PDA

View Full Version : Way off course- NYC

buryinghill1
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:10 AM
Check out the news! A world trade tower just got hit by a plane!

(back to work now)

buryinghill1
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:10 AM
Check out the news! A world trade tower just got hit by a plane!

(back to work now)

AHC
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:15 AM
I can see it out my bosses office window! Looks like both towers were hit near the top floors. There's fire and tons of smoke....

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:16 AM
Was watching and saw a second one go through the second tower!!!!!

"No One Trains For Second
Place..."

Midge
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:17 AM
Dear Lord, I cannot imagine what this workd is coming to..

FairWeather
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:19 AM
What in the WORLD!
Please let people be ok

Always,
FairWeather
Stall rest is over! Hand walking may begin...but don't forget the stud chain over my nose :P
http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

Bumpkin
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:20 AM
I just turned on the TV as Mr Bumpkin is getting up and I am dumbfounded.
What is the World coming to?
This is so sad. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:22 AM
They are saying two commercial American Airlines planes were highjacked and forced to crash into the tower. One was a large jet (747?) they say the other was a small commuter plane...

/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif I am far away in VA but this is so frightening. AHC - how are you? It must be terrifying there in NYC.

Place..."

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:29 AM
They (news) say the towers are leaning considerably. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif The jet I saw on TV hit the building at extreme high speed. And the fire...

Presendent (in FL) is getting ready to talk to public. Lincon tunnel and more are now closed. The official word is that this was NOT a bizarre accident. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Place..."

smc
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:31 AM
very well said JM! what a sad day. i just got in from putting my kindergartener on the bus and turned on the TV. i'm a half hour from the city! too scary!

smc
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:32 AM
they are hinting that it is terrorists.

Nickelodian
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:34 AM
Listening to the President speaking....

"Apparent Terrorist Attack on the City"

I was crying on my way to work.

5 months down........6 to go
(OMG, I totally missed month 4!!)

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:38 AM
This is unbelievable....I'm trying to type and my hands are just shaking! WHY!!!!!!

C-Urchn
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:39 AM
Please close your eyes for a few seconds.
And pray - even if you never have before - for the people, their families, & the emergency workers.

thanks

smc
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:41 AM
please say a pray. ABC news is saying there is a third plane to worry about

VTrider
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:42 AM
I hope she is OK.

All our NYC friends - slugger, MAZ, Trooper and the many many more- I hope they are all OK.

Everythingbutwings
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:43 AM
So I think she is okay. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif This goes beyond terrible. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VTrider
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smc:
please say a pray. ABC news is saying there is a third plane to worry about<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a US Military plane enforcing the no-fly zone.

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:44 AM
News just came on to say there MAY MAY have been an explosion at the pentagon. News correspondant there is reporting. He says it felt like a small blast and now people being herded out.

Place..."

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:44 AM
My heart and prayers go out to every emergency service person in NY today. Being a 911 dispatcher/firefighter/MRT here in CT, I can just imagine the horrers and pain they are dealing with today.

Heidi
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:45 AM
Please keep safe and please, when you can, check into the BB.

This is so shockingly horrific. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:47 AM
They are showing the Pentagon w/smoke billowing out! I am scared now not just shocked. A bomb was set off by the heliopad. This is getting to be too much! Everyone becareful!!!!!

Place..."

smc
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:47 AM
just heard the update thanks VT

Sleepy
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:48 AM
All of you guys in DC, please be check in.

Midge
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:48 AM
There is smoke at the White House!!!!!

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:49 AM
They are saying it may have been a plane not a bomb at the Pentagon. Everyone is jumpy.

Place..."

JB
The Washington Mall, and the some west buildings of the Pentaton are on fire - have been bombed?

Bumpkin
Someone I work with is in DC on vacation for two weeks!!
I am praying for everyone.
And I do hope all of you in these areas try to keep in touch with the rest of us, as we are worried for your safety.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:51 AM
Mall & White house are fine. It is just the pentagon (so far).

Place..."

JB
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:52 AM
There is a fire on the Mall, according to CNN.

VTrider
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:53 AM
Moesha works at the World Bank in DC and my aunt works for the FBI/CIA....pray guys!!!!

Everythingbutwings
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:55 AM
right near the Capitol and my friend's husband is at the Pentagon!

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:55 AM
Peter Jennings is reporting that the capitol, state department and white house is being evacuated. They aren't positive on what happened at the pentagon. But ALL aircraft is grounded in the US.

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:56 AM
The pentagon sets on the edge of the park-part of the mall. Maybe they are just trying to give it some perspective for people who are not familiar with where it is? The fire is on the side of the Pentagon. All flight traffic has been stopped nationwide.

Place..."

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:57 AM
just announced that all airline traffic has been shutdown nationwide. Now they are saying it was possibly a helicopter that exploded at the pentagon

Weatherford
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:58 AM
HELP! I cannot log into any news sites - one of the guys came to the barn to rell me - and now I am at the cyber cafe - is anyone covering this live online??

I will tell you the Irish are as horrified as we are - and all our prayers are with those of you in NY.

JB
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:01 AM
I just heard confirmation that it was a plane that hit the Pentagon /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Midge
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:03 AM
The southern tower has completely collapsed!!!!!

Dementia 13
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:05 AM
I heard it was an American Airlines 757 that hit the Pentagon -- apparently it crashed into the heli-pad.

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:06 AM
OH GOD!!! I can't even think of words anymore....

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:06 AM
One of the towers has collapsed (south tower). There was an explosion at the base of the south tower.

Place..."

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:08 AM
They just said it was a THIRD plane that just crashed into and took down the south tower

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:10 AM
report of fire at state department (unconfirmed). How do you highjack 3 airpalnes in such short space?! Especially when we have been on alert for a week?! /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Place..."

