PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic stirrup leathers on leather saddle?

meupatdoes
May. 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone

So, there is pretty much nothing I hate more than cleaning stirrup leathers. I can tolerate giving the saddle a wipe down with the old Stubben Hammanol, but doing the stirrup leathers grates my very soul. You have to pull it down to get the bit behind the stirrup bar and then pull it back and the sponge always falls out of my hand and it is just very no bueno.

Not a fan.

So my poor abused nylon lined non-stretch leathers have bitten the dust, probably because of my refusal to take any care of them whatsoever, and I am on the hunt for a replacement.

Has anyone used these (http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Kincade-Redi-Ride-Synthetic-Stirrup-Leathers-P1546.aspx) or these (http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/HDR-Synthetic-Stirrup-Leathers-P4041.aspx)?
They look very appealing because they cost practically nothing and I can skip cleaning them without feeling guilty.
I am worried though that they will scratch up my nice leather saddle which I actually do care for and care about.

Also are they non-stretch? I would assume so since they aren't leather but if someone has experienced otherwise I would appreciate the heads up. The other thing that grates my very soul is having to fiddle around with uneven stirrups from stretching. Hole #9 and go, baby!

Manni01
May. 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
There are very good synthetic Stirrup leathers by Wintec...(I think called the proline) I used them on leather saddles and had no problems so far....

mzm farm
May. 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have used webbers from wintec for years - no problems with any of my saddles.

johnnysauntie
May. 11, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'm actually thinking about switching back to Webbers because the feel of the buckle under my leg is starting to drive me nuts. I used Wintec's webbers made of "equisuede" for years and they held up pretty well. The Proline leathers mentioned above by Manni01 are also made of equisuede.

After a lot of use (as in years) the holes in the webbers would start to fray a bit, but I didn't notice any stretching. I would think that a strap (in proper stirrup leather form, with a buckle) made from the same material would hold up really well. And I'm glad to hear that the equisuede hasn't posed a problem when used with a leather saddle.

charismaryllis
May. 11, 2012, 11:33 AM
the newer wintecs have a much flatter buckle and attachment than the old ones did; the pleather itself is also thinner so there's much less bulge over the bars.

however, if you're ordering them, be aware that 65" or so is the new "60"." i ordered a pair of what were advertised (and labelled) as 60" inch wintecs and they're actually almost 66 inches long (--which majorly threw off the holes. had to get a dozen more holes punched in them).

arabiansrock
May. 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
Courbette has some sythetic leathers that are covered with equisued type material, I have a pair (used on synthetic saddle). They are nice but running the stirrups up and down is hard on the equisuede. I had the wintec pro webbers (the equisuede ones) and they wore better because you didn't run the stirrups up the same way. I do like the webbers.

Appsolute
May. 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
Another one who has used wintec webbers on a leather saddle with no issues. Used webbers on my crosby dressage saddle for years and never saw any excessive wear.

Just yesterday I was getting annoyed at the "lump" from the leathers under my thigh on my new saddle. I think I need to pick up another pair of webbers!

meupatdoes
May. 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
Ok, thanks guys!

So, one more question:

Those of you with the webbies - when you're done riding, how do you roll them up/put them up neatly?

arabiansrock
May. 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
change the hook to hte top hole, run stirrup up and tuck loop thru stirrup

alto
May. 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
Having seen enough Kincaid products, go with the HDR or Wintecs (the Webbers are a personal like/dislike thing).

dwblover
May. 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
LOVE my Wintec webbers! I cannot stand buckles under my thighs!! They have not harmed my Schleese saddle either.:D There are also Pro Webbers that are a synthetic suede so would be even softer.

Kementari
May. 12, 2012, 02:10 AM
Ok, thanks guys!

So, one more question:

Those of you with the webbies - when you're done riding, how do you roll them up/put them up neatly?

There is a hole at the very top (a few inches below the stirrup bar). Unhook it from the hole where it is when you are riding, then run your stirrup up to above that top hole. Then put the hooky thing (technical term ;)) into that top hole. Not only will your stirrup be run up, but it won't ever be able to slide down - serious bonus if you are moving your saddle around (like going to a show or hauling out for whatever reason) or lunging! :yes:

Adelatus
May. 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
A few weeks ago I bought some of the Keiffer Secu leathers. It's pretty hard to tell the difference between them and real leather, but they won't stretch. They are perhaps a little stiffer and won't soften like normal leather, but I can forgive that if they don't stretch. I'm certainly pleased with their appearance.