PDA

View Full Version : Actual Names of Riders Please

free
Jul. 23, 2002, 08:18 AM
Would anyone care to share their names so that I could live vicariously through you and follow your progress in the COTH? (or would that take the mystery out of it?) Thanks if you want to.

free
Jul. 23, 2002, 08:18 AM
Would anyone care to share their names so that I could live vicariously through you and follow your progress in the COTH? (or would that take the mystery out of it?) Thanks if you want to.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 23, 2002, 09:35 AM
Free,

I have no problem posting my "real" name on the board...I'm Sharon Sluss, CPA, pleased to meet you. I'm a Cost Accountant/Financial Analyst with a small pharmaceutical company in Research Triangle Park in Durham, NC. My desire was to always go to the olympics..just a dream now...thus Daydream Believer. It's also a good song for those of you old enough to remember /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I have 4 horses, a husband, 4 dogs (JRT's) and 5 cats...get the picture? An animal nut...to include the husband!

Can you tell us about yourself? I looked at your profile and saw that your birthday was 1903? Is that correct or a typo?

Anyway, I hope others will do the same as I have. I'm always curious about the folks behind the user names and what they do for a living, etc...

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

flbay
Jul. 23, 2002, 05:50 PM
free, what is COTH? i have seen it referenced all over the board. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Daydream Believer
Jul. 23, 2002, 06:00 PM
It's an abbreviation for Chronicle of the Horse Magazine. Free was asking for our names so she could watch for them in the results from competitions published in the magazine to see how we placed, etc.. I see that I'm still the only person who "uncloaked." That's OK. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Daydream Believer
Jul. 23, 2002, 06:45 PM
Hi Ann aka Drifting Cloud

I'm glad you uncloaked too. I was beginning to feel a bit odd all by myself! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Duramax
Jul. 23, 2002, 06:56 PM
Like Drifting Cloud, I don't think you have to worry about seeing my name in COTH anytime soon, but I'll go ahead and reveal all my juicy details anyway... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I'm Janna Bankston, and I am a senior at Clemson University in upstate SC. I am a marketing major. I live in Greenville and commute back and forth to Clemson, b/c my horses are in Greenville.

I am a graduate H-A Pony Clubber, and I'm still actively involved with PC. I'm going to a seminar in Lexington, KY in October that will certify me to start participating in C-3 ratings. I hope to eventually become a National Examiner!!

I have two horses. One is actually my fiance's mothers that I am competing for her. Her name is Shasta McNasty and she is a 7 year old chestnut Appendix mare. She will be doing her first training this spring. I hope to do my first prelim on her sometime after that... *fingers crossed* it seems like I can't ever get above training level, so maybe this is my chance!

My other horse is an 8 year old gray 3/4 TB, 1/4 QH gelding named Duramax. He will be doing BN later this fall- or as soon as we work some of our issues out! He is 8 yrs old, and I'm the 8th person to own him, so he's been passed around quite a bit b/c he's difficult. We are making progress though!

Thats me! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

flbay
Jul. 23, 2002, 07:19 PM
OOOPS! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif i just subscribed to COTH, received my first issue today. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif maybe i will now understand some of the bb lingo.

free
Jul. 23, 2002, 10:32 PM
that I "uncloak" also, but none of you will be able to live vicariously through me. (If you can, boy are you in trouble!)

I feel almost as old as that birthdate ( it is actually '41 (19 not 18) and I do remember the tune "Daydream Believer" quite well. I just realized that I have been humming it a lot lately. I guess from seeing it on here. One of my favorites.

I am "free" on here because Mary was taken and it was a quick name that I had admired in a novel. (Also to convince the animals that they DO NOT own me) Real name (nothing glamorous) Mary Helen Sparks. I am down here taking care of the farm with two horses, one mini, six dogs ( someone dropped the latest one off 5 days ago) and two cats. My husband will be joining me here in Florida after he takes his second retirement. We have eight children and six grandchildren.

The reason that I am here is because our youngest son followed his horses down, I followed him, and my DH is following me. Now #8 child recently moved to Virginia to become a working student for the O'Conners for as long as he can afford to be in this sport. My license plate reads "Go broke, buy a horse". We are addicted and horse poor....and only been in it for three years.

The horse that Andy thought he would go Intermediate with in a couple of months was just diagnosed with suspensory problems so we can relate to the heartache of that.

Enough already! Someone elses' turn. I could tell from some of the postings that quite a few of you knew each other from Events, so I didn't think that you would mind sharing.

msj
Jul. 24, 2002, 03:55 AM
Free, I'm thrilled to find someone older than I am on the board. Born in '45 so that puts me at 56, pushing 57 really fast.

I'm Susan James and am one of those weird people that use their middle name instead of the first name.

Have a small farm in Honeoye Falls, NY (small town just outside Rochester)with 2 horses and a house and barn cat. Eventually will get another dog, but that's not in the cards right now.

One horse, Chocolate, is a 15 yr old retired QH and usually referred to as a PITA pony. The other horse, Tiger Bay, is a lovely 10 yr old OTTB, who was evented to training level before I got him. He usually forgets he's a tb and is a very kind and honest guy. I still try to train on a regular basis with Carol Kozlowski and Carrie Wehle. Both are very kind to this little old lady! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

When I was much younger, I evented, did hunters and open jumpers and even did a stint as a DQ. Now, I just have the horses for enjoyment. I'm the first to admit that I no longer have the guts to do any serious jumping. The ground is just way too hard and I don't bounce anymore! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You will usually find me at Genesee Valley Riding and Driving Club (GVRDC) and Stuart HT and the GVRDC Jumping Derby in the X-C warm-up ring with my trusty megaphone telling people when to go to the start box. You'll also find me at a few of GVRDC twilight dressage shows as well.

I also get to relive vicariously all the thrills of eventing thru all the other event riders nowadays. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

msj

You know you're a horse person when...you can find your boots by smell.

PWBTB@WC (People who browse the BB at Work Clique)

Daydream Believer
Jul. 24, 2002, 04:33 AM
Just me again. I wanted to state that your chances of seeing me in COTH are fairly slim as well for this season. My primary competition horse, What About Bob, a 14 year old TBX is laid up with really sore hocks right now. His arthritis is flaring up pretty bad. Bob made it to training level back in the mid 90's but a suspensory injury knocked him out of competition in 98 and I'm still trying to get him back to training level. It's not looking real good now unfortunately with his other problems giving him so much trouble but there's hope that the Adequan will help. He's a good looking pasture ornament so he's not going anywhere.

My other gelding is a 14:1 hand BLM mustang named Nevada Star that I "rescued" when I lived in Watertown, NY. I found him in a backyard waiting for the killer man to come get him. $450 saved him and he's a wonderful little guy...a great jumper and fabulous dressage pony. He's done Novice eventing and 1st level dressage. Unfortunately, he's injured his left front foot...we suspect a navicular ligament now...and he's out indefinitely too. I love this little guy and will never sell him either. We're going to try Adequan on him too to see if it helps.

My only ride at the moment is a Connemara/TB mare that's another rescue. She's just weaned a surprise foal(another long story) and is starting back to work but she's quite green and it will be next spring before she' ready to event. So that's why you shouldn't look too hard for my name this fall but if Bob gets back to work, it's possible.

Nice to meet all of you. I'm glad you all decided to "uncloak" as well. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

cinnabar
Jul. 24, 2002, 05:58 AM
Hi Free, I'll be next!

I'm Angel Martin-Dias and live in Gibsonia, PA, which is just north of Pittsburgh. I do environmental project management, but it's more paper shuffling and mousing then hugging trees and kissing bunnies.

I have 3 horses, a retired Dutch Warmblood who just turned 21 - I evented him through prelim and then he taught my best friend to event. My intermediate mare, Cordelia, and Aldie (who will show as Judge Not), a 5 year old who hasn't competed yet, round out the crew...well, I guess that's not fair to say, because my trophy husband is a major part of the team as is Tucker, a yellow lab (the bestest dog in the world!). I'm not competing right now since Cordelia is for sale, and Aldie's not quite ready to go yet.

Duramax mentioned she was in PC, and I was too, back in the day. I'm a graduate A from Harts Run Hunt and still try to help out with club stuff and regional stuff when I can.

msj, hope you have a great weekend at Stuart!

cinnabar

Pixie Dust
Jul. 24, 2002, 07:14 AM
HI,
You won't see my name either! I'm Betsy Miller and I live in Maryland, Southern Prince Georges County. I'm 39, and also remember Daydream Believer! I have a 6 year old OTTB that I am taking in un-recognized horse trials this year. We've done some BN and I plan to do a novice in October. Plan to do some recognized stuff next year though. My horse's name is Hektor, but I plan to give him a "show name" next year.

I used to do some eventing in the 80's when I boarded at Olney Farm in MD, while I was still in college. I had an OTTB named Steamer and we did Novice.

Superheroes of the universe, unite! http://www.allmightysenators.com/super.html

http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

BBowen
Jul. 24, 2002, 07:43 AM
This is fun. I am Becky Bowen, Glen Ellyn, IL and you will probably never see my name in the Chronicle either. My horse is a 15 y.o. Dutch Warmblood/TB mare, Fan Dancer a.k.a. April, that I event at novice and we are having a ball. She is recovering from a bruised tendon right now and we are just starting back to work. I am an area sales manager for a food additives company. Nice to meet everyone.

Becky

Smart Alec
Jul. 24, 2002, 08:03 AM
"I work as a library manager in Columbia, SC so I have a long & sucky commute. I'm trying to find another job closer to Aiken."
My boyfriend's father lives near Columbia, SC in Eastover. It's a nice area (so much land!) He does Equine Massage. What library do you work at?...I'm thinking of relocating in the next year or two and I am a Library Assistant.

Anyways...So hear's my actual stats....which will probably not be appearing in COTH anytime soon either!

My name is Lisa, I am 24 and work as a Library Assistant at an art college (which I attended and graduated with a BFA in Design/Illustration). I own a 'spunky' 11-year-old-still-green-with-attitude TB. His name is Smart Alec and he's my pal. He was injured in Feb and we are coming back slowly and steadily. I just started adding canter back into our work but we mostly work walk, trot, do groundpoles, and trail ride. Hopefully, if all goes well in another 2 months we can begin to jump again. Meanwhile, we work on basics which we need anyways. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Me fail english? That's umpossible.
-Ralph Wigham /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tle
Jul. 24, 2002, 08:03 AM
Angel!! I don't think I realized that was you! How's everything going?!

Ok, guess I"m next. I'm Tammy Makela and I maintain the corporate intranet for Elder-Beerman Stores (midwest retail chain with 68 stores near you... so go non-horsey shopping and keep me employed! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). I remember Daydream Believer too (my fav Monkees song) but only in reruns. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Doubt you'll see me in COTH results either. Temporarily on hiatus from competition with my 15yo tb mare Lady Chardinan (Char) but hope to do 3 events later this fall. I've had her for almost 9 years (my first horse) and we've gone from green rider/greener horse to fairly competent at Prelim and tried our hand at a CCI* last fall (although we didn't finish XC). Phoebe the formely stray cat and Reese the 9yo Newf finish the family. Other things I do: currently president of the Central Ohio Eventing Association, webmaster of the Official Area VIII website (www.horse-events.com/area8), (http://www.horse-events.com/area8) announcer for several local horse trials, new "Buffy" addict, oh... and I've applied to be on "Survivor" 3 different times. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

YEA RED WINGS!!! 2002 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!! HOCKEYTOWN FOREVER!!

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!

Survivor thoughts -- Thailand here we come. BTW PICK ME FOR S6!!

cinnabar
Jul. 24, 2002, 08:06 AM
Yep, it's me Tammy! I've missed seeing you!!

tle
Jul. 24, 2002, 08:30 AM
Are you going to be at the Annual Meeting?! We could definitely plan to catch up there. Miss you too!

YEA RED WINGS!!! 2002 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!! HOCKEYTOWN FOREVER!!

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!

Survivor thoughts -- Thailand here we come. BTW PICK ME FOR S6!!

cinnabar
Jul. 24, 2002, 08:47 AM
I'm hoping to be there. Geez, no excuses since it's only 2 hours away!

drifting cloud
Jul. 24, 2002, 09:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What library do you work at?...I'm thinking of relocating in the next year or two and I am a Library Assistant.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I work in the small internal library at the SC Department of Transportation. I want to get another job in a public, academic (college), or public school library. Where there's a bit more action and the work is more varied (and interesting).

I'm enjoying reading everyone's stories! I'm a bit shocked at how many of us have injured horses (especially with tendon & ligament injuries!!!). Seems to be a trend there. Oh well...at least we're all in good company! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

"Be good and you will be lonesome." - Mark Twain

Hilary
Jul. 24, 2002, 11:03 AM
I just went ahead and used my real name - wasn't feeling very creative when I signed on I guess.

I'm Hilary Miskoe DeAngelis (can't wholeheartedly recommend changing your name when you get married - it's a bit of a pita) I'm 35. Been riding since before I could walk (mom had a horse) and am a graduate H-A from Mt. Kearsarge PC. I have 3 horses - Alison, my 22 year old retired event mare who took me prelim successfully, Dark Star, a 2 year old filly I've raised from a foal - her mama was a TB mare I had who had too-early retirement from a weird lameness, and her dad is Brandenburg's Windstar, an Irish Sport Horse. (Star and Deltawave's filly were conceived and born on the same day!) and Clancy - who's kind of my interim horse to compete while Star grows up! He's a 13 year old TB gelding - we've been doing Training level all summer with an eye to moving up as soon as we have our collective act together. We also have my mom's horse who she trail rides and drives.

I work for a community foundation and review scholarship and grant applications (NH residents and organizations only I'm afraid...). I have a non-horsey (but fairly tolerant) husband, 2 cats and 3 goats. We live on my family's farm with my mom.

