, 08:36 AM
For those of you who aren't familiar with northern lingo....translation...Yuck.

1. They look obvious and fake.
2. It smacks of "breed shows" which is par for the course if that it where are you showing, but not for regular USAEq shows.
3. What if the thing falls out while you are one course? That would be even funnier than someone's breeches splitting open! (which is pretty funny to see!)
4. Do you think a judge really cares about a horses tail appearance (other than wringing, and heavy swishing) when the horse is going around the course?

I'd work more on the horse's way of going around the course, than monkey around with worrying about his tail hair.

dareacres
Feb. 15, 2002, 09:06 AM
I don't like the fake tails. They are easy to spot and everytime I see one I watch the tail and not the round! It is distracting. I like the real deal! JMHO. Pam

TB4me2000
Feb. 15, 2002, 09:57 AM
I know that at some shows, they're illegal in halter classes.

Lonny'sMom
Feb. 15, 2002, 12:43 PM
The best fake tails are made by Seargents www.sergeantswestern.com (http://www.sergeantswestern.com) They custom make them to your specifications ie. what discipline you ride, height of horse, color, length of tailbone.

The kind with the knob on the top do look really fake, they also tend to get caught in-between your horses hind legs when he/she is moving (especially at the trot).

AQHA is hair to hair only, but you can use elastics to hold where you attach the fake tail hair to the horses real tail hair.

I used to use a fake tail when my horse was young and hadn't grown a good tail yet. I would recommend trying to get your horses tail to grow and thicken by doing the following:

Purchase (and use!) one of the polar fleece 3 tube braid in tail bags

Use Cowboy Magic Detangler and Shine after your wash your horses tail so it is easier to comb out

When combing, start by grabbing all of the tail hair at the bottom of the tail. Gently work a wide tooth comb through the hair, a small section at a time. If you feel the comb get caught, don't pull! - take the comb out of the hair and seperate the hairs with your fingers - then go back with the comb.

I have used this method and it works great. My horses tail is so thick, I can get both my hands around it and it is thick like that right down to the bottom!

~Lara

http://hometown.aol.com/larajerry/myhomepage/profile.html

JinxyFish313
Feb. 15, 2002, 12:54 PM
i dont kno about blocking being illegal, but its done all the time and as for permanent damage, watever type of block it was, the vet reccomended it and it was temporary

http://radiofinderizer.net/cgi-bin/columbia.cgi?sf=1&s=yes&u=infamous3136&a=Nas

Lonny'sMom
Feb. 15, 2002, 01:10 PM
Tail blocking *is* illegal. There was a big story in a mag last year about a horse that had a bad block, the vet, trainer and owner all are (or may have already) faced cruelty charges. It is strictly prohibited by AQHA (not sure what the USA Eq rules are, but usually on things like this they are along the same lines). The only problem being is that no one enforces this. Most of the time QH tails are blocked so they carry their tail flat against their hindquarters, and of course to stop any and all tail movement.

One benefit of using a tail extension is that if it is heavy enough (one pound or more) it will help hold your horses tail down a bit and keep it quite.

~Lara

daytimedrama
Feb. 15, 2002, 07:16 PM
ok so is a $200 tail really yucky looking b/c i could never spend $1000 just to mail George's tail look better. We are vain but not that vain!!

Can someone tell me what kind is better, switch, knobs, hair to hair, I'm soo comfused!!! Thanks!

~Christina~

RumoursFollow
Feb. 15, 2002, 07:45 PM
contrary to what some people have said, $200 tails are not yucky. Mine was bought from one of the places I linked you to, and it is made of ALL real horse hair and does not look any more fake than the rest of them.

RumoursFollow

WhittiMcD
Feb. 15, 2002, 07:55 PM
What is blocking a tail?

The One And Only: WhittiMcD

"Don't you ever wonder if you took a left instead of taking a right you could be somebody different"
~Dave Matthews

Jamie Taylor
Feb. 15, 2002, 08:45 PM
No, Ruby's was like 200ish or sumthin, and it looks good....I dunno, maybe they are cheaper now than they used to be...who knows? BTW...Bumpkin, Ruby's real tail is all black, but the red "highlights" look really good!

