PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Grown Up Horse Books

Finzean
May. 25, 2000, 12:20 AM
The children's book category was such a hit! But I'm wondering if there are others like me that are avid readers and constantly on the search for equine related novels. Many of you probably don't have time to even read the mail but I, fortunately, am on down time for the next few months.

I read all the Rita Mae Brown/Sneaky Pie Brown books and a few months ago read 'Outfoxed' and 'Riding Shotgun'. Both were very good. "Outfoxed" is especially entertaining if you hunt. A friend recently mentioned a book titled "A Portion for Foxes" or something along those lines - anyone read this?

To be shamefully honest, I've never read any of the D.Francis novels(didn't want to spell the first name and get edited - this is happening on other sites!!!). I read a couple of very short books set in Texas (I think) about a dressage rider - "Death by Dressage" and a couple of others by the same author (Horse of a Different Color?)

Incidentally, did anyone else read the Patricia Cornwell book, "Point of Origin"? Do you think her inspiration was Salamander Farm?

I'm out of summer reads for the moment and am always interested in new horse novels.

Finzean
May. 25, 2000, 12:20 AM
The children's book category was such a hit! But I'm wondering if there are others like me that are avid readers and constantly on the search for equine related novels. Many of you probably don't have time to even read the mail but I, fortunately, am on down time for the next few months.

I read all the Rita Mae Brown/Sneaky Pie Brown books and a few months ago read 'Outfoxed' and 'Riding Shotgun'. Both were very good. "Outfoxed" is especially entertaining if you hunt. A friend recently mentioned a book titled "A Portion for Foxes" or something along those lines - anyone read this?

To be shamefully honest, I've never read any of the D.Francis novels(didn't want to spell the first name and get edited - this is happening on other sites!!!). I read a couple of very short books set in Texas (I think) about a dressage rider - "Death by Dressage" and a couple of others by the same author (Horse of a Different Color?)

Incidentally, did anyone else read the Patricia Cornwell book, "Point of Origin"? Do you think her inspiration was Salamander Farm?

I'm out of summer reads for the moment and am always interested in new horse novels.

Sparky
May. 25, 2000, 12:25 AM
Finzean--If you read just one page of one d. Franacis novel--you will be hooked! There are probably 30 or so of them--all are worth the read, and some are just great! I am reading "Hugger Mugger" right now by another of my favorites, Robert B. Parker. It's about racehorses in the south, and a detective from Boston who knows nada about horses, and some of the questions he asks are pretty funny! Its a little slow tho, so I am reserving judgement on it till I'm finished!

spfarm
May. 25, 2000, 12:29 AM
Yep, I'm with you Sparky...D. Francis novels are the best! Pick one up and you don't want to put it down until your finished! Very in depth horse oriented.

Anne
May. 25, 2000, 12:54 AM
I think finzean is recalling the Jody Jaffe books - Horse of a Different Killer, Chestnut Mare Beware, and In Colt Blood. All 3 feature Nattie Gold and are set in the hunter circuit, primarily in the southeast. Jody rides herself (I believe with Peter Foley) and her stuff is dead on. Anyone who scans the Chronicle with half an eye will recognize who some of her fictional barbs are pointed at. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The Texas dressage series was written by Carolyn Banks.

Has anyone picked up Jane Smiley's latest, Horse Heaven? I don't care for her essays in PH at all, but I loved Horse Heaven. It's mostly centered around the track, but there are prominent hj bits too.

Finzean
May. 25, 2000, 01:16 AM
Anne-
it was carolyn banks i was thinking of but i'm glad you brought up the jody jaffe books. there is a character in one of her books that is based loosely on one of my good friend's mother! first and last name rhyme, I believe. I meant to pick up one of those from the good friend but forgot about it entirely until you mentioned it.Thanks!

N&B&T
May. 25, 2000, 07:00 AM
Reading Horse Heaven now--well, obviously, not this exact instant--and love it. Best and most interesting characters are the horses themselves (no surprise there).

Anyone who hasn't yet, should read ALL the Dick Francis novels...and WHEN will Jody Jaffe write another one? They are a lot of fun!

Kennett Square
May. 25, 2000, 08:58 AM
The book " A Portion for the Foxes" was set in Middleburg quite a few years ago. For those "old timers" reading it, you can tell who the characters were based upon by the "behaviors" being written about. I was just at the right age when it came out to know who it was scandalizing. In truth it's very tame compared to books of this day and age. I enjoyed it greatly but then again it was my backyard.

Kennett Square
May. 25, 2000, 09:00 AM
Jodie Jaffe used to ride with Peter Foley. I'm not sure who she rides with now but last I had heard it was either Tony Workman or Patty Foster.

AHC
May. 25, 2000, 09:03 AM
Another vote for Jane Smiley's Horse Heaven. One of her early novels, Barn Blind, is also about horses, but it's more serious.

D. Francis is also a personal favorit. In addition to reading them, if you spend time in the car, they are great on tape!

A friend bought me a novel for Xmas called In the Presence of Horses. Again, a pretty intense story, but I liked it. Can't remember the author at the moment.

Clarke County
May. 25, 2000, 09:05 AM
I agree - Jody Jaffe needs to get a book out ASAP! I told Peter Foley to tell her she needs to stop riding and get to work! Finzean, just curious - I've read "Point of Origin" - why do you think it's based on Salamander Farm?

ThirdCharm
May. 25, 2000, 10:45 AM
Some good grown-up horsey booksÂ… Anything by Francis, of courseÂ….

“True Betrayals”, I don’t remember the author and I just lent it to someone… it’s what I would classify as “romantic murder mystery” I guess, set in the world of horseracing. Young woman discovers long-lost (thought dead) mother owns huge racing stables, gets involved in horse ‘fixing’ and murder and such….

“The Lady” by Anne McCaffrey—contemporary “romance” novel but not one of those ridiculous torrid things, a lot of hunt and horse show ‘footage’, I thought it was pretty neat. But then I’m fascinated by anything Irish since that’s where my family is from!

I’ve read a couple of interesting Fantasy novels by a writer whose name I cannot remember, of course, but the books are called “The Heavenly Horse From the Outermost West” and “Piper at the Gates”. They are kind of Watership Downs for horse folks—the horses have their own society, pantheon of gods, demons, etc. and the books are about the Dark Horse and his minions quest to destroy the Appaloosa breed. The writer is pretty darn good!

I like the Banks and Jaffe books too—I thought Banks’ first book’s murder method was pretty nifty. Heh heh….

JenniferS

GrayHorseStudio
May. 25, 2000, 10:50 AM
"Some Horses" by Thomas McGuane! This is a collection of essays on horses he's known, and his prose is phenomenal. I've lent it to all my friends and they've all loved it.

Philly
May. 25, 2000, 11:12 AM
"True Betrayals" is written by Nora Roberts. Finzean - I also read "Point of Origin" - I'm just curious why you think its based on Salamander Farm.

Finzean
May. 25, 2000, 11:20 AM
Maybe this is a stab in the dark, but here goes. The farm that was burned down contained very nice, very expensive show horses (the book uses Morgans) and the owner of the farm was a black man very deeply involved in the entertainment industry. The detectives initially wondered if the fire wasn't set by some good old boy who didn't appreciate a rich, black man owning such a nice piece of Virginia (very much a southern state). So, I guess I should reword this and ask does anyone think maybe P. Cornwell used Slamander Farm as her inspiration for her farm owner. Not so much that the book itself is about Salamander Farm. I hope I'm right in thinking this is the farm owned by the BET exec....if I'm wrong, let me know, I'll be in my closet looking for the hair shirt! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Anne
May. 25, 2000, 11:26 AM
Finzean, you're right. And hopefully the Johnsons will be around in the industry for quite some time to come - should we be watching for the DC Air Grand Prix in the future? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (Bob Johnson will be the president of the mega-airline formed by the United and US Air merger.)

Janet
May. 25, 2000, 11:35 AM
Actually, if I understand the news report properly, DC Air (which will be run by Johnson) will be formed by the "overlap" that will have to be spun off before United and US Air can merge. Referred to as a "sweetheart deal".

I didn't hear anything about Johnson taking over the combined United/USAir. Though they did say that he is on the board for US Air.

Back on topic, I second "The Lady" by Ann McCaffrey. She also wrote a (much shorter) book centerd on the US show hunter/jumper circuit that was quite good- but I forget the title.

Trooper
May. 25, 2000, 12:07 PM
I have a copy of a GREAT out of print book i got through Amazon that was a compilation of some of the best horse stories I have ever read - everything from Edgar Allen Poe, to Kipling to Anna Sewwll - it was compiled and edited by Magaret Cabell Self.

And here's another vote for Smiley's Horse Heaven!

N&B&T
May. 25, 2000, 12:07 PM
Janet, please jog your memory /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Finzean
May. 25, 2000, 12:39 PM
headed for the library & book store.
I think i may have read something about "In the Presence of Horses" is it sort of a Horse Whisperer type book? I'll check it out when I'm shopping today....
Thanks for all the input /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Finzean
May. 25, 2000, 12:44 PM
still here Kat! it always take a minute or so for me to actually break away from the BB!
But i'm leaving soon....

May. 25, 2000, 01:40 PM
I really loved Horse Heaven and have given it as "thank you" gifts to trainers and to friends. Everyone loves it. I'm also working on my own book (targeted at pre-teens/early teens) on the horse show world, competition, horsemanship, and friendship--nothing syrupy, slice of life (I am, however, omitting the x-rated stuff...). Wish me luck (I'm fitting this into a 60 hour work week, and of course, life as PonyMom!

Janet
May. 25, 2000, 02:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:
Back on topic, I second "The Lady" by Ann McCaffrey. She also wrote a (much shorter) book centerd on the US show hunter/jumper circuit that was quite good- but I forget the title.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
to which Nancey Phillips Fisher said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Janet, please jog your memory <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went to Amazon and did a search. It is "Ring of Fear", published in 1971, and it is actually available in paperback. The review says it is about racing, but it isn't, it's about hunter/jumpers.

Actually, quite a lot of her books involve horses in one form or another.

Dee
May. 25, 2000, 02:21 PM
I am really at an all-time low point this week after having to put down my best good friend of the past 11 years, my Lab/Rott cross, Hoss-dog...so I was at the bookstore looking for something to ease the heartbreak. I picked up Angel Pawprints (dog memorials) and Spoken in Whispers, The Autobiography of a Horse Whisperer. Both are great--I thought the Horse Whisperer thing might be a knock off of Monty Roberts, but I can't put this book down. Great read--makes you think.

Finzean
May. 25, 2000, 02:45 PM
Dee-
I'm taking a moment for you and your friend. I lost the best one I ever had in February; unfortunately, very well acquainted with sadness this year. My thoughts are with you...