SaddleFitterVA
Jul. 24, 2002, 11:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daydream Believer:

I have 4 horses, a husband, 4 dogs (JRT's) and 5 cats...get the picture? An animal nut...to include the husband!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh goodness, I read 4 horses, 4 husbands, 4 dogs....whoops...double take, reread that /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

Whew, only one husband.

I'm Melanie Voght, former saddle fitter (hence the screenname), work in the software/computer industry, currently testing.

1 husband
4 horses
1 child
3 cats
2 dogs + a neighbor's dog who is always at my house

Don't bother looking for my name in the COTH though, I'm afraid that the above list of critters and family, with the full time job, pretty much guarantees no big shows for me.

Mel

Backstage
Jul. 24, 2002, 11:30 AM
You won't be seeing my name lit up in lights in COTH either, as I live up north in good 'ol Canada. Not that you would be seeing me in COTH if I did live in the US...but I digress...

My name is Calina and will be attending University in the fall. The goal is to do two/three years of a science degree and then go to vet school. Interesting you should mention your many injuries, because I would like to specialize in performance horses...actually, my real goal is to be team vet (and I'm not picky about which team, though preferably US, GBritain, Oz or NZ....or Canada if they get their act together and get a team to an international competition but thats beside the point) or specialize in Equine Reproductive Techonology...

In any event, I own a Tb/Welsh Cob mare who is my event prospect named Chloe. She is 10, but had not done much before I bought her and started to retrain her a year and a half ago (we could get into that, but I don't think you want to hear it all). She has completed one entry level event (2'9'') and will got pre-training (3') in August. She absolutely loves to jump, and is figuring out the XC thing very well. So, we'll see how things progress.

I am a pony clubber and will be attempting the riding phase of my B level on August 12/13...wish me luck (aka pray for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ).

Oh, and free, my nana's maiden name was Sparks /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~ Charter Member of the Welsh Cob clique ~

Daydream Believer
Jul. 24, 2002, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaddleFitterVA:
[Oh goodness, I read 4 horses, 4 husbands, 4 dogs....whoops...double take, reread that /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

Whew, only one husband.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Melanie,

Don't worry...one husband is enough! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Camstock
Jul. 24, 2002, 11:59 AM
Thanks for posting guys!

A little about me. My name is Camie Stockhausen. Some of my friends started calling me "Camstock" and it just stuck, thus the screen name.

I am a former broadcast Meteorologist who left the biz because the hours SUCKED and it was too hard to get away for foxhunting and eventing on the weekends. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif So I bagged that and now I do intellectual property work for Iowa State. Not as exciting as broadcasting, but the benefits are hard to argue with...

I coach foxhunters and lower level eventers on the side through my Field Day (http://www.horsesiowa.com/Field.html) It is a kickin' lot of fun.

The hubster didn't ride when I met him and now he's got the riding bug bad. That I count as my greatest achievement in life. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif We foxhunt and event together and I know that I am one serious lucky dawg.

We have 4 horses (all sound, knock wood!), 4 cats and 2 dogs.

[This message was edited by Camstock on Jul. 24, 2002 at 04:36 PM.]

KatieRiley
Jul. 24, 2002, 12:06 PM
Actually, I recently married, so I am Katie Riley Cains.. mostly known as "Candy Canes." /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif *sigh* Be careful when you get married and change your name. I live in Huntington, WV.

I am a recent graduate of Marshall University's computer science program. I work for the University in Research and am starting to free lance technical writing to help with showing and equipment expenses.

I'm more of a lurker than anything else, but this board is fun to check in on when things at work are slow. I know EventerAJ and JesslynW, I was a working student with them at Dorothy's last year. (I'm sorry to hear about your bad trips at Champagne Run.)

My horse is actually sound, thank heavens. Bubba (Adrienne's Hope) is a nine year old chestnut gelding with a rather "sensitive side." I've had him for about 4 years. We are finally getting to our first show; it's been quite a learning process for him and me... we are a perfect example of why you should NEVER mix green rider with an ultrasensitive green horse... but after a year riding a confidence building horse and a year off for Bub, we are getting along beautifully with the awesome instruction of a local eventer Robyn Hazelett. We are going to do the novice combined test at Sayre School, in Lexington, KY. If all goes well (meaning I come up with the cash) we will be doing our first novice horse trial at Jumpstart in Lexington, KY.

Nice to meet everyone!

Eventers are the best!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

hobson
Jul. 24, 2002, 12:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cinnabar:

I'm Angel Martin-Dias and live in Gibsonia, PA, which is just north of Pittsburgh. I do environmental project management, but it's more paper shuffling and mousing then hugging trees and kissing bunnies.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, cinnabar, I remember you from my Pony Club days around Pittsburgh! Do I remember correctly that Cinnabar was your horse back then or am I making that up? My name's Jen Britton, and you were many rating levels ahead of me. I rode with Beaver Valley PC, and I remember how HRH always used to kick our butts at rallies. In the 80s I used to show in WPDA and some WPCTA as well, so perhaps I've bumped into you at those shows also.

EventerAJ
Jul. 24, 2002, 12:46 PM
Hi Katie!! We miss you!! Congrats, BTW! Glad things are going well with Bub /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If you feel like stoppin' by anytime, I could use some more help! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif LOL

OK my real name is Audrea Johnson, but everyone who knows me calls me AJ (shorter, easier pronunciation...so trainer can say "AJ, sit up NOW!!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). I'm an eventer, hence "EventerAJ." I'm 17 years old; born in SE Kentucky, moved to Chicago area when I was 4. Just now moved back "home", to Frankfort, KY. I gotta say Area VIII ROCKS!!! (well, compared to li'l ol' Area IV... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

My horse is "Mack", shown under "Answered Prayers." We are currently competing at the preliminary level, and shooting for our first one-star this fall (KY).

Great topic! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~AJ~
"Got no excuses for the things that we've done; we were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly young." K.C.

cinnabar
Jul. 24, 2002, 12:49 PM
Hi Jen! I remember you too! You are exactly right...Cinnabar was horse #1. I know we've crossed paths, and hopefully will soon again!

asterix
Jul. 24, 2002, 01:08 PM
OK, I'm sitting here trying to think of a good reason not to "unlurk"...and can't come up with one.
My name is Nancy -- asterix comes from my cat, who is named after a French comic book character (long, irrelevant story). I joined the BB when I was looking for a horse, after my first year eventing on a leased horse. I've been riding for many years, but that year was definitely the most challenging, rewarding, and engaging of all the riding I've done. I've got the bug for sure!
I am now the completely besotted owner of William, a giant (17.2h), beautiful ID/TB cross. He'd been converted from a foxhunter in Ireland to eventing last year, doing Novice and Training. It's clear that he has the scope for Prelim, so now we have to find out if I have the guts for it!
We are getting ready to debut this fall at Novice at Blue Ridge (area II); I fell so completely in love with him that I bought him even though the prepurchase showed a bone chip in his fetlock. Arthroscopic surgery in Feb., 4 months off, and 6 weeks of under saddle rehab followed...and I'm just now starting to do the kind of work you'd do to prep for a Novice HT...
I'm sure most of you can relate, though, to having emotion conquer common sense in this arena. That having been said, he IS an awesome horse, so maybe I'm a genius, not an idiot, for having taken a chance on him...time will tell, I'm sure.
I am a web consultant for non profit/public sector folks in the medical research and health fields. This means I often have a flexible schedule, which is wonderful, but also a, er, flexible income, which is not so good. I teach at my barn, but that just barely takes the edge off board etc. etc.
I'd love to know if other BBers are planning on Area II events this fall; the friendly atmosphere at horse trials is the second best thing about this discipline, after that, you know, whole xc stuff.

Bensmom
Jul. 24, 2002, 01:09 PM
free -- is it Nash that is injured?!! My trainer fitted Andy's saddle right before Camino and I've "known" Nash since Pat had him.

Alec -- is it your boyfriend's father that has the massge school in Eastover? I am *really* interested in coming up to school next year.

I have been in the Chronicle, but only once and only for winning a BN, but I'll save that issue forever!! I'm Libby Duffy, and I live in Tallahassee, FL and practice law as an assistant AG. Ben and I have done Novice and BN, and took some time off to work on basics and hope to return to competition this fall. I also, with the assistance of the wonderful folks on this board, made the decision to buy a 5 year old OTBTTB with a nasty old bow. Well, the bow hasn't kept him out of work, but with some groceries in him, he's proven to be a very accident prone Throroughbrat! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Hopefully, he will stay sound for a while after two vet calls last week and he can go back to work. I run a small barn within a barn with my four (I have two semi-retired ones that my husband rides) and of a couple of friends horses and some day would love to be able to quit practicing law and run a barn instead, but I haven't won the lottery yet. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Perhaps the uncloaking can bring about some good healing vibes for everyone!!

Libby

cweimer
Jul. 24, 2002, 01:29 PM
In fact, it must have been in the 1970s when I won a class in a local h/j show in English Pleasure on a school horse. I think I still have a copy of the issue /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

I'm Catherine Weimer, and just retired my horse Pete who was eventing at Training level out west (he's the funny yellow one). My young horse, Nicky, will hopefully be a regular feature once she starts eventing next year. That, of course, assumes that she gets backed in the VERY near future.

In my other life, I do consumer products marketing for a very large, very well known corporation based in NJ. The division that I work for is named "Personal Products", with some well-known brands that tend to make people blush when you discuss them at dinner. It's taken me two years to learn that lesson! I'm also married with a dog and two cats (and two goldfish in the trough!), and am restoring a 175 year old house into a respectable little farm.

free
Jul. 24, 2002, 01:41 PM
Bensmom......yes it is Nash. The x-rays and ultrasounds show that it is an old injury that is flairing up again. I just can't believe it. Nash is such a proud horse and lived for X-country. I was so upset yesterday that I took one of the dogs antibiotics instead of giving it to her. I didn't realize until I noticed that she was still dancing around waiting for it!

Can you believe that we would be so stupid as to not have a prepurchase before paying that kind of money? It looks as though he is finished for the levels that Andy needed him for. I guess it's all up to poor Miller now. At least the saddle fits him also and Andy loves it in case your trainer wants to know.

terry
Jul. 24, 2002, 02:05 PM
I am uncloaking and I am not even an event rider. My name is Terry Bruno and I do combined driving with my younger daughter's (Charlotte)old ponyclub pony, Sadie Hawkins. My older daughter (Gaby) is the eventer and also in Pony Club. She is currently going Training on her lovely TB, Bandit (True Romantic) and if all goes well, she may move up to Prelim this fall. We all live in Bedford, MA along with three dogs (Lab, Corgi and Brittany) and I and my husband both work at a company in Cambridge, MA that makes electro-optical instruments for astronomers and folks like NASA and the Air Force. There is not much traffic on the driving forum, so I read the eventing forum and pass useful tidbits on to Gaby. I also volunteer when I can. Gaby and I will be fence judging in a week and a half at Over the Walls in Hardwick, MA. I am in the process of vetting a Percheron/TB cross mare for me to ride and drive, so keep your fingers crossed, as far as we can tell, she's a real sweetheart.

canterlope
Jul. 24, 2002, 02:18 PM
Hi, my name is Diane McBroom, better known as DC. In my former life, I was a CPA with Deloitte and Touche in NYC (my office was on the 101st floor of One World Trade Center /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif ), but now I do horses full time. My husband, Steve, and I breed, raise, and train TB race horses for the track at our farm in Floyd VA. We also have an odd assortment of other horses (six Morgans, two Quarter Horses, three TB/Paint crosses, one TB/Percheron cross, and one TB/Morgan cross) as well as seven dogs, three cats, and two kids.

I mostly event four horses; Due South (Gus), Woodbine (Woody), Icando (Oliver or Ollie), and Keeneland (Dolly). However, Ollie is semi-retired and Dolly is taking a year off to have a baby, so you probably won't see their names anytime soon. In addition to the event results, you may see Gus and Woody in the hunter/jumper results since I sometimes take them to the odd "A" hunter show to do some schooling during the summer and winter.

In addition to the riding, I am also the USEA Area II Chairman and webmaster (www.usea2.net), (http://www.usea2.net),) volunteer at several recognized events, and secretary for the Virginia Commonwealth Games Equestrian Sports (Virginia's equivalent of the Olympics).

Next?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whoops, there goes another rubber tree plant!

Daydream Believer
Jul. 24, 2002, 02:40 PM
Diane aka Canterlope,

Good to see another CPA. D & T are auditors for our company...small world isn't it? How did you manage to leave accounting and get into horses full time? I'd love to do that!

Nice to meet you,

Sharon

cweimer
Jul. 24, 2002, 02:48 PM
Terry - how cool is combined driving! I spent a summer grooming for a driver in Germany, and had an amazing time . . . I always laugh when people say eventers have too much equipment!

flbay
Jul. 24, 2002, 04:48 PM
Free, my heart goes out to you. I have never known Nash to have any unsoundness. That must be heartbreaking for Andy. Good luck to the Miller team!

I guess I wasn't feeling too creative the day I signed up. My name is Melissa Glantz. flbay is because I live in Florida and all the horses I have owned are bay.

I currently ride an exprelim tb guy, Trinity, whom I recently have been given the privilege to call my own. He is a tremendously gifted athlete..but extremely sensitive and has a flair for the dramatic too! We have done only two HT's so far, ready to get into the fall season and hopefully move up to training.

I also own a retired 26yo tb/arab mare. We evented briefly when she was 21, then a suspensory injury...prior to that we did hunters and trail stuff. I have had her for 22 years.

On the nonhorsey side, I am a physician at the University. I finished my training here and decided area III would be a good place to call home. A 12 yo mutt and priceless non horsey (but very tolerant) hubby round out my family.

arnika
Jul. 24, 2002, 05:38 PM
Well, I'm not an eventer(yet) but my daughter Lauren is a pony clubber and is now starting to ride in horse trials. My name is Terry Swan, I'm a physician assistant but due to a two year old daughter(Megan) I'm currently a stay-at-home mom. We have a farm with the pony mare, Lauren's gelding, the 20yo Tb mare and her babies. And last but not least, my 7 yo mare and her 27 yo mom, Arnika, from whom I took my BB name. Yes a farm with 6 mares! Our poor gelding is quite outnumbered.

