PDA

View Full Version : how to stop a popping shoulder

mswillie
May. 9, 2012, 07:00 AM
It's a little difficult to explain but my horse's go-to evasion is to lock his jaw, and pop his outside shoulder.

Does anyone have any recommendations for exercises to help overcome this? He has improved significantly overall since I got him but this is driving me batty.

nuevaburro
May. 9, 2012, 07:59 AM
Putting weight on the inside stirrup and bring my outside elbow back seems to disengage that ok for my guy.

SillyHorse
May. 9, 2012, 08:30 AM
Try counterflexion as soon as you feel him starting his litle routine. Just a little for one or two strides, then back to correct flexion. And always strive for a good connection on that outside rein.

runnyjump
May. 9, 2012, 08:30 AM
Counter bend on a circle. Make squares by doing a quarter turn on the haunches at the corners. And elaborating on what "nuevaburro" said, keep the outside shoulder back, elbow at your side, weight to the outside and outside leg near the girth.

IrishDeclan
May. 9, 2012, 08:33 AM
I feel your pain cause my guy is a shoulder popper also. I have to be very careful and make sure that I turn him off of my outside aids and not my inside rein. Whatever you're doing, make sure the shoulders keep turning and not just the head and neck. Another great tool I use is the counter bend. Whenever I feel him pop his outside shoulder, I ask for a bit of counter bend. This usually works pretty well. It picks the shoulder back up and aligns it with the body again. It also works to soften a locked jaw.

SnicklefritzG
May. 9, 2012, 10:19 PM
I've used the same stuff that runnyjump said and it works wonders with my horse too.

Sometimes I'll also throw in a stretchy trot circle if I feel my horse getting stuck and then I'll go back to a regular circle. That also helps quite a bit for me to regroup.

Flying Hearts
May. 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
All of the above, plus look at your own position. My horse used to pop her shoulders, and then I got more body awareness and saw that I was allowing her to do so by my thigh being lighter/wimpier on that side. Learned to keep my thigh closed against her, and also carried a whip to touch the outside shoulder should it pop out, and problem solved.

Sandy M
May. 10, 2012, 10:40 AM
All of the above, plus look at your own position. My horse used to pop her shoulders, and then I got more body awareness and saw that I was allowing her to do so by my thigh being lighter/wimpier on that side. Learned to keep my thigh closed against her, and also carried a whip to touch the outside shoulder should it pop out, and problem solved.

yup position
i generally find my guy pops his shoulder when i am not straight
sorry for typos using one hand/finger - broken arm-horse related

ponysize
May. 10, 2012, 11:22 AM

This except the whip part. I'm weaker with my right side for whatever reason and that has allowed my pony to drop her right shoulder. I have to work hard to keep that door closed.