VTrider
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:10 AM
Thank God!

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:17 AM
they are talking about a possible 2nd explosion at the pentagon

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:24 AM
There wasn't a 3rd plane at the towers. The towers had been leaning since the airplanes hit. There was a report of a small explosion near the base of the south tower. But it was unconfirmed. It could have been from the original crash - wiring/gas leak.

The 3rd plane went into side of pentagon. It was a big jet. Three total explosions at the pentagon so far. They believe it is residue from the original crash. Looking at the pictures of the pentagon up close how awful!!

Place..."

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:27 AM
Right before the pentagon crash there was a warning to joint chief of staff that a 3rd airplane was on it's way to DC. I can't believe all those poor people traveling on the planes! This is horrible!

Place..."

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:28 AM
CAR BOMB GOES OFF OUTSIDE STATE DEPARTMENT!!

Will this ever end?!

Place..."

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:29 AM
All the innocent lives lost.....and for what???

JB
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:34 AM
2nd tower just collapsed.

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:35 AM
Add 150 people to the death toll (the number contained in both AA flights that hit the WTC).

/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AmityBee
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:37 AM
in horror as I listen to the radio !!!
This is an unspeakable horror !

All my thoughts and hopes are with you on the other side of the Atlantic !!!

Smart Alec
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:39 AM
the second tower just collapsed. They interviewed a woman on the street and she was hysterical--she said that people where trying to save themselves and jump out of the window. This is absolutely horrifying. How awful...can't even think...

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:39 AM
ABC News just gave a completely unconfirmed report of "something" happening at the Capitol.

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:40 AM
Reports of a 4th plane hijacked and on it's way to DC. Unconfirmed. But has been announced. I was supposed to get my cast on today. I think I'll go to Reston via the 'backroads'. I can't even react to so much devastation. I can't even register it.

This is a declaration of war as far as I am concerned. It is just as strong as pearl harbor. I hope our country is strong enough to go after who ever did this.

Place..."

Everythingbutwings
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:41 AM
There is no way the other nations would not support a massive hunt for the group responsible for this. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Heidi
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:42 AM
NBC has just reported that at capacity, there are 50,000 people who work in the two WTC towers. I can't fathom this.

Thank god AHC is safe - I'll continue to pray for the others in NYC.

Anyone heard yet from Moesha?

Smart Alec
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:42 AM
I just heard of a 4th plane thats been hijacked....OMG...

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:44 AM
Now they're reporting that a large plane has crashed in Summerset (sp?) county in western PA... no clue if it's related or not.

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:45 AM
Locally, I don't know if I could get to my horse if I wanted to... she's stabled on teh Air Force base and they have basically shut down.

Goodyfourshoes!
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:45 AM
edit

Clive's Mom
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:46 AM
4th plane on it's way - not sure where.
also, the 202 area is gone pretty much in NY if you are trying to call.
they just locked down my boyfriends work building.

this is nuts.

- C

Canter
This is horrible - all federal offices in Washington are being evacuated.
The President is on AirForceOne on his way back from Florida.

HelloAgain
Please, just to clarify, the Pentagon is NOT located on the capitol Mall, it is fairly far away, across the Potomac river. In Arlington, I think. Repeat, Pentagon NOT located near Capitol building.

Colin
she works in downtown NYC. Please????

Clive's Mom
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:47 AM
unconfirmed - plane crash in pittsburg.

Sep. 11, 2001, 07:48 AM
There *may* be another hijacked plane coming into DC (from AP reports on C-SPAN)

* Fiero *

Canter
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:48 AM
Colin - AHC is okay.

Canter
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:49 AM
CNN just reported that a second plane is hijacked and headed towards Washington.

Duffy
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:51 AM
I'm currently emailing with AHC - she's ok - but scared - her cell isn't getting through either

redhorse05
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:52 AM
This is sooooo scary!!! My brother is a pilot... dont' know where he is at the moment and can't find my folks to see if they know. Most of my family lives in the pittsburgh area... now I have to worry about them too /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

~Odin

SGray
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:52 AM
fyi - what we have been told regarding Houston at this time

"Building security also has informed us that the FBI has informed them that there have been no threats against the city of Houston. They are asking that everyone remain calm, but alert and call security in the event any unusual people, conditions or parcels are noted. "

ShowJumps
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:53 AM
I have always watched the news abroad with impartialality (sp?). Now that it is happening so close to home I can't fathom ever making a casual statement about terrorisim again and world problems again. Even w/the oklahoma bombing and the world trade center bombing it seemed shocking and horrific but was only one incident in it's self. To have this happen over and over and over again today. I just can not comprehend the imact this will have on us all. I am sitting here watching footage of jets taking off from andrews airforce to protect this area. The news people warn us that the 4th airplane is about 10 minutes away from DC. I am in shock.

Place..."

msj
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:55 AM
which is located in southwestern PA, probably an hr or less from Pittsburgh PA. They do NOT know if it related or not.

That's right around the corner from my hometown.

msj

Lisamarie8
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:56 AM
The Pentagon is in Arlington Virginia. Just on the West side of the Potomac.

--My most accommodating strength is my willingness to humiliate myself

Velvet
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:57 AM
Someone here said they had just watched a show on terrorism stating that what "should" happen after an event like this is that the terrorist will then go to small communities and start biological warfare. They do this to distract us and draw our attention away.

I hope and pray this is NOT the case.

This is such a tragedy. I just don't yet know what to think.

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:58 AM
ABC is now saying there was no car bomb at the State Dept.

Locally, all non-essential personnel have been told to leave the Air Force Base (this is a major command HQ) and downtown has been shut down.

Magnolia
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:59 AM
My prayers for everyone in a city. Please leave NOW and go hug your horses or something.
So sad that people do so much killing in the name of GOD...

