PDA

View Full Version : Approved Helmets for ADULTS in the show ring?

EqChick
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:15 PM
I know there have been a lot of helmet posts of late, and I hate to be redundant, but I am wondering... some of you know I am re-entering the horse world (well, the RIDING one /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) after a slight hiatus. I know Juniors are required to wear approved helmets, but being VERY old school (yes, I even still have a navy hunt coat /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif), I just can't STAND the look of me with one of those huge Charles Owens at the tack store. Ugh!

However, I do think approved is a good idea. I am planning to get one for home, but wonder if I should plan to wear it at shows or keep my For Apparel Only (we'll call it my Loved FAO) helmet - it's purple!!- for shows.

What are adults wearing? I still see mostly the FAO's, but as the juniors graduate into Adults, will they keep their expensive GPA's?

I did try the unapproved Charles Owen which looks a lot like the custom unapproved's (right-side up bow, kinda tall). It looked okay, but is kind of expensive, so I'm wondering if it's worth the money.

Basically, I'm FINALLY used to seeing the big guys on the juniors, is it time for me to take the plunge at shows? Or can I keep my nice, low profile FAO?

/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So tell me again how the 40 Hour Standard was created? I think my boss was busy...

EqChick
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:15 PM
I know there have been a lot of helmet posts of late, and I hate to be redundant, but I am wondering... some of you know I am re-entering the horse world (well, the RIDING one /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) after a slight hiatus. I know Juniors are required to wear approved helmets, but being VERY old school (yes, I even still have a navy hunt coat /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif), I just can't STAND the look of me with one of those huge Charles Owens at the tack store. Ugh!

However, I do think approved is a good idea. I am planning to get one for home, but wonder if I should plan to wear it at shows or keep my For Apparel Only (we'll call it my Loved FAO) helmet - it's purple!!- for shows.

What are adults wearing? I still see mostly the FAO's, but as the juniors graduate into Adults, will they keep their expensive GPA's?

I did try the unapproved Charles Owen which looks a lot like the custom unapproved's (right-side up bow, kinda tall). It looked okay, but is kind of expensive, so I'm wondering if it's worth the money.

Basically, I'm FINALLY used to seeing the big guys on the juniors, is it time for me to take the plunge at shows? Or can I keep my nice, low profile FAO?

So tell me again how the 40 Hour Standard was created? I think my boss was busy...

GeddiupGirl
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:18 PM
I finally bought a GPA for at home, but I'm planning on using my Regal Crowne for shows...I can't help myself! I know it's kind of silly, because accidents can happen at any time!

Just My Size
Wintarra Ring
Tazz
Calvin
Macallan

EqChick
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:31 PM
Exactly, I just don't know if I can bring myself to wear approved at a show - for someone who's been in equitation forever, it just doesn't look right.
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Xanthoria
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EqChick:
I am planning to get one for home, but wonder if I should plan to wear it at shows or keep my For Apparel Only (we'll call it my Loved FAO) helmet - it's purple!!- for shows.

...Charles Owen which looks a lot like the custom unapproved's (right-side up bow, kinda tall). It looked okay, but is kind of expensive, so I'm wondering if it's worth the money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Wear the approved to show - set a good example, save your family and friends the potential agony of seeing you damaged, and save everyone else the rising insurance fees.

Is it worth the $? I don't know - is your brain worth saving? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Screw fashion - I love being alive. Set a new trend!

Janet
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:40 PM
To paraphrase:
"If you think your appearance is worth more than your brain- it probably is."

HN73
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:44 PM
I school and show in an approved, I am an adult (by USAEq standards /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

"Its not the years, its the mileage." -Indiana Jones

reefy!
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:49 PM
I'm of the school 'every ride, every time'.

My brain, while not the brightest in the world, is definitely worth protecting and yes, I am an adult.

Let's face it, if we really cared about looks would we let humans see us in our lovely riding pants???

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is nothing so grand as to fly on the back of a horse!

EqChick
Oct. 21, 2002, 01:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:
To paraphrase:
"If you think your appearance is worth more than your brain- it probably is."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - that is the BEST!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif You are SO right - that's got to be one of the more convincing arguments I've heard of late.

So you guys are saying that you DO see approved's in Adult classes at A's?

If so, I'm thinking that an obviously approved one would look better than one of the huge velvet things. Like I'm not trying to look old school, I've obviously made a decision to go safe. (Like that Janet? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) Seriously, which ones do you guys like the most?

I saw the other threads on GPA's - seems like they're expensive from the posts - anyone have a ballpark? Also, I did like the unapproved CO - it's still big and cushy - is that close or does it just look approved, but miss all the important stuff? Any other specific brand recommendations? Seriously - what do you see most in the ring?

(In other words, I don't mind spending money on a good helmet, I just don't want to waste it /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif.)

Thanks!

EqChick
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:02 PM
Okay, I don't mean to keep my thread at the top of the page with all my little comments - LOL. But, HOLY COW! I just saw the GPA in Beval and it's $300! I can see a lot of you think it's worth it, but are there cheaper alternatives? I'm paying my own way these days!

Scarlet 1
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:06 PM
I show in an approved, and wear it at A horse shows, in Florida and State Medal Finals. I try never to look in a mirror and every time I do I start rethinking my commitment to my ugly approved. I started wearing an approved for schooling after I broke a bone in a freak cantering accident. Accidents CAN happen at any time. I started showing in an approved in January in Florida. I have noticed a significant change in the number of adults that are wearing approved. The number is increasing on a regular basis.

shmon
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:20 PM
Try the International ATH - it's similar to the GPA, but in the $100 range.

dab
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:37 PM
If you prefer a more traditional look, try the Internationale Royale -- about $120 -- Harness is similar to Charles Owens --

Elghund2
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:44 PM
I found one of the Troxels fit me well and was comfortable, so that is what I bought for hunting.

"I'd be more tactful, if I were wrong."

Chanda
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:47 PM
I think I am more likely to fall of at a horseshow so I will be wearing my approved both at home and at shows. I have the CO Hampton and I love it.

Bowed tendon: Time to go back to work. Slowly!

CBoylen
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EqChick:
So you guys are saying that you DO see approved's in Adult classes at A's?

If so, I'm thinking that an obviously approved one would look better than one of the huge velvet things.
Seriously - what do you see most in the ring?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm going to get flamed for this, but you want an honest representation.
You see SOME. Frankly, in the A/O they look a little out of place. In the A/A they are a little more common, but certainly not the norm. If you're going to go with an approved, please get the GPA unless you have serious fit problems with it. The velvet approved practically scream "I don't belong here" at the bigger shows (at least in FL and the north, I've noticed they're more acceptable in the south). A lot of people that show jumpers as well as hunters switch hats between classes. I'm perfectly happy with my unapproved charles owen, and that and the patey are what you see most, worn with a leather two loop harness.

HN73
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:59 PM
C.Boylen,

While what you say is true, I find it to be sad.

"Its not the years, its the mileage." -Indiana Jones

Coreene
Oct. 21, 2002, 02:59 PM
...since the judge doesn't give a $@$% about what your helmet looks like, and wear the approved helmet that fits your head the best, since at the end of the day the whole point is safety.

Dunno what A shows y'all are going to but in California approved helmets come in the velvet version as well, AND people wear them without others worrying about what they look like or pointing fingers.

rockstarr
Oct. 21, 2002, 03:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The velvet approved practically scream "I don't belong here" at the bigger shows ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's such a bunch of crap. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Coreene
Oct. 21, 2002, 03:02 PM
I like your version better. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

RAyers
Oct. 21, 2002, 03:16 PM
I do not see how or why ANYBODY should be concerned about a judge's reaction to the appearance of a helmet. It specifically states in the rules that a rider can not be penalized for wearing an approved safety helmet in ANY competition. I event at the FEI level and wear my approved helmet even in dressage (ala Nina Fout at the Olympics). Who cares what other people think.

I believe that people judging other riders because of their headwear is an arrogant and ignorant perspective. It IS sad that people put vanity above their brains, then again they will be the ones with the greater likelihood of head injuries.

Reed

Madison
Oct. 21, 2002, 03:17 PM
EqChick - If you are just talking about the Atlanta-area shows, I think you will see a mix of the GPA's and velvet approved and velvet unapproved on the adults. I've certainly seen a variety in the last 2 years - starting to see more GPA's and Int'l A.T.H.'s make an appearance. Also seeing more adults switched to the approved helmets for showing, particularly now that companies are making lower-profile versions. So, I say get what fits you best and what you like. I've shown in an unapproved the last 2 years, but school in an approved, and will be switching to an approved for showing too since I'll be jumping with my green bean next year, and just did the flat classes with her this year while my trainer was teaching her to jump. Still haven't decided if I like the look of the GPA/ATH though . . .

DreamBigEq37
Oct. 21, 2002, 03:19 PM
In the adult classes, a lot of the GPA's I have seen have been the velvet ones.

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
&lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
&lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3

Coreene
Oct. 21, 2002, 03:23 PM
But you damn well better believe I'll be wearing my approved helmet when I do it, just like I do when I take polo lessons. Oh, and in a Troxel, because it's what fits my head the best.

EqChick
Oct. 21, 2002, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the input, guys. I think what I need to do is go BACK to the tack store and keep trying on. I've actually had quite a few falls in my day (in the helmet I still have /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif) and KNOW that I need a new one. I didn't try on the GPA last time so I will make sure to check it out.

C. Boylen, thank you for your honest post, and please no one rip it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif That was honest input, and C. Boylen was NOT telling me to go buy an unapproved helmet, they were just answering my question. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Now, all of you know that becuase one person said what they did, I'm not going to go out and buy some cheap FAO helmet 'cause they said I could. That's why I posted this thread so I could weigh my priorities.

I really do appreciate all your information. Please keep filling me in, too. Feel free to post pictures of you in YOUR approved helmet to show my just how good it looks (or how happy YOU look knowing you're safe /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif).

(Of course, maybe that's cause I like flipping through pictures at work- LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

EqChick
Oct. 21, 2002, 03:45 PM
GreyMareMom,

Thanks for the ATL input - that's what counts most for me. Not going to WEF any time soon - at least to ride. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Tin
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:05 PM
well I don't really know how influential this will be because I don't show on the A's (if Stink butt behaves himself, I will next season though /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif).

I ride in an approved International somethin-er-rather and yes it's bigger but I don't care. I ride a WB dude with an attitude and I'd rather have a little something protective around my noggin for those "Kodak" moments /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~

Tin
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:08 PM
hmmm I look like a boy in that pic.... I guessed I should have posted a different one /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

mwalshe
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
just like I do when I take polo lessons. Oh, and in a Troxel, because it's what fits my head the best.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hell with the Troxel, get something with a face guard.

If I ever get back into it I'm going to bite the bullet and look like a dork, a dork with all my teeth... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Check out this one: its Elegant and Dashing! (http://www.horsemall.com/polohelmet.html)

Hopeful Hunter
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:20 PM
well, personally I'd rather have my apparel scream "I don't belong here" when it's a hospital emergency room we're talking about.

If you're smart enough to wear an approved helmet at home, I'm not sure why you suddenly aren't smart enough to wear one at a show. If you feel that an approved helmet (meaning one that is designed, tested and proven to help reduce and maybe even eliminate brain injury in a fall or accident - and not necessarily one onto your head or from jumping or even speed) is a good idea some of the time, why not all of it?

