PDA

View Full Version : Spiders in the Trailer?

FLeventer
May. 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
Ok, so as I was taking the mats out of my horse trailer to clean them, a wolf spider about six inches across was waiting for me as I pulled up the mat. How it even fit in the space boggles my mind but I digress. I sprayed it and it died, but I have to wonder if I am the only one that deals with spiders in the horse trailer?

I use it once a week for lessons, park it on grass, and keep it open and closed depending. I feel I had less with my other trailer. Maybe because it had aluminum floors?

What can I do to keep them out? I just want them gone as I hate spiders.

2DogsFarm
May. 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
Well, there's your cardio for the day :eek:

Maybe get an insecticide spray and go over the trailer every time you open it?
They sell mint oil-based ones so you don't have to worry about poisons dripping onto horses.

My problem is yellowjackets.
In the gas hatch of my truck.
I drive it just 1-2 times a week to keep the battery charged, so don't add gas often and last time I did: Surprise!
I squirted a little gas on the one who was crawling around and used the gas nozzle to crush the nest.
Also had them take up lodging in the spare on my trailer - good thing I saw them before taking it out on the road!

I always check inside the trailer for nests before I load horses, but I never thought to check the spare.

Ambitious Kate
May. 14, 2012, 01:58 PM
I tend to vacume them out. Using a shop vac, then I can spray the container to really kill them because you know they are alive in there. Yes, its really really hard to vacume up spiders because you KNOW they are going past your hand in the tube, but you can get the webs, nests and egg cases this way, which is really important to keep them out. If you vacume regularly, like a couple times a week or so, eventually they won't really spend time going back in there. If you leave the space alone and unused, they tend to come back in.

Also, pay attention to where you are parking the trailer. For example, if you are putting it inside a machine shed which its self has alot of spiders, you can't really wonder about them settling in there. Under treas, in the tall grass? Keep the area around the trailer mowed and tree limbs cut back. And vacume, vacume. I really works to vacume.

wildlifer
May. 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Ummm, wolf spiders are harmless and eat a lot of bugs so you would have been better off gently sweeping him out and let him go about his way. He is not going to leap up and fang your carotid, I promise.

atr
May. 14, 2012, 02:24 PM
Thank you Wildlifer!

The Wolf Spider is your friend. I'll try very hard to "rehome" any I find in inappropriate places.

Fascinating the way they appear to change color to fit their background, too. I spent some time learning about them after the first one I saw nearly gave me a heart attack... understanding them better removed the fear for me.

You'll be hard pushed to keep spiders out of your trailer. I know I have to watch out for flies and yellow jackets in mine. For the flies, I'd be happy to have a wolf spider!

SuckerForHorses
May. 14, 2012, 04:49 PM
ICK! I don't really care what kind of spiders they are...I kill them. I am literally petrified of spiders, and will go into hyperventilation if one startles me or is on my person. Just reading this thread gave me goosebumps all over and makes my skin tingly.

I can't get over the fear...I don't know why, I HATE THEM. PERIOD.

That being said, I would go get someone else, like my wonderful boyfriend, to remove the nasty little creature because you WOULD NOT SEE ME GETTING THAT CLOSE TO ANY SPIDER! I woke him up at 5 AM two mornings in a row to get rid of spiders in the bathtub.

Sunnyhorse
May. 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
Spiders are the closest thing to a phobia I have, but wolf spiders get a pass -- we rehome them when we find them in the house and welcome them in the barn. Actually, the only spiders I make a point of killing are recluses and widows -- the rest are just doing their jobs and keeping the bugs in check.

MaybeMorgan
May. 15, 2012, 01:27 PM
I love spiders.

Mosey_2003
May. 15, 2012, 02:07 PM
He is not going to leap up and fang your carotid, I promise.

I do not believe you.

:lol:

wildlifer
May. 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
I do not believe you.

:lol:

ROFL, I will stake my career, my life, and my empty bank account (thanks, horses) on it.

Mosey_2003
May. 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
I once called my loader operator man, via CB radio, to the office for a "Spider!!!" He came on the fly, came running in, and I thought to myself, "Wow, this guy really cares about me..." Turns out, he thought I said, "Fire!!!" ROFLMAO

Nipntuck
May. 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
We name our spiders. My 15 year old daughter found a large wolf spider carrying a large egg case sitting under a piece of plywood (jump panel) on the edge of the arena several days ago. Now friend spider has what seems like a zillion babies on her back. DD checks her every evening and gives me a status report.

I find it so sad that so many people just kill critters they have irrational fears of.

2DogsFarm
May. 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
When I was a little girl if I saw a spider in my bedroom it was Daddy to the rescue!
Took me years before I figured out Dad would just go in, smack the wall and announce the deed done.
What-ev, it sure worked to get me to go back in there ;)

Since moving to the farm I have come to a working arrangement with the wolf spiders in my barn.
Some of whom look big enough to take the broom away from me if I so much as dare swing it in their direction.

They agree not to jump on me, I agree to let them keep the nests they build in my indoor...except the ones near the door latches where I have to reach on a regular basis.

Mosey_2003
May. 16, 2012, 03:24 PM
You didn't watch?!?!?! I supervise! I don't insist that the intruder be killed, it just must go outside, and far enough away so that I can pretend it will never find it's way back in.

Bacchus
May. 17, 2012, 10:48 AM
I like spiders, too. They are good and do good. As far as I know, only two in America can hurt you or your horses, and I doubt you'll find them in the average horse trailer. Just let them be:)

Yes, the name of my farm is Mirkwood. I pick up spiders and take them outside, even the fuzzy black ones, so that my husband, who is scared of spiders, doesn't kill them.

rodawn
May. 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
Ick. I'm arachnophobic.

One time when I was in college, a large 3-inch wolf spider was creeping along the bathroom window - so after I disengaged my heart from being implanted into the ceiling, and not having any other potential weapon in my hand except extra-strength hair spray (which was practically glue, but the only thing that worked on my heavy hair), I drenched the thing with hair spray. It promptly fell off the window in a heap at the bottom. And there I left it thinking I would get a friend to pry it out and throw it away for me.

Did I happen to mention I'm rather arachnophobic??

I thought for sure all those sticky chemicals in the spray would actually kill it.

But no...

The next time I saw it, it had managed to get itself all dried off and every single hair on its body had been stiffened upwards like a bad 1980s hairdo.

Seriously, it now looked twice as big as it first had. He now looked bigger, badder and meaner..........

and did I mention I am arachnophobic? I screamed like a little girl being chased by a boy toting a water balloon!

The neighbor came rushing over thinking I was being murdered... he looked at the now hair-sprayed big-haired thing and started to laugh, laughed even harder when he heard I had hair sprayed it. Thought it was hilarious. Me, not so much. He caught it and put it outside.

Did I mention how arachnophobic I am???????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mosey_2003
May. 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PaintPony
May. 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
I have no problem with bugs and am usually fine with squishing them or putting them outside.

One time in college some friends and I were at an outside cafe and there was a spider hanging from the umbrella over our table.

While all the other girls were squealing and moving to the other side of the table I made a big show of karate chopping the spider and flicking it away from the table. :D

About five minutes later I feel something sharp on my arm and look down at it.

I KID YOU NOT...it was the SAME spider and it had just bitten me. (it wasn't a poisonous one luckily - just a garden spider)

I swear if it could have spoken it would have been like "Oh yeah Beyotch? How do you like them apples?" :lol:

Moral of the story: don't piss off spiders. Apparently they hold a grudge! ;)

wildlifer
May. 19, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hahaha, PP, I have to laugh and ya can't really blame him for resenting his evicting. He was probably like "hey, I was trying to keep the mosquitoes and flies off your food and that's the thanks I get??!"

FLeventer
May. 20, 2012, 01:34 AM
Well usually when they are small I brush them out with a broom. This was a monster spider. I was pretty afraid and just flipped on it. I know the wolf spiders are not going to hurt me but when pulling up a mat and there this huge creature is, you get that shiver of eeeeeekkkkk!

We do happen to have a few widows and after a recluse bite last year left my boyfriend out of work for a couple of days with a rotting hand I get quite nervous around spiders. I can deal with the snakes and bugs but the spiders get me. I banished the roaches and ants in the trailer but the spiders remian.

I will try the mint based stuff if I can find it. I'm parked in grass by the fenceline so they might be finding a home that way. Just moved to a new barn for the summer and noticed the increase!

wildlifer
May. 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm with you on the recluses -- I always worry about them. I like spiders, but I can't say I'm thrilled when one crawls up my arm, it is rapidly ejected. However, like a good biology girl, I mostly send them on their way. The widows worry me less because they are very easy to recognize and I just don't stick my hand into dark places without checking.