PDA

View Full Version : "Dated" riders - new thread

hillary
Jan. 5, 2001, 11:25 AM
Guys - 10 pages and counting.......think we need a new thread!

I did not not show for a few decades and was very surprised that most of the shows are gone from the fairs. Merry's post really brought this back for me.

I loved having the shows with western and saddleseat. What an education! Not many formats today where any of these riders mingle. What a shame. And showing at the fairs was really participating in an "event" - nights especially. Loved the recount of all the applause and the horse bolting - too funny. I had the experience of waiting for a class at the fair and my friend from school drove up with his welsh pony (roadster cart). My green hunter took one look and backed up about 40 feet in 5 seconds! Heads up indeed!

I think the lack of a jog at the end of the class is also a loss. There is little that can compete with the thrill of getting called out first and jogging into the ring at the head of the line.

hillary
Jan. 5, 2001, 11:25 AM
Guys - 10 pages and counting.......think we need a new thread!

I did not not show for a few decades and was very surprised that most of the shows are gone from the fairs. Merry's post really brought this back for me.

I loved having the shows with western and saddleseat. What an education! Not many formats today where any of these riders mingle. What a shame. And showing at the fairs was really participating in an "event" - nights especially. Loved the recount of all the applause and the horse bolting - too funny. I had the experience of waiting for a class at the fair and my friend from school drove up with his welsh pony (roadster cart). My green hunter took one look and backed up about 40 feet in 5 seconds! Heads up indeed!

I think the lack of a jog at the end of the class is also a loss. There is little that can compete with the thrill of getting called out first and jogging into the ring at the head of the line.

HN73
Jan. 5, 2001, 11:36 AM
Can I beg and plead for pictures on this thread? I love all of the old pictures...

JB
Jan. 5, 2001, 11:43 AM
speaking of "combo" shows - we have an Easter show very near by every year. Some days have draft pulls, Mule pulls, WP, saddleseat, etc. Hunters go on Saturday, but so do barrel racers and roadsters. I took JB one year for the heck of it. I was scared out of my mind that he'd take one look at the carts and just, well, LEAVE! One came zipping by us, and JB hardly blinked. In fact, he wasn't blinking at all. He was STARING at the barrel racers going round and round those barrels - not blowing or snorting or any of that scaredy-cat stuff, but it took all my strength to turn him away from it! Maybe it's his calling? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cactuskate
Jan. 5, 2001, 11:44 AM
Harking back to the early 80's and Oregon State Fair. The warm up area for the H/J's was in an area that shared a common fence with the race track. They also had the race meet going at the same time. Needless to say there were many of the ex-racehorse TB's that stayed home from that one.

Every once in awhile they would have the length of race that required them to put the gate way back there. Interesting sensation as you are galloping your inclined-to-stop-anyway mare down to a schooling oxer and hear the clanging of the starting gate and the thunder of hooves. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

And I can't believe I lived to tell /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The gated classes were a trip to watch. And the same lovely mare would have nothing to do with anything w/wheels attached to it. We, too, had some interesting clear-the-area moments.

Ah the good ol' days. Yah right! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

mo jo
Jan. 5, 2001, 11:48 AM
I was going to post this on the other thread but it was so long I figured I'd post it on this new one. Here is a picture of Marie on Snicklefritz in 1976 at The Garden. It was the first year she showed him there. Remember the other great horses she had, War Apple, Toy Soldier, Ninth Wave. All of those horses were before Snicklefritz, Homegrown and the numerous others that she had. War Apple was the first horse she began showing.

Xani
Jan. 5, 2001, 11:52 AM
Here iz a picture of Colyn frum Blowing Rock in 1985. I wuz only 5 then hehe! She wuz sew in debt 2 her trainer, that she had 2 sell her pony, truck and trailer and ride a hog home. Glad she dyed her hair back 2 black.

hoopoe
Jan. 5, 2001, 11:55 AM
So CactusKate did you ever come up to the LWSC 4th of July open show? English Western Saddleseat H/J, driving all at one showground, Bridle Trails State Park in Kirkland Washington. Sometimes we used the arena at Central Park Stables. This, to my knowledge, was one of the last of the recognized AHSA open shows. We last held on in 1985 or 6 if I remember. By then it had split out to H/J one weekend ( 3 or 4 days) then western and "other thans" on the following weekend for three days.

Not so unusual? The state park only has one large arena, uncovered and two warm up rings.

This used to be one of the largest shows in the region and during the late 60's it was not unusual for riders to come down from Canada and up from Oregon for it. Portable stabling in the parking lot with overflow to the neighborhood barns and people would hack in.

