PDA

View Full Version : Non-Warmbloods showing Grand Prix level?

Ernesto
May. 7, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hello:

Is anyone aware of any horses who are NOT warmbloods that are currently showing at the Grand Prix level?

cnm161
May. 7, 2012, 11:10 PM
I've found 3 in the current standings for Dressage Horse of the Year (http://www.usdf.org/awards/preliminary/RegularResults.asp). 2 of which are Andalusians or Lusitanos, and the third is a Lipizzaner.

The rest of the currently 69-spot list are of various warmblood registries.

As a caveat, these are only the horses that have enough scores to rank, and have a median score above 60%, so there's naturally going to be some number left off that list.

The list at the end of the show season (i.e. October) should be more inclusive.

MysticOakRanch
May. 7, 2012, 11:11 PM
Pick up the USDF Yearbook - there are always horses of many breeds at the FEI levels. Tbreds, Friesians, Morgans, Andalusians, Lusitanos, Arabians, etc.

exvet
May. 7, 2012, 11:16 PM
Currently the welsh cob stallion, North Forks Brenin Cardi is showing grand prix. I believe he made his debut earlier this spring.

horsetales
May. 8, 2012, 09:02 AM
Galanta is an Irish Draught Sport Horse showing GP, Steeped in Luck is an Irish Draught currently at Intermediate.

There are some other Irish Draught Sport horses out there and I know I've seen one listed as an American Warmblood rather than an IDSH

Marla 100
May. 8, 2012, 09:32 AM
Harry Callahan, an American Saddlebred showed GP. Here in Fl. I know of a TB and NSH also.

Eclectic Horseman
May. 8, 2012, 09:43 AM
www.dressagedaily.com/market/horse-market/audacity-video-added

tryintogethere
May. 8, 2012, 10:18 PM
Silva Martin has a OTTB (I think he raced) named Sea Lord that was doing GP last year.

NotGrandPrixYet
May. 8, 2012, 10:30 PM
OKW Entrigue+++// is a polish arabian stallion that has had success at the GP level.

SnicklefritzG
May. 8, 2012, 11:48 PM
Cindi Wylie has competed both TB's and Morgans successfully at GP.

SnicklefritzG
May. 9, 2012, 12:04 AM
and Pam Fowler Grace showed an Appaloosa at GP. Pay-N-Go was so cute!!!

http://www.pamgrace.com/Pages/PayNGo.html

exvet
May. 9, 2012, 12:33 AM
Well if we're going to reach back to the recent past, Nancy Hinz competed the Welsh Cob stallion Kentchurch Chime to grand prix as well. Patty Montana competed the Welsh Cob gelding Gerrig Quest through at least I-1.

goodpony
May. 9, 2012, 12:55 AM
a friend trained/successfully competed her ranch bred QH to GP. A half bred Connemara named Seldom Seen competed internationally and another half Connemara named Little Model competed in the Olympics with the UK team.

NotGrandPrixYet
May. 9, 2012, 03:42 AM
Against All Odds was a PMU foal. His breeding is QH, Belgian Draft, and TB. He is a GP horse.

TemJeito
May. 9, 2012, 06:14 AM
I don't mean to pick on the OP, but why must we have this same thread every month :( ? I'm genuinely curious why it matters. Maybe we need a sticky that "Yes, some non-Warmbloods do get to Grand Prix" :lol: So what? We ride the horse we have, not somebody else's ;)

quietann
May. 9, 2012, 08:44 AM
Cindi Wylie has competed both TB's and Morgans successfully at GP.

Most recently she's had Audacity, who is a TB/Morgan cross; his sire is a Morgan she rode previously to 4th level, EM-Jac's Tenacity. I think she has Audacity up for lease or sale, but I am not sure.

quietann
May. 9, 2012, 08:46 AM
I don't mean to pick on the OP, but why must we have this same thread every month :( ? I'm genuinely curious why it matters. Maybe we need a sticky that "Yes, some non-Warmbloods do get to Grand Prix" :lol: So what? We ride the horse we have, not somebody else's ;)

Actually, I don't think I've seen a thread like this before. This one is simply a list of non-WB GP horses, without the argument about whether non-WBs are capable of GP. It's quite a breath of fresh air!

I will add West Mtn Winston, a Morgan stallion, to the list.

Eclectic Horseman
May. 9, 2012, 08:48 AM
Quietann, see the link I posted.
Discobold, the discussion would be much shorter if one asked what non-warmbloods were recently competitive on the regional, national or international levels.

meupatdoes
May. 9, 2012, 09:49 AM
Balagur did the most recent Olympics and he is an Orlov Trotter.
(Unless I am missing something and that's actually a warmblood.)

MysticOakRanch
May. 9, 2012, 09:53 AM
We just had a photo shoot at my ranch - two horses there were GP horses, my own Friesian/WB cross stallion and an Arabian. Waiting for all the pics - but fun stuff, piaffe by the pond, pirouettes in a field of flowers, extended trot through the meadow:lol:

NOMIOMI1
May. 9, 2012, 11:11 AM
And even more to the point why look for GP if you are still at 1st?

If your horse makes it to second with you as a full time rider isnt that fantastic?

Get to where you have maxed you and your horses potential if you dont know a judge will no doubt tell ya lol! Then worry about the next level which still may be aways from gp land.

WeDoItAll
May. 9, 2012, 03:09 PM
Currently the welsh cob stallion, North Forks Brenin Cardi is showing grand prix. I believe he made his debut earlier this spring.

Our pony club girls had the opportunity to meet him and help groom him to prepare for a stallion showcase. Great horse, great temperament, beautiful mover!

meupatdoes
May. 9, 2012, 03:12 PM
And even more to the point why look for GP if you are still at 1st?

If your horse makes it to second with you as a full time rider isnt that fantastic?

Get to where you have maxed you and your horses potential if you dont know a judge will no doubt tell ya lol! Then worry about the next level which still may be aways from gp land.

Did I miss the post where OP mentioned their current level, looking for prospects, or trying to move up?

NOMIOMI1
May. 9, 2012, 03:23 PM
Did I miss the post where OP mentioned their current level, looking for prospects, or trying to move up?

I was commenting on the post before me and in general I should have been more clear

TemJeito
May. 9, 2012, 04:10 PM

I wrote a longer post earlier but deleted it. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't see the point of the question. Every horse is an individual. The vast majority of horses at GP are Warmbloods, but the vast majority of Warmbloods don't get to GP. We all know there are non-Warmbloods competing at GP, but they're rare. Knowing that non-Warmbloods can make it to Grand Prix doesn't make it any more or less likely than mine or yours will. I think sometimes we spend too much time worrying about these things, instead of just riding the horse we have to the best of our (and their) ability.

quietann
May. 9, 2012, 04:11 PM
I was commenting on the post before me and in general I should have been more clear

That seems like a rather personal attack. That poster (MysticOakRanch) said nothing about her own riding, what level she rides etc. Just that two non-WB GP horses had done a photo shoot at her ranch.

TemJeito
May. 9, 2012, 04:16 PM
That seems like a rather personal attack. That poster (MysticOakRanch) said nothing about her own riding, what level she rides etc.

In all fairness, I wrote a post after MysticOak's that I deleted. Maybe she was commenting on mine. Attack me if you're going to attack anyone, but better still don't attack at all :D

NOMIOMI1
May. 9, 2012, 04:54 PM
Thank you lol

I thought i was losing my mind!

Yes i posted in response to a deleted post and now i look crazier than usual aaaaahhhh well!