As to what to wear, I'm going to break the mold and say "what fits best." Period. If that's a velvet Troxel or International or Charles Owen or one of the GPAs, wear it. IF you feel that you are going to be so much of a competitor that a fashion item can keep your placings down, AND the fit is equal, go with the approved helmet your area prefers.

But then again, I am a woman who not only shows in the CO SJ2000 in black velvet (the HORROR!!!!) AND a navy with subtle stripe Equine Athletics coat......I don't wear TS britches either. Odd -- that's because THEY don't fit properly either.
So I go with what fits me best -- body and budget. That goes for my horse, my clothes and my competition level, so take it for what it's worth.

Bumpkin
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rockstarr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The velvet approved practically scream "I don't belong here" at the bigger shows ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's such a bunch of crap. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is the Bumpkinette on Elliot in a VELVET GPA!!!
She looks quite in place I think and guess what SAFE!!!

Velvet GPA (http://members.aol.com/cotswoldjrt/mal-el.jpg)

Coreene
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:42 PM
That's one of the reasons I don't ski now - because I can't wear an Approved Ski Helmet.

Coreene
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:48 PM
We're talking zaftig here. So doing my Dignified Snowplow down the beginner slopes, sporting a helmet, would put everyone else off skiing for life. Besides, after taking a header off my horse, I would no longer feel comfortable skiing.

Bumpkin
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coreene:
That's one of the reasons I don't ski now - because I can't wear an Approved Ski Helmet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe GPA will come out with a "Faceguard" model in 2005 /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DreamBigEq37
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:56 PM
Here's a velvet GPA, I don't have any good pictures of it! Oh well, this shows the side view and it doesn't have that big of a profile. (ignore the horse and rider, this is quite the ugly shot... just look at the helmet)

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
&lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
&lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3

jetsmom
I ride in a CO Showjumper, approved to show at "A" shows. I might look like I don't belong there at times but it is usually when my 4 yr old TB greenie thinks that the fastest time wins...we do hunters, by the way! I don't think I have ever been penalized for my helmet. As an adult, I thought long and hard about if I wanted to look funny, but decided that
1) As an adult, I should set a good example for kids.
2) I might look funny, but I don't look stupid.
3) I am more likely to have an accident at a show, in a strange environment, with lots of activity, than at home.
4) I can't afford a brain injury. If I can't work, I have to sell the horse.

Atypical
"I don't belong here...."

Well gee....if that's the general attitude no wonder approveds don't get worn more. I'm also in the, "that's such a bunch of crap" group. The judge doesn't give a d*&^ and I for one see approved helmets and think of good, smart, careful horsepeople. Un-approveds and I roll my eyes. I'm a junior (till December anyway) and I would wear my approved even if i didn't have to.

dkcbr
Oct. 21, 2002, 04:57 PM
Personally I like wearing the larger-looking helmets. Makes my fat rear look less so by comparison. I tell myself. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mwalshe
Oct. 21, 2002, 05:01 PM
Actually lots of beginners around here wear ski helmets, even quite a lot of the hard-core locals do so that's why I was wondering...

I've thought of getting one for snowboarding but as I mainly stick to powder days and we don't have a lot of trees I haven't yet. Of course what I really need are some kind of collar bone protectors after last years spectacular, where's the edge? oh there's the edge! incident /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe I should wear a x-country vest under my jacket??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif hmmm... that's actually a good idea..

Bumpkin
Oct. 21, 2002, 05:07 PM
Looks great!! And totally in place /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ShowJumps
Oct. 21, 2002, 05:24 PM
Rather wear it than a feeding tube... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

"Elegance is an Attitude"

jr
Oct. 21, 2002, 05:48 PM
Add me to the CO SJ2000 crowd. It fits well. It may not be the most stylish, but it stays where it should.

I'm still thinking about a GPA, maybe for Christmas? Hint, hint.....

SteadyPace
Oct. 21, 2002, 05:51 PM
I have a an internation ATH (the GPA knockoff), and I don't give a rats ass if I look out of place. It fits and it will help should I have a serious fall. Let's forget that I'm not even competitive at the A's yet....:D

showjumps - Amen to that!

"Friends don't let friends reply to all"

CBoylen
Oct. 21, 2002, 08:13 PM
Obviously I need to clarify /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Regarding the velvet approved (and not the velvet GPA, which I don't include in this catagory):
I don't see them hardly at all at the shows I go to. THEREFORE when I do see one they look out of place. Think show bow out of place. It's not a judgment on the rider's skill level, whatever that may be, but it is a thing that sticks out fashion wise. Something that catches my attention as being out of place makes me think at first glance that the rider is out of place, and anything that occurs after that either has to contradict my first impression or support it (and I know 90% of you would make the same unconscious judgment about a rider with a show bow at an A show). We all know how hard first impressions are to correct. I think most of us prefer to present a positive one. I really don't care what anyone else wears on their head, but if it's noticeable to me, it's noticeable to the judge, because they see all the same riders as I do week after week. The poster didn't ask for safety opinions, she asked for fashion opinions as relating to one's area and situation, and that's what I gave her.

Bumpkin
Oct. 21, 2002, 08:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C.Boylen:
Regarding the velvet approved (and not the velvet GPA, which I don't include in this catagory):
I don't see them hardly at all at the shows I go to. THEREFORE when I do see one they look out of place. Think show bow out of place. It's not a judgment on the rider's skill level, whatever that may be, but it is a thing that sticks out fashion wise. Something that catches my attention as being out of place makes me think at first glance that the rider is out of place, and anything that occurs after that either has to contradict my first impression or support it (and I know 90% of you would make the same unconscious judgment about a rider with a show bow at an A show). We all know how hard first impressions are to correct. I think most of us prefer to present a positive one. I really don't care what anyone else wears on their head, but if it's noticeable to me, it's noticeable to the judge, because they see all the same riders as I do week after week. The poster didn't ask for safety opinions, she asked for fashion opinions as relating to one's area and situation, and that's what I gave her.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would never compare a Safety matter that is mandatory for many riders, to a Show Bow.
How funny /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
A Judge is not going to mark you down for wearing a Velvet GPA or any approved helmet.

JMHO of course. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

CTM
Oct. 21, 2002, 08:41 PM
I see more and more approved on adults in the show ring. (I attend mostly 'A' shows in the S'east.)
I do believe I see more GPA's than the 'traditional velvet hunt cap' made into an approved. I'm even starting to see some GPA's in the A/O ring. I school in a GPA but still show in my Patey. I guess I rationalize it because my horse is a steady 19 year old solid citizen. When I start showing my greenie, I'll probably wear the GPA. I like the look of the navy one (my charcoal schooling one is 1 1/2 years old and looks a bit worn for the show ring). If I wear a navy coat I wonder if the navy helmet would look OK in the ring?

barngirl
Oct. 21, 2002, 08:42 PM
After helping school horses for a collegiate horse show this weekend ( in my approved Troxel)... I have to say it was odd to see the few GPA's that some riders wore. I am assuming that the collegiate horse shows required approved helmets as everyone but trainer were wearing them. Maybe if more people were to wear them it wouldn't seem so out of place.
I experienced several falls in an unapproved helmet with no harness and decided that after seeing stars maybe it was not the best thing to do... not to mention that the helmet came off on one occasion!!! Something I swore to my self could never happen!!!
Maybe I am paranoid, but I put on my helmet for the same reason I put gallop, ankle and bell boots on my horse every ride... because I figure... ya never know if ya might need it... (I have a hard time going in the hunter classes without boots... guess thats why I like jumpers and eq's so much.) Read the Bumpkin post about what the approved helmets do for your brain and don't worry about fashion... the sooner more people start wearing them the sooner they will stop looking so out of place.

AAJumper
Oct. 21, 2002, 09:19 PM
Well, I go to a fair amount of A shows out here in CA, and I see plenty of adults wearing approved helmets (both velvet and GPA's), even in the hunters, and I don't think they look out of place. In fact, I see them so often that they look more the norm to me these days. I guess that we have different fashion standards out here in CA.

visit www.victorianfarms.com (http://www.victorianfarms.com)

Jamie Taylor
Oct. 21, 2002, 09:36 PM
I think I understand what C. Boylen is saying. Before the approved helmet rule went into effect not too many people wore approveds in the big eq or junior hunters etc. When you saw a big approved it gave you the impression that they just came onto the circuit. Don't get me wrong, I never thought it was WRONG, it just looked different from everyone else. The rider could have been AMAZING and yet their helmet looked funny almost. Now everyone wears their GPA and when you see the big velvet helmets (not necessarily the velvet GPA Bumpkin) just like the CO helmets or anything with out that horrific stripe it just looks odd. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, it just catches your eye, you just don't see them as much on the A's....don't know why, guess it is just because everyone is just TRENDY on the circuit...I hate being trendy...originally had a sticker (a lucky ladybug) on my helmet to make it different..then did franks stripe...now EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER has the darn stripes and I feel like a sheep =( Oh well, who cares...they are all safe with their stripes and thats all that matters. Anyways, in closing...I'm not saying its wrong...and I think I have the same opinion as C.Boylen that it doesn;t look wrong, just different.

"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive." - Van Wilder
"You can pick your nose and pick your friends, but you can't wipe your friends on the couch."

gwen
Oct. 21, 2002, 09:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C.Boylen:
I don't see them hardly at all at the shows I go to. THEREFORE when I do see one they look out of place. Think show bow out of place. It's not a judgment on the rider's skill level, whatever that may be, but it is a thing that sticks out fashion wise. Something that catches my attention as being out of place makes me think at first glance that the rider is out of place, and anything that occurs after that either has to contradict my first impression or support it (and I know 90% of you would make the same unconscious judgment about a rider with a show bow at an A show). We all know how hard first impressions are to correct. I think most of us prefer to present a positive one. I really don't care what anyone else wears on their head, but if it's noticeable to me, it's noticeable to the judge, because they see all the same riders as I do week after week. The poster didn't ask for safety opinions, she asked for fashion opinions as relating to one's area and situation, and that's what I gave her.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If this is the attitude of most people at the big "A" shows, then remind me never to show my face and my charles owen there. I might feel out of place....lol And if a judge notices my velvet approved helmet rather than the horse and my riding ability (and yes I have done various A shows for about 15 years), then he doesn't really need to be there to begin with!!! I guess a nice velvet approved helmet doesn't give a good "correct" impression! Might as well go back to the backyard barn I came from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, sensitive subject!

**BARB***

dublin
Oct. 21, 2002, 09:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Regarding the velvet approved (and not the velvet GPA, which I don't include in this catagory):
I don't see them hardly at all at the shows I go to. THEREFORE when I do see one they look out of place. Think show bow out of place. It's not a judgment on the rider's skill level, whatever that may be, but it is a thing that sticks out fashion wise. Something that catches my attention as being out of place makes me think at first glance that the rider is out of place, and anything that occurs after that either has to contradict my first impression or support it (and I know 90% of you would make the same unconscious judgment about a rider with a show bow at an A show). We all know how hard first impressions are to correct. I think most of us prefer to present a positive one. I really don't care what anyone else wears on their head, but if it's noticeable to me, it's noticeable to the judge, because they see all the same riders as I do week after week. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's sad to think that wearing an approved helmet that is not a GPA could somehow be construed as "not making a positive impression". I can't imagine it making any difference whatsoever to any reputable judge. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

It's not California Dreamin' -
It's an all California World Series!
~~GO GIANTS!!!!!!~~ /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

RolexH
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:12 AM
I told you last night that you would be opening a can of worms with a helmet question.. Although you really just want to know what people are wearing.

I think the photos of both of those approved are really sharp. Really. I was suprised.