To round out the bunch are the 5 dogs(2 collies and 3 JRTs), a cat and a husband(non-horsey, we refer to him as "barn manager").

arnika
Jul. 24, 2002, 06:10 PM
I meant to put this in my post before, I just received the COTH 7/19 issue and it has a new treatment for suspensory injuries in one of the articles.

It states that "Doug Herthel, DVM, of the Alamo Pintado Equine Clinic, in Los Olivos, Calif. began using bone marrow injections to treat suspensory injuries in 1995." It doesn't state if all were new injuries. The article does go on to say that 100 horses were treated and 66 others were used as controls with conventional therapy.

"Herthel's results were impressive. In the group treated conventionally, 15.2 percent of the horses returned to soundness within 12 months. In those treated with bone marrow, 84 percent returned to soundness in one year. He's used this technique on jumpers, dressage horses, race horses and endurance horses."

The article goes into more detail but I'm a very slow typist /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . I just thought some of you might be interested after reading the earlier posts.

Terry

Smart Alec
Jul. 24, 2002, 06:54 PM
Bensmom! Yup, that is him... Mike Scott. He relocated about 2 yrs. ago. He has a great reputation and does a great job with a lot of horses...even my freshy! He is a very good teacher and you'll learn a lot if you take the classes. His info. is at www.equinemmt.com (http://www.equinemmt.com) The site is being totally redone so keep re-checking for it. good luck! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Terry...you don't live too far from me (I'm in Southie), bedford is about 45 minutes away. I've been to your local tack shop (the Complete Equestrian) owned by Nancy---she is so nice and always has so many choices! Anyways, maybe I'll see you at Over the Walls--I'm hoping to go there myself!

-Ralph Wiggum /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

free
Jul. 24, 2002, 07:05 PM
We will do anything (that we can afford) to help this horse. I will have my son call the vet who is treating him there and I will call ours down here in Florida as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

deltawave
Jul. 24, 2002, 07:12 PM
It's fun how you "think" you know someone's "persona" and when they finally reveal all it's a lot different than you supposed! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My name's Lynn Cronin, I'm 37, and am a Cardiologist in Holland, Michigan (near Grand Rapids). Delta Wave is the show name of Kelly, my 14 year old TB mare, whose "issues" are frequent topics in my posts! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I bought her off the track at 4, and we've pretty much taught each other the ropes. We both had babies a couple of years ago, and are working our way back into eventing, with many trials and tribulations! We'd be more successful doing jumpers and dressage, I think, but I'm determined to get us back to where we were pre-babies (competitive at Training level).

The only time I was ever in the Chronicle was for Tammy's Original Internet ATC team (I was a member) and I think once in the Results for Queeny Park a million years ago. Not looking like we'll be there anytime soon, unless it's in the FOR SALE section: "14 y/o TB mare, 3 good gaits, one screw loose, good home only..." /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have a 2yo filly, Kelly's daughter, who hopefully will be my next eventer, with mom's athletic ability and sweet temperament but dad's level head! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif My little boy, Evan, is 18 months old and my little angel. We're half (half? well, maybe a THIRD...not quite half) contemplating a little brother or sister. Yikes! Big step...want to do some horse shows first, something I missed out on for a long time between Kelly's pregnancy and mine!

Keep 'em coming. It's nice to have a "broader" picture of fellow BB-er's...it makes people's "stance" on certain things easier to understand when you know a bit about what makes them tick. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
www.deltawave.homestead.com (http://www.deltawave.homestead.com)
www.seeliecourt.homestead.com (http://www.seeliecourt.homestead.com)

RacetrackReject
Jul. 24, 2002, 07:20 PM
Just kidding. Anyway, my name is Johnnie and I'm female. I am what you would call a "baby" eventer, so you will not see my name in COTH anytime soon.
I currently have nothing to ride as I had been riding my trainer's horses, but the good ones have gone elsewhere to live. I was offered a free lease on a Dutch mare to "see what I could do with her", so I'm considering that just to get back into riding again. One of the very nice BN's at Camino gave me a lovely pep talk for getting back in the game, and I would be stupid not to listen to him. So my goal is to get my @ss on something and get them to Novice by this time next year.
I worked in Environmental Affairs for a major natural gas pipeline corporation, but got too stressed and tired of all the paperwork (as someone else said it is more paperwork than hugging trees and kissing bunnies), so I shucked it all and became a working student for a small time event trainer with a heart of gold, a nose for nice horses, and about a million child students. I can honestly say now that I love my job and it makes me smile everyday.
Oh yeah, I'm 30 years old with non-horsey bf in the military.

free
Jul. 24, 2002, 07:25 PM
Melissa......I never guessed that you were flbay and I DO think that it is creative. Do you think that many of the other JFK members post here?

You are right, Pat said that Nash was never off at all when she had him and she didn't have a vet check when she bought him either. Of course he is a lot older now and had raced some, but I suspect that being worked on hard ground up there after being in Florida sand most of his life triggered it. You know how proud he is. I feel so sorry for both him and Andy. Miller had to have special shoes with the change in footing, so it affected him also, even though he was origially from Illinois.

[This message was edited by free on Jul. 25, 2002 at 03:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by free on Feb. 17, 2003 at 01:38 PM.]

Miriam
Jul. 24, 2002, 08:09 PM
I have to agree with the comments about the diversity of career choice among us. A few days ago I was bemoaning my fate of misery and pedestrianism due to the removal of my wisdom teeth, and I was surprised to have several dentists answer me. Who knew?

Anyway, to the point of this thing. My name is Miriam, I'm a college sophmore, struggling to compete two horses, appease my parents, make good grades so I can get a good scholarship to transfer somewhere fantastic, and not ignore any important people. Of course, you all juggle careers, children, horses, etc, so you know all about that. I have two horses, and we're doing alright. My mare is being fantastic, but she's yet to do a REAL horse trials. My gelding and I are adjusting to Training, but I think we've made it over the hump. I'm going for my C3 in September, and hope for higher in the years to come before they kick me out.

It's interesting to see all the SCer's on here, I probably will see you out and about this fall, can't wait to get back into the swing of things and have this miserable scorching heat go away.

*Sometimes I think the so-called expets actually ARE experts.*

free
Jul. 24, 2002, 08:38 PM
Gee......I wonder who Robby Johnson will turn out to be?

RAyers
Jul. 24, 2002, 09:13 PM
Hey,
I admit, I never was cloaked. My BB name is my name, Reed Ayers. You can see all about me in my profile. Why hide when a search on the internet brings up a lot of my work? :-) As for personal stats, check out the Single and Loves Horses thread in the Off Course Forum. ;-)
My horse is Shiver. He is 10 and is currently in the preliminary division with the goal of moving up to intermediate this fall. I show up in the COTH every so often, the most recent being a sidebar about Shiver at the Abbe Ranch HT last year.

Delta Wave, NOW your name makes sense! I guess QRS Complex was just too much. :-)

Camstock, boy do I have some questions for you about IP. ;-)

Flbay (aka. Melissa) what sort of medicine are you in?

Terry, a friend of mine just had her grand prix jumper treated by Dr. Herthel using his "stem cell" technique. So far her horse is recovering wonderfully!

The variety of careers and personal experiences listed here just prove to me why I really enjoy the eventers!

Reed

Jul. 24, 2002, 09:27 PM
Another "decloaking" here... Rather surprised, but glad to see that with a DOB of 1948, I'm not the oldest poster on this thread. My name is Betsy Hansberry. My two horses live at the house along with a very non-horsey husband (but he built me a great barn) 3 barn cats, 1 indoor cat, 2 Labs (1 chocolate & 1 yellow) and a super (non-horsey) daughter who is starting Texas A&M in September.

Had a horse when I was a kid, only rode western and bareback. Didn't get horse #2 until about 5 years ago. No intention at that time to ride english, but hooked up with an english trainer (who just happened to event) only because I had a $99 english saddle I wanted to learn to ride in. Didn't have an interest in eventing then, just wanted to jump over some baby stuff. That trainer moved from the area, but I just seemed to end up taking lessons from eventers, so I guess I got into the sport by default.

Now I'm totally hooked and just did my first Green as Grass Horse Trials this May. Have now done #2 (and took the Blue, if you don't mind my bragging a bit) and starting to school Beginner Novice. The horse I ride, Zephyr, is of unknown parentage, but probably mostly QH. He's just awesome. Mad Max is my other guy, he's a 9 yo TB but has not had a lot of training and we have a ways to go before we venture forth into the show world. In addition to going to every schooling HT in the area, I also do the occasional dressage show.

I'm the Facility Manager for a chemical company in the Houston area, which I HAVE to do to support this horse habit. I'm an admitted tackaholic. My daughter told me once that my horses are like her Barbie Dolls used to be: I want all the accessories they come with!! And I'm certainly working toward that goal! Of course, I accumulated all kinds of nice western tack before I realized that I only wanted to ride english! Need to have a barn sale, but I just can't seem to part with anything equine.

I'm sure that my non-horsey friends find me rather one dimensional these days, but I'm absolutely having the time of my life and have acquired an incredible cadre of fabulous women equestrian buddies. I may be too chicken to go beyond BN, but who knows.

This BB has been a great source of valuable information for a beginner like me - plus it's entertaining. Good to meet you all.

Betsy

I enjoy keeping up with the pursuits of the fellow BBers

xcjumper
Jul. 24, 2002, 09:41 PM
It is nice to meet you all!

I am Shirley McCune (Icky name and often forgotten, hard to remember I guess). I have ridden at Prelim/Inter. in the past and now have a new project. I recently imported my boy from NZ. He is TB just coming 6. Made our eventing debut in Coconino in May and was somewhat successfull. Still trying to get to know one another. I bought him as my inspiring ** horse.

I have been in the COTH a few times, but don't really remember why or when. Don't want to get a big head you know.

Professionally, I am an ER nurse and have been for 12 years now. Has come in handy at the events more times than I care to recall. Have a extreme interest in Orthopedics. Maybe has to do with Eventers and lots of broken bones perhaps.

Wow, Deltawave, a Cardiologist. How do you have time to ride and play on the computer?? You are my hero. (Which also happens to be my horses barn name /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

I love Eventers! Don't think I could do anything else. I have never found a group of people more supportive and all around good people. In our area we all know each other and always cheer on each other even though we are not from the same barn, etc.

Hope to see some of you out west sometime!!

I can't believe I forgot to mention my best friend in the whole wide world, my Rhodesian Ridgeback Nala. OOOH is she going to be angry with me. We are the redheaded family-red-head mom, Chestnut pony and Red-headed Nala!!!

~Run fast, Jump high. What else is there?~

[This message was edited by xcjumper on Jul. 25, 2002 at 02:21 AM.]

xcjumper
Jul. 24, 2002, 09:42 PM
OOOPPPS I think I meant "aspiring". Sorry professor Reed, my spelling is lacking!

BarbB
Jul. 24, 2002, 10:21 PM
well, you won't be reading about me either.

My name is Barbara Brandt. I'm not the oldest on the board, but getting close (shut up, Susan!) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have an OTTB named Scotty - show name Highlander, or Highlander V in the USEA records.
He is nine and came off the track a little over a year ago. He is an awesome, scopey, fun horse.
We are schooling at BN/Novice level and hope to compete before the season is over. I am working Saturdays right now, which really makes competing difficult, but we have managed some dressage shows and have some Jumper shows coming up.
For a living, I worked for a govt. contractor in security for over 18 years, was laid off last year and decided to try to get away from that type of work.
I am now selling cars for a local Nissan dealer - talk about a different world.
I live with assortment house and barn cats and what is left of what was once a successful dog show kennel - German Shepherd Dogs and Afghan Hounds, mostly the old guys left now.

BarbB

charter member BEQS Clique & Invisible Poster Clique

norlibl
Jul. 25, 2002, 05:09 AM
OK, I'll add my 2 cents worth! I'm Barb Norlin and live near Madison, WI. My 'norlibl' is kind of uninspired, it's my log on name for work, but it's easy for me to remember!. Being a 44 yo, I sometimes have trouble in that regard!

I work as an RN in a max security psych hospital. We do competency evals for men who have committed crimes and treat them if they are incompetent or are not guilty by reason of insanity. It can be a crazy place to work, to say the least, but I love it and it pays the board bills!

My horse, is Bosley, a 6 yo OTTB. I'm not sure of his show name yet. May call him Whiz Kid since he's so smart and willing. He's awesome, but not yet ready for the big time. Perhaps I'll be in the COTH next year!

terry
Jul. 25, 2002, 05:57 AM
Yes indeed, combined driving is a ton of fun and the community is the most welcoming, friendliest you will ever find. My daughter can't complain about cleaning her tack for rallies and ratings after she has to help me polish all that brass for driving events.

terry
Jul. 25, 2002, 06:03 AM
Hi in Southie. Where do you keep your horses?
Nancy at the Complete Equestrian is a good friend of mine. It's wonderful to have a local tack shop where the owner is so knowledgeable (Nancy has two Morgans and she has competed in many disciplines herself including dressage, eventing and combined driving) and willing to get you exactly what you need even if she doesn't have it in the store. Gaby and I will both be fence judging at Over the Walls but we won't know what fence we'll have till the briefing early Saturday morning. We usually have lawn chairs that are blue with yellow sunflowers on them, so you might be able to spot us from them.

WhiteTiger
Jul. 25, 2002, 06:51 AM
Good Morning,

I am Deanna Kramer, 34 and started riding just over 2 years ago /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif , I am absolutely fascinated by tigers and white tigers especially so the screen name. You won't see me in the Chronicle in the near future, but who knows give me a couple of years. I started lessons last Sept, but they have been rathor spradic since January. My trainer said she would let me know when she thought I was ready to start showing. Hopefully sometime this fall. I don't own any horses, but I've been "adopted" by a friends 3. My goal is to have a small farm and to event as far up the levels as I can.