Clearly remember Laura Tidball (Baliski) winning the medal there as a junior.

Now all that remains is two "C" rated hunter shows in May and June.

Canter
Jan. 5, 2001, 12:08 PM
I ALWAYS loved Bill Steinkraus' horse Snowbound, but what was the name of that gray he used to show? Was it the Minstrel??

lauriep
Jan. 5, 2001, 12:51 PM
It was Bold Minstrel.

Merry, I worked in CA for about 9 months in 1975, worked for Leon Butts at Kaleidoscope and then for Max Bonham at Coto de Caza. Had completely forgotten the portable jump thing, but yes gang! That is exactly what you did out there - set up your portable jump(s) or whatever you had and do you schooling in the barn aisle.\

BTW, schooling in the barn aisle took on an entirely new meaning at the '80 World Cup in Gothenburg when Katie and Jonesy were so close to winning. You can imagine George and all other trainers/riders helping "school" Jonesy on a rubber mat about 20' long, one small jump brought in from ???? With three of us stationed outside to "guard." It was too funny.

Laurie

Dementia 13
Jan. 5, 2001, 12:51 PM
Could it be Bold Minstrel who showed in working hunter as well as open jumper? At least I think he did.

Does anyone have any pictures of Early Light? If so, I would love to see them.

Canter
Jan. 5, 2001, 12:53 PM
Yes it was Bold Minstrel. Loved the dapples on that horse!!

Does anyone remember Sympatico? He was pretty incredible too.

Bumpkin
Jan. 5, 2001, 01:19 PM
We use to do that show, along with Nile at Central Park Stables, Sterling, Yakima etc...
Richard Keller use to bring horses up from California and Twinkie Nissan even would come up.
Whatever happened to Four Winds Farm that Richard Keller trained for?
I remember the year Lasma Arabians came and some other big California stable and the actor/singer Bruce Davidson was there, haha.
And the first year I showed my green horse "Bumpkin" in the Hunter Hack class which was scheduled after the Pony Chuck Wagon races. It was the wildest Hunter Hack class in history, no one looked relaxed or calm. haha
Now that I am starting over and not caring if the shows are A or B but fun, I look forward to jumping in the Bridle Trails State Park arena. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

ccoronios
Jan. 5, 2001, 01:33 PM
Yes, after Bold Minstrel retired (from showjumping AND eventing, if I'm not mistaken??), Bill ?'s wife showed him A/O hunters... Had to laugh at one show (Camden, if I'm not mistaken) - on of her first shows over fences, studying the course - and that great old gelding was standing there, gave it a quick once-over with the expression "Don't worry - I've got it..."
He was one of my most favorites....

hoopoe
Jan. 5, 2001, 01:39 PM
Bumpkin, We have the two "C" rated shows this supring/summer. I will see you at the June one for sure. I think we have talked about form over fences. I will be around with my binoculars, so check in and make yourself known. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I hope the cook shack is up to the usual yummy standard again this year.

Beezer
Jan. 5, 2001, 02:13 PM
Oh, Max Bonham was the greatest! We felt we'd finally "arrived" when Max came on the scene. A real big-name East Coaster! He was a real kick, too. I can still remember him out on the old cross-country course Coto had at the time (before it was taken over by houses), alternately chasing horses and kids over the jumps and then flagging them down on the all-out run back to the barns. And having been one of said kids (though I never had the pleasure of riding with him, he was always willing to help anyone out on course), I can honestly say those were some of the most hair-raising, amazingly FUN rides I ever had.

It was years before Coto de Caza came into its own as a full-fledged equestrian center, but Max certainly set it on its way. Caroline Bonham still trains there. His son -- Michael, I think?? -- was a wonderful rider too; he was out here for a good while, but no longer. Anyone know what happened to him?

As for the multi-discipline shows ... I really miss those too. Grand fun they were. And not sure whether it was mentioned on this thread or the other old-timer one, but yes, the shows held on or near the racetracks -- or "runways" as my old trainer used to call them. Because that's what my horse and I used to turn them into. I'll leave it to my sister, Merry, to tell the tale sometime of one of my and the real Beezer's more, ahem, MEMORABLE turns around one of those tracks. We may have stampeded most of the warm-up ring.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

As the old song says, "Those were the days, my friend; we thought they'd never end" ... and how very sad that they eventually did. But what great days they were. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Weatherford
Jan. 5, 2001, 02:18 PM
incredible horse - the only horse to MEDAL in two different disciplines in modern times! (Eventing & Show Jumping) Mike Plumb rode him in Tokoyo when Mike's horse went beserk in the plane & had to be put down.

