PDA

View Full Version : "new" truck doesn't fit trailer. ARGH!

awaywego
May. 15, 2012, 02:33 PM
"New" truck is a 2000 F250 (yes, my "new" is 12 years old! :lol:). Was all excited because it came with the gooseneck hitch and brake & light hook-ups, so very little set-up to switch out the trucks.

Or so I thought.....

OLD truck was a 1990 Chevy 1500. A few inches lower than the F250.

Took the trailer to the trailer place to have the hitch lowered to balance the trailer so it's not tipped up with the weight on the back 2 wheels and they can't lower it because the truck will be too high for the trailer (top sides of bed will hit bottom of gooseneck over any good bumps/ditches!). Trailer is a 90s Trailet 2 horse gooseneck that is perfect for my needs and I can't afford to replace (I bought a 12 year old "new" truck - need I say more about my budget? :no:)

Has anyone else had this problem? How is it remedied? PLEASE say some way other than different truck or trailer!

trubandloki
May. 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
I am not sure what year it started but Ford did make the sides of their truck beds higher and I remember reading it was a common problem with there being a conflict for people with GN trailers.

I do not know any remedies. Hopefully someone who actually dealt with it knows of some.

Ltc4h
May. 15, 2012, 03:26 PM
What type hitch ?
I've got turnover balls in;
1989 F350 2w crew cab
2004 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab
2010 Chevy 4500

The frame placement is the only thing different between the Ford & Chevys

Derby Lyn Farms
May. 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
I had that problem with my 1997 ford F350 and my gooseneck. My truck had a 2" body lift, and the trailer coupler had been shortened prior to me buying it. I warn you now, take off your tailgate when you haul or your trailer will do it for you. I had about 2" of clearance from my bed to the trailer. It was fine until I went up or down small inclines. Went up someones driveway one time and the trailer ripped the tailgate right off. I just had to make sure that I 1. had no tailgate on and 2. always go up and down slanted driveways as straight as possible, so when the gooseneck drops down it goes down where your tailgate would have been and not onto your bed rails.

elctrnc
May. 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
I am not sure what year it started but Ford did make the sides of their truck beds higher and I remember reading it was a common problem with there being a conflict for people with GN trailers.

Perhaps this is a problem with older trailers and newer Fords? I have had multiple late 2000s Ford trucks, 250 and 350, and multiple late 2000s gooseneck trailers (I traded-in a lot) and never had a problem. They did need to adjust the height of the gooseneck on the trailers through.

awaywego
May. 15, 2012, 03:58 PM
Gah! Don't want to rip the tailgate off!

I have noticed that it seems new trailers are all higher - now I'm seeing maybe WHY that is!

And not that I have the $$ to do this right now, but what about bigger tires on the trailer to raise it up a bit?

trubandloki
May. 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
Away, no ripping required to remove your tailgate on purpose. I should come off relatively easily.

awaywego
May. 15, 2012, 04:38 PM
Away, no ripping required to remove your tailgate on purpose. I should come off relatively easily.

lol, I hope so. I meant I better take it off before it gets ripped off :) The driver's side mirror is already nearly ripped off from forgetting how much farther it sticks out than on the old truck....I fear for the truck and trailer in its present state! :eek:

cutter99
May. 15, 2012, 04:51 PM
You need to have your trailer axles blocked to raise the height of the trailer. They can be blocked for either 2", 4" or 6", depending on how much room is needed for clearance. Any local trailer shop should be able to do this.

Fancy That
May. 15, 2012, 04:52 PM
you can get an extension on your coupler. But yes, take your tailgate off if it's that close.

You should have 6" of clearance above the bed rails - do you have that?

I have a 2000 F350 and a 1994 GN trailer and my clearance is JUST at the minimum.

You should be fine. Your trailer specialty shop should be able to help you.....they didn't give you any advise?

Frost
May. 15, 2012, 06:13 PM
Sorry, I am a bit confused. Did they lower the trailer coupler and it still doesn't have enough clearance? I am a bit surprised. Most goosenecks have pretty long couplers that can be lowered or raised according to the truck. I have a brand new F-150 with the really high bed and had no trouble lowering the coupler on my old trailer to give plenty of clearance.

If your coupler is indeed extended as far as it will go, then the extender for the coupler is a great idea. Good luck.

awaywego
May. 15, 2012, 08:39 PM
Got home and looked at everything again - realized removing the tailgate won't help because the gooseneck is the old square front style - so it's too close and will come down on the sides no matter what. Definitely do not have 6 inches clearance! :eek:

I did take it this weekend to my local trailer place for adjusting the brakes and to move the hitch, but since their only recommendation was to haul a second horse on it to change the balance, I also called DiBella (also local for me, and where I bought the trailer). They said same thing about the 2nd horse - not always practical! ;) (Naturally it also had me drooling over newer - and higher! - trailers on their website!)

Cutter - the axle thing you mentioned sounds like it might work. Also sounds like you're not too far from me in SE PA - do you know a place I could have that done?

Christa P
May. 15, 2012, 09:16 PM
I have a 2001 F350 that my mom had the rear end lowered. Take the truck to a shop and see about having this done - it might be that they can just remove a couple of blocks to lower the truck 2-3".

Christa

goodhors
May. 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
You need to have your trailer axles blocked to raise the height of the trailer. They can be blocked for either 2", 4" or 6", depending on how much room is needed for clearance. Any local trailer shop should be able to do this.

This was what was done by folks I know with older trailers and newer, taller trucks. They said it worked just fine, blocking up the trailer for the needed height, no issues caused by the change.

Nancy!
May. 15, 2012, 11:41 PM
We had to have our truck lowered like Christa P did. Probably about 2 to 3 inches and it is fine now. Trailer is level. They are making the trucks higher so they are no longer work trucks but toys.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
May. 16, 2012, 12:03 AM
Take the bed off the truck & put on a flat bed. Removing the tailgate never worked for me as what happens when you're turning & then hit the sides of the bed instead of the tailgate.

JRG
May. 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
Just a thought and I don't know what size tires and rims you have on your trailer, but could you go up in size on your rims? Might give you a little more wiggle room.

awaywego
May. 16, 2012, 09:04 AM
Can't take off the pick-up bed because it's used just as often as the truck is used for hauling. Smashing the sides is my real concern! :eek:

So it sounds like I need to either:

1) ask the trailer place about blocking the trailer axles to raise the trailer
or
2) ask my mechanic about lowering the truck.

I did think about putting bigger tires on the trailer to give it another inch or so, but the expense of 4 new tires when the ones on it now are still in very good condition seems crazy. Hopefully the other "fixes" won't cause too much $...I have no extra from having to buy a truck before I was ready!

And I thought getting this truck was going to make everything easier and better! :lol:

cutter99
May. 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
I would see if DiBella's can block the axles for you. They are a very reputable dealer. Other options would be Eby Trailers in Blue Ball- they manufacture so they can do the job. You can also check with Lanchester Trailer Sales in Atglen. They have a full service shop. Another option is Glick's Hitches on Hershey Avenue in Leola. Jim has done hitches and other custom jobs on my trailers and has always done EXCELLENT work at reasonable prices.

By blocking the axles, you'll level the trailer and put the weight evenly on both axles and all four tires. I wouldn't mess with the tires on either the truck or the trailer- it will be more expensive and could possibly create more problems.

Taking off the tailgate is not really a great fix bacause you still need the trailer to clear the bedrails when turning. I personally have never been able to get somewhere by just driving a straight line. When I pull a trailer down the road, I want to be able to go, stop, and turn in ANY situation- not just an optimum one! I am a woman who hauls alone 90% of the time and I want to do it without damaging my $45K truck or $40K trailer. Maybe I'm just picky...

Guilherme
May. 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
Take the bed off the truck & put on a flat bed. Removing the tailgate never worked for me as what happens when you're turning & then hit the sides of the bed instead of the tailgate.

Excellent suggestion.

G.

Watermark Farm
May. 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
Someone in our pony club had this happen with a new truck. They had the axles on the trailer blocked, and that solved the problem.

hosspuller
May. 16, 2012, 04:39 PM

A flat bed can have sides that insert into the stake pockets. Then you can use it just like an ordinary p/u. A flat bed can be had for a 1500 used... or better if you shop around on Craig's list. The p/u bed can be sold to recoup some of your costs.

Depending on your trailer, blocking increases the step up for the horses. Ramps are nice for this.

awaywego
May. 17, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hallelujah, Lanchester trailers can block the axles for $300-400....which sounds a whole lot better than the $800++ that Dibella quoted!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :D

lilitiger2
May. 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
Did you resolve this?

Raising the axles not a bad idea but you are raising the center of gravity if you do that.

I would not lower the hitch inside the bed, this will "increase" the height of the side and tailgate which will cause clearance problems. Did you already consider lowering the hitch on the trailer? This can be done by a good certified fabrication shop. By doing this, one won't be increasing the depth into the truck bed, only lowering the trailer hitch height so it could balance out.

Will look forward to hearing how this gets resolved! Frustrating to say the least!