I am currently an Admin Asst. in the maintinance dept of a school system in S.E. CT, working on an A.S. in Grapic Design part time at a nearby college and working part time to support a horse habit /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

PWBTB@WC (People who browse the BB at Work Clique)

Heather
Jul. 25, 2002, 07:04 AM
Oh, OK.

My name is Heather Bailey, and I have been in the Chronicle. I am a former YR prelim rider, and a former adult amateur prelim rider, who hasn't competed in about 4 years. I had a bad riding accident, and the long term physical and mental issues have put a kink in my competitive career, such as it was. But, I'm "on my way back" and hope to be competing again late this fall or next spring. I lived most of my competitive years out west in California, so am somewhat "bi-coastal" in my expereince.

I live in Northern Va, with my husband, three dogs, two cats, and a collection of horses. We have my husband's TB gelding Merlin who just competed in his first training level who we got for free off the meat truck, my OTTB gelding Lion who is learning how to be an event horse, and our 4 year old homebred TB gelding who is currently being ridden by a professional and getting ready to compete. We also have a 10 year old TB gelding at a retirment farm, and a 14 year old TB mare who lives with my sister-in-law. We may also be bringing in a schoolmaster type from out west later this fall--a former CCI** horse who needs to drop down a bit due to soundness issues.

I'm the English Content Editor for an equine website (won't shill it here--bad taste), but have done stints as a freelance writer and a was the Communications Manager for an environmental consutling firm.

maplebrook
Jul. 25, 2002, 07:13 AM
My real name is Molly Sherwood and I'm soon to turn 34. I am the Environmental Compliance Manager for Kent County, Michigan. That means I oversee environmental compliance for the 4 County-owned landfills. It's not glamorous work, but it pays well and I really enjoy my work.
My screen name is the name of the farm I grew up on in Holland, Michigan. Unfortunately, the farm is no longer in my family, but I still think of it as home and visit regularly.
I was born into a horsey family, and with 2 older sisters to influence me, I spent most of my youth on the back of a horse. I did everything from 4-H and pony club to A and B circuit hunter shows as a junior rider, but didn't really discover eventing until adulthood.
I inherited my current horse, Sam I Am, when my mom died in 1991. Sam is a 17 hand TB who was bred for racing, but never had the chance. He was only a yearling when I got him, and he was difficult at best. It took me many years to make him a respectable beast, but I finally have a horse that is a joy to ride rather than a pain in the a**.
I started eventing Sam BN last summer, and moved up to Novice this year. He is doing great and really getting the hang of it. So, once I find enough time to get some more events under our belts, I plan to move up to Training - hopfully next spring. Beyond Training? I don't know. Right now I think Sam will have the ability and he has been very healthy throughout his life, but as a 12 year old 17h horse, I'm always concerned about pushing him too hard and causing him to break down. So far, I'm just enjoying the ride! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Oh, I'm married to a very non-horsey husband, and also have a rottweiler and a goofy cat.

[This message was edited by maplebrook on Jul. 25, 2002 at 12:29 PM.]

Smart Alec
Jul. 25, 2002, 07:40 AM
I keep Smart Alec at Canton Equestrian Center--its run by the Hughes family. I really like it. The people are all very nice and there is a tack store on the property. I ordered my crash vest through Nancy and she was the best--very helpful and accomodating--she had a great special where we got free helmet covers(custom) when you order a vest.
Where do you keep your horses? Hopefully we'll see each other at some events! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

KateDB
Jul. 25, 2002, 08:34 AM
Me, too!

My name is Katharine (Kate) Byron. I am a Graduate "A" PCer, adult amateur Prelim (hopefully Inter) rider, foxhunter and one of those who also showed hunters, equitation and jumpers as a kid - back when it was really fun!

I support my habit working in the Financial world moving money electronically (merchant side of the credit card industry) in monitoring and recovering revenue for our various departments. It isn't exactly what I set out to do, but I got here through the banking and trust industries and I am still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up!

I am currently competing a just-turned six year old: Welton Limerick. I have had him since he was three and 30 days under tack. He has gone from BN to Prelim in a little over a year and I had hoped to do a CCI* on him at Morven Park, but have decided to wait until the spring to give him a bit more time to mature mentally and physically.

I have one of my former eventer/field hunters who was a winner at Novice and Training and schooling Prelim when she sustained an injury for which she was subsequently retired. She now has a filly at her side by Cestus, Richard Rader's CCI**** horse and she is going to be a pistol!

I have done a lot of teaching over the years for both adults and pony club (and taught an ISHA Nationals rider!), have re-schooled many horses and bought/sold prospects as well.

Along with my horses and some boarders, I have three labs (one of every color) and two cats on my farm - just enough to keep me busy!

I actually have been in the COTH previously and will cross my fingers to be again! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Oh yeah, and I owe Heather many Margarita's! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Camstock
Jul. 25, 2002, 10:50 AM
Norlibl--I like the name "Whiz Kid". Go for it. My mare "Clairvoyant" came to me with a different name but she was so easy to work with that she seemed...

RAyers, I'm at your IP service. Email addy in profile.

BarbB, all my dogs have always been from Rescue or retired show dogs from my mom's Sammy kennel. The show dogs' "been there, done that" attitude really makes them a pleasure to be around, no?

HA! Deltawave, I always thought you were a seismologist. My earth science background sent my imagination that way when I read the name. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Heather, your job sounds so cool. We gotta talk some time.:cool:

Pixie Dust
Jul. 25, 2002, 10:54 AM
Speaking of riders in magazines, I've seen TommyGirl in a joint supplement ad......that was fun!

.....I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear.....

deltawave
Jul. 25, 2002, 11:08 AM
LOL! What's a seismologic delta wave? I like Reed's idea of "QRS complex"...would be more suitable, probably, given the mare's "complex" personality! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cardiology is FULL of potentially cool horse names: I like "isorhythmic", for one, would also love to name a pony "How Cute Am I" (a play on "acute MI"), oh, the list is endless!

"If you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, you're probably right." Wear a helmet!
www.deltawave.homestead.com (http://www.deltawave.homestead.com)
www.seeliecourt.homestead.com (http://www.seeliecourt.homestead.com)

Won2Keep
Jul. 25, 2002, 11:34 AM
I guess I am jumping in here a little late, but I will play.

My name is Kristen Ayers (no relation to Reed). I met Free last summer when her and her son purchased one of my horses.

I have been in the Chronicle once for eventing (a third BN at a recognized event--no big deal to most, huge to me!). I have been in the Chronicle for hunters and even had my picture in back in the 70's when I was pony hunter champion. Hopefully, my name will appear again in the future as long as they keep showing the results for the really LOW levels!

I have three horses--one a retired TB, one a OTTB baby learning the ropes this year and a new one who I don't know quite where his forte will be yet! Two dogs and four barn cats complete my farm.

norlibl
Jul. 25, 2002, 11:41 AM
Thanks, for the encouragement, Cammie. I guess I'll deside how much of a Whiz Kid he is after we start doing some jumping.

As for horses in magazines, my old horse Jake, was on the cover of the 'American Girl' catalog many years ago. He was a star right off the bat!

Oh, and my riding experience...I've ridden for over 30 yrs and have been interested in eventing for around 10-12, can't remember exactly. Took 2 horses Training, and hope to bring Bosley as far as we can both go while still enjoying the ride. I also love to camp and trail ride. Not sure if the Boz will agree on the camping, but we'll see.

While I have your eye, can anyone tell me how the heck you cut and paste quotes? I can't seem to do it. What's the trick?

norlibl
Jul. 25, 2002, 11:42 AM
Oops! Can someone tell me how to edit as well?!!

Camstock
Jul. 25, 2002, 11:46 AM
To edit, click on the "pencil and paper" icon on the right top of the post. You can delete whole posts through that too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I will be interested to read directions about the quotes too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

pinkhorse
Jul. 25, 2002, 11:46 AM
This IS cool.

You'll have to look at some old Chronicles to see me in the eventing section but I used to do pretty well with a couple of horses that I didn't own. Then I got a 3 year old (6 years ago!) who didn't want to event. You'll find us occasionally in the show section doing the adults, the equitation and starting next month the older amateur owners.

I'm Julie Orfirer (odd name, but it's mine - besides, if I'd changed it it would have almost rhymed and I hate that!) and I live in Ashfield Massachusetts.

I'll be 46 a week from today (gift certificates to Equusnow would be wonderful, thank you).

I work as a nurse practitioner - did primary care for 9 years and just started in endocrinology doing primarily diabetes and, what I call, "related disorders" (obesity and PCOS). For the first time I can say, "I love my job". (Especially the fast internet connection that I can use during lunch or when I have a "no show"!!)

Pinkhorse stands for my red roan mare who has the real name "Strangers Secret" but I call her "Rosie". I tried to event her as "On the Roan Again" but NO ONE ever said it right!

Happy to meet you all.

PS, my favorite medical term for a horse is actually a psych term - "Third Force" (as in humanistic psychology; behaviorism is first force, psychoanalysis is second force).

norlibl
Jul. 25, 2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks,Camstock, I just deleted the first post, that had lots of typos, and then saw your reply.

xcjumper
Jul. 25, 2002, 12:53 PM
No one answered the quote question. I want to know how to do the quote thing also. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

free
Jul. 25, 2002, 12:56 PM
Won2Keep......I guess that you know that Andy had to sell Jessie to help finance his move. It broke my heart, but he was the only one that this little girl and her mother would consider. He was doing so beautifully in dressage and was being so sweet. Dr. Gamboa gave him every x-ray known to man and I was thinking that no 10 yr old horse could pass all of the tests that he gave him, but he did! He even complimented him on his gentle personality and said that "this is the kind of horse that I like to see a young person buy". I was so proud of Jessie!

free
Jul. 25, 2002, 01:17 PM
Some of you mentioned that you will be at Over the Walls and my son will be doing his first Event there since his move. He should be riding Miller Time at Prelim. Miller is a chestnut and Karen once called him a red-headed Arab, but he is a T.B. in spite of his dish face and tendency to be slightly opinionated. Since I can't be there, please let me know how they do. No matter what happens, all that Andy will tell me is "fine".

Jul. 25, 2002, 01:44 PM
One more person who whould like to know how to do the quote thing.!

Thanks from the BarelyComputerLiterates..........

drifting cloud
Jul. 25, 2002, 01:54 PM
When you are typing a message, there is a list of buttons on the lower right hand side of the page (under "Instant UBBCode").

To do a quote, just click on the quote button and include the text to be quoted in between the 2 quote "tags". You can type it or copy & paste from another message.

That's it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Let me know if that's not clear enough.

[This message was edited by drifting cloud on Jul. 25, 2002 at 05:03 PM.]

Daydream Believer
Jul. 25, 2002, 02:13 PM
When you respond to a post, on that post itself, you click on the quote marks icon "" on the top of box that the post is in on the thread and that "quotes" the entire post in a reply area. The other icons are for profile, edit and email. I then delete the parts of the post I don't want...for instance there's one paragraph that I want to quote, I delete everything else but the brackets on the top and bottom that say [quote] or something like that. It also refers to the user that you are quoting on top that way. I hope that makes sense.

xcjumper
Jul. 25, 2002, 02:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daydream Believer:
When you respond to a post, on that post itself, you click on the quote marks icon "" on the top of box that the post is in on the thread and that "quotes" the entire post in a reply area.

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got it now! Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Daydream Believer
Jul. 25, 2002, 02:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xcjumper:

I got it now! Thanks /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome! Glad I could help. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SuperSpike
Jul. 25, 2002, 05:26 PM
My name is Lara Dowden, and I'm from Louisville, Kentucky. I'm 16 years old (the DOB in my profile is...wrong!...don't ask!) My horse's name is Spike (I'm sure you can guess where the username came from!) At the moment I've taken some time off from competing-Dorothy Crowell is riding Spike for me. Right now I'm just riding a greenie, Knight, who will hopefully do training by this fall. That's about it... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

flbay
Jul. 25, 2002, 06:11 PM
Free, I don't know how many of us JFKers spend our time on the BB. I just learned of its existence a month or so ago from Won2Keep. The posts educate and humor me. I feel like I am getting to know the eventing community in a whole new (and positive)way!

I would bet that Nash is just ouchy due to the hard ground in VA. Given that he has shown no problems before on FL footing, maybe he just wants to come home. (My mare went lame after moving from FL to IN. Upon return to FL she was completely sound on our soft, sandy footing.)

RAyers, I am a radiologist with fellowship training in abdominal imaging. I love what I do..and the "shift work" trend in medicine helps me squeeze in an extra ride or two during the work week.

My medical term future horsey names are "Clivus and Claustrum" for a draft horse driving pair. Drusen for a large boned WB or powerful, dark TB. Not that I will have any of those horses in the future but those terms struck me as good horse names while in school. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

bigdreamer
Jul. 25, 2002, 06:21 PM
hi all,
I am new to this BB, I got the link from the USEA BB when deltawave posted a link to here about bonnie. On that list my screen name is eventingforlife, and my e-mail is the same too (check the profile).

