PDA

View Full Version : Picking Favorites at C.A.N.T.E.R. Sites

free
Jun. 22, 2002, 07:06 PM
Am I an oddity or are there others who enjoy going to the C.A.N.T.E.R. sites and try to pick out which horses might make good Eventers? If only I had more $$$$$$ they would all have a home.

free
Jun. 22, 2002, 07:06 PM
Am I an oddity or are there others who enjoy going to the C.A.N.T.E.R. sites and try to pick out which horses might make good Eventers? If only I had more $$$$$$ they would all have a home.

LAZ
Jun. 22, 2002, 08:16 PM
This is Bugsy, doing Novice this coming weekend, then moving to training the following weekend.

Bugsy came from Michigan, as did another horse I got at the same time, Gold Bayou, but he hasn't done any showing yet. His owner loves him, though, and he's jumping and hacking and being a good citizen.

[This message was edited by LAZ on Jun. 22, 2002 at 10:29 PM.]

LAZ
Jun. 22, 2002, 08:21 PM
Lani and Lord Alfred at their debut this spring at Mayfest, he came from the IL CANTER

LAZ
Jun. 22, 2002, 08:25 PM
Sean and Fight for Victory. This one isn't strictly from the website as we bought him at Fairmount prior to fall auction, but I count him as a CANTER horse as that is why we were there. He's Sean's first horse.

LAZ
Jun. 22, 2002, 08:31 PM
Stalworthy, whom I call Stoli.

He has ugly ankles, big old osselots, but I bought him because he had a sweet demeanor and a kind eye. He's jumping little courses and hacking around, I'll probably eventually sell him on to someone for light use. He's so sweet.

He came from Ohio

LAZ
Jun. 22, 2002, 08:34 PM
But he's from Thistledown & Nancy Scott remembered him!

Jenna and Obie at the MSCTDA 3 day, where they finished 5th.

Oops, this isn't from the 3 day, this is from their first prelim last year at Gemwood. Photo credit to Nan Rawlins.

[This message was edited by LAZ on Jun. 22, 2002 at 10:47 PM.]

LAZ
Jun. 22, 2002, 08:36 PM
but will be later this year, hopefully.

Julie and Gangsta, from IL

LAZ
Jun. 22, 2002, 08:38 PM
Jennifer and Flash, whom she bought out of the auction ring at Fairmount for $400.

LAZ
Jun. 22, 2002, 08:45 PM
I think CANTER is an excellent organization, run by a dedicated group of people that really care about what happens to race horses after the track. I've been involved in getting 3 horses from Michigan, 4 from Ohio (not including Obie), and 5 from IL, and all of them have been really nice horses for reasonable prices.

*However* I urge anyone who is not familiar with track horses to take someone who is with them when they go shopping, and to remember that up until this point the horse's job has been to go pretty fast pretty much straight ahead, and that it takes time and patience to put steering, stopping, and going on them. I find it very rewarding, myself, but it's not for everyone!

FairWeather
Jun. 24, 2002, 10:11 AM
LAZ--What great shots!
Free--I 'pseudo shop' every weekend /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
My mantra is "no more stall space, no more stall space!"

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."--Homer
FairWeather (http://www.fairweather.bizland.com)
CANTER West Virginia (http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/salehorse.htm)

LAZ
Jun. 24, 2002, 01:09 PM
I want the little chestnut mare on IL CANTER right now. She's by Bugsy's sire, and she looks as agile and catlike as Bugs. I have no more stalls no more stalls no more stalls no more stalls. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I've been avoiding going over to horse shop with a client as I KNOW I'd bring her home....

Wonder
Jun. 24, 2002, 07:54 PM
NO you are not alone! I do it way too often! However I TRY to remind myself that we have NO MORE ROOM!!! I will be shot, hung, you name it if I bring anything else home with me!! But its sooooooo hard! I want all of them! Yet I have this issue with selling them, sadly I have A LOT of lifers!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

*Wonder*

Linny
Jun. 24, 2002, 08:53 PM
I found this handsome dude on CANTER of Ill.

Founder of the mighty Thoroughbred Clique!

Resident racing historian

free
Jun. 24, 2002, 09:21 PM
Laz......Are you talking about Lady Landmark?

free
Jun. 24, 2002, 09:38 PM
Linny.......I couldn't find yours, but at Illinois I kind of liked Cheifs oil and at W. Va. I liked Miss Leone, Blackscratch, Castle Bob, and best of all Burtonsville.

LAZ
Jun. 24, 2002, 09:56 PM
Yes, I was talking about Lady Landmark. I have it on good authority she could be bought cheaply to the right person. *sigh* Bugsy was a pistol the first year I had her, but she cheerfully and bravely did a Lucinda Green clinic 5 weeks off the track, and later that year trotted her way through a 25 mile endurance race, finishing with A+'s on condition, and has never had a penalty with me at the horse trials I've taken her to. She is maturing into a brave and forward going, but reasonable and not spooky adult. I have a major soft spot for her...and I think Lady Landmark looks to be much like Bugsy--including the somewhat quirky temperment.

free
Jun. 24, 2002, 10:29 PM
Laz.......I should not have read that (about Lady Landmark's sibling). I will eat my heart out!Unlike the rest of you I have the room but NO MORE $$$$, NO MORE $$$$, NO more $$$$!

LAZ
Jun. 25, 2002, 07:46 AM
inexpensive, cheap, not much money....

The picture of Bugsy above(first picture) is from her first ever stadium school... Lady Landmark needs a good home... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

free
Jun. 25, 2002, 10:08 AM
Laz.......O.K. this is a long shot, but I know of a girl that could do a good horse justice but she, like us has NO MONEY! But I will work on it.