He was owned by Billy Haggard - who hunted him with the Essex when I was a kid! Then he moved to Camden where his wife hunted him. He also showed him as a hunter, evented, show jumped, etc. I consider him to be the greatest horse of the century - just a notch above my other favorite, Idle Dice.

If I can find a picture, I will post it.

wtywmn4
Jan. 5, 2001, 02:58 PM
Beezer, Michael is still around. He lives in either KS. or Ok. Finally got married and has 2 or 3 kids. Very happy from what I hear. Doesn't do alot with the horses any more, teaches here & there, no barn. Think he was Max's nephew. He was/is very talented. Still have the Hermes he sold me so long ago, it was practically new.

Chef Jade
Jan. 5, 2001, 02:59 PM
"I loved having the shows with western and saddleseat. What an education! "

My trainer shares a barn with a dressage/valuting and morgan trainer.

We will have saddleseat, roadsters, western, dressage, and a vaulting horse being longed in our indoor all at once. And the morgan trainer uses a whip with a plastic grocery bag tied to the end of it to spook her horse as they pass her to make them more animated. Not to mention at one end having 3 people on the longeing horse at the same time doing all sorts of acrobatics.

My 4 year old isn't into any of the above. But we did use the vaulter's practice barrels as a jump once!

Weatherford
Jan. 5, 2001, 06:57 PM
Circa 1966 or 1967 - we won, too! On a REAL outside course!

Justbay
Jan. 5, 2001, 07:12 PM
Great picture Weatherford, which one is you??

Bold Minstrel did it all didn't he? I wonder how Billy Haggard is doing....anyone know? Nicest kindest horseman...

Merry
Jan. 5, 2001, 07:20 PM
He was one of the first "real" horsemen we (my sister and I) rubbed elbows with. Caroline still teaches out at Coto; sat with her at the last GM clinic at the Oaks and we humorously mused why about a dozen clueless locals we could list weren't there, at least being exposed to some sort of method... any method... of horsemanship. Oh well...

Yes, lauriep, the days of schooling in barn aisles! My sister (Beezer) and I rode with Bob McDonald for years and the classic time was at Indio (Date Festival era) and Bob's barn was in the rows of palm trees. He put up his port-o-jump and felt compelled to decorate it, to sharpen up our horses before going in the ring. One time I turned back down the aisle at the canter, and Bob had pulled the aluminum foil off his sandwich and hung it on the pole! Yee-haw! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

And for the racetrack display, well, at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds there used to be a big arena on the grass of the infield. My sister decides she's going to "work off a little steam" from her AQHA gelding (17+ hands), so she traipses out to the track kind of tagging behind the last of the REAL fair track racehorses out for their morning works. A bit later, I'm tootling around, getting ready for the a.m. classes, and I hear this "thunder of hooves" and look up to see my sister and her--- hunter?--- breezing a furlong past the amazed racetrack people. What a sight to behold. I guess it worked as well as lungeing him /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Becca
Jan. 5, 2001, 08:03 PM
I LOVE that picture!

Merry
Jan. 5, 2001, 08:26 PM
BUMPKIN: Beezer and I didn't ride in the same barn as Gigi Gaston; she rode at Flintridge, where our trainer used to be an assistant (in more ways than one to Jimmy, if you get my drift, ahem). Gigi was a totally spoiled rich kid (Getty oil), but she just cracked me up! Something was always a tad askew with her. We rode in the same divisions, so you know how you start hanging out with your competitors, as long as they're not complete snobs/idiots? Anyway, I can't remember most of her horses, since they came and went so quickly, except her palomino pony, Lemon Drop.

But the best Gigi story came from Bob Hubbard, the commercial horse hauler. One day I was talking about kids I grew up riding with, and he told about how he hauled Gigi's string of horses back east with Flintridge (I assume along with Francie Steinwedell at that era) and Bob's comment was that Gigi and her mom were constantly embroiled in a fashion emergency, because Gigi absolutely could NOT wear the same coat/shirt/outfit more than once during a multi-day show. She just couldn't be seen in the same coat more than once. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And we wonder how we became so hung up on monograms and show bows and rust breeches? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

havaklu
Jan. 5, 2001, 09:24 PM
I want the plaid huntcoat!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lisi
Jan. 5, 2001, 09:44 PM
Hey Cactus! i know this is a reply to a post on the first page but about the Oregon State Fair, most of the barns that actually do the A circuit don't go there anymore. too tired of them losing entries, or holding jumper classes at 7:00 am when no one is watching, and miniture ponies in hand at noon when people want to watch, etc. just wondering, but did you used to ride in OR or something? who did you ride w/?