I am a 17 year old eventer from MI, and My name is Laura Mungioli. I have big dreams when it comes to eventing, hence the name. The dream would be the olympics. It's more a "goal" then a "dream", but big-goals didn't sound quite as nice. I have 2 brothers, a doggy (golden retreiver who is too big for his own good, 130lbs!!) and a goldfish. My occupation would be barn-sitter! It's good $$ and quite fun. I've gotten to work around a lot of babies this summer, and they are o-so-cute /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

I've been riding for 7 years, and I got into eventing 2 summers ago when i switched to a barn that did eventing and just caught right on. I wish i had gotten into it when i had first started riding. The first summer was spent at BN with a school horse who taught me a lot, and that i miss very much. The next summer i leased Deltawaves mare, and went novice, and she taught me a lot too!!! Heck, I even got a 10 on a dressage test with her /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Our event season wasn't very succesful, but it was fun anyways. This summer I am working with a mare named Bahada-eh, dumb QH names. (no offense to any QH lovers). She's an appendix with racing QH lines, not western, so she is a speedy one... which may or may not be a good thing! She was "pulled out of the pasture" in April after 3 years off (due to a frightened owner) and is doing quite well. We got a 42.5 on our first dressage test, which I must admit was better then i expected. We've done 2 BN events, and got a 5th and a 4th. I am doing one more BN then moving up to novice at Stone Gate (fingers crossed). The jumping is not an issue for her, it's the dressage, but with my new trainer i'm sure things will be quite well by next show season. (again, fingers crossed!). She is a very smart horse and figures things out fairly quickly. She had jumped "prelim questions" without a problem, but we think training may be the extent of her career /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. Her conformation doesn't allow her the wonderful gate that she would probably need to excel in the dressage at that level...
OK! well i am going to stop rambeling now, i'm sure i could go on all day long about her (i just like her so much, such a quirky horse... and here i go again!), so I will stop now.
~laura~

There is something about jumping a horse over a fence,
something that makes you feel good. Perhaps it is the risk, the gamble. In any event it's a thing I need. ~William Faulkner

UNCeventer
Jul. 25, 2002, 07:01 PM
My name is Rachel King I am an H-A PC'er and I am in NC (Asheville and Chapel Hill). I have 2 horses: 13 yo QH who is a Novice packer,"Pawnees Treasure." Hes being transformed into a dressage horse (hopefully). And I also have a 13 yo TB who is going to go training for the 3rd time this fall...and then soon hopefully move up to prelim- he can jump anything, but we have had to work out a ot of kinks...he is sooo much easier to ride now! YAY!!! His name is Magic Legend.

Die hard member of the JESSE fan club!! :-)
Member of the Disgruntled College Student Clique

[This message was edited by unceventer on Jul. 25, 2002 at 10:54 PM.]

Cody
Jul. 25, 2002, 07:26 PM
Well Mary I was glad to see you here and to find out it was someone I knew! And you know me, I ride that Spot horse at Rocking Horse. You know the one, the one that I tell regularly, I brought you into this world and if you don't behave I'll take you right back out again! It's Nancy. And please tell Andy I said HI! "Cody" is the barn name of my old event horse.

Bensmom
Jul. 25, 2002, 08:00 PM
free -- I'm so sorry to hear about Nash -- I will keep my fingers crossed that somehow he'll get better and Andy can realize his hopes for him. I had to laugh when I saw your post that mentioned that all the feedback you'd get from Andy would be "fine." /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If I hadn't seen his eyes light up when answering Kelley's questions about prepping for Camino, I wouldn't have had a clue that he was excited about it or moving to VA -- He seems very laid back! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Alec -- thanks so much for the additional positive feedback! One of my goals for next year is to try to do the 3 month certificate program. We'll see -- do you know if I come up, can I bring my beast? I would love to schedule some xc schools while we are gone. I mean, as long as I have to drive up there anyway, might as well bring Ben, right? After all, last year he went to PA with me, 'cause I couldn't get a good sitter /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Libby (yeah, Ben's mom worries a bit!)

Lisa Cook
Jul. 25, 2002, 08:13 PM
oh, wait, you all know it already!

This has been a great thread - I've really enjoyed reading about all the different careers and interests that people have.

I just missed being in an upcoming COTH...took my horse, Red, to GMHA Dressage Days last weekend and got a 4th in one class. Maybe we'll make the COTH soon..our next competition will be next week, where we are spending the week doing jumpers at the Vermont Summer Festival. Red's show name is "In the Red" - my husband chose the name!

This is a "foundation-building" year for my horse, a 9 year old OTTB who came off the track 2 years ago after 54 starts. Next year, my goal is to move on to eventing, after all of our work on the basics this year!

In the "real world" I work for Kraft Foods, just recently moving over to sales after spending 13 years on the marketing side of the business. My husband thinks I've "gone over to the dark side", but I'm loving the new job so far!

Home life: a husband, 2 young (under age 10) sons who aren't happy unless they are fighting with each other, 2 dogs - a goofy yellow Lab and an elderly, grouchy Jack Russell, a cat, and one horse.

free
Jul. 25, 2002, 08:58 PM
I'm so glad to find out that you are Cody! When I read your post I could have cried. Even though I wasn't at R.H. very often I miss it and everyone there SO much. I loved staying in Andy's little apartment and everyone was always so happy and having so much fun there. He was very homesick for R.H. even though he never said it in so many words. He became so close to Ma and words couldn't begin to describe what he thinks of Skip. Can you believe a 20/21 yr. old spending so much time and having so much fun with a couple their age? He loves those kind people and thinks more of them than family. Please give everyone a hug for me. Please keep in touch.

free
Jul. 25, 2002, 09:29 PM
Bensmom......yes, Andy's a real Gary Cooper! (boy does that statement date me!)

free
Jul. 25, 2002, 10:20 PM
flbay.....I wish that the footing is all that it was, and I believe that might have very well be what made it flair up, but they did extensive x-rays/ultrasounds and since there has been a second problem starting at the exact same spot as the old one, Andy would rather that he retire now, while he can still be comfortable for the rest of his life, and not risk a tragedy.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 25, 2002, 11:23 PM
Now a lot of you know me already. KateDB was my instructor when I was in high school. Robby and I have worked together at Rolex. Likewise Heather and I have compared post press conference quotes at a fair number of three days. Redddpony has listened to my voice on the line so many times its a miracle she isn't deaf, and the list goes on.

I am Emily Daignault. (Pronounced "Dane-Yo" and I am looking for the perfect guy named, Smith, Johnson, Williams, or anything simple) I have to teach announcers how to pronounce it at most every event. Although Brian O'Connor and Dick Thompson get it right everytime now.

I have been in the Chronicle a fair bit during my "active" years. I even had a picture in when I won at Canterbury one year!!

Ummm ok right now I am relaxing from riding and playing golf to help enjoy life. I have worked in all of the english disciplines and racing and so while I am here in Wisconsin for awhile my new horsey friends up here are teaching me about barrel racing and other various western events. Its very fun and very tough in their own ways.

I do own one horse right now, though he is for sale. His name is Relatively Speaking but better known as "Nick." He is a blast and I call it a good day when we come home from a ride through the foundation equally tired with both our sets of ears "pricked." He stayed in NC where he doesn't depreciate down to nothing.

I have also worked as a journalist in the equestrian world. The highlight of this being the "Eventing Correspondent" for Saddletude the last year and covering almost all the North American three days and NAYRC. Additionally they allowed me to go to London for the Olympia Horse Show as well.

As for how to recognize me, I talk a lot but almost always with a smile. I have freckles and either a raging farmers tan or relfective white skin (Fla. in March!)

OK well I think thats enough.

~Emily

PS. My name is NOT "Ex- Country girl" as eventers should know its.. "Cross-Country girl" :-)

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never truly live at all"

KateDB
Jul. 26, 2002, 06:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>KateDB was my instructor when I was in high school.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I started you out on the right foot, too! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by KateDB on Jul. 26, 2002 at 11:52 AM.]

eventer_mi
Jul. 26, 2002, 06:52 AM
either via the Eventers-L, or in person.

Hi, I'm Kimberly Bussey, and since I'm not exactly creative, nor do I have a good memory, my screen name is eventer_mi (eventer_michigan) - it's how I log on to everything on the internet. However, I'm looking to move to NC in the near future, so I'll probably have to change my screen name. I formerly evented an extremely talented and gutsy OTTB by the show name of d'Artagnan, whose name nobody could pronounce, so that's why I didn't use that as a screen name, either. Due to his inability to keep his head screwed on straight for stadium, and to save a dying marriage, I sold him on and recently acquired an ex-carriage horse (Innisfree, a.k.a Miles or The Great Grey Boulder) whom I started under saddle this past March. He's coming along quite nicely and I hope to enter him in his first event this September (if we ever manage to find our right lead canter again).

I am a multimedia cirriculum developer, which is just a fancy way of saying that I develop on-line training programs. This came from my degree in secondary education, English, and after spending a year with the kiddies, I decided that adult learning was the way to go. I am a former English/Musical Theatre major; therefore, all my fuzzy ones are named after literary characters (Oliver, Charlotte, Mina, Pip). The barn's name is Alexandria Acres, when it actually had horses in it.

Great to meet all of you, and even more interesting to see that some of you I already know from the Eventers-L!

"Obstacles are those frightening things we see when we take our eyes off our goals." - Anon

Smart Alec
Jul. 26, 2002, 07:07 AM
I am sure you could bring your beast. Mike has boarding available there. He has been building a number of x-country jumps and there are fields and trails galore! There is a wonderful dressage ring and turn out. I know he was talking about having schooling events there (maybe 2 phases to start and eventually 3 phases).
If I could move there tommorrow and bring Alec, I would. (hopefully if all goes well, this time next year...I will be there!)
Definitely give him a call---even to inquire. He is very friendly and easy to talk to. You'll be glad if you go. best of luck! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

flypony74
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:05 AM
Well, I think that I'm with the "in crowd" here, in that you will not see my name in the COTH anytime soon. That's okay, because my main goal with this sport is just to have three good rides and a lot of fun with my horse.

My name is Kelly Schaffer, and I'm 29 years old and work for the Tennessee Horse Council. My husband and I (newyweds!) recently bought a small but wonderful farm in the small town of Christiana, TN (southeast of Nashville). We have two wonderful horses, Megin (16 yo App mare) and Hue (6 yo Canadian TB), and I am considering bringing home another big loveable Appy so my husband can have his first horse of his own. We also have two cats (which I could do without), and a wonderful happy fuzzy 15 year old mutt that thinks she's still a pup. I don't think she's missed a trip to the barn with me since she six months old.

I grew up in a very non-horsey household, and after a few years of riding lessons, I desperately wanted a horse. My parents said "If you want a horse, you buy it yourself." So, I mowed yards, babysat, and did everything a 12 year old kid can do to earn money. I bought Megin when she was 4 months old, and while normally a 12 year old kid and a weanling would NOT be a good match, it was apparently meant to be since we both survived growing up together. She is my best friend and has been a wonderful competitive partner in everything from open shows, to hunter shows, up to training level eventing. Conformationally, she is not built to jump (built like a cow pony!), but she has a heart of gold and has the most beautiful form over fences that you could ask for. I've been really busy the past two years finishing school and getting married, so we haven't competed, but she's itching to do something, so I think we'll do a few novice events this fall and maybe foxhunt some this winter. My big TB, Hue, is learning the ropes of dressage and eventing, and I hope to have him ready next spring.

Nice to get to know all of you. One of the best things about this sport is the people, that's for sure.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, and live as if you'll die tomorrow." -- James Dean

drifting cloud
Jul. 26, 2002, 09:45 AM
Liberry ladies unite!!!!!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cody
Jul. 26, 2002, 10:26 AM
Yes Skip & Ma are a unique and valued couple of people. I don't know what I would have done without Skip alot of the times. Just his philosophy on life is great. And when life throws me a curve ball, well Skip always helps me to look at it another way. I wouldn't doubt that Andy was homesick. Heck he's even so far away from you now, that you can just jump in the truck and visit on the weekend. Well you could but it's a long drive. And Andy is a great young un' and I told him that repeatedly. Heck he even has inspired me to attempt to take college courses again and try to do it online.

And for all of you who don't know Skip & Ma, visit Rocking Horse. Skip is the gentleman who changes the rings around, drags the rings, fixes broken pipes where people tie their horses up to them, you name it he does it.

Nancy

Bensmom
Jul. 26, 2002, 11:42 AM
Now, Nancy, you wouldn't be referring to that horse that hooked his halter on the pipe near our stalls and provided us with riverside accomodations last weekend, would you? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Skip is terrific! Last year he took me by the hand and helped me to find my lost wallet -- I had just asked how to find a phone number for the restaurant where I thought I had lost it, and instead he scooped me into the truck with Sharpie and off we went to find the gentleman who owned the restaurant who had my wallet delivered to the showgrounds. In addition to that, he always makes sure I have a trash can near my stall, so that I can indulge my passion for picking up and properly disposing of both our trash and any other that happens to be dropped in my way. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Does Skip *ever* take time off? A great person and a terrific role model /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Libby (who never leaves her horse in his house in a halter and certainly not with the door open near a water spigot)

pwynnnorman
Jul. 27, 2002, 02:18 PM
Starting off honestly: I post using my real name (P. Wynn Norman) because I'm in the horse business and I want people to know who I am and what my opinions are.

And, well, er...I HAVE been in COTH a few times because of those opinions, I guess. Call me a confirmed "boat rocker."

If you read the fine print, I also get in every so often for owning something placing somewhere or being the breeder. Not a lot, but it's been there. (Would that it were for competing MYSELF, but I just don't have what it takes anymore, alas.)

I breed sportponies and am a fanatic about it. My talent is dressage (20 years ago, I evented and did h-j, too, but haven't competed at all recently, except at "mandatory" schooling shows for my youngsters). I've developed a fair number of horses into the upper levels of dressage, but my LOVE is eventing. I collect event tapes (Badminton, Burghley, Rolex, and whatever else I can get my hands on) and subscribe to the UK's Horse and Hound ($100+ bucks a year--that's how much a fanatic I am).

BTW, Canterlope, I love the Area II website�I get lots of traffic from the ads I�ve placed there and use it to get to all the fun eventing-related placed on line: best list of links out there!

Is there an ex-PC�ers clique here? (H-A, Millbrook-NY).

Sportponies Unlimited
Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
http://www.sportponiesunlimited.com

Cody
Jul. 27, 2002, 04:29 PM
I have heard that Shelley & Alice have banished Skip once or twice from the farm for time off. He actually went to on a cruise. He went out to Camino Real with Andy also. We all teased him that he would have Camino Real rebuilt by the time he came home. Skip is a WONDERFUL man. I have gone to the Feb. RH shows and gone to Uncle Tom's w/them afterwards for the party....Mr. Skip makes sure that I have my JD & coke. And if I stay in my tent, he makes sure that no parks near me. OH and COFFEE, he makes sure that I have that too when I stay over.
Nancy

Janet
Jul. 28, 2002, 08:04 PM
I am Janet (surprise!) Gunn.

My sister, who I sometimes refer to, is Gillian Clissold. You are more lilely to see her name than mine in the results (with Sportscar at Prelim and Intermediate, and various others at lower levels).

But you will sometimes see my name at Novice with Morning Glory's Belle Fille.

But I am more active as a volunteer (and volunteer coordinator) with CDCTA.

[This message was edited by Janet on Nov. 30, 2003 at 11:13 PM.]

Daydream Believer
Jul. 31, 2002, 05:50 PM
I actually coined a new term to the COTH BB I guess...an unusually creative moment for me.. My husband informed me that "uncloaking" is used on Star Trek boards. Oh well...

I was just reading through this thread and thought I'd move it to the top again to see if we missed anybody. This thread was a lot of fun. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Sannois
Aug. 3, 2002, 05:36 AM
Most of the regulars know me. I'm Kim My pony is Truman, AKA Fandango. Originally from Long Island New York many moons ago. I'm 44, have ridden hunters all my life, but have taken up eventing in the past 2 years. Finally! Have always been an admirer from afar! Live in Western MI. But hopefully within the next 6 to 10 months will be relocating, ie getting a divorce, to the east somewhere! I dont do anything special, well not fancy.. I am a certified Instrument processing tech, at a large metro hospital. ie. Set up and sterilization of surgical instruments for surgeries. Also have taught on and off for many years. Currently have 2 adult riders, one is thinking about breaking into the eventing ranks, with me pushing and shoving all the way. She currently is cleaning up at training level Dressage, and has been champion and high percentage at every show I have taken her to this season. Other adult, is getting used to her new Wonderful horse, after having a string of bad ones.. Very timid rider, but a quik learner. I think teaching is my forte and my passion. It is so rewarding! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I teach much better than I ride! We are still doing Beginner Novice, Maybe we should try to win one before moving to Novice. Thats what I finally decided! See pretty mundane! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Those who would give up
essential Liberty, to
purchase a little temporary
Safety, deserve neither
Liberty nor Safety" Benjamin
Franklin, 1755
Founding member of The Fossils over Fences Clique!

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Aug. 3, 2002, 09:23 AM
Ever since Sharon replied to this thread, which I particularly noticed because I had been reading some smart thing she had written, and wondering who she was, since Moncure is in my neck of the woods...

My name is Jeannette Ford, and the beastie I've been competing mostly is Eclipse. He made it into the Chronicle several times this season, as he won several Novices. (He woulda won one more - Tryon, except for extreme rider error setting my stop watch. Wouldn't you know THAT was the one event in years my folks - who own Eclipse - have been in town for. Boy did my mom get a kick out of telling folks "Nice pony, but I'm looking for a new rider" after I accumulated time faults because I thought I was headed for speed faults...)

Folks in the Carolinas often recognize Eclipse - he's the distinctive dark dappled grey 14 hander. He does lovely dressage, is always willing, sails over fences, and hunts like a charm, standing quietly at checks. Theoretically I'm training him for my mom, but so far she has always turned down offers for him, and I'm thinking she'll keep sponsoring him for lucky me...

We're not counting on Chronicle write-ups this season, as we've moved to Training level and are still working on a) making it through the triple in good form and b)getting around XC without time faults. I know we have it in us, but it has surprised me so far the difference between averaging 350, and averaging 425, while being balanced enough at the fences...

I'm 35, have been a buyer for a music company, a raft guide, kayak instructor, reservations person, and employee owner of an outdoor adventure company, and an independent bookstore employee, lift attendant, and ropes course/teambuiling facilitator.

A bit over a year ago I quit my desk job at the music company (I had been there off and on since 1985, between other jobs) and started teaching and training full time. Loving that, and planning to stay at this phase of life!

Love the challenges of seeing a horse and rider, figuring out what is the fundamental thing they need to work on that will make the other niggly symptoms go away, and then figuring out how to communicate that to them, and fine tune the plan as I see what works. Big fun.

Daydream Believer
Aug. 3, 2002, 01:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl:
Ever since Sharon replied to this thread, which I particularly noticed because I had been reading some smart thing she had written, and wondering who she was, since Moncure is in my neck of the woods...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeanette,

I'm flattered that you think I actually wrote something smart! You made my day! Thanks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif We are practically neighbors aren't we? I've been around a while and I'm kind of like a bad penny...I keep turning up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif It could be that we've met already...I'm very bad at remembering riders but I never forget their horses. I look forward to seeing you around this season. It's uncertain if I'll have a horse to compete or not as the only sound one I have right now can barely canter but who knows? Either way, I'll be at the events volunteering if nothing else. I'll be looking for you.

Sharon /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

JesslynW
Aug. 3, 2002, 03:24 PM
Okay, here goes

name: Jesslyn Woodall
horse:Tucker(waiting for the end of MY stall rest)
level: intermediate
occu: barn help at champagne run farm
area: IIIV(eight)live in lexington, ky at champage run farm
status: all broken up, got a broken collarbone at the ky horse park july 20th.
other pets: 2 cats, sassy, a siamiese colored female, and calipso, a gray and white male

so, now I'm taking calcium pills, and hoping to get back in the saddle asap!!!!!

JesslynW
Aug. 4, 2002, 04:39 AM
sorry, my cats posed for a pic last nght, and just have to post it, with a litle backround editing

Jess

souvenir
Aug. 5, 2003, 01:13 PM
OK, here goes my personal uncloaking, after many months as a lurker...
Name: Lynda Groeschen
Live: Souvenir Farm
Cincinnati, Ohio (west side, near the Indiana/Kentucky state lines.)
I'm 39. This is my first year at 39.
I have a husband, three children (ages 9, 6 and 4). First horse show, age 6. I then did pony hunter, children's hunter, junior hunter, amateur-adult hunter, then had kids. Now I trail ride and love on my 16.1h appendix, Nick, aka "one who is never in a hurry." I also own a sweet mare, Bo and a blind pony, Barney. Three barn cats and five guinea pigs round out our family, along with one boarded horse, Pal, also part of the family.
My work: I tie-dye clothing and garments and then paint equine designs on them in complementary colors. It's a small business that helps pay for my continuing horse addiction. I consider it a labor of love. (My site is www.souvenirfarm.com, (http://www.souvenirfarm.com,) in case anyone is interested)....
This de-cloaking wasn't so bad, really. I lurked a long time too! Out of the shadows...woo hoo!!!
Anyway, I have very much enjoyed these forums and I've learned quite a bit.

www.souvenirfarm.com (http://www.souvenirfarm.com)

baileygreyhorse
Aug. 5, 2003, 02:14 PM
Hi to all! My *real* name is Pattie Nauheimer Ekman and I used to live in NC. I am going to be 36 next month and I am a high school English teacher. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif My husband and I met at a hunter barn 12 years ago. We moved to MD 4 years ago and that's when I got into eventing. My event horse is Perrier Blues (Bailey), but you won't be seeing us in COTH anytime soon. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif Sunday will be our re-debut at unrecognized 2'3". Our other two horses are pasture pets/ pleasure horses: Skipper and Iago. If you compete at Fair Hill, I bet I have seen you there. I volunteer at the big event in the fall and most of the recognized trials during the rest of the season.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pnekman

ponygrl
Aug. 5, 2003, 02:22 PM
I'm Laura Celmins, I haven't been in the Chronicle since 1999 but yeah, maybe I'll be in again http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I'm almost 20 and live in Tucson, AZ. I'm a student at the University of Arizona, but I'm taking some time off since I have NO CLUE what I want to be when I "grow up". Right now I am owned by Notjustacookie (Figgy) a 7 y/o TB gelding, Chocolate Moose (Moose) a 25y/o Morgan cross gelding and Legend of Chincoteague (Legend) a 15 y/o Chincoteague Pony gelding. Legend and Moose are out on pasture since my parents moved from AZ to NM and I certainly don't have the means to board 3 horses!

Figgy was supposed to be my YR horse but things just haven't worked out. Regardless, he is my homey and I've hada blast with him despite any trials and tribulations. I have considered doing combined driving with Legend, but thats the one thing more expensive than eventing!!

Laura

[This message was edited by ponygrl on Aug. 05, 2003 at 05:40 PM.]

Peggy
Aug. 5, 2003, 08:52 PM
Peggy Kline here. Got into eventing when a friend wanted to take a group of her students and invited me to go along. The horse I had then (Jive) would jump pretty much whatever you pointed him at. Rode him through training, but which time he was 18. Got a new green prospect (Cool) who proved to be a better dressage horse than an eventer; he thinks much too highly of himself to risk his body by leaping over obstacles. I showed him through 4th level; now he's 18 and semi-retired. New horse (Star--yes I do seem to have a thing for bay geldings with 1-syllable names) is 4. I've shown him training level dressage and just recently got the HJ trainer at the barn to jump him a few times. He likes it and is good at it, so who knows where we'll go with it. You can see photos via my school website (http://homepage.smc.edu/kline_peggy/Kline_supp.html).

Other than the horse bumpersticker article, my only mentions in COTH have been in very small type.

My profession is under my name; I teach at a community college.

Boss Hoss
Aug. 5, 2003, 10:31 PM
Like I could ever lurk..or cloack for that matter.

My name is Mark Susol and co-owner of Cool Breeze Farm in Frederick, MD. I'm 35 and have been eventing only a couple years..most of my experience in horses involves a horned saddle and some barrels. However I always fancied the english riders, so I married one..now I are one, but not too fancy trust me (took me years not to walk without a bowleg)! I love to fox hunt and event now..no more barrels for me. The last time I rode in a western saddle I almost gelded myself.

I am also developer of ultimatedressage.com and now work self employed through internet tasks and starting horses. I actually do have a MS in Applied Physics, but have held jobs in manufacturing as Process Engineer or Production Manager in Cement, Solar Energy and most recent Electronic Assemblies. Commuting and the corporate world just really puts a cramp in your schedule to train for eventing.

I used to event the infamous Bubba-Gump, a 17.1 H Shire-Trakehner cross through Novice...now I have a sleeker war horse in Manahawk, Dutch WB Stallion, goals are to compete through PreLim horse trials and see what happens from there. I've got a really big TB type mare clocking MachII on foxhunts..not sure if she is the next event horse or not.

AWS Elite Stallion - Manahawk : CBF (http://www.coolbreezefarm.com)

[This message was edited by Boss Hoss on Aug. 06, 2003 at 01:46 AM.]

barbaraG
Aug. 6, 2003, 03:47 AM
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Alas, The Real name and true indentity of the Great Warrior Volunteer has never appeared in COTH. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Still waiting for my close-up http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

So, I will remaine the Lone Great Warrior Volunteer.

BarbaraG
GWV/ riding off into the sunset and upstairs to dry my hair http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

SandraD
Aug. 6, 2003, 05:20 AM
Wow, what a great thread.

I'm Sandee Slattery, from hot San Antonio. I'm 35 and a mom to 3. I work for Habitat for Humanity where I review family applications for homes. I got my start riding hunters in the Chicago area. Got turned on to eventing when I was asked to volunteer at the YRs Championships at Temple Farms in the mid 80s.
Anyone in Southern Pines! I love Linda Dreher! Evented on a leased horse through college. After school got away from the sport for a while, but continued to have horses. Now I'm eventing a 15 yo appendix QH name Leo AKA Tempting Fate that used to be my trail horse. He's been such a good sport about all this & we have been winning every unrecog. BN we've entered(BRAG!) We'll go to our first USEA event this fall when the heat backs off & make the move to Novice next year. I also have an ISR TB mare named Glenna that's in foal to an arabian sport horse for next spring. I'm shopping for a stallion for next year and I'm open to any and all suggestions. Here's a link to the barn I board at www.livingdreamsfarm.com (http://www.livingdreamsfarm.com)

Mad Max - Would love to meet you. Are you going to school at Pinehill this month? I'll also be going to Blue Ribbon Meadows in Sept.

fargonefarm
Aug. 6, 2003, 05:47 AM
Hi everyone,

It appears that I'm a bit late in responding to this, but here goes:
My name is Allison Gaughan (pronounced "gone") and I'm an eventer and trainer from Michigan (around the Ann Arbor area). I have recently started my own traning facility, called Far Gone Farm, hence my screenname. I have a Training Level mare who is recovering from tendon surgery (Ali) and a greenie who is getting ready to do his first Novice event (Roscoe) as well as a 25 year old mare and a 39 year old gelding! Various cats, parents, and a boyfriend come with the group. I'm going to be 27 on Sunday. I'm a graduate of the U-Michigan in English and Literature. Which would be why I'm a professional trainer http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Lovely to meet all of you. Good Luck in all your riding endeavors!
Riding: the art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.

triggerfoot
Aug. 6, 2003, 07:23 AM
name: julia scherschligt, usually pronounced at events as "julia s-sss-sssskerskaliked" or sometimes just "julia"
horse: allante' aka al the wonder horse, who i lease woe is me. he's fabulous.
level: training
family: marsa (4 legs) and henry (4 legs) and dan (2 legs)

**triggerfoot's discount portrait barn (http://php.indiana.edu/~juschers/art.htm)**

"Police are forced to conceed that the blowtorch really was for making creme brulee after finding several of the desserts among the charred and smoking corpses." --the onion

Firefox
Aug. 6, 2003, 07:34 AM
Hi Everyone!

My name is Cindy Wood (the firefox come from my farm name) I am aspiring to go prelim and do a CCI* some day. Like Mark, I love foxhunting and I am one of the joint-masters of Wicomico Hunt on the Eastern Shore of MD. The critter counts is this:
1 tb mare Foxhunters dream
1 yearling Conn/TB gelding
1 3yr Conn/TB mare
1 TBX 8yr gelding
2 Jack Russells terriers
1 Aussie
2 barn cats
1 husband that puts up with all of this nonsence.

Cindy
Be sure to always Kick On!