Dee
May. 25, 2000, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Finzean, my thoughts go to you, too. I'm trying my best to comfort my other two dogs who are just heartbroken--they're very depressed. That's part of the reason I haven't been at the barn--I'm staying close to them. If the rain holds off, I may get out to the barn and take a brain-wash ride. When I finish this book, I'll take it out there and leave it for you if I don't see you! Thanks, again...

rescuemom
May. 25, 2000, 03:03 PM
I've read In The Presence of Horses. Definitely not a horse whisperer kind of book. It is about a trainer at loose ends with life and career. I enjoyed reading it, but not the most cheerful horse book.

Considering the Horse is what you may be thinking of. It is a collection of horse training 'stories' about an old-timer NH trainer. The book, written by Mark Rashid, is not fiction although it is entertaining. (I'm a big fan of M. Rashid's training methods.)

And let me add my voice: "Hey, Jody Jaffe! I'm impatiently awaiting your next book."

[This message has been edited by rescuemom (edited 05-25-2000).]

Finzean
May. 25, 2000, 09:07 PM
Went to the library - hours have changed and it was closed. Went to the bookstore and rifled through shelves and shelves and shelves of books. Guess what? Not one Jody Jaffe book, not one McCaffrey book, not one copy of In the Presence of Horses!!! I was overwhelmed by the selection of D.Francis books (at least 15 different titles) and couldn't choose - Field of 13 is a collection, anyone know if it's good? Anyway, I ordered the 3 Jaffe books and ended up buying 2 non-horsey books. Wish I lived in a bigger town...

Weatherford
May. 25, 2000, 09:41 PM
Oh, Finzean, there is NO such thing as a bad Dick Francis - you can read them chronologically and see how he grows as a writer, or you can start with Field of 13 and work your way back. I love the ones where racing and horses are periferal (Hot Money, Straight, Decider) as much as where they are center (Banker, Risk, Dead Cert, and so on) I doubt there are any that I have not read at least twice. Be sure to have your tissues for Field of 13 - at least one of the stories is a sobber....

If you go back a few months on this BB, you will find another thread or two on books, with long monlogues by yours truly, former book dealer (with 25,000 or so still collecting dust)...Authors to check out are: (the late) Jane McIlvaine McClary - author of A Portion for Foxes and some others, all excellent, Edith Somerville & Martin Ross (The IRish RM), O'donoghue "Winner", William Murray (a bunch of racing novels), Ainslee Sheridan (Trophies - excellent read - can be found through AMazon's out of print service),Bill Shoemaker wrote a couple that are OK, then there is Show Gypsies - author slips my mind right now - rather trashy about showing in the 70's.

I will try to find the ealier thread and bring it forward.

N&B&T
May. 26, 2000, 08:14 AM
Dee, you have my deepest sympathy. Our beloved companions are, so unfairly, much shorter lived than we are. But, then, they don't have to miss _us_, which, given their generous, devoted and loyal natures, might be even more difficult for them than it is for us.

When you're ready, there's a great book called "My Dog Tulip", by ?? Ackerman, a very unusual and moving description of the joys and concerns of having a dog.

ThirdCharm
May. 26, 2000, 09:00 AM
My favorite D. Francis books (can't recall the titled, anyone help?) to recommend:

The one about the semi-estranged son whose wealthy father who decides to buy part of a racehorse... and someone seems to be trying to kill the dad and he asks the son to help protect him? And the dad has a couple of ex-wives and several kids who may be suspects?
And....

The one about the colt who is syndicated at stud and his foals start being born deformed? That was a good one.

JenniferS

That's HOT MONEY, JenniferS...W.

[This message has been edited by Weatherford (edited 05-27-2000).]

Marnye
May. 26, 2000, 10:09 AM
Did anyone ever read a torrid romance novel steeped in the European show jumping scene titled "Riders." ?? It was ala Danielle Steele romance novel, but some of my friends in "the know" swore many of the characters were very closely linked to active riders -- at that time. This was a good ten years ago, but it was an entertaining read. Howeve, some of the classics, like the Rudyard Kipling about the polo pony are great. Love Dick Francis too.

Storybook
May. 26, 2000, 12:31 PM
Marnye--the book you're thinking of is Jilly Cooper's Riders. Immensely fun and trashy. Cooper has also written some sequels to Riders, featuring Rupert Campbell-Black, the "bad guy" (don't worry--he actually turns out ok, sort of). They're called Rivals, Polo, Appassionata, The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous, and Score. I ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk.

Another British writer that I discovered from UK Amazon is Fiona Walker. She's written 2 books ala Jilly Cooper, but about eventing--"French Relations" and "Well Groomed". Again, trashy, fun "beach reads"--and the horsey elements are fairly accurate, I think.

Amazon.co.uk is great for books that are only published in England--a lot more "horsey" novels that in the US. Shipping's a bit expensive, but if the books are in stock, it has taken me less than a week to get my orders from the UK.

rescuemom
May. 26, 2000, 12:55 PM
finzean: You'll probably have to order In the Presence of Horses online if you can't find it at the library. It falls into that "artsy, only published in hardback and available in bookstores for about 15 mins." category. Dick Francis' Field of Thirteen is a good place to start and you'll get a real flavor for what his novels are like.