~~Lisa~~
Save a life, be an organ donor

hoser1
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:13 AM
I'm an adult, and I wear my GPA every ride, but then again I'm not showing since I just started my horse under saddle in the spring. But when I do show, I am going to wear it.

I think as adults, we should all wear them. It sets an example. I think the pros should all wear them too. I wish AHSA (oops USAeq I am getting old!)would just make it a rule for everyone, that way no one would have to feel bad about not following "fashion" and we'd all be safe & happy! Plus, if everyone was wearing them, the companies would scramble more and more every season to come up with even nicer looking approved -- that's just simple economics!

rockstarr
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dkcbr:
Personally I like wearing the larger-looking helmets. Makes _my_ fat rear look less so by comparison. I tell myself. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am LOVING this theory, dkcbr!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

caffeinated
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:34 AM
It was so painfully drilled into me to wear the non-approveds when I was a kid I don't know if I'll ever get used to the approveds. (yes, they weren't mandatory for juniors when this happened.) It was so bad that I spent months going to every tack store in maryland until I found one that had a *single* helmet in my size (clear harness dealie).

But now I'm doing IHSA alum classes, and need an approved. Gonna borrow one... but maybe I'll just suck it up and get one. bugger. They just feel sooooo.... strange. and weird, and I just can't get used to how they look (I'm not vain, just used to one thing, and also am an adult and should be able to take my life in my hands, LOL, don't get me started about seat belts. ANd besides I have a HUGE head to begin with, the NA FAO helmets look like approveds on me cause I have to wear a 7 1/2..)....

*sniff*

Maybe I need a support group for riders used to old-school fashion. heh.

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**

LaurieB
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:48 AM
With all due respect to C.Boylen's opinion (which was rather bravely offered, by the way /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) I, too, show in Atlanta, mostly at the local shows and sometimes at the As. I'm an adult rider showing in the A/A division. I don't feel out of place in my CO Showjumper 2000. I have never had a fellow competitor make me feel as though I don't belong, and my placings don't appear to reflect any such feelings on the part of the judges.

So as long as you stay away from WEF /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I think you've got plenty of latitude in making your decision.

caffeinated
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:58 AM
I'm looking at the charles owen helmets now... I kinda like them

I like the Whitaker model the best so far (figures, it's the priciest, LOL).

Anyway how to the CO sizes run? I don't have time to go try them on really if I can order online. My international unapproved is a 7 1/2 and fits fine, but I recently tried on one of their approved helmets in that same size and it was too big.

Quinn
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:11 AM
The Charles Owen SJ2000 run quite true to size but I don't know about the other. Quite frankly, I do find it HUGE in profile but as Showjumps so appropriately stated, "I'd rather wear it than a breathing tube."

"If you are going through hell, keep going." ~Churchill~

hobson
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:21 AM
Really, people, if somebody points and laughs at you for wearing a real helmet, just tell them to please return their head to deep inside their butt and go about your business. What is the deal with adults bending to peer pressure? Life is short: why waste even one second worrying about what people think of your headgear? Let me tell you, I hope someone I loves slaps me hard on the day I decide to start making it my business to disapprove of other people's safety attire.

Hopeful Hunter
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:23 AM
The CO SJ2000 IS bug in profile -- personally, I figure it's just got that much more material to properly cushion my brain if needed. Although even I didn't adore "the look" I did adore how MUCH of my skull area it covered - especially the more sensitive lower skull.

FWIW, I think the Hampton model may have a bit less bulk to it -- it looks a bit less huge. No idea on sizing on that. I also found that every model seemed to be a touch different on sizes -- if at ALL possible I'd go try them on and buy them from a local tack shop (gotta keep them in business, too!).

I must say, though, I find it very, very amusing to see the idea of approved Velvets that are not GPAs being regarded as odd or out of place (and C. Boylen is reporting, I recognize, but I think many of us are disappointed and even angry with the reality she sees). Especially when you read the thread here about GPAs with STRIPES and FLAGS and all manner of, well, tacky crap on them. And this is coming from a woman who is right now searching for a leopard-print CO for schooling at home!

It amazes me that just because the tacky crap is on the oh-so-trendy GPAs it's considered OK. Imagine a nice, bright RED grosgrain bow at the back of an approved velvet helmet instead -- somehow I don't think that would get quite the positive reception...

caffeinated
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:28 AM
I don't care too much about being in or out of place at big shows, because I don't do big shows. I just think the CO looks better than most other approved options. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

So this thread has inspired me to protect my head and get one.

And in terms of safety I like skull coverage. One of the big reasons I don't like most approved helmets (besides the profile), is that a lot of them don't really cover that lower skull area. And my non approved apparel item actually covers more of that part of my head. (at least that's what I've found) So even though it's non approved I "feel" safer in it, if you can believe that. LOL And that's why I've ridden in one for so long- can't convince me that some of the approveds are actually safe. The types of falls I generally take tend to involve the back of my head, and I'm not convinced most approveds actually cover that part.

edited to add that last clarification on why I like my FAO helmet at least up till now

[This message was edited by goldentoes on Oct. 22, 2002 at 12:49 PM.]

Hopeful Hunter
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:32 AM
Good for you, goldentoes!

FWIW, I too grew up with unapproved helmets, BUT my instructor INSISTED upon them as they were all the safety gear we HAD then. And I also prefer the feel of more of my head covered. That's why I ended up with The CO SJ2000 -- it FELT both protective and comfortable. And it is -- so much so that I really think I need to ditch my Troxel schooling helmet for one.

After a while you won't even notice the size. And when you see a few helmets cracked up the middle and the wearer perfectly fine (at least regarding head injury), you'll feel REALLY good about your approved!

Bumpkin
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:43 AM
Good for you!!!

I would think it would be very shallow to allow fashion to dictate how I protect my brain.
I think everyone should add this thread, I am posting, to the Mr Bumpkin thread in their minds when they consider a new helmet....Head Injuries - Robby Johnson (http://chronicleforums.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=6656094911&f=5566064631&m=3996094741)

Eden Roc
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:48 AM
Last time I checked Louise Serio was wearing an approved helmet and she is one of the TOP HUNTER RIDERS IN THE UNITED STATES. Her long list of accomplishment and great horses speakes for itself-- and she rides GREAT. She goes to Palm Beach in the winter and all the major shows up and down the East Coast. So I am not sure how wearing an approved helmet makes one look like they do not belong there.
I was at a local show this weekend and the judge told me that she heard the AHSA would be requiring all adults to wear approved helmets staring Dec1-- does anyone else know about this?

RumoursFollow
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:32 AM
at shows and even though recently I have been showing locally, and I have felt out of place. I started wearing one because I bought it this summer when I needed an approved helmet for a job I ended up not taking- and then I killed my Regal Crowne and have been wearing the GPA until I can replace it. MOST of the adults that I compete against on the PSJ circuit (comparable possibly to a C rated show since we dont have those here) wear unapproved helmets. I'd say that 75% of them also do the A shows.

You people can rant and rave all you want about how wrong it is....... this topic has been hashed and rehashed and rehashed some more until the people that disagree with the Helmet Nazis mostly dont bother to come and read these threads anymore, myself included. I came here because my friend alerted me to the fact that C.Boylen had been jumped on for giving a TRUE opinion about what goes on at the biggest shows in the country. She would know, she shows at those shows.

Whether you choose to like it or not is your call, but she gave an honest opinion, and she has as much right to express it as you do, so lay off.

-----------------------------
RumoursFollow
Ten Oaks Farm (http://www.geocities.com/tenoakssc/index.html)

RumoursFollow
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by edenroc:
I was at a local show this weekend and the judge told me that she heard the AHSA would be requiring all adults to wear approved helmets staring Dec1-- does anyone else know about this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not true.

RumoursFollow
Ten Oaks Farm (http://www.geocities.com/tenoakssc/index.html)

creseida
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:45 AM
Gee, except in EQ, I thought it was the horse being judged, and the rider was there to subtly guide him/her around the course. I didn't know that HELMETS were judged on the "A" circuit.

Hmmm...

I wear a CO SJ2000. When I see people ride in unapproveds, they look like those pinheads in the movie, "Freaks", because to me, their heads look disproportionately SMALL.

I guess I'm just used to being around people who value their sanity more than their vanity. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

~&lt;&gt;~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~&lt;&gt;~

Coreene
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:51 AM
BIG names. And, not surprisingly, none of them said that it mattered at all because they do not pay attention. One said "It would be pretty shallow to judge someone based on what their helmet looks like."

caffeinated
Oct. 22, 2002, 11:00 AM
It's not just vanity though. I don't think the majority of people ride in FAO helmets because of looks as *much* as it's just what they've always worn, what they're used to, and what everybody else has always worn and be used to.

I don't think it's so much "oh those new hats look appalling" as it is aversion to change in general.

It's why I wanted one the last time around. I'd just always had one. I had a coach who wouldn't even let me show till I got one (at least, after a horrifying incident involving a brain bucket and a show bow). So it's become ingrained in me that that helmet is just "what you wear" There's a level of comfort involved, not just vanity.

Yeah, I think I'm going to get a decent approved, and I like the CO's more than the GPA type hats (I just can't wrap my mind around them, they look too weird to me, even with all the juniors and GP riders wearing them). But it took me a long time to want one- not just because of the looks, but because it just wasn't me, and wasn;t what I had been trained to wear, and wasn't what I was used to.

And in my last year of IHSA when our team was erquired to wear approved hats, the ones we got didn't come in sizes- and in regional finals one slipped over my eyes so I rode an entire course nearly blind, and I've had a deep aversion to them ever since that I'm only beginning to be willing to overcome.

It's like seatbelts. For a long time people wouldn;t wear them not because of vanity or whatever, but because they weren't used to them and on some level suspicious of them, even though the safety benefits were proven over and over.

Give it time, more people will make the switch, no need to call them vain or stupid

Paloma
Oct. 22, 2002, 11:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RumoursFollow:

some more until the people that disagree with the Helmet Nazis mostly dont bother to come and read these threads anymore, myself included. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really resent the word "N@zi" being used. It is absolutely inappropriate as well as being truly offensive. Please edit your post and remove that word.

&gt;&gt; If Noah had been Truly Wise,
He would have swatted Those Two Flies... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif &lt;&lt;

Coreene
Oct. 22, 2002, 11:26 AM
Please read my post on Brain Injuries on Off Course. Then either walk the past seven years in my shoes or have the courtesy of keeping it to yourself.

achcosuva
Oct. 22, 2002, 12:14 PM
I have an International A/V and love it. I was looking for a velvet approved so that I could use it for h/j and for dressage, it fit, I bought it. I've worn approveds all my life and think I would look just plain weird in an unapproved. (See picture)

Now then, if judges on the A circuit are judging people based on what thier helmet looks like, or if they're wearing a showbow, or if they have the right color pants on, or if they're wearing the trendiest brands in the trendiest colors... I think I'll just ride the local circuit. I don't think judges CARE if you're wearing an approved helmet, a showbow, gray, rust, or PURPLE breeches! They're looking at the horse! (Or, if in the EQ, then at the way the rider rides, not what she's wearing.) /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

-Anne, the sister of a PrettyFilly and searching for the PerfectHorse-
"I'm not insane...I just compartmentalize!"

EqChick
Oct. 22, 2002, 12:28 PM
I am really sorry for igniting such emotions, AGAIN. We all know this has been rehashed many times over. I am SO not trying to get people upset here or just start the same debate over again. Please recognize the following:

- I DO know helmets are important. I, myself, have had several concussions in the over 15 years I've been riding, including a few hospital visits. That is WHY I'm looking at getting an approved! I really am trying, I swear!

- I did ask for a report on what's seen in the adult hunter classes at good shows. Thank you, again, C. Boylen and others for giving me your thoughts (I'm sure you knew what kind of responses you'd get). I really did just want to know what people are wearing. I never said I'd follow everyone like a blind fool, I never said I want to keep a FAO helmet, and I never said I thought they were safe enough. I don't think anyone has said that on this thread.

I do agree with a lot of you that it's not that I think I'll not get pinned for wearing an approved, it's just weird to me. I come from the OLD school of navy hunt coats, white show shirts, gloves, TS, hairnets, and the like. That's just the way it used to be. I'm not saying people look dumb for wearing approved's, I actually like the safety trend.

That's why I posted this thread in the first place. I think I am going to go approved for shows, and I want to know what's seen. I'm just trying to get information, and I really would like to think we can all be adult enough to let people respond to my questions without berating them. If you disagree, tell me why you think otherwise - BY SAYING WHAT ELSE YOU SEE IN THE RING - that's what this thread is about.

I appreciate your pictures with approved's, too. I do like the GPA, but it's definitely out of my price range. I'm thiking I'll probably go with a CO or Intn'l - depending on what fits best and which I like the best.

Besides, my boyfriend plays ice hockey and never goes on the ice without helmet and what I call his "Grill." After seeing his quite attractive face be an inch away from a slap-shot puck, I won't let him on without it, either. We talked about the whole helmet issue last night, too, and he said "I don't care what you wear, but when I'm feeding you strained peas I'll just keep asking you why you went for looks." (Typical comment reflecting his sense of humor. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) We actually discovered that the GPA manufacturer makes hockey helmets, too!

SO - thank you for all of your input. I am going to try to make it to a tack store this week to try on more helmets. I will definitely report back on what I find.

And please, let's keep it civil - information sharing is what this BB is for!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DMK
Oct. 22, 2002, 12:48 PM
I'm a little confused about those going on about velvet approveds...

If you own a velvet approved, and you don't care a whit about fashion, why would you care if the more fashionable approved helmet was the GPA?

If you care enough to argue the point, then I can only draw the conclusion that you truly, deep down, do care about the fashionable aspect, in which case, the thing that could make you happiest would be to buy the GPA and be safe and appropriately fashionable within the realm of approved helmets.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

EqChick
Oct. 22, 2002, 12:52 PM
Do any of you know what the deal is with the CO unapproved? I think it's called the "Ascot" ?

It is FAR better than any other FAO as far as padding, it's HARD, etc. I know CO is a good approved brand, but I also know this one is not approved. Do you guys know if it's like the unapproveds, but just doesn't withstand approval tests, or pounds of pressure, or impact force, or whatever?

Does think make sense? I'm just curious why this particular helmet isn't approved. I may just need to contact them directly.

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 01:01 PM
BIG names. And, not surprisingly, none of them said that it mattered at all because they do not pay attention. One said "It would be pretty shallow to judge someone based on what their helmet looks like."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big names, eh? How long, exactly, are their names?

-----
http://forums.catchride.com - - Message Board of my site (http://forums.catchride.com)

EqChick
Oct. 22, 2002, 01:21 PM
Okay, I sent an email to the company to ask about their one unapproved helmet and why it's unapproved. I'll post what response I get.

Jo
Oct. 22, 2002, 01:44 PM
If "everybody" is wearing the GPA, wouldn't people wearing a velvet unapproved look stupid? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

"You might think there would be an explanation for this... but you would be wrong."

achcosuva
Oct. 22, 2002, 01:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darkerhorse:
Big names, eh? How long, exactly, are their names?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Anne, the sister of a PrettyFilly and searching for the PerfectHorse-
"I'm not insane...I just compartmentalize!"

JB
Oct. 22, 2002, 01:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by goldentoes:
ANd besides I have a HUGE head to begin with, the NA FAO helmets look like approveds on me cause I have to wear a 7 1/2..)....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here here. I have a Troxel, have to wear an XL to get my hair under there (otherwise it would just be the LARGE) so while even the FOA looks huge, I care not a whit that the approved looks a tad bigger. I happen to like my brains.

Adults - wear the approved, or the unapproved, I personally don't care, but please don't keep perpetuating the notion that the approved looks out of place, like you just joined the circuit, that you don't know what you're going, blah blah blah. Have enough respect for your peers that they made their choice one way or the other. The less the differences in the noggin protectors are pointed out, the more everyone will forget they are there, and the fewer newbies to the circuits (C, B, or A) will be oh so concerned about looks and fitting in.

lisa
Oct. 22, 2002, 02:23 PM
Okay, I sent an email to the company to ask about their one unapproved helmet and why it's unapproved. I'll post what response I get.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the CO Ascot. It's unapproved because it's just a plastic shell -- the same as an unapproved International, or whatever.

It's expensive for a shell, but I bought it because it Looks Good, and I can't/won't buy a Patey.

Of course, I'm one that talks out of both sides of my mouth /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif. I wear an approved (older Troxel) when I school/lesson, and show in the shell. My hubby and kid both wear approved, and I won't let my daughter (who is a much better rider than me) mount without her approved.

I'm seriously considering the CO Whitaker in that lovely gray color. Hated the SJ2000 and Hampton.

Coreene
Oct. 22, 2002, 02:44 PM
Between them they have judged three USET finals, one Maclay and two AHSAs, not to mention numerous Big Eq classes at big A shows.

EqChick
Oct. 22, 2002, 02:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisa:
I have the CO Ascot. It's unapproved because it's just a plastic shell -- the same as an unapproved International, or whatever.

It's expensive for a shell, but I bought it because it Looks Good, and I can't/won't buy a Patey.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lisa- I figured that was the case, but I still like that better than other FAO's. At least it's HARD and has padding! I went and looked at a new International FAO (like the one I have now that's like 12 years old), and it's bendy - like I can change the shape of the shell with my hands. That totally freaked me out and is what actually started me on this quest in the first place.

I have borrowed a Patey before (just to see what it was like on - so we're talking 30 sec) and like it 'cause it's hard and has some padding, but looks like da bomb. That's why I like the Ascot - it's still not approved, but looks good and seems safer than just shell.

Do you agree? I can't really afford a Patey or a GPA, so I need to find a good mix of all we've been discussing (safety, looks, and affordability).

Hopeful Hunter
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:01 PM
IT will be interesting to see what CO says about the Ascot. From what I can tell, I suspect it's not approved because it doesn't have a sufficient amount of the crushable material to cushion impact up to approval standards -- which of course is why it looks slimmer and more like the old hard hats I wore in the dark ages. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Hopeful Hunter
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:05 PM
On the "what's being worn" subject -- I'm going to WIHS so I'll report from there. In the Harrisburg Grand Prix there were a lot of GPAs and a lot of unapproveds. One or two velvet approveds, but most of the velvets were Items of Apparel Only. Don't know about the adult hunters there as I didn't see those classes.

On our local circuit, most of the adults in hunters and eq wear a velvet approved helmet. A few have GPAs, and some have the velvet unapproved ones - usually the older faded models on those, and even some in the baby poop brown velvet.

Bumpkin
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:07 PM
Please read Mr Bumpkin's Helmet Theory in the NEW Reference Forum.

Then read Robby Johnson's thread on Brain Injuries. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:11 PM
Between them they have judged three USET finals, one Maclay and two AHSAs, not to mention numerous Big Eq classes at big A shows.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, look, C. Boylen's point was it looks out of place. I agree, it does. Your judge friends don't say that is an approved helmet, 5 points off in this classic round. They won't ever admit to thinking it is ugly. Judges won't admit to placing fat people lower in Eq. They don't say when Arabs won't get a good ribbon. They don't outright say they don't like painted or spotted or morabaloosazorse horses. It isn't illegial to use any of the above things, but riding in hunters and equitation is subjective. It is about looks. The total package. Would you show all dirty? heh, I have before but that's besides the point :X. Like, if something doesn't look right it isn't as pretty. If you see some pretty conf looking horse and nicely turned out rider who might ride a bit backwards to a jump then have to run out and then another rider who is wearing something ugly on an ugly horse who doesn't make any technical mistakes but has a 'hot lama' of a horse who is awful, which is going to win?

You can say hot lama till you are blue in the face, but then you are lieing.

But Back to me, my favorite topic /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have a velvet approved hate. The chin strap unbuckles itself all the time and now has to be saftey pinned closed when I wear it (at shows you have to have it on and those approved hats just fly right off /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) I'd get a new one, but next year I get to use my old hat. I hate the little GPA ones because they are funkified looking. The hat I have now is pretty darn bad looking and I was about the only person I knew who used one of those instead of a GPA. Well, a few used the charles owen thing, but that just is so awful.

If I had to get a new hat, I don't know what I would choose. Luckily I am an adult in december and can use my old hat. Hopefully I can rip out the harness that I had to superglue in. The harness buckles rusted when we didn't show for a month or two and I didn't have a reason to attach the harness.

-----
http://forums.catchride.com - - Message Board of my site (http://forums.catchride.com)

Coreene
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:20 PM
Then again, we've disagreed before and I am sure we will again, so that's fine. My velvet approved helmet has never given me any problems, but if it did I would send it back to the manufacturer and get a replacement. Squeaky wheel and all that.

As for removing the harness, all I can suggest is that you read Robby Johnson's topic in Off Course on brain injuries and hope it never happens to you like it did to me. Because man oh man does it suck out loud.

dublin
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:26 PM
Just wondering how many separate groups of people may have been offended by various statements in the next to last post??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

gwen
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:30 PM
Well If I walk in a BIG A show then tell me to turn around and go home and not to waste my money.. I might look strange in my velvet helmet!!!!!!

Maybe that's why I don't waste my time and money to be looked at by shallow people like you!

OH WAIT...I DON"T CARE!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

**BARB***

Tin
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:40 PM
what people choose to wear is thier problem. I could care less.

Now onto a question, if this has been discussed before I appologise but this is the first helmet thread I've ever read /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
I have 2 helmets; one to school in and one to show in (both approved velvet things). The show one is a size larger so I can fit all my hair in it, is it still safe? With my hair all crammed in it's snug.

Magnolia
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:49 PM
Just wear what you want to. If you are secure and feel comfortable that you won't get pitched off, and you want to fit in, wear the unapproved. I'm sure many A hunter riders fit in this category - you and your horse have been doing this forever and feel confident in your ability to do a course without doing a faceplant.

If you feel like you need to be wearing your approved for safety reasons and, but don't because of fashion..........well........... you're an idiot and need to be more secure about your image. At any rate, I'm sure hoping this will be a moot point in a few years.

BTW, why are those ugly GPA's so popular? Is it because they are the priciest? Well made? safest?

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

Xanthoria
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darkerhorse:
If I had to get a new hat, I don't know what I would choose. Luckily I am an adult in december and can use my old hat. Hopefully I can rip out the harness that I had to superglue in. The harness buckles rusted when we didn't show for a month or two and I didn't have a reason to attach the harness.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well lucky you - an adult in December? Hopefully you live long enough to do all the other adult things we justified ancients enjoy - having kids, buying a house, being in fulfilling relationships, paying high insurance premiums and having to get a waiver to even blink at the barn because so many people have been injured after riding accidents where they didn't want to take responsibility for the risk involved and wear an approved helmet.