ThirdCharm
Aug. 6, 2003, 07:40 AM
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread!

Real name is Jennifer Sullivan-Holder (I'm hyphenating for anything horse-biz related until clients get used to "Holder"), my current ride is a Hann. mare named Bolivia and she will be doing Novice this fall, MAYBE Training. You will certainly be seeing us in COTH. I'm a full-time trainer and co-owner of Third Charm Training Center in Midland, NC (driving distance east of Charlotte), 32 (just turned!) and recently married to farrier Dwayne Holder, who is considering trying eventing (Like Mark, his previous competitive experience involves a horn and some barrels!). Meanwhile I'm teaching his new barrel prospect to do dressage and jump.
:-)

Oh and family also includes Aussie Shepherd, Snickers, six cats (Speedy, Socks, Cinnamon, Grey Kitty (technically named Marilyn), Mama Kitty (aka Priss), and Tiger Lily)). Horses are Copper (Lose That), Hershey (Late as Usual), Greta (Kildalton's Cross), Boo (Bolivia), Spirit (Cabbylshee Spirit), McGuire (Mark McGuire's Somer), MT (Moontime Fred) and Handy (Chieftain's Rey).

JenniferS

tle
Aug. 6, 2003, 07:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>name: julia scherschligt, usually pronounced at events as "julia s-sss-sssskerskaliked" or sometimes <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey now... I know of at least one announcer who gets it right. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy

CluesGirl
Aug. 6, 2003, 08:05 AM
Name: Jessica McGovern
Horse: none this week! up until last week, owned a fabulous 14-yo QH who I evented at BN/N the past three years.
Live: Norwell, MA (on the Sath Shoh of Bahstan)
Occupation: Electrical Engineer, part-time student (finishing EE degree)
Age: 27 (At first I typed 26 but then I remembered I had a birfday last month!)

I'm not sure if I've ever been in the Chronicle...I don't subscribe (Horrors I know!).

But a good friend is currently trying to talk me into buying her 3yo Appx QH (7/8TB) gelding. He is one of the cutest (can they be cute at 3yo and 16.3??) guys I've ever seen. He's bay with grey specks on his pasterns http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif and a white handprint on his pace. Four fingers and a thumb! She lives about 1/2 mile from me and is trying to convince me that he'll have to be out running around for another year at least anyways...and by then work will have picked back up and I won't have financial troubles.

Quick, someone lock up my checkbook.

A friend will help you move.
A really good friend will help you move a body.

milton
Aug. 6, 2003, 08:58 AM
Another library lady checking in!!
Library Assistant at a law firm in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
My name is Beth, I am 37, I don't own my own horses but help an A/O exercise & train his
3 TB eventers. I get to live at the barn and ride everyday without any of the financial issues to worry about. I have got it made until I purchase my own of course *wink*. I lurk mostly but ask questions when i am having problems and usually get great feedback.
Nice to see what everybody does-

Arcadien
Aug. 6, 2003, 09:47 AM
Another Eventers-L long time regular checking in here (hi gang!).

I'm Sherrill Keith, aka Sheri, 37, live in southern NJ on my own small farm "Arcadia" (hence COTH name). I've evented as far as Prelim (not too well tho http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) then took a year's sabatical to work on the race track as an exercise rider (mid life crisis) then ran out of money (go figure) and fortunately managed to get rehired at my old company as a Financial Analyst before I had to go bankrupt.

Held onto the forever-mare Bonnie (16 yo TB) through all this (eventers-l folk know all about Bonnie!) who says she does not want to retire and get pregnant to Windfall, so is now getting back in shape for another bid at Prelim. Also have a TB gelding, Andy, that my trainer got as far as Intermediate, but persistent lameness caused her to give him to me, where he has had a year off and is now being legged back up in hopes of having found my "schoolmaster" at last. May soon be acquiring a 3 yo blk OTTB filly, Chianti (hey, I had to take some souvenier home from my track days!) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also have 3 German shepherds, 17 cats http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif (had a few, er, unplanned litters last summer - don't worry, they're all fixed now!), 2 goats, and a partridge in a...wait forget that last one.

Cheers,
Arcadien
arcadiafarm@juno.com

PiedPiper
Aug. 6, 2003, 11:13 AM
Okay, I will reveal myself!
Name: Sara Thompson-Wenrich
Home: Leesburg Virginia
Occupation: HR and payroll for pool construction and service company in Sterling VA.
Animals: Just one right now, Pied Piper, or Piper, alas my screenname. I am not real original so I picked it. I also have two cats, Tela and Ki (originally Kylie but took to the vets a few weeks later and found out that Kylie was a Ki! Major indentity problems!) And one very loving husband who thanks God that I picked eventing instead of Hunters.

Just started eventing about 2 years ago, planned on going Training now but due to the poor weather in the spring and a fall at a Prelim table, long story, we are stuck at Novice. Plan on getting up to Prelim with him, he is 15 now, and buying something else in a year or two that will be more suited for the upper levels. Got into eventing by grooming for my trainer, Lesley Stevenson. Did my first HT and discovered that I am an adrenaline junkie!

Kaoh14
Aug. 6, 2003, 01:53 PM
I am Jeanine. I am almost 18 (finally). I am leaving in 2 weeks to go to college. I am going to SUNY Morrisville where i will be an equine science major. I am eventually going to either specialize in breaking and training or breeding, i havent decided yet.

I dont have a horse. My leg is almost better from being broken. I should be able to get on a horse right before i go to college, which is very good. When i start riding again i have decided that i am going to take equitation and dressage lessons and hopefully start eventing for real. I have done a couple BN events with a non-event trainer, but I really would like to event. I think that is my dream http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have also found that without a horse it isnt easy to event.

In the past i have mostly done local shows: Junior hunters, and a few c rated i think jumpers in the child/AA class..... I hope to eventually (maybe during my junior year in college) get a young horse and then train it to event.

I also have 2 dogs, a JRT and a doberman golden x, and 3 cats.... and im wishing i had a horse http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but oh well, thats life and i cant afford one

thats it i think!

--------
Kaoh14
-- go big or go home --

http://community.webshots.com/user/kaoh14

IQ3day
Aug. 6, 2003, 04:24 PM
Hey!My name is Coren Morgan. Im a 15 year old Young Rider from area IV. I have two horses I am currently competing~
Higher Learning "IQ" (but we call him Qbert)- he is an 11 y/o TB who I currently competing Prelim on. We are set to leave for Canada to represent AREA IV CCI* YR tream.

Early Achiever "Early Squirly"- 5 y/o TB who is currently going Training and soon to move to Prelim.

I am new to COTH so it is nice to meet you all! Goodluck in the fall Season!
Coren http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

barbaraG
Aug. 6, 2003, 05:37 PM
http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

Hello Coren, and Welcome to the Board!!

Wonderful people here. Lots of fun.

Cheers,
BarbaraG
GWV/All these Riders are mine!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Toby2Socks
Aug. 6, 2003, 06:03 PM
*arrives fashionably late*
I was about to post on this thread earlier, but my internet died. I'm Mackenzie Fox! I live in Laytonsville, MD. I'm 15, and a sophmore in high school. I love eventing and foxhunting. I have a 13 year old Qh cross mare (first horse), and a 7 year old TB/clyd/morgan (Toby). I love them both so much! Me and Toby have been eventing at the BN level, and having a blast. Woah, I don't know how I can turn a "what's your name"? question into a biography of my horse! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

&lt;3 Toby Two Socks &lt;3
A horse is like a best friend. They`re always there to nuzzle you and make your life a better place.

AppJumpr08
Aug. 6, 2003, 07:49 PM
Well I've been meaning to join in too - so here goes http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My real name is Jessica Creighton, and I'm 21. I live in the far reaches of Area 1 (like there is a central part to it!!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif). I am currently eventing my 6 year old OTTB gelding at Training level, with a move-up to Prelim planned for the near future (as long as he stays sound/well/out of trouble! - it's been a long year http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) He's a power pony (15.1), named Imagineer, and i LOFF him!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I've been a WS/groom for Bruce and Buck Davidson, and am planning on going back to FL with them this year http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I also have a TB broodmare, Medina, and her almost yearling colt, Image (a TB/Lusitano X).

Nice to meet you all! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Jessica
Personal slave to Newt, Image, and Dina!

Gnep
Aug. 6, 2003, 09:13 PM
Uncloaking sounds like Star Treck, or the dirty...., well skip that.
I am what is called a legal allien, or what I call it a Wet Back First Class, ups political incorect, as usual.
Name is Gunther ( americanised already nobody can pronounce the original version ) Hardt.
Have been in Eventig all my live. First in Europe, quiet a while ago, than I had the silly idear of riding a couple horse across the US, first east west than south north, took 3 years, same horses. Made a business out of it and guided tourist on long distance trailrides, 500 miles in 11 days, did that for 12 years, gave me a start in the country.
Did some cuting und reining, worked on ranches pushing cows, rode fences, broke broncs, did some wild cattle and horses on BLM and what ever on a horse that put a beer and something to eat in the fridge.
In between I opended a laundromat.
About 8 years ago some PC-mothers called and wanted to know if I could give riding lessons in Jumping, Dressage and X-C and would coach on shows. was low on beermoney and said yes. Coached first show, St Johns, and had to watch the horses and kids I trained having to much fun.. Once home again, I draged the only horse that looked like it could jump of the pasture. !10 year old Appendix, with some wins, misserable dude-horse, Half blind on one eye, got me somekinde dresage saddle and worked the guy for 2 weeks over. It sucked.
Than we jumped and that worked out real nice.
We got to intermediat, did some One Stars. Got ready for two stars and he farted around the corral and blew a tendon.
Built a mini mal and a knew laundromat and broker hay
Now I got a mare, his grand nice, going prelim, Reed thinks his horse can wip her, gone find out, want we ?
Ahso nearly forgot the statistics.
Degree in Engeneering University of Cologne
Degree in Busines University of Nuernberg.
Profession BOSS. Best Of all Shit Shovlers
According to chekbook, unmarried and no children.
15 Horse, 2 Llamas, 4 Dogs, 5 Cats.

Irrsin hat keine Grenzen

[This message was edited by Gnep on Aug. 07, 2003 at 12:23 AM.]

Arcadien
Aug. 7, 2003, 08:20 AM
Gue,
Your posts always make me chuckle. Good luck with your new horse. Thanks for the (colorful) background story and welcome to COTH!

Sheri (from Eventers-l)
aka,
Arcadien

Gnep
Aug. 7, 2003, 11:01 AM
Sheri,
It should be called CLOTH now, because of the uncloaking

Irrsin hat keine Grenzen

Harbour's Mom
Aug. 7, 2003, 12:24 PM
I want to join in on the fun!

My name is Asheley Ireland and I'm from the very cold state of Maine. I'm a senior in high school this year and inbetween cleaning stalls, waitressing, and riding, I'm the manager of a summer schooling dressage show and the junior board member on the local dressage board. I have two horses. One is a retired TB gelding who I've owned for 6 years. We didn't do much showing, he wasn't the ideal first horse but I love him to pieces. Last year I found myself the lucky owner of a second horse Harbour Lee (barn name Olivia). Shes a 13 year old Selle Francis/TB mare. Olivia has taken on the role of rebuilding my confidence. We've completed two novice events finishing 2nd and 6th and have done several dressage shows. The middle of this summer Olivia injured herself playing in the field and has been out of work. We're hoping to be back for some fall events.

Other than that I'm an 18 year old with no clue as to what I want to be, my horse's stalls are cleaner that my room and I'd rather read the COTH than the first 6 chapters of my bio book due the first day of school. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

"You're never too good to grab mane."

Arcadien
Aug. 7, 2003, 05:48 PM
"It should be called CLOTH now, because of the uncloaking"
http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif
"Irrsin hat keine Grenzen"
Is that German or some other Wet Back First Class lingo? Don't we get a translation... or maybe we don't want one... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Sheri
aka Arcadien

Toby2Socks
Aug. 7, 2003, 06:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arcadien:
"It should be called CLOTH now, because of the uncloaking"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rotflmao! wow im a real sucker for corny jokes..im laughing way to hard over here http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

&lt;3 Toby Two Socks &lt;3
A horse is like a best friend. They`re always there to nuzzle you and make your life a better place.

MsRidiculous
Aug. 7, 2003, 07:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraD:
Wow, what a great thread.

I'm Sandee Slattery, from hot San Antonio. I'm 35 and a mom to 3. I work for Habitat for Humanity where I review family applications for homes. I got my start riding hunters in the Chicago area. Got turned on to eventing when I was asked to volunteer at the YRs Championships at Temple Farms in the mid 80s.
Anyone in Southern Pines! I love Linda Dreher! Evented on a leased horse through college. After school got away from the sport for a while, but continued to have horses. Now I'm eventing a 15 yo appendix QH name Leo AKA Tempting Fate that used to be my trail horse. He's been such a good sport about all this & we have been winning every unrecog. BN we've entered(BRAG!) We'll go to our first USEA event this fall when the heat backs off & make the move to Novice next year. I also have an ISR TB mare named Glenna that's in foal to an arabian sport horse for next spring. I'm shopping for a stallion for next year and I'm open to any and all suggestions. Here's a link to the barn I board at http://www.livingdreamsfarm.com

Mad Max - Would love to meet you. Are you going to school at Pinehill this month? I'll also be going to Blue Ribbon Meadows in Sept.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I may have met you before. Did you sell a 2horse bumper pull trailer about a year ago?

Either way- I am the YR rep for TCE. I can certainly see judging by the points standings that you've been doing really well this year, although it seems as if we've been dodging each other.. I've done the events that you've skipped, and vice versa! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Anyway, congrats on your success this year and I hope to see you around this fall.

-Amanda

www.risingstarfarm.net (http://www.risingstarfarm.net)

AppJumpr08
Aug. 7, 2003, 08:25 PM
Asheley - where in Maine? I'm in the midcoast area http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Good to see someone else from the Coldest State in New England!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~Jessica
Personal slave to Newt, Image, and Dina!