Atypical
Feb. 15, 2002, 08:53 PM
I couldn't bring myself to do it, get my horse a fake tail I mean. AS odd as it may sound, I've been completely weirded out by them ever since I was ten, the farm got in a new pony, and I was grooming him, a large section of his tail fell out in my hands. I just about freaked. It's fine, I'm just odd.

Finzean
Feb. 15, 2002, 08:56 PM
Around here (RumoursFollow pay attention since you haven't lived here very long!!) we guard the horses with really great tails. A few years back someone was sneaking into the barns/pastures and cutting the insides of our horse's tails out!!! You wouldn't notice right away because they would just grab the inner strands of hair and cut it out - half the tail would be gone.

It even happened at show grounds not far from here! Course, the law was called (becoming a victim of this environment) and there were posters all over town of these 3 horses' rumps with their newly banged (and I mean BANGED to where the bone ends!!) tails.

knowonder - have to laugh every time I hear the term shakey tails!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

There is no crying in baseball!!!

RumoursFollow
Feb. 15, 2002, 09:12 PM
That are reading this board- my horse has a HORRIBLE thin non exsistant tail!! Dont even bother going to the farm! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Actually Cisco has a great tail. blah.

Finzean did you get my message?

RumoursFollow

Bumpkin
Feb. 15, 2002, 10:13 PM
Ok Jamie, send her tail up for Elliot to try on, haha /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

I really wish I could try one before I spend all that money.
Do they send loaners or demo tails out? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Peggy
Feb. 15, 2002, 10:19 PM
My friend who had to buy the approx. $200 tail rides for a pretty fussy trainer. The tail looks quite good, just suspiciously full.

PONYPULR
Feb. 16, 2002, 06:20 AM
Just keep your horse's tail braided and in a sock. In about a year it will be on the ground. The trick, being patient. And always keeping it in the sock.

"I can't drive....55!!!!" Sammy Hagar

lmlacross
Feb. 16, 2002, 08:39 AM
This is so popular with morgans...I've always wondered why more HJ people don't braid their horses tails in socks during the off-season. It really is effective. Granted, it looks pretty awful, but the payoff is worth it.

LML

Bumpkin
Feb. 16, 2002, 08:44 AM
Awesome Elliot will never have his precious tail blocked.
I do want to pursue the fake tail route, and need to talk to Equrider and Jamie about theirs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Courtknee202
Feb. 16, 2002, 09:23 AM
Okay I have no suggestions on where to get fake tails, but instead of taking the easy way out why not try old fashioned hard work? My first horse had no tail at all. I did my research and started giving him bioton supplements and wrapped his tail up whenever I wasn't showing and sprayed it with Healthy Hair conditioner. The next year his tail was much longer and very thick and beautiful! Sure it may be a long wait but it's worth it when you see the new growth.

Bumpkin
Feb. 16, 2002, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately I have tried just about everything on Elliot with no results at all.
So did the owner before me who had wonderful grooms grooming and fawning over Elliot. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Weatherford
Feb. 16, 2002, 09:37 AM
Has anyone ever "permed" their horse's tail?

That is, braid it in small braids wet with dippity doo or something (that dates me... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif ) the night before, then, at the last minute, brush it out - yes, it comes out wavy - AND it gives the impression of a nice thick tail.

Bumpkin
Feb. 16, 2002, 09:43 AM
Ok I will explain the problem with Elliot's tail....bushy nice on top.
From the end of the dock down you have about 50 longish to hock ht scraggly, and I mean scraggly hairs.
First bought him, and thought, "no problem, I can work on this and it is going to be beautiful when it grows out".
Wrong the tail never grows out!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

I even made it a race with the Bumpkinette and her Poncho, Poncho won the race, Elliot's tail looked exactly the same after 8 months.

I give up. The top is braidable, but how awful with a few long hairs coming out the base of the braid.
Some WB huh??? hahaha
I still adore him though.

Bumpkin
Feb. 16, 2002, 09:50 AM
Actually the Bumpkinette does the braiding to the ends of Elliot's tail now.
She thinks it helps, I think it just looks, kinky scraggley /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Merry
Feb. 16, 2002, 10:10 AM
Yes, I have done the "perm thing" myself. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have a girlfriend who had a greenie that was ready to show, but that had a ridiculously short tail. She bought a fake tail at a cost of about $200. But you know what? It looked great.

There's a big, flashy chestnut that does the county show circuit out here. I've judged him a couple of times, and I'm always in love with this gorgeous horse and his flaxen mane and long, golden tail. Then guess what? At a show last weekend I saw him getting his fake tail attached back at the trailer! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I had no idea! It was kinda like finding out your favorite movie star wears a toupee. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

"You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at." -- The Sundance Kid

daytimedrama
Feb. 16, 2002, 12:09 PM
for awhile my friend and I had our horses' tails in socks, but my trainer hated it, b/c they would be in all the time, now I'm at a real barn, we are already so self conscious George couldn't wear a tail sock, he'd just die!! hehehe we would like a quick fix for shows.

~Christina~

findeight
Feb. 16, 2002, 02:02 PM
Alcohol or some deadening substance is injected into the base of the tail to kill the muscles there. It makes the tail lay flat and straight between the buttocks. A swishy tail is a minus in the hunters and a crooked one or high set one is a minus in any kind of conformation class.
The procedure is generally temporary and must be repeated. The injected solution can go astray and result in permanent paralysis of more then just those tail base muscles.
A more permanent (and still illegal but much safer)solution is a surgical "nick" very similar to what the Saddlebreds do. More permanent and less chance of screw up.
Illegal as all get out because it alters the horse's conformation. Still done.
Solution??????
Breeders please pay attention to these details and buyers gain the knowledge to spot this.
I can spot a blocked tail at 100 yards. Learn what to look for if you are buying, especially an AQHA where any sign of this results in yanked papers.
Could be a pretty expensive mistake nobody will admit to.

A good reputation taking thousands of years to build can be destroyed in a few hours.

Jamie Taylor
Feb. 16, 2002, 03:15 PM
Hey, I *think* at Champion Tails, you can order one, and if it isn't correct, send it back until it is. That's what we did with my sisters horse, because his tail is a "different" color so they sent us one back until it was correct!

daytimedrama
Feb. 16, 2002, 03:37 PM
Jamie- What kind of end does Ruby's tail or your sister's horse's tail have on it. Does Champion tails just have switches?

~Christina~

Bumpkin
Feb. 16, 2002, 03:40 PM
And I shall ask them for the special "Ruby Begonia Tail" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

daytimedrama
Feb. 16, 2002, 03:43 PM
omg there are so many different options.... someone is going to have to walk me through this

ahhh so many options (http://www.equusunlimited.com/Shop%20Factory/enter.html?target=HEALTH_zg_GROOMINGCHAMPION_TAILS .html)

single, double, triple?? (http://www.jilbadressage.com/championtails/index.asp)

~Christina~

daytimedrama
Feb. 16, 2002, 03:48 PM
oh sweet jesus.. If you didn't think thta there could be anyomore options...

more (http://www.championtails.com/TAILS.htm)

~Christina~

RumoursFollow
Feb. 16, 2002, 04:14 PM
the size (double single or triple) depends on how much help your horse's tail needs. Single is the thickness of a normal tail.. double is twice that.. and so on.

As for length, measure the length of your horse from the base of the tailbone to the point at which you want the tail to hit. That measurement is what you give them for the length... which they can use to decide on short medium or long.

When in doubt, order longer than you think you will need. you can always trim a tail, but one that is too short will never grow! lol

RumoursFollow

Queen Kiwi
Feb. 17, 2002, 11:57 AM
and I dont intend to ever use one. Yes, it can make a not so good tail look great... but my question is...

Its not the tail that is being judged is it?

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Gotta Love Those Chestnut Mares With Lots Of Chrome /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bumpkin
Feb. 17, 2002, 12:04 PM
A lovely tail just completes the picture.
Attitude and way of going is everything, in the Hunter ring.
So if a flowing tail makes a better whole picture then .....

knowonder
Feb. 18, 2002, 05:47 AM
Not only do I call them that now--I called them Shaky-tails while I was riding them. I even got my instructor to ride my hunter and jump some X's and admit it was a lot harder than it looked. But I also have to admit riding a shaky tail is also very difficult if you do it right without all the cruel action devices. To actually get that horse to perform at that level without devices is talent oriented--anyway--didn't want anyone to think I was making fun--I used that nickname at the saddlebred barn as well and everyone took it well--called us daisycutters /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Drifter
Feb. 18, 2002, 05:54 AM
My daughter's ex-children's hunter and now jr. hunter did not have and does not have now much of
a tail. Not sure why! He is cute and the tail
certainly did not do him justice and detracted from the total picture, so we got him a custom
fake tail, which unfortunately was stolen in Vermont. So we purchased a tail from a local
tack shop that works just fine. Finishes the total picture nicely. We couldn't do it without it. To my knowledge they are not illegal and sssooooo many hunters use them!!!

Dooner
Feb. 18, 2002, 01:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:
Ok I will explain the problem with Elliot's tail....bushy nice on top.
From the end of the dock down you have about 50 longish to hock ht scraggly, and I mean scraggly hairs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly my problem with tail socks etc. It seems if they are not really well taken care of, or if the horse's hair is naturally brittle, the stress of having the sock attached causes alot of hair to break off. So you are left with half a nice long tail, and half a short yearling tail.

Personally my tail theory is less is more, no gadgets, no combs only hand picked while my horse is drying from a bath.

As for fake tails being the easy way out, just like some people have really thin hair, some horses have really thin tails(the entire appaloosa breed). Some times it has nothing to do with care.

Blue Devil
Feb. 18, 2002, 01:20 PM
Just Saw This Thread

Fake tails can be a LIFE-SAVER. A kid at my barn tried a fairly well known (in this zone at least) pony a few years ago at a winter circuit. The groom walked the pony over and it's tail was in a mud knot. Or so we all thought. Turned out the pony's tail was torn off or eaten off or something drastic--he really didn't have one anymore. But you'd never know! The fake tail looked SO real that I had never known it was a fake tail until they told us (when our kid tried it) even after watching the pony go and win for many shows. Obviously the pony was not going to be pinning well in the pony hunters w/o a nice looking tail.

Anyways, it was funny...the trainer said (to my trainer, "he comes with the tail included..."

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

**~~Emily~~** proud
member of the junior clique!
Emily@catchride.com

spoiledsweet
Feb. 18, 2002, 01:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyways, it was funny...the trainer said (to my trainer, "he comes with the tail included..." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That is funny!

jumpsalot
Feb. 18, 2002, 06:15 PM
thin tail and it does not ever matter what you do, your horse will never have a thick beautiful tail. Speaking from personal experience.

Peggy
Feb. 18, 2002, 07:36 PM
When Cool lived in a paddock/stall combination with lots of places to catch a tail, I kept his tail in a tail bag. You would braid the end of the tail and then loop a velcro strap through the top of the braided part. It kept the tail from catching on stuff and also kept it from bleaching out. I haven't bagged it since he's lived in a box stall and it looks basically the same. Since he's a dressage horse, I periodically bang an inch or so off the end. This is a TB.

My favorite tail story was with a dressage horse that my trainer bought from a high-end dealer in Germany. Beautiful tail when they looked at him. When he got here, it turned out that his actual tail was a bit longer than his dock and pretty awful looking.

dareacres
Feb. 19, 2002, 08:26 AM
When I see horses with the fake tails I have noticed that the fake part doesn't flow with the natural part as the horse moves. It hangs and looks fake. One horse I was watching over fences seemed to drag the fake part over the rails. I thought, wow, if that tail freakishly wrapped around the pole like a bullwhip it could catch and drag down, freaking out the horse, but of course that never did happen. I just like the natural look. Someone posted about their WB not having a full tail. My filly is coming four and I have cut her tail twice already to keep it from touching the ground. It is beautiful but not thick. I am an older rider and I remember when tails were actually pulled to thin them out! The overly thick look was not considered beautiful in those days. Tails are a fashion statement I guess, LOL. I kind of miss the old "stick" tails because they really showed off the horses hind end. Pam

Lonny'sMom
Feb. 19, 2002, 10:08 AM
This is a picture of my horses tail. I kept it up in one of the polar fleece three tube tail wraps. This type of wrap does not go onto the tail bone, just the hair. You divide the hair into three sections, each section goes into a tube and then you braid the tubes together. Because the hair is protected in the tube and not braided hair to hair, the hairs do not break and if you put conditioner in the tail it stays there and keeps the tail nice and moisturized. We used a fake tail before my horse grew his own. I have used this type of tail wrap on several horses and all have grown thicker longer tails.