MBS
Jan. 6, 2001, 04:45 AM
I love those baggy breeches and is that your pony club thing on your hat?

Weatherford
Jan. 6, 2001, 04:58 AM
Me on the right - the baggy breeches were white cotton with a bib front and buttons at the knees that I inherited from a friend of my mom's. (The woman who had once owned them moved West and founded the Museum of the Horse (Cowboy?) out in AZ or NM). The pony I am on is the one that was CONSTANTLY carded, even though he was only 14.1 with shoes & heels!

Would it be fun if we all just plain started wearing plaid coats and velvet collars again? (Not that I ever had either, but....) Or at least follow the European trend of dark shirts with white collars & cuffs - ties or chokers.

Bet you, if you were neat and had a nice horse, the judges wouldn't even notice - or if they were old timers (like us) they would applaud!

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Weatherford
Jan. 6, 2001, 05:03 AM
This is the First Prize winner of the Horsemanship Class at the Spring Valley Horse Show, 1929. (age 12 or 13).

Can you see the resemblance? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What about that attire?

Weatherford
Jan. 6, 2001, 05:15 AM
still lives in NC and was paralyzed in an accident a few years ago. I haven't seen him since I was about 12, but one of out NC'ians posted about him last year. (Search doesn't seem to want to find the thread - sorry.)

LaurieB
Jan. 6, 2001, 07:42 AM
Weatherford, love the 1929 picture! What resemblance? Is that a relative?

Weatherford
Jan. 6, 2001, 08:23 AM
My Dad.

We even got him foxhunting with us when I was growing up - which was pretty darned brave of him considering he had had a horrendous head injury and had terrible balance and other problems that plagued him til he died.

I still have that trophy, too.

Here is another picture of an outside course - about 1969. Not one of the good courses - have to find those somewhere!

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Jan. 06, 2001 at 11:31 AM.]

spfarm
Jan. 6, 2001, 08:57 AM
Does anyone remember the Virginia State Horse Show that used to go on during the fair in Richmond? What a great show it was. It had all breeds there, including the walking horses, draft horses and western events. Jumper classes were at night and drew tremendous crowds! It was a great turnout every year and I'm not sure why it's no longer there. Wow, does that bring back some fond memories.

MHM
Jan. 6, 2001, 08:58 AM
You guys are having too much fun!

I may have to get a scanner as a late Christmas present. I have some similar pictures from that era of my mother showing, and we still use some of the trophies at holiday meals (trays, pitchers, etc.). Those were the days when they knew how to give out prizes.

Between those pictures and ones of my cat, the scanner would get plenty of use.

Merry
Jan. 6, 2001, 09:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Jumper classes were at night and drew tremendous crowds"-spfarm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... Maybe we're missing an opportunity again? It seems the evening performances at the Del Mar Fair and Cal State Fair always had large crowds,too in the grandstands. A captive audience! I'm not sure of the logistics, but why aren't more shows held during county/state fairs anymore? We're always complaining about getting spectators and new blood into our "sport". Maybe we should go back to this earlier form of entertainment?

MHM
Jan. 6, 2001, 09:33 AM
At the New York State Fair, there is a very diverse horse show with the whole variety pack of divisions. For years, very few h/j people would attend, largely because of the logistics- parking, security, crowds. It seemed there would always be a "fair family" (parents, screaming toddlers, baby stroller with balloons attached) underfoot as you were getting ready to show. There were also time constraints due to the huge number of divisions running in one ring.

Now they have built another ring near the edge of the fairgrounds which is much quieter since it's off the beaten path, and that's where the h/j divisions show. Huge improvement, which is reflected by the number of entries. There are still spectators, and kids who show can still wander over to the fair for entertainment, but it's not quite as mind-boggling for the hunters. There are some horses who find the ferris wheel distracting, but it feels much more like a normal show now. (But if you bring a young horse, be sure to pack your sense of humor.) The idea of a large crowd of spectators may sound like a good thing, but the reality can be problematic.

(Kudos to Naomi Blumenthal, the show manager, who does a great job there!)

[This message was edited by MHM on Jan. 06, 2001 at 07:39 PM.]

LaurieB
Jan. 6, 2001, 02:47 PM
I love the way you can see the smaller brush box in the background. Remember when outside courses would have three panels, one for small ponies, one for large ponies and one for horses? The jumps never had to be reset. You just went out and jumped your height.