KWS
Aug. 7, 2003, 10:38 PM
Hi all..I've just changed my user name from Kiwi Sporthorses to the shortened version above!

I'm Michelle, just turned 30 (Uh-oh), and have 3 horses, a couple of cats, a dog, and a fabulous non-horsey-but-supportive-husband-to-be!

The horses:

Buzzy - 16hh 7yr old grey TB gelding. Just placed at his first CCI*. Very cool, once in a lifetime type of pony!! Will start Int this season. His pic is on the front page of the web.. www.kiwisporthorses.com (http://www.kiwisporthorses.com) and also on the photo gallery page. My all time favourite pony!!

Whizzy - Intermediate level. 16.2hh 15 yr old grey gelding. Totally eccentric, suspicious, fruitcake. By Aberlou..the NZ eventing super-sire...and he not only inherited Ab's phenominal jump and great movement, but also inherited his fabulous buck and eccentric temperament!!! Needless to say, Whizz was retired very sound, at age 12. He's now my lawnmower.

I don't compete at all now, since I saw my friend and business partner have a really bad accident in November. Totally put me off I'm afraid. Though I am not good on the sidelines either...I am probably more nervous watching my horses go, than when I was riding them!!! I have a fabulous rider for Buzzy, who adores him and does a great job with him.

I'm also having my first (proper) trip to the US and Canada in about 8 weeks, (KY, MD, then up to Ontario) which should be great fun. Looking forward to meeting lots of people and checking out the US eventing scene. And doing lots of shopping of course...

Over and out!

redpony
Aug. 8, 2003, 04:43 AM
Hi Daydream Believer,
When you said you got your Mustang in Watertown, N.Y.,it brought back some memories. I grew up there desperately wanting to ride, lost in cow country. Of course this was over 40 years ago. Has it improved?

ThirdCharm
Aug. 8, 2003, 04:51 AM
Hey, I grew up in Smithfield, Maine (big points if y'all know where THAT is!!) and rode with Michael Poulin when I was a Junior and Senior in HS, at his farm in Fairfield.

JenniferS

Specks
Aug. 8, 2003, 06:58 AM
Third Charm / Jennifer-
Do you have a student called Lauren Claire and her horse Suny? My non horsey brother, who lives in Charlotte, can't remember the last name of his daughter's coach, but knows her first name is Jennifer... is that you?

ThirdCharm
Aug. 8, 2003, 10:19 AM
Hey there, I just started working with Lauren Claire and Sunny a few weeks ago....! Small world!

JenniferS
http://www.thirdcharmtrainingcenter.com

Backstage
Aug. 8, 2003, 11:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KWS:
I'm also having my first (proper) trip to the US and Canada in about 8 weeks, (KY, MD, then up to Ontario) which should be great fun. Looking forward to meeting lots of people and checking out the US eventing scene. And doing lots of shopping of course...

Over and out!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whereabouts in Ontario will you be visiting?

The Canadian Experience: the Windchill factor and the Humidex

KWS
Aug. 8, 2003, 01:10 PM
Backstage Pass - I'm going to Markam (sp??) to visit a friend for a couple of days. I think thats what its called anyway!

Gnep
Aug. 8, 2003, 04:07 PM
Arcadien
Irrsinn hat keine Grenzen = Madness has no limits

Irrsin hat keine Grenzen

eal
Aug. 8, 2003, 05:41 PM
Ok, My turn!
I can't believe I just found this thread! It has been very interesting reading for the last hour! I, too, am a member of Eventers-L!
My name is Biddie Lowry and I started riding again after a lapse of 25+years. Glad to see there are a couple of people older than I am!
I bought my first horse 5 years ago, Spice. He and I have learned about dressage and cross-country together. I used to do hunters and so did he, fortunately, he remembers more about it than I do ! He has saved my butt more than once!

We have been at Novice for about 2 years and have aspirations for Training. Don't think I'll make COTH anytime soon which is ok.

I teach school for a living, sixth grade math. I have 1 husband, 2 boys (both going to college), 3 dogs, and Spice. We live in York, SC.

I really enjoy reading this board. It is very informative. Drifting Cloud-I figured that was you! I'll write soon! Congrats, Jennifer, on the wedding bells!

eal- oh those are my real initials. I use it in my email, so it just came. Not too creative! Bye for now!

Daydream Believer
Aug. 8, 2003, 06:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redpony:
Hi Daydream Believer,
When you said you got your Mustang in Watertown, N.Y.,it brought back some memories. I grew up there desperately wanting to ride, lost in cow country. Of course this was over 40 years ago. Has it improved?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG. Who dug this old thread up? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I guess I was the first to uncloak wasn't I? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif It's funny to look back at a year ago in our posts isn't it? I can't believe it's been a year myself...time flies.

Watertown is still cow/dairy country. I loved the beauty of the area and found the people very likable too but the winters were impossible. Literally 9 months of snow. Finding a good stable up there to board at was very hard and mostly folks ride western or hunters. I was one of two dressage riders and the only eventer in the whole area. I hauled over 3 hours one way to Carol Kozlawski down in Geneseo for lessons. I miss the wonderful cool summers and Otter Creek Horse Trails. What a wonderful place that was...60 miles of trails, camping with your horse, and evenings around the campfire talking horses!

"No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle..." Winston Churchill

Killian
Nov. 26, 2003, 12:45 PM
Hi Cindy -

How are you? This is Killian (Andrea).

I just started using the COTH BB about 5 days ago & have already met Suniday.

I understand WHC loves their current huntsmen & has some really ripping hunts. Bully for you!

I will have to visit WHC some time soon. Carolyn is coming to visit me in Baltimore soon, then I will be doing the same.

I'd love to see you all in action again. I may even inquire as to capping in the not-so-distant future.

Enjoy the Thanksgiving Day hunt!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Firefox:
Hi Everyone!

My name is Cindy Wood (the firefox come from my farm name) I am aspiring to go prelim and do a CCI* some day. Like Mark, I love foxhunting and I am one of the joint-masters of Wicomico Hunt on the Eastern Shore of MD. The critter counts is this:
1 tb mare Foxhunters dream
1 yearling Conn/TB gelding
1 3yr Conn/TB mare
1 TBX 8yr gelding
2 Jack Russells terriers
1 Aussie
2 barn cats
1 husband that puts up with all of this nonsence.

Cindy
Be sure to always Kick On!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

punk
Nov. 28, 2003, 04:00 PM
Hello,
My name is Jamie Weirick. I was born in 1989. My dad has been gone at war for 8 months. I ride a 5yr old TB. We are doing our FIRST prelim in a few weeks at Jumping Branch!!

Jamie

AJHorsey
Nov. 29, 2003, 09:48 AM
OK, I'll oin, though I noticed that for the first time, tle was closer to being on time! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Name:Amanda J Petrosky
Career: College student, attempting to get a degree so that eventually I can get a real job.
Major: Music Education- flute major, piano minor.
Horse: 14.3hh 7 yr old Standardbred, Strider. We are learning the eventing this together, competed through novice, moving up to training this summer, we hope. He and I are both ready, I think. Also help my Dad with his 4 yr old STB mare. Both pacers off the track.
Other animals: Well, not all personally mine, but heres the household list: 2 cats, 2 goldfish, 2 guinea pigs, 2 gerbils, 1 beta, and feed the albino squirrels in the neighborhood.

Punk, check PT's.

Standardbred lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing
Standardbred Clique
ARMY Brat
Disgruntled College Students Clique
"I am a great asset!"-Maj Burns
"You're only off by two letters."-Hawkeye ~M.A.S.H.

greyiscute
Nov. 30, 2003, 01:26 PM
Hey everybody!

I'm Susan Dykstra. I'm a sophmore at UNC-Asheville, pretending to major in Environmental Studies. We'll see how long that lasts. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

greyiscute is reference to my absolutly amazing 15 hand gray arabian "Grey" (clever huh?) who took me prelim and is now packing my mom around beginner novice. I am currently taking a horse training who, once we get some dressage and show jumping issues figured out, should go prelim in the spring (if he doesn't sell).

Bensmom: I think I was stabled across from you at Paradise...I didn't realize it until we had left. I had the big buckskin and the little grey arab.

S4zeus
Nov. 30, 2003, 07:51 PM
Hi, I am Sarah Holmquist. I am 17 years old and just started eventing when an event rider moved into our hunter barn. I just bought the horse I lease, a half draft/tennessee walker. Zeus is 17.2 and 6 years old. We have down one elementary level event and have a dressage show in two weeks. We have plans to do more horse trials this spring and summer. My aspiration is that we can make it to Prelim together. We are both learning as we go. We are continuing to have fun with each other.

Sarah

Common sense is the least common thing in the world.

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/62832282gErEqu

New Member of the Draftie/Draftie X Clique!

Janet
Nov. 30, 2003, 08:16 PM
Just an update, since this is more htan a yea old.

Belle is now competing at Training, and at high AA Jumpers.

Sportscar is now competing at Advanced, completed Fair Hill CCI ***, just had an article in the Chronicle, and has been declared "Mare of the Year".<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:
I am Janet (surprise!) Gunn.

My sister, who I sometimes refer to, is Gillian Clissold. You are more lilely to see her name than mine in the results (with Sportscar at Prelim and Intermediate, and various others at lower levels).

But you will sometimes see my name at Novice with Morning Glory's Belle Fille.

But I am more active as a volunteer (and volunteer coordinator) with CDCTA.

[This message was edited by Janet on Nov. 30, 2003 at 11:13 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Janet
chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain

bounce
Nov. 30, 2003, 09:38 PM
Hi Everyone

My name is Amy Miller and I live in Summerville, SC. My husband and I own a small boarding/training facility with a great group of eventers! BRF (http://www.bankersrunfarm.com) I have been eventing for 23 or so years now. My current trainer has encouraged me to make the move out of the lower ranks... from where I have been hiding since I had my daughter 7years ago. I am now competing a 15.2 h TB gelding- Groovy, at preliminary. He is the most wonderful horse (I may be a little biased, but...)! I also have a new 6 year old TB gelding that had his first outing this weekend (Please don't let THAT one be in COTH!!!) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Hope to meet everyone at the events!

gillenwaterfarm
Dec. 1, 2003, 06:43 AM
Better late then never...

Hi, I'm Megan Gillenwater (hence the screen name). I am an accomplished lurker on this board. I live in a little town named Wilsonville, AL, just south of Birmingham. I am 25, and currently have no job other then gestating.

I have only evented once, spring 2003. Then I got pregnant, and haven't ridden since. I'm due in Jan, and will dive right into legging both me and pony up for the BN & N unrecognized events in 2004. Goal is to do rec. N by end of 2004. Look for me in COTH in 2005 http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Current pony is a 13 year old, 15.2 hand arabian gelding that I've had since he was born (I delivered him!). He seen me through hunter pleasure, western pleasure, reining, working cowhorse, dressage, hunters, jumpers, and is now putting it all together for eventing. He is shown under the name "The Grinch", and known around the farm as the grumpy old man. If you ever get to meet him, you will understand the name choice.

I own two other horses, Rose and Piper. Rose is a two year old (turning three) ID/TB cross, Piper is a yearling (turning 2) TB. Both will be eventers and future broodmares when grown and ready.

The Farm is rounded out by my hubby, three dogs, two cats, five fish, and three mares I'm boarding for a friend.

Its been great learning who everyone is...

M

Bensmom
Dec. 1, 2003, 07:47 AM
greyiscute! You WERE across the aisle from us at Paradise!!

I think I'm going to start adding "Bensmom" to my stall cards http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif We have met so many neat people here first and then in person -- it is wonderful having friends wherever we go! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Grey is Adorable and manohman, the buckskin, Charlie, would have gone home on my trailer if I could have gotten away with it!

The Little Monster put on quite a show that weekend at Paradise. Saturday afternoon, he pulled my friend's hanging bag into his stall and proceeded to EAT her showclothes. One shirt was totally green and now has some "air vents" but fortunately, a passer by got to him before he had done anything more with the show coats than stomp them into the shavings. &lt;whew&gt; Then, on Sunday, he stepped into his hay bag while it was still clipped to his stall and then left, with it still wrapped around his ankle. &lt;sigh&gt; He managed to separate the panels of the temp stalls and almost pull one over before we cut him loose.

Traveling with him is always interesting! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif I had three people come up to me at Pine Top this weekend and say "look, this is the horse that had the fight with the raccoon!!" http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Susan, I'm glad to "meet" you, even though we didn't realize it until later! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Libby

*Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*

CarolinaGirl
Dec. 1, 2003, 09:44 AM
Hi! My name is Michelle Hatch and I live in Summerville, SC (I board/trian at bounce's barn BRF (http://www.bankersrunfarm.com)). I currently own a 7y/o TB gelding that is doing training/prelim that I got as a 4y/o doing Bgn novice. He has taken me a long way and has been great for me but is not really interested in doing anything bigger so at the moment he is for sale and hopefully will sell soon!

Carolina Girls- Best in the World.
http://www.hometown.aol.com/shellylee4/index.html

Mags-a-million
Dec. 2, 2003, 07:08 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Crystal Rhoad. I live in Moncks Corner, SC. I have a 15 hand, 14 year old, QH cross mare. Maggie. She was my first buy. I'm in the market for a new one. Maggie stays at Bounce's barn. The barn buddies are great over there.

rideaspider
Dec. 2, 2003, 03:17 PM
I suppose I've lurked long enough...might as well play along!

Rebecca Bentley, Valdosta, GA. 26 yrs old and I compete on Spider (now there's a suprise) at the more southerly HT's in Area III. So far we've done BN and Novice, but plan on moving up to Training come February. I love to meet people at shows, but apologize in advance that I'm horrible with names. Please, please, by all means - if you see me at a show give a yell and tell me you're from COTH. I'll figure the names out eventually, I promise!

Member of the mounting block clique!
"WHOAA Dragon!!....Dragons are SOOO stupid!!" - Yosemite Sam