PDA

View Full Version : Low-rise, full seat breeches that FIT please!

rlmatherly
May. 10, 2012, 04:54 PM
I am in need of breeches that actually FIT and are comfortable and just can't seem to find them on my own. I've spent the past few days going through the archives but haven't found what I'm looking for. I would Really like some affordable (~$100-$150) low rise full seat breeches for everyday use.

Here's what I have/tried:
Devon aire schooling tights - SOOO slippery my instructor forbid them
On Course Cotton Naturals (pull-ons) - The seat is pilled everywhere, they fit like a sack, and the ankle elastic still cuts of circulation after almost ten years and removing half of the little elastic strings, also very thick material makes my calves hurt in my tall boots :no:
TS Knee patch with side zip- Very high waist, knees are too tight and the velcro on my calves doesn't close. But they do fit well on my thighs and butt. Not impressed with the fit for the $$, but had to buy for IHSA
Kerrits Breathe Tight II - doesn't breathe under the seat areas, stiching is coming undone after on/off use for 18months and I have to fold up the length. Love the seat material though. I'd hoped for something that's a bit more durable, shorter and with more sizes (I'm between a XS and S and neither fits quite right!)
Kentucky (?) front zip - Actually like them but the high rise is a killer (up to my rib cage), they are white and it seems to be an expensive brand for daily use. I bought used for ~$25, but I save them for shows.
TuffRider Lowrise full seat - extremely baggy around the waist but tight in the hips (had to go up to 28 to accomadate thighs) and it bags down around my knees to where I cannot physically get on a horse without hiking the thigh material back up so I have enough seat. And yes I wear a belt but it doesn't help.
Royal Highness knee patch lowrise? in raspberry/sage- These were given to me and if I was a size smaller then they might fit almost perfect, but can't seem to find them in full seat and they do tend to slip down my thighs a bit. Not sure if that is a fit thing or that I've tried to use them a size too small.

I am petite with hips, small waist, larger thighs and I think a short-rise waist. Not sure if I wear 26 or 28, or if it just depends on the brand. I think its the brand though. I haved tried on Ariats but they were WAY too long to where I had breeches on my feet still. The same with most Kerrits and they were the only two they had at Horsetown.:( Boo, I know, but it is the closest tack shop with english stuff at just over an hour away. I have to do internet mostly but I do make trips to Atlanta but the last shopping trip I did to Dover was disappointing due to their limited in-store selection.

Not sure if jean brands have any coorelation to breeches but after roving high end stores I still end up back at american eagle because they just fit the best.

beckzert
May. 10, 2012, 05:07 PM
I worked in a tack shop for a long time, and I have a similar build. Some brands that seem to work:

Pikeur- I know they are expensive, but look for them on ebay or tack sales. Tend to fit a wide variety of body types and are top quality.
Irideon- I have a pair that aren't tights, and they have a nice, low rise. They also come in petites. Can't take quite the beating that a pair of Pikeurs can, however
Eurofit-I just got a pair of these, and I love them! Adorable, perfect rise and waistband, and very flattering to the hips/butt area, despite my fears of the pockets on the butt (I'm totally a fan after seeing how they look from the saddle!). Also can be expensive, but ebay and tack sales are good.
I also really like Golden Dress, but I think they lost their USA distributor.

Brands that may not work:

Kentucky: like you said, they are very comfortable and will fit nicely in the hips and thighs, but tend to have very high rises.
Cavallo: I have a pair that I actually really like, but I had to have them taken in at the waist. Tend to be better for tall, straight builds.
Kerrits: Like Cavallo, tend to work best for tall/straight builds.

A lot of people also used to love Goode Rider breeches, and they have some cuts that are very flattering. I've never owned or ridden in a pair, but they seemed to flatter a variety of body styles and were a great price point.

Melissa.Van Doren
May. 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
Grand Prix Lauren fullseats are $140, fit the shape you're describing quite nicely, are comfy, come in neat colors and have great style details.

They're not on the website, but The Farm House has them in stock in espresso. I have short legs and find them just right. :yes:

rlmatherly
May. 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
I am purusing this page given by another COTHer http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Pikeur_Ladies__Breeches.html
But I'm so lost! Not much on the descriptions and many options on the seat material that aren't well explained. But I do like the prices better... Do you have particular styles that you like in the Pikeur?
I'm looking up the other ones you mentioned for for tonights project.:D

beckzert
May. 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
I am purusing this page given by another COTHer http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Pikeur_Ladies__Breeches.html
But I'm so lost! Not much on the descriptions and many options on the seat material that aren't well explained. But I do like the prices better... Do you have particular styles that you like in the Pikeur?
I'm looking up the other ones you mentioned for for tonights project.:D

I tend to look for microfiber because it holds it's shape longer and washes nicely, and is nice and stretchy to fit my curvey rear. In general I look for a nice quality "leather" seat-not real leather because, IMO it's too much work to wash and I'm lazy. In general look for high quality stiching and a solid but strechy material.

My favorite Pikeur are the Lugana (you can get these in regular or low rise) and the Cindy, which is the low rise, wide waist band style. Both come in microfiber and have great quality stitching and "leather".

beckzert
May. 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
One of my favorite websites is www.calevo.com. They have great prices on European breeches (although it takes a little longer to get them that ordering in this country).

petit cheval brun
May. 10, 2012, 07:13 PM
Tack of the Day has full seat, low rise breeches for $89.
http://www.tackoftheday.com/
Offer is until Friday 12pm.

eponacelt
May. 10, 2012, 07:57 PM

This. All I ride in anymore is Goode Riders. Hands down the most flattering, comfortable and long wearing breeches I've ever purchased.