Janet
Jan. 6, 2001, 03:02 PM
At one show (in North Salem) my horse swerved on the last stride, and took the pony side of the fence. I was sure I had been eliminated, but apparently it didn't show from where the judge was sitting, because I got third. I have a picture of me and him, with the ribbon, and he has his mouth open as if he is laughing.

LaurieB
Jan. 6, 2001, 03:08 PM
Okay, here's my outside course photo from 1969, Fairfield Horse Show. (Please overlook the riding style, I was 16, still on a large pony and trying to look small /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif )

wtywmn4
Jan. 6, 2001, 03:28 PM
Merry, have you seen Bob recently? He's still just like that /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif only slightly mellower. His wife won Gold in the Dressage, so we plastered her picture all over the show grounds last year, while he was there. He was whinning he just couldn't get away anymore, but enjoyed it immensely. It was quite an acomplishment. He's a great horseman.

Weatherford, there is a striking resemblance!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kryswyn
Jan. 7, 2001, 04:06 AM
I swear the AQHA used that photo, albeit beefing up the pony a bit, as their model for a poster I got in the mid '70s. They were free from the association if you wrote in. I swear it looked just like that!!!

Lord Helpus
Jan. 7, 2001, 04:51 AM
Weatherford, I bet your dad and my mom knew and competed agaisnt each other. Mom was riding saddlebred eq. at the same time your dad's picture was taken. She also grew up hunting with the Spring Valley Hounds (and the Essex Fox Hounds). Somehwere, buried away I have a number of pictures of her in the 30's and 40's showing hunt teams (a team of horses my grandfather bred: 3 identical ---full brothers-- bays. They won everything.)

Lord Helpus
Jan. 7, 2001, 05:44 AM
One more picture -- for now, LOL.

This is Lucky Y Not who has gone on to lasting fame as the dam of the wonderful ponies, Lucky Me and Lucky Too (and another one which does not have "Lucky" in the name, as I recall). She was about five in this picture and still very much a deep rose gray. Anyone who knew her in her later years will only remember a white horse (evidently). But when we sold her, she was still very pink.

Does anyone know the "Lucky" ponies? do they look like their mom?

Taken in the late '60's at Eastern States. PLEASE forgive the boots. It was during my freshman year at Smith and I had gained weight.... When it came time to show, I could NOT get my boots on, so I had to borrow this pair that were clunky and too short.....

I might also add that I was clearly not riding with Victor at this time --- my equitation has gone to hell in a handbasket, when compared to the MSG picture of 2 - 3 years earlier, (posted on the original thread..) I have always had the tendancy to duck (bigtime) and I was certainly caught doing it in this picture. Victor would have been appalled, after all his good work /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Weatherford
Jan. 7, 2001, 07:29 AM
The previous "memories" thread is available in Adobe Acrobat pdf format, complete with pictures, all 12 pages. If anyone wants it to read or whatever, email me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MHM
Jan. 7, 2001, 07:52 AM
Clifford C. Claven strikes again!

gray17htb
Jan. 7, 2001, 08:15 AM
Hey Weatherford, Awesome picture----wouldn't happen to be at the Rockland County Youth Fair......Would it?

LaurieB
Jan. 7, 2001, 08:54 AM
Kryswyn, you're kidding! The picture was taken by a local photographer in Westport, CT. I have a copy and it appeared in the COTH in a group ad the barn did. I had no idea it ever went anywhere else (you don't still happen to have a copy of the poster, do you?)

By the way, the pony was sired by Shalbourne Pendragon (Welsh pony) out of Amber (TB polo pony) No Quarter horse in her breeding at all.

LaurieB
Jan. 7, 2001, 09:02 AM
PamM, I love Lucky Me, she's an adorable pony. It's hard to tell from that picture if she looks like her dam or not, though. After breeding dogs for twenty years, I find sorting through old pedigrees fascinating.

Bumpkin
Jan. 7, 2001, 09:34 AM
I never met Gigi, maybe I have the name wrong as I guess I thought the person who sold the mare up here was more, "professional" /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Merry
Jan. 7, 2001, 11:07 AM
Bumpkin, for all I know, Gigi is now a "professional". She certainly racked up years of experience riding all sorts of different horses, and she's got to be financially independent, so she could afford to do the "horsey thang".

Twister
Jan. 7, 2001, 02:06 PM
Lord, Marie looks so young! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif She did love to talk to the spectators. She didn't let the faster course designs stop her, either! Just because the course ended at the ingate doesn't mean she had to circle and leave. I can remember her cantering to the end of the ring at Washington and walking back along the rail to say hello and chat with her friends.

