PDA

View Full Version : CDS rosettes

Dogsandponies
May. 6, 2012, 10:51 PM
I'm a California Dressage Society member. Last year I competed my young horse and earned some good scores which qualified me for year-end rosettes. I didn't know what to expect, maybe a ribbon, but my "rosettes" turned out to be a small brass plate with a sticky strip on the back with my and horsie's name on it.
What I am I supposed to do with it? My husband suggested buying my own perpetual trophy and sticking this and future plates on it. I don't think that's what most people do.
What do most people do?

FLeventer
May. 6, 2012, 11:00 PM
What a crap prize. Use them on your bridle racks I guess. At least you can tell which ones are yours by pretty tags.

KMErickson
May. 6, 2012, 11:18 PM
I too received my first 'rosettes' this past year and have been wondering what to do with them--they're currently sitting in a pile of papers on my desk, which is not very useful. I think you can buy a little wooden plaque thing through CDS, which you can then mount every year's rosettes onto, but this doesn't appeal to me at all. I like the bridle rack idea, or maybe I'll add them onto my wooden tack trunk at home...

Any other ideas? Creative appreciated :)

FLeventer
May. 6, 2012, 11:18 PM
Put them on frames or ribbon racks.

honeydoozy
May. 6, 2012, 11:58 PM
I think the idea is that people will buy the CDS plaques to stick the "rosettes" on each year. Mine (3 years of 'em) are in the bottom of a drawer somewhere, because it's just a pain to figure out the where/how/$$ of buying the plaque. Maybe if I took the time to set it up, it would be a cool thing. Maybe.:winkgrin:

Then again, the lack of emphasis on meaningful recognition, both at the state and chapter level, is just another reason why I'm not spending $$ to join CDS this year.

Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider
May. 7, 2012, 12:50 AM
What sort of "meaningful recognition" are you looking for?:lol: I mean, come on, this is dressage (rarely any money unless you win national, regional, or CDI level, rarely a fancy halter, rarely a fancy cooler, no saddles, no horse trailers:lol::lol::lol:) - we do it because we love it and for it's artistic value, right? ;)

I have a bunch of CDS, and a bunch of ODS (Oregon Dressage Society) so CDS is not alone with giving those out. All the other CDS and ODS are in a drawer along with the USDF medals. One year I got a several CDS perpetual trophies and had to have my own brass tags made up at my expense (which I was happy to do), so I mounted them on the trophies I got to keep for a year, and then returned them when my time was up.

Not sure what you mean by lack of meaningful recognition; my name and horses were listed as champs of our divisions or that we met the criteria for rosettes, so personally I am happy with that. State and CHAPTER level? Oregon doesn't have chapter level (but of course much less populated) that I am aware of. I believe they do have league shows (not state shows) and they have separate championships.

Out of curiousity, what do other regions and states offer?

KMErickson
May. 7, 2012, 01:05 AM
I think what CDS does is as good as any other in terms of recognition - I just don't want to do the bigger wooden plaque idea (especially since I will not be living in CA for much longer and so the number of CDS rosettes in my future is probably very small) and am not creative enough to come up with something else!

I like the picture frame idea. I have a great photo from one of the shows that earned me that rosette that I've been wanting to frame; I'll get a frame with a large enough area to add the rosette on bottom. Thanks, FLeventer, for the suggestion!

Beentheredonethat
May. 7, 2012, 01:13 AM
They used to send you a backing to stick them on way back when. I filled that up a long time ago and I think some are on another I have and sitting in drawers. I wouldn't do the drawer thing. Just buy a cheap wooden backing and put them on it as you get them--at least you don't lose them that way. Picture frames work, too.

Peggy
May. 7, 2012, 01:22 AM
Way back when they used to send you the wooden thingie (the plaque) to mount them on. Free. Now you pay for it. I have mine on my desk, propped up against the wall. Kind of a fun remembrance.

MysticOakRanch
May. 7, 2012, 11:38 AM
I keep them in a file with my other horse info. Yeah, you can buy the CDS frame. Or - one of my trainers did a really nifty shadow box with USDF medals, her plates (at FEI levels only), and a few other winnings that meant something to her.

Peggy
May. 7, 2012, 12:15 PM
I keep them in a file with my other horse info. Yeah, you can buy the CDS frame. Or - one of my trainers did a really nifty shadow box with USDF medals, her plates (at FEI levels only), and a few other winnings that meant something to her.
That would solve the issue of what to do with my Bronze medal aside from staring at it in my jewelry box and thinking about how hard I worked to get it.

MysticOakRanch
May. 7, 2012, 12:20 PM
That would solve the issue of what to do with my Bronze medal aside from staring at it in my jewelry box and thinking about how hard I worked to get it.

Oh, don't even think about how much it COST you :lol:

yaya
May. 7, 2012, 01:33 PM
Especially now that you have to buy the medals, too, when they used to be free.

Peggy
May. 7, 2012, 02:51 PM

Mine was free in the same sense that a free animal is free. Perhaps I should west if while serving beverages in my $1K set of glasses.

Mardi
May. 7, 2012, 07:20 PM

'scuse me ??

You have to pay for the USDF medals you earn ?

Puddin Pie
May. 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
I thought that my bronze medal itself was free, but that I had to pay for the lapel pin. Of course, I did spend a pretty penny to get it and my old Arabian Saddle Seat Equitation medals shadow box framed. I hope that lapel pin is on my jacket!! I am not really sure right now.

Beentheredonethat
May. 7, 2012, 11:41 PM
I have all six medals. I never paid for anything, as i, I had to send in money for them after qualifying. The cost of getting the requirements for them is a whole 'nother thing. Mine came in a little plastic box, so that's how I "present" them.

yaya
May. 8, 2012, 12:10 AM
The medals used to be free. The bronze I got in 2009 was free. I had to pay $25 for my silver in 2010.

They call it a processing fee. Since it's all done online now, who's doing the processing? $25 to stick a medal in an envelope? Really?

Beentheredonethat
May. 8, 2012, 01:33 AM
Wow. That sucks. So tacky. I think with all of the fees they could spring for a $1 medal and $1 shipping.

Sandy M
May. 8, 2012, 10:27 AM
Way back when they used to send you the wooden thingie (the plaque) to mount them on. Free. Now you pay for it. I have mine on my desk, propped up against the wall. Kind of a fun remembrance.

Yes. I have the wooden plaque and it was free. IIRC you had to get 5 over 60% scores and they gave you the wooden plaque. Fairly fancy with top brass fitting w. the CDS emblem and a statement of what it was awarded for. If you want more "recognition" I guess you need to go to the awards dinner and you'll get your nane and # of rosettes announced to all and sundry. I stopped going when they started to have the dinners at places where the tab was $60+each.

Sandy M
May. 8, 2012, 10:29 AM
'scuse me ??

You have to pay for the USDF medals you earn ?

Oh yeah. I've qualified for the 'Masters Challenge" but I'm not about to pay $25 for a piece of paper.

mbm
May. 8, 2012, 12:12 PM
wow. and they wonder why people are dropping off like flies in dressage shows?

snow horse
May. 8, 2012, 05:04 PM
Our CDS plaques are mounted side by side in long line around our tack room above the bridle racks. It's nice to see the progression from training level to FEI as the horses move up the levels.