I speak with the flippant sarcasm of a brain injury survivor - please excuse my facetiousness: the humble and polite part of my frontal lobe was irrevocably damaged because the cheesy piece of elastic holding the unapproved helmet on my head snapped when I went flying off the horse and into the rock....

Please do choose an approved helmet - those of us who have survived blunt head trauma wish you would learn form OUR mistakes, not make them yourselves, needlessly.

Tobi
Oct. 22, 2002, 03:51 PM
Let me start by saying, I've never judged a class at a horse show, so I may be off base in my following comments. BUT i have been showing for about 26 years, so have some general experience...

I would think that a judge might notice the type of hat someone is wearing when they walk in the ring or when they are doing their warm-up circle. similiar to how they might notice an unusually colored jacket, an unstained bright orange bridle, etc. my guess is that once the entry on course has taken the first jump, they are much more focused on how the horse/rider jump, their pace, did they get their changes, etc.

at the big shows, the judges see zillions of juniors wearing all styles of approved hats. i doubt any hat really sticks out to them by the time the adults get around to showing.

AAJumper
Oct. 22, 2002, 04:15 PM
Well, I was talking to someone who is a judge at a horse show (she wasn't judging then) while I was on my horse, wearing an approved helmet. Later on during an online discussion of approved helmets, I mentioned that I had been wearing my new approved helmet, she said that she didn't even NOTICE that I was wearing it. FWIW to you AOL'ers, Carol told me that.

I personally do not think that all that many people walk around A shows thinking that people wearing approved helmets look out of place and shouldn't be there. I think some people who are concerned about how they look may believe that, but that's just my theory. I for one can say that I show at the bigger shows and I do not look around at people's helmets judging whether they look like they fit in or not. And when I do happen to be looking around to see if people are wearing an approved, I notice a lot of them, and they don't look out of place to me. Maybe I'm not representative of the average population at A shows, but I do represent a portion of the population at least.

Oh, but what I DID notice one time was that a woman who fell off was wearing an unapproved without a harness and her helmet popped right off. And at the time I was thinking that she wasn't such a smart woman.

fleur
Oct. 22, 2002, 04:18 PM
You may be eighteen, but you certainly aren't an adult /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

*EMMA*

Jo
Oct. 22, 2002, 04:30 PM
AAJumper - you should post a pic of your helmet. It always looks to me that it fits your head well and doesn't look "bubbly."

"You might think there would be an explanation for this... but you would be wrong."

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 04:32 PM
Then again, we've disagreed before and I am sure we will again, so that's fine. My velvet approved helmet has never given me any problems, but if it did I would send it back to the manufacturer and get a replacement. Squeaky wheel and all that.

As for removing the harness, all I can suggest is that you read Robby Johnson's topic in Off Course on brain injuries and hope it never happens to you like it did to me. Because man oh man does it suck out loud.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I don't remember disagreeing with you before, but you seem rather like the bible thumping jesus or die people- - so I'm sure I have.

As C.Boylen keeps saying, read for comprehension. The way someone looks does effect their placings.

Did I ever say that your friends were not placing people due to how they looked? (and I THINK this is how you read my post). No. I am saying that as humans they follow human nature. They will overlook someone who dresses the part of someone who is sucessful. It is a look. It is a sport about looks. There is an objective part in judging, but the subjective part plays as large or a more large part than the subjective. I mean, how do you decide which horse jumps 4 points better than the other one?

The judges don't even know they are doing it. It isn't a rule. It just is what is considered good looking. Fashion. Yes. Fashion. It is important. The sport is subjective. C.Boylen and the others do more shows all the time all over the place. LOL, Maybe their trainer is even one of those 'long fat named judges' who you don't name in your posts. I would listen to someone who acatually goes to the horse shows that the person was asking about if I wanted a more factual answer.

More people wear non approved hats in the amateurs than not at large AA and even regular AA type shows. Fact. You don't seem to understand what peoplee are saying.

-----

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 04:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -Emma-:
You may be eighteen, but you certainly aren't an adult /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

*EMMA*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An attack from a little bb guide person. How smart and thoughtful and all that great stuff.

You get the cookie for today! You did one of two stupid or immature things when you made this reply. You didn't read for comprehension or you used my word choice as a 'childish,' heh, chance to make a petty insult.

Why? Because I will say what I think? If you agreed with me, would you think otherwise?

Next time, e-mail me. It is better to do that than to try to get public approval for an insult on another.

And I hardly think that being an adult is any different from being any other age, other than being over 18.. Did I ever claim to be mature? Do I ever claim to be anything? No. I hope you don't either, because you are fooling yourself if you do.

Have a nice life, you seem like such a lovely person.

-----

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 04:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dublin:
Just wondering how many separate groups of people may have been offended by various statements in the next to last post??? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It acatually wasn't suppost to be offensive. It is, abit, but it has good points.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with paints, morabaloosazorses, or anything else. I was trying to make one view on the helmet issue more clear by using examples that are posted about lots of COTH BB.

It was suppost to be like.. All of the time when judges pin some kind of horses who have good rounds who are spotted, arab, etc over a 'average looking pair' is most of the time NOT because they are doing it on purpose. It is because of their own subconscious ideas of 'fashion' or the look of a pair that is suppost to win.

That still isn't clear.. Anyone care to clarify that understands? I need to take an online quiz before my 6:30 class.

-----

Coreene
Oct. 22, 2002, 05:06 PM
Loff you for posting about skiing helmets, I am now going to ski for the first time in years! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

fleur
Oct. 22, 2002, 05:22 PM
Darkerhorse, I'm not even going to grace that post with a response...

Oh wait, yes I am. I wasn't attacking you, merely commenting that if:

A) You feel that the way one's head looks for 10 minutes in a show ring is more important than the way one's head functions for one's whole life,

and

B) You think that it is human nature to overlook what is correct by what looks good (to your standards) even if what "looks good" is riding backwards and has a runout,

and

C) You think that a respectable judge such as one that Coreene is discussing would stoop so low as to place a bad rider wearing a "fashionable" plastic shell hat and Tailored Sportsmans over a good, effective rider,

and

D) You would ever assume that you know anywhere NEAR as much about the world of horses and horse shows as Coreene and many of the other people on this board,

then no, you are certainly not an adult. You are an eighteen-year old naive child!

COREENE BROKE HER SKULL. SHE HAD BRAIN DAMAGE AND WAS ON MEDICATION FOR MANY YEARS. IT WAS THE ONLY TIME SHE EVER RODE WITHOUT A HELMET. EVER.

She obviously learned what is really important in life when she recovered. Hopefully you and your fashionable horse show friends won't have to learn that lesson the same way.

*EMMA*

Jamie Taylor
Oct. 22, 2002, 05:23 PM
Where did anyone say that the people wearing velvet approveds were lesser riders?? I don't remember reading that at all...I remember C. Boylen saying that you didn't see a lot of them, and I remember agreeing. When someone walks into the ring in one you notice it...the same way you notice an unapproved. It used to be that everyone (almost) wore the unapproveds, now they [and everything velvet without a stripe] look funny. I never said that it was wrong or stupid or anything...I said that it looked out of place almost...just because of what the norm has become....the same way an unapproved does...everyone who posted telling people that if they wore an unapproved they obviously didn't have brains to protect...thats unnecessary, I'm still a junior and yet I can see this, and you guys can't...Please don't be shallow...I look up to so many people on this board because they are so knowledgable and respectable...don't prove me wrong by being petty again please.

"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive." - Van Wilder
"You can pick your nose and pick your friends, but you can't wipe your friends on the couch."

fleur
Oct. 22, 2002, 05:24 PM
OK, my post was pissy, I take (most of) it back. If you want to wear an unapproved, be my guest! But just know that it's a bad choice to make. Seriously.

*EMMA*

Coreene
Oct. 22, 2002, 05:52 PM
What I took issue with was "The velvet approved practically scream "I don't belong here" at the bigger shows (at least in FL and the north, I've noticed they're more acceptable in the south)."

The judges don't agree. Obviously the majority of posting BBers on this thread do not agree, either.

trae
Oct. 22, 2002, 06:12 PM
after months of following the Great Helmet Debates of 2002, I have come to this conclusion:

it seems as though approved is the rising norm and that there is far more (in the most POSITIVE sense) peer pressure to "buckle up" and wear an approved than there is to wear a FAO.

If you're an adult, be aware of the risks and take responsibility for your personal choices.

That said, having read of Coreene, I have given myself a good swift kick in the ass for ever getting on my horse without a helmet (a bad, bad habit I picked up when I quit showing and riding "seriously," because well "everybody else was doing it" - kick, kick, kick).

But, I do admit, in the dark of night, I sneak down to my basement where no one can see and put on my Circuit with the clear harness and light up a Camel.

Please, no more fighting...

gwen
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:13 PM
What I took issue with was "The velvet approved practically scream "I don't belong here" at the bigger shows (at least in FL and the north, I've noticed they're more acceptable in the south)."

The judges don't agree. Obviously the majority of posting BBers on this thread do not agree, either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coreene.....that is exactly where I noticed the comment....

**BARB***

rockstar
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trae:
after months of following the Great Helmet Debates of 2002, I have come to this conclusion:

it seems as though approved is the rising norm and that there is far more (in the most POSITIVE sense) peer pressure to "buckle up" and wear an approved than there is to wear a FAO.

If you're an adult, be aware of the risks and take responsibility for your personal choices.

That said, having read of Coreene, I have given myself a good swift kick in the ass for ever getting on my horse without a helmet (a bad, bad habit I picked up when I quit showing and riding "seriously," because well "everybody else was doing it" - kick, kick, kick).

But, I do admit, in the dark of night, I sneak down to my basement where no one can see and put on my Circuit with the clear harness and light up a Camel.

Please, no more fighting...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SUCH a great post! LOVED the last line!!!

Vote November 5th!!!

dogchushu
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:44 PM
Wow! I thought the politics and religion threads got heated!

I only show local, but of the adult riders in our barn who do show in the bigger, rated shows: two wear unapproved, one wears approved. One of the unapproved wearers is actually considering purchasing a GPA because she feels it's more "in" now than her old, unapproved.

Interestingly, I recently asked an "R" judge who works at the A's what her opinion was about what riders wear (I didn't ask about helmets specifically, though they did come up). She said she does notice appropriate vs. inappropriate rider turn out (e.g. poor fitting or dirty attire) but as far as what's fashionable, she said she's 51 and has no clue what recent trends are, so she couldn't care less.

In her opinion, having an "off" brand of breeches, coats or an approved helmet other than a GPA may be a big deal with other riders, but the judge has only a few moments to evaluate your ride and is looking at too many other things to care much. The judge is more likely to be worrying about whether to pin the horse who's a brilliant jumper with a slightly late lead change over a more average jumper who did everything correctly than to be worrying about what the riders are wearing.

Richard, I see your point about "looking the part" making a subconscious difference. But I think "looking the part" (to judges) is probably more a matter of being appropriately turned out (clean and well-fitted attire), rather than which helmet you use. Heck the two judges I talked to this weekend (one the "R" judge I mentioned earlier and the other an "r" judge) were both clamoring for the return of the rust breeches and brown field boots they loved so much back when they were riding. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

lindz
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:48 PM
Up in here in the great white north, I'm sorry to report that approved helmets are few and far between in the adult amateurs at the big "A" shows, especially the younger adults. I have seen more in the older a/a's (with age comes wisdom!) but I think that approved helmets should be mandatory for people of all ages. Period. I compete in the younger adults and even though I may look out of place, I wear my skunk with pride. I don't think judges care what you are wearing on your head...heck I won the medal finals wearing my skunk! I think if more professional hunter riders wore approved helmets, then more amateurs would too.