Weatherford
Jan. 7, 2001, 05:19 PM
17htb - the bay horse pic was from St Bernards School show in NJ....

HossShoer
Jan. 7, 2001, 06:39 PM
This is at a local fair in 1964. Dandy was the type of pony that every kid should have.(Used to keep him in the stall next my 4-H calf.)Rode him everywhere bareback. This was the costume class. That's my dog sitting beside with a bowler hat on. It was gymkhanna day with a whole bunch of games similliar to pony club to day. I have thought of having a summer party for adults and their horses with a bunch of gymkhanna games to do. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HossShoer
Jan. 7, 2001, 07:10 PM
This about 1974 +/-. A 17 hh mare in the greens, I think because the fence does not look that big. She went on to show in the open working when the fences were or appeared to be all 4ft. 6in. She went to Virginia in 76. I showed her in one of the first hunter classics held in Ontario. The fences were awesome for a hunter class. The first 5 horses were jumpers that "converted" for the day.

NYHICA
Jan. 7, 2001, 10:59 PM
I am not 100% positive, but if my memory serves me correctly, I believe that I saw an old picture of Bold Minstral doing the hunters in a COTH in the last 6 or so months. I could be wrong with the time frame, but COTH is the only magazine that I look at. Possibly someone in their office could help.
Also, how does one include a photo on the board without having a web-site?

Bumpkin
Jan. 8, 2001, 07:10 AM
I wasn't even looking for it, but the photo of Bold Minstral jumping as a hunter is on page 6, of the June 16, 2000 issue.
It is a solid green 2 page spread advertising the National Show Hunter Hall of Fame 2000 Inductees.
Very nice pages, shows some great oldies, including Ellie-Wood Baxter and Barbara B. Davies. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

HossShoer
Jan. 8, 2001, 07:13 PM
If you think that this is a long cold snowy winter ,imagine how long it would be, if this was how you got around!! This is my grandfather with one of his drivers somewhere around 1920+/-. He owned a livery stable, traded horses and was a blacksmith in a small town just north of Toronto. I still have the fur coat. It's very warm and is still in good shape. I used to wear it to football games in university. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

ccoronios
Jan. 9, 2001, 09:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(Kudos to Naomi Blumenthal, the show manager, who does a great job there!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, at all her shows!

SoEasy
Jan. 13, 2001, 04:08 PM
so now you all get to see ...

Midnight Star was the QH we bought for my Mother to hack around ... after we got rid of the western saddle, turned out he could JUMP! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SoEasy
Jan. 13, 2001, 04:14 PM
King of the Hill ... our New Holland 'pony' who grew up to be a small horse ... and to win at small events, retire the Junior Hunter Championship Trophy at Pickering Hunter Trials and go to Devon in the Junior Hunters. Mom's note on the back of the photo said that the fences were 3'9" in 1971.

Weatherford
Jan. 13, 2001, 04:23 PM
Star looks great.

LaurieB
Jan. 13, 2001, 04:38 PM
So Easy, our barn used to go to the Pickering Horse and Pony Show every year in April. It was held in a beautiful location with a great outside course. Probably the same place (?)

SoEasy
Jan. 13, 2001, 04:57 PM
is the benefit for the Pony Club ... it used to be at Mrs. Streeters farm on Seven Oaks Road, lately is at the Ludwigs Corner Horse Show Grounds ... the Pickering Hunter Trials is a whole different thing. Put on by the Hunt to show off the field hunters, it is on one of the Detwilers farms off of Rt 113. The fence Star and I are jumping is the last or next to last of a course that is over a mile long, and includes a LONG downhill gallop across a huge field - what a rush! Longer ago, when King showed there, it was at the farm that now belongs to Harry and Marjorie Gill on Green Lane - it was then Josie Taylors place. WOW! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Duffy
Jan. 13, 2001, 05:00 PM
These "old" pictures are soooooo much fun to see! Thank you so much for posting them! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SoEasy
Jan. 13, 2001, 05:07 PM
You get to see the stadium jumping phase of the 1971 National PC Rally - I had my B for about a month before Regional, qualified for the Regional Team (back in those days, the winning Club Team from Regional Rally went to National. Our Club Team went in 1972 to Va. and 1973 to OMAHA - where we won /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ) This rally was held on the Firestones Estate in Ohio. I also just learned to drive a truck and trailer, so my mother and I loaded this mare, and my teammates appy stallion in the trailer, and drove for 6 hours. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif We had a blast back then!