Dee
May. 26, 2000, 02:25 PM
Thanks, Nancey, for the kind words--you are so right. I believe my old pal might have been a Grey Friars's Bobby if I had gone on ahead of him. I'm ordering My Dog Tulip from Amazon today.
As far as the horse books go, I'm still recommending Spoken In Whispers--I'm almost finished with it. This girl can really write; she is so colorful in her descriptions that you really get a picture in your mind.
But if you're not in the mood to think a whole lot, there's no better "brain candy" than Riders! I heard it's on Video....

heelsdown
May. 26, 2000, 02:31 PM
I just finished reading "Riders" by Jilly Cooper (absolutely, sinfully, delicious trash!, couldn't put it down) and "Barn Blind" by Jane Smiley (ok but predictable). I got them for free. Yes, free. If you can get the title and the author your local library (probably won't have them on their shelves) can arrange for an interlibrary loan. All free! Usually takes a week or two then they call you up and the books are there. Love this thread and will use it for future library loan requests!

Anne FS
May. 26, 2000, 03:33 PM
finzean, if you're out of summer reads, try this one: Traveller, by Richard Adams (author of Watership Down). It is Traveller's account of his time with General Robert E. Lee. I found it very moving. This book prompted me to read the letters of General Lee and to also read Volume 4 of his biography, and I realized that the Traveller book is written by taking exact incidents from Lee's record and relating them through the horse, so the book is factual. One of the many touching things is that Traveller thinks that Lee has won the war--he believes that his master, who he has always known to be giving orders, has finally beaten the blue men and ordered them to go home. It's so touching how our horses believe in us.....

This was a really good book--one of those that not only was wonderful to read, but provided me with links to many other books that I am now thoroughly enjoying.

Anyone else read it?

[This message has been edited by Anne FS (edited 05-26-2000).]

poltroon
May. 26, 2000, 04:38 PM
"Considering The Horse" and "A Good Horse is Never A Bad Color" are nonfiction training books by Mark Rashid, but truly they're collections of short stories and are very entertaining. His third book has just come out - I have it on order from Amazon.

Anne McCaffrey also has a newer small book called "Horses For The King", a fictional account of Arabians being brought over to England and the development of farriery. Not as good as The Lady, but still a fine diversion.

Other favorite books/authors, both will generally be marked in the Young Adult or Juvenile section, but only because the subjects are teenagers:

K.M. Peyton is British and wrote wonderful books like "Fly By Night" and "The Team" and "Darkling".

Barbara Morgenroth has written two that I know of set in the American hunter/jumper world, "Ride a Proud Horse" and "Last Junior Year." I especially like them because they are accurate not only in details but also in some of the realities and politics -- like that talent isn't enough to become Great Famous Rider.

poltroon
May. 26, 2000, 04:48 PM
It's so frustrating to me how difficult it is to find adult horsey fiction. They categorize juvenile fiction books by subject, but not adult. The only way I stumble onto these books is by seeing a horse on the cover at the bookstore or library (which causes my husband great amusement -- "Oh, she'll read anything if it's got a horse on the cover").

Surely someone by now must have started an online bookstore of some sort devoted to horsey novels!

OldMare
May. 26, 2000, 05:00 PM
About the Jilly Cooper novel Riders. yes, it is based on British riders, and yes, some of them are still riding. Just look **really** carefully at the british team and you can start to figure out who is who. FYI, the character of Jake was loosely based on a rider from Europe who did run off with another team members wife.

The story is that the british equestrian community gave Cooper "cart blanche" at shows, to totally immerse herself in the equestrian experience. When the book came out, several riders, who the characters are based on, were so upset that they tried to stop further publication of the book. She was cut off from the show jumping community in the UK. There is a BBC mini-series based on the book which would be an absolute hoot to see. So, yes, the characters in the book are totally based on UK riders! My mother-in-law, who is Irish told me this. She thinks Eddie Macken is God!

BostonBanker
May. 26, 2000, 09:17 PM
Oh, man. Now I have to find time in the next few days to make a Barnes and Noble run. My vote for "Fun (but mindless) adult horse book" is "Fall", by Kai Maristad. I believe her son is/was an eq. rider, so the details are great. Loosely based on the horse killings. It was actually in stock at the bookstore when I went looking, so I imagine it would be easy to find.

N&B&T
May. 26, 2000, 09:26 PM
Yes, BostonBanker, "Fall" _was_ pretty good, and it hardly ever gets mentioned on these books threads.

LoriO
May. 27, 2000, 01:50 AM
Endless Summer by Elizabeth Lowell is very good, it centers around the equestrian events of the L.A. Olympics. You should be able to find it in any bookstore.

I echo everyone else..."Jody Jaffe, PLEASE write another book!!"

I just found an old out of print paperback book called The Corinthian Class, which deals with the hunters, I just started reading it so not sure if it's any good yet!!

There's also another book called Trail of Tears I believe by Elizabeth Goudge. Horses aren't the main focus of the story but they play an important part. It's also a fairly new novel so most book stores should have it.

Thumbs up for The Lady by Anne Mccaffrey. has anyone read her Dragonrider of Pern series?? Even though not horse related they really are wonderful

May. 27, 2000, 09:25 AM
I LOVED the Dragonriders of Pern- my best college buddy turned me on to those- GREAT reads.
I really enjoyed Riders too. Laughing at the characters I recognized!! Sam with Jody Jaffe's books. I picked right up on the trainer whose first & last names rhyme! One of my good friends tried Brenda Starr many moons ago. She IS as wonderful as the author claims. I liked the references to the trainer who is now in Camden, WAS in Davidson many moons ago. And I could picture the house in Camden where they visited with the maid. I rode on that property during my short but learning time in Camden at a farm just up the road. I think that THAT farm would have a BIG story in it itself- wayward son, dad needed to get him out of the country, drugs, theft, barn up north burning, drugs, cruelty, did I mention drugs? YES I am grinning while writing this- it could describe MANY places- no mean spirited barbs meant here!!