LAZ
Jun. 25, 2002, 11:16 AM
Here's a picture of the horse we got at the Fairmount auction from his first outside jumping school today. He was a super boy, never took a look at anything!

cgn38
Jun. 25, 2002, 08:14 PM
I am forever perusing the CANTER websites. I have gotten all three of my horses at Fingerlakes Racetrack, in western NY, but I would love to support the CANTER program. I am out of stall space until I convert part of my barn into a stall. I have convinced myself that I can maintain (ie. slave over, cater to, spoil) one more OTTB. Does anyone have any idea how much a typical Ohio CANTER horse sells for? I'm referring specifically to the horses listed as CANTER owned, not as trainer/owner owned. I ask because I would like to buy my next horse from CANTER to support the organization, but I'm wondering how the price compares to the Fingerlakes horses I have purchased. Ohio is closest to me geographically. It woudl cost me to ship, also. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

LAZ
Jun. 25, 2002, 08:53 PM
I believe it is $800, Nancy Scott of CANTER of Ohio would answer an email promptly if you email her from the site. I believe all the CANTER programs also accept cash donations.

free
Jun. 25, 2002, 10:37 PM
Skinflint.....I don't know what areas the new New Engand CANTER covers, but it might be closer to you.

free
Jun. 25, 2002, 10:58 PM
Laz.....Is that you on him? Do you luck out on every horse that you pick or can you work magic with horses. I mean that seriously. A vet down here whose daughter does jumpers quite successfully, claims that most of the successes are due to proper training and not a super horse. Micheal Jordan said that nothing made him angrier than to hear someone say that he was a "natural". He said that he just trained and practiced more than average athletes were willing to do, especially after being cut from his team when he was young. (Of course his growth spurt didn't hurt)

Anyway, when my son can afford to buy another horse, I want you along!

How long has this one been off the track and how far do you think that he will go? (I always like to ask the impossible.) Please tell us more about him.

free
Jun. 25, 2002, 11:34 PM
There is a mare "Littlemisshonkeytonk" on the IL. Canter site and I believe that she was offered for sale a while back. (the name caught my eye) She now has a bow and is on stall rest. It seems like she didn't have it before. If only someone had purchased her before it happened. Darn! (I think that $2000 is a lot to ask for a horse with a bow and on stall rest. But maybe she has a lot of black type on her papers and would make a good broodmare.)

cgn38
Jun. 26, 2002, 06:16 AM
Thank you for the info, Free and Laz. Beautiful pictures, by the way! Rockingham/Suffolk are a bit closer mileage wise, but I would have to deal with the Boston metro traffic. Having lived in Beantown for several years, I decided I did not want to drive a loaded trailer anywhere around there (yes, I am a chicken when it comes to hauling in traffic). /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LAZ
Jun. 26, 2002, 07:18 AM
Flash is the one Jennifer got last year right before Thanksgiving at the Fairmount auction for $400. :-) He last raced a few days before that.

I think I have been lucky and have a lucky eye. I also have a pretty good sense of humor, which helps a lot when you're dealing with horses! Seriously, though, I have a "type" of horse I like and I've been very successful with that type, so that's what I buy. You have to kind of fuzz your eyes sometimes when you're looking at race horses to see what they'll look like with some weight and different muscling, but the bone structure is always there for those that look!

I'm going to scan a picture of of Sean and Vic jumping a warmup fence for x/c at ICTA later today--you won't believe his knees. Just got them back yesterday & haven't gotten a chance to scan.

LAZ
Jun. 27, 2002, 06:46 AM
Here's the picture of Vic and Sean from ICTA cross country warm up. This horse also last raced in November.

NMS
Jul. 8, 2002, 06:58 AM
Hi All, LAZ, as usual you are the best and thanks for the support! Yes, if everyone brought a trainer like LAZ to the track it would be so much easier! How is Lucky doing?

Anyhow, you are correct most of our CANTER owned horses are $800 to adopt to approved homes, we can send the paperwork on line and get you approved before you come shopping to make it easier.

We just got nine in over the weekend, one sold already and others need homes! Most will be posted in the coming week. Or you can e-mail me.

Thanks all for your support of the program, these are wonderful horses deserving of good homes and rewarding careers.

LAZ
Jul. 8, 2002, 07:42 AM
I think I need to come over in the next week or two, I have two more Juniors looking for projects--but I think it'll be a weekday as I don't want to wait until August & I'm booked up until then. There are a couple that look really good on the site.

Lucky's doing great. Jenna just got back from her working student stint on the east coast--Obie was 3rd at YOI at Groton House! She wants to do the two star at the NAYRC--so the focus has been on competing Obie rather than Lucky. But they've been whipping hounds off of him! How's that for quiet?

[This message was edited by LAZ on Jul. 08, 2002 at 01:51 PM.]

free
Jul. 8, 2002, 08:08 PM
Laz.....Is either Obie or Lucky the horse that you talked about earlier? The one you bought 10 years ago?

LAZ
Jul. 8, 2002, 09:39 PM
His actual name is Tumble Dry. I kept myself amused on the drive home after I bought him trying to remember his name--I knew it was something to do with laundry...

I have a cool picture of he & Jenna jumping a corner on my website: http:leeannz.tripod.com
Look under clients, click on Jenna's page

free
Jul. 9, 2002, 09:04 AM
If a difficult horse can be that successful then we should all be searching for difficult horses! No wonder you like him.

Linny
Jul. 9, 2002, 05:47 PM
The pic I was trying to post was of "Ask Nancy" who's listed on CANTER of Ill. For some reason the pic won't work. I think it's too big. I'll try once more.

free
Jul. 9, 2002, 07:36 PM
Linny.....He caught my eye also. A great looker, but some people wouldn't touch hime for the bow. The other one I liked there was You're A Steel although it was hard to tell about his rump (I like a well-muscled rump and second thigh. What did you think of him?

Linny
Jul. 9, 2002, 07:56 PM
I have seen mixed opinions on old bows. I used to ride a nice old hunter with a set bow. He was very sound and did 3'0 hunters nicely. I guess it depends on the bow and how well it healed. For an very inexpensive horse (if he has other great qualities) with nice prospects it might be worth a try if the bow is well along in healing.
I like You're a Steel too. I think with weight his butt should fill out. He looks like the lean type with long flat muscles. I doubt he'll ever have a very hefty rump but with less running and more weight overall he'll bulk up a bit. The first pic is more flattering. When I look at a race horse pic I mentally draw a new "outline" of him as he'd look with a bit more neck, barrel and hip. He looks huntery with the additional weight.

free
Jul. 9, 2002, 08:13 PM
Linny.....If you have the time could you steal a look at Joe Hollywood at Canter of Ohio? This is the one that my son has his eye on. What do you think? Trouble is other people have their eye on him also and my son is 5 hours away from him with no time off to go look. Oh well, he shouldn't spend the money anyway.

Linny
Jul. 9, 2002, 08:51 PM
I like him too! He has a great face and legs that don't show tons of abuse. He is more filled out than most racers. His gaskin looks a bit weak to me but the dapples indicate a healty horse. His head carriage makes me think jumper or eventer but I've noticed lots of tb's pictured with their heads up (some unnaturally so) lately. I think the word is out that riders don't want horses too on the forehand. In this horse's case the head looks natural. His expression makes him look like he might be a handful!

