PDA

View Full Version : teeny proud mama moment

myalter1
May. 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
A while ago, i posted a thread on here about my OTTb getting behind the vertical. I received GREAT advice here and thank everyone who offered some.

Well horsey was mostly out of work from January to March due to saddle, stifle and back issues. Went back into work March 10th..

Here are two short videos of how well he is going now. (he is crabby in the canter video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iykQZXyhyQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vRebyLTzk

In December 2011, we were JUST introducing the canter. After coming back in March, it all is coming together..

Just had to brag about my baby :)

Gloria
May. 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ahhh beautiful. I just love that harmony between the horse and rider and the beautiful air exhumed from a happy athlete! Congratulation!!!

DreamBignRide
May. 11, 2012, 10:22 AM
Hes gorgeousss! love those long legs.very nice work, that's a great looking OTTB

myalter1
May. 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
thanks so much! He's 17h, but it's ALL leg. My dressage friends all say, 'You KNOW you have a dressage horse, right?' I think he may end up being my daughter's equitation horse some day.. he's no hunter lol

for comparison, this was him in December (it's a little long - you don't have to watch the whole thing!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7blGDCVvYBg

GallantGesture
May. 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
He's gorgeous! I love the long legs!!! (Of course, I have a 17 hand ottb myself, so I may be biased ;)) He's a very nice mover, you should definitely consider trying a little dressage with him! I bet he'd find it pretty natural. Good work getting him all fixed up, he looks great!

myalter1
May. 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
he he he.. thanks. I might have to invest in a dressage saddle too!

alto
May. 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Don't worry about the dressage saddle for a while (let him build the topline etc first) but do check the fit of your present saddle - video was a bit fuzzy but I'm wondering about saddle movement & pressure points especially as you canter.

He's looking lovely :)

myalter1
May. 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
that is the new saddle.. it actually fits much better than the LAST one.. i had a huge battle with Antares following an ill fitted CUSTOM saddle and ended up buying this used Devoucoux. It seems to fit ok. but will take your suggestion and see if i can get someone out to fit it.

What do you see which makes you suggest that?

alto
May. 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Nothing definative so don't feel this is a wow moment :lol:
just you mentioning that it was a cranky canter, so I was watching to see if the saddle was lifting at the cantle (but couldn't get a focused video moment) - if it does lift at the cantle, you'll end up with more pressure at the front of the saddle & this will be emphasized in the canter.
He's also likely changing in topline etc (maybe even bone changes - depending on his age from when the saddle was initially fit) so I like to check saddle fit every few months on these guys.

Easiest way to see is, remove the saddle pads, & watch/video WTC focusing camera on saddle movement.
Also look at shoulder fit (especially when there is canter resistance) to ensure that he's not running into the tree points (soft thump at the walk/trot is more a thunk at the canter).

eg, FP has been sticky in his canter departs, resistant in the leg yield (but some days are GREAT) - is it saddle or young horse or ??? - had saddle fitter out (more than once!), yes saddle is on the narrow side but after the adjustment it should be OK & nothing to panic over (new saddle is on order) - well Mr Sensitive is just that, tried 2 different demo saddles that should fit similarly, he was meh about the first (in fact prefers his own, narrower saddle :confused: ), loved the 2nd ...

LarkspurCO
May. 12, 2012, 01:17 AM
Beautiful horse. The guy in the suit wandering through the arena -- not something I see every day.

Superminion
May. 12, 2012, 08:20 AM
Wonderful! Congrats!!

lovey1121
May. 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
Really lovely horse, ma'am. I agree with your friend, he is whispering "dressage" to me.:)

myalter1
May. 14, 2012, 09:24 AM
larkspur.. that is my husband. he was walking over to my daughter on the white pony. Ha ha ha funny.

alto.. i should clarify. when i say the canter was cranky, it's b/c he thought he was done working. LOL

this horse's topline changes ALL the time. I had a custom Antares for him last year.. they made it to fit him 'when he fills in'.. well he got bigger than they thought and the saddle fit HORRIBLY. Really badly in his shoulder. He's got a HUGE shoulder and the top of his shoulder blade would sit under the saddle. Took him out of the Antares in January. Then he started kicking out in the canter depart - BADLY... like the kind of kick out that would make some people fall off. Then, he was kicking out every ride. Trot/canter. Was under the care of a chiro which was helping, but the adjustment only held for sometimes 1 week at best. Progressed to an odd LH lameness. Then had the vet out March 7th. Lame 2 on a 5 scale. Not so bad. Didn't kick out once. LOL vet thought could be partially behavioral, but given the horse's history (OTTB, rescued from feedlot) he thought we should try injecting stifles and hocks.. but start with stifles. Injected both stifles on March 7th. It was like I had a new horse. Then i had to get a new saddle. Was riding in an older devoucoux that one of the girl's had...fit him well. Ended up buying an older, used devoucoux with an integrated panel that fits his shoulder GREAT. 100 times better than the custom saddle ever did.