Ride it Like You Stole It...

redhorse05
is that anywhere near DuQuesne??? I dont' remember enough PA geography to know right now. That's where my family is. I can't get any news. Do yo know any details on that crash???

~Odin

Canter
Israel has evacuated their government buildings ... leading one to suspect that it was a Palestinian attack?

ShowJumps
The pentagon isn't ON the actuall mall. But it is on the edge of the park area that surrounds all the national monuments. This area extends past the virginia side of the river and is sometimes considered part of the mall. It is fairly close to Arlinton National Cem. (a few miles). One side of the pentagon backs up to tword the river and park area the other faces the city of Arlington.

GOOD NEWS!!!! OFFICIAL WORD! NO CAR BOMB AT STATE DEPARTMENT!!

Place..."

buryinghill1
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:01 AM
Please let it end.

Sep. 11, 2001, 08:03 AM
Yeah I heard someone call in on the news and mentioned it was Palestinian attack.

* Fiero *

Smart Alec
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:04 AM
...the flight that hit one of the towers was a 767 AA flight 11. They were hijacked from Boston and were supposed to be going to LA.
All planes are being rerouted to Canada. The FAA has declared a state of emergency as well.
I am thinking of all of those people and their families.

Glimmerglass
All airports closed.

Sears Tower and Aon Building (4th tallest in the US), which is next to mine, are being evacuated. All government building evacuated including the Dirksen Federal Building.

AHC
I am still in the office. Can't believe the twin towers are both gone. Thanks to all BBers who keep sending me emails -- it is helping tremendously to communicate this way while I can't make phone calls. You guys are the greatest.

Sep. 11, 2001, 08:05 AM
I just heard a plane crash into the Pentagon, but they aren't following up on it

the PA plane was a Boeing 767 and still unclear on relation to the terrorist attacks.

This is TRAGIC and frightening

* Fiero *

smc
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:06 AM
hey mags people can't leave the city everything bridges tunnels are closed. they have no where to go. very sad

JB
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:07 AM
United Airlines plane has reportedly crashed into Camp David.

msj
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:08 AM
Somerset is slightly south and east of Pittsburgh and west of Johnstown (my home town).

My guess that any area/city that is any industrial area could be targeted!

God pity the family of the terrorists because they are going to need it!

My heart goes out to the victims, survivors, family and friends. I have heard that a Palentine group is claiming credit for this. Good thing I don't have the red button nearby 'cause I'd probably push it HARD. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

msj

Chief2
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:14 AM
I'm going between this board and JB's board. Am at the library where noone can get onto Cnn, etc. Do not have a TV at home. Keep it going, please.

Panda
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:21 AM
Here in Cleveland, they are evacuating the city and the airport. There is a plane on the runway that might have a bomb on it and there is one in the air that was headed here but is now over Toledo airspace and they are hearing screaming in the background. This is hitting close to home here.

Prayers for everyone...

JB
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:21 AM
Bin Laden? Seems to be his kind of work. About 3 weeks ago he made threats that an attack of unparalleled precedence would be made. He should have been hunted down and shot years ago /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Erin
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the Chicago update, Glimmerglass. Someone here in the office said the Sears Tower would be the next most likely target and my heart just sank...

MD state gov't here in Annapolis closed down, and State Circle is closed to all non-emergency traffic.

Velvet
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:25 AM
8 planes hijacked, some still in the air, and one being hunted by F-16 fighter planes. Not sure if it's hysteria or truth.

Goodyfourshoes!
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:25 AM
edit

Heidi
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:26 AM
They've now imposed air travel lockdowns in Canada - and they're only accepting the rerouted planes bound for U.S. airports.

Sep. 11, 2001, 08:26 AM
there are reports of a bomb in Stuyvesant (sp) high school in NYC which is really close to the world trade center... no students in it

* Fiero *

jl
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:28 AM
BIL cuts thru the WTC on his way to work.
I am scared to death for him.

JB
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:28 AM
anyone remember Nostradamus' prediction? Soon after the new millenium a leader from the Middle East will rise up and attack. God.

Chief2
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:30 AM
I would imagine that we'll see his groupies dancing around on the TV screen tonight.

Deb413
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:30 AM
Helter Skelter!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Magnolia
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:35 AM
Panda-
Please be careful sweety...
My prayers are with all you Clevelanders. I'm up at the University north of Charlotte. I do feel like going to Cherryville where my barn is.
I'm so afraid for downtown Charlotteans.

Colin
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:36 AM
Even in Utah - schools closed, VA hospital access closed....OMG!

Evan
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:37 AM
Please let it stop!!!! Keep praying!

Sep. 11, 2001, 08:38 AM
Yeah, CNN was interviewing some government general, and he is saying that Usama Bin Laden is their first suspect.

* Fiero *

Velvet
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:39 AM
Someone here said that he predicted just after the new millenia, in the fall.

I'm thinking Armageddon? I mean, we WILL retaliate, and if it's in the Middle East, that fits a bit too closely.

Where's the rapture? (NOT kidding...)

Portia
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:39 AM
The thought just hit me -- the United plane (from Newark to San Francisco) that crashed near Pittsburgh may have been brought down deliberately by the pilots rather than crash it into an occupied area. Or maybe they tried to get control back from the hijackers. In either case, we probably have some brave pilots and crews to thank for preventing even more loss of life, while accepting their own deaths.

Dear God In Heaven, rest the souls of those who have been killed, protect those who have been injured, and comfort the families of those who have lost their loved ones.

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:40 AM
My husband told me that the hospital he works at here in CT has been put on standby by CMED for possible overflow injuries from NY

Gayle
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:42 AM
Can you believe we now live in an era where we can say to each other "where were you when the United States was attacked"?