Duffy
Jan. 13, 2001, 05:14 PM
Have ya'll checked out SoEasy's auto releases over THOSE jumps!!??? WOW!!!!

twototango
Jan. 15, 2001, 10:59 AM
Jimmy Bonham was Max and Nancy Bonham's son. Jimmy currently lives in Las Vegas and is doing course designs and other things. Max's wife Nancy is currently in a nursing home in Camden, SC suffering from painful arthritis/osteoporosis in her back. Hopefully she will regain enough mobility to return to her home in the hunt country. Max passed away quite some time ago now.

Lord Helpus
Jan. 15, 2001, 06:58 PM
So sorry to hear that Nancy is laid up. She was at all the big KHP shows this past summer with corgi's and shirt swatches.

I had not seen her in 20 some years (she had "Blossom" then) and I thought that she looked just great as recently as Sept..

And I am certainly impressed by SoEasy's release. This pic should go to a George Morris Clinic in PH and see what he says...

DMK
Jan. 15, 2001, 07:13 PM
Awesome pics, SoEasy!!!

More than likely, GM would have little georg-asms over the pics... auto releases? Be still my beating heart!!!!!

SoEasy
Jan. 15, 2001, 07:45 PM
for your kind words everyone!!

Caruso
Jan. 16, 2001, 11:29 AM
and wonderful auto release, head up and watching, perfect leg position, heels down, etc.

Hmm - do you still ride like that? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

(Do ANY of us?) LOL!

Catchrider
Jan. 16, 2001, 11:50 AM
Isn't if funny how back in the early years snow fence was an icon at horse shows? I remember hooking my pony's reins on the snow fence while I ate lunch /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SoEasy
Jan. 16, 2001, 03:54 PM
and I have a question!
This is me, early 80s at a hunter show at our barn in Chester County, PA. The horse I am riding was known as Willy - we raised him from a weanling.
Does anyone out there recognize him? LOL

April

Weatherford
Jan. 16, 2001, 06:28 PM
Do we need to think Louise Serio?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Twister
Jan. 17, 2001, 05:04 AM
I was thinking that I have no idea about the horse, but the guy in the background sure looks like David Orlando. Then I realized Davey O would be about five then! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Duffy
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:11 AM
This is me back in the summer of 1973 at Woodstock in Vermont showing one of my Aunt's yearling Connemara ponies in hand...

I was NOT showing much and was growing like crazy. The patent leather tops on the boots were NOT a fashion statement - they were to make the boots as tall as possible (obviously NOT tall enough)!! The jacket was bought at a tag sale, but it was a lovely color - much more "in" these days than it was back then! My shirt was probably the only thing that was purchased new. I loved it. It was made of a material called Viyella - almost a silky flannely feel. LOL And I monogrammed my own choker. (Yes, I was into monograms even back then /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ) And note the hair do! LOLOL Oh well. The filly won everything, so who cares, right? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kennett Square
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:36 AM
Duffy,

Lovely animal! I can see that those expensive debutante lessons paid off, you have perfected the Vanna stance. I think you should start a new career as a model! Between this picture and the ones I've seen from Middleburg National and Mosby's, You could be the next "new look". Hunter Chic but Model exotic......Ask for the big bucks and don't forget me and maybe a commission....LOL

SoEasy
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:47 AM
our Duffy has that look!

And I have no guesses on Willy!! It was not all that long ago that he was a top Junior Hunter! And Weatherford is right, we sold him to Derbydown/Louise Serio. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Duffy
Jan. 17, 2001, 07:49 AM
You're sooooo sweet! Awwwww shucks! Merci Beaucoup! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The image of me flipping letters, a la Vanna, is just too intimidating, I'm afraid! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But if Monty Hall or whoever makes the call, believe me, you're first on the list for a HUGE commission! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kennett Square
Jan. 17, 2001, 08:33 AM
So Easy,

Was that Amanda Lyerly's horse Just in Time(I think that was his name)?

SoEasy
Jan. 17, 2001, 08:40 AM
His name was Just In Case /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Such a nice boy.

LaurieB
Jan. 17, 2001, 09:51 AM
I love Connemaras. I have my eye on a really cute Connemara/TB weanling, but for some reason, my husband thinks one horse is enough. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

brilyntrip
Jan. 17, 2001, 10:38 AM
Yes yes Duffy that stance certainly does resemble Vanna!Do not apologize for the patent tops they were "de rigeur " at the time!!!!!Baaaaaaaby you are da tops!

