PDA

View Full Version : How about a chipmunk deterrent?

mickeydoodle
May. 13, 2012, 09:11 PM
I am an animal lover, but this stupid chipmunk is getting on my last nerve. Last year he/she would take one bite out of a tomato in my raised bed gardens, then move on to the next, next, and so on. So that was bad enough, losing about 1/3 of my crop this way but this year he/she is digging zillions of tunnels behind my new very $$$$$ retaining wall around the raised bed gardens. I bought many repellent products, most recently a $30 bag of "Repells All" that the thing laughs at. It also has laughed at the small animal trap that I have baited with many tasty tidbits.

Help!:confused:

ljcfoh
May. 13, 2012, 09:59 PM
I am an animal lover, but this stupid chipmunk is getting on my last nerve. Last year he/she would take one bite out of a tomato in my raised bed gardens, then move on to the next, next, and so on. So that was bad enough, losing about 1/3 of my crop this way but this year he/she is digging zillions of tunnels behind my new very $$$$$ retaining wall around the raised bed gardens. I bought many repellent products, most recently a $30 bag of "Repells All" that the thing laughs at. It also has laughed at the small animal trap that I have baited with many tasty tidbits.

Help!:confused:

Cat or a Jack Russell would probably solve that. (Sorry probably not what you were looking for).

Alagirl
May. 13, 2012, 10:04 PM
If I would not miss her, I'd loan you my cat.

Last week I had to let the 2nd Chippy out of the house she had invited over for dinner....

Not counting the ones who accepted the invitation without my knowledge.... :dead:

mickeydoodle
May. 14, 2012, 09:57 PM
Just found a huge new hole in my retaining wall tonight!!!!!!!

Ok, I really do not want to kill any creature, but has anyone tried the method of the 5 gallon bucket half filled with water- i saw a video on youtube when I googled chipmunks. You put the bucket out, put a plank up to the rim, and sprinkle bird seed on the plank and in the water????????

It makes me cringe, but this retaining wall is really important in holding up the landscape, preventing the hill from falling down, and was really expensive (over $10,000.00!!!!!!!!!!!!)

macmtn
May. 16, 2012, 09:44 PM
Had the 300 Chipmunks from hell here last year. They were Everywhere. Could not go out thehouse without getting screamed at that I was in Their territory and actually had a couple that would stand their ground and dare me to go toe to toe with them. We used to have a stray cat that made the rounds and kept the population at least under control but 2 years ago he got killed on the road. The rodent population went nuts and my garden took major hits. Last fall I gave up and laid rat poison down in the tiny areas where they lived, trying to keep it where the rest of nature would not get to it. This spring...AMAZING!!! No rodents. No chipmunks. NONE. At. all...none in the garden rock wall. None in my repair shop!! (I had to put it in the drop ceiling where they decided it was a great place to live.) None in my basement. I am not a killer by nature but enuf was enuf..I was no longer willing to share. I used the super kills-rats-in-one-feeding stuff. And will do it again if the ravening hordes return..

SmartAlex
May. 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
Rat Traps.

Observe munk behavior and place accordingly. You don't even have to bait the trap. Just put it on munk highway... usually along the side of a building or something. They stick pretty close to shelter as they scope out your garden.

Oh, and if you plan on catching volumes of them this way (we caught 9 in 2 weeks with one well placed trap) call around to the vet hospitals and see if they do wild bird rescue. My sister works for a vet who takes in eagles and hawks etc and they love having a freezer full of chipmunks. Might as well not waste them.