PDA

View Full Version : Old Horse Show Fads

Private Dancer
Mar. 23, 2001, 10:55 AM
Someone mentioned on a thread several weeks ago, the long gone horse show fad of doing checkerboards on horse's rumps.

Anyone old enough (PamM? Just kidding!) to remember the fad of the 70's/80's when many top trainers/riders showed in those thin steeplechase stirrups with tape wrapped around the bottom, or leather pads specially made for them? They were very trendy and I'm keeping them - just waiting for the fad to return!

Or the 3' thick foam rubber pads (and no white pad) used with crocheted pummel pads? (better, Merry?! LOL)

[This message was edited by Zulla Road on Mar. 23, 2001 at 02:02 PM.]

Private Dancer
Mar. 23, 2001, 10:55 AM
Someone mentioned on a thread several weeks ago, the long gone horse show fad of doing checkerboards on horse's rumps.

Anyone old enough (PamM? Just kidding!) to remember the fad of the 70's/80's when many top trainers/riders showed in those thin steeplechase stirrups with tape wrapped around the bottom, or leather pads specially made for them? They were very trendy and I'm keeping them - just waiting for the fad to return!

Or the 3' thick foam rubber pads (and no white pad) used with crocheted pummel pads? (better, Merry?! LOL)

[This message was edited by Zulla Road on Mar. 23, 2001 at 02:02 PM.]

Merry
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:00 AM
Not the return of the crocheted pommel pad discussion! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Yes, we remember them well. And yes, there appears to be a resurgence. In fact, whatever happened to our plan for a cottage industry, manufacturing crocheted pommel pads and the illustrious monogramamatic? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Sleepy
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:06 AM
I remember all of the above except I don't think the pads were but an inch and half or so thick. I wish the crocheted pommel pads would come back in style. I had a nice little sideline going for a while. Notice the colored yarn in braids is apparently making a come back.

Jumphigh83
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:06 AM
Those pommel pads (the fad) aren't THAT old! (are they??)

Jumphigh83
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:07 AM
ooops..I forgot ..colored hunt caps! I saw a few in Ocala..they are ummm....different...

Ben and Me
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:13 AM
What about the rolled-leather bridles?! They're actually kinda neat looking...I'd never seen them before but then somebody posted a pic of a horse they used to show.

nelson
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:15 AM
OMG, I am old! I used to ride my junior hunter with those aluminum sturrips with the latex wrapped around them!!! (The was from '83 until about '87) Yikes! The thought frightens me now. And God help you if you lost one of those sturrips while on course. They were so light they would bounce all over so you couldn't get them back. Ugh.

Private Dancer
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:16 AM
Ha, Nelson! I used to switch from those stirrups into Steubbens for the eq classes for that very reason!

Dementia 13
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:23 AM
Stick tails! Definitely a 70's-80's thing.

Sleepy
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:25 AM
The waffle weave Harry Halls, custom shirts, and Pytchley coats, including this interesting one with silver buttons on the back vent and a waistline like a hunting pinque. Can't remember what that was called. Then earlier there were the plaid coats (aren't we seeing that again) and colored chokers with a pin.

Ben & Me, those round bridles just looked cool on somebody else's horse. They were awful to take apart and reassemble. And can we say stiff.

Nickelodian
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:36 AM
What are "stick tails"?

Dementia 13
Mar. 23, 2001, 11:45 AM
The tail is french braided in the normal manner, then the remaining hair is braided in a regular braid and stuffed inside the french braided portion of the tail to form something that looks very much like a stick. They looked very cool on ponies with wide butts!

A variation of the mud tail...

lauriep
Mar. 23, 2001, 12:08 PM
Yes, the foam pads were more like 1.5" thick and everyone (except us at Sandron) used them.

The rolled bridles preceded the pommel pads, as I recall, and really didn't last long, and I really liked the pommel pads. Some of the nicest ones actually had foam inside the crochet so they were of some benefit.

Doubled and stitched stirrup leathers were also popular about that time (late 70's).

Let me think of some more...

Laurie

Janet
Mar. 23, 2001, 12:23 PM
No saddle pads

Fat braids (about 12 of them).

Wide leather on the bridles.

Black Market Radio
Mar. 23, 2001, 01:12 PM
I have a double bridle from that era, with the bits sewn on it! And the cavesson is like 2 inches wide! It's a great decorator item, goes with my Blue Ribbon saddle that is 30 years old!

HuntJumpSC
Mar. 23, 2001, 01:21 PM
Around here, I'm known as the "Queen of colored hunt caps" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Hmm, let's see~ so far I've collected 3 blue, 1 emerald, 1 mint, 1 burgundy, & 1 very bright red! And my light golden brown one is on the way! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif SUZ

Nickelodian
Mar. 23, 2001, 01:23 PM
Suz, you resisted the neon pink on ebay???? How could you?

lauriep
Mar. 23, 2001, 01:26 PM
that bridle would have been for an appointments class back when they required the bit(s) to be sewn in, no hook/stud style allowed! And no fancy browmands/cavessons.