Finzean
May. 27, 2000, 09:56 AM
Cozmo -
You should keep these in the store! I could then send my sister to purchase and send to me! I'd much rather support a reputable, small business owner, which I know you to be, than to spend $$$ at amazon.
Incidentaly, I have to work hard not to call the rhyming name person her old rhyming name. I didn't meet her until somewhat recently - last year or two - but she is such a nice person.

Weatherford
May. 27, 2000, 09:59 AM
Ok, Poltroon, I am thinking about it...

Meanwhile, I do have a case of RIDERS (1st Am ed, which is a large PB)...And lots of others as well.

in the out of prints - Margaret Cabell Self wrote a wonderful novel before she was married, but I do not remember the title. Also, Amory Hare Hutchinson (which is an adult novel with illustrations by CW Anderson!) (Interlibrary Loan may be the only way to go with these two.) Of course, there are tons of wonderful foxhuting novels - try Mignon Eberhart's (brain dead - forgot it)and all the Gordon Grands (in reprint right now - tho not cheap), as well as more racing one - like the books by Jon L. Breen.

More as my brain becomes more fully engaged.

I know, no advertising /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Regalmeans
May. 27, 2000, 11:34 PM
Did anyone else notice that in Jody Jaffe's second book she thanked Erin Harty (our Erin, the moderator ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif!) in the Acknowledgements section? I just thought that was cool. I LOVE her books - especially Chestnut Mare Beware b/c I thought the part about George Morris was neat.

Sarah

GailD
May. 28, 2000, 12:26 AM
Just to add one more book--truly an adult book, but not a cheerful one is "Sweet William, a memoir of Old Horse" by John Hawkes (I think). If you buy this one buy a box of Kleenex! Best horse book I ever read.

N&B&T
May. 28, 2000, 09:58 AM
GailD--that's a very good, but also very unsentimental book! Changes the way you look at things, too, at least IMHO.

FlightCheck
May. 28, 2000, 12:16 PM
LoriO, I went to Amazon.com and could not find *Endless Summer* by Elizabeth Lowell; I did, however, find *Remember Summer* by her...blurb said teenage son killed in riding accident??? Is this the one?

stephanie
May. 28, 2000, 11:05 PM
a very disturbing, but interesting book, especially considering the sexual abuse thread that has been running, is "house rules" by heather lewis, i think. not for the fainthearted, but sure made me think.

on a lighter note, it's interesting to me to hear that anne mcaffrey has written some horse books... when i was a kid the only science fiction-y things i liked were her "dragon riders of pern." the thing i liked best was the human characters' relationships with their dragons... must have been based on her relationships with horses. it all makes sense now...

also, did anyone ever read a book called "talking of horses" by monica dickens? it was published in the seventies, and i read it over and over as a young teenager. some of the passages i can still practically recite by heart. i'm inspired to pick it off the shelf again tonight...

Baltic Sky
May. 29, 2000, 01:16 AM
Hey, if you want "FREE" library books online, try www.netlibrary.com! (http://www.netlibrary.com!) Just sign up and the list of online free books is huge!! I was shocked, and the classics are there, too. http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif

LoriO
May. 29, 2000, 02:09 AM
Flightcheck, sorry about that!!! That's what happens when you work the midnight shift, the brain just doesn't function right. The name of the book is Remember Summer not Endless Summer. At least I'm not the only one to make a mistake, I popped over to Amazon.com because the story line you gave didn't sound right, they have the wrong story description there!!! Although if you go furthur down the page they do have a story summary that is corret.

May. 29, 2000, 02:38 AM
Finzean- Hey! I am going through the book list as of tomorrow- well - later today- I was struck by insomnia. We have a really good book supplier that has as a small part of it, an equestrian department- only 200 single spaced pages- /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I am trying to build up our non- fiction & video selections, & this thread has given me a LOT of good ideas. We do have the Jaffe books & some Francis & Shoemaker. I will be looking the other titles up - so I will keep you posted! Thanks for the business & compliments!CC

May. 29, 2000, 02:43 AM
Finzean- I do the same thing with the rhyming name person- I have known her since I was a kid- before she had a rhyming name! She is a great person & I am glad to see her & her new husband happy now.

Jenn
May. 29, 2000, 05:35 PM
For all of you who like sci-fi or fantasy books, there is a great collection of short stories about horses called "Horse Fantastic". It has horse stories by Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, and more.

Finzean
Jun. 6, 2000, 10:22 AM
I just finished Horse Of A Different Killer - excellent read! And I'm starting on Chestnut Mare Beware. I'm surprised at how many people and horses I recognized. Still waiting for In Colt Blood to come in at the book store.
BTW, has anyone seen the previews for A&E's special this Sunday - In The Company of Horses.....airing at 8pm EST.
One of my friends just finished reading a book about an insurance fraud investigator who specialized in horse killings...she can't remember the name - anybody?
she swears it's not Hot Blood

[This message has been edited by finzean (edited 06-06-2000).]

Posting Trot
Jun. 6, 2000, 10:50 AM
I agree that Sweet William is a wonderful, if sad/bittersweet, book. I also liked Cormac MacCarthey's (spelling?) All the Pretty Horses. This is a coming-of-age novel about an adolescent boy in the west (somewhat like My Friend Flicka), but it's a grown-up book and well-written.

poltroon
Jun. 6, 2000, 04:12 PM
I had nearly forgotten ... Margaret Cabell Self's "Sky Rocket: The Story of a Little Bay Horse" is a fine read, nice and long, and unusually good. Also lovely illustrations by Sam Savitt.

N&B&T
Jun. 6, 2000, 09:12 PM
finzean, I *think* that's "Fall", by Kai Maristed, mentioned above.

ccoronios
Jun. 7, 2000, 04:49 PM
C.S. Lewis' The Horse and His Boy - part of his Narnia series - the chapter with the horse teaching the boy about tack and giving beginner lessons was priceless~!

Finzean
Jun. 7, 2000, 10:41 PM
Good call, ccoronios!!! I forgot all about that one - what a great collection of books.

This book isn't about horses in particular but a horse is an important catalyst in the story: "Here on Earth" by Alice Hoffman
This is a great book - read it last summer and it has made the rounds to so many people it is still being read!

Kennett Square
Jun. 9, 2000, 07:13 AM
Hi folks sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. I spoke to my source this weekdend at Upperville. He said the Jodie Jaffee is in the process of writing a new book but had not been told as to when to expect it completed or in bookstores. Be patient was all I was told it is coming.....

BostonBanker
Jun. 9, 2000, 11:50 AM
Had to post again and thank everybody! I just received several boxes from Amazon. Yes, I know, libraries are great, but I love owning my own books. So, I now have 8 new books for summer reading (plus the new Andrew Lloyd Webber CD /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Not available in the US yet, but, thanks to this thread, I found it on Amazon UK!). So, if anyone thinks of more books, keep posting!

Kryswyn
Jun. 29, 2000, 01:27 AM
Found this thread on page 6 (!). Regarding Jody Jaffe, I asked my favorite bookseller, Holly Beth, from the Book Chase in Middleberg about 'the next Jody Jaffe' last WIHS. It turns out Jody really identifies with Natty Gold, and when Jody & her husband (Natty's love interest Henry) split, Jody lost interest and inspiration in this series. Plus, she'd lost (or lost use of) "Brenda Starr" her wonderful mare. My advice to Jody, whom I've met a few times is, memorialize Brenda in every new book, and start dating girl! A divorce is no reason to lose a great character like Natty! I wish any of my characters would get off the page as clearly as Natty does. If she ends up taking the lead in your life, follow her! She's got good instincts, and will make you a stronger person. If anyone reading this trains w/ her, please pass it on!

Finzean
Jun. 29, 2000, 09:42 AM
I love the Book Chase in Middleburg! How sad for Jody Jaffe - I hope she can pull herself up by the boot straps and get to work! I'm reading "Horse Heaven" right now, and it's very good, but I'm craving another Natty Gold escapade into the dark side of the horseworld (as if we don't all see enough of it first hand!). So, ditto, if you're reading this Jody - please favor us with another read!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kryswyn
Jun. 29, 2000, 12:10 PM
Regarding an earlier post, the Mignon Eberhart novel is "Hunt with the Hounds" a murder mystery set in Middleburg. The color & details are right on (for the late 50's when it was written) but anyone expecting a strong heroine will be disappointed. A copy is available in a tack shop in VA that carries used horse books.

Cat lovers will also like "Ring of Fear" by MacCaffrey (mentioned above); one of the main characters is a Maine Coon Cat! I fell in love with the breed all due to the authors discription of that cat!

Sky Rocket by Self is set in the Essex Junior Cavalry which Self ran. Wonderful if you can find it.

Show Gypsies by Leigh Brown is HOT HOT HOT on eBay. I sold my copy, good w/ dust jacket torn privately for $125!! It's a good read, probably *way* too familiar for some of you! LOL

thecowboyway
Jun. 29, 2000, 02:07 PM
I have to thank you guys for "clueing" me in to Jody Jaffe's books!! They are great reads, its the first time I've been able to truly enjoy a book with anytype of horse theme without cringing!!! I too wish she's write again, maybe someday....

Coreene
Jun. 30, 2000, 12:35 PM
Bad girls - you've cost me a fortune! Now I've had to order almost all of these bloody books.

However ... with UK books (or with any for that matter) try bookfinder.com or bibliofind.com, too. Lots of times you can find them there for next to nothing.

baymare
Jun. 30, 2000, 04:47 PM
Here are some suggestions from an aging bibliophile. If you have never read Enid Bagnold's classic National Velvet, (don't laugh) it is well worth reading as an adult.
If you like D. Francis, try the novels of Mark Daniel. They are bleaker than Francis, but well-written, and are generally about Irish steeplechasing. The Bold Thing and Devil to Pay are two titles I can remember.Jockey John Francome wrote a few Francis-type spinoffs. They aren't brilliant, but will do for an emergency .

Josephine Tey's Brat Farrar is a classic both of British whodunnits and of horsey books.
If foxhunting and Irishness appeal to you, the stories of Somerville and Ross (Tales of an Irish R.M., Further Tales of an Irish R.M.) are priceless. If you are willing to wade through 600 or so pages of turgid Victorian prose in order to glean a great chapter or two on foxhunting, the novels of Anthony Trollope almost always come through.And many years before Horse Heaven (which I loved), Jane Smiley wrote a truly grim and strange book called Barn Blind. Hope this adds to someones list!

N&B&T
Jun. 30, 2000, 06:18 PM
Go ahead and read ALL of Josephine Tey's books, they're GREAT British mysteries, though not all are "horsey".

baymare, don't you think Daniels really belongs in the "emergency" category, too? LOL

Louise
Jun. 30, 2000, 09:09 PM
Oh, I had forgotten all about Tey's "Brat Farrar", a truely wonderful book. I'll have to dig it out and read it again.

Kim
Jun. 30, 2000, 09:56 PM
I am in the midst of reading my first Carolyn Banks book,
and am enjoying it thoroughly! I'll have to
check out one of the Jaffe books now.

Did anyone else read "Hot Blood"? It was actually a good book,
but the descriptions of the violence against horses really upset me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

On a more positive note, all of you bibliophiles should keep your eyes
open for an upcoming book called An Apple A Day. If you haven't heard of it yet,
it will be coming out this fall, and includes many great modern-day true horse
stories, including several by famous riders.

baymare
Jul. 1, 2000, 11:19 AM
Everyone in the midwest certainly read "Hot Blood". It is well researched and well written, and reads a lot like a Francis thriller. If only it really were fiction.
It should be required reading for anyone in the H/J world, just as a reminder of what really does lurk out there in our beloved sport.

Sparky
Jul. 1, 2000, 05:06 PM
Well, I see that my last post here was 5/25, and I just finished "Hugger Mugger" by Robert B Parker! thumbs down--big disappointment, especially the "horse" angle of the story. Skip this one! Going back to read Dick Francis again!!

Coreene
Jul. 5, 2000, 02:26 PM
I got the entire video of Riders last week. All 210 minutes of it. It's a bit kitsch, it's VERY pretty, the acting isn't too wonderful and the hairnets are from the 15th century, but oooooooh do they have some nice horses. Of course, they're only jumping about 4-4 1/2', but as "horsey" films go it wasn't too bad.

diane
Jul. 5, 2000, 02:53 PM
All the Jilly Cooper books make you start looking at the British team "a little differently" .... um, who is who. It was THE hot topic for quite a while over the pond as to who was what character. I've also read Traveller by Richard Adams (Watership Down), it is a very moving and entertaining tale about Rbt E. Lee from the viewpoint of his horse. The ending is especially touching!

Inverness
Jul. 5, 2000, 03:02 PM
Oooh Kryswyn, I have a Maine Coon Cat! He is my gentle giant - follows me around the house like a dog and has to curl up with me whether I'm reading a book or taking a nap. And they really do "chirp" and "trill" - nothing like a meow.

Coreene
Jul. 5, 2000, 04:46 PM
Read my new thread to Everyone who read Adult Horse Books thread. A good true story.

Black Cat
Jul. 5, 2000, 09:12 PM
Try these:

Trail of Secrets - Eileen Goudge

Cutter - Laura Crum

Riding for a Fall - Lillian Roberts

Also, Nora Roberts has a trilogy out right now that centers around horse racing.

GRDPRXBNY
Jul. 6, 2000, 05:07 PM
I also read RIDERS and loved it-where did you find the video-would love to see it!

GRDPRXBNY
Jul. 6, 2000, 05:11 PM
Favorite Books- K.M. Peyton wrote several that I loved Fly-by-Night- one of my favorites was Flambards (BBC produced the series of videos)-if you like foxhunting it's great. Hot Blood was a page turner-a must read for everyone in the HJ world. I bought 10 copies (Barnes/Noble had copies for $5.99) and gave them to HJ friends.

Coreene
Jul. 6, 2000, 05:12 PM
I got the Riders video from that web bookseller with the same name as a long river cutting across Brazil (how's that for not advertising?!). I think it was about $30 with shipping, but am too dimwitted to remember. It was SO worth it and is now making the rounds at the barn.

GRDPRXBNY
Jul. 6, 2000, 05:13 PM
I tried scoping out the River place but could not find it-how long ago? thanks

Weatherford
Jul. 6, 2000, 08:55 PM
The other Books threads:

(The best one!)http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000360.html http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000431.html http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000742.html http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000902.html

horsenut
Jul. 7, 2000, 05:05 PM
I also got mine from "the River place" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and I just got it within the last 6 months I'd guess. Make sure you're looking for it under the DVD & Video tab. I also got "The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous" from there -- although be forewarned that it's not remotely horsey like the book was.

jody jaffe
Aug. 6, 2000, 01:48 PM
Thank you for your very kind and encouraging comments about my books. Horses and words -- my two favorite things in the world. I loved writing them. Yup, that's past tense.
I have about 100 pages of the fourth book, "Sins of the Sire," (set at Devon.) But I opted out of my contract. There was just too much tumult in life at the time to finish it on deadline.
Things have settled down for me, but the publishing industry has the attention span of strawberries. Which is to say it's virtually impossible to restart a series you've stoppped, according to the editors.
But I haven't stopped writing (and I'll never stop riding). I'm working on a thriller called "You Gotta Have Heart." No horses though.
Again thanks,
Jody Jaffe
PS -- I have just started riding Brenda Starr's son, Royal T (named after John Royal Branscome and T for tommy, brenda's barn name). Not only does he look just like her, but he's got her wonderful mind. So there is a God.

Duffy
Aug. 6, 2000, 01:53 PM
Wecome aboard, Jody! It was great hearing from you in person, even though it was NOT good news to those of us that have been waiting with baited breath for your next horsey book!!! Alas, what do Editors know?!?!?!

