PDA

View Full Version : Saddle for Shark Fins

nuevaburro
May. 9, 2012, 08:05 AM
Any suggestions on saddles for a shark fin OTTB? Doesn't need to be nice unless it is adjustable and has wool flocking, since we will be putting on a lot of muscle.

Here he is:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/303348_10101340536381227_8639239_68353849_19426484 87_n.jpg

Melissa.Van Doren
May. 9, 2012, 08:29 AM
The PDS Showtime with Alto panels is made for the horse with high withers/low back. The panels are thicker than usual, which puts a back where there isn't one - more level with the withers and croup. It also has gussets at the front to fill in the hollows on either side of the withers. Despite all the padding, it doesn't feel like you're sitting a mile above your horse. *Very* comfy for the rider, too.

http://www.pessoasaddles.com/home.html

http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet/the-3233/ANKY%E2%84%A2-Remy-Carriat-Dressage/Detail

GallantGesture
May. 9, 2012, 11:30 AM
I have had good luck with both an Albion K2 Genesis (adjustable by saddle fitter) with the high head (for high wither clearance) as well as my Wintec Isabell with narrow gullet plate installed. Both saddles clear the withers well, the Isabell seems to sit a little better on a more curvy back, but that might just be the way my Albion is flocked. When the saddle fitter came out to fit the Albion, I had her look at the Isabell as well (I have two large-withered tb's) and she was surprised by how well it fit, especially since there was nothing off the shelf in the tack shop that came close!

Also, as they are changing weight and muscle, I have really appreciated my Fleeceworks Perfect Balance pad. It has front only inserts, full inserts, or rear inserts, thin or thick, all made with memory foam that is super comfy to sit on and kind to a developing back. Now that my boy doesn't need all that much padding, I made my own thinner shim to fit in the pad. It's been a really nice pad that gives me a lot of flexibility to get the saddle sitting just right as my horse changed. Good luck, it can be a bit of a challenge to find a dressage saddle to fit these ottb's!

Renaissance Lady
May. 9, 2012, 12:46 PM
I just joined this forum when I saw your Shark Fin question. I had had the same problem with my high, thin withered OTTB. I had tried many different saddles to no avail but finally found a used Hastilow Piaffe dressage saddle that fitted SO nicely (I did have it fitted by a master saddle fitter). It is wool flocked which I liked, as over time he has built more muscle and thus his shape has changed, and with reflocking, the saddle still fits very nicely. No rocking, no rubbing--very comfortable for him and for me. I saw an immediate difference in his movement once I started using this saddle. His back and shoulders move more freely. I have had the saddle for about 4 years now and still looks almost new, due to the quality leather. The stitching is excellent too. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search.