Those days are long gone...sniff, sniff.

Laurie

equitationlane
Mar. 23, 2001, 02:00 PM
How could you ever forget the BEAUTIFUL hunt coats with the velvet collars? And, did ya know, when the fad faded, most of the collars just had sizing underneath the velvet? Made the coat uselessunless you were quite the seamstress.

OnyxThePony
Mar. 23, 2001, 02:01 PM
No, I don't recall that.. but I've seen those crocheted pommel pads in stores and wondered what the heck they were for! How were they used?
My trainer had the absolute most gorgeous rolled bridle! Oh, drool!!! It was my entire ambition to ride well enough to become a trainer, to merit having one of those gorgeous rolled bridles one day! I still like them!
We all rode in those flat flat original Crosbys, no knee rolls, no padded or seuded flaps, basically no seat. I have an original Pessoa like that and I love it still!
More fads I wish would come back.. the hunter classes that weren't cookie-cutter.. stuff like Conformation, Handy, Working, etc etc.

daytimedrama
Mar. 23, 2001, 06:26 PM
my trainer was trying to get me to use the foam riser alone and show in it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

~Christina~
"Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!" JD;Heathers

CBoylen
Mar. 23, 2001, 06:41 PM
All the hunters from my barn, including mine /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif go out with a crocheted pommel pad in the barn colors on top of their white hunter pads. We do not show in the sticks or think three inch wide nosebands are cool /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I know there must be other people that still use them, but to tell you the truth I haven't noticed.

skysmom
Mar. 23, 2001, 07:02 PM
Rexford, you stole my idea!! I thought my velvet collar and choker was the best ever!! (must be due to the CD up-bringing /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.. How about those featherd crops ( someone told me there illegal now?! ) .. and the round horse show numbers that hooked onto the collar of your coat!! hated those, always cutting into my neck..

rusty
Mar. 23, 2001, 09:34 PM
DD20 if you are riding in a 30 year old blue ribbon saddle you have a good one. I still have mine, however check the webbing that the billets are sewn into to make sure it is safe. I had the billets come completely off of a old saddle. It was really scarry when that happened. I am still thankful that no one was hurt when that happened.

Bumpkin
Mar. 23, 2001, 09:41 PM
Poncho sports a lovely Passier rolled bridle from the 70's. It is a nice brown colour and one of the few non stiff hard to put together ones.
Of course it is only used for schooling and everyday riding.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lord Helpus
Mar. 24, 2001, 08:21 AM
And, yes, I remember all the fads. I still have my pelham with stiched reins..... And I believe that my old Stubben Seigfried (sp?) is still around my mom's farm somewhere. I never liked rolled bridles so I never owned one, but I remember them.

And growing up, braiding was always 11 or 12 braids -- odd for gledings and even number for mares (or vice-versa, but the number of braids was determined by the sex of the horse -- does anyone know why this was?)

Ans the "fad" of bringing horses to the ring with their numbers tied around their necks..... Started in the days when horses were regularly drugged and the numbers were tied over the needle hole in case a drop of blood might show.....It continued because it was easy to keep numbers straight. But I kid you not, it started in the '60's, before the current D&M rules were enforced to hide needle marks. (I am far too old .....SIGH)

ALittleBitOfLuck
Mar. 24, 2001, 10:04 AM
<<We do not show in the sticks or think three inch wide nosebands are cool>>

I LOVE the bridles with the thick, flat nosebands.... like Dover's "hunt" bridle. I'm 19, and an older friend of mine has a beautiful one from when she showed in the early 80s. I want to steal it from her!

Merry
Mar. 24, 2001, 05:19 PM
Huh, I thought you tied your horse's # around its neck for the jog because it looked cool, like you had more than one horse in contention: all your horses, you know, were stacked up at the backgate waiting for the call back, with their respective #'s around their necks, LOL!

Rolled bridles were never my fave, because they seemed so wobbly and soft, with a lot of movement in them. Like you'd pull on the reins and there'd be this bulge of leather on the side of your horse's face?

I still like the velvet collars on the huntcoats. I saw a girl at the show today in a beautiful, rich tweed brown coat with a brown velvet collar, and I must say it looked really nice... but of course, she was the only one wearing such a coat, so I felt like I was having a flashback. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Kryswyn
Mar. 24, 2001, 06:17 PM
WishfulThinking, there's no need to go to jail for stealing your friends bridle!

Anyone wanting best quality traditional flat tack with the wide cavessons should press the little icon for email in the corner of this post /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~Kryswyn~
"Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"

brilyntrip
Mar. 24, 2001, 07:23 PM
Ok this is how dated i am
I like the crocheted pommel pads thank you
Remember the thick foam pads? YES and glad that I dont see them any more!
Race stirrups yes I remember them again glad I don't see them anymore along with the ugly ROLLED bridles YUK !
velvet collars YUK colored helmets MAJOR YUK Thanx
What about the HUGE RING snaffles????
Anyone remember SEWING THE BRAIDS IN ? I DO AND DID but don't anymore!

Bumpkin
Mar. 24, 2001, 07:30 PM
I finally got a pair of brown Dehner's haha!!

Yes, I definately remember the large, large loose ring snaffles. I mean the ring was big enough to put around a horses muzzle, I kid you not.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jen West
Mar. 24, 2001, 07:49 PM
I was just little...my mom had made my hunt coat, but with two splits...I was SO embarassed. My trainer said that it's the new style. I thought she was just being nice. (I was young...I didn't know about hunter trainers yet. Haha.) It WAS the new style. I think of it as the fad that won't go away. AND I'd wear canary breeches before I'd wear rust. (I am SO old!).
Oh, and field boots. Is THAT fad about over? Or am I holding my breath? The thing that annoys me the most about the field boot thing (oh just say it ain't so and that y'all wear dress boots. *sigh*) is that I first noticed it on AQHA competitors and I hate to think that they are influencing AHSA competitors so much.
But I am loving those old flat hard saddles I'm finding so cheap. They need some restuffing, but they ride so close to the horse. I can't imagine riding with heavy foam under them. I like the different "new" high density foam pads though. They seem to work well, those and Woolbacks. (another sigh).
Oh, and I got a STEAL on a Stubben rolled bridle. I love it.

2Dogs
Mar. 25, 2001, 05:04 AM
okay, okay, back in the 60's when I was showing as a little-un, not only the Stubbens, etc. etc. but the cotton coats made by local tailor with madras or checked lining and matching chokers! I still have a few....much more colorful in those days. And I had all my Corinthian class goop, which was a real challenge on those outside courses. Sigh.....I do look forward to wearing coats that are not shades of green or blue (I am going brown...). And why no more cotton coats?? - great in the hot weather.

skysmom
Mar. 25, 2001, 05:13 AM
All this talk of wide bridles, brown field boots ect.. makes me think of the Outside Course..jumping coops & liverpools, so far away from the judge, Not that I want to bring that back (fallen off in cow plop once too often). Also appointment classes, sandwich boxes,white gloves, flask, ect. That was alot of work.. I used to sew braids in too!!

Jen West
Mar. 25, 2001, 06:43 AM
MADRAS LINING...ah.....

Maybe we should start a "foundation" hunters association!!!

It HAS been a long time since I've shown anything but schooling shows with my low-end greenies I'm passing through...no more handy hunters? Conformation still??? And PRE-children's...I am still in shock. SIGH.

You know, if you close your eyes the fences aren't so big. (Hehehe- I'm just rambling and reminiscing a bit).
I thought hunters would stay the same forever.

Bumpkin
Mar. 25, 2001, 01:59 PM
I still have my lovely old Sandwich Case with the great little metal box in it.
I ordered the D rings on the side of my new saddle, because I can't imagine a saddle without them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

LaurieB
Mar. 25, 2001, 02:17 PM
Did you check and see if there's still a sandwich inside? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Way back in the Dark Ages when I was showing in appointments classes, it was not unheard of for kids to put a sandwich in the case before Upperville (our first appt. class of the year) and take it out after the Garden. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I also had a friend who got to a show sandwich-less and whose mother, after a frantic and futile search of the grounds, stuffed a folded hot dog and bun into the case. The judge, as I recall, was not amused. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

heelsdown
Mar. 25, 2001, 02:25 PM
I remember the thick foam pads, never showed with one but used them for schooling every day. I still have the velvet choker with stock pin attached, that I wore with my green coat ( replete with velvet collar). My outfit was completed by my Harry Halls and cordovan field boots. And I wore rust Harry Halls all the time, with my grey coat, it looked great, but black boots with rust!

What I remember best about showing in the 70s and early 80s were the outside courses. So much fun, liverpools, Irish bank jumps (almost broke my nose the first time I schooled on one of these!), coops galore. Best of all you could really get a good hand gallop going and the horse could use himself. Nowadays we have the horses stride counted to the fraction of the inch.... and we call them hunters.... what is up with that???

I remember when the safest helmet you could buy was a Caliente, which I had and wore religously, with my favorite colors and big pom pom. Of course I had a velvet hunt cap for showing...

I remember when a hunter or jumper rider would not be caught dead in a saddle with knee rolls, let alone blocks or anything but a flat saddle (really flat) like an Hermes or a Prix Des.

I remember when equitation was judged on the riders performance and you didn't have to have a horse costing six figures to compete on.