~Lara

Horsesense
Feb. 19, 2002, 10:52 AM
MollyK -- our appaloosa has a gorgeous gold and silver tail to go with his gorgous gold and silver mane. Not at all skinny or stringy.

daytimedrama
Feb. 23, 2002, 09:31 PM
well when I get some money I'm going to get George a tail, I think it owuld really help his confindence! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Thanks everyone for all hte great input and suggestions!!

~Christina~

DreamBigEq37
May. 8, 2002, 06:57 PM
He swishes his tail pretty bad, and before I had him he had a heavy fake tail which kept him from swishing and he placed much better. I am interested in getting one.. A few Q's for everyone.

1) Are the champion tails real horsehair??
2) They look like they (the champions) only make it thicker and not longer... is this true??
3) What brand would you consider the best one for real horsehair tails?
4) How do you make sure it's just sort of thick, and lots longer, and not so thick its fake like some of the QH tails?? My horse just needs a longer one.
5) My horse is a just turned 5 warmblood, will it grow more??

Here is a pic of his tail (i think at least!!)

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~

<3 Justice Served <3
<3 Nip N Tuck <3

"Riding is sort of like Nuts and Bolts- If the rider's nuts, then the horse bolts."

Did You Hug Your Horse Today?

http://www10.brinkster.com/dreambig37/db/home/Snoopy

J. Turner
May. 8, 2002, 07:17 PM
The saddlebred people at the barn said a nice fake tail costs $1,000!!!! The cut them off their retirees and sell them (or have one make and sue on their own).

"Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- Shakespeare

"Oh please don't go -- we'll eat you up, we love you so."
-- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
*** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
*** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***

May. 8, 2002, 07:24 PM
A lot of the ones that really look natural are custom made to the horses tail (color, length, etc) and are veryyyyy exspensive.

In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
And made me bold with strength in my Soul.
-Psalm 138:3

SBT
May. 8, 2002, 07:45 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Obviously they are made of real horsehair, but where do the manufacturers get it from? Slaughterhouses?? Rendering plants??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif
Hmm, now that I'm thinking about this, what about horsehair brushes? Where does THAT hair come from?

~Sara /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

stop4
May. 8, 2002, 07:54 PM
There was a horse I knew ofhat had a custom fake tail made out of hairs from Rox Dene and a couple other famouse hunters.... the braider went around and sniped other horses tails...

Marion
*Gregor* *Amalia*

May. 8, 2002, 08:02 PM
I heard they came from slaughter houses, not sure if thats true or not.

In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
And made me bold with strength in my Soul.
-Psalm 138:3

jubilee220
May. 8, 2002, 08:11 PM
at western tack stores, they do have offwhite tails. i will try and dig up the site for you. i think, that if george will feel more confident with a fake tail, go for it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif it also says "hey, i have a great horse, AND he has a great tail!" even tho most judges can tell when they have fake tails, they would say "wow, that horse sure has a nice looking tail!!!" but i would be wairy, they are VERY obvious if you have a horse that swishes his tail a lot, and make sure the fake tail isnt too long!! at 4-H state horse show one year, i watched a horse step on his own tail, and a chunk of it was hanging off, but as fate will have it, that pair took the class! goodluck!
-jubilee

nothing beats my pony!

SBT
May. 8, 2002, 08:12 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif If that's true, I'd sooner let my horse have a short, straggly tail than support the slaughter industry!
I wonder about rendering plants, too. After my mare was euthanized, that's where her body went. I couldn't bury her. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif It's nauseating to think there might be a show horse out there wearing her tail! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

~Sara /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

jubilee220
May. 8, 2002, 08:14 PM
not real hair- most are made out of nylon. like the stuff wigs are made out of. ( iknow some wigs are made out of real hair, and some tails probably are, too.)

nothing beats my pony!

SBT
May. 8, 2002, 08:20 PM
...I see you are from Schwenksville. I used to live there...1752 Schwenksville Rd., Shwenksville, PA, to be exact! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Where do you ride? E-mail me...I don't have IM. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
~Sara /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Dooner
May. 9, 2002, 01:06 PM
I know there are Apps out there who have nice tails. I was using the Appaloosa breed as an example of horses that tend to have a thin mane and tail. There had been several posts that give the impression that any horse can have a nice tail if you only follow this regimen, or use this product. If my generalization offended you I apologize.

DreamBigEq37
May. 18, 2002, 07:40 AM
He swishes his tail pretty bad, and before I had him he had a heavy fake tail which kept him from swishing and he placed much better. I am interested in getting one.. A few Q's for everyone.

2) They look like they (the champions) only make it thicker and not longer... is this true??
4) How do you make sure it's just sort of thick, and lots longer, and not so thick its fake like some of the QH tails?? My horse just needs a longer one.

Here is a pic of his tail (i think at least!!)

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~

<3 Justice Served <3
<3 Nip N Tuck <3

"Riding is sort of like Nuts and Bolts- If the rider's nuts, then the horse bolts."

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~

<3 Justice Served <3
<3 Nip N Tuck <3

RumoursFollow
May. 18, 2002, 12:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) I have no idea what the champion tails are so I cant help you there.
2) Again I dont know about champion tails, but most tails can be ordered in different lengths. My horses fake tail drug the ground when we got it (of course we cut some off) becasue we ordered the longest length just to be safe.
3) I bought my tail from here: Fake Tails (http://www.showhorsepromotions.com/hair.htm) and it is beautiful and real horse hair. It came with instructions on how to attach it, which made it very easy!
4) Its hard to say, It depends on the thickness of your horse's tail. I dont think my horse's tail looks fake on, but he's surrounded by other paints who have fake tails on that are as big or bigger than his. lol. I'm sure you could talk to the tail maker about the thickness if you had a concern, but I dont think they are all that thick anyway.
5) I would say that tails are just like your hair... they will always grow. The healthier you keep it, the thicker and nicer it will grow.

RumoursFollow

RumoursFollow
May. 18, 2002, 12:34 PM
its an excellent "tool" for horses that swish their tails. My horse carries his tail a little high sometimes (absolute cardinal sin of breed show land) and with the fake in, he always carries it flat. Thank God, lol.

Also- white will always be more expensive than other colored tails, well, if they're real hair anyway, because the hair is the hardest to find.

RumoursFollow

Chrissy
May. 18, 2002, 09:06 PM
at 4-H state horse show one year, i watched a horse step on his own tail, and a chunk of it was hanging off, but as fate will have it, that pair took the class! goodluck!
-jubilee

Heh, one year at state in my MODEL (conformation) class...
This chick with an App. (cute mare, had beaten my usually on top horse a couple of times) was doing her trot in front of the judge, and the horse stepped on the over-long fake tail...pulled it out...and still won the class. The second place winner ( actually, her MOM) put in an official complaint and got the ribbon revoked. All because fake tails are "discouraged"...I found that TERRIBLE. I have no problem with fake tails, and in that particular class the mare was the obvious winner (both the second place horse and mine(3rd) had unflattering trots and wiggly un-square horses.)
Maybe it would be different if it WASNT 4-H.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

We were good as married in my mind, but married in my mind's no good. -Weezer

Fiction
May. 18, 2002, 09:20 PM
The appy large I show has a very thin tail that goes to his hocks- thats it. But if we got him a fake tail, he just wouldn't look like the cutie app he is! He'd look like "Hey I'm an appy w/out a tail, but I have a fake one cuz I wanna fit in- sssshh"
Haha maybe you gotta see the pony to understand my weird thinkin! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

-----
This is not a true story
-----

DreamBigEq37
May. 19, 2002, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RumoursFollow:
its an excellent "tool" for horses that swish their tails. My horse carries his tail a little high sometimes (absolute cardinal sin of breed show land) and with the fake in, he always carries it flat. Thank God, lol.

-----------------------------<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for all your help!! You answered all my questions!! Yes, that's one of the biggest reasons we want to get him one, instead of just working on growing it (which we are doing also) because he swishes like the dickens!! He isn't grumpy or anything, he just does it out of concentration!! What a wierdo....

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~

<3 Justice Served <3
<3 Nip N Tuck <3

daytimedrama
Jun. 4, 2004, 08:29 PM
well a long time ago I posted this question....sadly I still haven't bought george a tail. Now his tail is mostly white, grey on the top but more white so what color should i buy? white, light grey? oh the decesions. This is important because we are now goign to do the AOs which are insanely competitive and I think George would like one to mak ehim fit in with all the other horses http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Madame Butterfly
Jun. 5, 2004, 07:10 AM
Fake tails can look beautiful is you buy a good one which is the correct color. Bevals has very nice ones. Remember, you get what you pay for. Cheap looks cheap, and so on. If your horses tail is a mixture of colors, let them know...take a sample...or send it. Yes, they can fall out...so your braider has to be extra efficient. Very strong yard & double tie for extra security. Yes, they are legal. Fake is only what you think is fake. And when did "au naturelle" become so great, huh?

RumpusRaiser
Jun. 5, 2004, 07:31 AM
Believe it or not, I bought one on eBay-it's perfect! Real horse hair (it's what it called a hide tail - it has no knob because the tail hair is still attached to hide and is braided right onto the dock), it's an exact color match, and the perfect length. The trick is not to buy one that makes it too full - that's obvious. My braider thinks it's amazing and wishes her other clients wouldn't use the knob topped ones

My horse carries it naturally, and because it's attached to the dock the hair moves the same way as his natural tail. We've been Champion at AA shows with it.

The best part - it was only $60.00
Check it out!

QueenMother
Jun. 5, 2004, 08:02 AM
DOes that mean it came from a dead horse?

RumpusRaiser
Jun. 5, 2004, 08:38 AM
I suppose it does.

cabby
Jun. 5, 2004, 08:44 AM
We have gotten 3 or 4 tails off of e-bay as well, and all of them have worked well. We had to get a tail for a bay (easy), a tail for a dark gray (hard), and a tail for a light gray (hard), but we found all of them at cheap prices, all real horse hair. If they come too thick, you can send them to tack shops to get thinned, or you can lightly thin it yourself. Also, make sure to angle the end so it does not appear banged.

sidesaddle
Jun. 5, 2004, 09:01 AM
I can't say which magazine, but one of the popular equestrian magazines is planning to run a story on fake tails. So you might want to wait to read it before buying.

Tails on ebay tend to be "hide tails" for the most part (some exceptions). I won't go in to the details of the hide tails -- trust me it is gross.

Champion Tails out of Australia are one of the primary distributors to the U.S. tack shops. However, they are not always real horse hair even though they say they are. I bought one (white) and it was plastic. They had sort of penciled thru where it said "real horse hair"... The tack shops mostly carry Champion Tails and they refunded my money because they thought the tails were misrepresented.

It took buying and returning a bunch of them to get a really nice one. It is true, you get what you pay for. They all seem to be around $300 and higher for custom.

After many months of looking, buying & returning, I got a very nice one from a contact on an elist for equestrian journalists.

Adelita
Jun. 5, 2004, 09:44 AM
Okay, so I have a question.

Those of you who use the tail bag with the three tubes that braid together, how the HECK do you get the three hair sections into those *&%^(* tubes?!?!?

I had one of those three-tube tail bags once, and I threw it away in disgust. No matter if the tail was wet, or dry, or slathered with conditioner, I couldn't get the sections through the tubes without it bunching, and getting messed up. (My mare has a very long, thick tail).

shrew
Jun. 5, 2004, 10:51 AM
If it's put in correctly, it looks fantastic. If it's put in bad you'd be better off with a bad tail.

daytimedrama
Jun. 5, 2004, 10:57 AM
okay so I have been looking and looking. I looked at the hide tails and although the idea is really gross the tails obviously look the most natural. ewwww though. Is it better to get a smaller tail, George would not look good with a huge huge tail. How do the pound correspond with full double triple etc.

