PDA

View Full Version : Just got a ton of hay....and I'm allergic!

spacytracy
May. 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
So, yesterday we buy a little over a ton of orchard grass/mixed hay from auction, its delivered and hubby unloads it (I can't lift heavy stuff).
He comes in and his arms are red, scratchy, itchy, etc. He takes some benadryl and it gets better but not great

I swept the hay up and into stalls but didn't really touch it yesterday, and when I did I had a sweatshirt on.

This am when handling the hay, I came in and instantly was itching.

I just went back into the barn and I didn't even touch the hay and I'm itching again!!!

Not looking for a remedy but just hoping there are others out there that have had this happen to!

We had this really soft, nice hay I got over winter and I did not have this problem. The load we got yesterday is much coarser and not as nice, but with the weather we've been having, I couldn't be too picky, and since they're out on grass now its not as crutial to get the really nice stuff (even if I could find it!)

Looks like its long-sleeve tshirts for me this summer!

bludejavu
May. 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
I now itch, sneeze and cough from most all hays. It has gotten worse over the years, but I go to my doctor for an allergy shot and it helps quite a bit. You might try one too. If I have to handle hay a good bit (such as unloading), I take a shower afterwards to get rid of the itchiness.

birdsong
May. 13, 2012, 12:56 PM
I began having extremely itchy arms this past year! Very annoying...don't know if its just this hay or all now as I use the same hay guy with this wonderful orchard/alfalfa w/clover mix.

carp
May. 13, 2012, 11:33 PM
It's possible you got a load of hay infested with harvest mites, which are basically chiggers. Every once in a while my barn gets an infested load. Mites and chiggers especially like to burrow in and bite any place were clothing fits tightly: bra straps, waist bands, the elastic at the top of socks, etc.

lolita1
May. 14, 2012, 07:00 AM
No help but I do understand. May be it is the bug thing described above or may be like me you are just reactive to the hay. I'm fine with lucern but oaten makes me itch.

Bluey
May. 14, 2012, 07:50 AM
We raised 100 acres of oats one year, was supposed to be for grain, but ended up hay.
I put up those 2200 bales in the barn, one pickup load at the time, by myself and was practically red all the time and itching like mad.
I lived on antihistamines during all that.
Never again.

Can you resell that hay and get other?

Seeing an allergist would help and allergy shots really help, I took them for 12 years and they kept me going.

Oh, putting oat hay in a barn is a terrible idea, the mice in there were out of a horror movie, dozens in every bale.
You had to tie the bottom of your pants up before loading hay, or you may end with mice up your pants, inside.
That didn't help the itching any.

I would be careful, because strong allergic reactions can turn into an emergency if you can't breathe.

cowboymom
May. 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
We got mites on a load of straw before-could be that. Especially since both of you are itchy. Get a pitchfork!