I really really really want another pair of cordovan field boots. And I confess that I wear a pair of my old Harry Hall rust breeches on a regular basis. They are now more than 20 years old and still going strong, wonder how many TS's will still be wearable 20 years from now? I doubt they'll hold up. Harry Halls can be washed at home too!!!

Maybe I'm retro but I have a beautiful, very flat, Whippy saddle that is so far superior to 90% of the new saddles out there in workmanship and leather alone. Of course now that I'm older one of those comfy, soft, French leather saddles is very tempting.

Oh well.

Michelle Mc
Mar. 26, 2001, 06:38 AM
great stuff! Fads!

remember when...
the grooms braided and there were no pro braiders?
plyood and screens?
tack rooms had tack in them?
the Team actually had horses!
Bamboo was commonplace.

Leslie was still a Burr?
Margie who?
Florida meant Jacksonville, Ocala, Palm Beach (the fairgounds too!), and Tampa (sorry I forgot the order).
David(s) at the ingate.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

lauriep
Mar. 26, 2001, 08:52 AM
Those are all from my era, as is another name for your list, similar to yours, Michelle McEvoy!

Lugging those screens and plywood around, not to mention the hinge/bars that the screens hung from, made a groom's life all the more interesting. We lived for the occasional show (Tampa) where we didn't need to take these things. But the kind of stalls they use now were JUST coming on the scene when I left.

Laurie

Michelle Mc
Mar. 26, 2001, 09:44 AM
I forgot the damned bars to hold the screens. AHH!
Remember the bucket brackets? (or screwing in all those eyes)

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Bumpkin
Mar. 26, 2001, 09:58 AM
Hoof picks!!!
I use to screw in all those eyes for the buckets and stall guards with a hoof pick.
Now those hoof picks must be antiques, because I curse everytime I go to screw in one of those eyes and realize those new plastic fat, brushed hoofpicks cannot do that!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
And I could use the hoofpick to open bales.
Oh the many uses of my faithful metal hoofpick with the red handle. sigh.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Willow
Mar. 26, 2001, 10:34 AM
RUST BREECHES!

brilyntrip
Mar. 26, 2001, 11:03 AM
they were de riguer (sp?) and actually I still like them in certain cases

hifi
Jun. 24, 2002, 10:37 AM
I had a coat with a moroon velvet collar and a matching velvet chocker!

Member and co-founder Thread Killers Anonymous. Self proclaimed fashion police.
Poindexter, may he rest in peace.
Moesha's #One Fan

Jun. 24, 2002, 11:33 AM
One of the other fashion threads reminded me of this. I had my rust jodphurs with brown paddock boots and those leather straps that wrap around below your knee (what are those called?). All the kids seem to have tall boots now.

Lonny'sMom
Jun. 24, 2002, 11:43 AM
Plaid jackets

Velvet ratcatcher (mine was black /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )

Outside Courses

Flat hard as a rock saddles /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I am soooo glad for the improvements of late! LOL

Ah yes, that was the time of foam pads, pommel pads, flat bridles and the circle numbers with the metal loopy thing that you hooked into your collar.

One of my trainers clients made all the school horses saddle pads that were blue with little flowers all over them. I thought those were pretty cool!

~Lara

http://hometown.aol.com/larajerry/myhomepage/profile.html

Midge
Jun. 24, 2002, 11:59 AM
I saw my first professional braider in 1980. This girl comes up to us at Waterloo and asks if we need our horses braided. I just could not wrap my mind around the idea. Looking at old pictures, I think I could have used some help!

I remember sewing, as well. Ugh! It was hard!

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Lily
Jun. 24, 2002, 12:12 PM
hifi, what is with you and bumping old threads today? Just curious... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

medalrider83
Jun. 24, 2002, 12:27 PM
ok im only 17, but anyways, i have an old stuben saddle with a super deep seat and huge knee rolls that i am going to keep til I have kids, but its being lent to a little girl right now because you pretty much can't move when u sit in it! Also, when a family friend was moving into their new house, they found a trunk w/ some horse stuff in it, and they gave me the helmet! Its light brown and the bow on the back has fallen off, you can bend it, it has no harness, a silky lining, and it says "Abercrombie & Fitch Co. Madison Avenue & Forty Fifth Street New York" on the inside very clearly! Cool huh? It looks great as a decoration on my trophy shelf! And sometimes I can't resist trying it on... hehe /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

~Liz~

~*Southern Belle*~
~*M&M Chantilly*~

Banana
Jun. 24, 2002, 02:19 PM
I've seen a couple hunters and eq horses in Palm Beach with the old pommel pads and wide cavesons. Maybe everything is cyclical!