LAZ
Jul. 9, 2002, 09:34 PM
Rumor has it that he is a bit of a handful. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I believe the term was exuberant, and running off with his exercise jock also came up...doesn't necessarily make him bad, but I'd have to see him in person to buy!

Free--if your kid likes the look of him get a cheap ticket & go look! One of the horses high on my list when we went just before Christmas was sold when we got there to look at him--turns out one of my friends in GA bought him! Small world...

free
Jul. 9, 2002, 10:18 PM
Laz......Me go look...THAT is humorous. I know my limitations but I AM learning. (The reason for all of the questions) My son just liked his looks better than any he had seen on the Canter sites so far, but it is no big deal to him. Like he says "a photo can be very deceiving". No place to put him nearby. Would probably have to send him home to ME for a while. Besides you saw this wild horse first.

cgn38
Jul. 10, 2002, 08:26 AM
Just to butt in here, I like Colebrook Believer on the CANTER Ohio site. His neck is a tad unconventional, but I think he looks like he could jump very well. I wish my fourth stall was ready... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

free
Jul. 10, 2002, 10:04 AM
Skinflint.....He caught my eye too. Maybe it's the way she is holding his head. Someone postedthat the sellers heard that downhill is negative (and he could be a little) so they try to hold their heads up. But that neck could be helped with muscleing. Does his shoulder look a little straight? But if you want him for Jumpers, that might be desirable? His heels a little low? I'm not going to buy him....just trying to pick your brain. If you get time, how do you like Dacing in the Dark and Quite Surprising on the W. VA. Site?

b328
Jul. 10, 2002, 01:35 PM
Not that I am in a position to keep a horse right now, but I was excited to see Canter now has a New England group. There is one I like on the site as an Adult Amateur or Children's hunter type. What do people think? She is 4 years old and 15.2 (I am short and like small horses)

free
Jul. 10, 2002, 01:50 PM
There is another one on Fairweather's W.VA site that I can't get off my mind. Her name is Shubby and do you think that her back is too long and her front legs too fine-boned?

CoolMeadows
Jul. 10, 2002, 02:07 PM
I saw Molon, too. She is utterly adorable! Joe Hollywood is gorgeous but he looks like he's ready to flee at the drop of a hat! I have about 10 favorites right now. Sigh... One day. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

b328
Jul. 10, 2002, 03:06 PM
I think with some weight and more muscling on her topline Shubby would look nice.I do think she'd always have a somewhat fine appearance though. She has a pretty head and is eyecatching. I love Americana too! I think she is the one FW posted

FairWeather
Jul. 10, 2002, 04:47 PM
re: the high head thing.
Trainers think that people want to see their horse with a head all jacked up in the air and looking at you. They literally have heart failure when we ask them to let the horses head down a little and turn AWAY from us. Its pretty darn funny

cant tell you how many of *these* shots we get

cgn38
Jul. 10, 2002, 05:28 PM
Free,
I think their heels always look a little low at the track, and I always have my farrier begin to get rid of that long toe low heel syndrome the first time he trims. What I really like about Colebrook Believer is his shoulder, and the length from his hip to the point of his rump below his tail. I also think he looks to have an honest expression (how I've determined that I have no idea!!!). Quite Surprising is gorgeous!!!! (but out of my price range, although I have found sometimes you can wait it out and get lucky) I couldn't find the other horse you mentioned - I'll look again later. Meanwhile, I'll keep looking and drooling. I also like Casual Connection on WV. (I think he may need to be wormed.) /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

free
Jul. 10, 2002, 08:52 PM
Fairweather....which horse is the one in the "not this way-that way" photo? Thank you.

FairWeather
Jul. 11, 2002, 05:30 AM
I havent uploaded her info yet. She was a great racehorse, really sweet too /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Her name is Run RJ Run

She should be up by tomorrow night...

Oh yea, and about the good/bad pics. I swear the prettiest horse next to Saucy Marine on my site is Bab's Blue. Her picture is TERRIBLE! Just goes to show ya /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

free
Jul. 11, 2002, 10:16 AM
Fairweather.....I am almost afraid to ask this, but what % of these horses are sold through Canter and what % go on to auctions and then what are their chances of going to the killers? What do the killers pay for them? I read that Rattle and Hum (David O'Conner's) was headed there but rescued at the last minute by a friend of Karen's in Texas. And look at what that horse was capable of! If only I had the $$$$ to rescue the leftovers! (the ones that don't sell)

FairWeather
Jul. 11, 2002, 01:09 PM
Any horse that is listed with CANTER (as far as West Virginia is concerned) for the most part does not go to the killers. (unless we dont know about it).
If a situation gets desperate and a trainer will sell them for under $500 then CANTER will buy the horse. We wont pay over this amount--because the killers will only pay up to this amount.
This is why $donations$ are important--every last cent that is donated goes into a fund to purchase 'at risk' horses.

The one's we worry about are those we DONT list because we dont know about them.
None of my listings have left the track on a killer truck i'm proud to say /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
My goal is to catch every last one coming through Charles Town. Lofty, but I can do it /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

free
Jul. 11, 2002, 01:22 PM
Fairweather.....Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That's a load off my mind. But if I'm going to donate money I would kinda like to have the horse for it. Is there a list of questions that a buyer would be wise to ask? Would you advise using a track vet and what would you have them check and x-ray for and what would the approximate cost be for this? Thank you.

Flash44
Jul. 11, 2002, 01:37 PM
Boy is he handsome!!! His sire, Baederwood, was a knockout and most of his get are really good looking. I wish he was not 6 years old!

I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor don't bring me down...

Flash44
Jul. 11, 2002, 01:50 PM
Post more pics! I'm calling on Burt, but I think he's too old.

I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor don't bring me down...

lauriep
Jul. 11, 2002, 02:14 PM
I have a question. The Ohio site's pictures won't open for me. I get a dialog box that asks me where I want to save it, so I saved it to desktop, but when I try to open it, it asks what program I want to open it with? Beats the Hell out of me! It is a .dwt file...Help??

Laurie

free
Jul. 11, 2002, 03:25 PM
Flash44.....When are you going to look at Burt? Please tell us about him when you get back! And why do you consider him too old at six? Have you taken OTTBs before and converted them? A lot of you people seem to know each other, but I am clueless as to your backgrounds. What will you look for in him? (or in other horses?)

FairWeather
Jul. 12, 2002, 05:12 AM
Flash--Burt is absolutely gorgeous. His pics are not doing him justice at all though. He looks a little lanky in them, but in reality he's HUGE and well put together. Has some spunk to him too--which is something I like /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I'm sure he's just about 17 hands too.