Atypical
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:48 PM
Personal attacks aside, I think it's the responsibility of the ADULTS to make a good impression for the youth in this sport. I'm 18, so I'm not exactly old and wizened, but that's how I see it.

Besides the fact that as one gets older, one tends to BOUNCE less effectively. Personally I plan to ride for a long, long long time, and I feel safer in my approved. Besides, when am I ever standing in front of a mirror while riding my horse?

And Darkerhorse, your points are made less well when using the type of belittling tone you did in your posts.

rockstar
Oct. 22, 2002, 07:50 PM
Ok… skipping over all of this bickering and getting back to EqCHick’s original question… which I am very much wondering too!!

I’m going to be buying a hat pretty soon and also need help. After the brain injury thread I (BIG gulp!) am going the approved route. I can’t believe it… I think they are the most horrendous, ugly things I’ve ever seen and are a disgrace to the hunter/eq aesthetic I have loved since I was six!!!! It goes against every vain notion I have (and I’ve got lots of em’!). BUT, when push comes to shove, screw the aesthetic. We have the technology to keep safe now… to throw out that technology in the name of beauty, no matter how painful it is, is more ridiculous than even I can stomach (and I can stomach quite a lot when it comes to fashion and being ridiculous… you should SEE the shoes I have in my closet!!).

I’m am SO way confused on what’s out there on the market right now, though, and y’all are throwing around a lot of brands that weren’t around when I left the scene a few years back.

Could someone out there list the variety of approved helmets available please??? Please use full names, price, picture (if available), and on a scale of 1 to 10, rate how fashionable (OF the approved hats seen on the circuit) the hat is. And I’m VERY confused on this velvet vs. non-velvet thing especially… the consensus seems to be that the non-velvet, uglier approved hat (the GPA?) is the most popular on the circuit?

For those of us who may not have been around to watch the proliferation of approved hats into the horse show world over the last few years, it’s very hard to understand all of this!!

Vote November 5th!!!

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -Emma-:
Darkerhorse, I'm not even going to grace that post with a response...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Coulda fooled me
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Oh wait, yes I am. I wasn't attacking you, merely commenting that if: <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment? That wasn't a comment. It said I was hardly an adult. Nothing to back up your claims. You took a word from my post and turned it into something else and personal.
A) You feel that the way one's head looks for 10 minutes in a show ring is more important than the way one's head functions for one's whole life,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Blah blah blah, okay I think its someone's choice. Their own to make, not yours /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

and
B) You think that it is human nature to overlook what is correct by what looks good (to your standards) even if what "looks good" is riding backwards and has a runout,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it is human nature to overlook new things for the traditional image of what is how a person who is sucessful does things. Don't tell me what I think. I didn't say runout. I said riding backwards. NOt chip not runout, just not as good of a ride.

and
C) You think that a respectable judge such as one that Coreene is discussing would stoop so low as to place a bad rider wearing a "fashionable" plastic shell hat and Tailored Sportsmans over a good, effective rider,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you graduated from 8th grade? Judges have preconcieved ideas in their head. When you walk in they get an impression. It isn't sportsmanship, it is human nature. Please..
and
D) You would ever assume that you know anywhere NEAR as much about the world of horses and horse shows as Coreene and many of the other people on this board,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I say that?

then no, you are certainly not an adult. You are an eighteen-year old naive child!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why are you fighting with a child then?
COREENE BROKE HER SKULL. SHE HAD BRAIN DAMAGE AND WAS ON MEDICATION FOR MANY YEARS. IT WAS THE ONLY TIME SHE EVER RODE WITHOUT A HELMET. EVER.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

okay.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>She obviously learned what is really important in life when she recovered. Hopefully you and your fashionable horse show friends won't have to learn that lesson the same way.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But i'm a child. Iwoudn't understand, now would I?

-----

fleur
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:56 PM

nicely turned out rider who might ride a bit backwards to a jump then have to run out <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you did say run out, but whatever. Go ahead and wear your unapproved, see if I care /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

*EMMA*

fleur
Oct. 22, 2002, 08:58 PM
I'm not fighting. I'm conversing on a BB. I don't fight online /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I hope you had fun picking apart my post. Now then-

EqChick- the point you can get is that if you want to be fashionable, wear an unapproved. If you want to be sure that your noggin is safe, wear an approved. You might never fall on your head, but if you do, it's there.

*EMMA*

JB
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:05 PM
rockstar, there are so many helmets out there, in all price ranges and sizes. It really doesn't matter what people post here as to what's there and what they cost, you really just have to go try them on and buy what fits you best. Personally, my Troxel fits me just fine and I don't give a flip who thinks it looks out of place. And no, I'm not going to spend $300 for a helmet (that I'll have to replace in 5 years anyway) just because it's "in" this year.

Hopeful Hunter
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:18 PM
rockstarr - well, there are a whole LOT of different approved helmets out there, with many different looks and fits. What's available will depend greatly on where you are located -- and you really DO need to try them on to find what works best on your head, with your hair, etc. I went through probably 9 or more different styles trying them on with my hair up and down to see what worked for me. I didn't really want to spend $180 on a helmet, but it fit best and was significantly better in comfort.

I suggest you grab your favorite major catalog and start browsing. Identify a few types that look appealing in the photos, then hit the tack shops and see what's out there. Prices range from $85 to $300 and everything in between - it's really a matter of what works best for YOU.

Good luck, and good thinking!

SaddleFitterVA
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:31 PM
Yeah right /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I think my navy COSJ2000 is gorgeous, I get comments on how gorgeous it is almost everytime I take it out of the box.

I really must get out more because I just wasn't aware that I am supposed to be looking at the helmets that people are wearing.

Of course, compared to my Lexington Lidlocker, that COSJ2000 IS gorgeous. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I also love the look of it better than the Troxel Grand Prix. I have an old International eventing helmet that my husband has taken over and I should probably replace it. The padding in it is probably TOO hard. And wouldn't crush enough in a fall to absorb the energy.

Now,thanks to the head injuries thread, I'm definitely buying a ski helmet this season...I fall WAY more often skiing and we don't have powder here...we have ice. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif gotta love east coast ski "resorts" where they make the snow. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

All of you lovely people who can afford head injuries...well, my hat ISN'T off to you, I'll keep mine ON, since I can't afford them.

Southern Sister
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:31 PM
This post has gotten out of hand. I am not going to name call or bash anyone for saying anything, afterall everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am going to say that after reading all the *worthwhile* posts (ya'll know who you are /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ), I am going to convert. About 7 years ago, I started going to bigger AA shows, and talked my parents into getting an international non-approved. For my first show as an ammy, I too *gasp* ripped off my harness and flounced into the ring. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

A few shows later, a near fall (I lost a stirrup & was leaning headfirst over the side of my wonderful horse who saved my butt as usual) caused my unapproved, no harness hat to fall off- imagine that huh!!

After that incident, I decided to purchase a hat that was meant to be worn sans harness. In my mind, it would be safer since it has a really low profile, & would stay on better. I know, I know, I am a genius. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Anyway, I have been riding in that very hat since. My rationale has always been that I trust my horse & I have been riding long enough that falls are few and far between (knock on wood). I am getting smarter by the minute!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

For awhile now, I have been contemplating getting an approved. And thanks to ya'll, I am motivated to do so!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Anything can happen, at any time, to anyone- this is my new motto!! There is a chance that my trusty steed could hang a leg and fall on me tomorrow & I want to be alive so that I can take care of him like he does me 99% of the time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Phew, I feel better now. Oh, I think I have decided to add my 2 cents:

Anyone who, gets up practically in the middle of the night to feed, hack, longe, braid, etc. before their 7 am class. OR . . .

skips out on parties, friends, studying, being with family, etc. to ride, feed, or check horses in rain/sleet/snow/etc. OR . . .

pinches pennies or eats macaroni every day just to take a lesson/have a horse/feed horses/etc. OR . . .

any of the other zillion thing that involve truly caring for animals . . .

DOES NOT DO THIS FOR FASHION!!!!!!!

The last thing on my mind when I enter the show ring is, "oh dear I am wearing the wrong hat!!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yeah, you did say run out, but whatever. Go ahead and wear your unapproved, see if I care /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

*EMMA*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Run out of a line as in move up.. Increase pace. Go faster. Kick. Go horse go.

And you are going to not care if I die? That's great. Fabulous. What a nice thing to tell someone.

-----

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:41 PM
I'm not fighting. I'm conversing on a BB. I don't fight online /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I hope you had fun picking apart my post. Now then-

EqChick- the point you can get is that if you want to be fashionable, wear an unapproved. If you want to be sure that your noggin is safe, wear an approved. You might never fall on your head, but if you do, it's there.

*EMMA*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi there pot, its the kettle.

-----

Bumpkin
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:43 PM
Your post shows you have a brain worth saving dear. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Bumpkin
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:52 PM

And you are going to not care if I die? That's great. Fabulous. What a nice thing to tell someone.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I shall use my Prayers and good thoughts for those who are living in the Maryland, DC, Virginia area instead of people who prefer to not wear a safety helmet.
Cheers.
JMHO /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chrissy
Oct. 22, 2002, 09:55 PM
And I have probably tried EVERY one on. To repeat a much repeated statement: Buy what fits! Some people swear by the comfort of the GPA/ATH's. Other say they were in pain the moment they put them on and shudder in fear at the sight of them. One person will bash the Troxels and the next will swear by them, same w/ International and Charles Owen. Find a GOOD tack store employee who knows how to really FIT a helmet and try on EVERYTHING. Have a mirror handy as the profiles of helmets are amazingly different. Good Luck, and bless you for making such a great (life changing?) choice.

On with the List:

By Troxel: Sizing is all S,M,L, or XL in some.

Grand Prix Gold II Show Helmet: Plain velvet approved, tan leather harness (the "in" thing at the moment.) I have the Original Grand Prix Gold as a "back up" helmet. Pretty comfortable but basic. $79.95

Grand Prix Exeter: Lower profile than the GPGII, my personal observation anyhow. Supposedly more ventilated, and more "cushy" than the GPGII w/ more size adjustability. Also $129.00. BUT they do come in BROWN velvet! (On the Dover website the Brown Exeters are only $99.00)

Victory: Economy model, velveteen, plain black nylon harness. Have not seen it in stores so no personal opinions on this one! $59.95

By International:

ATH- The Knockoff GPA. Reasonably priced at $109.90. This is my show helmet and I love it dearly. Was tight at first but after 2 rides it "molded to my head" as was promised by my wonderful local tack store owner. Paula @ The Rusty Stirrup here in FL, she is the helmet guru, e-mail her if you want to know ANYTHING about helmets. www.rustystirrup.com (http://www.rustystirrup.com). Only available in a suedey black w/silver stripe in the catalogs, I believe you can now get it in the black velvet though. Only problem with them- S,M,L sizing. Some people are in-betweenies and need a specific size.

International AV- "Air Vent" New to the international line, Looks low-profile and advertised as lightweight. Popular tan leather harness. XS, S, M, and L. $99.70 Available in Velveteen, $69.70.

Pro-Rider II- Looks like the AV, available in clear harness AND tan leather harness. Contoured cut & different harness (looks like a regular one to me though) make it cool according to the write up. But, ah ha, here is the pro for this one, available in sizes 6 1/2-7 5/8. $93.80

Lightweight Helmet- Its light. 13 oz to be specific.Tan harness. Sizes 6 1/2 to 7 5/8. $89.70

By Charles Owen:

The Hampton- Low, low profile. Looked funky on me, and it didnt cover enough of my skull to make me feel safe. BUT, on my smaller headed friend it fit completely different and looked great! AND you can get it in SOOOO many colors. Thier traditional black velvet is beautiful, and the tan leather harness is deerskin and looks more sophisticated than the Troxel and International helmets. $184.70, sizes 6 1/2 to 7 1/2. ( All CO helmets are specific sizing)

John Whitiker- Italian velvet, super luxurious looking helmet. Again, looked goofy on me. Same cool harness in a different (darker?) leather. Only in black according to Dover, but that is probably all they stock. $239.70. Wonder why you pay more for this one? Anyone have an idea?

Showjumper- This aint no low profile helmet. "Traditionally styled huntcap" covers most of your skull. Looks good on a select few. Looks ok on some. Looks terrible on most. But you can get it in a bunch of colors, and The Rusty Stirrup has them marked down if it DOES look ok on you. $184.70.

AND, The GPA.- $299.90. The "in" helmet. Well vented, cushy, odd looking but has been embraced by a lot of people of late. Black Suede, Navy Suede, or black velvet, complete with odd harness that you can wear a pony tail with (coordinating ribbon optional) or easily tuck it under the harness. Colored stripe optional. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif If you have the money, go for it. You will be both "cool" and "stylish" at the same time. Sizes 6 1/2 to 7 5/8. Did I mention it was $299.90? Just making sure!

Please add to this list if you know of any more approved helmets available. I left off schooling-type and eventing helmets because I figured rockstar was looking for a helmet suitable for schooling and hunter/jumper shows. Whew, this is probably my longest post ever. Hope it is marginally useful.

(To top off this already too long post I have added a picture of the Troxel Grand Prix Gold, my backup show helmet.)
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Common sense aint so common.

Bumpkin
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:00 PM
Thank you for all the information /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chrissy
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:00 PM
The much loved International ATH. Too cool for words, I know.

Southern Sister
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:04 PM
Your post was very useful!! I even printed it out to help me with my search for the perfect approved helmet.

I may even splurge . . . hey, you can't put a price on your noggin!!! GPA here I come!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Bumpkin- I am a blonde, so I guess it takes me awhile!! LOL!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Chrissy
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:16 PM
If you DO go for the GPA, make sure and tell the BB ALL about it. Complete with pictures of course! And by the way, I think it is so awesome that you are switching. I love your horse so much (from the pictures you have posted!) and think ANY type of approved will just make a pair as nice as you two even nicer.

RolexH
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:29 PM
LOL I told you this would happen! I have been posting on this BB for 2 1/2 years. (sad but true /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) These helmet threads are famous for getting wayyyyy out of hand. (and off the topic Darkerhorse and Emma.. call a truce!) Honestly what you asked about the helmets it a fair question. I think that everyone needs to take the fighting out of this topic. Have a little respect for the people who are actually trying to gather information.

~~Lisa~~
Save a life, be an organ donor

Southern Sister
Oct. 22, 2002, 10:35 PM
Thank you so much! That was such a nice thing to say- you made my day!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Do you think a leopard striped GPA will complement me & my lovely chesnut? Oooh, I cannot wait to tell trainer so I can see his eyes go /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif!!

I will post pics ASAP. Yep, I think the leopard stripe will complement my new half chaps with baby leopard trim!!

Founder of the gaudy (but safe) amateur clique!!

DarkerHorse
Oct. 22, 2002, 11:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I shall use my Prayers and good thoughts for those who are living in the Maryland, DC, Virginia area instead of people who prefer to not wear a safety helmet.
Cheers.
JMHO /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a slightly off topic question which came to me while I was thinking of some smug retort to this post- which I coudn't think of /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif woah, that's a first- anway. (Ok another ADD momment. That is so grammarly correct, but its kinda funny sounding so i'm going to keep it).

Ok, my question. How many of you always wear your seat belt? I always wear mine, yet I do my unapproved hat. I don't know why. I just do. Why do some of you wear approved hats and no seat belts in your car?

-----

Xanthoria
Oct. 22, 2002, 11:37 PM
Darkerhorse, I can honestly say I do not know anyone who rides in a car without a seatbelt - unless you mean in the back seat? (I'd say 50% of the people I know wear belts in the back) Please clarify - do people really drive or sit up front with no restraints on?

What is the logic?

DarkerHorse
Oct. 23, 2002, 02:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Xanthoria:
Darkerhorse, I can honestly say I do not know anyone who rides in a car without a seatbelt - unless you mean in the back seat? (I'd say 50% of the people I know wear belts in the back) Please clarify - do people really drive or sit up front with no restraints on?

What is the logic?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the logic of not wearing a seatbelt? None. And I did mean back seats too. It is just as important, well, kinda.

I'm just....
Sliding through life on charm?

forums.catchride.com

caffeinated
Oct. 23, 2002, 05:27 AM
I can't believe how out of control this thread got!

Anyway, I did it. Because of this conversation (the first 4 pages anyway) I went to the tack shop last night and bought a hat (and tried on boots, and got new boots, thanks guys, now I'm poor!). I ended up with the Charles Owen hampton in navy blue. I like it /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I REALLY liked the Whitaker helmet- it has this stretchy cushy stuff that covers the back lower part of the skull, and would have been amazingly comfortable if they had it in my size. And it looks really cool, too, I think- so if anybody's looking I'd recommend that one.

The showjumper hat just felt funny- I actually didn't mind the profile as much as I thought I would but the hat was too round for my head- felt pressure on my forehead and back of head but there were gaps on the sides. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I will probably get the whitaker eventually, actually, but I needed something for this weekend and didn't want to wait the two weeks for it to come in. (yeesh i'm impulsive).

So yes, because of you guys I'm out lots of money now because once I got the hat I figured what the heck I'll try on new boots too, won't buy them, but then found a pair that fit nearly perfectly and had to have them, and it's all your fault!

(i can rationalize with the best of them, huh?)

caffeinated
Oct. 23, 2002, 05:35 AM
What's the logic of not wearing a seatbelt? None. And I did mean back seats too. It is just as important, well, kinda.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know lots of people that don't wear seatbelts- their logic is that in case of an accident, the seatbelt could trap them. Which has happened- any EMT can tell you of car accidents where the driver might have been better off being thrown free of the car (even going through the windshield).

As for rear belts, if they are the lap variety they can do a lot of damage in an accident- without the chest strap, if there's an accident, lap belts are known to cause fatal injuries by actually cutting into the lower abdomen and causing organ damage. One photo I've seen of this showed a poor kid who was sliced open nearly to his his backbone by a lap belt.

So as crazy as it seems, there are recorded instances of occasions where seatbelts did more harm than good. And for the older people I know who grew up without seatbelt laws, those few instances are enough for them not to wear them.

I, on the other hand, feel naked without one and can't even start a car unless I'm buckled up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

trae
Oct. 23, 2002, 07:02 AM
I've been desperately going thru the pics everybody posted and can't find my Dover's catalog ...

but, do all approved hats have that narrow, narrow chin strap? What's the reasoning behind it?

My very first approved helmet (mid-80s which, didn't then but does now, look downright small compared to later generations) has a wide chin strap that snaps. My next approved (early 90s) has the horrible little, felt-like strap that feeds thru dee-rings. I aboslutely hated it because it was a b**** to adjust and wouldn't stay put. Plus it was uncomfortable as anything.

I really like the Internationals and COs but love a wider chin strap - what's up with that? Do any models have one?

Posting Trot
Oct. 23, 2002, 07:02 AM
I recently got the Charles Owen J. Whitaker model. I love it (or should I say loff it?) I think Bit of Britain has the best price on them, although I bought mine elsewhere and paid more.

It's very comfortable, and that cushy thingy at the back of the neck feels very nice. (I'm not sure what its function is exactly, but I like it). The Whitaker replaced my previous approved, the International Olympian (which I think is now called the Pro-Rider). The sizing of the two brands I found to be the same (I wear a 7 1/8 in both, and they both conform to the shape of my head). The Whitaker has a cushier feel, is cooler in hot weather, and is prettier; I marginally preferred the harness on the International though.

I had to replace my International because my lovely, sweet-tempered mare, who I was bringing back from a lay-off, decided to lay me off. A few bucks later, I ended up on the ground, butt first but with a resounding thump to my head/helmet. I had a map of Europe style bruise on my butt and lower back, but nary a headache.

lisa
Oct. 23, 2002, 07:30 AM

That's why I like the Ascot - it's still not approved, but looks good and seems safer than just shell.

Do you agree? I can't really afford a Patey or a GPA, so I need to find a good mix of all we've been discussing (safety, looks, and affordability).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it's safer than any other unapproved. If you want to justify buying it because it "seems safer", go ahead. But, really, it's not. I justified the price because it looks pretty. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Plus, it doesn't come with a chin strap.

Anyway, I really need to find a new approved. My daughter has the Int'l ATH and loves it. My hubby has the Troxel Exeter and loves it. The new Troxels don't fit me. Tried to COSJ2000 and hated it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Don't remember if I tried the Hampton. Want to try the Whitaker in gray. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

EqChick
Oct. 23, 2002, 07:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trae:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif That was so funny Trae! I think I've found another who shares my dilemma. This is going to be a weird experience I'm sure, but I think I'm ready to take the plunge. (Maybe I can come join you in the basement once in a while, though, ay?) I do think aduts should set an example. And I ride at a barn (today at least /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) with a lot of beginner kids. I already get at them for parking their crazy ponied right in front of me in the wash rack (wishing I had a helmet on THEN), so I shouldn't show a bad example elsewhere.

Which makes me think - why go for that oh-so-popular-Patey look when I can't afford it, don't really like the look, and it's not safe? I said before that I've had some serious falls in my day and hope to not revisit that ER trip again. I definitely think I'm going in the right direction now - keep in mind you guys, I was getting ready to go approved without all of your horror stories and scare tactics - that's why I started this thread. (And that's not directed to those of you who have honestly stated your opinion in a respectable manner - you know who you are - thank you.)

So seriously, let's keep the bickering out - it's just not fun to read and frankly a waste of everyone else's time. Let's all agree to be adults about this, because I think everyone recognizes that it's a hot topic and it's important.

So - I'm going to try to go to the tack store tonight for more fittings. I'm going to look at the Internatinal ATH - possibly a GPA (although my credit card would never forgive me for it), and more of the Charles Owens' - I just like the leather on their leather harnesses. They really are nice quality.

I will dutifully report back. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

french
Oct. 23, 2002, 07:34 AM
I show at local and A shows. Until this year, I wore an unapproved. I felt the approveds DESTROYED the elegant look we strive for. Then I read a comment about an unapproved being like a velvet salad bowl on the head. -I would lie in bed the night before a show and think about my precious 3 year old son and the guilt I would feel if I got a head injury that might have been prevented with an approved.

I bought a CO Hampton and I've gotten very comfortable with it.

As for other adults wearing approveds, in the 10/18 issue of the COTH there's a great picture of Parris Collins in the A/O's wearing a GPA.

EqChick
Oct. 23, 2002, 07:36 AM
Okay you guys - below is the response I got from CO. PLEASE do not get upset, this is INFORMATION - not an argument!!! It sounds to me like the Ascot is hard and cushiony, but not enough cushion to stop the brain as much as ASTM regulations require. Do you guys get that from this response?