VTrider
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:51 AM
Duffy...is that a model T Ford in the background??

LOLOL!! Love ya!!!

Electric Chair
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:55 AM
Sorry to disagree, VTRider, but I think it's a horse and buggy...

VTrider
Jan. 17, 2001, 11:56 AM
...or maybe a chariot?

Twister
Jan. 17, 2001, 12:47 PM
Wow, So easy, that was a while ago! I didn't recognize Willy. He was prretty small and I knew him when Amanda was in the Jrs.

The story I heard was her Mom bought him at a show her Dad (who was THE horse show Dad, used to lunge Devil's River and everything)didn't attend and Dad didn't speak to Mom for three days. He finally admitted Willy was a nice horse, however. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Weatherford
Jan. 19, 2001, 06:03 AM
Duffy, you really do have the LOOK! :roleyes:

So, when did you retire from modeling? LOL

Duffy
Jan. 19, 2001, 10:47 AM
How's this for informal attire! I didn't have a pony, so my sister and I improvised... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Duffy
Jan. 19, 2001, 10:57 AM
There was no way that hair was fitting up in her helmet. Duffy to the rescue! I even sewed braids back then. No pull-throughs for me! LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Electric Chair
Jan. 19, 2001, 11:01 AM
Duffy, is that VTRider before she became a blond?!

Duffy
Jan. 19, 2001, 11:08 AM
The horse's name was "Roy" This was, I believe, my great-grandmother. I'll post a really cool picture of Roy sans rider also. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Duffy
Jan. 19, 2001, 11:16 AM
Here is "Roy". The caption on the above pictures says: "Roy and his A.O.". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kryswyn
Jan. 21, 2001, 02:29 PM
Umm, Duffy, where was the 2nd "Roy" picture taken? Windsor Castle? Newport Rhode Island?

Seriously, great photos. You look so cute in the 'lads cap' in the braiding photo. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Janet
Jan. 21, 2001, 04:46 PM
Duffy, what is the name of the Connemara breeder? During the late 60s-early 70s I was familiar with quite a few Connemara breeders in the north east.

Duffy
Jan. 21, 2001, 05:24 PM
Hey Kryswyn! I dug up a few Teela-Wooket pictures, including one of Duffy! I'll email you those. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Actually, on one of the "Roy" pictures, it says Block Island, but it's below the lower picture of a sailboat, named "Iris"! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Hi Janet! My Aunt's farm is Tower Hill. She was in NH originally and is now in VT. She likes her Connemara's hardy, obviously! LOL The yearling filly pictured was Spring Ledge Tralee as Spring Ledge Farm was the breeder (home of Spring Ledge Bantry Bay). My aunt later got Whitewood Galway Bay, Bantry's father, as her first breeding stallion. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Duffy on Jan. 21, 2001 at 08:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by Duffy on Jan. 21, 2001 at 08:30 PM.]

Janet
Jan. 21, 2001, 06:29 PM
Thanks,
I didn't know Tower Hill, but I definitely knew Spring Ledge.
Landgate Farm is the one I knew/know best.

Duffy
Jan. 21, 2001, 06:35 PM
Hi Janet. Tower Hill was just started around 1972-1973. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

What ponies were at Landgate? I showed my Aunt's ponies for a few years at Woodstock, so maybe I knew of them.

Canter
Jan. 21, 2001, 06:59 PM
Duffy - Is that a side-saddle on "Roy"? Doesn't he look like the perfect gentlemen - exactly what one would wish for in the side-saddle classes...I wish they'd bring 'em back - I used to love watching the "ladies" in their long skirts. It would be the perfect way to recycle some of my old ballgowns!!

Janet
Jan. 21, 2001, 07:03 PM
Landgate's (imported) foundation sire was Lystra Lad, and the original (imported)broodmare was Inver Gray.

Others that I remember are
Landgate Phoebe, Landgate Honeybear, Landgate Dark Moon, Landgate Northern Spy (TB xConn), Landgate Gray Brother, Landgate Minstrel Boy, Landgate Megan.

I think Phoebe went on to be another breeder's "main" broodmare.

Landgate started in MD (Olney maybe) (in the 60s) moved to Bedford, NY about '67, and is now in Millbrook, NY.

Mrs. Anne Frey, the owner, is one of the "inspectors" for the American Connemara group (Association? Society? I can never remember).

Duffy
Jan. 21, 2001, 07:07 PM
Although, knowing some of my ancestors, it certainly wouldn't surprise me to find out that some of those ladies rode astride! *gasp* /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Here are a couple more pictures of the now famous "Roy". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif