PDA

View Full Version : Critique my new horse, please!

nuevaburro
May. 8, 2012, 09:13 AM
Getting a new horse and would love insight into what you like, dislike, or would work on with him. The rider is NOT ME!! And yes. I know he has a pencil neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Od5mvueGZE

BoyleHeightsKid
May. 8, 2012, 09:45 AM
He seems like a very nice boy! Don't worry about the neck, that will improve with good nutrition and correct work and conditioning. Good luck with him, he's handsome!

netg
May. 8, 2012, 06:26 PM
My problems with him are all training/conditioning, so congrats on finding a horse who can look a WHOLE lot nicer with some good correct work!

I would stay off his back as much as possible - meaning, don't sit too deep in the saddle right now. Possibly do some long and low longeing. He has no topline and a weak looking back, more from lack of muscle than likely actual tendency to be weak there. He seems to be ridden in a frame, without consideration for his body. I'd not worry about head height/position, but work on teaching him to truly bend, and use that bending to help him learn to relax his body. Right now he travels croup high, but that's in large part due to the fact he's both hollow and tense in his back - helping him relax should help him be able to step under himself, and asking him to bend starting on large circles, then using the inside leg to ask him to step under himself will help him naturally start to better use his hind end. I would NOT sit his trot for at least 6 months, no matter how well you sit. Longer if he takes longer to build back strength.

I think he has potential to be quite a cute mover, with good basic gaits, and congrats - he looks like a sweet boy!

SendenHorse
May. 8, 2012, 06:33 PM
I got a new horse that was very underdeveloped and what helped was LONG and low stretching--I mean LONG REINS (as much as the horse will take and maintain connection).

let him really lift his back and stretch. I would also do hills.

Nice horse, I would not ride him as he is shown here till he has muscled out a lot-- perhaps a good 4-6 months depending on how fast he packs on the pounds. He could be ridden a bit more forward too but the L and L work will encourage that too.

I also added a rice bran supplement to assist with the nutrition for his new workload.

netg
May. 8, 2012, 06:36 PM
I got a new horse that was very underdeveloped and what helped was LONG and low stretching--I mean LONG REINS (as much as the horse will take and maintain connection).

let him really lift his back and stretch. I would also do hills.

Nice horse, I would not ride him as he is shown here till he has muscled out a lot-- perhaps a good 4-6 months depending on how fast he packs on the pounds. He could be ridden a bit more forward too but the L and L work will encourage that too.

I also added a rice bran supplement to assist with the nutrition for his new workload.

I agree with this post completely. I always forget other people have hills...

NOMIOMI1
May. 8, 2012, 06:43 PM
If you dont cavaletis are great too:)

This horse is lovely op... Listen to the above and i would add some cavaletis and youre golden :)

Petstorejunkie
May. 8, 2012, 07:46 PM
He has fantastic potential. Nice rhythm and freedom. With 200 more pounds and a solid training program, he will probably turn out fancy!

Carol Ames
May. 8, 2012, 08:12 PM
This horse has so much going for him,:yes: I don't know where to star:lol:, first" three goo:yes:d gaits, an excellent walk:); very attractive trot:yes:, especially for an OTTB, good canter, too:winkgrin:; raised cavaletti are definitely called for; first, lead him over the cavaletti, unmounted; then ride him over at a walk, in a light half:cool: seat, 2 point, or what ever you want to call:winkgrin: it; he will want/ try to stretch down after:cool:; if you never do these at a trot, doesn't matter:no: as he learns he is building his hind end and lumbar sacral portion of his back; give him time:yes: to figure out where to put his hind legs; this, learning period is important , too,if he has difficulty with this, put all the cavaletti FLAT:yes: also do the Tellington Touch leg circles will help; he has such a nice, free moving hind :cool:end, we want it to experience all the possibilities for movement/ use

paintlady
May. 8, 2012, 08:21 PM
I couldn't help but notice that the video is from 2009 - 2.5 years ago. What does he look like now?

nuevaburro
May. 8, 2012, 11:09 PM
I couldn't help but notice that the video is from 2009 - 2.5 years ago. What does he look like now?

He looks like that, but probably with even less muscle. He has been sitting in a pasture doing not much for 2 or 3 years. Should I not ride at all until he gets more weight? He is not ribby, just underconditioned.

lovey1121
May. 8, 2012, 11:14 PM
This horse has so much going for him,:yes: I don't know where to star:lol:, first" three goo:yes:d gaits, an excellent walk:); very attractive trot:yes:, especially for an OTTB, good canter, too:winkgrin:; raised cavaletti are definitely called for; first, lead him over the cavaletti, unmounted; then ride him over at a walk, in a light half:cool: seat, 2 point, or what ever you want to call:winkgrin: it; he will want/ try to stretch down after:cool:; if you never do these at a trot, doesn't matter:no: as he learns he is building his hind end and lumbar sacral portion of his back; give him time:yes: to figure out where to put his hind legs; this, learning period is important , too,if he has difficulty with this, put all the cavaletti FLAT:yes: also do the Tellington Touch leg circles will help; he has such a nice, free moving hind :cool:end, we want it to experience all the possibilities for movement/ use

Second this! Great advice.

SnicklefritzG
May. 9, 2012, 12:49 AM
The topline and neck with come with time and correct work. That has been my own experience with my OTTB who, while fit when I got her, was on the lean side.

The fastest way to progress with a horse like this is to go slow in the beginning. Get the rhythm and balance down and then all of a sudden things will click and be much easier then trying to force them early on.. Advice I got from a clinician I worked with a number of years ago.

BoyleHeightsKid
May. 9, 2012, 06:15 AM
My OTTB went from this:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/boyleheightskid/Boyalmost1year.jpg

To this:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/boyleheightskid/DSC00013.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/boyleheightskid/Tues%20Night%20Jumpers/Picture029.jpg

:yes:

nuevaburro
May. 9, 2012, 07:55 AM
Ok, caveletti , long and low, lunging, and groceries :) Thanks! And BoyleHeightsKid that is quite a transformation, hope I can follow in your footsteps! I couldn't believe seeing all that potential just sitting in a pasture next to some rusty farm equipment :no: