PDA

View Full Version : Chubby, flubby, not-so-strong...do it for the horse!

Ellie Mae
May. 15, 2012, 08:09 AM
Anyone else struggling to get their body in line with the athleticism we expect and work toward with our horses? The more fit we are, the better we can feel and use seat bones, thigh muscles, etc. Why is it so darn hard to put the same energy into improving my conditioning as I do my horse's? Any inspiring stories floating out here in COTH-land?

carolprudm
May. 15, 2012, 08:14 AM
Constant issue for me and I'm not doing well at the moment.

My bad ankle restricts my cardio to the elliptical and it's taken a year for my repetitive stress injuries to both shoulders to heal. I should be able to go back to strength training in a month or so if I am careful.

After losing 30 lbs I've gained 10 back

paulaedwina
May. 15, 2012, 08:15 AM
Fella went into full training in March and I check in on the process on a regular basis. I realized pretty quickly that I have to be fit and strong too to keep up with him. Having had the opportunity to ride actual dressage horses, including one PSG schoolmaster (dressage horses, not school horses with lateral movement training) I realized just how much I would need to be in shape not to set him back.

So I put myself in training too. I joined Soldier Fit - a local hooah calisthenics group. I'm not trying to be skinny just strong. I needed wind and I needed strength.

Don't get me wrong; I didn't suddenly find the motivation to get up and go 3 to 4 days a week. That has been a process and it's like alcoholism or something; every day is a struggle. I just don't give up.

But you're right; what's the point of getting the horse fit if you're going to get in his way?

Paula

Aven
May. 15, 2012, 08:20 AM
I have lost 40 pounds (and many more to go) since Nov. I have always been strong, but have felt my weight negatively impacts my riding simply due to the number.

IME (and research) exercise plays a much smaller role in weight loss than diet. Exercise is still important for other reasons. (Personal example I took up running a couple of summers ago. I ran 4-8K 3-4 times a week. I ate sensibly and lost no weight. I did manage to do a 5K race, where I ended up smack dab in the middle of my age catagory..)

I hope to lose another 50 by next show season as I have been really enjoying getting back in the saddle this year.

paulaedwina
May. 15, 2012, 08:25 AM
For me it's definitely a lack of exercise. My eating habits are okay, but I am ridiculously sedentary. I go from being on the move all the time to days of sitting on my behind I'm afraid. So for me exercise will make me strong very fast. That's how it's happened in the past. I have those kinds of genes.

Paula

Wayside
May. 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
I was working with a personal trainer this winter. And I injured a knee, an elbow, and more recently, a shoulder. Maybe I'm really only "pasture sound" :lol:

Seriously, though, I have a lot of joint problems, and I think when (if) I'm ever uninjured enough to start up at the gym again, I'm going to ditch the personal trainer, and go slowly. Why those people feel the need to push, push, push even when I say "No really, I'm in pain, and it's NOT the good kind" I really don't understand. And I'm tired of trusting them, and then realizing I was right, and ending up in physical therapy for the millionth time.

So anyhow, the moral of my story is that it's great to get in better shape, but just like you wouldn't risk injuring your horse by asking too much too soon, you should show your body the same kind of consideration!

merrygoround
May. 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
Wayside-You needed a different personal trainer. Not to end the program.

carolprudm
May. 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
I was working with a personal trainer this winter. And I injured a knee, an elbow, and more recently, a shoulder. Maybe I'm really only "pasture sound" :lol:

Seriously, though, I have a lot of joint problems, and I think when (if) I'm ever uninjured enough to start up at the gym again, I'm going to ditch the personal trainer, and go slowly. Why those people feel the need to push, push, push even when I say "No really, I'm in pain, and it's NOT the good kind" I really don't understand. And I'm tired of trusting them, and then realizing I was right, and ending up in physical therapy for the millionth time.

So anyhow, the moral of my story is that it's great to get in better shape, but just like you wouldn't risk injuring your horse by asking too much too soon, you should show your body the same kind of consideration!

I need to remember this.

When I got a cortisone shot in my shoulder I asked the ortho if it was OK to stack hay the following day. He said "You do realize that that might be why you NEED the cortisone shot"

bluemooncowgirl
May. 15, 2012, 09:57 AM
Anyone else struggling to get their body in line with the athleticism we expect and work toward with our horses? The more fit we are, the better we can feel and use seat bones, thigh muscles, etc. Why is it so darn hard to put the same energy into improving my conditioning as I do my horse's? Any inspiring stories floating out here in COTH-land?

(winces with sore muscles to raise arm) Yep.

I took MrBlueMoon's horse, Scout, to a clinic on Sunday and realized a few things about myself. I should not expect Scout to attempt feats of greatness if I am huffing and puffing and struggling to keep my balance because my core isn't strong. It drove the point home for me that I need to work on ME to be a fitter rider even more than I need to work on Scout to face his fears of things that go "BUMP" around the arena.

rizzodm
May. 15, 2012, 10:19 AM
For me it's definitely a lack of exercise. My eating habits are okay, but I am ridiculously sedentary. I go from being on the move all the time to days of sitting on my behind I'm afraid. So for me exercise will make me strong very fast. That's how it's happened in the past. I have those kinds of genes.

Paula

This is me! I am a closet couch potato! I can accomplish many things quickly but can also park it for hours on end:no: I would love to find the balance and keep it.

paulaedwina
May. 15, 2012, 10:26 AM
I should modify that and say I can go from being on the move all the time to months of sitting on my behind I'm afraid. Balance...yeah I've heard of the term, but I'm not personally familiar with it. Working on that.:yes:

boosma47
May. 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
At 65, I suddenly realized that it ain't going to get better by doing the same old-same old lard ass inactivity/munchie gulping then expecting to ride somewhat competently. Add life stresses, and it makes everything that much harder.

I recently joined a gym for treadmill and Nautilus, and will soon be moving up to eliptical, and am watching diet. Just in this short time, while I still look like a fat lump on my horse, I find she is so much happier not having to compensate for my lack of support. That in itself is worth the effort to get moving.

She lives in a huge pasture and spends most of her time up top of a substantial hill, so I have to actually work to get her when she thinks I need to make an effort. Otherwise, she comes when she is called....most times ;P

The best bonus is that 1) I am stronger and more fit than I realized, 2) can push myself harder as a result, and 3) Working out can be FUN!

But I still am fat/blobby/ and have a long way to go.

AllWeatherGal
May. 15, 2012, 10:45 AM
At 65, I suddenly realized ...

Okay, I'm inspired.

Plus, my trainer's given me awful dismounted (core) exercises as homework and and has enlisted the help of my HUGE-moving leased horse to ensure that I do them!

Thoroughbred in Color
May. 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
I'm not trying to be skinny just strong. I needed wind and I needed strength.

But you're right; what's the point of getting the horse fit if you're going to get in his way?

Paula

:yes: A fit rider, large or small, is way better for the horse than an unfit one.

That being said, being out of any sort of exercise for a couple months last year due to a severe injury, I have been struggling ever since to get back into a routine. I was lucky that I didn't really gain any weight (amazing how being in pain all the time supresses the appetite), but I lost a ton of muscle. My horse entered full time training in April, and she is now much more fit than I am.

I see a lot of sweat and misery in my future :eek:, but it will all be worth it to be the rider my horse deserves.

Superminion
May. 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
Oh I love this thread!

I just (okay well 3 months ago now) had a baby, and I now use the word 'shape' somewhat loosely.

Finding the motivation and the time are killing me, but now that I see that you all are doing it, maybe I can too...

I can sleep when I'm dead right?

Wayside
May. 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Wayside-You needed a different personal trainer. Not to end the program.

Actually, I think I'm better off without one now that's I've gotten some good pointers about form. I'm a very stoic person who tends to push myself more than I should anyhow, so when you add a personal trainer egging me on, it's not pretty.

I'll go back to the gym when I'm done icing body parts, don't worry. I'll use the information I've learned, but ultimately I think I'll make better progress going slowly and not having to stop for injuries all the time.

bluemooncowgirl
May. 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
Oh I love this thread!

I just (okay well 3 months ago now) had a baby, and I now use the word 'shape' somewhat loosely.

Finding the motivation and the time are killing me, but now that I see that you all are doing it, maybe I can too...

I can sleep when I'm dead right?

Nah, just wait 'til the baby is a teenager. Then you can sleep!! I was soooo happy the day my son decided that sleeping was a good thing for him. Now that he's 13, I can't even BLAST him out of bed.

If you need motivation, I'll be your pen pal!:D

paulaedwina
May. 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
I'm soldier-fitting tomorrow, and on Friday I'm working on a farm, and on Saturday I'm scoring at Morven park.

So there!
Paula

Superminion
May. 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
Nah, just wait 'til the baby is a teenager. Then you can sleep!! I was soooo happy the day my son decided that sleeping was a good thing for him. Now that he's 13, I can't even BLAST him out of bed.

If you need motivation, I'll be your pen pal!:D

Can you feel my jealousy from here?

I haven't slept in 3 months it seems... although they say that working out is a better energy booster than coffee.

Griffin
May. 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
When I turned 60 I realized I needed to get fit and healthy for my young thoroughbred and to remain healthy into my retirement. Started working out on eliptical and treadmill and have recently added weights...Still chubby, but a lot less huffing and puffing in my lessons.

FraggleRock
May. 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
Not a dressage rider here but a big 'Like' for this thread!
I finally decided that if I can make my 21 yr old horse get back in shape and carry my butt around, I can get my 24 yr old self to lose some weight. Started on the tredmill today, went almost a mile and going to fource myself to do a whole mile tomorrow. I would like to lose about 15-20lbs and would then be at my ideal weight.

Antaeus
May. 15, 2012, 01:39 PM
At 65, I suddenly realized that it ain't going to get better by doing the same old-same old lard ass inactivity/munchie gulping then expecting to ride somewhat competently. Add life stresses, and it makes everything that much harder.
But I still am fat/blobby/ and have a long way to go.

This is me, too.
Over the past four years, I've had two shoulder surgeries, a broken ankle and foot, and knee surgery. Woodrow had a bout of laminitis and was then diagnosed IR. I transferred to a "turn around school" , as my school was closing. It turns out to be the worst intermediate school in our district, the stress level very high and morale very low. This year the site moved and we blended the two staffs - again. Repeat preceeding sentence!
At 65 it's harder for me to lose weight than ever. We started a weight loss challenge at work: First week I lost 1.5 lbs. I started feeding the horses and walking laps around the arena in the morning before work. The second week - back to my original weight!
I will keep working on my diet and doing more and more exercising so I won't burden my horse when I hop on, but it's damn HARD to stay motivated and not get depressed ( an order a pizza for dinner...).

nhwr
May. 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
I have been fit and I have been flabby. Fit is definitely better :lol:
After a wrecked knee, surgery and 6 months of PT, I got into the habit of going to the gym. The toughest part is getting through the front door. Seriously, I find it takes about 20-30 minutes of cardio (eliptical or treadmill w/ incline) 4 times a week to be in really good shape. I throw 20 minutes of yoga (and some light weights) in too because I love it. Having a properly programmed iPod really helps :yes:

It is not that hard to do and the pay offs are tremendous. I have more energy, I drink less wine for some strange reason and I sleep a lot better. All those things combine as positive influences for weight loss too.

NOMIOMI1
May. 15, 2012, 03:29 PM
What are you talking about? (Hides the cookies).

I am about to attempt a health coaching series... Wish me luck because no more morning pizza LOL

I lost all of the my baby weight but the holidays helped me put some of it back on and Im ready for a change.

My hubby says that riding doesnt count because my horse does all the work WITH me on its back LOL

I love him... But if he dissapears some day...

lawchick
May. 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
Yep. When I bought my new horse at the end of February, both my SO and trainer said (in a nice way), this horse is a lot more talented (and expensive) then your last horse so you need to step up your game in order to take advantage of that.

I've lost 15 pounds since then. I work out with a personal trainer once a week, do cardio twice a week, and ride at least 4 times a week (2 of them in lessons).

It's really taken my riding to a new level.:yes:

NotGrandPrixYet
May. 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
Pretend that you are in high school again. Remember when you didn't quit when you got a little tired? You didn't want your friends to think you crapper out dancing, so you sucked it up and danced all night. Or played tennis. Or ran 3 miles. Whatever. Push yourself. Remember, you won't build up if you just continue with the status quo.

paulaedwina
May. 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
The thing that keeps me working at it is Fella is getting so good. What a crime it would be to train him up and then be a sack of potatoes on his back. It would be like you're in DWTS and your partner is working his ass off and you're just meh.

Paula

Miichelle
May. 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
Love this thread! I started working out 3 weeks ago when I realized that there is no way I'm going to be able to ride my young (not so nice) gelding if I didn't do something. It's either sell him or get fit enough to ride him. I choose fit. :)

mojo7777
May. 15, 2012, 10:22 PM
Timely thread! I am about to turn sixty, and I realized that if I am going to stay safe (and ON my horse) I had better be as fit and athletic as possible. Weight has never been a problem, but I am just not as strong as I used to be. I have to ask people to open pickle jars for me, once a point of great pride popping those things open when others couldn't! So I found an amazing strength training class in my town that meets twice/week for an hour each time. It's fantastic! I'm really starting to feel a difference after only three weeks, and it's improving my riding. Between the dumbells, the elastic bands and the isometrics, my muscles are getting stronger, instead of the other way around. Highly recommended for those who are getting older, but have no intentions of stopping riding.

piccolopony
May. 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
This is also a timely thread for me. I am right in the middle of working on loosing some weight. I got the inspiration needed when I bought my 12.3 hand pony because even though she is very capable of carrying me now, I'm a short "average" sort of person, I would certainly prefer to be at least as athletic and thin as I am trying to make her.

I had lost 15 pounds so far but have been stuck now for a little while and reading this thread made me start counting calories and working a walk into my day again. I also made myself sign up for a schooling show in August and I have a goal of loosing at least another 15 Pounds by then. It is so nice to read stories about other people who are currently struggling but succeeding with this!

suzier444
May. 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
I have The Tomorrow Problem. As in, I'm going to get in shape and lose weight, Tomorrow. I'm at the very top end of healthy for my height, but am VERY small boned, so on me it is a lot of jiggle and I need to deal with it. I work out 1-2x per week not including riding, but it needs to be more like 3-5x to make a difference, as I'm one of those prone-toward-softness people for whom developing strength is a struggle. It feels almost hypocritical to me that I expect athleticism of the horses I ride, yet I take the easy way out for myself way too often.

I have successfully lost weight in the past and kept it off, but whenever I go through a very stressful or dramatic period at work, I gain weight. The things that help me are writing down everything I eat or using the online Weight Watchers program, weighing myself daily (I can't do once a week or I'll wait until the night before to behave myself,) and embarassingly enough, it helps me to maintain some kind of harmless crush on somebody at the gym. That's motivational enough to get me in the door, and once I'm there, I can count on myself to do a pretty kickass workout. It's all about getting there.

The other thing that helps motivate me, when I'm motivated, is the active desire to prove wrong all the people who think "riding isn't a sport/the horses do all the work." Looking like an athlete would help (which is not necessarily about weight, but condition -- I'm squishy, and if you had to guess my hobby, you'd probably think cupcake-making, not an athletic pursuit).

NotGrandPrixYet
May. 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
It will also help you get motivated if you audit a clinic with a BNT. Most of the riders will be fit and riding well.

Tonkafriend
May. 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
Oh, my, is this ever a great thread! Four years ago when I started riding my guy, my trainer strongly suggested I "drop a few" to make it easier for him as he was getting more fit. Well, I ended up dropping about 30 pounds, which was easier than I though it would be with a super-fast 25 min walk in the morning, and 30 mins of elliptical plus machines in the afternoon, and fewer glasses of wine. :) Trouble is, since then I've gotten complacent and less motivated, so the pounds are creeping back on. And I've got a bad case of "tomorrow" syndrome, too. Just feeling like I'm not the only one is a big nudge to get going. So I'll start "tomorrow", I promise!

SisterToSoreFoot
May. 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
I just completed my first 25K (15.5 miles) this past weekend. I lost 20 lbs by running, but it took a long time. However, the weightloss is permanent and easy to maintain with no dieting. Losing weight by running is a slow process and you eventually need to work up to running 4-6 days a week, year round, averaging over 20 miles per week and upping mileage/intensity periodically.

BUT, running is an awesome exercise that will definitely help you understand "gait mechanics" from the inside! My gait has changed from becoming more fit--I was once heavy on my feet and choppy. Now my "trot," such as it is, has some float and suspension. All from being fit. I run hills, which helps strengthen my "stifles" (knees) and so on.

I think being an athlete myself helps me understand what it feels like to do a workout--to push up a hill, to work with my stride, etc. This, in turn, helps me design my horse's work. Plus, being fit just gives me more energy for him--I can get more done in a day.

I highly recommend running. Even if you have never ran, are overweight, or think you're "not a runner," consider it. Running, like dressage, is just about training. You don't need talent or speed. Hook up with a local running group. We're a welcoming bunch, and we all started somewhere!

carolprudm
May. 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
I really enjoy this group
http://www.facebook.com/RidingLight

but yup, I have the tomorrow problem also.

But

DRUMROLL PLEASE

yesterday and today I woke up with no pain in my shoulders. It has taken a YEAR to be able to say that, so maybe tomorrow I will hop on the elliptical.

thatsnotme
May. 16, 2012, 10:51 PM
I am 45 and just started a fitness program 2 years ago. I bought a really nice young horse that deserved to be ridden better than I could-even after riding for 40 years. I started running. Slowly built up to 2 miles 3 times a week (and not very fast). After about 6 months I wanted to do more, so I started doing the same 2 miles 6 days a week. Several months after that I ran my first 5k, have since run a 10k and just signed up for a half marathon! I am now running that same 2 mile run, still slowly, 10-11 times a week-obviously sometimes I go twice a day. About 6 months ago I started juicing 1 meal a day. It seems expensive when you start it, but after you've been doing it for a while you can figure out what fruits and veggies give you the most juice for your $. It has gotten to where I crave my juice and cannot get through the day without it. I have a reasonable breakfast, juice for lunch and whatever I want for dinner. I love to cook, so 'dieting' is hard for me.
At my age, I have aches and pains. I ice anytime I feel even a tiny bit sore-usually its my knees. I have 1 shoulder that bothers me-alot. I do 3 reps of 10 with a 25# bar and that seems to help.
I have lost 26 pounds and gone from a size 14 to a size 6. I actually even have 1 pair of jeans that are 4's!! My riding has hugely improved. I had 1 clinician ask if I had been to Europe since the last time she saw me, my posture was so much stronger.
Everyone has to find what works for them. After probably 20 years of trying different diets and excersise programs/gyms/etc, I have finally made fitness a lifestyle. Its become part of my life that is as important as my riding.

quietann
May. 16, 2012, 10:55 PM
A couple of very small things:

A friend of mine who is an occupational therapist says that one very useful core strengthener is to not use one's hands or arms when sitting down in a chair or getting up from a chair. Obviously you want to be careful with rolling office chairs, but it's an interesting challenge. I will consider myself to be completely good at this when I (a very short person) can get into and out of my husband's HUGE Toyota Tundra without using my hands. (When he bought the truck, he'd negotiated a very good price, he and the dealer were about to sign the paperwork, and I piped up with "It needs a step or we're not buying." And the dealer got that even though the husband was buying the truck, the Little Wifey must be heeded! The dealership installed a step on each side of the truck for no extra charge.)

Another thing, if you work in an office, or anywhere with private bathrooms: do a few squats every time you take a bathroom break. Or lunges, or whatever exercise you can think of that works when you are in your work clothes.

nhwr
May. 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
Off to the gym :D

solara
May. 17, 2012, 11:44 AM
For anyone with joint problems (like me - bad hip and knee) I recommend finding a good, traditional martial art. Tai chi is amazing for strength training, and you'd be flabbergasted at how much your heart rate goes up, even when you're moving so slowly! Plus, most tai chi instructors I know are really good at helping you adjust movements/stances for any limitations you have, like my knee and hip. You WILL have legs and core muscles of steel. And now I can tell my left side from my right reliably, and am therefore much less accident prone and klutzy.

But be careful - don't go for MMA or jujitsu or something like that unless you KNOW they'll adapt for you, and you're willing to get hit. OTOH, something like judo or aikido WILL teach you to fall PROPERLY on instinct. And you learn some handy joint locks.

ETA: martial arts is how I'm training myself up for riding - I have some flexibility issues because of said hip problem, so I've chosen a martial art that DEMANDS flexibility, but it can be hard on the joints.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
May. 17, 2012, 12:53 PM
Well, my motivation was external to riding, i.e. I had some pretty freaking scary health news last year (and it's not that I was overweight or terribly out of shape, but...!). So it all started with nutrition (note I avoid the word "diet" as it's not about counting calories, but about putting plenty of nutrients into your body and avoiding any manufactured crap that's in all processed foods.) I literally am having 6-8 servings of fresh, organic fruits and veggies a day plus some whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, and cut out all added sugars. (It's advisable to work with a nutritionist to make sure you get the right balance of nutrients, there are lot of nuances you want to get correct.) That takes care of a HUGE chunk of the body's ability to be "in shape". Then I picked an exercise that I love, i.e. running, and added it into my weekly routine, i.e. I run a min. of 4 miles 3-4 days a week. (That also has the effect of greatly reducing my felt stress level!!) I'm in physical therapy (for the aftermath of said health problem) which includes Pilates, but I know I could do more for my core strengths, but nobody's perfect, right? So, long story short, my advice for anyone looking to get into better shape is to start with nutrition :D

paulaedwina
May. 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
I recently saw the movie "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" on Hulu and it was quite motivating. It's not like "Supersize Me" that leaves you feeling, "we're gonna die. We're all gonna diiiieeeee" :eek: Instead it gave me ideas and incentive.

One of the things it made me think about is that I am certainly not getting enough vegetables and too much sugar in my diet. I've been buying juices -not fruit juices, but basically liquified fruits and vegetables. I borrowed my friend's juicer (liquifier)and will commence consuming more vegetables! Buying the juice strikes me a bit more expensive than juicing myself.

Paula

suzier444
May. 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
Well, I am proud to say that I was inspired by this thread and I ran 3 miles this morning then did 30 minutes of pilates. Today's dieting attempt was...less successful. But progress is progress!!

carolprudm
May. 17, 2012, 10:08 PM
Well, I am proud to say that I was inspired by this thread and I ran 3 miles this morning then did 30 minutes of pilates. Today's dieting attempt was...less successful. But progress is progress!!
Cleaned 6 stalls, held Sophie for farrier, determined she is still as lame as ever, noticed the old cat I had been nursing look terrbile, took her to the vet, kidney failure, PTS

Stopped at Hardy's on the way home, cleaned the other 2 stalls.

NOMIOMI1
May. 17, 2012, 10:20 PM
I recently saw the movie "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" on Hulu and it was quite motivating. It's not like "Supersize Me" that leaves you feeling, "we're gonna die. We're all gonna diiiieeeee" :eek: Instead it gave me ideas and incentive.

One of the things it made me think about is that I am certainly not getting enough vegetables and too much sugar in my diet. I've been buying juices -not fruit juices, but basically liquified fruits and vegetables. I borrowed my friend's juicer (liquifier)and will commence consuming more vegetables! Buying the juice strikes me a bit more expensive than juicing myself.

Paula

We are all gonna die :lol::lol::lol:

So funny :)

I havnt done a darn thing but read these post and eat a philly sub... Um maybe this will inspire me to WATCH an episode of make it or break it on net flix (gymnastics), and eventually Ill get off the couch lol

Antaeus
May. 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
Two of us on the weight loss challenge at work got some bad news today, so we went out for ice cream at lunch. And we didn't give a damn that weigh-in is tomorow. :D

Nothing like emotional eating to sabotage the weight loss plans...:sigh:

paulaedwina
May. 17, 2012, 11:08 PM
Just start again tomorrow Antaeus. Behavior change involves a constant fluctuation between contemplation and action.