JinxyFish313
Jun. 24, 2002, 04:26 PM
saw one pair of nasty rust (more like red actually) breeches @ the show this weekend..thank god it was only 1 pair.

http://radiofinderizer.net/cgi-bin/columbia.cgi?sf=1&s=yes&u=infamous3136&a=Nas

wtywmn4
Jun. 24, 2002, 04:32 PM
Lily, hifi is bored /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

luv2jump
Jun. 24, 2002, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pkd:
One of the other fashion threads reminded me of this. I had my rust jodphurs with brown paddock boots and those leather straps that wrap around below your knee (what are those called?). All the kids seem to have tall boots now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Leather staps are called garter straps!!!
I remember when I moved to Ohio in the late 70's, I was the "expert" on garter straps for all the kids - noone in the tack shops knew how to put them on !!!
How about the fine helmets with the ELASTIC strap to hold it on your head!
Or those riding BAT crops that had all the fringe on it!!!!
LUV2JUMP /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

just_me
Jun. 24, 2002, 05:34 PM
Never really like rolled bridles, but they were popular in the early 70s. I think they looked decent only on fine-boned TBs.

I still have a Passier flat bridle with a thick noseband that I got for about $35 from Miller's store in NYC. The salesman felt bad for me because I didn't have much money, and I needed a bridle for my new (and first) horse who had a big head. The salesman told me he had a large horse bridle in the window that he couldn't sell, so he'd let me have it cheap. I still think he was just being nice to a poor person who'd scraped together the money to buy her first horse. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

creseida
Jun. 24, 2002, 06:48 PM
Not only rolled bridles, but plaited leather reins were IT!!! (4 or 5 plaits depending upon width).

The old PDN-style saddles (The PDN Soveregin was The Saddle to have if you didn't have an H'ermes), velvet collars, garter straps on black tall boots, schooling in preppy dock-sider shoes with track bandages wrapped around our legs.

I still have my flat bridle in deep havana.

Yes, those lovely crochet pommel pads and the homemade "lollipop" bump pads that were 3" thick because the foam was so weak it compressed to nothing.

Triple Crown Blankets were *THE* blankets of the 70's and 80's, like Rambos are today. And Vogels cost a mere $225 in 1981. Dehners were $195. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

incentive
Jun. 24, 2002, 08:41 PM
Years and years ago, Charlsie Cantey, whose last name was Deering then, showed jumpers in a coat that was a hunt scene print, kind of like a piece of tapestry. This was long before she married a race horse trainer and started doing commentary for ABC or whichever network broadcasts the triple crown races. And yes, I had brown Dehner field boots to go with my beloved rust breeches. Sewing braids was much easier I thought. The mistakes could be concealed more easily!

Lil
Jun. 25, 2002, 06:15 AM
They were worn like bandanas are now - only further back on your head and the end was tucked under like a "snood". It went along with the gold hoops everyone wore in the later 70's. If you want to see an example, look on the back cover of Judy Richter's book from same era.

cgn38
Jun. 25, 2002, 06:46 AM
I remember in the '80's, everyone schooled in a CB jacket.

msj
Jun. 25, 2002, 08:19 AM
The only way I could get the braids to look good WAS to sew them in. I used to use carpet thread. I remember absolutely hating the colored yarn in a horses mane and occasionally some jerk got overzealous and actually put in pom poms! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Loved the coolness of the old salt sack coats. Miss the lovely madras coats and the colored hunt caps.

msj

You know you're a horse person when...you can find your boots by smell.

achcosuva
Jun. 25, 2002, 12:14 PM
What's an appointments class? (spell?)

Oooh! The semi-retired GP dressage horse my mom rides (isn't she lucky? he's such a sweetie!) has a rolled leather bridle. It's black, of course, but I really like it. Verry soft. I can't ever imagine walking into a show ring with one, though. Especially not a hunter one! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I didn't even know rolled bridles were ever popular in the hunters. This was the first I'd ever seen. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Can you tell I'm only 16? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

-Anne, the owner of a PrettyFilly and a WildArabianStallion-
"Change is inevitable...except from a vending machine."

Jun. 25, 2002, 01:11 PM
what was cuter than a little kid on a little white pony with pink or baby blue pom-poms? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You have to be smarter than the horse, and since that will never happen, pretend you are.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time."
Robin Williams /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

snaffle21
Jun. 25, 2002, 01:26 PM
Really flat saddles with no "extras". When I was showing (late 80s/early 90s) nobody had a saddle with knee rolls, knee patches, thigh blocks etc. You just had a flat saddle . . .now, you're hard pressed to find such a thing!

sss
Jun. 25, 2002, 01:36 PM
Omigosh, Creseida, I felt like such a loser because I didn't have a PDN Sovereign. I had forgotten all those feelings of unworthiness until I read your post!

And you didn't wear socks while schooling in the docksiders.

I remember when colored bell boots came out -- red, green or blue. It was to die for!