Glimmerglass
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:44 AM
>> Can you believe we now live in an era where we can say to each other "where were you when the United States was attacked"? <<

Two words: Pearl Harbor

Magnolia
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:45 AM
Let us pray that our leaders are just in their retaliation and act with more wisdom than we give them credit for...I hope and I pray that they do NOT start WWWIII, no matter what the temptation.
I have little faith in our leader, and I PRAY with all my might that his actions regarding this incident will not lead to the end of humanity.

LuluBelle
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:54 AM
This is so horrible.. I am in school right now and in every class we just watch CNN to see if anything is happening. Since we are only about an hour from NYC there are a lot of people whose parents work there or other family members. Coming back from lunch I saw 2 people crying because there parents were in it. Also I know a girl whose mother was just leaving to go to a meeting there when it happened. Thank God she was just 10 minutes late. I pray for everyone who has family members there.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

HelloAgain
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:55 AM
I'm sorryCan you tell me more about where the Stuuyvesant HS rumor came from? I went there and recall the 1993 bombing very clearly, we felt it in the building. I'm sure they were evacuated... I hope. God, now I'm going to cry.

Flash44
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:55 AM
he is a selfish little boy who has temper tantrums when he doesn't get what he wants. Should have been squashed like the dung beetle he is years ago. Hopefully wiping him off the face of the earth is now our #1 priority.

brilyntrip
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:59 AM
Was talking to Mary and it occured to me thatthe USET meeting is today !Do wee know if the uset meeting has been cancelled ?

Magnolia
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:00 AM
People always seem to suffer at the hands of crazy leaders. I remember well an Iraqi girl in my undergrad telling me that people were terrified of Hussein and how much they suffered because of him.
I may not like Bush, but my god, at least he is sane man.

smc
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:00 AM
helloagain NBC news had it on but they were quicke to say that the school was empty and the police were checking the building

msj
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:07 AM
and the tears are just streaming down my face as they play it.

All local hospitals, firecompanies and police on alert. Just heard that from one of my coworkers.

This is surely the saddest day in the USA and world for that matter, in a long, long time.

msj

redhorse05
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:15 AM
and my brother is HOME! However he was in NYC yesterday and the rest of his crew and their plane are there right now /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif So thankfully he is ok.

My folks still live about 15 miles from O'hare airport and are right now throwing stuff in the car to come stay with me. Dad was a commercial pilot for United for 35 years. He is VERY worried right now and that, more than anyting else, worries me!

Be strong everyone! I'm going to go hug my four legged kids... checking back in a bit.

~Odin

LoriO
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:23 AM
Talk about heebie jeebies. All night long at work I was on edge, something just didn't seem right (I'm a 911 dispatcher). I couldn't sit still and felt very out of sorts. It was so bad that when I finally did get out of work I drove straight to the barn and just hung out with my horse for awhile. Right after Iwalked in the door from the barn my husband called and told me that two planes had just crashed into the WTC.Strange huh?

wtywmn4
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:24 AM
Portia that is a beautiful prayer. Thank you....

We will find out, that there were many heroic pilots I believe. As you said, someone fought hard to keep that plane from doing the damage it was hijacked for.

The type of evil it took to unleash this, is unbelievable. But as someone said, please do not paint all arabs with the same brush.

Luv2ride
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:26 AM
They cancelled classes at my college and are setting up support groups

We're a good 6 hours away from the city

~Nikki and Ethan~

*Whoever said money can't buy you happiness, never owned a horse : ) *

Louise
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:27 AM
Borders between the US and Canada closed. I cannot ever recall that happening before.

I have been praying and crying all morning. All those poor people!

jsg24
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:28 AM
They just announced they are evacuating all of lower Manhattan because of a gas leak frojm the collapse of the towers.

OnceAThief
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:29 AM
I didn't learn a thing until I walked into my Shakespearian Tragedey class this morning, and even then little to none.. I'm cutting class (no, we're not cancelled here..) watching CNN and just had the most horrible revelation - the planes were from American and United.. I know a United pilot who does those runs. Now, I'm frantically calling everyone trying to find any info.. or a parent.. ugh..

-------
Swift's Injuries: 4 Major, 21 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 6.

Cactuskate
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:34 AM
It is at times like this that I begin to realize how different our world is. I am constantly amazed at the totally different social values and humanitarian values some people have. Whether it is based upon religion or just where we were brought up, I am still amazed at some that have total abandon of the value of human life and disregard for the suffering they bring to this world by their selfish action.

They obviously were not brought up in the little "white picket fence community" as I was.

I am relieved to hear that many BB'ers from the East are well. It was one of my first concerns.

I am also thankful that my husband is home safely, as he is a commercial pilot and this is his week off. However, I am very concerned for many people we know in the airline industry and my old boyfriend from many years ago that works for the Secret Service. His old address was 2 World Trade Center, NY, NY. That just gives me chills.......

I hope these prayers and tears from way out west reach those that are most in need.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."

Linny
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:43 AM
Both of my parents are gone now but I now have a better idea of how they felt, at the youthful age of 21 sitting around the radio that Sunday in December of 1941. I wish I could just tell them now that I understand.
My thoughts and prayers are with all of those who may be in the path of this attack. I'd like to offer a prayer to the American pilots who had the horrific duty to shoot down a US civilian airliner.
I have many family members and friends in NYC and I'm praying for them, my cyber-friends and those I've never met.

God give peaceful rest to the victims of these frightful events.

dublin
Sep. 11, 2001, 09:56 AM
Thank you Fleetie for expressing it so eloquently.

My thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone touched by this horrific tragedy. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Sonesta
Sep. 11, 2001, 10:20 AM
I, too, considered that the pilot may have crashed the plane himself. If so, he is quite the hero. There is another possibility, however....we may have shot it down ourselves if it was known to be hijacked and on course of major distruction. I hate that thought, but it's a very real possibility. The other unaccounted for hijacked planes will likely meet the same fate.

