PDA

View Full Version : Dressage shows can be fun!

Blume Farm
May. 13, 2012, 06:44 PM
I just wanted to post this since recently there have been a few threads discussing the negatives of dressage shows. I just got back from a 3 day show in Pinehurst, NC. This show is always so well run and was again this year. They host a FABULOUS dinner party for the contestants on Friday night with fantastic food and fun raffle prizes. My friend and I sat at a table with a bunch of folks we didn't know and met some super nice people. The atmostphere is always jovial.

On Sat I had a disasterous morning ride achieving my lowest score ever (I think even lowest for the entire show!) as my mare decided there was some sort of evil killer beast at A, stopped dead, froze and then backed up from F to X. We all decided to name that ride my "non-musical freestyle" with a new second level movement of halt, immobility, and then rein back from F to X. Thankfully we went on to the afternoon ride and got our highest score yet at second level a 66%. Yeah!!!

My friend then got rung out of her PSG class b/c the judge felt her horse was lame. They had a beautiful warm up (we all watched as this was their PSG debut) so of course we all grumbled our was back to the barn. She untacked her horse and trotted him up and down the road outside the barn thinking the judge must be blind, but turned out he WAS lame. Literally injured himself from warm up to show ring:( Good news is vet feels he'll be fine. My friend felt so bad that she mentally had negative thoughts about the judge that at the end of the day she sought her out to thank her for ringing her out of the ring. The judge was so nice (and shocked that she was being thanked) and told my friend thank you as she was worried about her horse and now could sleep that night. They actually shed a tear! It was such a nice gesture on both their parts that the show organizer gave my friend a gorgeous double bridle and called it the "Showmanship Award"!!! How great is that! The bridle was generously donated by Mobile Horse Supply that was set up at the show (a great store by the way, bought a bunch of stuff from her this weekend. She has an ebay store too, great prices! Just thought I should give a shameless plug to her:))

It was such a nice weekend, mother nature gave us great weather, super people, lots of laughs, REALLY nice horses and riders, well organized, fantastic prizes for first place winners, great showgrounds, good food (and wine was flowing!) and great sportsmanship. There really are a lot of great people in dressage and at the shows....at least in our area! Maybe you all need to come to central NC (well, just all the nice positive folks anyway)!

I thought we could all use a little positive dressage show thread!

Aven
May. 13, 2012, 06:48 PM
That does sound like a good time. What a touching story about your friend thanking the judge. That's awesome.

I haven't showed in years, but here's hoping that next year I shall be joining the ranks again :D

Sancudo
May. 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
You beat me too it! I was going to post about how much I love showing after my show this weekend . . . also at Pinehurst!

I took two, my lease horse at 3rd level, and my own OTTB at training and first.

Lease horse, E, got his last qualifying score for Champs at 3rd, and today pulled a 2nd place in a open class against 11 riders at 3rd 3. Couldn't be prouder at only our 2nd show together, and just my 2nd time riding 3rd 3 in my life.

But it was my own OTTB Bennie, who I almost did not bring because I thought he'd not be competitive at this caliber of show, and this only his second dressage show ever, that made my weekend.

On saturday afternoon, in the biggest class of the weekend (23 riders!), he put together a nearly perfectly accurate test. Not flashy, but exceptionally correct. His only bobble was a stumble in the canter to trot trans that made us one stride late past X.

He WON the amateur division!!! With a 69.7! Unbelievable of my geeky racehorse. Goes to show that good training CAN win out over fancy movers any given day.

He also won High Score Non-WB, and we got a gift certificate and a painting.

Great show, and the weather was perfect.

NOMIOMI1
May. 13, 2012, 09:03 PM
That is how it should be done :) thank you for reminding everyone how awesome some of the people are in this sport :)

I love this story!

Blume Farm
May. 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
You beat me too it! I was going to post about how much I love showing after my show this weekend . . . also at Pinehurst!

I took two, my lease horse at 3rd level, and my own OTTB at training and first.

Lease horse, E, got his last qualifying score for Champs at 3rd, and today pulled a 2nd place in a open class against 11 riders at 3rd 3. Couldn't be prouder at only our 2nd show together, and just my 2nd time riding 3rd 3 in my life.

But it was my own OTTB Bennie, who I almost did not bring because I thought he'd not be competitive at this caliber of show, and this only his second dressage show ever, that made my weekend.

On saturday afternoon, in the biggest class of the weekend (23 riders!), he put together a nearly perfectly accurate test. Not flashy, but exceptionally correct. His only bobble was a stumble in the canter to trot trans that made us one stride late past X.

He WON the amateur division!!! With a 69.7! Unbelievable of my geeky racehorse. Goes to show that good training CAN win out over fancy movers any given day.

He also won High Score Non-WB, and we got a gift certificate and a painting.

Great show, and the weather was perfect.

Congrats! Sounds like you had a super successful weekend. It really is a great venue.

DangerHorse
May. 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a great time! I'm jealous. I was supposed to go to my first Dressage show last weekend, but my horse came up lame :mad: Go figure...

But, you have to have atleast one picture to post?? :winkgrin: Come on!

RidingTheCenterline
May. 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm new here (well, first time commenting anyway), so thanks for starting this thread. My first comments!

I just wanted to say thanks for a positive post. And SOOOO glad you enjoyed Pinehurst. I'm a NC resident...always good to see North Carolina showing well!

And I agree with DangerHorse -- pictures please!

Rhiannonjk
May. 14, 2012, 05:05 PM
I have been waiting for this thread to get started. I love my NC show buddies, and I can't wait to have my guy ready to go places, like Pinehurst, to show with all the cool people around here.

Here's to keeping it positive!

Sancudo
May. 14, 2012, 09:02 PM
Pro photos:

http://www.wncphoto.com/dish2012/047.dish/

That's my TB, during his winning ride at Training 3.

The last pic is my favorite- I have a huge grin and a big pat, because I knew we did the absolute best that we could do.

I wish he didn't bleach out his tail so easily . . . his forelock is blond right now. He's such a bright bay, and would look so much better with a black mane and tail, haha.

PiaffePlease
May. 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
Great story! Hopefully someday soon Ill be able to show there, it sounds really nice.

DangerHorse
May. 14, 2012, 11:52 PM
Sancudo, great pics!!!

netg
May. 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
Pro photos:

http://www.wncphoto.com/dish2012/047.dish/

That's my TB, during his winning ride at Training 3.

The last pic is my favorite- I have a huge grin and a big pat, because I knew we did the absolute best that we could do.

I wish he didn't bleach out his tail so easily . . . his forelock is blond right now. He's such a bright bay, and would look so much better with a black mane and tail, haha.

Lovely!

I was struck by how he was a nice horse, but also how he looked as if everything were working correctly. Congrats!