CoolMeadows
Jul. 12, 2002, 06:20 AM
Flash - Burt's pedigree on dmtc.com says that he's a seven year old. Might be a typo, and still not too old in my book, he's absolutely gorgeous.

LAZ
Jul. 12, 2002, 07:09 AM
(Chanting) I can't afford another horse, I can't afford another horse, I can't afford another horse. I'm bad enough about surfing the CANTER sites without all of this encouragement! I'm sure when I take KC to the track shopping I'll end up with another horse if you all don't quit! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LAZ
Jul. 12, 2002, 07:11 AM
Did you notice the Mi Cielo Mare on the WVA page? She's by the same stallion as Joe Hollywood. She looks a little cheerful, too!

free
Jul. 12, 2002, 09:12 AM
How do you find these pedigrees?

free
Jul. 12, 2002, 09:23 AM
If a horse is built slightly downhill, do they always go on their forehand and what criteria do you use in determining whether a horse is just "youthfully exuberant" or whether it will ALYAYS be difficult? Thank you.

NMS
Jul. 12, 2002, 01:19 PM
He's now owned by CANTER...$800, and he is much nicer than the photo...give us an e-mail if you want to fill out an adoption form.

nscott@downingexhibits.com.

LAZ
Jul. 12, 2002, 01:37 PM
You can go to the Delmar Site http://www.dmtc.com/dmtc98/Pedigree/

and enter the horses name up at the top, click enter or pedigree, or whatever it says in the corner, then look over in the left margin & click on the horse. Not every horse is in it, but it's a huge database.

And you don't know whether it's youthful exhuberance or not--I always believe the horse I'm looking at is the horse I'm buying and if it's too much horse at the moment I pass--no point in banking on the future when it's that uncertain! Most of them will settle down some when they get less fit and turned out, but not all of them do.

free
Jul. 12, 2002, 01:59 PM
Thanks Laz.....and please let us know what you thought of Joe and any of the other horses that you look at there. I've been on that sight so much lately that I feel like I know every horse personally!

free
Jul. 12, 2002, 03:22 PM
Fairweather.......was Dancing in the Dark sold? I don't see him on your Canter site now. Thanks.

FairWeather
Jul. 12, 2002, 06:33 PM
nope, he's still there--he's just under the name 'little ben'
the owners like to use just barn names with their listings.

Flash44
Jul. 13, 2002, 01:21 PM
6 is a little old to me just becuase the horse may have a lot more wear and tear on him than a younger one. Also, they are sometimes tougher to ride. However, they are usually past that "green n' stupid" phase that some of the really young ones (2-4 yos) go through.

I have one off the track that turned out great - looks a lot like Quite Suprising on the WV Canter site. My horse turned out to be a really nice and fun 3' hunter. But we did have some pretty hairy TB days!

LAZ
Jul. 18, 2002, 07:49 AM
The owner sent me a note to let me know as I hadn't gotten over to look at him yet. Good for him! Too bad for me, I was dying to take a look at him!

free
Jul. 18, 2002, 12:23 PM
Thanks Laz....would like to keep track of him.....see how he settles down and developes and in what venue. Would your friend at Canter of Ohio mind keeping us updated (if she has the info and time)?

LAZ
Jul. 18, 2002, 12:58 PM
I doubt there's an easy way to keep track of how the horse does, unless the new owner happens to read and post here...

cgn38
Jul. 27, 2002, 02:17 PM
Under the CANTER horses, last one posted - Magi Magic. He is gorgeous!!

NMS
Jul. 30, 2002, 01:12 PM
We're still under some construction...but go take a look...www.canterohio.org

CoolMeadows
Jul. 30, 2002, 02:27 PM
Hehehe, I'm in love with Tork at CanterOhio. He's listed under the Canter-owned horses. I think he's Byoootiful. I don't want to hear any critiques, thank you very much!

NMS are you the person I've been talking to?

On a tangent, is anyone from Ohio going to be heading towards Va with a horse trailer in the near future? I've talked to a couple of shippers, still waiting to hear back from a couple more.

NMS I'm adding a picture of Tork here - is that ok? Tell me if it's not!

[This message was edited by CoolMeadows on Jul. 30, 2002 at 04:41 PM.]

cgn38
Jul. 30, 2002, 05:13 PM
Tork is awesome. I hope you get him.

NMS
Jul. 31, 2002, 05:54 AM
And that's not even a very good picture of Tork...I will send you some more tonight of him frolicking in the pasture. He's awesome and he's HUGE! Posting is fine!

Nancy S
CANTER Ohio

Flash44
Jul. 31, 2002, 10:42 AM
There is a palomino TB on the CANTER Illinois website. He doesn't look like he has a real pretty head, but it could be the way the handler is holding him.

Freebird!
Aug. 3, 2002, 11:09 PM
Salt Cellar. I really like her pic, but in the ad she is said to be a dark bay, but she sure looks chestnut to me? Am I going blind here?
Would youmind telling me a bit more about her, if that is, she is still for sale? Does she move well enough to be a hunter? My goal is to get a mare who will one day be able to do the 3 ft hunters at local shows, and some light trail riding. If you get a chance, would you please email me, I just can't seem to get this mare out of my head....
Also, is her price of 1k firm?
pofarm@belsouth.net

Simkie
Aug. 3, 2002, 11:33 PM
I have GOT to STOP looking at CANTER websites.

I *really* like the look of Hope For The Gold on the Ohio one. Oooh. Good thing there's no way in h*ll I'd be able to go out there and get her. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

free
Aug. 4, 2002, 12:19 AM
.....and then somone mentions a different Canter horse and I can't control the urge to just look at just this one more....and then I have to compare....and then..and then..and then

cgn38
Aug. 4, 2002, 06:14 AM
there is no kicking the habit... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sprite
Aug. 4, 2002, 09:07 AM
I can see why its so addictin!!

I looove Reveler!! And that mare Double Wedding looks like she might be a sabino (?), with those HIGH white stockings.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

free
Aug. 4, 2002, 10:10 AM
an OTTB that I saw on the equine.com site? Her name is Golden Smile and you can see several photos of her at:

www.angelfire.com/ar3/fancytails (http://www.angelfire.com/ar3/fancytails)

what do you think of her front legs, movement, shoulder, etc. compared to the other OTTBs on that site? Thank you.

LAZ
Aug. 4, 2002, 12:34 PM
I like the looks of her. She uses her back end nicely in the pictures, and seems to have a decent enough natural carriage. It's hard to tell what (if anything) is on her legs as there are no conformation shots on the page.

free
Aug. 4, 2002, 03:16 PM
Laz.....did you ever get over to Ohio Canter and, if so,did you find anything that your client could use? Tell us what you looked at.