Rebecca www.sonestafarms.com (http://www.sonestafarms.com)
"Find something you love & call it work."

Velvet
Sep. 11, 2001, 10:26 AM
That the pilot was flying the plane anymore. I mean, none of the others would ever have crashed into the buildings. I bet the pilots were killed and the terrorists took themselves out.

Too bad the people on these planes have no clue about what is happening. If they knew they were going to die and that they were all part of a well orchestrated plane, I'm sure they'd storm the cabin and take out the terrorists--even if they were also lost.

What a hideous thought, but it seems we live in a hideously ugly world.

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 10:41 AM
One report I heard several times states that there was a 911 call that came in from a passenger in one of the planes' bathrooms... a passenger that stated they were hijacked. Not sure if it was one of the WTC planes or the one that crashed in PA.

JumpTheMoon
Sep. 11, 2001, 11:35 AM
This is so tragic. Does anyone know if the US saw it coming or was it a surprise attack? I am praying to God nothing happens in Canada. My parents left fro Alberta this morning and I really, really wish they were here right now!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

~To the world you are just one person to but to one person you may be the world~

AHC
Sep. 11, 2001, 11:36 AM
jtm, someone posted earlier today that slugger was fine.

Colin
Sep. 11, 2001, 11:40 AM
They are going to be held in Salt Lake City!

I think I should go to Tucson for their show series for 6 weeks.....eh??? This is very scary....Very...

Canter
Sep. 11, 2001, 11:41 AM
The 911 cell phone call was from the Pennsylvanian crash.

CBC Newsworld interviewed an American Airlines Captain who said that for sure in his opinion, those airline pilots were already dead.
He said that airline pilots are trained to deal with hijacking, and that it is commonly understood that in an event such as this, you sacrifice the plane before causing mass destruction.

Cactuskate
Sep. 11, 2001, 11:46 AM
I almost think if the pilots had still been in control of the airplanes in NYC they would have put them down in the water.

But again HOW ON EARTH WOULD I KNOW????? Pure speculation. I guess that is what we need to do with our minds in the midst of all of this maddness.

JumpTheMoon
Sep. 11, 2001, 11:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AHC ownerofspottedhorse:
jtm, someone posted earlier today that slugger was fine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you. I have been worried sick about her all day, and just got home from school so haven't read the other posts.

~To the world you are just one person to but to one person you may be the world~

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 12:03 PM
Bush has landed... at Ofit Air Force Base in Nebraska (HQ to the Strategic Air Command... pretty damn secure area IMHO).

Xctrygirl
Sep. 11, 2001, 12:08 PM
There is not a sentence that can be written that does justice to the pain, sorrow, shock and grief that we, as a nation, will feel in some way for a very long time. Bush called these people cowards. That doesn't begin to cover how low of a being they are.

I am ashamed to say that when I heard about the first plane crashing into the wtc, I, and the media, stil at that point thought it was a small plane. And it barely affected me. However when it was made known that the first and then second plane was a commercial jet, I was overcome. Those flights targeted were bound to LA. A city I left only a year ago, and have been on those flights before. I can't say if anyone I know was on those flights.

The people lost cannot be worth whatever end these madmen were after.

We don't yet know who was lost, but this is something to consider. The big name celebrities will come first, but everyone lost was a celebrity to their circle of friends and families.

Please if you haven't already, contact your nearest and dearest and tell them what they mean to you. You never know when the breath you take might be your last.

~Emily

CoolRunnings
Sep. 11, 2001, 12:15 PM
[B]I have never felt such a wave of emotions before. I live 15 minutes out of DC and our school was let out early, so on, so on. Anyways today my dad was flying from National to LA....and I saw on the news at school that a plane going from Dullus to LA crashed and I totally flipped out (forgetting the national airport part). I have never felt like I did when I though it was my Dad in that plane crash...and theres no way to explain it. My heart and soul goes out to all of those families though. Some people at my school were directly hit---as in their parents were on those planes. I feel so bad for them....I hope everyone will be ok. Be careful....

**Mary**

**Feel the rhythem, feel the ride, get on up its horseshow time!!!**

Flash44
Sep. 11, 2001, 12:57 PM
"...and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

tle
Sep. 11, 2001, 12:58 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Everythingbutwings
Sep. 11, 2001, 01:17 PM
That is the heart of our great country. We value our freedoms, hard earned and unique in the world!

ErinB
Sep. 11, 2001, 01:50 PM
I first heard about this in math class this morning. Before the teacher arrives, one of my friends comes in, sits down and says lightly, "Hey y'all, I just heard that this airplane crashed through one of the world trade towers!" So of course, we were like "yeah right." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Half an hour later, we're all clustered around tables in the cafeteria. The teachers rolled in four TV's and we're just watching, dumbfounded, as everything unfolds. My school is kindergarten through seniors and they had to take the younger kids away when it started getting really bad. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Some people were crying, some people were screaming, almost everyone was praying (Christian school...)

We seriously sat there watching until it was nearly time to go home. We brought our work into the caf with us (hardly anyone could take their eyes off the TVs enough to accomplish anything) and ate lunch there. The teachers wanted to watch and make sure that school wasn't closing or anything (all the colleges did, but not the regular schools schools), and they had to keep an eye on everyone so that's all we did today. About an hour into the whole mess I had a feeling that there would be some major posts on this on COTH. It didn't even hit me that a lot of COTH people live near the area. I'm glad it didn't or I would have freaked... I hope y'all are okay. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

My aunt and uncle live in NYC and my aunt was across the street when this happened. Luckily, she's fine.