Again - this is INFO - please don't attack, the company was very nice to reply to my inquiry so quickly and honestly.

From Charles Owen:
"In fear of digging myself a legal pit, here we go :

In the beginning, the major reason for wearing a hard hat was to stop skull
fracture . We succeeded but people still died at a high rate . So the doctors
discovered that the problem was not just skull fracture , but bruising of the
brain. You will know that bruised parts swell and the brain does just that. The
problem is that the brain is encased in bone and so the swelling just causes
death to the rest of the brain. So approved helmets cushion the blow to prevent
the brain bruising and then swelling. This requires stopping distance to stop
the brain slamming into the inside of the skull when you hit the ground. If you
are a car driver, you will know that the faster you go, the greater the
distance to stop. The important distance in horse riding is the distance from
the ground from which you fall . From a 15 hand mount, you hit the ground at 13
mph without the horse moving . There is 5/8 inch stopping distance built into
the helmet. Not much distance when you consider the task.

I hope this goes someway in explaining why helmets are bigger . At Charles
Owen, we just spend all our time trying to reduce that distance to a minimum to
the eye and make sure the helmet fits right.

Thank you for your interest."

EqChick
Oct. 23, 2002, 08:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisa:
I don't think it's safer than any other unapproved. If you want to justify buying it because it "seems safer", go ahead. But, really, it's not. I justified the price because it looks pretty. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Plus, it doesn't come with a chin strap.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah - I think I'm coming to the same conclusion - that I might be deluding myself that it's in between the ASTM's and the FAO's. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif The one I tried on did have a chin strap, though - a really nice leather one. That's one of the things I liked most about it! Are we talking about the same one?

lisa
Oct. 23, 2002, 08:32 AM
I've had mine for a few years, so maybe they added one.

Everytime I put it on at a show, my hubby and daughter comment on my lack of good sense. So I need to take the plunge and stop being a hypocrite.

DMK
Oct. 23, 2002, 10:38 AM
Coreene, you I know loff you dahlink, but I can't get too worked up about C. Boylen's observation regarding velvet approved helmets.

I mean it's not like she was dissing approveds, she was just saying that the GPA appeared to be more fashionable at certain shows (that pretty much tracks my observations too). Hard to see what the big deal is. If you like being fashionable, now you know what to do. If you like being independent, slap on a show bow and rust breeches along with your velvet approved and go show the world you are a free spirit who cares more about your head than others. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Bottom line is you have an approved on, right? I can't think it's worth the energy to care about more than that. Of course this comes from a person who likes to be fashionable, but mostly doesn't care what others think, so this may make me an odd duck.

Bumpkin, given that you are qualifying your prayers these days, I'll do you a favor - just in case I showed up in them, I'll let you free up my "slot." I know it can get tough when we have to start prioritizing everyone's worth.

I thought I read about insurance rates going up as it relates to catastrophic injuries (but now I don't know where I read it). That is simply not based in any fact. I can tell you that the sum total of catastrophic injuries doesn't even rate a second glance to all those people who develop health insurance rates. It's not even a quantifiable number. Your health insurance rates go up in general because of a massively f***ed up health care economy, the increase in chronic disease (diabetes, chf, etc.) and in particular because of the increase in what is known as "quality of living" improvements.

QoL improvements mean they don't necessarily save your life or cure you from disease, they just make your life or your chronic illness more comfortable. Viagra, birth control patches, sophisticated insulin delivery systems, advances in treating chronic back pain, virtually every arthritis drug on the market, and menopause treatment options are VERY quantifiable expenses and effect your insurance rates. If anything the advances in treating catastrophic injuries has reduced the overall cost impact on the health care system.

In either event, your decision to smoke, drink or engage in an unhealthy diet has a far greater impact on your health insurance rates than not wearing a helmet/approved helmet in various athletic activities.

But we are a nation of people who believe we have the right to make personal decisions, even if that means we eat ourselves into CHF or diabetes, drink ourselves into a new liver, smoke ourselves right out of our lungs, or ride a bike or horse without a helmet. It's all russian roulette when you get right down to it.

Coreene
Oct. 23, 2002, 10:47 AM
I just took great exception to a comment which I found to be exceptionally elitist.

And, as you know, when it comes to helmets I can dig in my heels better than any bull doggin' cowboy I know.

And I loff loff loff everyone who made the switch.

fleur
Oct. 23, 2002, 11:00 AM
Just to clarify two things:

1) I don't want you to die, obviously. But if you are going to make the choice to wear an unapproved helmet, then you are set in that and I don't care enough to try to dissuade you further. If you were a good friend of mine, then yes, I would care, but honestly? I'll never meet you and you'll never meet me, so what you do with your head doesn't concern me.

2) About my comment to EqChick - I in no way condone not wearing an approved, but like I said, that's the point she can get from this thread.

Truce??

*EMMA*

rockstarr
Oct. 23, 2002, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:

If you like being independent, slap on a show bow and rust breeches along with your velvet approved ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh snap! Don't make me bring the smackdown to All Ye Who Diss Rust, DMK! Then you'll REALLY see some wrasslin'. - LOL! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

DMK
Oct. 23, 2002, 11:48 AM
Ooooh, I live in fear! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

(Hey, as a red head, I have to fight the good fight against rust. If it ever makes a real resurgance I am doomed to look like death warmed over in the ring. Bad enough I ride like that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

I dunno correene, I think I would be shocked, shocked I say, to learn that there might be elitism in a sport that evolved from the nobility's God Given Right to destroy their peasant's fields in pursuit of pleasure. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Coreene
Oct. 23, 2002, 12:23 PM
Go slap your happy ass into some rust breeches, brown field boots, a show bow and a brown velvet helmet, take a picture of yourself, write ELITIST on the bottom, go full cry hell bent for leather across some farmer's field, have a gin and tonic and call me in the morning.

Ahahahahahaha.

Anyhow. You know exactly what I meant about that comment. Thinking that someone does not belong because they are wearing a velvet helmet is shallow. To share it is elitist, because although it was just that poster's opinion, too many people take so many posts as gospel and I would hate to think that someone would feel obligated to spend $300 on a helmet because a BBer made her think that if she did not, she would look like an outsider. Blow that.

Still loffing you.

rockstar
Oct. 23, 2002, 12:33 PM
Chrissy… YOU are a rockstar!!!

That will be of tremendous help I think. So, here is what I have gleaned… please correct me if I’m wrong…

To best fit in on the circuit if you insist on wearing an approved, go GPA. If you can spend more than $100 but can’t afford a GPA, go for Charles Owen (the Hampton or the Whitaker) or the International ATH, depending on what look suites you best and is the most comfortable. Apperantly, compared to the rest of the approved helmet lot, the Charles Owen is the closest thing to an unapproved, traditional hat but is ACTUALLY less en vogue right now than the uglier, less traditional looking GPA.

Is this correct more or less?

And here’s my question, on the GPA and the International ATH… do they only have black canvas straps? You can’t get tan leather like the Charles Owen? Or even if you can, does no one have them with tan and does everyone wear the black anyway?? I'm with Trae in that, even if I could stomach wearing the look of the GPA or the International ATH, I don’t know if I could sport any kind of BLACK, non leather strap… it just goes TOO much against the look I love.

Although, I suppose, Chanda’s argument that, if you’re going to stray from tradition, you minus well go all the way (ie, ugly bubble hats with black straps and stripes), does make sense!!

Vote November 5th!!!

AAJumper
Oct. 23, 2002, 12:43 PM

Anyhow. You know exactly what I meant about that comment. Thinking that someone does not belong because they are wearing a velvet helmet is shallow. To share it is elitist, because although it was just that poster's opinion, too many people take so many posts as gospel and I would hate to think that someone would feel obligated to spend $300 on a helmet because a BBer made her think that if she did not, she would look like an outsider. Blow that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coreene, I totally agree with you. In my mind, it is one thing to say that you don't see that many approved helmets at the shows...it's a whole other thing to then make the comment that wearing one makes you look like you don't belong. I agree that the comment is elitist, and I don't buy the argument that they are just stating the truth. That comment is only one person's opinion, certainly NOT a fact.

jackie
Oct. 23, 2002, 12:51 PM
I got an approved helmet to show in and I am long past being a junior- I figure if I get hurt on a horse as long as my brain still works there is a chance I will have a job-plus, from a distance, with a big helmet on people will think your a junior-when was the last time that happened?

EqChick
Oct. 23, 2002, 12:53 PM
I do have a question about the molded harnesses - do you guys still wear your hair the same way with it? It looks to come down further in back (which makes a lot of safely sense to me), does that mess with your hair a lot?

Hate to say it, but this one is important to me - this comes from someone who SCHOOLS (every ride) with hair correctly up in helmet WITH hairnet.

Any suggestions appreciated!

EqChick
Oct. 23, 2002, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackie:
-plus, from a distance, with a big helmet on people will think your a junior-when was the last time that happened?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, Jackie, I was thinking the same thing today at lunch! I am in the "Younger" adult section, so if people see me in an approved and think "Oh, she must have just come out of the Juniors" maybe that's a good thing?

Maybe I'll tell everyone at new barn my nickname is Maggie, too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif LOL!

MAD
Oct. 23, 2002, 06:08 PM
Approved Helmet.
Seat Belts and Airbags.
Belts and Suspenders.

fleur
Oct. 23, 2002, 07:13 PM
I do my hair sort of the same (for lessons, since I don't show). I put it in a low ponytail, flip it up over the back of my head and behind my ears, then put a hairnet on, then the helmet with only the knot of my ponytail sticking out (the lady at the tack shop said it fits incorrectly if you wear it with the knot in).

*EMMA*

AAJumper
Oct. 23, 2002, 10:03 PM
Ok, my question. How many of you always wear your seat belt? I always wear mine, yet I do my unapproved hat. I don't know why. I just do. Why do some of you wear approved hats and no seat belts in your car?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always wear my seatbelt. I have since the day I saw Red Asphalt in driver's ed. Plus, it is the law in CA that you have to wear your seatbelt. Perhaps they should make a law that you have to wear approved helmets? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

trae
Oct. 24, 2002, 08:16 AM
approved helmet (tastefully appointed) yes; ponytail no. That's one I care to never revisit - I was a ponytail 'don't' back in the day. Looked like the character in the movie 'Rock Star...' All I was missing was 'AC' and 'DC' markered on my horse's knees.

Hopefully that will scare some of you straight!

It took me a long time to get the hang of doing my hair without it becoming a major construction project and I'm never going back.

Those saying "if it takes a fad" to get people into approveds are right but what about the other on-going dialogue concerning improperly fastened chin straps? That's flying in the face of the whole point. Somewhere, I have a few shots of me in an approved (the hated second one), ponytail and all, with a similarly adjusted chin strap. It was only that way 'cause it worked its way loose thru the dee-rings and I couldn't stop in the middle of a class to fix it. With these new and improved approveds, I somehow doubt people have the same excuse.

Speaking of seatbelts and helmets and harnesses, anyone see the new mini-van commercial where mom and dad go to pick their homesick kid up at the barn? Kid climbs in and buckles up but appears to be sporting a helmet sans harness.

rockstarr
Oct. 24, 2002, 08:27 AM
I've seen that spot ... hilarious! Like the people who wear their graduation caps pointing toward the sky, so their poofy bangs will show, it makes me want to grab it and adjust it. LOL!

just2hi
Oct. 24, 2002, 09:10 AM
and I wouldn't think of showing with out it! It's saved my but a couple of times.

~It's better to be alive then dead~