Thanks for critiqueing Golden Smile. Her movement caught my eye but I was disappointed by the still photo.

LAZ
Aug. 4, 2002, 08:36 PM
Where did you see the still photo? I missed it.

I have been planning on heading to Ohio for the last 3 weeks & it hasn't worked out. Now I'm thinking a week from Friday as I'm going to the NAYRC with the little hot black horse & his owner this coming weekend. There are two or three I'm keen on. I'll let you know if anything looks likely that I don't buy! If you'd told me your kid was doing the working student thing I'd have been wholeheartedly for the hotter horses. I'll keep my eyes open while I'm there & let you know if I see anything I think will do the big time.

shiloh
Aug. 5, 2002, 03:39 AM
I lovef "shopping" at the CANTER sites. I thought I would never be able to afford another horse ever and what a pleasant surprise to see fabulous and aaffordable horses.

My all-around personal fav - Saucy Marine - serious drooling going on here.

Coppertone
Aug. 7, 2002, 09:20 AM
Was I the only one who noticed this guy?? I would love to have him as a project horse. I love the look of him. I was seriously considering finding the $$ to buy him.

"Big 16.3+ (sticks) Bay gelding. 3 years old and nicely bred for sporthorses. (Magic Prospect X Sound Crossing). Trainer states this boy has lovely manners, is totally sound (unraced) and is quiet as can be. Asking $3500--must sell!"

http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/wv/images/boldheadline1.jpg

free
Aug. 7, 2002, 10:32 AM
....what you think of him when you go look and if you buy him. Looks great to me.

BybeeGirl
Aug. 7, 2002, 10:37 AM
Bold Headline left this am for New York!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coppertone:
Was I the only one who noticed this guy?? I would love to have him as a project horse. I love the look of him. I was seriously considering finding the $$ to buy him.

"Big 16.3+ (sticks) Bay gelding. 3 years old and nicely bred for sporthorses. (Magic Prospect X Sound Crossing). Trainer states this boy has lovely manners, is totally sound (unraced) and is quiet as can be. Asking $3500--must sell!"

http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/wv/images/boldheadline1.jpg<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coppertone
Aug. 7, 2002, 10:48 AM
I really liked that guy, if I had the money to have two horses, I would have definately made the trip to see him.

NMS
Aug. 7, 2002, 01:16 PM
You are correct, we have her color wrong. Nancy runs her off the farm sometimes and we made the boo boo when we listed her. Very nice mare, great trainer. Give her or Jay a call.

Nancy S

Cross_CanterHLTB
Aug. 8, 2002, 12:47 PM
I have been watching him for a while, waiting to see a picture but there isn't one. I'm looking for a nice companion/light trail horse and On the Cutting Edge sounds like he might fit the bill. I emailed the link on the site but haven't heard back from anyone. I hope I get a response soon. He sounds like a real darling. I really want to see a picture. He's been on there an awful long time, I wonder if there's more to him than the ad says. If not him, I might be interested in Daniels Dance, he's cute! I just need a pasture potato and the light trail riding would be a bonus.

I'll just wait and see what happens. I know Canter people post here, maybe someone will see and help me out! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CoolMeadows
Aug. 8, 2002, 01:11 PM
I got Tork! He arrives on Sunday - was supposed to come Friday but the shipper had some schedule changes.

Thanks NMS and Noell in Ohio!

CoolMeadows, anxiously awaiting Tork's arrival so she can stuff him full of peppermints that his ex-trainer says he loves. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Freebird!
Aug. 8, 2002, 01:19 PM
You'll have to keep us updated on his training progress. He sure looks like a cutie in his pics :-)

cgn38
Aug. 8, 2002, 02:15 PM
So glad to hear that another CANTER horse got a good home! Tork is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! Have fun and give him lots of carrots. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

cgn38
Aug. 8, 2002, 02:16 PM
I meant peppermints!

NMS
Aug. 13, 2002, 11:39 AM
"Eddie" is with a foster mom and she adores him, so we don't get over there much to take photo. He has an old, old bow, but has never ever taken a
bad step. I'll see what I can do to get the photo up soon. Please feel free to e-mail or call me directly 330/697-4460.

Cross_CanterHLTB
Aug. 13, 2002, 01:42 PM
I emailed you. I am looking forward to hearing all about "Eddie". Thank you.

NMS
Aug. 13, 2002, 02:45 PM
Give us a Tork report!!!

Freebird!
Aug. 13, 2002, 03:05 PM
#74 Pestimystic: 3 yr old chestnut filly, 16.3+hh! Stunning filly with a great disposition, easy to be around and willing to learn. Nice hunter / jumper prospect. $2,500. Call Cindy at 614.871.4286.(Note: horse is located in the Beulah Park Area).

Here's the link to the pic http://www.canterohio.org/sale/images-salehorses/pestimystic.JPG

CoolMeadows
Aug. 13, 2002, 03:11 PM
Freebird, I like her too. Is she still around? Seems like she's been on the site for a while. She's a real cutie.

NMS - I started a thread on Tork in Off Course! I'm off right now to get more pix of him. He's just fabulous. Let me see if I can link this thread.
Tork's thread. (http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=691099205&f=1970907951&m=3543064256)

Freebird!
Aug. 13, 2002, 09:32 PM
880-7 GELDING, 7 years old, 16.2 hands. Liver chestnut with star and white anklet. "Sur Unite" has clean legs and would be a great eventing or jumper prospect. See him at the Training Center at the Muskegon County Fairgronds. Asking $2500
Fla. Bred by Unite and out of Hilda's Sur Prize (Surreal)

Contact Kelly Spanabel at 337-781-1533 or pager her at the Training Center at 231-788-2909

Here's the pic:
http://www.horses-canter.net/michigan/sale/images-salehorses/880.jpg

free
Aug. 13, 2002, 09:43 PM
Freebird.....was it you who used to be a jockey? If so, I guess that we can depend on you to pick some good ones. (taking into consideration that you are only seeing one photo!)