I only read the first and last page of this topic so far, but anyone else have some major school chaos? As mentioned, I go to a Christian school and all the elementary and middle school kids were convinced that this meant the world was ending (um, God was coming); as they'd been taught for so long there's supposed to be a huge war and a lot of other bad stuff happen before The Big Day. Perhaps I was the only one who had to face THAT problem- we had to have the principal, vice principal and football coach come in to get everyone under control! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Kids jumping around, shrieking "I'M NOT READY FOR THIS!!!" and similar statements... not pretty.

So yeah. I think everyone was affected by this today. I'm just so shocked, and also amazed. This is history book stuff we're living.

But I wish it never happened! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

PS: Anyone else outraged by the people dancing in the streets CELEBRATING this? Every one of them deserves to die...

~*~
See What Mood I'm In at iMood.com! (http://www.imood.com/query.cgi?email=tricolorgriffen@yahoo.com)
My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying, "How was that drive-by shooting?" You don't care how it *was*, you're lucky to get out alive.

Kellybird
Sep. 11, 2001, 02:02 PM
All of my friends who went away to NYU for their first year of college....look what they get to deal with... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

This is ridiculous--everyone who got to watch tv in school is lucky--we had to leave our tvs off all day. The only reason the whole school found out was that one teacher flipped on CNN to check between class periods and saw the second plane hit. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Not to mention how many people who were called to the office because their parents wanted to bring them home--my mother included--which completely terrified me [my dad is a pilot and I had gotten no news on him all day] and I nearly lost it walking downstairs. All in all, an ugly day in Pittsburgh. In fact, downtown was evacuated/cleared, but our school still remained open? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Anyway, let's hope and pray that this insanity ends quickly.

~KBird

ErinB
Sep. 11, 2001, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Anyway, let's hope and pray that this insanity ends quickly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I hear, America may never be quite the same again.

~*~
See What Mood I'm In at iMood.com! (http://www.imood.com/query.cgi?email=tricolorgriffen@yahoo.com)
My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying, "How was that drive-by shooting?" You don't care how it *was*, you're lucky to get out alive.

Portia
Sep. 11, 2001, 02:25 PM
Another building in the World Trade Center complex just collapsed. Maybe building 5.

Dear God.

ErinB
Sep. 11, 2001, 02:29 PM
Perhaps this seems trivial, but my sister just posed this question (we just watched that building collapse too, Portia): how are they going to clean that place up? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

~*~

Sep. 11, 2001, 02:31 PM
it was number 7

**~~Rachel and Moon~~**
www.geocities.com/rach99nc (http://www.geocities.com/rach99nc)

Portia
Sep. 11, 2001, 02:34 PM
Oh yes, I absolutely agree that a real pilot would never have been at the controls and put others in harm's way! They would have dove into the Hudson or over the ocean, anything to avoid hitting the buildings. It definately had to be the terrorists at the controls!

They did a special on one of the news magazines a few weeks ago, about the crash in Ohio where they saved so many people with incredible flying (the one Michael and DD Matz were on). They played the recordings between the pilots and the tower, and the pilots worried terribly about hurting people on the ground. They kept saying, whatever you do, keep us out of the populated areas.

I was thinking with the Penn. crash that maybe they hadn't taken over the controls yet, or maybe the pilots/passengers had tried to take the plane back. But Rebecaa may be right -- it may have been shot down before it could crash into whatever the target was. If that is the case, then God help comfort our service people who had that horrendous mission.

AWIP
Sep. 11, 2001, 02:35 PM
and I feel even worse because what runs through my head repeatedly is that fact I'm supposed to fly into the US on Sunday. Not too inclined to get on a plane...

Those poor people ... it breaks my heart.

HelloAgain
Sep. 11, 2001, 03:10 PM
I was just thinking that the closing of the Chelsea Eq. Center was really a blessing in disguise. They would have been practically at ground zero.

dodgegrrl
Sep. 11, 2001, 03:26 PM
From what you've said, I'm pretty sure that you are quite close to Dayton, Ohio. Do you have any updates about WPAFB, home of the AF Medical base. TT my Dad and he said the F-16 traffic in the area is quite heavy. Any idears?

If Bush spent any time at Offut, you know that the Strategic Air Command is there, he will get a full menu of options from the AF. Not to mention that Daddy Bush was the top G-man at the CIA for a bunch of years before hooking up with Reagan and becoming VP.

Tin
Sep. 11, 2001, 04:54 PM
building 7 collapsed and apparently the Mariot is looking pretty bad and will probably be next to go.

Also, Barbara Olsen phoned her husband from one of the planes (I think the first one) and said that they hijackers were armed with knives and box cutters. Everyone including the pilots were piled into the back of the plane as they took over; meaning the hijackers had the knowledge to fly a commercial plane which I can imagine isn't an easy task.

Just saw on tv 200 firefighters are dead and over 78 police men are missing.

Prayers to them and their family

LuluBelle
Sep. 11, 2001, 05:17 PM
OMG.... I just found out that 300 people in my school have lost love ones in the horrible event today... that is more then 10% of my school!! Thank God I didn't know anyone that was hurt there.. But I am praying for everyone else at my school that did know someone....

Policy of Truth
Sep. 11, 2001, 05:24 PM
I have heard people on this board and others around me speculating about the events today being linked to the end of the world.

I just want to clarrify for those who do subscribe to the Christian point of view (hence the Bible), that these events are "out of order" so to speak when refering to the prophecies spoken in the book of Revelation regarding the end of the world.

I'm not trying to start a debate...please read this as information for anyone who has wondered if this is the begining of the end.

This is surely a tragedy. One I will not forget. I pray that our country will stand together and fight through the physical as well as psychological warfare that has been thrown at our homeland so cowardly.

J. Turner
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:46 PM
My dad works for New York magazine, which (thank god) is in midtown Manhattan. One of the editors, though, has a friend who's a pastry chef at the restaurant at Windows on the World. She was supposed to work this morning. Since the restaurant is on one of the top floors, he's not holding out much hope for her. How horribly sad. I wonder if the exec chef, Michael Lomonaco (sp?), was there.