Nomiomi1, don't feel ahow (Trinidadian for bad), I haven't done a darned thing but be depressed about surviving the no paycheck for teacher month of June. Tomorrah is anutha day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB-vnc7zDhU

Paula

nhwr
May. 18, 2012, 09:03 AM
Falling off the wagon isn't a big deal, everyone does it.
It's getting back on that matters :yes:

I have EET (emotional eating tendencies) too but exercise really helps me keep that in check. I don't diet but I do try to stay close to the idea that if something had a mother or grew in the ground, I can eat it. The more processed something is from that concept the less of it I'll have.

I lost about 90 lbs 6 years ago and have kept most of it off.

Off to the gym again :cool:

catbird321
May. 18, 2012, 09:22 AM
This is the thread for me! I am so with you guys. I love the moral support. I esp liked Thatsnotme's post... I also bought a juicer and I love it. I need to get more exercise and stop eating chocolate and cheese and ice cream. My poor pony...

allpurpose
May. 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
LOVE THIS THREAD (she says sitting on the couch in my bathrobe with a cuppa and the dogs). I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in my desire to be fitter, stronger and lighter, and that others are having successes - and set backs - just like me! Hooray!

I have a real sugar addiction. Like I have to have my sugar every day. Lots of it, it seems. Any ideas for cravings crushers? I could use some help (old horses raises a hoof and says, "Please! Someone help her! It'll save my back). :yes:

lawchick
May. 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
I have good luck with substitutes. Frozen fruit bars are sweet. I'll also heat up an apple or pear in microwave, and sprinkle with Splenda and cinnamon. It often hits the spot.

Ellie Mae
May. 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
I lost nearly 60 lbs several years ago, was strong, muscular, lean, fit. I was running daily and that helped so much. My divorce and my own battle with EET "helped" me to gain 20 lbs back and lose my muscle and definition. I sometimes feel really angry at myself for letting that happen but come on now, it's crappy, but the emotional distress of that was ALOT to bear and I need to stop using that energy to say "dammit, self" and use it to say "fix it". Using my horse and riding is very powerful inspiration. I'm SO happy to see that this is helping others too!

nhwr
May. 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
Ellie Mae,【don't be mad at yourself】

Eating is a self-destructive stress buster but as coping mechanisms go, it's not the worst thing you could do and as you know it is fixable.

Get back on the wagon :)

MyssMyst
May. 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
I've gotten into aerial fitness and ballet, and it's done wonders for my weight and overall fitness.

My week looks something like this:

Monday:
Ride gelding and lesson horse, lunge the drafty.
Hour each of core, pole, and trapeze
Tues: Ballet and Flexibility, lunge both horses
Wed: Ride gelding (and lesson horse if time), lunge drafty
Thurs: Aerial Silks, flexibility, lunge both horses
Friday: Lunge drafty, ride gelding, light stretching
Saturday and Sunday: Ride gelding and lesson horse, lunge drafty
Depending on energy levels, throw in a p90x workout (usually core or yoga)

Realistically, I get a pretty tough workout on the silks, trapeze, and pole. It's nuts. It took my friend a good 6 months to talk me into pole, but it's huge for building upper body, core, and hip flexor/adductor strength.

KatieSlew
May. 22, 2012, 01:28 AM
I noticed over the past couple years how fat, out of shape and inflexible I had become. My riding was terrible!! I am short and have a fairly tall, large horse for my size who is also very green and very smart. I found after 6 months worth of lessons I was getting no where. Cleaned up my eating habits, and I started doing yoga at least once a day, every day. I was starting to notice life with my horse was getting a little easier. Now I am into my fourth week of doing P90x and working at the barn doing chores for eighteen horses as well as trying to ride at least 4 days a week. I have lost 25lbs of the 75 that I need to lose and life is so much easier. My horse does not evade me anywhere near as much, I can ride longer and I don't get out of breath anywhere near as easily. I think it is something I will have to keep up with for most of my life and this is just to ride my horse somewhat effectively. I have had the past week off due to being sick but my last ride on my horse this weekend proved that strength and flexibility are SO IMPORTANT for actually riding and my horse is happier I'm sure because I am not flopping nearly so much.

LetsGoSteady
May. 22, 2012, 02:09 AM
I am always trying to motivate myself to ride and stay fit (not that those are one and the same).

One thing is to consider vaguely what I spend and how I have oriented my life for this horse thing. The horse is at home now and I'm feeding & cleaning twice a day, paying through the nose for feed, yadda yadda yadda "get your ass on that horse" (the voice of reason).

A big motivator for fitness is the change in my lessons that occurs when my strength is more up to par. I used to think that my trainer just thought I was slow or untalented ;) But then I went on vacation with lots of hiking sightseeing, and once back, it was like I progressed magically. From embarrassingly remedial "heels down" to doing actual new work.

When I quit working in an office I found the unexpected benefit of getting stronger and more fit. Office culture frowns upon stretching and walking, so now I get up and MOVE as much as I want ~ every few hours (working from home). Another +10 to lessons. Strange but true!

Diet-wise, I could write a book but it wouldn't be very popular. Food is so emotional and cultural and ingrained. And if you really want to, you can find the science to point your way. I can say that I lost 35# without really exercising -- this was when I was at my 9-5 desk job and was sick and tired of having a few extra pounds. I didn't have time to exercise so I did a 180 change on my eating habits, and it worked. Slowly, safely and radiantly.

One more thing that keeps me going is daydreaming about my coach riding my horse. She is so fit and schooled and can break through his BS in a fraction of the time. She's only been on him once so this is total la la land, but I think about how fast she could do xyz with him, and how with greater fitness I could do that too.

bluemooncowgirl
May. 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
Come on over for some motivation and support!!

There's a group of us at www.myfitnesspal.com that use the tracking tools for food and exercise. It's a great site.

My username is the same there as it is here.

Mufffie
May. 22, 2012, 05:09 PM
Love this thread !!!

I need ideas from all of you on how to increase my endurance. Sometimes it seems I'm working harder than my horse and that is unacceptable.

I have thought about running but afraid I would not be able to zip my boots up around my calves ;O Would they increase that much?

What else can be done so I am not gasping for air after three laps outside the dressage court warming up?

Thanks all....what an inspiration all of you are !!!

Mufffie

paulaedwina
May. 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
So let's talk about self sabotage.

I joined SoldierFit about 3 weeks ago, went to one class, enjoyed it immensely and then proceeded not to go for about 3 weeks. This afternoon lazing on my bed listening to NPR I had this woman pretty much tell me to get my lazy ass out of bed and go to the 5:30 class. Went to the class -turned out it was 6:30 on Tuesdays so I had an hour to kill so I went to the organic store and bought some hearty vegetable soups.

Wouldn't you know it: had a blast. You come out of those classes high. So why oh why do I play this mind game where I deny myself the thing that makes me feel so good?

And Muffie; you want to increase your endurance, find a boot camp calisthenics kind of class to take. No kidding.

Sigh.
Paula

Satchel85
May. 22, 2012, 10:26 PM
Oh I'm so glad to read this thread! :) I'm a long time lurker and just recently started posting. Actually recently started re-riding, since I was horseless for quite awhile and just started leasing after several years off in February. My main problem is an auto-immune issue that is still undiagnosed, but I generally just refer it to it as RA since it's the closest to my symptoms. I'll have several good weeks in a row and then BAM half my body goes out again, whether it's upper half, lower half, right side, or left side. It's really annoying. Recently my shoulders magically sprained themselves (still can't figure out how THAT happened) and I have bursitis in my hip which will make my hamstring ridiculous tight and painful to walk, let alone attempting to mount.

I really enjoyed doing aerial stuff, but the studio I went to is just a smidge too far away to be reasonable, and now that I'm leasing a horse again I can't afford the classes. I enjoy yoga as well, but my wrists can't support me for the majority of the positions (plank, down dog, etc.) Jogging is WAY out of the story for me. So it's been difficult to find something I enjoy that will keep me in shape, and I have a ridiculous weakness for carbs. And I mean ridiculous weakness. I'll have to check out tai chi!

Tiffani B
May. 22, 2012, 10:43 PM
After realizing I no longer have ANY kind of balance for riding after putting on 20 pounds after selling my gelding in 2010, I signed on with a personal trainer two weeks ago. I'm already feeling "tighter" in my riding and am down about 5 pounds. I also added one bareback lesson a week to my routine, and hubby and I are now biking 1-2x a week. So I am hoping by the end of summer I'm at a healthier weight with a stronger core, and by the end of the year to be at my ideal weight with good endurance and strength. I'm not really looking at the scale too often, mostly going by how my clothes fit and how I feel, and even though some days it is HARD to force myself to the gym, I go anyways.

We did 3 hours of heavy gardening on Sunday morning in 90 degree heat, and I went to the gym Monday sore as hell. Normally I would have sat on my couch - but I went - and I did my normal workout and was PROUD of myself. That feeling is what keeps me going back, and hopefully as it gets easier I won't hate working out as much LOL!

Arizona DQ
May. 23, 2012, 02:42 PM
When I turned 60 I realized I needed to get fit and healthy for my young thoroughbred and to remain healthy into my retirement. Started working out on eliptical and treadmill and have recently added weights...Still chubby, but a lot less huffing and puffing in my lessons.

Uh - oh. that is right where I am..... I really need to increase my stamina......:no::no: and cut back on the huffing and puffing as well......

paulaedwina
May. 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
So I was laying on the floor of the indoor soccer arena yesterday evening with 80 or so of my closest friends :lol: doing flutter kicks at the end of my Soldierfit session and it occurred to me that the answer is that we have to fit play back into our schedules. We've been so busy becoming responsible adults that we've put aside childish things that would serve us well -especially those of us in the US where there is about 30% obesity and about 30% overweight (and that's a general statistic -the numbers are much scarier when you break down by demographics :eek:).

Calisthenics is essentially play. Run round the field, bear crawl across the field then drag this sack back the other way, tug of war, push ups, tossing medicine balls -all play. We need to remember how to play!

Paula

Arizona DQ
May. 23, 2012, 04:35 PM

I joined SoldierFit about 3 weeks ago, went to one class, enjoyed it immensely and then proceeded not to go for about 3 weeks. This afternoon lazing on my bed listening to NPR I had this woman pretty much tell me to get my lazy ass out of bed and go to the 5:30 class. Went to the class -turned out it was 6:30 on Tuesdays so I had an hour to kill so I went to the organic store and bought some hearty vegetable soups.

Wouldn't you know it: had a blast. You come out of those classes high. So why oh why do I play this mind game where I deny myself the thing that makes me feel so good?

And Muffie; you want to increase your endurance, find a boot camp calisthenics kind of class to take. No kidding.

Sigh.
Paula

Paula,

I wish I could tell you. I have been in the same boat for years!!!! I cannot tell you how many gyms I have joined, exercise equipment I have bought or DVDs I still have somewhere....... Someone else talked about the "Tomorrow" syndrome and I have that along with the sabatoge thing......At my advanced age of 60, it is not even about looking great, but rather being in shape and healthy.....

I learned years ago, that a stationary bike does not work if it is always covered in clothes.... (great place to hang bras though)....Exercise DVDs do not help if you never look at them and "Tomorrow" never comes.....

:no::no::no::no:

suzier444
May. 23, 2012, 06:38 PM

I do this too. It's inertia. A body in motion tends to stay in motion. A body that's slouching on the couch, watching TV and eating doritos tends to stay on the couch, watching TV and eating doritos. I'm actually having sort of a real-time argument with myself about this right this minute. I'm slouched in front of my computer, eating doritos, and I'm scheduled to go outside and run then do pilates 25 minutes from now. My body is fiercely trying to come up with any reason under the sun not to go, even though I KNOW I'll feel so proud of myself if I do.

The nice flip side of this, which I haven't experienced in a LONG time, is that once you get in a good long-standing exercise habit, it becomes easier to make yourself work out than to make yourself rest/NOT work out. I dimly recall this from about a decade ago.

paulaedwina
May. 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
Well I went for the second time today. Boy am I WEAK! Hopefully I'll go tomorrow. A body in motion stays in motion, a body at rest stays at rest. Suzier I hope you made at least some of your fitness goals today.

ETA: Met an eventer at Soldierfit today. He competes at prelim (I think that's what he said).

Paula

LarissaL
May. 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
There are a number of horse folks, in particular eventers that I can think of, doing Soldierfit :D That's a fantastic program and I would wholly encourage you to keep up with it and join in any extracurricular things they do too, great people! The results people get when they commit to it are phenomenal.

paulaedwina
May. 24, 2012, 10:16 AM
That's wild! I actually followed a fellow re-rider into Soldierfit -she rides western and the changes in her body just blew my mind. I'll stick with it.

Paula

LarissaL
May. 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
Do you go in Frederick? Is that Tammy or Irene? There are a lot of ladies at that location who have done TOTAL makeovers and impressed me so, so much!

DownYonder
May. 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
Zumba is a lot of fun and can be quite the workout for your legs and core and cardiovascular system. If you can't find a class nearby, the Zumba Exhilarate DVDs are pretty good. I have just started with Zumba, and I end up huffing and puffing and really feel it in my legs later on. :D

paulaedwina
May. 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
Do you go in Frederick? Is that Tammy or Irene? There are a lot of ladies at that location who have done TOTAL makeovers and impressed me so, so much!

I do go to Frederick for now. I'll probably switch to Hagerstown for the summer semester. Wendy is my re-rider friend who looks so amazing. Do you attend Frederick?

Paula

lemonpoppy
May. 29, 2012, 02:24 PM
I love this thread!

For those interested in running, I highly recommend couch-2-5k. Google it, it's a very user friendly plan for going from no running to being able to run a 5k. There's even an iPhone app now, I think.

Running has made a huge difference in my life, both in my physical health and my emotional health. For me, it just zaps stress and helps me sleep. And it's free!

After you finish C25K, check out Hal Higdon's programs for getting up to 10k, increasing your speed, lots of stuff. It's nice to have a game plan and a goal set out for you.

dalpal
May. 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
I've lost over 20 pounds in the past year....first by default. When I turned 40, my body suddenly said...you can forget dairy, junk, and sodas...no more, unless you want to hurt for the next few days.

Now I eat mostly white meat, vegetables, fruits and a little dark chocolate. Occasionally I will have bread. Absolutely no dairy, when I cut the dairy and diet sodas, the weight came off very easily.

Now I'm back into a size 6, went from 165 pounds down to 145. Still would like to lose another 10, but I feel pretty healthy where I am.

I run at least 3 miles a day, sometimes another 3 on the ellipitcal. I need to start lifting weights and plan to join the YMCA this summer.

I still ride, but my horse is in full training an hour and a half away (shooting for GP... :yes: ). So I need to keep in shape for those few rides that I get each month right now.

Now if anyone has any tricks for that layer of belly fat that says..Hell no, I'm not going anywhere, I don't care what you do. Without that damn layer, I would be a size 4. It is much better, but still there.

I need more core exercises...anyone have some simple core exercises that do not require equipment other than free weights?

NSRider
May. 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
I've just started back into a training regime after being off for longer than I've ever been. After moving across the country to a completely different type of environment, let alone community, I've been having a lot of trouble getting back into the training mentality I used to have. What I'm doing now is doing something that I like when I exercise. I LOVE books on tape (or on my ipod, etc.) so I'll go out for a walk and listen as I go, or hop on the stationary bike and go for 40 minutes. You don't always have to be completely out of energy at the end of it, or be hurting the next day to help your fitness and health. Being in pain the day after is a HUGE detriment for training. Would you train your horse that way? Do this, and then it hurts, but trust me it's good for you... no thanks! Take it slow and you'll notice that afterwards you'll be riding that endorphin high :)

Just keep going... just keep going... little rewards, and keep going!

SwampYankee
May. 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
For anyone with joint problems (like me - bad hip and knee) I recommend finding a good, traditional martial art. Tai chi is amazing for strength training, and you'd be flabbergasted at how much your heart rate goes up, even when you're moving so slowly! Plus, most tai chi instructors I know are really good at helping you adjust movements/stances for any limitations you have, like my knee and hip. You WILL have legs and core muscles of steel. And now I can tell my left side from my right reliably, and am therefore much less accident prone and klutzy.

But be careful - don't go for MMA or jujitsu or something like that unless you KNOW they'll adapt for you, and you're willing to get hit. OTOH, something like judo or aikido WILL teach you to fall PROPERLY on instinct. And you learn some handy joint locks.

ETA: martial arts is how I'm training myself up for riding - I have some flexibility issues because of said hip problem, so I've chosen a martial art that DEMANDS flexibility, but it can be hard on the joints.

I did exactly this back in 1998 in anticipation of once again riding babies--therefore needing good "bounce" powers. Chose "Shaolin Kempo" and never was sorry--great balance of martial skills, nothing outside a normal range of motion, wicked-good self-D and the breakfalls translate to riding!
Common style, multiple franchises everywhere so portable.
I went through black belt then; these days Japanese sword.

Must also say that if you do only one thing, STRETCH--a lot, especially if you're older or really want to get your leg long, down and around. Stretching and range of motion are THE big issues as everything tightens up from barn chores, running, etc. Non-ballistic, slow & easy, after warmup!

dghunter
May. 30, 2012, 11:40 AM
I lost about 20 pounds a year ago and then put it all back on plus more :( Now that school is out for summer I'm really hoping to start getting back in shape! I'm doing zumba, which is a blast, and 30 day shred. Between the two I hope I see some good results by the time school starts again in august! I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Ellie Mae
Jul. 6, 2012, 11:42 AM
I'm happy to report that I've lost 10 lbs. and toned up a whole lot since I started this post....back on the healthy lifestyle wagon and feeling great! I'm still not riding my horse but by the time he's ready for that I'll be strong and ready to work :)

Covergirl15
Jul. 7, 2012, 12:47 AM
I've struggled with my weight most of my life (and I'm not yet 18), but last year something clicked in my head and my competitive nature kicked in in this area. I became absolutely determined to do whatever it took to lose the weight, and I've gone from a size 12/14 to a 2/4 in a little over a year :) I wasn't always the healthiest about getting there (I would often just drink water instead of eating lunch at school and then would just eat breakfast and dinner), but by eating 1200-1400 calories a day and exercising anywhere from 1-2 hours 6 days a week doing cardio and pilates, the pounds started to fall off :) I love Cassey for pilates videos (http://blogilates.com) and for cardio I either run, turn up the music and dance/run/jump around, walk on the treadmill (fast pace plus a steep incline burns more calories than you would imagine!), or bike. I still have a layer of belly fat that I am struggling with, but I'm not giving up, and I've relaxed a little on the whole routine because I do want to enjoy life too ;)

ElisLove
Jul. 7, 2012, 01:11 AM
I am ridiculously unfit and inflexible for someone who's only 25! Honestly going up a couple flights of stairs and I am out of breath!! I eat bad and am far too sedentary. At one point in time I was going to the gym 3-5 times a week, and eating well and I lost 24 of the 40 pounds I want to lose and felt much more energetic and confident. I have now gained nearly everything back and feel tired, less confident, and just bad. I really want to get back into it, but it's hard. I did however start about 2 days ago to start eating better but I also really want to hit the gym (have one in my condo building!). Right now I am on a 6 day a week work schedule starting earlier and ending later than normal, then plus riding 5-6 times a week and I really am short on time and energy!! Once I get back to a regular 5 days a week, normal hours schedule it will be a bit easier.

Tonkafriend
Jul. 7, 2012, 09:02 AM
I'm happy to report that I've lost 10 lbs. and toned up a whole lot since I started this post....back on the healthy lifestyle wagon and feeling great! I'm still not riding my horse but by the time he's ready for that I'll be strong and ready to work :)

Congratulations! Thanks for the update--you're doing way better than I am :). I have started going to the gym for a quick elliptical/nautilus session before I head to the barn when I can fit it in. My schedule keeps getting sabotaged, though. Maybe I'm just not committed enough. I really feel better on the days when I make it to the gym, though.

piccolopony
Jul. 7, 2012, 04:34 PM
Thanks again for this thread OP! I've lost another eight pounds since I originally posted mainly through diet change. Now it's time to add more fitness to the mix. So far I've lost a total of 23 pounds and have about 30 more to go to get to my ideal weight. I continue to wish all of you luck!!!

ezduzit
Jul. 7, 2012, 05:15 PM
Love this thread. And LOVE hearing that there are so many over 60 riders. I turned 65 in May. I'm western pleasure.

When I got my horse I looked at saddles on line and saw that they weighed around 35 pounds. Adding that to my weight at the time made me really pity my poor horse.

I've lost 38 pounds...not quick but steady. And like Swamp Yankee says: stretching is SO important! I'm really pleased at how flexible I am. A friend once said "The call them the golden years. Wrong. They're the rusty years." We don't want to rust shut!

aWp
Jul. 8, 2012, 01:05 PM
Great to see this thread. I'm in my mid-40's, work at a barn 20-25 hours a week, caring for anywhere between 21 and 30 horses, and work three other jobs on top of that. I have a young gelding, who's now about 17 hands with a big strong stride. I work my butt off at the barn, and stay in shape with all the walking, lifting, and riding I do. I eat whatever I want, as I'm burning anywhere between 2,500-5,000 calories when working at the barn. Going to the gym, which I'd done for years, now bores me to tears, and I am in better shape these days than I ever was when running 5+ miles a day and lifting weights. My endurance is endless, and when I swam, I swam about a mile and a half, which was also great exercise, and for those of you coming back from injuries, it's a great non-stress-load way to work out.

Yes, I get sore some days, but the best cure is to go out and do it again. If I don't do any work for a couple of days, my back seizes up in spasms, and I have to do something to stay supple myself.

I know lots of people work 40-hour a week jobs, and then want to ride at the top of their game. I also teach lessons, and there is nothing more frustrating than seeing someone who is obviously out of shape blaming the horse for something their lack of fitness causes. So I applaud us all for working so hard! If I can stay in shape while working 3 jobs plus the barn job, so can you! Keep trying. And while you're at it, do what my trainer says, try harder!

AnEnglishRider
Jul. 8, 2012, 02:09 PM
When I first got my thoroughbred I lost 25 lbs, first because I was convinced I was too big for him, second because as he proved himself to be a better athlete than ever expected, I knew I had to work just as hard and be fitter in order to ride him better.

When said near and dear to my heart thoroughbred got incredibly sick, as in may never recover, the vet giving you the "prepare for the worst" speech, sick (so far he's still alive and doing great, thankfully), I gained ten pounds in like two weeks (I don't actually know how fast, I quit weighing myself working out or watching what I ate).

It's a lot harder to find the motivation to get back in shape when your previous motivation is now semi retired at 8 years old (he gotsick a week before his 8th birthday, and he's now getting a year off).
I'm still ahead on weight loss, but gaining back nearly half of what you lost is annoying... I have a gym membership and a borrowed horse, and I work 40 hour weeks in an understaffed kennel (now THAT is exercise... The kennel at max holds a little over 150 dogs, and we don't turn people away if we still have room... I close so I get to walk them all every night. One. By. One.).

My goal is to have lost this extra ten pounds plus a few more by the end of summer. My borrowed pony isn't as much fun or as motivating as my own horse was, especially since I'm not too big for him :lol: I think that horse could carry someone that weighs 100 lbs more than me and not blink, and I'm no lightweight complaining about gaining ten pounds. My eventual goal is to lose 45 lbs from the point I'm at now. But really fitness is more important than numbers for me.