MaisieMae
May. 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
Try Pikeur Mondega. They are not low rise or high waisted, but fit at the natural waist. They will fit fuller hips/thighs because they are cut a bit fuller and the snap pockets accommodate fuller hips and thighs.

I am 5'4" tall, short waisted and have a shape, and Mondegas are my favorite. I also like Romfh's Denim Full seats. I have the brown ones and they fit well, and are a lot cheaper than the Pikeurs. I will say that I have one pair of Pikeurs that I just retired after 8 years.

rlmatherly
May. 10, 2012, 09:34 PM

Looks like it would have been amazing but so did everybody else... *lol*

Justmyluck
May. 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
If you want a less expensive type I LOVE my Ovations. Fits my tiny waist while accommodating my thighs.

rlmatherly
May. 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
Ok, have found that I'd like to get some Pikeurs from Calevo.com but just realized that I don't know if I wear a 26 or a 28! Help? My Kentucky are 28, my TS 26, the Royal Highness 26 (and too small!) and the TuffRiders 28 but fit awful so I don't know on that one. Get some sizes from SmartPak and return?

shall
May. 11, 2012, 05:04 AM
I'm the voice of dissent. I love my Kerrits Microcord bootcut breeches. I'm 5' 4" with a 50+ figure and feel comfortable in these. My femur is long and the rest of me, isn't.

They are pull on with a wide waistband. And they wash and wear like iron.

nuevaburro
May. 11, 2012, 07:38 AM
If you can go up to $180 for a custom pair that fits like a glove and feels like wearing your favorite sweater, I highly recommend equissentials. I have no experience with their low rise, since anything other than old-fashioned cuts tends to expose areas better left unseen on my person, but their customer service is excellent and custom sizing is no extra charge.
http://www.thetailoredhorse.com/page8.html
The deerskin is very grippy if you get the full seat.

Dramapony_misty
May. 11, 2012, 09:24 AM
The greatly under-appreciated and under-recognized...OVATION!

They have a bunch of different styles, including some that are more "at the hip" called the Celebrity (under $100): http://www.123tack.com/ovation-ladies-celebrity-euroweave-dx-full-seat-breeches.html

And the Ultra DX ones (~ $130) are really nice too my favorite fabric of the Ovaiton breeches): http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ovation-Ultra-DX-Full-Seat-Breeches-Ladies-P5019.aspx

I always suggest basing your size on your hip measurement. My experience is that the Ovation breeches are about 10" wider in the hips than the stated waist size. For example, I take a size 28 breech. My true waist is 29, and hips are 38. You can always have a tailor take in the waist a bit if the breeches fit your hips and thighs.

Good luck!!

Trevelyan96
May. 11, 2012, 11:53 AM
Sounds like you are similar in build to me. Petite, short waisted with some curves.

My absolute favorite breech for fit and comfort is Dover's Riding sport low rise side zip, but they are knee patch. The rise brings them to just below my waist. I wear a 28R. The length is just above my ankle bone. They're pretty tough as well, but the cotton can be heavy. Their low rise full seats also fit pretty well, but I had to go up a size in those in the black. For the price, they're a great breech for everyday schooling. I also tried their new Riding Sport jean breeches and am in love with those!

For show, I like the basic Tailored Sportsman low rise side zips. Fit is pretty similar to the above, but they're a lightweight woven cotton stretch and much cooler to wear in summer.

I seem to have much better luck finding knee patch breeches to fit than full seats. Pikeur's are cut way too slim for me in the thighs.

sorrelfilly721
May. 11, 2012, 06:32 PM
http://stickyseat.com/

LOVE these! I have a bunch of them and they come in lots of colors and weights (winter/summer). You can throw them in the washer and they fit like a glove.

SBrentnall
May. 12, 2012, 12:04 AM
Kentucky has a bunch of different models, some of which are low-rise. I like the Kentucky California, which is low (but not ultra-low) with cute pockets on the back. The waistband comes to about the same point as my Goode Riders.

Georgia_Love
May. 14, 2012, 01:10 AM
I second the possibility of irideons, as well as Trainer's Choice breeches. They aren't very common, but they come in multiple different styles with the intent to fit various body types by designing various styles under different names (ex: Jackie, Jenny, Giselle, etc). It's a challenge to figure out the right fit, especially since many of the styles have been discontinued, but if you find the right pair, they are worth it! I have three pairs, one of which has lasted me over five years of heavy use. By far my favorite pair of breeches out there.

vali
May. 14, 2012, 02:05 AM
Tropical riders are great and come in petite lengths and a low rise cut. Lots of different fabrics, as well as seat options, but I find the ultra suede is cooler in the summer.

Snugglerug
May. 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
Another vote for Goode Riders! Just bought my 3rd pair on the Tack of the Day sale. Thrilled to find them for that price! Kind of kicking myself for not buying 2 or 3 pairs.

Phyxius
May. 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
If you can go up to $180 for a custom pair that fits like a glove and feels like wearing your favorite sweater, I highly recommend equissentials. I have no experience with their low rise, since anything other than old-fashioned cuts tends to expose areas better left unseen on my person, but their customer service is excellent and custom sizing is no extra charge.
http://www.thetailoredhorse.com/page8.html
The deerskin is very grippy if you get the full seat.

Seconded! :yes:

rlmatherly
May. 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
Thank you everyone for all your help!!! I ended up with two pairs of Pikeur Cindys in size 24 from Calevo.com for the price of one pair from Dover. They fit like a glove when I tried them on and now I can't wait for mine to get here! AMAZING! My thanks to everyone!!!