I heard George Stephanopoulos say he heard from a man in the first tower who was above the crash site and made it down. Perhaps there's hope after all. On ABC, they reported that the NYC morgue has only eight bodies so far.

Tin
Sep. 11, 2001, 06:51 PM
there are people alive trapped in the rubble who are phoning family members (on their cells) telling them they are o.k. There is hope!

Jennasis
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:06 PM
This whole tihng has made me sick. I work in television news (I am a cameraperson), and I've been covering this all day...in fact we'll be covering this EVERYDAY for about a year. I can't even wrap my mind around it. All I know right now is that I seriously want OUT of this business (tv news).

I watched everything happen live in front of my eyes (the plane crash, both buildings collapse, people jumping out of the windows, the devastation) I can't take it anymore. I don't want to live my life constantly being barraged by these images. I'm looking for a new job starting tomorrow. Then i'm going to donate blood to help the resuce effort.

I am saddened, and truly at a loss for words.

Flash44
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:13 PM
Jennasis, this is not your fault, and you have done nothing wrong. It is almost necessary for people to actually see the death and destruction caused by terrorism and war in order to get something done about it. It's one thing to read about it or hear it on the radio, but to see the buildings collapse and watch people running for their lives puts it all in a whole new realm. These images will haunt me for the rest of my life, and I hope that those who make decisions as to whether or not to drop a bomb will think of this as well.

daytimedrama
Sep. 11, 2001, 07:14 PM
My mother reads a lot of Noustrodaumus(sp?) and Edgar Cacye's predictions and has been saying to us for years the prediction that...the hollow mountains in the new city will be attacked.

on a good note.. I have a friend whose father was supposed to be on the flight coming to LA from NY, she hadn't talked to him, but ater found out that he went on a flight last night instead!

~Christina~
"Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!"
JD;Heathers
*Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.*

NancyL
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:01 PM
A friend of mine works for Morgan Stanley/Dean Witter in San Francisco. The headquarters for MSDW is the largest tenant in the WTC.

She is devastated, she had to listen to the "hoot" (a "hoot" is an interoffice telecom system that is set up amongst various locations) as they evacuated her department in NY. One guy she personally knows kept updating everyone over the hoot as he spent 10 minutes after he was supposed to leave looking for the "Disaster Plan" -- she doesn't think he made it out.

Only one person in her NY department has been confirmed as OK -- all others are unknown.

Heidi
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:26 PM
My husband and I have recently been seriously contemplating a job offer from MSDW's New York office - they have, in fact, been trying to recruit him for four years. Needless to say, when we spoke on the phone this afternoon, we both uttered simultaneously, "thank god we didn't move to New York".

I cannot imagine the terror that many have experienced and continue to experience there.

What an unbelievably horrific day of such untold human suffering.

dogchushu
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:40 PM
Oh Jennaisis, how awful for you. The photos were absolutely horrific... I think I'm going to be stuck with these images for a long time. I can't imagine seeing it live. You know, I almost never look at accidents or watch graphic news footage, but I had to look at the TV coverage today because it just wouldn't sink in that this was real until I saw it.

dogchushu
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:44 PM
It's strange, but I keep thinking back to the reopening celebrations after the buildings had been cleaned and repaired after the 1993 bombing. There was such a sense of pride that they'd rebuilt after that awful event. And now the buildings are just gone. Also, I visited the Trade Centers in 1976 when they were virtually brand new. Now, no one will see them again.

Miniwelsh
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:44 PM
NancyL, your post made me sick to my stomach. I am trrying so hard not to think about the personalities involved to keep my head on straight. To think about the poor people who had no idea of what was coming or going on is so sad I just can't stand it. I keep thinking about all those poor people on the planes hoping that they would wake up from what had to be a bad dream. Jennesis, please be strong. my heart goes out to you for the horror you witnessed today. the thought of people jumping from the WTC is too much to bear, let alone witness. Hang in there sweetie.

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*

JumperEq
Sep. 11, 2001, 08:53 PM
My friend sent me these quotes by Nostradamus today.

"In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb."

"The third big war will begin when the big city is burning" - Nostradamus 1654

~*~Erin B~*~
Have you hugged your horse today?

geckoUBC
Sep. 11, 2001, 11:43 PM
Erin B you have just succeeded in completely frightening me to death... those predictions are way too spooky.

Aleesha

Serenade
Sep. 12, 2001, 10:47 AM
I would just like to say that while upon initially hearing Nostradamous, he can be frightening...it is really a load of crap. I'm sorry, but "the third big war will begin when the big city is burning"? That's like me making the "predicition" that "the next big war will come when nations turn against each other."

In ALL of the big wars, big cities burned (and more completely than NYC is right now). I know this is a horrible time of crisis we're going through, but we need to stop freaking ourselves and each other out, and keep our heads on straight.

Peace,
Kate

Kate

HelloAgain
Sep. 12, 2001, 10:57 AM
I've already posted this, I think 3 times today. Nostradamus did not write that verse. A Canadian student named Neil Marshall wrote them, to prove that ANYONE can make up something as vague and predictive as Nostradamus.

Here is his website, if you need proof:
http://www.ed.brocku.ca/~nmarshal/nostradamus.htm

Unless you believe Neil Marshall can see the future, please join me in the fight to stamp out ignorance. Tell everyone you know that this is 100% pure hooey (even more so that *actual* Nostradamus quotes, which are also horseshit IMHO, no offence to horseshit.)