Freebird!
Aug. 13, 2002, 09:56 PM
at a TB training farm in Ga. At first I worked there just as a groom because I was alos showing hunters every weekend and I knew that galloping would kill what little Equatation I had at the time - it has since gone out the window! I started galloping when I started dating one of the Excersize riders, who is now my husband, and decided to work there full time. The first racehorse I ever sat on, I had to work it 6 furlongs...talk about having your stomach in your throat! I loved galloping and working the older fillies and colts, but my passion was breaking the babies. LOL, the trainer at the barn always gave me a hard time cause I always tought them to jump cross rails, and do a training level dressage test, lol. Anyway, I was ina pretty bad spill breaking a young colt out of the starting gates one day - my saddle slipped, and when your stirrups are les then 12 inches long, theres not much you can do about it - and the dr said that since that was my 8th concussion in only a few years that I could no longer take the risk of galloping any longer. The thing I was maddest about was, the Atlanta Stteplechase was only weeks away, and I was going to be able to ride a horse in one of the races - I was his ex rider every day - it was a flat race,m and you dont have to have your liscence for that particuliar race. My horse ended up winning, but did I get any of the purse? Of course not - but I did get to be in the winners photo :-) Okay, now that I have typed all this - you really didnt ask to know any of it, did you? ROFL...sorry I tend to ramble!

ps - watch it - I tend to pick the OTTB's with my heart sometimes instead of my head (which is still working after 8 concussions - thank god for my excersize helmet!)

Coppertone
Aug. 13, 2002, 10:25 PM
4 year old UNRACED filly. 16 hands. "Mahattan Music" is a beautiful filly with a very solid build, gorgeous neck, lovely head and is a beautiful mover. She is sound, but unraced because she is just too slow. She is very easy to work around and well-behaved. Stabled near Fairmount Park. $2500 OR BEST OFFER FOR QUICK SALE. Call 618-345-0878. Picture - posted 8/10/02

http://www.canter-illinois.net/forsale/horses/manhattanmusic.htm

I've decided that my next horse, is definately going to be a Canter baby.

Freebird!
Aug. 13, 2002, 10:40 PM
is because I WANT her!!! She is awsome!! I even called her trainer and he garenteed her 100% sound. They just posted her not long ago, and already they've had many calls, and people come to look at her. Whaaa, all I can afford - and I use that term loosly - is 1500.

See what you've done now? Now EVERYONE is going to want her! P.S. I have some other good picks of her that shows more of her head. I'm praying that she bites everyone and no one wants her! Just kidding - I only want her to go to a good home.

Hey - I am so tempted to do a CANTER horse Top Ten list every week....very tempting.....but I don't want y'al to get sick of all my "hey guys, you GOTTA look at this one..." posts.

Coppertone
Aug. 14, 2002, 11:01 AM
I didn't know you were trying to keep the mare on the DL. I would definately go and see her, with a truck and trailer in tow, if I had the money to spend. Until then, it's strictly window shopping and a wish list for me.

Freebird!
Aug. 14, 2002, 11:29 AM
I was just picking at ya ;-) You didn't think I was REALLY mad at ya did you?? And please dont EVER feel bad about speading the word and advertizing an exracer who needs a home. Yes, I would LOVE to have her, but I just dont have the money right now, and I just want her to go to a good home, weather it's mine or someones else's. doesnt matter, just so long as the horse is happy. These ex racehorses desirve the best in my opinion, so Kudos for you Coppertone for picking a great looking filly :-)

TO EVERYONE - istead of doing a new post, or starting yet another OTTB thread, I'm just going to put my request here, in hopes that a lot of people see it. Go to the http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=691099205&f=1970907951&m=6623027456 (I think I have that ridght) scroll down to the post - "Anyone looking for an OTTB in Ky? - and I wont even kick you out of this clique if ya get him, cause he's a ReRun horse.." Its a horse that I watch grow up, and I galloped him every day, so I really want him to find a good home.

good booie
Aug. 15, 2002, 08:40 AM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, Manhattan Music. Hey, maybe we can pool our funds /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I live in Georgia too!

Proud Member of the AQHA Clique!
Not so proud member of the E-bay Addiction Clique....
CANTER LURKER Clique!

Freebird!
Aug. 15, 2002, 11:09 AM
I got 1k....but whose barn would she stay at? If we each get half oh her, I claim the front end (but only cause I don't have a manure spreader ;-)

[This message was edited by Freebird on Aug. 15, 2002 at 03:02 PM.]

Coppertone
Aug. 15, 2002, 01:00 PM
I know you weren't mad at me, no offence was taken. She is a beautiful girl though. All I can say is in a few years, I'll be buying myself a Canter TB, maybe as a graduation present for myself. What else does a poor college graduate need?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Freebird!
Aug. 15, 2002, 01:18 PM
TWO CANTER horses!!!.....their like potato chips - you can't just have one!

Coppertone
Aug. 15, 2002, 11:36 PM
the whole "just one chip" thing, yeah, I am the one grabbing a handfull. Maybe I should just toss in the college towel now, while only owe them a small country's debt in loans, move to the country and support my Canter addiction through the ever-increasing (and profitable) roadside jelly/fruit stand. Hmmm.... I think I just might make it work.

Flash44
Aug. 16, 2002, 08:05 AM
2 chips? I'm usually good for the whole bag! Maybe I can cash in my IRA...

JumperDoc
Aug. 16, 2002, 09:58 AM
I didn't post her pic either cuz I was hoping no one else saw her. I have made contact about this horse and they have nothing but good things to say about her. I may take a trip w/ a trailer and some cash this weekend. She is so pretty! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

good booie
Aug. 16, 2002, 11:40 AM
So why don't you tell us where you live so we can hook up our trailer and come steal her. hehe.

I hope one of "us" gets her so we can follow her progress. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Proud Member of the AQHA Clique!
Not so proud member of the E-bay Addiction Clique....
CANTER LURKER Clique!

Coppertone
Aug. 16, 2002, 11:46 AM
I hope you do make that trip so you can tell us what a wonderful girl she is, how she trailers, and how well she adjusted to her new home at your barn. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mbp
Aug. 16, 2002, 05:26 PM
Mahattan Music is a WOW!!!!

Any idea her breeding? If she is sound and not a nut, whoever gets her is really getting something IMO.

LAZ
Aug. 16, 2002, 07:09 PM
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

And I have some scoop on her--all of it is good. If I really needed a horse right now I'd sure go take a look (and a trailer and cash).

Freebird!
Aug. 16, 2002, 08:30 PM
I know her too, well at least through emails, and posts at another board...and isn't she a great photographer as well ;-) From what I've heard, Music is a real sweetie, and has folks seeing for the next week. I sure hope she goes to a good home...I just wish I had the money to get her :-)

HEY - HERE'S ANOTHER CANTER HORSE TO CHECK OUT....

Kan Kan Baby....at the IL Site - yes I'm gonna mahke ya hunt for her. At first I didn't like her neck, but Ive sen other pics of her, and her neck is fine. She's a cutie isn't she?

free
Aug. 16, 2002, 09:53 PM
Freebird......Yeah, she's cute. Now I want to see the rest of her pictures.

free
Aug. 16, 2002, 09:55 PM
skinflint.....I thought that you were going to look at Colebrook Believer. Did you ever see him?

Freebird!
Aug. 16, 2002, 10:09 PM
See, her neck looks waaay better in this one, but the reason why it wasnt posted is because she is so camped out with her hind end. LOL, if you take the front half of this pic, and the back half of the pic of her posted in her ad at CANTER of IL site...then you get a pretty good looking filly, and WOW what a price on her :-)
I guess that just goes to show us that we really can't use these pics to judge their conformation...just imagine how hard it is to get a fit young racehorse to prick its ears and stand still and square, and then add to the fact that the trainers like them to stand with their heads streight up!

free
Aug. 17, 2002, 02:28 AM
She was cute in the first one, but I do like the second one better, although she IS standing somewhat like a saddlebred.

free
Aug. 17, 2002, 01:56 PM
How many of you would not buy a horse that was tied in below the knee? Thanks.

Freebird!
Aug. 17, 2002, 03:45 PM
my appologies for the ignorant question, but I got zero sleep last night, and I swear Im having a huge brean fart, lol. Anyway, I tend to hesetate on looking at horses who are back at the knees, and the same goes for offset knees as well. That kind of misalignment puts such a strain on their fron tendons, and joints, and normally a horse who is back at the knees will have bad pastern length and angle as well. ( I will still look at a horse with somewhat long pasterns, as long as they are angled, but I tend to stay away from the ones with straight and or very short pasterns, not only does this again put too much stress on their joints, but they tend not to move as wee either, and since I show in the Hunters, thats pretty important to me. I will, however still look at a horse who is a bit over at the knee, as long as its not too severe, as these horses tend to stay sound, and it can even be a bit of an advantadge to them, as it takes the pressure off their tendons. I once galloped a filly who was sooo over at the knee, that her front legs would constantly shake when she was standing in her stall. I was scared to death the first time I had to work (breeze) her, I though for sure, that she would trip and fall over as we pulled up - which I always did as quickly as I could - but she never did, and was always a pleasure to gallop, she even trail rode with the best of them :-) If you look at Secrateriats conformation shots, he is even ever so slightly over at th eknee, and it has been said that his conformation was more neerer to perfect then any other horse, living or dead.

free
Aug. 17, 2002, 05:15 PM
Maybe I am not using the correct terminology, but I meant where the leg gets narrow just below the knee.

The horse in question is an OTTB and can be found at www.angelfire.com/ar3/fancytails (http://www.angelfire.com/ar3/fancytails)

I have not seen her in person, but have an appointment for a prepurchase. If she doesn't sell, she goes back to the track but they also said that if we don't take her, they have someone else in line. Be sure and scroll down below the pedigree for the conformation photo. Please tell me what you think. Thank you.

free
Aug. 18, 2002, 11:11 AM
We each have to have our own informant on the backside of the tracks to get the "inside scoops", just like on the police shows! Now, where to find one. Then maybe I can keep up with you guys!

Ali Hamann
Aug. 23, 2002, 11:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by free:
Linny.....If you have the time could you steal a look at Joe Hollywood at Canter of Ohio? This is the one that my son has his eye on. What do you think? Trouble is other people have their eye on him also and my son is 5 hours away from him with no time off to go look. Oh well, he shouldn't spend the money anyway.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought id let you all no, im joe's knew owner! we bought him July 17th. His new name is Tagalong, look for him in zone 2 and maybe florida this winter!

~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

Ali Hamann
Aug. 23, 2002, 11:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LAZ:
Rumor has it that he is a bit of a handful. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I believe the term was exuberant, and running off with his exercise jock also came up...doesn't necessarily make him bad, but I'd have to see him in person to buy!

Free--if your kid likes the look of him get a cheap ticket & go look! One of the horses high on my list when we went just before Christmas was sold when we got there to look at him--turns out one of my friends in GA bought him! Small world...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'll admit when i looked at him the first day he was nippy, but he is the easiest thing, i love him. after being home 3 days i jumped on himbareback and he could have cared less, he gets along well with other horses, and has very nice ground manners.

~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

Ali Hamann
Aug. 23, 2002, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CoolMeadows:
Joe Hollywood is gorgeous <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe thank you!

sorry, i have to reply to everyone, im so prou of my baby! hehe

~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

Ali Hamann
Aug. 23, 2002, 11:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LAZ:
I doubt there's an easy way to keep track of how the horse does, unless the new owner happens to read and post here...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the owner does post and read here! its me! hehe. a little info on Joe...

we bought him on july 17th. and he arrived home in pipersville PA on aug. 2nd. His new name is tagalong, and he's in training as a hunter jumper. if anyone wants pics or to keep a watch on him /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif email me! wheresthesalt@hotmail.com

~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

Ali Hamann
Aug. 24, 2002, 10:15 PM
someone please buy this horse! When i went to get Tag he was his next door err... stall,neighbor. his owner is really nice and a good guy, and the horse is cute and really sweet. so someone buy him and give him a good home!!

~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

Simkie
Aug. 24, 2002, 11:40 PM
Handsome Healer? This guy?

http://www.canterohio.org/sale/images-salehorses/handsome%20healer.jpg

What a cutey! There's no price on the CANTER site--do you know how much they're asking?

FairWeather
Aug. 25, 2002, 04:57 AM
Ali! Congrats on your purchase /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
You'll have to post pictures when you get them--we all love seeing CANTER alum /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ali Hamann
Aug. 25, 2002, 01:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by simkie:
Handsome Healer? This guy?

http://www.canterohio.org/sale/images-salehorses/handsome%20healer.jpg

What a cutey! There's no price on the CANTER site--do you know how much they're asking?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats the one. hes a nice horse i like him /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I think they are asking 2000-2500 but im not sure..... Give clark a call!
~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

Ali Hamann
Aug. 25, 2002, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FairWeather:
Ali! Congrats on your purchase /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
You'll have to post pictures when you get them--we all love seeing CANTER alum /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.fairweather.bizland.com
http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/salehorse.htm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a bunch! i will post pics when i get them. i have his pic from canter ut you've all seen that one already i have some fromt he barn but not on the computer so we'll hve to wait... but i'll deff post em!

~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

LAZ
Aug. 26, 2002, 06:02 AM
I'm glad to hear he's a nice horse! I had contacted the previous owner about him & was going over to look at him, but you bought him first. I thought he was gorgeous and looked very talented, the owner had told me he was a bit of a handful. I'm glad it's working out for you and you like him--what are you going to do with him?

