PDA

View Full Version : Local Tranier lesson prices??

eaglesnest2
May. 7, 2012, 10:51 AM
How much would you pay for lessons with the following:

Local trainer not certified and silver medalist.

Local trainer USDF certified through second level and gold medalist.

If certification and/or what level the trainer rides does not determine the cost of a lesson, then what does?

MysticOakRanch
May. 7, 2012, 11:21 AM

If certification and/or what level the trainer rides does not determine the cost of a lesson, then what does?

Location is a big determination of price.

Accomplishments - of trainer and students. Gold or silver medalist means nothing - I've seen a few trainers borrow a schoolmaster and get their medals - doesn't impress me. But if they've trained the horse up the levels themselves, that is a better qualification. Even better - their students are moving up the levels too - and ride well and treat their horses well. And trainer has brought several horses up the levels.

Facility - you will probably pay more for a trainer with a nicer facility (indoor arena, better footing, etc).

ThreeFigs
May. 7, 2012, 11:25 AM
Lots of factors enter in.

Does the trainer travel to the student or vice versa? Do they have school horses available? What's the "going rate" for instruction in your area? Which trainer produces the results you like? Which one has a teaching style you prefer? Certification and medals are no guarantee that the instructor is competent or sympathetic with students. There are those who are fantastic natural riders but cannot explain how they get their results.

I'd expect to pay more for lessons on school horses. I'd expect to pay more for a trainer who's willing to drive to my facility. I'd expect to play more for lessons in an indoor arena with good footing.

My market is nowhere comparable, but I see prices anywhere from $40 to $125.00 for lessons.

ThreeFigs
May. 7, 2012, 11:26 AM
MOR, your answer is so good it makes mine redundant!

2tempe
May. 7, 2012, 11:31 AM
Given your location, (and the above input) I would think that somewhere in the $50-75 range would be reasonable. I had a wonderful trainer whose qualifications were similar to your description when I lived in Ohio; she was charging $65 three years ago. Also, she was a "floater" so came to my barn, did not work out of one barn.

paintlady
May. 7, 2012, 11:44 AM
Lesson prices in my area seem to range from $55-$75. I've taken a couple of lessons from Dutch trainers - so no US certification or medals, but still very talented in their own right (one is a former Dutch National Champion).

mbm
May. 7, 2012, 11:53 AM

I dont use certification in our USDF system to tell me how good a trainer is. so your questions are meaningless to me.

However, i will say that i pay less than 70/lesson from a FEI trainer/rider who was trained under some of the absolute best trainers (Theordorescu, Grillo, etc)

I think most trainers charge WAY TOO MUCH.

to answer your last question: knowledge and ability to teach is what should decide prices. but in reality we know it is popularity/marketing/Show scores that actually is what sets prices.

netg
May. 7, 2012, 11:57 AM
I think lessons in my area for most trainers are around $40. We're a very inexpensive area.

It just really varies!

Also, the above posts give some really good input. There are plenty of gold medalists I wouldn't consider riding with as they can't train one horse up the levels, and have to replace horses every few years for one who is not either lame or crazy, or simply lacking the correct muscling to improve its work. There are other trainers who have trained horses up the levels without the funds to show at rated shows and get medals. There are a lot of different situations, and I'd pay more for the trainer who is the right fit for what I need than the one with all kinds of kudos because it's a waste of money if it's not someone who can help you.