Jennasis
Sep. 12, 2001, 11:15 AM
I have to admit to all of you that when I watched the first tower collapse live before my eyes, i wept. I wept openly and loudly (praying to God to make this all not real). And as I wept I was for a brief awful moment, overjoyed that after 5 years in the business (tv news, read my above post)...after 5 years of being subjected to murders, disasters and incalcuable loss of life and having become the cynical, jaded, bitter, 25 year old that i am...that I was still able to be so moved, so saddened by an event that it made cry. It meant that I hadn't completely become the cold heartless person that the news business turns most of us into. Lately I have felt just that way. jaded, and indifferent to the constant loss of life I am surrounded by. I am ashamed to say I was happy I could cry and feel overwhelming saddness.

Am I wrong? /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

N&B&T
Sep. 12, 2001, 11:20 AM
No, jennasis, you are not wrong. It is awful to feel frozen inside.

CAH
Sep. 12, 2001, 11:43 AM
How can one sum up the greatest lifetime disaster in a few sentences?

To AHC, Jennasis and the other members who witnessed the carnage first hand, all I can say is that I cannot remotely imagine the thoughts and feelings that you experienced during those hours. Your lives will change because of this.

Find someone to talk to. Don't shut it in. And if you make life changing decisions because of it, then so be.

Duffy
Sep. 12, 2001, 12:03 PM
Totally agree...There are crisis management/counselors available to you. Do not consider it a weakness in any way, shape, or form, to avail yourself any help out there.

Cactuskate
Sep. 12, 2001, 12:15 PM
Jennasis, that is what makes us "the humans" and the rest the animals. Our ability to emote.

I was in a therapy situation a couple of years ago. The first day I was there I went into this little tiny chapel. It was just for meditation. No sermons, no preaching. It was amazing. I started welling up with tears, they just kept coming. Within the next 15 minutes I was sobbing. It was like a dam had broke and all the pent up emotions within were streaming out. It actually felt very good. For the next week I carried a pack of tissues. I was constantly in tears. Couldn't seem to make them stop. I wasn't sobbing or mournful, I just was teary. We all came to laugh at it. I still have moments when they overcome me. I think it is a good thing.

Listen to your body and your heart. You are not weak if you feel!!! It will help keep you from that callous self you seem to think you have become. And by all means avail yourself of ANY support that is offered. We find it in some strange places sometimes.

hoopoe
Sep. 12, 2001, 05:20 PM
Jennasis, We all admire your courage and openess. Remember that you are first human and getting hardened to the day to day issues of your work is part of keeping you sane. I know in mine you develope a crust that helps you cope. Dosn't mean you don't care. The build up of the chemicals like adreneline can produce some interesting if unwelcome physical reactions. I would not worry that prior to Tuesday you were a heartless journalist, you just developed your crust.

Tuesday was too much and has happened to every journalist I have ever known. Uncle Walter shed tears when he told me my Presedent was killed. He also shed tears when Armstrong walked on the moon. Mr Browkaw could barely contain himself when he mentioned the importance of phoning his kids just to check in, even though they could see him plainly, safe and sound.

I know what you just went through is too unbearable to take right now, but what you and the countless other camera, and print reporters have done is brought the full reality of this to the citizens of the world instantly.

To put it in perspecive, remember the photodocumentaries of the camps as they were liberated by the troops in WWII? Don't those images burn in your memory? They are a testiment to what a people can endure and they served to inform the "folks back home" just what was the awful truth of the previous years fighting. There were many people who did not believe or know the facts about the camps. There are those today who still insist that it was fake. It is my understanding that the troops were unsure that the victims should want to be photographed. They said no, this is my witness, my testimony.

CNN talked with a still photographer who took some chilling shots of falling bodies. He said he hesitated but then realised he was there to document the ugly truth.

No matter what your decision, What you did will serve to document a moment in the worlds history that is yet to be determined in its scope.

I pray you seek help from your employer for stress and Post traumatic stress disorder counceling.

Please check in from time to time.

Heidi
Sep. 12, 2001, 06:00 PM
I've been thinking a great deal about you the last couple of days Jennasis and re-thinking your previous thread about promotions/raises.

Given the events of the past two days, I'd argue there isn't enough money in the world for those who perform your job. I know that I, for one, could not do it.

As others have noted, you are only human and I imagine that much of the 'numbness' you've experienced is a self-protective measure - I mean, how are we to react when we witness people plummeting 80 stories to their death, a building, hell a monument, engulfed in flames and crumbling to a pile of ashes?

You are performing a valuable job Jennasis - at the same time, if you are unhappy with your job, make a change.

Take care of yourself out there and know that there are many of us who wish you well.

ErinB
Sep. 12, 2001, 06:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Erin B you have just succeeded in completely frightening me to death... those predictions are way too spooky. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm sorry, didn't mean to! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~*~

Goodyfourshoes!
Sep. 13, 2001, 06:47 AM
edit

N&B&T
Sep. 13, 2001, 09:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Worthy:Actually, come to think of it, I feel like hugging everybody I know. Including the mailman.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup.

Midge
Sep. 13, 2001, 12:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Worthy:
Actually, come to think of it, I feel like hugging everybody I know. Including the mailman.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just came home from the barn and 'my' firemen were out washing their trucks. I stopped to say thanks. I get the feeling I wasn't the first. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hattie
Sep. 13, 2001, 01:02 PM
I have watched TV with my 10 yr old son and I have told him that they(firemen and policemen) are the true role models - not the high paid sports figures and entertainment industry figures. Some have been working for 24+ hours trying to rescue victims. God bless them.

Miniwelsh
Sep. 13, 2001, 01:19 PM
My father and brother are both on the rescue squad in St. Mary's County, Maryland. My uncle is on the fire department. My mom has three search and rescue dogs (they are approved for local SAR use, but not FEMA). Any one of them would have been in those buildings in a flash to help out and could very easily have been among the missing if they lived in New York. They are much braver than I could ever be and I am so thankful that there are people like the brave heros in New York who are willing to risk their lives for strangers.

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*