Niennor
May. 9, 2012, 06:32 PM
http://www.eurodressage.com/equestrian/2010/10/12/rubi-king-lusitanos-takes-his-throne

MysticOakRanch
May. 9, 2012, 06:40 PM
In all fairness, I wrote a post after MysticOak's that I deleted. Maybe she was commenting on mine. Attack me if you're going to attack anyone, but better still don't attack at all :D

I was just commenting on the OPs question - that we had two GP horses at my place last week (not sure if my stallion qualifies as a WB - he is American Warmblood, but not traditional Euro WB) that met the OPs criteria. Non-WB, GP horses.

I am not a GP rider - currently showing 4th level, but I don't think that is relevant? I'm not in attack mode at all, and must have missed the deleted post. Was it aimed at my post?

netg
May. 9, 2012, 07:01 PM
If you don't see the point... don't answer.

The OP asked a question, and there are some helpful links to other threads. I don't, for example, remember seeing the link to Rubi.

I ride an "off breed" who I'm pretty sure would do well in WB inspection if he were a mare, and who has lots of talent. He's lighter in the body, smaller hooved and longer-legged than a typical WB, but still of a similar type. If he were talented yet looked drastically different from most warmbloods, I would be eating up every image of an upper level non-warmblood I could, given so many folks think a warmblood is the ONLY way to go. I still enjoy them anyway, especially because you see a variety of riding - spectacularly good as well as not so much - more than you do with international GP warmbloods in general. It's just fun and interesting. :)

NOMIOMI1
May. 9, 2012, 08:36 PM
I was just commenting on the OPs question - that we had two GP horses at my place last week (not sure if my stallion qualifies as a WB - he is American Warmblood, but not traditional Euro WB) that met the OPs criteria. Non-WB, GP horses.

I am not a GP rider - currently showing 4th level, but I don't think that is relevant? I'm not in attack mode at all, and must have missed the deleted post. Was it aimed at my post?

Not at all mystic it was an error that it had anything to do with your post ..

It was a general post and so was mine in addition to it but neither was directed at you :)

champagnetaste
May. 10, 2012, 06:52 AM
See here: http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2008/04/non-warmbloods-in-dressage-breath-of.html

sophie
May. 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
I think it's refreshing to see lots of different "models" of horses in the same competition. In any competition, not just dressage, for that matter!
I especially love to see the "little guys" (Morgans, Connemaras, etc.). And it's not that I have anything against WBs, I grew up riding them. I just like variety. And as a small person, I'd much rather ride a Morgan or small Tb than a huge WB (been there, done that, ack!)

costco_muffins
May. 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Jillian Santi and Star:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEYH02HfuM

clbailey54
May. 11, 2012, 06:23 PM
KB Omega Fahim++++// Arabian stallion shows GP and daughter, Half Arab/Half Paint, KB Jull Fahim+// is expected to advance from I2 to GP by the end of this year. I appreciate this thread and celebrating other breeds that have succeeded to this level.

Ernesto
May. 24, 2012, 11:52 PM
Many thanks to those who took the time to answer my original question. I've been away for a few weeks and have just returned to normal life in front of the computer. I do not come from a dressage background and was simply curious to see if there was any sort of shift towards the more refined North American sport horse TB-type in recent years. I drew a blank when trying to recall if I'd seen any team horses winning at the GP level who weren't Warmbloods with specifically European bloodlines.
Thanks again.

Ambitious Kate
May. 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
and Pam Fowler Grace showed an Appaloosa at GP. Pay-N-Go was so cute!!!

http://www.pamgrace.com/Pages/PayNGo.html
That is one loud horse!

I'm seeing spots before my eyes...:eek:

Kyzteke
May. 26, 2012, 09:30 AM
Many thanks to those who took the time to answer my original question. I've been away for a few weeks and have just returned to normal life in front of the computer. I do not come from a dressage background and was simply curious to see if there was any sort of shift towards the more refined North American sport horse TB-type in recent years.
Thanks again.

Yes, the trend in both Europe AND the US is towards refinement in WB breeding. But in general breeders aren't using non-trad breeds to refine -- they are using the same breeds they have always used: TBs & Trakes.