I'm also sorry you've been going through some rough times. Hopefully things are looking up now. I know, for me at least, there are, and will continute to be, milestones or such that keep "tripping me up" and setting me back a bit, but I also feel that I'm finally headed in a positive direction overall. Good Luck to you!

Aug. 6, 2000, 02:01 PM
AWWWW MAN!!! Oh well- we really have enjoyed your books, Jody.
I saw this thread had been re-opened & since horsey market is next week, and I will spend 3 days in purgatoy, which will include a long stop by the book distibutors, I was hoping for some ideas of what people might like to see on the bookshelves & video racks of their tack shop. Thanks in advance!
CC

Lily
Aug. 6, 2000, 04:52 PM
Jody- I agree with Duffy, it was great hearing from you on the boards! I can't wait to read your next book, and hopefully someday we'll be reading about Royal T as well! Good luck with everything. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Finzean
Aug. 6, 2000, 05:22 PM
Glad to hear things are settling down for you Jody! Ditto CozmoJumps and Duffy... My Jaffe books are now tattered from making the rounds; I look forward to the next book , horsey or not! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kryswyn
Aug. 6, 2000, 09:47 PM
Jody, I'm glad you found us! I told you you were loved & missed. But don't throw out those pages of "Sins of the Sire". Look what happened to the "Richard Bachman" books once Stephen King made it big! Hope to see you on the boards again soon. We're a lot of fun, and I'm sure you can pick up some great 'colorful' details for your next book, even if it isn't about horses.

Finzean
Aug. 6, 2000, 09:54 PM
LOL Kryswyn!! I sure hope Jody's around to read the next installment of The Moesha Chronicles!!!! It's some of the most entertaining stuff I've read in years! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kryswyn
Aug. 6, 2000, 10:05 PM
Finzean, whaddaya think about this: We start a horse story thread, and then everyone adds to it. Ideally, it would be funny, yet readable by teenagers, NO smut. Moesha might have to dial back a bit. Think it could work?

Finzean
Aug. 6, 2000, 10:12 PM
Okay, Kryswyn, I'm all for it!!! Are you going to be in charge of it?? I can't even be in charge of myself these days (preg. amnesia & all) And who can we trust to censor the over zealous so Erin doesn't give us demerits?? Maybe the story could open with several of the female characters poolside at a private farm in a small southern town full of the horsey set....

FifteenOne
Aug. 6, 2000, 10:56 PM
Dee - A bit off topic but if you haven't come across it before, Cynthia Rylant has written & illustrated a wonderful book entitled "Dog Heaven". Although it is a children's book (at least that's where Barnes & Nobles keeps it), it made this adult feel much, much better about where my old friends are now. I have been in your shoes before & will be there again in the not too distant future - this book made me cry but it let me smile through my tears. My condolences on your loss.

Back on topic, I am one of the few people who didn't like Horse Heaven, but I do cast another vote for Jody to finish her manuscript. Perhaps she could follow Steven King's lead & post chapters on line - I would ante up!

And Trooper, what is the title of the Margaret Cabel Self edited anthology? Perhaps another copy is lurking out there somewhere that I could track down! Thanks.

Coreene
Aug. 7, 2000, 08:21 PM
This thread (and its predecessor) have now cost me over three hundred dollars.

However ... if you read "French Relations," which I did on the recommendation of someone in the thread, you'll love "Well Groomed," the sequel. All about 3-day in England. Quite hysterical.

wileycoyote
Aug. 9, 2000, 12:23 AM
It was great to hear from Jody Jaffe on her future plans. I know all of us who enjoy her books and share them with our students and friends will be more than happy to buy her new book, whether it be horsey or not. I can't wait to read about the adventures and misadventures of Brenda Starr's son! I am sure with Brenda for his mother, (by the way who is his father?)there will be many great times to remember. Thanks Jody for sharing with us!

N&B&T
Aug. 12, 2000, 11:41 AM
Jody, would you like your current/another publisher inundated with emails from all of us who have enjoyed your books (and want to know what happens next!)? Say it ain't so!

Regalmeans
Aug. 12, 2000, 02:41 PM
Jody- great to have you join us- I loved your books! I really hope you stillfind a way to publish Sins of the Sire b/c I really wanna know what happens to Nattie and Brenda and all......but I'll definately look for your new book as well.

And thats great and Brenda's son! How old is he? And how is Brenda doing?

Sarah

Clarke County
Aug. 12, 2000, 02:47 PM
I had never read Show Gypsies until seeing it on this thread - no one could seem to find it for me until the local library finally ordered it from out of the area! I howled throughout the whole book - it's so out of date with today's show world it read more like a comedy - but still entertaining reading.

Squirt
Aug. 13, 2000, 05:47 PM
Hey guys- if you look in Jody's third book, "In Colt Blood" you'll see an in loving memory to Brenda Starr. She went to wait at the rainbow bridge in 1997. (for those of you who have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, go to the thread concerning with how to deal with an aging or dying horse)

DarkRiver
Aug. 14, 2000, 02:51 AM
John Francombe/James MacGregor also writes horsey books in the style of DF. Good reading! They are out of print according to amazon.com but if you check out the used book stores you might find a few. Tiles are Riding High, Stud Poker, Blood Stock and a few others.

A Splash of Color
Sep. 27, 2002, 03:23 PM
Bump

Rosalie
Sep. 27, 2002, 03:31 PM
The best book out recently hands down is Seabiscuit by Laura Hildenbrand! it was soooo engrossing

+Saratoga+
*Grey Sport Coat*