And Midge, are you talking about Waterloo in Grass Lake, Michigan? (yes, my humble beginnings are in Ohio/Michigan). I loved that show, because the shedrows were on a hill (hills didn't exist where I grew up); however, you had to be toward the top, facing the downhill part -- you didn't want to be on the receiving end of the rain rolling down the hill!

*Chanel*
Jun. 25, 2002, 01:47 PM
Looking through an older book, I noticed many, many very, very plaid jackets. Like the one attatched /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I also notice many riders' boots were lower than now-a-days boots, was that a fad, or perhaps just a mishap I noticed?

--------------------
Ashlyn
*Chanel*
~Sephora~

just_me
Jun. 25, 2002, 01:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I also notice many riders' boots were lower than now-a-days boots, was that a fad, or perhaps just a mishap I noticed? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The boots weren't worn as high as nowadays. They also weren't cut so much higher on the outside. Anybody remember when their boots had a strap at the top?

horseless
Jun. 25, 2002, 05:30 PM
i still have my europien crump prixdsalut...and still ride in it.
navy with grey pin strip coat,or drk grey with navy pinstripe coat.
leather soles on boots instead of what ever is on them now. and of course the boot rubbers to keep the leather soles in good condition.
2 or 3 dozen screw eyes for everything from buckets to stall guards.
grey, rust,tan, cananry britches
wearing several pairs of nylons to rid your self of the dreaded panty line.
Leather horse name snap braceltets.
just plain huntcaps with the ribbon top hanging down kinda like a rite of passage that you actually show more then once a year
remembering in 1982 when the helmet rule first came into the works and realizing that you becae an amature so it was optional
riding for ribbons and points with no prize money involved

dublin
Jun. 25, 2002, 05:53 PM
My mare Roulette, photo taken by Jimi Rabinski at the Oregon State Fair. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I still think it is nice looking - wish I had kept it as a collector's item!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~~~~~~~~
"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
Proud member of the Thoroughbred Clique

creseida
Jun. 25, 2002, 06:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by just_me:

The boots weren't worn as high as nowadays. They also weren't cut so much higher on the outside. Anybody remember when their boots had a strap at the top?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep... that was the garter strap I referred to earlier. The tops of the boots were cut nearly straight across and came up only to within an inch of your knee; the sides did not come up at all.

Oh, and the Ring Cavessons! They had a ring where the crown piece joined the noseband!
I also remember the lovely cordovan colour.... and back then full cheek bits with keepers were the bit, and in lieu of Pessoa bits, everyone seemed to ride in double twisted wire snaffles, whether or not their hands were educated enough to do so. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Pytchley and Harry Hall were The Name Brands.

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

J. Turner
Jun. 25, 2002, 06:44 PM
Well, here's a Crosby Sovereign on ebay. Looks to be in decent shape. 16.5 medium tree. I remember drooling over them in the Miller's catalog.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1838180112

"Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- Shakespeare

"Oh please don't go -- we'll eat you up, we love you so."
-- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
*** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
*** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***

Dragoon
Jun. 25, 2002, 06:58 PM
I had a flat saddle...flat everything. It's actually only 4 years old, and I loved it! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

- "Don't look at your horse....I'll tell you if you fall off."
- "The base of the jump is your friend and the way you ride you can never have enough friends."

malarkey
Jun. 25, 2002, 07:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PrettyFilly:
What's an appointments class? (spell?)
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Can you tell I'm only 16?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, I can tell and this is a really sad statement IMO. This is not meant as an affront to you PrettyFilly, but it just goes to show just how far away from the original foundation show hunters are today. Appointment classes are where you show in full formal hunt attire, top hat, shadbelly & vest, sandwich case, and the sandwich case better have the correct type of sandwich in it ;-) Are there *any* shows that still have these classes?

just_me
Jun. 25, 2002, 07:22 PM
And there were Corinthian classes. Weren't they like Appointment classes, but you had to be a member of a hunt?

msj
Jun. 26, 2002, 06:16 AM
msj is putting her finger down her throat to upchuck at pom poms - no matter how cute the child or the pony! Just a personal thing I guess.

PS. I still dislike yarn that doesn't blend with the color of the horses mane! BUT when I did a stint as a DQ I used to use white tape on the mane of a bay horse which is probably just as bad!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif But he had a really good head carriage.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

msj

You know you're a horse person when...you can find your boots by smell.

Linny
Jun. 26, 2002, 06:49 AM
That jacket is not only PLAID, it has a velevt collar. Simply beautimous.

Founder of the mighty Thoroughbred Clique!

Resident racing historian

Tobi
Jun. 26, 2002, 06:57 AM
when i look back at my pictures from the early '80s my breeches are SO tight. i was a skinny teenager, but wow did they look bad!! i think they were harry halls and were definitely 100% polyester. i was so happy when TS came along and you could actually have some looseness in the breeches!!!

i too had a caliente with the colored cover and pom-pom. it basically saved my life when i got bucked off in 8th grade. it cracked and i don't remember 5 hours, but thank god i had it on!!

i had the leather bracelet with my horse's name on it. i also had the belt with about 6 or 7 name plates of ponies i rode while growing up.

How about the huge square (or maybe rectangle) coolers that draped over the horse?

Karla
Jun. 26, 2002, 03:41 PM
I currently ride with a brown rolled bridle with plaited rains. And I love it. I thought it was cool when I was a teenager (in the 70's) and it took me this long to save up the money to buy one!

I do miss the checkers on the butts. Does anyone do this any more?

What I don't miss: children, back in the dark ages, there was no such thing as lycra. That's right' young ens. Your breeches were made out of the same fabric as your blue jeans, but they were not blue. You had to lie down on the bed to squeeze them over your butt. Forget stepping in the stirrup to mount!

Also - Does anyone else remember this, or have other people successfully forgotten it? In addition to stick tails/mud knot it was once fashionable to tie 3 big yarn pom pons down the back of the tail. Yes you did look like a clown, since the colors were often orange and lime green. Of course it matched the smaller yarn pompon things in the mane.

And yes, we had chokers of all fabrics, madras, calico, anything. no they didn't match our pads, becasue we didn't use pads to show. The official doctrine of the time was that you only used a pad to keep your saddle clean. If you had a properly fitting saddle (which of course they all were) you shouldn't need one.

what are polo wraps? Those things you wrapped around the cotton pads you wrapped around your horses legs to trailer them, since boots with velcro hadn't been invented yet? Velcro?

And lets not forget 4-horse straight load trailers.

But in those days they actually showed the equestrian events on the TV during the Olympics - Because Princess Anne was riding.

Anyone ride WESTERN? The tail of your Quarter horse was to be pulled to just above the hocks to better show off his rear end. And There was a category called "Stock Seat - eq, pleasure, etc"

And Pony club. It wasn't divided into different specialties as it is now. It was all eventing. The written tests were based on three books: The Ponyclub Manual of Horsemanship; "Rules for Rallies" and "Riding to Hounds in America" Yep, you had to have a sandwich, and it had to have the crusts cut off!

Karla

LaurieB
Jun. 26, 2002, 04:33 PM
You are indeed deprived (or young /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) if you haven't seen a colored picture of a plaid jacket.

Me, I used to show in one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif (see evidence below.)

Jun. 26, 2002, 05:40 PM
I dug out some ol' ones to scan.

You have to be smarter than the horse, and since that will never happen, pretend you are.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time."

Bertie
Jun. 26, 2002, 06:03 PM
LaurieB,
I did a double-take when I saw your pic. A friend had a Tamarack pony that looked very much like your guy! I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't her and him in the photo.

You look very stylish!

Jun. 26, 2002, 06:28 PM
EARLY 70's...

Jun. 26, 2002, 06:32 PM
they only gave you white strings for your numbers.

It was a status symbol to look like a roll of gauze if you were showing a zillion ponies! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyone know these showgrounds? I'm thinking Florida because the pony is clipped, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Jun. 26, 2002, 06:35 PM
wearing rust as well! I still wear those Harry Halls (minus the knee patches).

Jun. 26, 2002, 06:37 PM
Pictures from 1971-1983...

Kirsten
Jun. 26, 2002, 07:03 PM
I just started riding in my old Crosby Sovereign again, after about a 5-year hiatus! Big Mare outgrew the thing as soon as she started developing some muscle... she's definitely larger than the willowy TB I had the saddle for originally. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm riding a new horse in my old saddle now, and I'm loving it! Vive la flat saddle with no knee pads!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tobi
Jun. 27, 2002, 06:13 AM
great pics Silly Mommy!!!

soooo, who is the great pony rider??

17hTBmare
Jun. 27, 2002, 08:10 AM
I had a beautiful pair of Newmarket boots--you know, the ones w/ the linen uppers and deep brown feet---for cubbing. I think we wore them in the show ring too...

pinkhorse
Jun. 27, 2002, 10:40 AM
My favorite was loose ring snaffles with a HUGE ring - like, larger than the size of a bangle bracelet. When was that? Must have been mid-late '70's I think.

How about no saddle pad?

dublin
Jun. 27, 2002, 10:47 AM
pinkhorse, here was one I was using in 1969.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

gwen
Jun. 27, 2002, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dublin:
pinkhorse, here was one I was using in 1969.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love your release!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

**BARB***

House hunting on Long Island....we're looking at cardboard boxes..since that's all we can afford in a nice area....:)

baymare
Jun. 27, 2002, 11:17 AM
Marshall Field's Custom saddles. They were IT!

Still have my Dehner Newmarket Field Boots--too small in the foot after I had twins!

Still have my Passier rolled bridle--

My first pair of Dehner's cost $90.00!!!!!

My rust Harry Hall's went for years and years, eventually winding up as my "maternity breeches" in the mid-eighties. Let's hear it for four-way stretch (marks)!!

wondrlnd77
Jun. 27, 2002, 04:19 PM
but when I was showing in the mid 80's, many girls wore breeches with suspenders and a tie instead of a belt and a ratcatcher shirt. Had anyone else seen this?

just_me
Jun. 27, 2002, 04:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>but when I was showing in the mid 80's, many girls wore breeches with suspenders and a tie instead of a belt and a ratcatcher shirt. Had anyone else seen this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't remember the suspenders, but I do remember girl's wearing ties in the late 70s to mid 80s in FL. Actually, I have a photo of me showing in the late 70s wearing a tie.

Carol Ames
Jun. 27, 2002, 05:29 PM
Let's see if anyone can remember this far back????
Stuebban Sigfrieds with off set stiirrupirons for the leg that NEVERmoved.,no saddle pads for show or hunting, unless they were sheepskin.and , for hot weather, salt sack, white linen? jackets?Was it that long ago that eqclasses were called "horsemanship" And, in those clases the judge was allowed,expected to ask the riders questions about their horses?riders had instructors, not trainers, because students are taught.Yes, It was a long time ago. Back before women were allowed to compete in the three day event for the USET, and other such insults! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

SpartanVirtue
Jun. 28, 2002, 07:12 AM
Silly Mommy - great pics!! Is that Sue Ashe in the background??

Jun. 28, 2002, 03:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>! Is that Sue Ashe in the background?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look a little closer--who is beside he wearing rust as well!

"Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin" and "Keep away from children""

buryinghill1
Jun. 28, 2002, 03:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CAROL AMES:
no saddle pads for show or hunting, unless they were sheepskin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recall calling them numnahs? Am I numb-nuts?
/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

buryinghill1
Jun. 28, 2002, 03:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpartanVirtue:
Silly Mommy - great pics!! Is that Sue Ashe in the background??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that Carol Altman on the right???

PLEASE email that picture to Bill Fitch! ! ! bfitch76@aol

stephanie
Jun. 28, 2002, 03:36 PM
i can't believe you remembered the CB jackets! i had totally forgotten about how i BEGGED my mom for one in our barn colors....

stephanie
Jun. 28, 2002, 03:36 PM
what about those felt hind boots that were gray and folded over the top?

stephanie
Jun. 28, 2002, 03:42 PM
sorry... i keep remembering things...
before velcro, remember pinning all those wraps with bandage pins?

Jun. 28, 2002, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PLEASE email that picture to Bill Fitch! ! ! bfitch76@aol <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will do.

The young rider in the background is Molly. Strange things we did to our hair back then.

That cute chestnut was a $500 OTTB that doubled as my eq horse as well. Mom had 2 clients with Sm. Juniors, so we "made" the poor 15.3 3/4 boy a Large. He did all right, low ribbons at Harrisburg as a 5yr old in the Large Juniors and qualified me for all the big eqs while in Florida.

Funny thing, ES (from NJ) called me several years later inquiring about how I got the horse down the lines (he had him in his barn). The horse was one of those that you had to finesse not "make" to open his stride (if you demanded he move up, he'd get tense and shorten/get quick). Anyway, the first thing I said was, "why don't you get him measures as a small?"--Silence, and then ES replied: "You're kidding, right? He's 16.2!".
Ahhh, the good ol' days...

"Advice for the day: If you have a lot of tension and you get a headache, do what it says on the aspirin bottle: "Take two aspirin" and "Keep away from children""

everyequine
Jun. 30, 2002, 02:32 PM
It was THE thing to wear grey Harry Halls with the "v" shaped seam on the butt--Had to have 'em!! They were the slipperiest breeches--but I didn't figure that out until I stopped showing in them!!
I wouldn't mind seeing the linen jackets back again....they were before my time, but why wear wool in the summer??? the old rulebooks said "wash jackets in season" I guess that meant the lightweight ones? Or did it mean to wash your jacket once a season?!? That's a rule that shouldn't have to be written in a book!(BTW-that was an attempt at a joke)

to err is human, to whinny, Equine

Medievalist
Jul. 1, 2002, 04:54 AM
My old trainer still has her collection of coordinating velvet collared coats, ratcatchers and hats. I think she had a maroon velvet set, a hunter green velvet set, and a navy velvet set. She must have been so stylin'!

Parminch
Jul. 1, 2002, 05:11 AM
And the harness on those blue, green and maroon hats that we all had was a narrow peice of elastic! Yikes! And you were not cool if you had it under your chin.

Catalina
Jul. 1, 2002, 05:21 AM
And the plastic chin cup that some helmets came with, just begging to be cut off, very uncool /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif .

buryinghill1
Jul. 1, 2002, 05:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stephanie:
what about those felt hind boots that were gray and folded over the top?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yorkshire boots

I LOVE them