RumpusRaiser
Jun. 5, 2004, 11:52 AM
Mine is one pound - it looks very natural - no one would say my horse has a glorious tail when I put it in, but neither does it look thin.

His natural tail goes down to his fetlocks, it's just thin and nondescript. I put the extension in to hang a little shorter than than his real tail - to make sure he doesn't step on it and rip out some of the natural tail.

With it in, his tail look great - full, and healthy, but not a huge tail to die for. When braided, the "flag" below the braid still looks full and not at all wispy like it does without the extension - I used to hate to have his tail braided - it looked silly.

If you buy one that's too heavy, you can always cut or pull hairs from it to thin it a bit and customize it. I would buy it longer than you may think you need though, you can always take some off the length, but can't make it longer! After you get it, put it in and trim from there.

Katie C. 16
Jun. 5, 2004, 12:52 PM
we use champion tails at my barn... my horse's tail is just a little short... so the fakey adds a nice little touch! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

korts
Jun. 5, 2004, 09:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adelita:
Okay, so I have a question.

Those of you who use the tail bag with the three tubes that braid together, how the HECK do you get the three hair sections into those *&%^(* tubes?!?!?

I had one of those three-tube tail bags once, and I threw it away in disgust. No matter if the tail was wet, or dry, or slathered with conditioner, I couldn't get the sections through the tubes without it bunching, and getting messed up. (My mare has a very long, thick tail). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need a giant pull-through. A wire coat hanger "squished" so that it is long and skinny would do. You stuff the pull-through up through the tube, and you gather the tube like you do when you are pulling on a stocking. Then you stick the tail portion through the pull-through, and there you are! No bunching or anything.

daytimedrama
Jun. 6, 2004, 09:20 PM
so hide tails? anyone use them on the hunter circuit? or usually just the ones with knobs?

HotPinkHorse04
Jun. 6, 2004, 10:21 PM
I love fake tails, especially on those congress horses, I am not western, but I love watching that app/qh/paint english pleasure classes, where all the horses have huge beautiful tails and they look very elegant!

http://community.webshots.com/user/hotpinkhorse04

Adelita
Jun. 6, 2004, 10:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by korts:

You need a giant pull-through. A wire coat hanger "squished" so that it is long and skinny would do. You stuff the pull-through up through the tube, and you gather the tube like you do when you are pulling on a stocking. Then you stick the tail portion through the pull-through, and there you are! No bunching or anything. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohhhhhhhh! That makes perfect sense! Thank you!

You should have seen me trying to do it without a pull-through. It was comical. I was NOT happy. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RumpusRaiser
Jun. 7, 2004, 06:33 AM
DTD - I show my hunter, local through A, in a hide tail.

KimPeterson
Jun. 7, 2004, 07:33 AM
I do piece by piece braided extension "additions" to the hair the night before the show, they look very natural and unless someone acutally fingers through to the base of the tail they would never know that the extra hair was added. Takes me about 2 hours to make a very nice full tail..but after braiding the mane it can be nerve racking so I only do it for bigger shows and the stallions.

zedcadjna
Jun. 7, 2004, 10:23 AM
I have a student who has a tail extention and we use it for the bigger shows, but she also has a Q.H trainer as she uses it for the Q.H shows too as her horse lost his tail last yr, due to her putting on a tail bag and leaving it ontoo tight..

daytimedrama
Jun. 7, 2004, 06:32 PM
so the tails on ebay actually look really nice. So should I go for hide tail or knob or what?

RumpusRaiser
Jun. 7, 2004, 07:56 PM
Well, of course I have the hide tail,and really like it - so you know my vote. We've compared it to several more expensivetails and it's just as nice.

Besides, at the eBay price you can afford to "go for it" It's not like it's a fortune.

Snowbird
Jun. 7, 2004, 10:03 PM
oh! for heaven's sake it's not a vanity parade it's a hunter performance division. Hunters are supposed to be able to at least look like they field hunt. Dress conservative, no beads no jewelry in the helmet and no garish colors and certainly no fake tails.