So, after that long story.. i think he was just crabby b/c he didn't want to work. I do want to get his topline stronger to encourage better use of his hind end and shoulder, but it will come.. .with time.

:)

mbm
May. 14, 2012, 11:13 AM
lovely horse and good progress. I would have his hind end checked out tho. he is short striding quite a bit with his left hind and has a bit of a hitch..... and if he is hurting that would explain the difficulties you are having.....

netg
May. 14, 2012, 12:58 PM
lovely horse and good progress. I would have his hind end checked out tho. he is short striding quite a bit with his left hind and has a bit of a hitch..... and if he is hurting that would explain the difficulties you are having.....

This.

NOMIOMI1
May. 14, 2012, 01:19 PM
He might get grouchy at canter with his little haunches in thing going on. Mine cant be too far in our out or that rear gets a little bouncy and offers hoppy steps.

What would help would be longer steps at trot but without sleed just tracking up to help those loooong legs.

Kudos he looks fantastic!

From one tb rider to another :)

myalter1
May. 15, 2012, 09:54 AM
mbm.. had a full lameness eval done when he was kicking out.. that's when we injected his stifles. And yes, i know he doesn't stride under on the LH and gets hitchy. I am sure, and the vet agreed, that he's probably a little arthritic, given his conformation, his time on the track etc. AND he has on old big bow on the LF and the vet feels that he DDFT is fusing (did i tell you i love my horse? LOL) Oddly, enough, he flexes sound behind. Crazy, but he does.

I have been working on some beginnings of lengthenings and shortenings, trying to encourage a little more movement behind. I have only just recently been able to really ride him forward into the bridle without him getting on his forehand and luggy, or getting behind the vertical. The stronger his back gets, the better I can get him step underneath with his hind end. It's a long process with this horse. I've had him since October 2010 and have taken is really slowly, as he was TERRIBLY unbalanced, TERRIBLY crooked etc. For the first year almost, he could not trot a complete circle to the right without falling in, stiffening and counter bending. It's been a project to say the least.

So orthopedically, he's not perfect. But he was a rescue from the feed lot and i love him, so i am working on it all. I think, if i remember correctly, that canter video was taken when it was rainy.. and he does get a little stiff when it rains (so do I! LOL)

netg- he gets chiro adjustments about every 3 -4 weeks and if his SI is out, he gets hitchy on the LH.

thanks Nomiomi1. I know you gave me some great advice on my last thread here. it's nice to see people checking back in. I really appreciate it.

mbm
May. 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
ok, glad to hear you know what it is etc.

since you have a a plan and it seems to be working, keep working it because there has been some really good progress. Just be careful not to ask him to carry too much as you might risk making him more chronically lame...

he is a lovely lovely boy and you should be proud of the work you have done.

myalter1
May. 15, 2012, 11:24 AM
mbm

re: chronically lame... that's my fear, so I tend to take it REALLY REALLY slowly, trying to properly build muscle so we have no issues. He is on NO supplements at all right now, although the vet felt a round of pentosan might do him good. Just haven't gotten to it yet. I think i MAY put him on some joint health supplements - i have my older pony on smart flex and it's made a difference in her. He's only just turned 8, but as you can see, he's well.. challenged. LOL I also think conformationally with his LONG legs, i have to work harder at all of this - ha ha ha ha but that's just my theory!

thank you for your kind words regarding his progress. He has come along so well over the last 2 months - he's very consistently the same horse from day to day.. on the rainy cold days, i tend to just hand walk, since I know he's a little creaky. Yesterday, while flatting past the window in the indoor, the neighbor decided it was a good idea to start shooting guns. Poor horse.. he was upset.. but worked through it and I was able to finish on a good note. I was awfully proud of him. He's a diva, and high maintenance, but i love him :)