NMS
Aug. 26, 2002, 08:38 AM
Hi CANTER junkies...our webmistress forgot to post Handsome Healer's price. He's $5,000. Ali, good luck with Joe. Can you send me some pics for the website? We'd like to do a Success Story if you have time to write us. He's a handsome boy and we wish you the best of luck with him.

Pony Fan
Aug. 26, 2002, 08:13 PM
And the wonderful horses we found yesterday here in IL. along with a photo My new horse is HEAINTNOSAINT but don't bother looking for him on the CANTER site...he was supposed to be listed this week. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ali Hamann
Aug. 27, 2002, 08:55 PM
I'm glad to hear he's a nice horse! I had contacted the previous owner about him & was going over to look at him, but you bought him first. I thought he was gorgeous and looked very talented, the owner had told me he was a bit of a handful. I'm glad it's working out for you and you like him--what are you going to do with him?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what i heard around the track was that his old owner wasnt exactly a horse person. And Joe didnt want to race, so obviously he was gettin frustrated.

he is turning out wonderfully, and we are doing hunter/jumper stuff. We're gonnna do "A" circuit stuff and might go down to florida for WEF or HITS this winter. Eventually we will do the 3'6 eq and hjunters, and probably jumpers, but im not quite sure what exactly yet.

~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

Ali Hamann
Aug. 27, 2002, 08:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NMS:
Hi CANTER junkies...our webmistress forgot to post Handsome Healer's price. He's $5,000. Ali, good luck with Joe. Can you send me some pics for the website? We'd like to do a Success Story if you have time to write us. He's a handsome boy and we wish you the best of luck with him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im more then happy to do a success story! i am gettins some pictures developed this week, i dont know hwat all is on there though. Email me at wheresthesalt@hotmail.com to disscuss it further!

~Ali Hamann~
*Tagalong*

LAZ
Sep. 7, 2002, 07:29 AM
This is First Inbound (Beryl) and her owner Kathy. Beryl came out of the Michigan branch of CANTER several years ago, but just got around to getting ridden enough to start showing.

free
Sep. 7, 2002, 10:37 AM
stories of OTTBs with conformation faults that became successful Eventing (above Training level)horses? Just recently heard of a horse purchased very quickly for $600 that went Advanced (but don't know if it had conformation faults).

CoolMeadows
Sep. 8, 2002, 05:01 PM
But first and most important, a list of things I've discovered and love about Tork:
1) He's always chatty at breakfast and dinner and is an utter chow hound.
2) He loves ear rubs.
3) He plays well with others.
4) If he's taking a nap in his stall, he stays lying down when I come in and lets me sit with him. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
5) He's SMART!
6) He lowers his head, opens his mouth and searches for the bit when I put the bridle on. How cool is that?
7) He lunges like a pro.
8) He free jumps 3'6" from a trot for fun and in textbook style every time.
9) He's a gentleman for the farrier, and lets me pull his mane and trim his whiskers without even being tied.
10) AND... he's now a riding horse!

Yep, today he got ridden. He walks, trots and canters both directions. He picks up his leads every time. He trots through cavaletti and over the X like he's been doing it forever (other than over-jumping a bit! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif ). He has a fantastic, balanced and comfortable canter. He has a wonderful soft mouth - how did that happen after racing for 6 years? He was even in the ring with two other horses and the worst thing he did was want to stop and say hi to them. I honestly can't find anything negative to say about this horse. Even when he stands, he always, always stands up square.

He's packing on weight so fast that I had to cut his feed back a bit. To anyone who won't consider an 8 year old off the track - please reconsider! If they've made it through that life sound and sane, they're tough, physically and mentally. Tork is one low stress, happy kind of guy with a fantastic work ethic. He takes everything in stride and thinks it out. So again, thanks NMS and I'll be sending pix from his first show which should be the end of October!

Sorry all for the disgustingly long unabashed brag - I'm just very pleased with my handsome Roman-nosed boy! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

free
Sep. 8, 2002, 08:03 PM
CoolMeadows.....When you post the new photos, could you please include the old photo from the Canter site so that we can compare? How long was he on the Canter site before you purchased him? What appealed to when you first saw his photo? Did you notice his sweet personality immediately? Thanks.

CoolMeadows
Sep. 9, 2002, 12:31 PM
Free - I saw his head shot on CANTER one day and really loved his expression - it was soft and intelligent. But I resisted and didn't call to ask for a full body picture.

A couple days later I went back to the site to look again and they had taken down the head shot and put up a side view of him. He had his head way up, was half way through a blink which made him look pig eyed and looked like he was just about to walk off. I liked him even more. He had a great shoulder coupled with a slightly prominent wither and longish fore-arm which often indicates a free mover and the ability to rotate the fore-arm upwards and release the wither over the jumps. His back was medium length and he's slightly goose rumped (which IS different than a jumper's bump). A goose rump means he has a hip angle of 28 degrees or more and often indicates a powerful hind end. His gaskins are massive, his chest is broad and he has biiig butt when you look at him from behind. I wasn't crazy about his neck, but I realize that he's raced for 6 years, and it was still in proportion and he still had an overall balanced look to him.

So I waited a couple of more days since I really wasn't looking for a horse, but I did finally break down and call. NMS told me about him, that he was a good mover, balanced and sound. I think he'd been with CANTER for about 2 weeks. She gave me his ex-trainer's # and they gave me more information. So I went ahead and got him. Like I really needed another horse right now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif He is an honest, intelligent, sound guy with a good jump and big free movement. He might not turn into a world beater but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm just looking to enjoy him at whatever level he ends up being capable of. I will get some before and after shots of him. I wish I'd gotten more pix the first day he arrived, but the camera died. I thought it was the batteries, but it looks like I need to either get a new digital or try to get this one repaired. Now, have you learned to never ask me about my horses unless you want a novel? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I do have this head shot from his first day home - this is pretty much his standard expression although the halter rubs and whiskers are gone now! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Tork's cute face. (http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic/s/691099205/a/ga/ul/3543064256/Torkface.jpg)

free
Sep. 9, 2002, 07:02 PM
CoolMeadow......Thank you SO VERY MUCH for the detailed reply! This is the way that I learn. I hope that you won't mind my copying it. So much information!

NMS
Sep. 11, 2002, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the update Coolmeadows. He's such a lucky boy to be so well loved by you. We can't wait to post photos of your first show (hint hint)....

LAZ
Sep. 11, 2002, 08:48 PM
See my post on Obie in the open forum. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif