PDA

View Full Version : How to keep cats off of your property?

SimpleSimon
May. 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
Not that I don't like cats. However, my neighbor has a large number of cats that roam freely all the time. And they end up over here frequently.

I've looked at these:
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

but wonder how well they'll work given that we're on a well.

Also, I've seen these:
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CatStop-Ultrasonic-Outdoor-Deterrent/dp/B0001A9TE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337045159&sr=8-1
but they seem to get mixed reviews.

Talking to the neighbor is out of the question.

We are on 5 acres which is fully fenced and we share about 200' of property line (double fenced - their's on the property line, our's just inside).

carolprudm
May. 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
dachshunds

ToTheNines
May. 14, 2012, 09:44 PM
I don't like wandering cats. They are killers of the wildlife. I trap them in have-a-heart traps, and if no collar, they go to animal control.

Donkaloosa
May. 15, 2012, 08:39 AM
In a relatively small area, citrus scent keeps them away. I put orange peels in my garden because a neighbor's sickly, scrawny, nasty tom cat keeps peeing there, and I could smell it in my house. I've been told that orange scented room spray, soap, or anything else with a citrus smell works.

Guilherme
May. 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
Trap them, put them into a suitable confinement with food and water, and then wait for the neighbor to show up. Give them back with a warning that the next time you're turning them over to Animcal Control or you humane society, as appropriate.

I understand the nature of cats. That does not excuse owners from the consequences of cats following their nature.

G.

CDE Driver
May. 15, 2012, 10:12 AM
I understand the nature of cats. That does not excuse owners from the consequences of cats following their nature. G.

Possibly the best line ever!

Ambitious Kate
May. 15, 2012, 10:36 AM
Really a dog in the yard would eventually get them to skirt the property, but possibly not entirely.

I would think a repeat offender should be trapped and held or turned over to animal control. If is was un-neutered and pissing on my property, I'd be really - pissed. I hate cat smell.

katarine
May. 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
The scarecrow works, but you can't keep cats off five acres with one or seven.

SimpleSimon
May. 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
Really a dog in the yard would eventually get them to skirt the property, but possibly not entirely.

This is actually the problem. I have two dogs. One does not do cats. Well, except as an appetizer - with fava beans (I am kidding - but how often do you get to incorporate Silence of the Lambs in a post?). The one that does not do cats views them as equivalent to a rodent. He actually doesn't eat the cats but does use up one of their nine lives. We don't have any cats as my husband is allergic to them. So the dog has never had the opportunity to be around them - except when these situations arise.

This also usually ends up as a vet bill for the dog because cats have filthy mouths that lead to abcesses.

Before any of you start asking "what about small children?" the dog is fine with small children (although I don't have any of those either).

The neighbor in question would not come seeking her cats at our place (at least not if we were at home). The animosity pre-dates the dog and subsequent dog/cat problems. If I trap the cats and take them to the shelter, I don't know that she'd think to go looking for them there...and she'd just replace them with a new crop. (there are plenty of coyotes, owls and moving vehicles which cause the cats to disappear too)

I am fortunate to live in an area where cat owners who allow their cats to roam are required to have their cats (1) spayed/neutered; (2) licensed (which these do not appear to be) and (3) request permission of the property owner of the property where the cat may cross (which she has, of course, not done and if she would we would expressly deny).

Thanks for all the tips so far - please keep them coming. I do actually care about the cats. And I love my dog.

Rockfish
May. 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
dachshunds

Sometimes not! A free-loader of a cat wandered into my place at the end of February and made himself at home. My doxies welcomed him with open paws-even let him have the dog bed! He's still here, but living in the barn, instead of my habitat, and "trying" to be a mouser.

wendy
May. 15, 2012, 01:20 PM
what kind of fencing do you have? could you electrify it so kitty doesn't try to climb it? or they sell these things: http://www.catfence.com/pictures.htm

how did your area manage to pass these laws? we need them everywhere.

I am fortunate to live in an area where cat owners who allow their cats to roam are required to have their cats (1) spayed/neutered; (2) licensed (which these do not appear to be) and (3) request permission of the property owner of the property where the cat may cross (which she has, of course, not done and if she would we would expressly deny).

Wandering loose cats are a big problem- nasty, destructive creatures, destroying wildlife, displacing native predators, spreading fun diseases like rabies. Even worse when loose cats start breeding and set up feral cat colonies. Some people even feed feral cats. They need to be removed, not encouraged.

I too at one point had to take matters into my own hands, and had to wipe out some cats using dogs and traps. Figured it was more humane than letting them slowly die from diseases/starvation, or being hit by a car, or sitting stressed in a cage at AC for a week before being PTS, and they HAD TO GO.
People who love cats don't let them wander around being nuisances.

sublimequine
May. 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
Buy a LOT of extremely expensive cat toys. Surround your entire property in them. I guarantee the cats won't come within a 10 mile radius of these toys.

Alternatively; cover your neighbor's property with cardboard boxes or the little rings on milk jug lids.

trubandloki
May. 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
Buy a LOT of extremely expensive cat toys. Surround your entire property in them. I guarantee the cats won't come within a 10 mile radius of these toys.

Alternatively; cover your neighbor's property with cardboard boxes or the little rings on milk jug lids.
ROFL!

So true.

Balls of used vet wrap is also a toy that should be tossed onto the neighbor's property.

SimpleSimon
May. 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
what kind of fencing do you have? could you electrify it so kitty doesn't try to climb it? or they sell these things: http://www.catfence.com/pictures.htm

how did your area manage to pass these laws? we need them everywhere.

We have no-climb mesh fencing with a top-rail which is made of a round 3-4" post. On the shared property line we have a strand of electric fence that is set to the inside of the fence about 2" above the top rail.

I don't know how the laws were passed. Frankly, for a county that is typically less-than-sensible in their thinking, I think these laws are amazingly sensible.

LOL! Love this idea. :yes:

Woodsperson
May. 15, 2012, 04:18 PM
I have a strange little dog that I can send your way. He will allow no cats on the property on penalty of death.