PDA

View Full Version : Big move to the south east- help on location!!

BKDressage
May. 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Husband getting transferred to the east coast. We have the choice of moving to FL, GA(has to be an hour from ATL), NC or SC. I am a professional and currently have a good business in northern IL. I want to move where business can rebuild easily. FL is a big pull for us bc family is there. But not sure if it's the smartest location wise(Tampa, Orlando area)

Opinions? Only requirement is to be within an hour of a major international airport.

lorilu
May. 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
I live in Florida, but I would vote for NC. tampa/Orlando is generally a big mess. (And it's coming our way...:no:)

JB
May. 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Well, what type of weather do you like? If you hate Winter, then you want FL or the Eastern parts of GA, NC, and SC, though GA and SC have less Winter than NC, except for the Mountains.

If you hate having 1.5 seasons, then don't choose FL :)

Are you bringing horses? Or getting them? Do you need to board or do you want your own place? How important is farm life?

BKDressage
May. 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
What do you mean big mess? And coming "our" way?

BKDressage
May. 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
JB. Im used to the midwest weather, so i think it will be quite an adjutment not having winter, but i will hve to deal and adapt. I need at LEAST 10 acres, not looking to board. I wil be buying or building a facility. I will be bringing 4-6 horses and buying more there. Wanting to know hay costs an pasture quality for FL.

JB
May. 14, 2012, 09:10 AM
Well, depending on what "Winter" means to you, while it's not going to be like the mid-West, here in NC, from the middle to the West, we do have SOME Winter LOL

You're going to have to talk about cost in terms of what you can afford (or want to afford) to spend on land. Right where I am, acreage is at least $10k/area right now. If you don't want to live within 30 minutes or so of "real" civilization, you can find it for a bit cheaper. If you want (or don't mind) the real boonies and pretty wooded, you can get to about $3k/acre.

ChocoMare
May. 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
Georgia is easily doable for what you want, need & can afford. You can easily be close enough to the big city for commute, yet be out on land sufficient to sustain your horses, with access to good trainers, hay suppliers, vets etc. Four seasons, with mild winters.

PRS
May. 14, 2012, 11:14 AM
I second Georgia. There are some great deals to be had on land here within an hour of Atlanta. If you go north of Atlanta the temperature and humidity are much less than the southern part of the state. With all due respect to Florida residents you couldn't pay me to live there. Property taxes and insurance tend to be fairly high in FL but the high property taxes offset the lack of a state income tax somewhat. The FL soil tends to be sandy in many areas of the state and doesn't support good pastures. If you don't mind a little more winter consider the Carolinas too.

spotnnotfarm
May. 14, 2012, 11:16 AM
Georgia is great! Land in West Ga can run anywhere from $2500.00-10,000 an acre. Lots of horsey areas and tons of dressage!

Heart's Journey
May. 14, 2012, 12:37 PM
Hay is very pricey in Fla since it all has to be shipped in. I'm in South Fla, east coast and pay $18.00 for 80# bale of rich T&A, but it is really nice hay

Tampa area isn't bad for horses as long as you are east, south, or north of Tampa.

While our summers are beastly due to heat and humidity, from Nov to April, we have fantastic weather.

PRS
May. 14, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hay is very pricey in Fla since it all has to be shipped in. I'm in South Fla, east coast and pay $18.00 for 80# bale of rich T&A, but it is really nice hay

Tampa area isn't bad for horses as long as you are east, south, or north of Tampa.

While our summers are beastly due to heat and humidity, from Nov to April, we have fantastic weather.

LOL! Can't help myself....The only horses you're likely to find West of Tampa are Sea Horses!

:D

FatCatFarm
May. 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'm a native Georgian and grew up and live on the South Side. The Newnan/Fayetteville/Peachtree City side of things is very horsey and good farms/land can be had and you will get more bang for your buck on the South side of things than the North. Population density is less and so is traffic but it is considered "less affluent" than say the Alpharetta/Forsyth County are.

It can get quite hot here too and the last few years we've started hitting 90s in May and it doesn't let up until October. It's also been pretty dry making the grazing situation frustrating. We are presently recovering from a 15" rain deficit but at least are getting good rain now. You have to have Alfalfa trucked in and at a premium. I've been paying $6.25 a bale for good coastal bermuda plus delivery. Round bales of coastal run $55. While both my husband and I were born and raised here, I doubt we'll stay here once retired and will likely move into the mountains someplace (TN/NC/GA) for a bit cooler and more distinct change of seasons.

Northern FL, specifically the Ocala area is great for horsekeeping but I don't know if that's close enough to the Orlando/Tampa area for you. Good luck with your choice.

Blume Farm
May. 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
I've lived and kept horses at home in northern CA, south FL (Loxahatchee) and now central NC (Chapel Hill area). I can say hands down where I live now is the best for 1) land prices 2) ease of horse keeping (good grass, mild winters, affordable grain/hay prices) 3) access to dressage training and shows.

Where I am (30 minutes from CH) land is about 8-10K acre depending on location and lot size. There are some really nice farms and land for sale in my area. I have access to some really high qualty dressage trainers that bring in great clinicians as well. We have more shows within a 1.5-2hr drive (both rated and schooling) than I can feasibly attend. Most of the show grounds here are well above average.

I like that I am within driving distance to CH, Durham and Raleigh for the needs of civilization/ restaurants/ culture.

We also have great vets and farriers in our area.

tobruk
May. 14, 2012, 11:15 PM
Doesn't GA have a state income tax? That hits your retirement income.

BKDressage
May. 15, 2012, 12:04 AM
Thank you all for all the replies. The company is going to let us go look. So FL is our first stop bc as I said hubby has family there. Then I think GA or NC will be our next stop. Keep the comments coming. The good bad and the ugly ;)

jetsmom
May. 15, 2012, 01:11 AM
What about around Stuart FL? The area west of the turnpike has a lot of land, you would be close to West Palm Beach airport, lots of horse things out there, plus WEF isn't far, not as busy as Tampa.

FatCatFarm
May. 15, 2012, 05:17 AM
Yes, GA does have a state income tax.

DownYonder
May. 15, 2012, 06:31 AM
A lot of flights originating or ending in the SE go through Atlanta, so if your husband travels a lot in his job, you may want to take that into consideration. I second the recommendation for the Newnan/Peachtree City area SW of Atlanta. Good prices on land and farms, smallish city (less traffic congestion but good shopping, restaurants, health care, etc.), and easy shot to the Atlanta airport. It is also fairly easy to get to the GA Horse Park in Conyers, where most of the big shows are, and to Poplar Place Farm near Columbus (really good dressage and eventing competitions).

The Alpharetta/Canton/Cumming area north of Atlanta has traditionally been quite horsey, but rampant development has run out a lot of horse people, and land/farm prices are significantly higher than south and west of Atlanta. And the traffic congestion is :eek:. On the plus side, we have some nice tack stores in Alpharetta, and lots of good clinics in the area. :cool:

lovetojump2
May. 16, 2012, 10:34 AM
Movedto Ocala from the Midwest and love it. Lots of resources for the horses. Summers are no worse than the Midwest , just longer, but winters are heaven compared to midwest. Lots of farms available right now for good prices.just don't offer what they're asking.

2tempe
May. 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
Ocala is lovely, but not w/in an hour to Orlando airport. So if that's one of your criteria...
I didn't read every post, but here's what I see in Central Florida (north of Orlando). There is lots of land available, some probably priced right, some not. Training wise, we have a number of trainers in the BROAD area, but I would seriously question the demand. Our local GMO struggles to fill dressage clinics, and none of the trainers are "full"; not sure about other disciplines. There does seem to be a fair amount of pony club type activity.

In addition to all the equine factors, be sure to consider the full tax impact. I moved from a state where I paid both state and local income taxes AND very high property taxes. I saved a BOATLOAD of money by moving down here.

suzyq
May. 17, 2012, 08:13 AM
Charleston SC and Savannah Ga are both beautiful places to live if you like the water. Not as horsey as NC or FL though.

saanengirl
May. 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
I would say that south or west of Atlanta are where you will get the most bang for your buck and still be able to do everything else that you want to do. There are a lot of horse events in Conyers (just outside of Atlanta) and in general a large horse community in the area. Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport is the "Worlds Busiest Airport," so that might be something to consider. There is a state income tax, but lower cost of living than some other areas helps to balance it out.

BKDressage
May. 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
The tax thing I a huge plus... Coming from the land of over taxing!!
I would love recommendations on towns an hour from Tampa airport. Or even an hour from Orlando airport I should be searching? Something reasonable enough, country but yet the grocery store isn't far away. At minimum, 10acres.